Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• powderkeggpowderkegg Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone had any issues with only the low beam headlights not working? I have high beams and every other bulb is lit on the car. All the fuses are intact and the headlamp relay is clicking when the light condition is detected. I am hoping this is not a headlamp module on the steering column that failed similar to when the highbeam switches on the floors of the old trucks would fail.
  • nothappy05nothappy05 Member Posts: 6
    I need your help. I have an Equinox that I have had a problem with. It would do alot of clicking when I tried to start and then slowly start. Dealer could not duplicate problem so they cleaned battery terminals.

I was going down road and key fell out while i was driving and the car kept running like the old fashion kind. It just went out of warranty so i had to pay half for new ignition.

I am hearing a whistling noise it started from the rear I thought but it seems to be from the front. It kicks on from a cold start after driving for about 8 minutes when you hit around 25 mph. When you put the brakes on it still stays on. When you slow down it seems to stop but slowly.

This has happend to me twice. I started car and steering dosen't work. If you shut car off and restart it is is okay. This happend twice.

I got a flat the other day and I oppend the hatch and where the tire was had an inch of water.

The drivers door hindge needs to be replaced.

I already replaced the hatch pistons one of them had stopped working.

I have around 68000 miles and most of this occured after warranty except for the clicking noise when trying to start. Could you please tell me what I should do and what the problems could be so I can get them fixed, I called the dealer today and they said there is no reacalls or bullentins.

Please Help
    The only input I have is for your key issue. If you have a gob of keys on your ring it adds way too much stress on your ingnition switch and problems like you are having occur. My suggestion is that you take your ingnition key and put it on a separate ring and have only that ring in the ingition. Use a detatchable clip (like a carabeaner) to reattatch your keys when you are not driving the car.
    Bad multifunction headlamps switch! $50 at the dealer and a piece of cake to replace.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Get rid of it before your repair bills go past a down payment for a new one.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    The steering on this vehicle it either comes with Hydraulic or Electric steering assist.
    If it's the electric system there is a service bulletin 06-02-32-002C about if has difficulty operating it goes into system thermal error and sets a code to the DTC either C0476 ,C0176 . If this has happened it goes into a fail safe mode so the system doesn't over correct and damage the steering with too much force from the electric motor.

Have it checked for safe operation of the vehicle.
    Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for water leakage in 2005-2009 Torrent ,Equinox's. Dated Oct 8 2008 TSB 08-08-57-001A covers all types of water leaks in the vehicle and your water in the spare tire compartment.

Have the chevy dealer check this TSB ,water is coming in from one of the seams . Probable needs to have new sealant applied to the seam area of compartment.
    News that GM will drop four car lines and remain with just Chevy, Cadillac , Buick and GMC to start 2011 model year .

Also Obama asked Mr Wagner CEO of GM to resign before he reads the Auto sector bail out plans on Monday 30 2009, Mr Wagner did resign from his post as CEO of GM, i guess 13 million a year was too much money to be making when your company is in DEDIT.

I guess showing up in November in front of congress having flown your private jet there and then asking the Government for bail out money wasn't that smart . What's it cost , at least 50 to 60000 dollars to fly round trip, oh ya there is airport landing fees on top..Not to smart maybe that why he got the boot, not spending money wisely is how the President looks at it.

Sounds like the Chevy brand will continue to reach the 100 year mark so the value will rise.
    Thanks for everyone helping out. I am going to call them again as soon as they open, One last question as far as the noise coming from the front. It sounds like whirrr or noise from the radio (it's not ) the weird thing is it takes about 8 minutes to start making the noise. The car needs to warm up. I had the brakes replaced in the winter. I read some other posts. Do you think that is the struts. It is not when I turn. Car hits about 25 mph and kicks on untill car slows down. Shut car off while driving and it still did it.
    one more question. THis problem happend shortly after the steering locked up. Could the noise be coming from the steering?
    It could be electrical noise , sounds like the motor is fighting against the steering ,over working creating a load on the motor.. Seems to be in fail safe mode hopefully.

Have you had a message on the driver information display about the steering.. service power steering.
    no I did not, I am going to go to dealer again today to have them listen to the noise.
    There is TSB 07-08-46-002b about audio whine on the speakers from the OnStar ,for 2007 2008 car and trucks.
    They put a filter in voltage system to correct it. This audio whine increases and decreases with the speed of the vehicle.
    Well I took it to the dealer again for the whinning noise. They heard it. They said it is probablly the rear differential housing. $2000.00 And not sure if it will fix the noise. Has anyone had that replaced for the whinning noise and did it work? I spoke with my local mechainic and he suggested changing the fluid first.
    The diff case holds 500 ml, 16.9 ounces differential axle lubrication GM 89021677 us -6778 cda. Just two plugs , looks like a hex key used for the plug takes about 40 minutes to complete.
    Is your an AWD Equinox.
    You can check the level by taking out the top plug in the differently. The fluid level should be at the bottom edge of the threads. Just stick your finger in and feel for the fluid in the diff. You can a synethic diff oil or use GM's.

Check for any leaks from the input shaft into the diff and also on the seals on each side of the diff housing where the drive shafts from out from.
    This was in a message I posted a few weeks back on my 05 Nox, see rear issues I had, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there wasn't a hidden warranty some where with the rear of this SUV. I would say the same change the fluid first with a synthetic conditioning rear oil from Lucas first.

Rear growling like noise - They had to replace rear differential - 17,115 mls
    ABS light came on - They had to replace the right rear speed sensor - 24,236 mls
    ABS light came on - They had to replace left front speed sensor - 32,115
    ABS light came on - They had to replace the left front speed sensor wire harness - 32,815

The whinring noise - They had to replace the right rear bearing.- 32,079 mls
    yes awd
    There is transfer case on the front of transmission it too has a drain plug and and fill plug to check the level. I believe it uses different lubricant than the rear diff but should be checked as well for leakage and fluid level .

There are two types of transfer cases Getrag 760 and NVG 900 both have same amount of synthetic oil in them GM specs. The Getrag has the both plugs on the driver's side of the case. NVG looks to have a bottom drain plug and the fill plug is on the passenger side of case

Man i love the AWD system but it has alot more maintenance issues than the FWD model version.
  • retiredarmyretiredarmy Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to install cross rails on rack,where do you pry to pop back covers off,I dont want damage anything on a new car ,i tried to get covers off
    but no luck, instructions are very vague,thank you for any help
  • jmedlin6jmedlin6 Member Posts: 6
    I have an 08 Nox. I have an Alldata subscription. If you send me your e-mail address, I'll send you the instructions and diagram that it lists. I'm assuming it is the same as the 09's">
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Assuming they are the same as the 08s. They are attached with a very stiff version of the plastic ribbed fasteners used on door and interior trim. Pry them straight up, start from the back, be careful not to scratch the paint. They are a bugger and you may need new fasteners when your done. If at all possible try and do it on as warm a day as you can, I find the more pliable the plastic the better it works. Good Luck
  • markk60markk60 Member Posts: 2
    my sil let some one use her truck to jump their car , right after that no power steering.. dealer said to never jump or jump another car with the Equinox.. they did cover it under warrenty about 1300.00 bucks. any thoughts on this. thank you.
  • markk60markk60 Member Posts: 2
    my sil let some jump their car with her Equinox and it killed the power steering . i wonder when they worked on the battery had any thing to do with the steering problem
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    By "jump" do you mean "jump start" or "boost"?
    If so, this winter I did it 3 times and no problem with the steering or anything else.
    By the way, the Equinox has an electric steering, no power steering in the Equinox.
  • rego500rego500 Member Posts: 2
    Hey there everyone! I have an 05 Equinox that is a very basic model. I want to change out the factory speakers, because they are now blown. Each time that I go to a manufacturer's website, I get two different sizes for both the front and the rear speakers - 5 1/4" and 6 1/2". Which one is right? If i go with a 5 1/4" do I need to get a bracket? If I go with the 6 1/2" do I need to cut anything? :confuse:
  • john1965john1965 Member Posts: 7
    I need new tires for 08 equinox. On the car are bridgestone p235/60r17. does anybody have a reasonable priced tire that could last about 40k-60k . The bridgstone dueler ht are around 140 ish . any sugestions..?
    Here are my suggestions sorted by quality and durability for 235/60r/17,
    # 1 Kumho Solus KR21.
    # 2 Goodyear Assurance ComForted
    # 3 Kumho Solus KH16
    # 4 Continental ConProContact
    Coopers are suprisingly good tires, I had them on my 05 Nox for about two years before I turned the car in and they ran well
    I agree, Cooper brand tires are very good, my winter tires on my 2005 Equinox were Coopers and they dug right in the snow with no problems but my size of tires are 235/60/16
    But do they make tires in that size (235/60/17) ? When you go in the 17's and up sizes it's a bit harder to find than 15's and 16's
    The four brands that I mention in my "reply post" do manufacture the requested size.
  • misty8misty8 Member Posts: 15
    I just replaced my Bridgestone Dueler HT 235/60/17 original equipment tires on my 2005 AWD Equinox after 64,000 miles. They still had a decent amount of tread left on them. I ended up replacing them with Firestone Destination LE for $158 each. They were a bit more expensive than the Bridgestones but they are rated better in some surveys. I think they are much quieter. I just hope I can get the same treadwear.
    At 49,000 km (29,800 miles) I noticed that I was loosing coolant in my 2005 Equinox, the dealer change my engine head and valve gaskets, it cost me 1,300 $
    Since that repair, every time I started the truck (cold start) I ca hear a clinking sound from the engine until it gets warm (the same sound as a muffler cooling off). I called the dealer and he said it was normal and the sound came from the bolts because they were warming up. I told him that it didn't do that when it was new, it's only from the time they worked on it.
    It's been 2 months and I drove 2,000 km (1,250 miles) since they replaced my gaskets, oil, coolant and bolts ect... and tonight I was checking under the hood because I'm planning a little trip this weekend and guess what, I noticed that my coolant in my reservoir is 2 inches below the normal "cold" level and the color has gone from orange to a brownish color and the plastic of my reservoir is stained with a kind of residue that sticks on the interior of the reservoir.
    What the hell happened?
    I have them on my 08 Torrent not to impressed with there wear and it's pretty are pretty obvious just after after 10,000. They seem hollow, however hope they work well for you
    I did some research and put the Yokohama Avid TRZ on my girlfriends 06 Equinox. They are around $100 a tire and are rated for 80k. She has 15k on the tire and they are like brand new. They do well in the ice and snow mix in central PA. Haven't driven them in more than 4 inches of snow yet but they handle and wear awesome. They go through the puddles like they weren't there. If you look at the treadwear rating on the Duellers that came with most of the equinoxes you will see that they are only rated 480..... junk...... the Avid TRZ is rated 700.
  • poefiremanpoefireman Member Posts: 3
    bought an 05 equinox with 17000 miles on it in 07. was bought for my wife as a daily driver and for trips to relieve my pick-up. late 07 i believe, we started having trouble starting the car. turn the key, engine would turn over and continue without key in start position. found out that was suppose to happen so we were told. how ever car wouldn't start. next time car would start no problem. after repeated times we took it in for the service tech to look at the problem. didn't know. told us to try injector cleaner and see what happened. continued to have the same problem. never would do it at the sevice dept. finally wife got stuck one time. tried starting for 15 mins. nothing. i told her i will pick her up and called the service dept. to pick it up. did it once to them. changed the fuel pump and checked voltage. no voltage prob. continued to have prob. left it with them a full week. no prob with them. we are not crazy. got it back. was also told before to wait 3 secs. in run position to let fuel system prim up then start. continued to have prob. cleaned throtle body and replaced k&n air cleaner i had in it whitch i put on after probs started. now has factory cleaner in it again. still have probs with the same issue. do i have a lemmon or does anyone have an answer to our probs with starting this car. ready to take a lose on balanc and get rid of it.
    My girlfriend's 06 equinox with 53000 miles does the extending cranking like you talk about and has since about 30000 miles. She bought the car new. It does it maybe 2 times a month... sometimes not for months on end. It has never left her stranded. To me it sounds like the computer is not telling the car to either a) fire the coil or b) pump the fuel. I'm not a mechanic but I think it's a ignition/computer issue.
  • poefiremanpoefireman Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. I will pass that on to my service tech. Also when the event does happen it's not leaving a log on the computer to read later. We are also going to try a different gas station and see if that does anything.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Does the extended cranking only happen when the nox engine is warm? Or will it happen when stone cold also?
    It occurs both warm and cold. It always starts on the next attempt. I've seen it happen with all brands of fuel. Full fuel tanks and tanks less than full. Perhaps for some reason it is vapor-locking.
    I noticed that my coolant is still low in my recovery tank.
    The dealer changed the head gasket 2 months ago because the coolant was always low. Now it's still going somewhere + it's now changing color from orange to brown and + there's a white milky residue (looks like mayonnaise) sticking on the interior side of the recovery tank that wasn't there before the gasket job.
    I also noticed that my temperature gauge rises faster than usual.
    What do you think?
    Sounds like there is a crack in the head or block. When coolant mixes with oil it turns a milky white light tan color.
    Does your temp level gauge read hotter than before or does it run cooler. You can have a sample of your oil checked for coolant in the oil , if it's not brown too dark brown then you probable have an internal problem with a hidden crack in the engines coolant passages bleeding into the oil. Has your oil level gone up at all since the head gasket was replaced.
    My temperature level gauge is at the same point as before but it seems to rise faster than usual, but stops at the same spot as it always been, never over heated. Only once it went a bit higher than usual but I was in heavy traffic, once I started to move it came back to its normal spot.
    When the dealer changed the head gasket 2,000 km ago they had to change the oil and coolant also. The oil looks normal, a bit brown but normal for a 2000 km oil. The oil level is right a the full mark on the dipstick.
    The week after they had changed the head gasket I called the dealer because I could hear a clicking sound every time I started the truck (cold start) the same clicking sound as a muffler cooling down but the sound came from under the hood.
    They said that it was normal, that it was caused by the different torque on the bolts or the bolts were warming up.
    I told him that it was pretty strange because it never did that before they worked on it and I had 49,000 km.
    Just came back from the dealer.

They checked everything with a special light to see if the antifreeze was leaking from somewhere. Everything is o.k.
    They said that probably there was air bubbles in the system when they replaced the head and valve gasket and they went up in my recovery tank and that's how the antifreeze's level went down. They toped off the coolant to it's full level.
    For the color change...they told me that it's probably dirt coming from the system that went in my antifreeze.
    Than for the white, milky substance... it's formed by a dirt ring on my plastic recovery tank and with the movement it mixed with the antifreeze and settled on the side of the tank.

They recommended me to do a "cooling system flush and cleaning" in the future but that it was not urgent.
    Well that's good news . You can drain the coolant from the system the old fashion way. Just open up the cap to the surge tank then go under the truck and find the drain valve cock on the bottom left side of the radiator . Open it and let gravity drain out the system , have a large pan to catch as much of the coolant as possible, it can be recycled. This can take Fithteen minutes or so ,close off the drain cock on the rad and start the refilling the system with 50/50 GM DexCool antifreeze and distilled water, it doesn't have hard water minerals that will plug up the small passages ways for the coolant a big problem that's over looked .

Open the air bleed screw on the water pump tower, slowly pour the new coolant into the surge tank and watch until the coolant begins to seep from the air bleed screw. Then close the screw and continue to fill the cooling system until full, install surge tank cap. Run the engine from idle to 3000 rpm in 30 second intervals until the engine cooling fan comes on then idle for 30 seconds and turn off engine.
    Allow the vehicle to cool add coolant to the recovery tank until the level is just above the cold level line . Install surge tank cap. The system should approx 5 liters of coolant.
    This method will not over pressurize the cooling system that can happen with a pressure flush method used in most shops. The coolant will be a bright orange and should be tested for the freezing point of at least -25 to -30C.

It's quite easy to change the coolant just takes some time and the proper fluids and will save you money.
    Has anybody ever heard of nexen tires? I can get Nexen tires model cp521 for my 08 chevy exuinox p235/70r16 for 487 installed , including the tpms.

does that dound prettygood? I dont know anything anything about them. The wholesale co says Bridgestone makes them .
    fI deliver newspapers for a living. I m in and out of drives very quicklly. so my tires get tortured. The oew are bridgestone dueller ht but are below minimum at 13000 miles.

Is it true that new cars out of the factory put on tires with less ply, and they wear out much quicker ? this has happened on a 2005 chevy silverado with the same tires.

I was told Kouhmo solorus kr21 are good and continential comntract. any sugestions.?
    Thanks for the info, (rvoth). I've copy/paste your reply and I will follow the procedure, I'm going to flush the system myself and save lots of $$$ for sure. Thank you!
    try the Yokohama Avid TRZ. they are rated 700 (compared to the 480 on the Bridgestone Dueller HT) and are a good fit for the car. Good traction all conditions, good handling on the highway and local roads. You can get them at discounttiredirect.com for $102 a tire with free shipping.
    I was cleaning my Nox today and I noticed that someone drove over a freshly painted white line with the truck.
    Result...my inner fenders (black plastic) are spotted all around with dry white paint splattered by the tires.
    I tried to remove the paint with soap, spot remover, soap pad, gasoline, paint thinner nothing worked. One of those products has made my plastic fade, good thing I tried them on a spot that doesn't show to much.
    Can someone suggest me something or has tried something with success to remove paint spots on plastic without damaging it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Now that they are nice and clean, how about just repainting them with some of that spray paint that's intended for use on plastic?