Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• huskers_fanhuskers_fan Member Posts: 2
    iceman2,

I've found this link to be helpful in looking at what inventory is around.

http://www.roverunited.com/dealers/land-rover-dealers.htm

it appears that there is a lr3 black/beige in Ft. Lauderdale.

good luck
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    reichowjr, Front PDC is not an option in North America on any LR3. There is no mystery. We also don't have Power Folding Mirrors and a Locking Fuel Door. None of these options were advertised in the US, so it shouldn't be a shock.

Owner's manuals commonly mention optional features that are only available in other markets, like it or not.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    My local dealer loaned me a stock LR3 SE for the weekend with the only requirement being: "take it off-road and give us a report". I did. Amazing is all I can say. I've had two Discovery II's, several Toyota 4x4's, and a 2002 Mercedes G500 and this LR3 is much better than any of those vehicles, both on and off road. It would go every place that my G-wagen would, but the DII's or Toys had problems with - and all without locking diff's. On one particular nasty, rocky, rutted, steep hill the G-wagen with it's 3 locking diffs excelled, but the LR3 did 99% as well with open front & rear diffs.

The LR3 is an S-class on the road, and a smooth, easy-to-drive and totally uneventful off-roader with no noises - creaks, groans, moans (like a G-wagen)to be heard. The HDC is noisy but not necessary at all due to the low gearing. The whole thing is a "point-and shoot" affair. I liked the previous DII because of the quirkiness of it, and the funky ergonomics, but the LR3 is a much better all around - materials, build quality, engine, brakes, ergonomics, etc. - it's more modern but almost too modern. Now I have to wait for my Tonga green/beige HSE to get here - sometime in May or June I'm told..
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    Grommet, thanks for your reply. I just wanted to be certain the vehicle had all the features of the PDC for the US spec vehicle.

I have worked in the past for GM in public relations and have come across vehicles missing certain options. Nothing really surprises me regarding most vehicles any more after that job.
  • soxfansoxfan Member Posts: 25
    i've spent a lot of time looking at the volvo xc90, and am waiting for the v-8, but i'm intrigued by the lr3 after going to see it. crash tests on the volvo (front, side & roll) are a huge positive (and very important with 2 kids), and prior land rover crash tests and rollover propensity aren't great. with the new platform, there seems to be a big opportunity for improvement here - anyone have an idea on when we'll see tests on the lr3? thanks!
  • lr3_magiclr3_magic Member Posts: 18
    Just placed an order with the local dealer for a 2005 LR3 HSE Alveston Red/Black interior with all the options. Because I wanted a certain color and all the options, I was told that the order would be placed in January, probably built in March, and finally delivered to Houston sometime in May or June. Long time to wait, but am willing to get what I want. Bought the LR3 through the x-plan partner pricing program and would say I had a very easy and enjoyable experience buying the LR3. First Land Rover for our family.
  • ajn999ajn999 Member Posts: 16
    Hello: I've had the LR3 for a month now. The dealer just installed a factory DVD. It looks great and fits under the existing dome light. It matches the interior nicely and doesn't look aftermarket, a good thing since it was $2,000!

Gas mileage is a disappointment at 13.4. Much lower than my Range Rover. I installed a $200 dollar wood kit and it looks great and really upgrades the look of the interior. I wish the carpets were black, not beige as they soil easily

despite the rubber mats. The dealer presented my key with a revised key ring attached when they delivered my car today from service. Apparently enough people complained and they came up with a good fix. Regarding the 3rd seat: I would never

use it. There's hardly a few inches of clearance from the back headrest to the rear window. I would hate to see what would happen in a rear ender to anyone sitting there. If you need more than 5 passenger seating, I would consider another vehicle. Other than the few disappointments I have mentioned the truck is great and I am pleased with my choice.
  • tropnevadtropnevad Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know where you can find detailed information, white papers, etc. regarding the MOST fiber optic connections?

Has anyone experimented with the MOST system, in an LR3 or RR?

I would like to tap into the network and input video to the nav screen, and audio to the head unit.

I believe that the head unit is sourced from Alpine and equipped with upgradeable flash memory. Do you know if there will be an XM or Sirius upgrade? I do not want to give up my satellite radio.
  • rromanrroman Member Posts: 4
    I spoke with dealer here in NYC. They have a few

LR3 SE in stock but no LR3 HSE. To get LR3 HSE will take at least 3mths. I am just going to wait till late spring time when the new 2005 M-Class arrives along with the RX330 HYBRID which will occupy most of the SUV headlines and buyers interest. That should allow for more supply and better deals on the LR3's. I would also like to see in person all the colors not just black, green and silver as my dealer has at the moment.
  • bouldersboulders Member Posts: 18
    Exactly one month and 1300 miles later and my Blk LR3 with Alpaca interior is fast becoming my favorite car. The fuel pump issue was resolved and all systems are go. Yesterday, I drove it in sport mode for the first time and if my seat-of-the-pants feel is any good, this truck is clearly quicker than 8.0 sec from 0-60 mph. And the exhaust note is sweet music indeed.

The only negatives thus far are the gas mileage, which is a disappointing 10.9 - 11.2 mpg in NYC,( not surprising) and the amount of heat from the front interior unit. It seems that the LR takes longer to heat the interior than my Acura MDX. It also appears that there is more draft from the driver's window on very cold days than the Acura. Consequently, I have had to raise the thermostat control higher just to maintain front passenger comfort. No such problems from the rear passenger unit however. It may be that the LR's windows are larger than the MDX's. I have not checked the dimensions.

These minor niggles aside and this is easily the best truck that I have driven. I just received a $2k quote from the dealer on the DVD entertainment system. Ouch!

When it is washed, there are very few trucks that look as good especially at dusk.
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    Is anyone receiving any discounts, not including plan pricing?

Thanks
  • beachbumbeachbum Member Posts: 28
    Where did you find the wood kit for the interior? I saw one on E-bay which was simulated wood and flat shaped not rounded. It was about $200.000. I was wondering if anyone had any info on where to get OEM wood kit which the LR accerc. book sells for $613.00?

Thanks
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    I tried the simulated ebay one. I would opt for the wood next time. Also, there are too may pieces. I installed about 1/2 of the kit and that may be too much. They are cut perfectly, but I wonder if they'll withstand 110 degree heat in the summer.
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    I can assure you that the LR3 has more window space. When I got in the cargo area, I was surprised at how upright I was. I'm 5' 10".

No more bumping my head on the roof like I do in the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I'm concerned about the curvature in the roof when it comes to 3rd party dvd systems. I believe the oem screen is 9" which is nice size.
  • tropnevadtropnevad Member Posts: 18
    The headroom and vertical visibility on the Grand Cherokee vs. the LR3 is not even comparable, I am 6'3"
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    anj999,

Can you control the factory DVD from the other switches in the car (e.g. the ones on the window)?

One of the benefits of the MOST digital technology is that it's two-way and the control single can travel on the bus as well.

Thanks.
    You may want to check out the dealers in NJ. I saw about 30 LR3's sitting in one of the lots a couple of weekends ago.
    The best deal so far belongs to us3innj,

$500 dealer discount

The packages below thrown in:

$375 tow package

$625 heavy duty package

$613 wood

That's $2,113 worth of discount on an HSE.
  • bjsbenzbjsbenz Member Posts: 14
    I'm on Long Island and about to get an SE for $46,000 on a $48,645 MSRP. They started at MSRP and came down when I told them I would take it before the end of the month. They will always want to add another "unit" to their monthly totals. Also, there is a great 30 month lease deal if you don't mind giving an extra $6000 in SECURITY DEPOSIT. It saves about $90 a month on the payment.
    ypshan, that would be "No." That's what the wireless remote is for. Also, there is no "factory" DVD... the OEM version is dealer installed.

I assume the "other switches" you are talking about are the basic remote audio controls & headphone jacks for the rear passenger... which only exist on the HSE.

I would suggest everyone to ignore the "MOST bus" marketing spin. ;)
    The Atlanta dealer(s) are hardly dealing....

Interesting thing happpened yesterday. The dealer called and said "a loaded Silver/Black HSE showed up." I drove over there and the sticker reads HSE, but, the badge on the rear of the truck is SE???

Has anyone ever seen this?
    I forgot to mention it does have the following

Memory drivers seat

Logic 7 Stereo

19" Wheels

Perhaps the indivdual at Solihull had one too many pints the night before....
  • iiiiii Member Posts: 6
    Of a Silver/black SE. I did not want/need the extras of the HSE - which was lucky because the dealer i went to does not sell the HSE under the x-plan yet because they are backed up to june in backorders on HSEs. I have nav, lighting, 3rd row, pdc, & cold climate. Also got the mats, load space protector & roof bars.

I got out of a 2001 BMW X5 - The X5 is a great car like SUV but terrible in the snow & i snowboard a load.

It drives like I'd expect - I previously have owned a 1996 disco & a 1998 range rover. I am surprised at how quiet it is - it's much quieter than the x5 or a friends 2004 range rover.

The driving position feels way higher than what i remember of the disco - but it's nice & commanding. The seats are not as good as what i had in the X5, but i like some things line the arm rest.

after 50 miles i a really happy (i'd want to be) - i am doing a 600 mile trip over christmas & we're going to have some snow (we hope). I will post thoughts after that trip.

/i
  • btnbtn Member Posts: 35
    i, How much did the x plan save you? And did they give you any additional money off? bjsbenz, Where on Long Island did you get a 6% off deal? I stopped in Land Rover Glen Cove on Sat and they were really busy. Didn't seem like they were willing to deal...
    I will take delivery Monday of the loaded Silver/black HSE.
    btn, X plan pricing is fixed. They don't give you any additional money off. If they do, then you aren't using the X plan.

Obviously, if the dealer is willing to discount more than the X plan, you don't use it.
  • sport320sport320 Member Posts: 11
    So far really enjoying it.

Has anyone else noticed the outside tempature sensor must be near the engine, because it reads hot after the truck has been sitting?

I've been trying to get in the habit of putting it in access height when getting ready to park, has anyone seen a way to set that to happen automatically?
    btn, All four of the Long Island dealers are owned by the same owner so pricing should be the same at all of them.....but Smithtown was $500 cheaper than Glen Cove. Again, it's for the month and on an SE. Should be signing papers and picking up vehicle next Wednesday so I'll keep you posted on the progress.
    "btn, X plan pricing is fixed."

So how much is x-plan? Can someone give us an example of how much off msrp it is? And how does the a plan compare?
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    You can preselect access mode before you stop, but you cannot set it to be done automatically. There could be times when access mode could lower the vehicle onto an obstruction if done automatically, especially in a off-road situation. This is one function that will not be allowed to be operated without driver input.
    sport320,

Could it be that the reason there is an outside temp sensor is to sense the air temp. entering the engine for controlling the air fuel mix and ignition timing?
    X-Plan for Land Rover is A-Plan x 104% + $665.00 Destination Fee. As an example a base SE with no options lists for $44,330.00 + $665.00 destination for a total of $44,995.00. The same vehicle under X-Plan is $41,954.00 + $665.00 destination for a total of $42,619.00. Options are similarly discounted.
    There is a separate sensor for monitoring intake air temperature. The ambient temp sensor is for both the HVAC system and the temp indicator in the message center.
  • yogidocyogidoc Member Posts: 16
    just got my loaded SE blk/blk two days ago; powerful, high tech, funky, overall great suv!

however i can't get a comfortable seating position

like old disco's; seems like seats are too firm and don't go high enough for proper thigh support(only 5'11")

Traded in my 03 Aviator, which was dull and boring but MUCH MORE comfortable

wondering if any new LR3 owners are experiencing similar discomfort from either the seats or the stiff ride??????
    I'm about to do a lease deal at 4.5% under msrp and I'm using the 10 security deposits down program. However apon getting back to my office I ran the numbers and the money factor they are using is .0021 (5.05%). My understanding is if you participate in this program the money factor should be .00185. This only represents a $22 a month difference. However it not only comes to $660 during the course of the lease but it also seems dishonest to me...
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    Picked up my LR3 HSE this morning. Beatiful - all I had expected and more. I am driving it through a major winter storm near Toronto today and it is amazing - like there's no snow at all. All systems work well and the car has things I was not even aware of (like auto-rain sensing wipers). The GPS is amazing also.

This car is much better than the 2003 Benz ML500 that I just traded in. I am happy - right choice.
  • rovernut3rovernut3 Member Posts: 11
    Interesting tactics the car dealers continue to apply. How long is your lease term (48, 60 months) and did you go through Land Rover Capital or another independent leasing company? What part of the country did you arrange this deal?
    Just got off the phone with my salesperson and they claim I was mis-quoted by another dealer. They said the .00185 is for the 36 month program, and that they gave me the correct figures for the 30 month program. They also lowered the monthly payment by $12 to show good faith...Of course that was after a little more negotiating.
  • mmac1mmac1 Member Posts: 11
    I am curious to hear tales from those caught in some of this snow and ice and how the systems (like the windshield heater) and vehicle did. Also, for those of you who have had a chance to get it into some mud have done. Is it doing better than the Disco II's?

I got mine 450 miles ago and I love it more every day. Mostly cause it takes me that long to figure out all the features.
    Absolutely fantastic. I was in the snow all day on day 1 of my LR3 ownership. It was like the snow and ice do not exist: very stable, all systems kick in when they need to. No skidding like in the Mercedes. The freezing rain was easily taken care of with the front windscreen heating. Wonderfuil - which is why I bought it. I am impressed.
    btn, I too am interested in whether you got it from Land Rover Capital or somewhere else.

Also what's the residual factor they use to calculate the lease?

Thanks.
  • nomad232nomad232 Member Posts: 16
    Hey guys,

I am about 1300 miles into my LR3 SE Silver / Alpaca. So far it’s been amazing. Only a couple issues:

One is the color of the seats transfers some dirt and denim (only from crapy jeans). But I clean it to new every couple weeks using Lexol Wipes (amazing product).

Another thing seems to be particular to my car only because I haven’t heard anyone else complain about this. In order to drive straight down the highway, you have to keep the wheel about 2 degrees to the left (if not it pulls to the right). Its not that big of deal but I am going to check the alignment and then have the wheel straightened after I get all of my accessories installed since the added weight can change the characteristics even with the auto leveling suspension.

The final thing seems pretty normal and I am not going to do anything about it. When stopping the car to a halt pretty fast there is a bit a clunk in drive train but as I found out this is a minor miscalculations done by the engineers. Essentially when the car is at a stop the Jag transmission goes into neutral. When the car slows down there is a speed and timing programmed in that shifts the car into neutral from first. This apparently has been left a tad bit too long and the car holds on to first a little too long causing a slight sound and jolt in the drive train. Land Rover will adjust this upon request but I am not for certain. My dealer thinks that they will do it on a request only basis since it is so minor. The clunk sound also comes from a very slight, little amount of slack in the drive train that is inherent to all Land Rovers in the past and all full time 4x4.

In relation to the accessories I got here is a list and my impressions on a few:

-Sill Plates – cute but not going to dramatically save anything

-Body Side Moldings – a must if you park your car next to people

-Tow Package –my SE didn’t come with this so I added it, the quick release receiver is the most advanced piece of hardware ever. The wiring is very nice and is hidden until you actually use it.

-Winch –WARN 9.5xp Amazing! But haven’t gotten to see it yet but the install is pretty extensive and supposedly is amazing. I will give a full update on this once I get back in town from Christmas and pick it up from the dealer.

-A Frame Protection Bar –At first I thought it was junk plastic but never fear its tough as nails and there is reinforced steel underneath it.

-Driving Lamps –coupled with the A Frame Bar it looks really nice but try not to do what I did and get the driving lamps first then change your mind and then want the a frame bar. If you do you are going to have two pretty large holes in the bumper that where were the lamps attached. Now they are inverted and are attached to the A Bar it self. They are bright as heck and have a really nice pointing feature that uses a complex gear for turning them (they don’t move). Once I get back and see it I will tell you if the holes are hidden or not by the A Bar. If they are not I will simply put some silver hole covers.

-Full Size Spare –my SE didn’t have off road package which is really just a the full spare and the rear diff. It’s a good idea…I mean have you seen that dinky thing! I am a little worried about trying to change a flat when the car is in 2 feet of mud. Better plan ahead for that one. ;)

After this I have spent way to much and it will be time to head back off-road. Again I will give you guys a full report on the accessories. The truck is amazing and gets through amazing angels in the sloppiest of terrains. Cheers. Nomad.
    btn,

The best deal with the 10 security deposits is for 30 months. You are right about the money factor of .00185. I own a leasing company and will help you "work" the deal or get the deal for you. There should be a difference of about $75-80 on the payment with the 10 securities. I also do business with Glen Cove for my own customers so I'll be happy to help you or anyone who's looking to lease or buy.

To give them $6,000 and only save $22 a month (or now $34 because the took another $12 off) makes no sense. The residual for 30 months 15k is 70% (10k is 73%). The money factor goes from .00285 (about 6.8%) to .00185 (about 4.5%) with 10 security deposits. You should save at least $75 to even think of giving them the extra money.

Land Rover Capital is the only bank that will let you "buy down" the rate....Lexus used to do it but no more. Also, as of Jan 1st Ford Motor Credit is taking over the leasing and only "Balloons" will be offered just like Ford/Lincoln Mercury Red Carpet Option.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I'm not very knowledgeable about leasing but I do know that how people frame the statement is very important. Forget about comparing monthly payment figures. That's for chumps, AKA "payment buyers". You want to compare the whole deal: the money factory, the opportunity cost of giving them 10 months up front (you do have some money in a bond fund, don't you? Most bond funds did 10% last year), residuals, mileage allowance and overage charges (most people who lease have to buy miles at the end), etc.

But why be a renter when you can own? With the cash you apparently have, why don't you just buy the darn thing and be able to negotiate a much simpler deal with far fewer variables. The sales guys just love it when people fall for the leasing pitch. The guys in expensive suits who will always be working by the hour (e.g., MDs and JDs) think that renting is great. The guy in a rumpled shirt whose name is on the industrial building knows that buying is usually better.
  • beachbumbeachbum Member Posts: 28
    I have talked about this before. The old Discos came with 8-way power seats for the driver. The website,literature, and the dealers said the SE had 8-way for the driver. The SE has only 6-way power seats for the driver. I called LRNA and they stated it was a "mistake" and the North American SE models would not have 8-way; only in the HSE. The missing position is the rocking back and forth of the seat cushion. I need this to get comfortable (6'02) and I am not happy it is not available. They have actually taken away some amenities on this redesigned vehicle and for the price they should have the 8-way and the memory.
  • iceman2iceman2 Member Posts: 23
    Just picked up my Black/Tan SE w/7seats today, fully loaded - surprise b-day gift for my wife. Both love it - finally got her out of the minivan.

Couple of minor issues - wondered if anyone else noticed same. 1) The power seats on the driver's side worked once, now the seat is stuck in my position (taking it back to the dealer tomorrow). 2) The dash lights, when turned all the way up, still appear dimmer than most vehicles I've owned - anyway to get these brighter?

Aside from a general concern about how the reliability will turn out - totally in love with this vehicle.

I'm interested in other new owners' comments - any minor glitches experienced? or to watch out for?
    "To give them $6,000 and only save $22 a month (or now $34 because the took another $12 off)"

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Basically my point was that they didn't go down far enough. The $22 difference was between where they went to and how much further I thought they needed to go. Not how far they went altogether. But overall, now, I am saving about the $75 a month you are talking about.

First I negotiated a discount off the msrp, either to buy or lease. Then we worked out the lease. As for tying up the money, one of the salespeople in Glen Cove, which is not where this transaction was done, claimed that this program returned 14% a year based on how much it lowered your payment. Of course I didn't believe him because on the face of it that doesn't really make sense. Tomorrow morning a friend of mine who's an anaylist will get to user her Ivy MBA while figuring the exact rate of return of this program. It's not straight forward to me, maybe it will be to her, because the security deposits will go to making the last 33% of my payments. And yes my deal is for 15k with a residual of 70%.

"Also, as of Jan 1st Ford Motor Credit is taking over the leasing and only "Balloons" will be offered just like Ford/Lincoln Mercury Red Carpet Option."

Then I'm really glad I'm doing this now. The RCO means you need to pay all tax upfront , versus a lease where you just pay a portion...

"Most bond funds did 10% last year"

The average bond fund did well under 10% for 2004 and will be almost certainly be lower for 2005.
    One thing LR could do better is tell us what options are installed on what car. I have had my HSE for a day now and am still trying to find out which of the gazillion options are actually installed. I have figured out it has the rain sensing wipers and the headlight wash system. But does it have electrically folding mirrors? They adjust but do not fold, so that system is missing or broken, and I have no way of knowing which it is. Same with many other systems - there are actually a lot of these systems that are mentioned in the manual with an asterisk(*), meaning "may or may not be installed"...

The Nav system is great but is also illogical - I programmed it to drive to Dallas and then wanted to go back to non-programmed mode: took me half an hour to turn off the programming. Optional settings: same, I can never find the GPS settings menu. And so on - user interface could be better. But once you have it set, it is superb.

A few little rattles so far but nothing major and it really is a fantastic car. More later.

MW
    Look back in the thread, please. No optional power folding mirrors in North America.

Your original vehicle window sticker should list all your options/packages. And, of course, the brochure and US web site will have more detailed information.
    >> Your original vehicle window sticker should list all your options/packages. And, of course, the brochure and US web site will have more detailed information. <<< No folding mirrors? Damn. But it is also not offered as an option. Eh, what window sticker? I was not given one and did not see one! That is exactly the kind of info I'd like to see. I was not allowed to see the car until it was cleaned, inspected etc. The brochure and US web site (I am in Canada btw) do not have that level of granularity, nope.