Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    I had one on my 2001 Disco and it was through Land Rover. There was a deductible of i think 100 dollars and it worked out well. just like the reg warranty except for the 100 deductible which is nothing in land rover dollars. I am interested to hear how people respond but I am guessing if you get it through land rover you are safe othewise i would ask the dealer what extended programs to look at. I would hate to have to go to Sam Auto Body and Sandwich Shop to get my 60,000 vehicle repaired.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    I strongly recommend you get it through LR - and you must buy it before your 4-50 factory warranty is within a month or 1000 miles of expiration. You can tailor it to miles you will drive per year and deductible from $0 to $250. Most of my customers do the $100 deductible.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    You can ask but I don't recall the answer. I had a special circumstance since I got a full credit for replacement of one of my factory Goodyears that was not repairable, plus I traded in the other 4 tires, and to top it off I bought them through a connection I had at Discount Tire.

The noise is louder than the factory tires but I suspect not as loud as the factory tires would have become in another 5 to 10K miles - they were getting louder. It is not objectionable and I usually drive with the windows open.

Jack
  • zoeyjrtzoeyjrt Member Posts: 6
    I have found a number of third party warranty companies but does Land Rover proper offer such a thing? I would appreciate any specifics such as contact info or even recommended third party warranty companies for an LR3.

Thanks,
    David
    i think if the LR is under warranty still you can add an extension. And i think its easiest just to ask the dealer that sold you the car.

Perhaps the guy from teh dealer who is on here can answer. i would go with and LR extended warranty. Who needs the hassle of some third party leveraging risk.
    I would shy away from any 3rd party warranties. I have seen too many claims denied that should have been approved. See your LR dealer for a warranty.
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    Land Rover offers two or three flavors of extended warranty that are very good. The finance department of your local dealer can explain the coverage and cost. They are not inexpensive but will provide good protection once the factory warranty is up. I believe you must purchase the contract before the factory warranty expires and have the vehicle inspected if you purchase the warranty at a later date.
  • lr3suckslr3sucks Member Posts: 9
    I have a LR3 HSE with 600 miles on it. The vehicle was drivable, but the audio system and the navigation system were inoperable. The trip computer was functioning, but not correctly. Since it was Sunday there was no service at the dealer. By Monday the LR3 had a total electrical failure and would not jumpstart. After towing it to the dealer, they claim they could jumpstart it and everything worked normally after starting the LR3. Has anyone had similar problem? What happened? Did it recur? Has it ever left you stranded in a remote site?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Were you using a bluetooth phone with the LR3 right before the audio system shut down?

The only time I have seen a failure like that is when someone was talking on a bluetooth cellphone connected to the vehicle and they tried to switch a call with call waiting.

It has only happened three times in the three years they have had bluetooth phones in Land Rovers but every time that was the problem. It doesn't seem to happen every time you try and switch calls with call waiting but it does happen sometimes.

The remedy has always been to completely disconnect the phone from the car. You do this buy going into the bluetooth menu on your phone and shutting the connection down. Then shut off the car and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Once you restart the car everything should be fine.
    I do not have a bluetooth phone, nor was I using my cell phone, so it seems unlikely this was the cause. When the initial failures of the Audio system, Navigation system, Voice Recognition system occured the LR3 was drivable and I was doing errands. The vehicle was turned on and off several times without fixing the problem, so it doesn't seem to be a "re-boot" issue for computer chips. In the morning I found the LR3 without power, and curiously, could not be jumpstarted. Had to be towed to the dealer.

As an aside, to have the vehicle towed I called Land Rover Roadside Assistance. The driver of the first tow truck they sent stated he was not equiped to deal with an electrically disabled 4-wheel drive vehicle and left. I called Land Rover Roadside Assistance a second time and they said they would send a second tow truck. However, a short time later Roadside Assistance called me back and placed me in a 3-way conversation with the second tow truck driver to negotiate with the driver for him to come assist. Eventually, he did. Overall, a very poor performance by Land Rover Roadside Assistance.
    If this only happened once, that's hardly an indictment of Land Rover engineering or build quality. I'm approaching 10,000 miles in an LR3 HSE--both on and off road driving--and it has been flawless--it's a better vehicle all around than my 1997 Range Rover was in its day.

Referring back to the first response about Bluetooth phones: some of the quirkiness of bluetooth operations have to do with that technology and are not unique to Land Rovers. I use my Motorola Razer with my LR3. The only quirk I noted is that the phone stays locked in to the truck after I stop the engine until I walk at least 10 meters away from the truck. That's great if you want to complete a conversation without idling the engine for a long time. But, if I get a call while I'm standing outside the LR3, I can't answer on the cell phone because the call is routed through the LR3. That's not a Land Rover problem, and I can live with it. If you're old enough to remember the days before cell phones, this bluetooth stuff is nothing short of magic. I'm thrilled to have the phone synch with the LR3 as soon as I unlock the doors, and to have hands-free cell phone capability while I'm driving. My wife says she can't tell the difference in sound quality. What more could you ask for?
    The iPhone gives you a choice on the screen when you have a bluetooh call in the car.

A separate screen comes up and asks if you want to switch the call to Land Rover, iPhone, iPhone external speaker. It is really a great idea because instead of being unable to answer the call when outside the car or stuck inside the car waiting to finish a call.

Just select iPhone, or external speaker and the call will switch instantly.
    I dont think roadside assistance is ever that good. i have never had luck with it with any vehicle type and i have stuck with AAA; that said I think Land Rover needs to sort out that problem and make sure its roadside assistance works. I am sure the problem relates to having to contract with many independant tow companies that its hit or miss. i also know that when i pushed the LR service guys where i take mine they said the LR3 is great but they are all still learning the electronics. that was over a year ago so hopefully its notas much of a black box.

knock on wood Im at 25000 miles on my LR3 SE7 and the thing is great. no problems less tire wear on the original GYs. Have Michelins now and tires are wearing fine. (oh and I am rotating at 5k)
    Last week the Audio system, navigation system and voice system began unoperable. The following day there was a total electical failure. When towed to the dealer no cause could be found. Unfortunately, today the same systems failed a second time. There is no blue tooth phone involved. The service department is closed for Labor Day. I was scheduled to be leaving on a 2000 mile trip today through deserts of Southwest, through Yosemite and on to San Francisco. A unreliable vehicle is a pointless waste.

In a more trivial, but annoying issue, the rear hatch lock had not released correctly since I obtained the vehicle. Since the LR3 was in for service with the electrical failure, I asked to have the rear hatch release fixed. When the vehicle was returned the lock released correctly 3 times. After that it became intermittant, and within a day did not work at all again.

Thus, my "Land Rover Experience" has been Land Rover Roadside Assistance sent a tow truck unequiped to deal with a disabled Land Rover and a second company had to be sent. The service department at Land Rover North Scottsdale was unable to diagnose the cause of the multisystem failure with subsequent total electrical failure. That multisystem failure is now happening a second time and ruined my trip. The service department at Land Rover North Scottsdale was unable to repair the rear hatch lock release appropriately. Not a happy story for 600 miles on the LR3.
    I think you are close to a Lemon law issue if that law exists in AZ. You may want to check into it. I hope you talk to the GM of the dealer but i think you need to or should i should say, write to LR N America - Fed ex a letter to the VP of customer affairs or whatever his title is. (Dont email them - either fed ex or fax. get attention) Try this guy MIKE WRIGHT, Title: Director, Retail Strategy and Customer Service, Jaguar and Land Rover - or try this guy- GARY TEMPLE AS EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT NORTH AMERICAN OPERATIONS. he is in Irvine california - I will see if i can find a fax number or the exact address in Irvine, as I drive by the building all the time)

Detail your problems and note the dealer and GM name of the dealer. Also tell them that you are sharing this on message boards. I really like land rovers but I want to see them improve the reliability.
    Other cars have the same types of problems (Just read the GMC and Chevy boards for the expensive denali, Yukons, and the Caddy Escalade - not exactly the same but breakdowns nonetheless). I own two LRs and had another one for a few years and never a breakdown. that said I hope your problems get fixed and LR takes responsiblity.
    I spoke to the General Manager after the first failure and the LR3 was returned with the claim the service department could find no cause for the problems. His response was "Drive it around and see if it fails again." If I had wanted this life experience I would have bought a 7 year old jeep, not spent $60,000 on a new LR3
    Which dealer location is this, I am curious
    This was at Land Rover North Scottsdale, Arizona.
    Thanks for your input. I have sent written complaints to Land Rover North America and the general manager of the dealership asking to reurn the LR3 and have my purchase money returned. I have also reviewed the Arizona statues regarding "Lemon Law" which I discussed with my attorney, albeit I was scheduled there for a completely different purpose. I appreciate the names you supplied. I realize that cars do have problems. However, it has been my experience with computer/electrical systems that if there unexplained system failures from the beginning, you can never get them right. Whether it is finding a intermittant short, a partially defective chip, an intermittant power surge from a bad voltage regulator or more likely the collision of multiple intermittant problems causing the multiple failures. My experience with computer/electrical systems has been these types of problems are nearly impossible to find and fix. Thus, I believe this LR3 is destined for a lifetime of trouble, and so does everyone I have talked to about this LR3's problems.

The vehicle has about 670 miles on it. That'a less than 27 hours running time (at an average of 25 mph, probably under-estimated for my average driving speed). This LR3 has now spent 40 hours in the service department (assuming an 8 hour day, probably an over-estimte for the hours worked on my LR3). But I don't think there is any other name but "Lemon" for a vehicle that has more shop time than running time.
    I recently bought an LR3, now with 700 miles on it. I took possession of the vehicle 47 days ago and it has now spent 16 days in the shop with the count rising since it is there again. It has had the navigation system, audio system, voice system fail on me 3 times, plus it failed once at the dealership after "repair" when they called me to pick up the LR3, and then had to call me back and tell me not to come yet as it failed again. The dealer says they re-booted and upgraded the software twice.
    Similarly, the last loaner vehicle was a 2007 LR3 with 7700 miles on it. During the days I drove it the audio system failed totally for a day, then the LED panel started working again but there was no sound for a day, and finally it started working correctly spontaneously. Thus, the 2 LR3's that I have spent more than a day in have both failed. A dismal record, and it appears from your posting that this problem is epidemic in Land Rover. I have reviewed the Arizona "Lemon Law" statutes which allow the dealer 4 attempts to repair the problem, or 30 days out of service over 2 years. I am counting both and will use this law when either trigger is reached. I have been extremely disappointed in Land Rover quality. When people ask me how I like my new car, I tell them it is a piece of sh*t.
    As one last aside, the loaner LR3 with 7700 miles on it was leaking oil onto my garage floor. This suggests a separate indictment of poor quality by either Land Rover or the dealer's service department. A vehicle that new should not leak oil.
    The LR2 and LR3 use completely different audio and navigation systems. Alpine makes the audio system for the LR2 and Harmon/Kardon makes the audio system for the LR3.

You got a bad car it can happen to anyone. I have dozens of customers in LR3s who have never had ANY ISSUES AT ALL with their cars. I have many, many more that have had minor problems but are still very satisfied with the vehicle. I have never had a lemon lawed or buy back LR3 that was one of my customers although my dealership has had two buy back LR3s in the three years LR3s have been on sale. Neither of those were lemon law vehicles however as their is a difference between lemon law and buy back proceedings.

Consult the lemon law in your state and see what your options are.
  • u2fan1967u2fan1967 Member Posts: 19
    Unless I'm blind, this is the LR2 forum and this post should have been put over here
    I acquired a new LR3 in August. Near the end of the month I was preparing to go on a trip and checked the tire pressure for the first time assuming (perhaps foolishly) that the dealer would prepare the car to Land Rover specification. The manual states the rear tires should be 42 psi and the front tires 33psi. I found the rear tires to be 45 & 47 psi and the front tires 42 psi each. Since my LR3 has been in the shop 3 times in the last three weeks for failures of the audio, navigation, and voices systems I had opportunity to ask about the tire presure and why the front tire pressure was much higher than the Land Rover specifications. The service cordinator told me they had found that if the pressure got below 38 psi the Low Tire Pressure Alarm would would be set off. I asked why this Alarm would go off at 5 psi above the Land Rover specification for front tires. He told me it had to do with the high temperatures in Arizona. It seems to me the correct fix is to adjust the sensors on the Low Tire Pressure Alarm, not over-inflate the tire. Does over-inflating the tires due to Arizona temperature make sense to anyone? What are the implications for tire wear in this setting? Has anyone else been told that the Low Preeure Alarm goes off at pressures above Land Rovers specified tire pressures?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Does over-inflating the tires due to Arizona temperature make sense to anyone?

Not to me. Higher temperature simply means that fewer air molecules need to be in the tire to achieve a given pressure. Overpressurization is overpressurization whether at 100° or 10°.

Higher ambient temperatures will also impede cooling of the tires while driving. The hotter temperatures in Arizona will thereby cause the pressure in those those overinflated tires to increase even more than in cold climates.

But the flip side also matters. Underinflation can cause tires to wear out faster due to increased frictional heating (internally and externally).

I would go with the recommendations stated in the manual.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    It has been a while since I've posted. My 2006 LR3 has 16,300 miles now with 21 months of ownership. Everything has been great, no problems.

I had Land Rover replace the rear view mirror. The buttons started to flake so LR replace the whole mirror. I like the new one a lot better as the garage buttons are on the bottom, not on the front of the mirror.

I'm very pleased to report that my LR has NO rock chips, NOT ONE! My previous Jeep Grand Cherokee's and Mercedes ML500 had them, especially the ML. My current Mercedes E430 sport has a lot of them.

Either I've been extremely lucky or LR has a better paint process or something (I certainly don't want to jinx it!)

My tires are wearing evening although they are making more noise than when they were new (not a problem so far). I'm very pleased as it has been smooth sailing.

lrsucks... sorry to hear about your new LR3, these are comfortable vehicles with plenty of power (I have the V-8) but when they are not working correctly, it can be frustrating. :sick:

Mark156 :shades:
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • morocco2morocco2 Member Posts: 43
    :shades: It has been a while since I have posted on these pages. I am closing up on 12months of trouble free ownership and 28,000kms driving pleasure.

The only minor problems I experience with my 2007 LR3 HSE were as follows:

-Condensation in headlamps promptly replaced
    -Vibration in passenger door front panel around speakers fixed

Took several long trips with the LR3 with kids and lots of luggage. Drove 14 hours straight once and the driving position and seat were both very comfortable. Yes the LR3 will never be known for its acceleration but the V8 provides plenty of power in all driving conditions including passing ;)

I am also sorry to hear about lr3sucks poor experience. The dealership here in Ottawa is excellent. SO far this is turning out to be one of the better ownership experience :shades:

The only frustrating part was arguing with the voice recognition system because of my French accent :mad: but I was able to work around it. Love the awesome sound system, Nav and bluetooth integration.

My next vehicle will be either an LR3 or I might step up to the RRS HSE
    I agree with tidester. I'm also an Arizona owner (bought my LR3 from LR North Scottsdale, like you). On road, you should maintain cold pressure at the PSI indicated on the door panel. While you drive, heat build-up in the tire will increase pressure by at least 4 PSI.

I don't know why dealer service tends to over-inflate--my vehicle was delivered almost 10 PSI over in each wheel. While it may give a more precise feel while you're turning, it's not good for the tires over-all.

If you go off-roard and drive in sand or over rocky cobbles, decreasing cold inflation by 5-10 PSI can enhance grip and protect tires somewhat against damage. If you do any amount of off-road driving, carry a portable air compressor with you to adjust inflation on the road.
  • zoeyjrtzoeyjrt Member Posts: 6
    We acquired our Chawton White LR3 in December of '04. This week, our 2005 SE7 V8 goes over 50,000 miles, so here is my update for drivers of lower mileage LR3s or those considering them.

To date, I would rate this truck a A- or B+. It has been very good but not perfect.

Issues: gas tank recall, battery died early, Goodyear tire life was very poor (rotation can extend tire to 22-25k maybe), low coolant sensor replaced, gas tank door latch replaced, few other minor items.

Enjoyment: Easily one of the most fun SUVs I've ever driven. It's a blast to drive this thing, even after all this time. Ours is normally used for suburban treks but I recently had the chance to really push the capabilities at a friend's farm. The LR3 took on trails that previously had been the domain of 4 wheelers only. It was unstoppable. There's something great about 4wheeling in air conditioned comfort in your massive luxo-SUV when it's 100 degrees out! This truck continue to turn heads and gets attention like something that costs twice as much. Hell, many Denalis and Expeditions sticker for more than this rig, but none have the "wow" factor because there just aren't very many LR3s on the road. Just put a new set of Toyo's on and highly recommend them.

Would I do it again?: My answer is a qualified YES. It's been a really fun truck and even though some have had problems, ours has been pretty reliable. My qualified answer is because it's a very expensive car to own and drive. If you're bothered by issues of value, don't get an LR3. If you can rationalize dropping $1,200 on tires every 18-24 months or $1,400 brake jobs at the LR dealer because you're driving something that few others have, then get one, you won't be sorry.
  • oshosh Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    I CAN'T GET IT YET ( AND SO MY LR DEALER).
    DOES THE LAZY ENTRY MODE MOVES THE SEAT BACK UPON TAKING IT OUT OF IGNITION AND FORWARD WHEN INSERTED?
    HOW DO YOU PROGRAM IT????
    HELP!
    THANKS.
  • dickvanwrinkledickvanwrinkle Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I purchased a 2005 LR3 SE with 7000 miles on it last fall. By the time we reached 8500 miles I noticed that the inside of the tires had worn way more than they are supposed to in that amount of time. We took the LR3 to Chantilly Land Rover and pointed out the issue in May. We were told that it is the nature of the beast and that an alignment is not covered in our warranty. They did rotate the tires for us. 1000 miles later we had the same issue. I contacted LRNA about the tire issue and was told it is not their problem that we must speak with the tire manufacturer. I spoke with Goodyear and they said that there was a large number of complaints about this issue but unfortunately the tires are not covered when an alignment is the cause of the problem. :confuse: I see that Land Rover did issue a memo LA 204-005 acknowledging that there is a problem and that there are to be adjustments made to the suspension of all affected LR3s (it list the range of effected VINs to include mine). There has also been a class action lawsuit issued in CA on this issue. Reading through all of the archives on here I have seen that some folks managed to get new tires out of LR and others have been told to pound sand. Does anyone have an update on this issue or a recent experience that they could share? My wife just took our LR3 in for service at Chantilly LR so I am going to have her address the issue with them now that the memo is out on this issue and see how they treat her about the issue. I wish we still lived in Richmond, Richmond LR was always great to deal with and probably would have found a way to resolve this issue. Other than the tire wear issue, a stuck sunroof (that was fixed right away), and trying to figure out the Blue tooth feature for the cell phone, we have loved this SUV. The LR3 does have limited space in the back seat for child safety seats. In order to make ours fit we have to put the passenger seat all the way up and forward.
  • dickvanwrinkledickvanwrinkle Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 LR3 SE. It has the little phone button on the radio but no volume adjustment knob on the steering wheel. I went to the Land Rover web site and looked up the blue tooth information. The site states that "All LR3s come equipped with Blue tooth", I tried all of the steps that were noted with my samsung and with my wifes Treo 650 and nothing happens. None of the dealers we spoke with seem to be able to figure out the answer for us. She recently asked Chantilly LR if we needed to buy additional equipment. The tech first told her how to pair her phone, she tried it (again) and still nothing. So the tech tried it with his phone...still nothing. :confuse: Then he looks at my wife like she is stupid and tells her, "Well the reason it doesn't work is because your LR3 doesn't have Blue tooth". :mad: Now they he recommends we go to some after market place to get it done and it is going to be between $700 to $1000. The manual says we have it, the website says we already have it, none of the techs seem to know anything about it...does my LR3 come with this thing or nor? Has anyone else struggled with this issue? Is there a tech out there who knows what he is talking about with this issue? Is it even worth getting the parts and trying this? We test drove an LR2 and the Blue tooth function in the LR2 worked flawlessly on the first try, not sure what is going on with the LR3
    IN 2005 LR3s did not have bluetooth. You can have it added at any Land Rover dealer and it is around 1,000 dollars installed.

When you are looking at the Land Rover website they are talking about 2008 LR3s and just about all of them have bluetooth phone connections.

You need to go to a different Land Rover dealer as the one you are going to seems pretty clueless. Anyone that has been around since the Launch of the LR3 should know that 2005 LR3s don't have bluetooth.

I suggest before you spend the money to get it put in to try the Treo with a LR3 on bluetooth and not a 2008. The treos before 2008 really struggled with connecting to all Land Rovers so not sure if the 2008 parts are backwards compatible with a 2005 or if they have just upgraded the Land Rover Kit accessories to 2008 specs. If the Treo is the only phone she wants to use then it would suck to have the bluetooh installed on your LR3 and then have it not work.
    I had the same issue but the response i got was as follows:

LRNA said talk to the dealer
    Dealer ended up doing two alignments for free. I had only rotated the tires once in 18,000. at 18,000 the dealer replaced all four tires and charged me for one and a half. I have michelins on there now. have about 10,000 miles on them and getting ready to rotate a second time. So far no noise and no unusual wear.

I trust the courts will provide everyone who had problems with some $$ on this issue. I think land rover should have stepped up and solved.

I talked to about 5 tire places about the issue and read stuff online regarding tire wear. THe wieght of the vehicle and the tires seem to lead to the problem as much as the alignment issue does. Any independant tire shop said the same thing - expect 20-25K max on tires on this vehicle. I am fine with that. This car is expensive and still is amazing.

The dealer i go to is Land Rover Mission Viejo in Mission Viejo CA. They are decent, but have grown and added Jaguar to the mix.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Well, along with some other posters, I would like to add my 2 cents worth of praise for the LR3. Mine is a 2005 HSE with 26,000 miles and it is an A+ vehicle compared to the Toyota, Mercedes, and Mazda - or any other of the 30+ vehicles I've owned. My tires are wearing even and are good for another 10,000 miles after two rotations. I've also had a 2000 DII that was perfect as well, so no boo hoo from me. GREAT VEHICLE(s) all around !!! BEST SUV available !.
  • born2roveborn2rove Member Posts: 1
    I live deep in the mountains and over 5 hours from the closest Land Rover dealership. Every winter we have well over 2 feet of snow on the ground and the LR3 trudges through it as if it were nothing. I have a 2005, now with about 73,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had was with a little water leak in the left bi-xenon headlamp and that was just last week. I have to say, I beat this car up and the typically cold conditions in my area make it even harder on the starter and other things, which is why I was surprised that this car holds up so well. My husband had a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and has had more problems because of the cold weather. Last year starter was replaced twice. Just two weeks ago we traded in his 2006 Jeep for an older 2002 Land Rover Discovery and even in its old age and 90,000 miles it is twice the SUV that the Jeep could have ever been. We are proud to be Land Rover owners and will no doubt continue to purchase Land Rover products. :)
  • cardiohexcardiohex Member Posts: 9
    I am new to this forum. We have had our 2005 LR3 for 2+ years now. We have had similar tire issues. It has been re-aligned twice and after 44k miles (at our cost) and have been through two sets of tires. LR Charlotte has stepped up for 3 tires (of 8) due to "unexpeced, uneven wear". There have been numerous recalls and we have had a number of issues with our DVD player (now on our third player; they just give you a new one when it craps out).

That is the hate part.

On the love side, it is a great long distance traveller, (except for the 18mpg highway). We have driven through ocean waves and low tide on the Outer Banks and the car performs very well. It is my wife's car and she loves it.

That being said, it is fairly high maintainence vehicle and it feels like there is always something wrong with it. We are looking at the Lexus hybrid SUV and will probably sell the car in the next 6 months. Anybody want to buy it?
    Others probably know more, but I have heard 2 things: 1. the 2005 models had the recall problems. I have an '06 and its been near flawless (less tire issue which was compensated for by dealer in part & i replaced with michelins which have even tire wear at 10K) and 2. the Lexus hybrid has no off road or utility value less being a station wagon-and dont get me wrong the hybrid part has value, but from a friend i talked to you will probably wash away in those low tide waves on the outer banks

It seems the '05 LR3s have all the technical problems.
    Thanks for the reply.
    It does seem the '05 LR3s have had the bulk of the issues.We will probably keep the car for another 8-10 months, but we use it primarily for shuttling the kids around town, so a hybrid would be nice... not doing as much off-roading as anticipated (soccer games + karate class + school pickups > mudding/off-roading). Such is life.
    This LR3 was involved in a head on collision with a Lexus but I am not sure what model as my client couldn't recognize the car after the wreck.

Not sure what the exact speeds involved were but around 40 mph is what I was told.

My clients wife and his baby were treated and released from the hospital on the same day. His wife just had some bruises from the airbag and seat belt.

The people in the Lexus were still in the hospital last time I heard.

As you can see from the pictures the windshield was not even broken. There is a tiny crack at the bottom of the bottom driver's side corner and that is it.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    That is some wreck! Glad to hear your clients are OK. From the pictures, it looks incredible how well the LR3 held up! The whole right side is still straight as an arrow.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Can you e-mail me those pics? Thanks
  • ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    What happened to the left rear window, covered in plastic?
    I was planning to do that tonight when I get home. My work computer is going stupid slow for some reason and I don't think it will be able to send the pictures.

Not sure what happened to the window maybe it broke when they were moving the wreck or maybe a bit of debris from the Lexus hit it during the accident. The rear fender flare below that window was ripped off so something must have hit that side either during the accident or right afterwards.
  • roblr3halifaxroblr3halifax Member Posts: 6
    Look up the meaning of the word OPTION -Blue tooth is listed as an available option
    I just posted here for the first time a few days ago complaining about how hard our '05 LR3 is on tires, I now see proof that the LR3 is a freakin' TANK (hence, hard on tires)...clearly is a safe car for my lovely wife and my two sons to drive in...
    Ironically, I have been investigating the LEXUS hybrid SUV as a "suitable" replacement....

Thanks for posting pix that will likely impact my future decisions on possible replacement for my wife's LR3...
    ;)
    If I'm remembering correctly, the 2005 model year was the first for the current LR3 chassis, so you may have suffered the usual v. 1.0 problems. My 2007 LR3 HSE has been quite reliable. You have read plenty of posts from me and others on the benefits of keeping tires at proper inflation and rotating them regularly. It makes a big difference in tire wear.

When you next visit the LR dealer, you might also give serious consideration to the new LR2. It has many of the virtues of the LR3, but is a little smaller and may be easier for your wife to drive. It looks like a great ride and would fit the "soccer mom" bill. It's much better than the vehicle it replaced.
    I am here in San Diego County and as many know the firestorm 2007 has taken its toll. I had to evacuate on monday from my home. Had to get the pets to safety and then get myself to a wildlife facility in the backcountry to manage a fire defense effort.

While we are still in the middle of this disaster i have to say this LR3 is the most reliable and versatile vehicle i have owned. I added the dog guard gate months ago. With this feature i was able to get my dogs and cats to safety at a friends home while also packing in large animal kennels and clothes for myself for the week. I then headed up to the mountains for a fire defense effort. Off roading was required and handled with no issue. the dog guard gate comes out easily and I slept in the vehicle (i am 6 foot 4) three nites and had a great nite sleep creating a "bedroom" for by dropping down all the seats. the GPS came in handy to measure the distance in miles from the fire to our facility -to figure wind direction and to find the hot spots referenced by CAL Fire. The bluetooth allowed for hands free evacuation and road updates via phone while driving off road in rugged mountain terrain to get a first hand look at approaching fires. If necessary i could transport two animal crates. Finally i was able to transport 6 emergency animal rescue staff people to many places in the area with one vehicle.

At first i was concerned about taking such an expensive vehicle into a dangerous situation. Now i wont leave home without it. This is a true SUV and is worth its lofty price
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for the report and we're all glad to hear you're okay!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    BR,

You are a well regarded person on this thread, and if I remember others...I trust this vehicle will be only used for parts, if that, in the future.

Glad to hear all the occupants are doing well. My prayers will go out to the occupants of the other car.

I can only imagine what would happen if an LR3 would ever front end a MicroCar. Maybe I should send that one into Top Gear?

Cheers,

MC
  • jblr3jblr3 Member Posts: 5
    I have had tire wear problem that so many LR3 owners have experienced. In my case it is tire cupping as opposed to uneven wear on the inside of the tires. Anyone have recommendations on replacement tires for LR3 HSE with 19" that may resist this uneven wear. Will this happen again no matter what type of tires are placed on the vehicle?