Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Actually the only replaceable components in the fuel tank are the Fuel Pump and the front and rear fuel level sensors. The carrier is not removable nor are any other parts. The only access hole is approximately 5" wide or just wide enough to remove the pump. I have actually seen a cutaway of this tank assy. and the carrier is quite a large impressive part.
  • outrageousoutrageous Member Posts: 55
    Do you know what VIN range this fuel tank mix-up involved?
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    Transmission slip when accelerating briskly after stopping (eg at a stop sign)

Yes - and then it catches suddenly with a big thud. Bit annoying but yes, this has been reportted repeatedly, and indeed I experience it a few times a week.

You can 'baby' it so it does not happen, of course. But indeed a bit annoying. Perhaps this was not noticed because the UK has no stop signs, just roundabouts.
  • gw123gw123 Member Posts: 64
    My wife has experienced this while driving the LR3. I actually have the same problem on my Lexus LS430. When I complained to the Lexus dealer, they stated that the car/computer is "searching" for the right gear and there could be a momentary lapse. It seems to be a problem with both 6 speed vehicles we own. I'd like to see a fix for it in either/both vehicles, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    Regarding notepad:

1) engage voice button

2) Say "Notepad Record"

3) engage voice button

To listen

1) engage voice button

2) Say "Notepad Play"

The voice option menu is great. There are so many commands that they should include a cheat sheet to attach to the dashboard.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    RE: factory PTI/Bluetooth availability

It's still scheduled for "Spring availability", so the odds are it should appear in the ordering system in various markets fairly soon. Ask your dealer if they can configure an LR3 with one in the next cycle.
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    Grommet - dealer stated that factory PTI won't be available until the 2006 model year. Not sure if this was just a sales tactic to have me place the order now, knowing I wouldn't wait until next fall. Have a follow-up email into LRNA and awaiting response. Will post once an update is received.
  • doctrixdoctrix Member Posts: 30
    beachbum,

I too just noticed that light... it is not really bright enough for direct use... I wonder if it is used somehow by the rear view mirror in adjusting for bright lights coming from behind?
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    LR introduced the "waterfall lighting" in the 2003 Range Rover and carried it over to the LR3. it gives a nice enhanced glow to the center console at night.
  • btnbtn Member Posts: 35
    Dropped off my LR3 this am to get it checked out due to the stalling. At 11.30 the service manager called me from the road where he was test driving my vehicle to ask about the circumstances this happened in. If it's a simple test to see if it has the right fuel pump why would he need to test the vehicle? When I dropped it off it seemed that they weren't aware that this is an issue. The service advisor checked his computer for recalls and issues and came up with nothing. Should people on a message board really be more up to date with Land Rover issues then Land Rover themselves?
  • beachbumbeachbum Member Posts: 28
    At night when travelling on dark roads/highways I shut off the GPS screen. It is easier to see and much easier on the eyes. This is when the "waterfall" light really comes into play and I think very useful.
  • colorado5colorado5 Member Posts: 4
    i got a cable at compusa...single prong both ends ...one end into the auxillary jack one end into the headphone opening on the ipod...works great...the cable cost $5-$6 bucks.

Also have had my lr3 for 4500 miles....no major problems...love driving it.
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    I drove my LR3 from the Jersey shore to Buffalo, NY on Monday afternoon/evening. Toward the end of the 450 mile trip, there were terrible snow squalls (between Syracuse and Buffalo). Even Western Ny'ers slowed to a crawl; and cars were sliding all over the place.

Yet--for the first time under this type of conditions in my driving life--I felt that I had complete traction at all times. I drove carefully--because stopping in icy conditions is tricky in any car--but managed to maintain a fairly good rate of speed. The SNOW mode is truly amazing. Not only did I feel safe and able to maneuver, but I was riding in perfect comfort; and emerged unrumpled at the conclusion of the trip.

The only negative part of the trip was that the fuel economy was 16.2 mpg (avg rate of speed 59.0 mph). I think the problem was the, except for the hour of storms, I had the LR3 in cruise control. The stormy hour actually raised the fuel economy from the sub-16 mpg of the cruise control part of the trip. On a previous long-range trip, I did not use cruise control and got 18.8 mpg.
    "problem was the, except for the hour of storms, I had the LR3 in cruise control. The stormy hour actually raised the fuel economy from the sub-16 mpg of the cruise control part of the trip. On a previous long-range trip, I did not use cruise control and got 18.8 mpg. "

Other people on here seem to think that cruise control helps with mpg. I've been getting 15.5 mpg, for mostly highway driving. But I've got a heavy foot, perhaps because I've been driving BMW's for the last 6 years...
    Update is they think my stalling was an electrical problem. I asked if they checked the fuel pump and I didn't get a straight answer. Probably because the service manager doesn't know...He claims they're waiting for a call back/direction from Land Rover technical hotline.
  • xchicagoan5xchicagoan5 Member Posts: 46
    Can you provide the SKU number and the product name? Thanks.
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    I was told the same last week...PTI will be an 06 item.

It's not a sales tactic, my situation is a little different. Yes, I have a Silver/Black HSE and I have another on order. The one on order is a replacement. Yes a replacement. I asked my dealer to "buy the vehicle back" due to some very noticeable paint flaws.

But, I can assure everyone that the dealer has been more than accommodating. They have surpassed all my expectations regarding this issue. Just as the LR3 has. Thankfully, I have not encountered any mechanical problems within 1500 miles. If I had this would have been my chance to bail and purchase something else.
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    Wal-Mart has a Belkin cable for ~$5. You can find them at most retailers in their electronics departments near the MP3 players.
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    Webbuzz, thanks for the info. Factory PTI does appear to be available now in some of the European markets. Waiting on confirmation from LRNA Customer Relations regarding US, then will go forward with HSE order and take delivery in about 8-9 weeks.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    As I have stated before, there could be a number of reasons for stalling. Land Rover wants the retailers to contact the technical helpline to go over the symptoms and decide the diagnostic tests that need to be run. I'm sure if the symptoms warrant checking the fuel pump pressure then the retailer will be told to do so.

The information I have presented on this board was from what I have heard in converstions, and is meant to give the people on this board confidence that Land Rover is working hard for solutions on this issue. I am not a technician and not privy to details like VIN ranges and all of the diagnostic steps. I am certainly not trying to second guess what our retailers or our technical service personnel feel is the proper way to diagnose or repair a vehicle.

I have stated before that I am not here in any official capacity and my posts are not in any way to be construed as a corporate response. I am just an enthusiast for our products and want to help our customers to enjoy their vehicles.
  • pitn1777pitn1777 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for your input. This is my first post. I took delivery of SE Grey/Alpaca on 12/31. I have over 1,000 trouble free miles. I've had many great vehicles and trucks and this is one of my favorites to date. My dealer in Ft. Worth is awesome and I'm really happy with the LR 3. I'm not sure in some comparisons why the editors say this thing is slower compared to other SUV's. The ride and drive and first impression is truly remarkable.

I've appreciated your "unofficial" input; as well as all the others who have posted their experiences.

I appreciate this vehicle more every day. Thanks again.
  • doctrixdoctrix Member Posts: 30
    My HSE now has 1200 miles and has had no problems other than the DVD-sound-through-speakers problem I've already mentioned. We had our first snow yesterday and the LR3 has a better drive on snow & ice than anything I have ever been in.

Until you experience it, you can't appreciate how comfortable, powerful, stable, and fun the LR3 is...
  • yogidocyogidoc Member Posts: 16
    hey fellow LR3 owner's ,

my LR3 had the airbag warning light show up on dash; thankfully the dealer picked up my car and dropped off a loaner disc 04 model; well it's been 3 days already and they can't figure out the problem, supposedly ordering some sort of diagnostic disc from rover???????????

I must admit this is sort of what i expected w/ a new model but my emotions won out ( like usual)soooooooo, it's back to driving the good old discovery which by the way is still fun.Hopefully i'll get my LR3 back by Febuary?????????? would be nice considering my $800/mo payments !
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    For those asking about Ipod connections via rear AUX input.

I use a Radio Shack 6ft (1.82m) Shielded Audio Cable.

1/8" stereo miniplug to 1/8" stereo miniplug.

SKU # 42-2387A

Cost = $4.99

Turn the Ipod up to full volume. Press "AUX" on radio and you should be all set with normal volume controls. Navigation & other voice commands interupt AUX as radio etc.
    "Update is they think my stalling was an electrical problem. I asked if they checked the fuel pump and I didn't get a straight answer. Probably because the service manager doesn't know...He claims they're waiting for a call back/direction from Land Rover technical hotline.

"

They now tell me that they found nothing and that the car is fine. I guess stalling out 45 minutes into a drive is normal. I also asked them to check my tire pressure. They say they filled it to 33 and 40. I told my service advisor that according to my manual it's supposed to be 33 and 36. He's going to look into. I guess it's better then the 48 and 57 they had them filled up to when I first got the car which had me slipping around...
  • cjdcjd Member Posts: 8
    I'm glad to hear I'm not imaging this slip. I took the car back to the dealer... they ran a diognosis and came up empty. They drove the car, didn't notice the slip, and said (or would not admit to) they had no other complaints. I might have to move to the UK.
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    Land Rover Parsippany sold us their first LR-3 and my parents traded their ML350 in on one, too. We have both had the stalling issue. My wife's displayed her's first then my parents - under same conditions described in this forum - under no acceleration, down hill at a turn. They checked fuel pressures and tightened connections on our's and checked codes/programming of fuel system. On my parents', in addition to what they did to our's, they had it four days and redownloaded the transmission program. As I understand it, LROA's present thought is that the transmission is not downshifting properly, thus causing the stalling. We shall see...this could be a problem for LR given the number of posts here (and our own experiences on two different vehicles) if not quickly and properly addressed.
    I want to call someone at LROA and talk to them about this issue. I want to see how seriously they are taking this and I want to know that they are working to fix it. I don't want to drive around in my vehicle wondering when it will stall again. I'll talk to my dealership again tomorrow when I pick up the vehicle. However after today's conversation it seems to me that they think there is nothing wrong with my LR3, NOT that they haven't been able to locate the problem yet.

Any recommendations as to who at LROA I should call?
  • cjdcjd Member Posts: 8
    I've had my LR3 for about 3 weeks, 1200 miles, and I've run the tank to empty and I've had no stalling problems. So far a great vehicle and fun to drive.

I don't have a contact for you at LR, but their North American headquarters is in Irvine California. Check information for Premier Automotive Group, Land Rover North America, Inc. in Irvine.
    Our dealer has the part in to fix the stalling - which is supposed to be a new fuel tank. We'll get it switched on Monday and I'll let you know how it goes.

We are up to 5 stalls in less than 3 weeks, but all 5 stalls have been at exactly the same spot (stop sign after coming down a hill). Doesn't seem to matter what level the fuel tank is. Since it hasn't stalled anywhere else, I doubt the dealer will be able to replicate the stall. They seem ready and willing to replace the tank, though.
    How did they determine it was the fuel tank? Did it show up as the problem when they did the pressure test that Tincup mentioned? My dealer did it and it came back fine...as did the electrical tests.
    They haven't seen the vehicle yet. They said that they heard about the fuel tanks being switched at the factory so they ordered a new one.

That's why I'm waiting to see until after the tank is replaced whether that fixes the problem or not.
  • notrovernotrover Member Posts: 1
    I think this is just the beginning. The core of LR is not reliable. So far this company had bad reliability and I dont think just by introducing

an already introduced Disco the reliability and quality is still a suspect. The fad is over for LR! IMHO. I think this is not worth the money. I see this vehicle discounted by $10,000.00 by end of 2005. The problems are just beginning IMHO. A donkey in a Horse skin is still a donkey only this time its an awkward donkey!

lam staying away from LR altogether and suggest you do the same. The number of complaints only proves that you will end up being suckered.

I will wait for 2006 Merc SUV.

Good Luck.
  • mmac1mmac1 Member Posts: 11
    Have you even test drove one? What do you mean by already introduced Disco? HAve you looked at one or are you here to bash them for no reason? You would probably complain that the gas mileage is not good next. Cause the civic gets 49 miles to the gallon.

You hear of a couple peoples unfortunate problems and jump to conclusions. I have not had a single glitch and many others haven't as well. It is an amazing vehicle. If all you want is something cheap and reliable, then get the KIA. I hear it is a real deal. The dealers by me can't keep them in Stock. So bargains are far away.

As for the 2006 merc. It is owned by Ford too. So why would you think the reliability would be better on that new ford product than with the premium line?

I bought mine knowing full well I was taking a risk on the history and hoped Ford fixed these problems as they have done with the Jag line. But even with that risk it still was a better vehicle for me than anything else. I could not be happier.
    Well "notrover" thats a really informative conclusion!

Go read other Forums and you will see most all vehicles have snags & glitches.

Now go find how many vehicles such as Lexus GX470's, MDX, Touareg etc are discounted... not much discounting getting done on the LR3 and there is a waiting list!

I see you just became a member today so you have not done your homework yet!

Go buy your 2006 Merc SUV...

Cheerio!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you don't want to read someone's posts, just use your down arrow or scroll wheel.

Back to the LR3.

Steve, Host
  • battrlbattrl Member Posts: 12
    Just returned from an LR3 test drive (awsome!). Regarding PTI availability, I was told that a tech from the dealership just returned from "LR3 school" and was told that all HSEs are now being built with PTI standard. SEs would have a retrofit available as the '06es approach.

Take it for what it's worth...
    Amazing. Land Rover is the master of misinformation, or people just don't pay attention in training. PTI is a factory option ($$$), and not "standard" on either the LR3 HSE or SE in North America.

The dealer installed PTI kit (a less capable voice-only "no radio keypad" version) is already available in some markets. (So I've been told.)
  • xiaodongxiaodong Member Posts: 39
    What's this PTI thing? Bluetooth stuff? Thx
    PTI is "personal telephone integration" and does support Bluetooth, but can also work hardwired with a cradle (with more functions).
    I have no reason to believe that LROA is not taking this stalling issue seriously. I am not sure they know the exact cause of the problem yet. I also might add that I am a LR enthusiast, presently owning a 1973 North American Specification Series III and previously Discovery I and II as well as a D90. IMHO, there is no truck out there at any price (including Rangie)that is all around as competent - the detractors who are lurking here are going to miss out on a good ride. Indeed, one of my clients has owned a '03 Lexus RX 470 since new (the supposed benchmark of quality) and has had nothing but problems - wobbling front end at certain speeds and electrical problems the dealer can't seem to fix.
  • bobt1bobt1 Member Posts: 2
    Interesting to see the picture with many of the suppliers names listed. The only real disappointment was Johnson Controls makes the seats. They also make the seats for Jeep WJ's and they are the biggest pieces of junk in that whole vehicle. Hopefully Ford insists on a heck of a lot better product from Johnson then what DC specs.

By the way, still think Rover has come out with one of the best new vehicles with the LR3. Hope everyone gets their new model issues resolved and it proves to be a great product.

Finally, since when is Mercedes Benz part of Ford as a previous post stated? The merger was with Chrysler.
  • roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    I've read here and elsewhere that there are several theories as to the stalling issue ie diesel fuel pumps mistakenly put in. Has anyone figured if the stalling issues are occuring in a certain vin range? On a side note, my much delayed HSE delivery may finally happen. Dealer says it's off the ship and on the truck. Since I pre-ordered in August, I hope so!
  • outrageousoutrageous Member Posts: 55
    "I want to see how seriously they are taking this and I want to know that they are working to fix it."

I'm surprised that LR doesn't seem to be sending field engineers wherever necessary to diagnose this stalling problem. This is clearly an issue which could affect the safe operation of the vehicle. If a dealer can't fix it on three separate attempts, I believe that would be grounds to invoke the lemon law in most states. You should be careful to document all instances of stalling and your interactions with the service department.
  • nwxnwx Member Posts: 21
    Well...my brother-in-law finally took the dive and purchased a Java Black SE today. Fairly well loaded with Nav., HIDs, 3rd row seats, cold weather package, etc.. Dealership was very willing to cut a deal and very accommodating in general.

I'm really intrigued by this vehicle and so looking forward to some road trips in the coming months.

By the way, I once had to rent a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer during a trip to New Mexico and I have one thing to say: NEVER AGAIN!!!

I'll be in touch...
  • bouldersboulders Member Posts: 18
    Need some info. How much does the tire pressure vary with the outside temperature? Recently, on a cold day when the temperature outside registered in the teens my tire pressures were 30psi front and 33 psi rears.
    "They haven't seen the vehicle yet. They said that they heard about the fuel tanks being switched at the factory so they ordered a new one."

Wow. With me they show disbelieve that it even happened since they "couldn't duplicate it in their road test." They tested the fuel pressure, and "did a wiggle test at main fuse box" and there was no problem. Their notes read as follows... "I speak with Landrover engineer:Mike who agrees that there is no problem at this time and to close the case."

Do these people think I'm lying? That my vehicle didn't stall? Or do they just want me to play Russian roullet with my life because they need it to stall numerous times before they believe me? Next time I'm doing 45 mph and I stall there might be a car behind me, hey who cares, they couldn't duplicate it in their tests.!

Their whole service report was condescending in tone.

-Customer states the door lock cyl fell out (not what I said)

Left front door outside handle cover fell off.

Customer states center rear seat doesn't fold completely down

Needs to pushed down with strong snap.

Check and all seats fold and unfold with no problem.

In the next 2 days I will be going back to the exact place I stalled with my video camera. If it doesn't happen again I will forget about this, if it does I will supply a copy of the video to land rover.
    My HSE already has the "Phone" commands in the system.

I would assume a "Kit" will be released. (I know not when) that will connect to a phone or bluetooth phone.

Try voice command "Phone Help" and you should get a brief list of available voice commands.

There are many others I'm discovering but of course none of this appears in a handbook etc.

Of course once you try to issue a Dial command it comes back "No Phone Fitted".

Be nice if someone came up with a Master Voice Command booklet.

If anyone discovers any new commands let me know & I'll try to compile a "Cheat Sheet".
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Need some info. How much does the tire pressure vary with the outside temperature?

As a rule of thumb tire pressure will change by about 1 psi for every 10oFahrenheit change in temperature.

tidester, host
    Tell the dealer to log onto this forum and review the reports. It seems as if they are all stalling going downhill, no throttle and in a turn with brakes on. Land Rover Parsippany apparently was able to duplicate problem with my parents' vehicle. If this dealer is unaccomodating, ask to speak to the factory rep.

I might add that during a test drive on the dealer's driving course, the demo stalled going downhill and would not start until the car was able to reset itself. There is a problem.