Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Yep! I guess the "lemon law" is your next best thing. All the posts and people that came up with that problem (water in the spare tire well) said that it was fixed and in a couple of months the problem came back. Some had even sand or gravel on there spare tire coming in from somewhere with the water. They just don't seem to be able find or fix that problem.
    Last night I noticed that my steering wheel made a weird sound "squeaking sound" when I was stop and turning my steering wheel left or right. The sound seems to be coming from the steering column. It's not the regular tire on pavement sound, it's realy from the steering movement. Any ideas what it could be?
  • martha2000martha2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I let my brother borrow my Equinox a couple of days ago. Well the idiot broke the wiper switch and now my wipers won't work. Do any of you think that it might be the fuses or do you really think it is the switch?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • debbie28debbie28 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Equinox and I have noticed it doing this also. It is not every time but almost. Nothing surprises me with this car. It is the worst car I have ever owned. When I call to make an appointment for it all I say to them is this is the owner of the Equinox from Hell. They know right away who it is. It has been nothing but problems since I have owned it. They for the most part all seem to be electrical, and you know how hard that is to prove. It has been towed a total of 4 times for this. It is always when I am out of town. I hate to even think about going out of town now. Then I can be driving down the road and all of a sudden my window will go down just enought that I can hear the air coming in. They claim they can't get it to do this. It happens all the time to me. I will never buy one of these again. Also the gas mileage is horrible. Not even close to what they say it should get.

I could keep on writing about this vehicle, but I will stop for now. Can't wait to get rid of it. Just can't afford to right now, so I am stuck with it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Do any of you think that it might be the fuses or do you really think it is the switch?

I'm not sure why you suspect a fuse when you already said the switch was broken. In any case, you can test the fuse hypothesis by swapping in a new one.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    My 05 LT Nox has been a "Cream Puff" since the day I bought it (new) 32 months ago. The only problem is that every year I have to get my front discs "shaved" it's now my third time because they seem to warp pretty fast and caused a bad vibration when I applied the brakes. But recently, Hell is breaking loose. A squeaking steering wheel, squeaking brake pedal when pushed lightly, drifting snow comes in by the driver's door and tailgate, transaxle oil leak and a humming sound coming from the back. The sound is not coming from the tires because I still have the originals on and that humming sound came suddenly and I hear it every day. Your right, gas mileage is not exactly as they said and I'm not a fast driver I"m always trying to get the most out of it. Got three more months and the warranty is over and I'm not financially able to trade it right now. Kind of scary.
    I'm starting to believe that Hell must be full of Equinox.
  • skaufman139skaufman139 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Both of the main headlamps stopped working on my 2005 Equinox LT. I checked the fuses and even switched out the relay, but it didn't solve the problem. The high beams and fog lights still work fine. Is it possible that both lamps burned out simultaneously? Any other thoughts on the cause and how to fix it?

- thanks muchly.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I also have a 2005 Equinox LT and the right headlight bulb died last week. I got a new one from local auto store and it was a real pain to install. After you remove the 3 screws that hold the light assembly in place, you have to remove the plastic fasteners that attach the grill to the upper radiator support and pull the grill forward. You can then slide the light unit forward and manuever it away from the fender to access the light sockets. There is no way to access the sockets to replace the bulb without removing the whole unit.

It is possible that both bulbs died on your Nox. Only one bulb is used for both low and high beam. Turn on your headlights manually, then see if the high beam works. If the highs work, then I would say the bulbs are bad. It is rare for both the low and high beam part of the bulb to fail at the same time. If your lows and highs are both out, It could still be the bulbs or you have another problem.
    About a week ago I noticed a humming sound that seems to be coming from the rear wheels of my Nox. Almost the same sound as tires rolling on the pavement but it can't be the tires it's been 3 yrs that I have the truck with the same tires and it just started a week ago. When I decelerate the sound seems to slow down as the wheel turns slower and increases as I accelerate. When I press on the brake the sound is still there, I've tried the truck in neutral and rev the motor while rolling = the same decreasing sound. So I figure that it's not the muffler, the brakes or the transaxle causing that sound. My friends tell me that a wheel bearing could be the problem but I only have 20,000 miles on my truck. Any suggestions?
  • subchefsubchef Member Posts: 2
    Hello I have a 06 NOX and I have noticed a thumping sound and wonder if it is the same thing you had with you yours. It only does it at slow speeds as well. I will have the dealeship look inti this problem.
  • subchefsubchef Member Posts: 2
    What year is your NOX, mine is an 06 model. I have not noticed the smell only a thumping sound. Sorry that you have to go through all this, I hop you get it fixed.
  • apschreiberapschreiber Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2006 Nox and the Daytime running lights don't work... if they try to kick in, the dash indicator flashes about five times and goes out. The regular beams work fine in AUTO and manual. I've swapped out the DRL relay under the hood with another one next to it for the foglamps and that didn't fix it. I'm thinking the DRL has a dimming module that went bad, but where is it? I can't find any info on this at all. Can anyone post some help to this? When is Chilton's or Haynes going to get a repair book out for these?
    Thanks in advance,
    Aaron
    Well here we go again. I have posted here before for this same problem. It started back in April of 2007 to my 2006 Equinox. I was out of town and all of a sudden it wouldn't start. You have power because all your lights and everything will come on, but it just doesn't do anything when you turn the key. It was towed 2 times while in Cleveland Oh. They really didn't fix the problem but I was able to get home with after the second time. They replaced fuses and replaced a harness on the transmission. I took it in to my dealer and they looked at it, but since it wasn't failing for them, they couldn't do anything. Then on Oct. 1 in Indianapolis I had to have it towed again. I left the car in the hotel parking garage, gave the valet my keys and found a ride home to South Bend Ind. Pure luck I could do that. This time they said they rerouted the transmission wire harness around a different way around the transmission. Guaranteed me that they fixed it right this time. Well here it is Jan. 18, 2007 and I was going to pick my kid up at school and the chimer started going off solid and wouldn't stop for about 2 mins. I knew what was going to happen. I didn't dare turn the car off until it was where I wanted to park it for the tow truck to pick up. I called my dealer and they called a tow truck immediately. It is now at the dealers here in town. So we will see. This is the 4th time this has been towed for the same reason. I am really getting tired of it. There are other wierd little things that it does to. It is really all electrical. I am going to check into the lemon law and see what I can do.

Has anyone ever checked into that or know anything about it????????
  • gc1615gc1615 Member Posts: 3
    I am hearing some of the things that have gone wrong with my 05 Equinox. It has less than 30K on it and the head gasket has been replaced, sway bar bushing on the front driver's side cracked in half (caused a loud thudding noise at higher speeds as it hit bumps) and then something made a humming noise on the rear passenger tire that they had to replace. I love the utility of the vehicle, but the quality problems will probably keep me from buying another. Also being built in Canada is a downer for me as well (as my Nissan Frontier was put together in the US). Hopefully GM can turn this around!
  • noxownernoxowner Member Posts: 7
    I have an 07 nox, which i love to drive, but am still having issues with the tranny shifting back and forth from high gear on the highway. I only average about 18mpg (that may be generous) but how could it be better when its constantly shifting. My dealer has reprogrammed tranny twice, but says this is what this tranny does. It shouldn't. Is there anyone having this problem besides me? It's not like I'm driving in mountains. I just want to get better mileage than I'm getting now....
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Why is built in Canada a downer for you? GM is basically a North American company. Nissan is Japanese. Canadian auto plants have a sterling record of production. GM's Oshawa, Ontario plant wins accolades for their quality and efficiency and is the equal of any auto assembly plant in the world. Your problem is with GM's engineering design and parts suppliers, not where the SUV was built.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Additional info. Did you realize that your engine was made in China? Most V6 Equinox OHV engines are made there. It truly is a world market for autos these days.
    Built in Canada you say ? You might change your mind after reading this. Your 3.4 L engine LNJ V-6 was built in China, the Transmission (transaxle) Aisin AF33 was built in Japan, most plastic parts in the Equinox comes from Taiwan then add a couple of parts from the U.S. and the rest from Canada. Everything is shipped to Vancouver B.C. then put on trains all the way to Ingerstoll Ontario. So.... are we still saying that the Equinox is "built" in Canada? I'd say It's more like "assembled" in Canada.
  • silvernox25silvernox25 Member Posts: 1
    My 06 Nox has been making the same thumping noises for quite sometime. Service has never been able to identify the problem or fix the noise. Have you recieved any feedback on what could be causing the problem?
  • strapstivisstrapstivis Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Windshield Washer Fluid resovior in the 2006 Equinox has a Drain Plug at the bottom? I'm wondering how I could get all the fluid out so I can put some non-freezing kind in. I just got an Equinox from a Dealership and it's freezing up on me everyday.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm wondering how I could get all the fluid out so I can put some non-freezing kind in.

If you can't find a drain plug it's really easy to siphon the fluid out.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was thinking turkey baster, but some of the reservoirs have a screen fitted in the neck that would keep a siphon hose or the baster from going into the tank.

You may have to unbolt it and flip it upside down or figure out how to remove one of the hoses off the pump.
    There is a screen but it's way at the bottom of the tank on the windshield washer pump, so using a turkey baster is a good idea if there is no drain plug. I guess only emptying ½ of the tank should do the trick and fill it up with the winter windshield washer it's good for minus 40.
  • ben05ben05 Member Posts: 3
    what kind of problem did u have with the rear diff?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    yes, i think removing a volume and replacing with the winter washer fluid will more than suffice. the person can continue to slowly overfill and that should continue to displace some of the liquid which could not be removed by siphoning or use of the baster.
  • ben05ben05 Member Posts: 3
    own a 2005 nox,I have a loud clicking noise in rear of vehical when driving through deep snow, dealer says its normal ? when 4 wheel kicks in it only makes a clicking noise. also a thud in stearing while turning a courner at slow speeds, I see struts may be the problem? I only have 3000 mi left on my wty cars at 33,000 mi, If anyone can shed a little light one the subject that would be nice! Thanks:Ben :sick:
  • tomwalttomwalt Member Posts: 14
    I had the same type problem at 16K miles and the dealer identified it as a bad hub. Part was replaced 1 day later and problem was gone (2 months ago).
    The sound was worsening day by day. So I went to the dealer and right on... a "left rear hub bearing" had to be replaced. That was surely the problem because the sound is now gone.
    Thank you for replying to my post, it shows that people on this forum really care for other members.
  • commuter10commuter10 Member Posts: 26
    Absolutely no problems with my 2006 Equinox since my last post. It has 20,000 miles. I have been following the simplfied service schedule as outlined in the manual. The "I" service is $99 and the "II" service is $199. My question is: Are those the prices other dealers are charging. My dealer now offers a "III" service at a price in the middle. Are others following that? I am getting about 4,500 miles between service when the change oil light comes on.
    What is the "I" and "II" service you are talking about? I have never been offered anything like this. Can you tell me what kind of gas mileage you are getting around town?
  • commuter10commuter10 Member Posts: 26
    In the back of the manual the maintenance I and maintenance II services are listed. In the 2006 manual they are on page 6-7 and 6-8.

Around town I get 18-19 mpg.
  • klnncklnnc Member Posts: 12
    I hope you respond to this message. I have a new 2008 Equinox with exactly the same thing going on. They are clueless at the dealership. Did you ever find what it was?
    When I start off with the car, once it reaches 15mph, a pop sound is heard from the front end. Kind of sound like a pebble being thrown out of the tire into the front undercarriage. It does this once and once only. Example, after it happens and I stop the car, I cannot reproduce the sound by once again getting up to 15 mph. The car has to sit for some time and then start it up and go again for the pop to be heard once again. This is a brand new 2008 Equinox FWD with 775 miles on it. Can anyone give me insight to pass on to the dealer? Please
    Sorry, but going off topic here a bit, saw you have a 2008 Equinox. Can you tell me if you have a sound being emitted from the front of the car (engine?front end?) when accelerating for the first time after the car has sat for awhile? This sound almost is like a pebble throwing up into the undercarriage. It occurs at 15mph.
  • noxownernoxowner Member Posts: 7
    just a note...since i wrote this, my dealer reprogrammed the oxygen sensors, but mileage is no better. i would appreciate any ideas on changes that could be made to help. Another dealer said the shifting is the biggest complaint of all vehicles sold there. Does anyone else have these problems?
  • sadlo1sadlo1 Member Posts: 1
    driving fine stopped at light, tc lite came on dash, car would not restart, just filled with gas oil change and replaced air filter.. possible no fuel help neccessary to tow has 59,000 ,miles...... :confuse: :sick:
  • greanlanterngreanlantern Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Equinox and the same thing has happened - humming sound which became so bad it was as if I was driving a gravel truck. I drive alot and at 65000 miles the warrenty is long gone, they want to charge me $462.38. I need my car by monday so I may pay it - hard to find a bearing hub WITH abs. But I will keep trying.
  • lwc2lwc2 Member Posts: 4
    06 Equinox has a filter in the top of the airbox, it appears to be permanent. It is not the air filter which is replaced periodically.
    Has anyone removed this permanent filter in the top of airbox in order to improve mileage etc?

Thanks!
    I would be interested in this also. I also have 06 Equinox. I get horrible gas mileage. I might as well kept my ford truck, it got the same type of mileage.
  • lwc2lwc2 Member Posts: 4
    Dealer said it was there to prevent water going into the engine???
  • apschreiberapschreiber Member Posts: 2
    Well, we had our Equinox in for service (hub replacement) and I had them fix the daytime running lights (DRL) as well. During the day when the DRL's are on, a relay picks up (located in the electrical box under the hood) and routes the power to the headlamps through a power resistor. Well, our resistor was cracked/broken and needed to be replaced. I asked the dealer and they said it is located somewhere near one of the headlamps (possibly the headlamp has to be removed to get to it).
    So, the DRL problem is fixed.
    Also, as for the hub replacement... I will do the next one myself... parts can be had for about $150 and it looks pretty easy... hardest part will be removing hub... may need a puller, which is easy enough to borrow from a local parts store. Instead of paying around $500 to have it done, I could do it myself for the cost of the part.
  • drakefamily2drakefamily2 Member Posts: 3
    My daughter just bought a 08 Nox and have water in spare wheel well area, is there a common fix?
  • chendricksonchendrickson Member Posts: 6
    I have gone through the whole experiance with the water in the wheel well. Mine was a 2007 nox and I had about 14 gals of water in the spare tire wheel well. It needs to be taken care of quick or the water will stagnate and cause black mold and it really stinks bad. Everything that is in the car, including yourself will smell like sewer gas. My dealer could not find the problem, I found it myself but it was too late, the car was ruined with the smell, it had absorbed into everything, even after cleaning it the smell remained. GM ended having to buy the car back, it was so bad, I could not stand the odor. I guess that the pressure vents leak, especially when you go through the car wash with the high pressure. Please keep posting and let me know how you make out, or have any questions. It was a nightmare. :cry:
    Where exactly is this pressure vent?
  • chendricksonchendrickson Member Posts: 6
    I really do not know exactly where they are, but I think that there are 2 of them somewhere in the back of the vehicle. My suggestion is to take it to a dealer and have them seal them up.
    They replaced the seal around the rear hatch and it seems to have fixed problem.
  • imjonboyimjonboy Member Posts: 2
    2006 LT 2wd. I do much of my own maintenance myself, and wish to change my transmission oil. There's no pan to remove to drain old fluid, but I've located the drain plug and the refill plug (no dipstick). Does anybody know if there is a transmission filter, and where it is? The ACdelco website lists a part number for a filter, but I can't seem to locate where it goes. Is it simply an inline magnetic device for filtering, and if so, where is it located? I had a Olds Silhouette with the 3.4 and four speed. Silhouette is heavier, but got much better mpg. Equinox is geared much differently, RPM is significantly higher at various speeds compared with the Silhouette.
  • jackswammijackswammi Member Posts: 10
    There's no way to check fliud on an Equinox,(thus no dipstick). I don't think you are supposed to change the fluid either. It's one of those "lifetime things".If it leaks, I think you have to take it to a dealer. Same if you want it changed. I hope you haven't drained it yet! Supposedly you should never have to add fluid. The early Honda Passports made by Isuzu were like this too. The Equinox has a Japanese transmission made by Aisin. Supposed to be the biggest transmission/transaxle maker in the world. Probably a lot of different cars like this.
  • imjonboyimjonboy Member Posts: 2
    Right...no dipstick, but the Equinox tranny is just like the transfer cases that pick-ups have used for decades, having a drain plug and a fill plug. The fill plug is mounted horizontally, so it cannot be overfilled. As for changing the fluid, the owner's manual gives change intervals based upon usage conditions. I live in the desert southwest, where the temps always excede 90, and there are mountains too. So, two of the criteria are met for the severe condition change interval of 50,000 miles as shown in the manual. So back to my question of where is the filter located? Other vehicles that have manual transmissions, transfer cases, and even differentials have fluid that is changed at intervals, none of which have filters. So I'm wondering if these Equinox transmissions don't use filters, similar to the other mentioned drivetrain systems.
  • scott08sportscott08sport Member Posts: 1
    I only have about 1,500 miles on my sport. I have noticed a "whir noise" and clunk. It happens at running temp when I am slowing down at a stoplight. No noise when running cold. I need help! Thanks, Scott