Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• pfolkpfolk Posts: 70
    If you like leasing, you may want to look at the incentives LR is offering on '08 models. Having the factory warranty coverage is a good deal even though it sounds like you haven't had much use for it. I just got a promotional piece in the mail the other day offering something like US$2k to $3K off on new RR's and something slightly less on new LR3's. And I haven't even owned mine for a year!

After leasing for years, I purchased my current LR3 to get the beneficial tax write-off for business use of a 6000 lb truck. I keep reading that Congress is on the verge of doing away with that program, so that's another reason to act soon.

Also, I don't put enough miles on my vehicle to justify leasing, and always ended up giving away money on the leases. I intend to keep my '07 model until I'm really tempted to do otherwise (or until LR or Tata--assuming they end up with LR -- brings a diesel to the US). The factory sponsored service contract that is available after the warranty runs out (provided you purchase at least 1,000 miles before expiration of the warranty) also looks like a good deal.

If you are thinking of purchasing your current vehicle off lease, you might inquire as to whether LR will take a discount off the lease end price. Assuming market value is less than your residual, you might have some leverage to get a reduction rather than let LR take the vehicle back. I did that with my Jeep a few years back and saved about $1K off the residual on that lease.
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    If I do buy it, I wonder if land rover gives you the cerfied warranty? If I turn it in for a 2008, then they have to spend money on the 2006, (I think they put new tires on it and they have to certify it for resale). There has to be some incentive to them to sell the 06 to me versus putting it back on the lot.
  • I am in the process of purchasing a new LR3 HSE and wanted to know if there is any difference in the model years 2007-2008.I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 brand new at seriously substantial savings and wanted to know if I am missing something buy not buying the 2008 with all the same bells and whistles?
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    If I do buy it, I wonder if land rover gives you the certfied warranty?

Only dealer owned vehicles can be certified, but you, as the original owner, can purchase a Land Rover Assured Extended warranty. Also, the leasing co(usually Land Rover Capital group) sets the purchase price of your off lease vehicle, not the dealer. Usually, the purchase price is the residual.
    Right, I know the residual price is the sale price but thats got to be negotiable. If they wont certify it at a minimum, i would have no incentive to keep the vehicle. Do have to go to the same dealer?

Thanks for any knowledge anyone has on this.
    LR would much rather sell a new car than a lease return (as would any car mfg.). No car mfg will certify a lease buy out. You can return the car to any LR dealer. Also, right now there is a 6 month early return if you buy an 08, and lease cash on LR3s.
  • Was talking to the local dealer, negotiating a lease on a LR3. We were talking about GPS and he said he's had a few customers go buy a portable GPS unit (voice commands, touch screen, etc) and have it mounted in the dash. Apparently there is a small hole/cavity in the dash where these would fit nicely?

Anyone done anything like this? Or have any pics of a similar setup?

Thanks!
    If you're not certain how much you would use it, a portable GPS unit would certainly cost much less than the factory unit, although ask yourself how much savings that would bring on a leased vehicle.

I don't have experience with the portable ones although Tom Tom and Garmin appear to be leaders in this area (check CNet or its sister site, Crave, for reviews).

The factory unit works quite well and is integrated into the voice control and response features on the vehicle. I have been using it regularly for new addresses in parts of the city I have not been to before. It also came in quite handy for a cross-country jaunt to Patagonia, AZ after I got lost the old-fashioned way - by driving and talking with my passenger and not paying attention to road signs.
  • kyle11kyle11 Posts: 11
    I love land rovers.
  • rrhserrhse Posts: 4
    Would anyone have any idea what the current lease cash is on an '08 LR3 HSE?

Thanks, John
    $1000 - but new programs come out next week and 2008 LR3 Lease cash may or may not be available.
  • tzotzo Posts: 95
    I recently got the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow's for my LR3 HSE. Very impressed with their quiet road handling, and amazing grip on the snow. I drove the LR3 this week during a few snowstorms up in the Sierra Nevada area, and was very impressed with these tires. As bad as the Goodyear OEM tires are, these tires excel in the snow and ice. The Pirelli treads didn't appear much different than the Goodyears so my expectations were low (even though Tirerack users ratred them highly in snow), but wow have I been pleased with the snow traction. You have to work hard to get these tires to lose any grip at all in ice or fresh snow.
    If these would be considered a snow tire, do you think the all terrain version would provide comparable ride quality? I have considered the Scorpions as a replacement tire when the OEM's need to go.
    I didn't know Pirelli had an all-terrain version of this size tire. Check Tirerack users ratings as a hint to their performance. I was so po'd at the Goodyear OEM tire performance last year in snow, I was ready to do anything including buying some 18" wheels since there were more tire choices in 18". But these Ice and Snow's totally scrap those plans... they seem to be the perfect snow tire with excellent highway noise and handling.

How long they last is another question, but if I only get 15-20k out of them, I'll still be happy. BTW, the Goodyears actually caused my steering wheel to shake at 55mph... the Pirelli's... smooth as butter.
  • riottriott Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2005 LR3 without the GPS system, although I had hoped to find one with that option. I bought a portable Tom Tom unit and I am glad that I did. It fits very nicely in the cavity in the dash of my LR3 but I can also use it in any of the other family cars - I'm not limited. It is a smarter - and cheaper - investment. BTW, the TomTom is awesome. I have used it in the US, Canada, and Scotland and it is always right on the money.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    riott, when you have an after market "anything" that is loose, you are much more at risk for it to be stolen. I'm not sure if you have yours attached in some way but I would have to lock it up when I left my vehicle.

So, there are pluses and minuses for having after market equipment. Just be careful leaving it in the LR3.

I happen to have the built-in navigation and I think all my future cars will have it whether it be built-in or portable.

Happy motoring! Mark :)
    some pictures of the LR3 HSE in the recent North California snowstorms ... see top and bottom of page. Again, I highly recommend the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow as your next tire of choice... great for highway and snow, as you can see.
    PikiWiki page re Sierra snowstorm
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    tzo... great pics! :D
    thanks... the Pirelli tires make the LR3 everything it can be... had lot of fun chewing through a foot of fresh snow on the ground.
  • koeslerkoesler Posts: 57
    I'm also at 30,000 miles with no troubles so far. The 05 LR3 HSE has been absolutely a joy to own. I'm still on my OE tires and they look like they're good for another 10 K. I did have have them dismounted from the wheels and turned around because the inside edges were wearing more than the outsides. My mileage, with 89 octane and Oklahoma "winter" gas is down to 17 avg. (used to get 19).

I'm glad to hear that the 19" Pirelli tires work - I'm thinking about those also, when the time comes this summer - wonder how they'll be on just dry pavement?

Good luck to all of you with your Rovers.
  • I have 23 859 miles on the vehicle, the brake pads warning is on in the message center. Has anyone ever had brake pads go this early? I do go off road from time to time, I pull a utility trailer several times with no more that 2000 lbs in it...
  • Hi macc24,

Thanks for the link on the GPS DVD. I assume it's the same DVD since 2005... Anyone know when an updated one will be available?
  • Hi, I just bought a 2005 LR3 SE with 24k and as I started the vehicle the low gear indicator is flashing and I can't select highway mode. I had to select command shift in order to drive it home and now to the dealer. They have reset and updated the software, but that still hasn't fixed the problem, and they are still working on it today (2)days total so far. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and what should I do about an extended warranty? I have always heard, once an electrical problem (if this is the case) goes bad, then it's almost never resolved. Any ideas or help? :confuse:
  • I never had that problem gear light. As far as the extended warranty, I would see getting it as a must. The manufacturer warranty will end in December 08, I plan on keeping for vehicle for a while, I will extend it for sure. So far, I've had $7K warranty job done on the LR3. Still love the vehicle, but expensive to maintain.

My two cents.
  • gillzgillz Posts: 15
    Just back from a Wheels event in Southern California and have to comment on how impressed I was about the LR3 rock climbing / water fording ability. Even have a classic photo of a Land Rover pulling a high centered Jeep off of a rock.

Check out the link :

link title

Pirelli sponsored part of the event and advise a new 19" tire due out in May '08, designed specifically for offroading with the weight of an LR3 in mind.

The LR3's seemed to have an easier time with the rock climb than the LR Sport, but the real star was a Defender - ate the course up. Was a great day sponsored by LR Newport Beach and Pirelli. Guides/spotters very professional and their expertise was much appreciated.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,772
    The LR3 is truly a remarkable vehicle. Those are some really cool pictures. There always seems to be a great deals on service loaners too.

british_rover: any possibility on a diesel powered LR3 in the near future?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

I just went on a LR Mission Viejo wheels event in Anza Borrego. Great event and i think we went down the same water way as you. Where was your event? I have an LR3 and it was flawless on the whole trip.
  • gillzgillz Posts: 15
    Also Borrego. We just did the Saturday trip and had to stay in Julian as other hotels were booked. I bought my LR3 from Mission Viejo, but was invited to this event by LR Npt Bch; perhaps they combined ?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    I have gotten mixed signals from Land Rover regarding a diesel LR3. I know they are working on getting the TDV8 to meet the tough US emissions and in one of the Land Rover magazines the recently retired director of marketing for Land Rover mentioned what problems they were having and that the plan when he left was to have diesels in the US before the end of the decade. Still no idea on which vehicle would get the diesel.

Back a few months ago one of our service reps thought the LR2 would be most likely because the diesel engine costs could be shared with almost every volvo model in the US. Now that seems less likely with the impending sale.

Also I know that the TDV8 will have an easier time reaching the 50 state emission standards then the TDV6 that the LR3 comes with. Land Rover said in a press release for the african and australian markets that there was no plan to put the TDV8 in the LR3.

But just last month popular mechanics had an article saying that Land Rover was bring a diesel LR3 to the us in 2011. The article didn't say if that was 2011 CY or MY.