Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• outdoorsman1outdoorsman1 Member Posts: 13
    I bought my '05 LR3 (almost new) in the US and brought to Canada. The thing has been in the garage more than I could ever imagined, suspension front and rear, GPS, brakes, speaker and the list goes on. As incredible as it may sound, I still like the vehicle for may reasons. In spite of the many problems, and the many questions I had, I know the dealer sometime tried to provide me answers, but most time, I found them a bit indifferent.

Well hear this... this morning I went to my dealer in OTTAWA Ontarion Canada for an oil changes, (34895 miles) as I still do it every 5000 kms... I also had the supspension checked. I have to go back next week, another part to change... Also, I was fully planning on purchasing the extended warranty I had enquired about earlier in the spring. Note that I had also confirm the availability of an extended warranty way back with that same dealer before I purchased the vehicle.

I remember clearly the person I spoke then was more than willing to sell me the warranty, we had agreed on the cost and all, but I decided to wait until the fall. Today I am told by someone else at the Ottawa dealer that LR cannot and never offered extended warranty for US vehicle. Affter a lengthy converstation, the person I spoke to finally admitted that because of an influx on US vehicle coming into Canada, LR no longer provide extendy warranty.

I later called an LR dealer in Montreal, and one in the US, both are ready to sell me an extendy warranty covering the same as the manufacture, and repairs will be honored at any dealer in Canada/US. Has anyone experience this with their Canadian dealer? Any thoughts or advice on extended warranty? :mad: :confuse:
  • scdaze03scdaze03 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, can anyone tell me if I can get my 2005 lr3 land rover oil's changed at any local oil changed place? Thanks

My e-mail is scdaze03@aol.com
  • dmelnik1dmelnik1 Member Posts: 11
    I would be afraid to use “any” place, not because oil change itself is complicated but because of possible repercussions after something done wrong. It might be costly. If person does not know what he/she is doing even simple job might be screwed up. But if you know somebody as a responsible quality mechanic I would not worry about getting oil change not at the dealer
  • morocco2morocco2 Member Posts: 43
    I also live in Ottawa and I drive a 2007 LR3 HSE. I am coming up on two years on my lease and I only had a few minor issues with my vehicle. Every time I went to service or sales, I always got great service from everybody. Did you try directly with LR Canada's Head Office. I would go with a warranty purchased in Canada vice US to avoid possible run around. I would hope that if you buy a Warranty from one of the LR dealers in Montreal the dealer in Ottawa would have to honor it! If you go back to them and tell them that one of the Montreal LR dealers is willing to sell you an extended warranty this may sway them if not you can always buy from Montreal. ;)

Best of luck
  • roverfishroverfish Member Posts: 4
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I have expereinced some inconsistencies lately in trying to get an extended warranty as well. I live in Cali and inquired a few months back about a warranty. We established terms and a price for a LR backed extended warranty. When I went back in the last couple weeks to inquire again, they said that LR had dramatically raised prices on their extended warranties to the point that my dealer was now only entertaining warranties from a third party carrier now. They claimed no one will buy an $8,000 warranty. I am thinking now that LR got bought out recently that they are getting out of the extended warranty business perhaps. Not sure if this applies, but I thought it may help explain some things...I also have some hestitancy now even more than before in buying a third party extended warranty....
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    It sounds to me like the third party warranty company offered them a better kickback so they are pushing it. Also, is the 3rd party something local that the dealership's owner may be a part owner in the company? You might want to inquire at another dealer, possibly in another state or city. I phoned my dealer in Seattle where I have bought 3 vehicles from in the last 10 years. He told me their LR extended warranty prices are comparable to the last one I purchased, allowing for inflation of course. But they haven't gone up anything drastic. Just a few $$$ in the last 2 years.

I would be really, really careful with 3rd party warranties. They aren't worth the paper they are written on. I had one on my 2003 Expedition EB, and I got the best one available. It supposedly covered all the AC components, including the rear AC. Except for the $800 worth of parts and labor that broke on mine. It covered the electric windows, except the part of them that broke on mine. The switches yes, the switch controller module, no. So if a switch went bad, I would have to pay $100 deductible to replace a $20 switch plus labor, which came to $120. The controller is a $350 module, plus labor, and not covered. Get the picture? They make it look really good by having a long list of parts. Most of them with familiar or important sounding names, that are covered, so it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling that you are in good hands. But these are the most reliable components, that almost NEVER break.

A manufacturer's extended warranty is infinitely better, because athough yes, they are pricier, and designed to make a bit of extra $$ on the back end of the sale (The salesman gets no comission, the back office does), they also cover the important components likely to fail during the warranty period to keep the vehicle in good running condition. This keeps the customer happy because as long as you are getting good warranty service, you will probably purchase a new car from them again. And the current vehicle you will probably trade will be in better condition for the resale too. So it saves them $$ again by not having to spend so much reconditioning your car before they put it on the lot, and they can offer you a better deal on the trade.

3rd party warranty companies don't care as much about repeat business, because they figure if you don't need them, you will never know how little you are actually covered for. This will make you come back to them on your next car because they are cheaper than the Manufacturers. And if you do need them, you will realize what a rip off they are and go with the manufacturer's warranty next time anyway. Hope this helps. :confuse:
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    I purchased the extended warranty through landrover when I bought my LR3 out of the lease in March - it was for 100 K miles with a 200 dollar deductible. I think the quoted price was 4,000 at that time. I was in the dealer for a service check a month or more ago and I saw a third party advertisement for extended warranty and thought that was a bit strange. This is in S California. - When i was talking to a land rover person in the corporate dept at an event in May he made reference to the extended warranty cost of 1500 dollars. That made me think at the time that there was a ton of profit in that ext warranty for the dealer. I dont know if this info helps at all but its good to now what the status is. I will asked and report back as to what i find out about the pricing today.
  • meksmeks Member Posts: 10
    The voice recognition system in my 2006 LR3 does not work. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this?
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    Have you checked the set up to make certain it is using your language?
  • colorado4x4colorado4x4 Member Posts: 29
    I got the extended warranty with my new purchase LR3 in Jan 2005. Paid about $2k, I think. All documentation was from Land Rover direct, but beware, this is not serviced by Land Rover directly. Success in getting warranty claims paid for depends highly on where you service your vehicle. I have 102k miles on the truck. I had it serviced at (1) the dealership I purchased from, (2) a local shop that had an excellent reputation and (3) now my dealership in FL where I moved this summer.

The fun starts when the adjuster from the extended warranty company comes to the dealership or is called by the dealership to approve a claim. At first my purchasing dealer advocated strongly for me and got most claims approved. This changed 180 degrees when they changed management for the service department. I tolerated that crap until I found they busted the dust cover on my gear shifter and tried to hide it by gluing it together with something that look like caulk. (I found it when it fell apart and I took it apart myself).

After that, it is was off to the local shop, who performed great work and typically got the warranty company to approve most claims, but always seemed to find something else substantial to charge me for.

My best experience has been with my local dealer in Fort Myers FL. I rolled in with 98k miles and they got the rear wiper controller, motor, etc. all under the extended warranty and I walked with the a bill for the deductible and shop supplies. They have my business from here on out.

All in all I got my money's worth out of it, but be prepared to [non-permissible content removed] up a storm every time they say "No".
  • landroverhelllandroverhell Member Posts: 1
    We have launched www.LandRoverHell.com as a result of the consistent problems that we have experienced with our Land Rover Discovery since its purchase, almost 3 years ago. Besides all the problems with the car, what has compounded matters is the bad service and general uninterested and unhelpful attitude of Land Rover Spain, and Land Rover head office in the U.K.

The car has been unbelievably unreliable, and on 2 occasions whilst travelling abroad we experienced major problems, resulting on both occasions having to leave the car behind and return in a small hire car, thus leaving the trailer we had taken with us, stranded there too. Consequently this has involved another round-trip of having to collect the trailer, all at our own cost, which on both occasions the mileage has been 975km for each trip, so it wasn’t cheap! We also feel that it should be bought to everybody’s attention that Land Rover do not want to honour their warranty obligations, and fabricate lies to avoid paying out for genuine repairs, (please read the article "Battery & Transmission" for further details).

We just feel that potential customers of Land Rover should be aware of the fact that the Land Rover Discovery is not a reliable car, and after the sale care is non existent and is particularly bad from Head Office. The supplying dealer was a nightmare, (no longer a main Land Rover dealer) However the current servicing dealer Autonautica in Benidorm has been fantastic and always very helpful, the roadside assistance have been terrific too, (invaluable on the Land Rover Discovery) but in the long run it is Head Office that hold the key to providing the long-term solution, and thus it is with them we have the problem.

Hopefully, this forum will enlighten customers about our bad experiences, and also let other Land Rover Discover owners list there problems and grievances, so that prospective purchases of Land Rover products can see what they could be letting themselves in for, and subsequently that Land Rover realise the discontent of its customers and thus improve the reliability of the cars they manufacture and the after-car they provide for their customers, without whom, they would be out of business.

We feel that the product is fantastic in theory, but the practicalities of owning the car make the purchase of a Land Rover Discover a really bad and costly mistake, please feel free to comment on current articles, and add your own. We have an extensive Search Engine Optimisation and marketing campaigns and plan to make this website the major forum for all Land Rover models, we look forward to your help in achieving this.
    I would like to say thank you to all who have responded to my initial concern about ext warranty, I do hope the string of message was of help to create awareness to potential buyers or current owners.

I would like to update you on my problem with the purchase of the ext warrantly on the LR3. When I was advsised by my local dealer that they could not offer me the ext warranty, I was picking up the truck after being fixed for front suspension problem. It was 2 days later (on a Sunday), the truck broke down again, the suspension was stuck in access. I turned off the engine to reset, then it would go into extended mode which mean it can,t lower because of an obstacle... that was on my paved drive-way.

I was furious, I took our sports car and drove to the dealer, spoke briefly with the same gent from the ext warranty. When he saw me pulling in a 911 Carrera, and saw the frustrated look on my face, he asked if everything was ok. I told him I would drop the truck off that evening for service to look at it first thing on Monday.

Monday late morning, I received a call from the dealer, to tell me the truck was fixed, and also advised me they would gladly offer me an ext warrantly, then proceeded to emailed the choices of warranties I had. I bought it 2 weeks later after careful consideration about keeping the truck or not. I am now waiting for the first repair on ext warr to see how that goes. I leave it up to you to judge why the reversal of decision from the dealer to sell me the ext warr. Just lovely and fair isn't it?? :mad: :confuse:
  • Windsailer7Windsailer7 Member Posts: 1
    I also need help on an Extended Warranty for my 2006 LR3. At almost 50,000 with very few problems so far - my local dealer is offering a 100 mile/72 mo extended warranty. The kicker is that the Contract/Application you sign and submit DOESN'T describe or even mention the Roadside Assistance (Towing, etc) that the Extended Warranty brochure says it does! The dealer says it's covered but since it's not in writing I have some concerns. For those of you who have purchased the Land Rover (not 3rd party) Assumered Protection - do the documents you receive and the actual warranty cards specifically say that Roadside Assistance is covered? Look forward to your response. :confuse:
    The ext warranty I bought includes, "trip interruption" food - lodging up to $100/day. "Towing" up to $50/day. "Car rental" up to $40/day for six days. It is transferable and renewable. I pay $3200 Cdn and it's only for a mere 20 000 miles extra. My reasoning is, it that thing breaks again, it will likely be for more than that, and I'm not ready to trade the truck yet. Note that the dealer already put over $15 000 under the original manufacture warranty. I bought the ext warranty at the LR dealer and it is called Easy Care.

100 miles ext warranty is substantial, may I asked how much you paid? :lemon:
    Mine works but only listens to my wife... :confuse:
  • DonovanGDonovanG Member Posts: 6
    I know there's loads of 2008s on dealer floors. I'm specifically looking for this as my local dealers have stock at heavy discounts but not what I'm wanting.

NEW- not a demo or certified - can find those everywhere.
    White SE or
    NAV
    Bi-Xenons

Will consider an HSE if you're ready to sell like a discounted SE.

Don't need or care for anything else.
    reply with contact info as I'm buying as soon as I can locate one.
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    I had an exclusionary warranty for my DII which I received way more for in repairs than I paid for - I think it was $4-5000 over what I paid. The company was MBP out of New Mexico, I had bought it through a LR dealer. However, due to all the know LR reliability issues with the DII's they no longer warranty ANY LR model.

So, first of all you want an exclusionary waranty if you can get one. It will best mimic the original warranty and will list what is not covered (which are only a few things).

The second thing you want to do is work with a company that is listed with the BBB. You can go to www.bbb.org

With those things said I purchased my extended warranty through a brokerage company called warranty 4 wheels. They will give you several different options (coverages) from several different companies. Their website is http://www.warranties4wheels.com
    you can speak to Wayne, he is their CEO. I do not work for this company but you can check on them through the BBB site, I did.

BTW it is usually cheaper to get better coverage if your vehicle is in it's original warranty period. Hope this helps.
  • murphy4murphy4 Member Posts: 92
    I just found a dealer in southern california that has a good stock of LR3 they need to move including a NEW 2007. Any opinions on buying a NEW 2007 at this point, Feb 2009.
    I ask this question periodically and the answer has so far been the same. But with LR under new ownership and both Mercedes and Porsche offering diesels in their SUV's (though the Cayenne is only offered in Europe at present), is this the time for a diesel engine in a Land Rover for the North American market?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The general consensus is that Americans aren't ready for diesel cars.

Maybe Tata will be willing to ignore the consensus though?

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?
    What would take for me? An LR3 with the TD6 engine available in the UK would do nicely. Could it really be that hard to satisfy US and CARB emissions requirements when Mercedes and VW have done so and one of the Japanese mfrs (can't recall whether it's Honda or Nissan) is about to do so?

I think the "general consensus" is old news. We have had several successful introductions of clean diesels in the US in the last 2-3 years - look at the Mercedes E and M series Bluetec, assorted VW's, and Jeep Grand Cherokee (though it looks like Mercedes and Chrysler have cut that cord). They prove it can be done. With the price of gasoline on the way up again, the cost/performance advantage of diesel will become even more apparent.

By the way, several studies have been done comparing the total environmental cost of the Prius against gas-powered vehicles. Would it surprise you to learn that a Prius has a bigger environmental footprint than an LR3 when the cost of mining, processing, shipping (and later disposing of) the lithium needed for the Prius batteries is added to the account?
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    The reason that it is taking Land Rover longer has been the cost of meeting the 50 state standard. Sure, the other Euros have done it, but look at the volume of sales. LR is a small importer compared to VW and MB. In fact, that is part of the uniqueness of the brand. But have faith - the diesel is only a couple of years (if that) away.
  • psalm23and24psalm23and24 Member Posts: 2
    1. any one know of a custom subwoofer box for the 2006 Range Rover Supercharged? I will appreciate any info/lead or where to purchase.
    2. Also any success stories re aftermarket audio (adding subs, amps, speakers etc) - please kindly give some details of successes achieved and how (products and installation details and help).
    3. Lastly any issues and/or benefits to installing suede headliners?
    Kindly help a new Range Lover out. PM me if you wish. Thanks a lot for your help.
    Christopher
    cbazuaye@mindspring.com
  • movethemupmovethemup Member Posts: 1
    Have had my lr for 3yrs love the car....am trying to decide should I buy with 65k miles,out of warranty,@ $24500 ?? Extended warranty on this high miles very exp.4-6k...Any ideas ??
    l would look at a CPO 06/07. And hurry, the certified program changes April 15
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What changes are coming?
    72/75K becomes 60/62K
  • gibeachbabygibeachbaby Member Posts: 9
    I just recently purchased a new 2008 LR3 Land Rover with 4700 miles on it and while driving 60 MPH on HWY the suspension system sensor was faulty and rose up while driving. I had to pull over and turn off LR3 to lower. I contacted the dealership and they got me in the next day with a loaner LR2 and they repaired faulty sensor that day and took care of my first maintence. I was impressed with the Land Rover Houston. However this is my first LR3 and I am not too sure if this is a norm for 2008 LR3's anyone know? Any other problems I need to expect or address for warranties and about what kind of mileage I should expect repairs on my 2008 LR3 Land Rover? MSJ :confuse:
    What did the dealer tell you? While there are a lot of electronics in the LR3 to have the suspension raise on pavement with no other evidence of malfunction is odd.

FWIW I have accidentally hit the terrain response lever while driving. It's a little mystifying the first time it happens until you note the indicator next to the lever also shows suspension has bern raised to offroad position.

On mileage I'm getting 17 mpg in mixed city and freeway miles.
    The Dealer told me he see things as he works on them and this was his first.
    I thought possibly I may have touch the controls by accident, and tried to continue driving the LR3 after the incident and it happened more than three times without warning without touching the controls.

I contacted the dealer again and he answered and told me the sensor maybe out or something else and to bring it in as when it is raised I should only go 30MPH.

The sensor has been replaced and all is well. However my concern on maintaining this LR3 in the future makes me wonder how long I should keep it and purchase a warranty due to the fact I place at least 1500 miles a month on a SUV. MSJ
  • britman4britman4 Member Posts: 27
    Seriously....you have wasted so much of your life with this.

My 06 is wonderful, seriously the best car I ever had and I would not replace it with anything.

You got a lemon. The O5 was the first year it came out and LR admit some teething problems. It happens but you know people mirror people in life. Grumpy rude people get treated in a grumpy rude way.

Let it go. You will feel much better.
    I am not the Landroverhell person going on and on...as I just had one problem in which the dealer resovled.
    I love my Land Rover but after 8K miles and the Suspension Sensor going out I thought I might want to see if anyone else had anything else go on in XY...Period of time as I am a road warrior and this is my first LR3. I have owned in less than two months...thank you! :)
  • kennyyukennyyu Member Posts: 16
    Seriously ..isn't it about time? I would camp out at the dealership for that.
  • lr3fmlr3fm Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 LR3 with the Goodyear stock 18 tires . All 4 are worn severely on the inside. I wanted to find out if anyone has had a good experience with a different brand of tire other than the Goodyear . I do plan on getting this aligned with the new tires. I would like to go with a recommendation based on experience . This will be for mostly street use .
  • roblr3halifaxroblr3halifax Member Posts: 6
    There is a documented issue with the lr3 and uneven tire wear - it relates to something called "bush geometry" LR should compensate for the tires - mine wore out at 13,000 miles they paid for 50% of the new ones and I think there was warranty service done to the vehicle
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    I had the same issue at 18,000 miles or so. They paid about 33% of the replacement tires or thereabouts. They did the warranty work. Replacement tires were Michelin Tour. not sure if they are still in production but they are still on the vehicle 35K miles later and they still have good tread on them. They also were fine off road at an LR event and on snow and muddy roads over the past 2 years
  • kookmyer1kookmyer1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 LR3. I also had a bad experience with the stock Goodyear tires. There was 4,000 miles on it when I bought it and at about 11,000 miles the back tires were worn way beyond limits. I took it back to the dealer and they at first gave me a hard time about it. They eventually saw my point of view and replaced two tires for free. I drove another 4,000 miles and the other two tires were toast as well. Did some research and found that there was a recall due to the rear end not being set up properly in the factory. They made the alignment right and I ended up purchasing a set of General AT Grabbers. Cost is about 2/3 of what the Goodyears cost and they have been on the vehicle for well over 60,000 miles. The tires are awesome. Quiet and they work great in sand, mud, snow, you name it. I am about to put another set on in about another 5,000 miles. Definitely staying with these babies.
  • kookmyer1kookmyer1 Member Posts: 5
    Just replaced the two bulbs for the rear brake lights. When headlights are on, the bulbs are very bright and they do not work when the brake pedal is pressed. I replaced with same bulb type. What is the deal???
    Check www.tirerack.com for those tires in production that can be fit on the LR3. They will ask questions about intended use and recommend those that are better for majority on-road use. I seem to recall the Michelin Synchrones getting rave reviews for wear and low noise. Pirelli also has some good sand and mud tires that should provide good off-road use.
  • lr3fmlr3fm Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice on the Michelin Tour . I will search for these online.
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    On my 2005 LR3 I recently replaced the stock Goodyear 18's with Toyo PROXES ST II's that have given me an excellent ride, better on and off road traction, and, believe it or not, better gas mileage. I am actually getting about 20-25 MPG Highway in Seattle. So you may want to check these out too, Plus they look awesome.
    Thanks seems like a good deal overall...MSJ :)
  • mlandinomlandino Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find the cause of the at speed stalling? I just took delivery of an '05 from Milford LR and am having the same problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Just a thought. I had a '97 Range Rover that periodically stalled and could not be re-started. We ultimately determined that the cause was the fuel pump seizing up and blowing the fuse that protects that circuit. The dealer said there were some fine metal shavings in the gas tank left from when they drilled the hole to install the fuel pump. Whenever those shavings were drawn into the impeller, the pump seized and that's what caused the fuse to blow. It was a random problem and easily fixed as a warranty repair once we figured it out. I never had the problem again after replacing the fuel pump and cleaning the gas tank.

The build quality on your '05 should be much better than my older vehicle was, but I don't know if they revised the procedure for installing the fuel pump. You didn't say in your post what the dealer found when it worked on the vehicle. Ask if they replaced any blown fuses.

Another potential cause of stalling could be fouled fuel filter. If you bought some dirty gas or the fuel filter was never changed, that could also cause a stall. I don't know the service cycle, but those are maintenance item.
  • meksmeks Member Posts: 10
    I've got a 2006 LR3 and during heavy rain, water gets into the car and front passenger foot well is soaked and at times get drips from the courtesy lights on the roof. Any ideas on what to do?
  • dmelnik1dmelnik1 Member Posts: 11
    I had the same problem on my 2005, Luckily it was still under warranty so I took to a dealer. The way they explained it is happens when sunroof is open levees might get into water docks or something like that and next time it rains water licks into the car instead of flowing through those lines. I did have to press them on it, because service guy was trying to tell me like it is not a big deal and it took me two times before they cleaned them completely and I stop getting water. Those docks travel through the car , as I understand , so I am not sure if you can do it yourself.
    I hope it helps
  • enolaenola Member Posts: 3
    I bought my LR3 new in June 2006, and have always have problems with the Goodyears, leaks, constant wear around 11K miles. My dealer knew nothing. I got stuck in Florida with a gash and leak in both of my back tires. My dealer never told me anything about a recall even after I complained about the tires. I bought 2 Toyos for $400. installed without ordering while in FLA. They had great reviews on Tirerack, Pirelli's and Michellin's were a 4 day wait.
    Same thing happened to me last year on my 2006 LR3. Brought it in, they found nothing. A year later it happened again after a heavy rain (sunroof closed). Brought it in and they kept it over night for a fix. I asked why they didn't fix it last year, they said they hadn't seen enough of the problem so they didn't know what to do then. At least they were honest. Maybe now I'll get 2 free tires.
    Did the VW Touareg diesel ever make it to the states or was it a bomb ?
    FWIW, I'm approaching 30K miles with the OEM tires on my 2007 LR3. Mostly highway use but some light off-road use as well. Maintaining proper inflation and regular rotation is the key to prolonging their use. I get my truck serviced at the dealership, and they refill with nitrogen to lessen the amount of pressure loss due to temperature fluctuations. Even with careful maintenance, the Goodyears are prone to feathering due to the weight of the truck and normal wear. That is manageable - and not a sign of a bad tire - with proper tire rotation.

While I will probably switch to Michelins or Pirellis when the OEM tires are worn out, they still have a good bit of life in them.