Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• outdoorsman1outdoorsman1 Member Posts: 13
    I have 23 859 miles on the vehicle, the brake pads warning is on in the message center. Has anyone ever had brake pads go this early? I do go off road from time to time, I pull a utility trailer several times with no more that 2000 lbs in it...
    Hi macc24,

Thanks for the link on the GPS DVD. I assume it's the same DVD since 2005... Anyone know when an updated one will be available?
  • jbird88jbird88 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a 2005 LR3 SE with 24k and as I started the vehicle the low gear indicator is flashing and I can't select highway mode. I had to select command shift in order to drive it home and now to the dealer. They have reset and updated the software, but that still hasn't fixed the problem, and they are still working on it today (2)days total so far. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and what should I do about an extended warranty? I have always heard, once an electrical problem (if this is the case) goes bad, then it's almost never resolved. Any ideas or help? :confuse:
    I never had that problem gear light. As far as the extended warranty, I would see getting it as a must. The manufacturer warranty will end in December 08, I plan on keeping for vehicle for a while, I will extend it for sure. So far, I've had $7K warranty job done on the LR3. Still love the vehicle, but expensive to maintain.

My two cents.
  • gillzgillz Member Posts: 15
    Just back from a Wheels event in Southern California and have to comment on how impressed I was about the LR3 rock climbing / water fording ability. Even have a classic photo of a Land Rover pulling a high centered Jeep off of a rock.

Check out the link :

link title

Pirelli sponsored part of the event and advise a new 19" tire due out in May '08, designed specifically for offroading with the weight of an LR3 in mind.

The LR3's seemed to have an easier time with the rock climb than the LR Sport, but the real star was a Defender - ate the course up. Was a great day sponsored by LR Newport Beach and Pirelli. Guides/spotters very professional and their expertise was much appreciated.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    The LR3 is truly a remarkable vehicle. Those are some really cool pictures. There always seems to be a great deals on service loaners too.

british_rover: any possibility on a diesel powered LR3 in the near future?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    I just went on a LR Mission Viejo wheels event in Anza Borrego. Great event and i think we went down the same water way as you. Where was your event? I have an LR3 and it was flawless on the whole trip.
  • gillzgillz Member Posts: 15
    Also Borrego. We just did the Saturday trip and had to stay in Julian as other hotels were booked. I bought my LR3 from Mission Viejo, but was invited to this event by LR Npt Bch; perhaps they combined ?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I have gotten mixed signals from Land Rover regarding a diesel LR3. I know they are working on getting the TDV8 to meet the tough US emissions and in one of the Land Rover magazines the recently retired director of marketing for Land Rover mentioned what problems they were having and that the plan when he left was to have diesels in the US before the end of the decade. Still no idea on which vehicle would get the diesel.

Back a few months ago one of our service reps thought the LR2 would be most likely because the diesel engine costs could be shared with almost every volvo model in the US. Now that seems less likely with the impending sale.

Also I know that the TDV8 will have an easier time reaching the 50 state emission standards then the TDV6 that the LR3 comes with. Land Rover said in a press release for the african and australian markets that there was no plan to put the TDV8 in the LR3.

But just last month popular mechanics had an article saying that Land Rover was bring a diesel LR3 to the us in 2011. The article didn't say if that was 2011 CY or MY.
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    Would be a shame to lose sales to Jeep. Looks like the new Chrysler corp. has maintained agreements with MB to use their Bluetec diesel. It's a nice engine and will help Jeep compete for sales to consumers who care about mpg.

The sooner the better for LR to get a diesel qualified for the North American market. I'm wondering whether there will be reason for Tata to continue joint development with Volvo on engines. There could be some good synergies there as Tata certainly has other markets that will take diesel engines and it could provide some outsourcing capabilities for Volvo. Also, I don't think they would be directly competing, but what do I know? I'm just a consumer.
  • dmelnik1dmelnik1 Member Posts: 11
    I would not assume that. I own LR3 2005 and i updated my DVD already once, back in the middle of 2006. I think the version land rover advertise on its web site is newer then mine.
    Good point, did you find an easy way to update the GPS, or do you suggest the version on the LR site?
    At the time i updated mine, that specific site did not exists and dealers were charging over $300 for the DVD, so i found latest on E-Bay for $100. You can call LR- North American and fins out the part number of the latest DVD release. I think LR site has it for $200 which is more reasonable, but it depends on how current you want to be. I think those maps updated at list every year to keep up with new addresses, so paying $200 a year is kind of pricy, at list for me.
  • lroverlrover Member Posts: 2
    Any Opinion on getting the extended warranty from Land Rover or Warranty4Wheels or one of the other third parties.

Quotes for 4 or 5 year extension are about 4K.
    I would get the extended warranty from LR. I just bought my 06 LR3 out of the lease and got it. from my reading of the policy besides the 200 deductible you are in good shape. it gives me the most comfort and having owned land rovers , paying (i think i paid 3.5K) 4K for 100,000 miles is a steal
  • jmgmdjmgmd Member Posts: 4
    Getting a certified preowned LR3 in July. Assuming both cars have a clean history, is one model year better than the other reliability-wise?
    Get the 2006. First year teething problems were worked out by then. Or if you have the option to get an '07 model year from someone bailing out early on a lease get that one.
    I bought a 2006 in May of 2006 and its been great. i wouldnt get a 2005; agree that perhaps a 2007 if there is the best bet. get the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it and then drive all over the continent with it - well for me at least the western US
  • gsapnargsapnar Member Posts: 5
    I have just over 30,000 miles on my 2006 LR3 and recently had the engine fail on me while driving in a snow storm with 4 kids in the car. A white knuckle experience. Land Rover is not taking any responsibility for the problem and have come up with some rediculous story about the engine failure. Has anyone had this happen??
    I guess i am missing something. Isn't the car under warranty? What does it mean "LR is not taking any responsibility"
  • jmgmdjmgmd Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about the Lexus rx 400 H now based on these reliability issues with the LR3. If the extended warranty with LR is not great, then I have to go with the lexus. any comments?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Yeah I am confused as well the car is under warranty so as long as you have done the services on the vehicle, which you should be doing since they are pre-paid services, then the engine should be getting repaired.

What exactly happened to the engine? We haven't had any problems with LR3 engines, some transmission and suspension problems with 2005 and early 2006 LR3s yes but no engine problems, and the 2007 and 2008 LR3s have been problem free so far.
    I don't think i will be able to give any voluble advice mainly because I would never compare Lexus RX 400 H to LR 3. First does not have any off road capabilities, second does, first is a Hybrid, second eats tone of gas, in comparison. First can pull 3,500 lbs , second 7500 lbs. This is my third Land rover starting with 2000 model, and I did not have any big issues, not to say that over all LR quality is great. I had some minor issues and service was always excellent. I am not sure what your reasons to compare these tow cars, price? Regarding extended warranty, usually it is rip off, I never get extended warranty, it is not worth the money.
    I would get an extended warrnty on any car IF its offered by the manufacturer. i had a disco II that had problems with its transfer case. the cost of that was the cost of the extended warranty. wouldve been better to be under one than not. the Lexus is nice but its apples and oranges or apples and nuts comparison. two diff vehicles
    Dito everyones comment. - what happened? did the car just not start again? and the warranty question? let us know more, thanks
    i have 36500 on my 06. just finished a 2500 mile road trip from sandiego to montana and back. snow, ice, rain, cold and then heat. all went well no major problems.
    They're not taking responsibilility for the damage done to the car. We hit a snowbank and guard rail because I had lost the fuel injection, brakes and steering.
    The car started up again and drove ok. When I took it in to get checked they said it needed updated software for the transmission. That was it. No we're sorry. We'll take care of the damage.

As far as your trip.. I had never had this problem before and I think it 's rare that it happens. But the guy at Service has seen it before. He wasn't surprised by it. In fact he asked me what warning came up after that?

I'm trying to find other owners who've have it happen to see if it's worth persuing. I really just don't want anyone to get hurt. We're very lucky no one was hurt.
    Im guessing that they are all trained not to take responsiblity beyond whats covered by the warranty. i would guess again that you have to sue them to show proximate cause. You may be sucessful because the car failed due to something covered by the warranty so there wouldnt be a dispute as to the failure of the vehicle.

a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to do but its the only way i think you will get compensated for the loss. there may be an appeal process you can follow. i would suggest placing a formal written demand for payment of damages as a caused by the engine failure. the appeal procedures in your manual books may behelpful but this may be outside of that as well
    You might also want to contact Land Rover North America, and start the ticket with them. Of course if you are in North America.
  • derrickh22derrickh22 Member Posts: 4
    I recently acquired a 2007 LR3. It is almost perfectly designed, except for a couple of little things. One is the sun roofs: the shade is simply not dark enough to block off the Florida sun. The car already gets extremely hot now; I can't imagine how bad it can be in the summer! I checked with car tinting shops, and they told me not to dark tint the sun roof glass because of glass breaking danger (which is true based on experts). Does anyboy know of any way I can block off the sun from directly shining into the cabin through the sunroofs? I would really appreciate any suggestions you mght have!
    The old discovery had the same type of shades. I did see someone install a new shade that was opaque on a 200 Discovery. I believe the work was done at California Rover in Encinitas. You can at least ask them where they got the parts to do so (and i believe they came from the east coast) and if something for LR3 is available aftermarket

However I would imagine the car at 135 degrees doesnt feel much cooler than 165 degrees
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I agree with you about the perforated sun screens. I wish that Land Rover would have made them solid. As a quick fix, just on those days when the sun is shining directly over the LR, I thought about just slipping a piece of computer paper between the shade and the glass just to keep the rays out.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • beargator56beargator56 Member Posts: 35
    Anyone interested in a tow hitch for the LR3? I just turned my lease in, and would like to sell it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We aren't set up for buying and selling in the forum. Please make your email public in your profile or set up your CarSpace email so people can contact you off the boards.

Click on someone's name to get to their profile. CarSpace mail is always your username@carspace.com.

Thanks.
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    I believe there is also a spray on tint you could use. But that still leaves you with the breaking problem. You could also find a custom shop that will take off the perforated ones and put in solid shades. But it's $$. Another option is to get some thin cloth that matches your interior (Not Black or it will build up heat), and 3M spray on adhesive (The kind used to re-attach headliners like I had to do on my old 96 Disco) and cut the cloth and spray the glue on the cloth and attach it to the blind while it is shut. I did this on my Disco when I lived in Jacksonville, FL and it worked fine. Even retracted OK since it wasn't that much thicker. And it is easy to peel off later if you want to trade, Just make sure you spray the cloth, not the blindm and wait for he glue to be tacky before you put it up. Now I live in Seattle, and have since traded the old girl for an 05 LR3 so it's no longer a problem. Hope this helps.
    Does anyone know if I can gt the bluetooth added to my 2005 LR3? I have the navigation Package and was wondering if anyone has had it done afterwards
    When i purchased mine 2005 LR3 with Nav Package i looked into it and found on various LR forums that people did that, so it is possible. Some posts mentioned figure around $700, it could be cheaper now, but number of posts mentioned all kind of issues after installation, so be careful in choosing an installer. In the end I decided against it, could not find anybody i would be secure with. Pretty much the only functionality I am missing from my LR3.
    Yeah, I looked into having a Motorola unit installed. It's about $400 installed at Best Buy. But I was more into whether or not I can take it to LR to have them install it there. I didn't know if maybe I just had to get the module installed and a new steering wheel or what. I might get the aftermarket just because my wife drives it most of the time and refuses to use the bluetooth headsets. She already got a $400 ticket and still insists on talking on the phone in the car.
    I was talking about LR native integration, not third party. But if you are thinking of going third party why don't you just get Bluetooth speaker/microphone device. I think Motorola has something like that. It will be cheaper and no installation required, of course you might have to run power cable to the cigarette lighter so it does not look as nice
  • caterocatero Member Posts: 1
    I am interested. Do you still have it? E-mail me at flaca2089-work@yahoo.com
  • aleutianislandaleutianisland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 LR3-the CD Player isnt playing. Error Code: "CD2"-"CD ERROR"-"Press Eject"-"Checking" then clicks a few times and restarts same code senquence? Any help how to get that fixed without taking it in to nearest service center 2 hours away? email me at:hwhittern@gmail.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    email me at ***

Let's keep the discussion here. To do otherwise deprives our members of valuable information and tends to defeat the purpose of forums. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • narbpd510narbpd510 Member Posts: 1
    I am, is it still for sale and how much?
  • postermikepostermike Member Posts: 28
    I'd like to hear from any 2008 or 2009 owners out there about any issues you've had with your LR3. I'm getting ready to finalize negotiations with Chrysler on my '08 Commander to buy me out through lemon law.

I've settled on the BMW X5 and LR3. (Please, no replies about how different the vehicles are. My only concerns are luxury and how much I like the vehicle as I live in the city don't off-road or tow.) I had an '06 X5 that I loved and never had an issue with but, since the LR3 now has an electric steering wheel adjustment, I'm torn between which one I like better. I get a good deal from BMW because of my relationship with them but one of my best friends runs the LR store just a mile from my office and I know I can get a good deal from him too and if I do have problems, it would be closer than the BMW store, which is about 5 miles away.

I know everything about both vehicles as far as equipment, drive, capabilities, etc, however I haven't heard much about problems with the '08. I'm a 24 month leaser so I'm not really so worried about problems with 2 or 3 year old vehicles, just wondering if anyone out there has had initial problems, like I've had with my Commander since day one.

Thanks, :)
    How about a reply from a very happy 2007 owner?

I am a prior owner of BMW (although I have only ever demo'd an X5), Jeep and Land Rover products. My 2007 LR3 stands head and shoulders above both Jeep and older LR and RR models. I'm in my 23rd month of trouble-free ownership and couldn't be happier. I won't knock BMW although I don't think making the X5 bigger made it better. Obviously that brand has great build quality and performance. You can't do a heads-up comparison of the X5 against the LR3 because the X5 won't do as much off road, but you will find both to be comparable for the type of driving you say you do.

I don't think you will regret choosing the green oval this time around.
  • postermikepostermike Member Posts: 28
    Thanks. I'm not trying to do any kind of comparison between the two vehicles (trust me, I have and know what features I want) othere than reliability. I have my first hand knowledge of the BMW reliability but want to hear of any problems that 2008 (or 2007) owners have had with LR3s.
  • cjordan85cjordan85 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to sell my 2000 Nissan XTerra which I love but it's time for a change. I would love to have a 2007 LR3. I've heard that everything is great unless you slip up and miss a tune up then the car just starts to fall apart on you. I would never miss a tune up if I could help it but I've also heard that they can be extremely expensive. My XTerra has been some what of a money pit to me and I don't want to get into the same spot again. I just need some advice before I sell my car.
    the scheduled services are covered till 50K miles; after that you pay
    its more expensive but worth it. I have a 2006 LR3 and we are at 46K. been the best car i have ever had. no problems to date (knock on whatever).
    I own LR3 2005 with 63000 miles and before that owned Discovery 2000 and 2003.I never miss the service and had 2 since warranty expired on my current vehicle. First at 52500 and another one at 60k 52K service is just oil change and probably does not have to be done at a dealer, but I made sure to take car to a dealer for 60k service, because it includes transmission service as well. If you have more then one LR dealer around I would call to all of them for the price. In my experience service prices are very different from place to place
    I have been pretty lucky with quality of my vehicles and did not have to do any kind of major repair. Saying that, I would also add that with first somewhat major problem, I would dump the car and replace it with newer model. It is expensive to fix, at list in Chicago area and with complexity of the car I will be afraid to take it to mechanic next door Simple maintenance like brake pads you can probably do any ware