Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• farmerchrisfarmerchris Member Posts: 2
    Our Equinox has an extended cranking problem. It has been in the dealer several times. they replaced the starter once but that did nothing. the problem is intermittent, but happens a couple of times a week. sometimes the engine just doesn't catch.

We have also had braking problems. I am convinced the rotors are bad - they just keep machining them, but it is as if sometimes the brakes just don't hold.

of course, the dealer can never recreate the problem and they are getting as sick of us as we are of them.

any help?
  • clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    Plese note my vehicle does the same thing and still Chevy-_gmc had not addressed this problem.The Chevy equinox all years was designed my a Moron.
    G,m. Refuses to address the problem.My friendwho is a ase certified mechannic for over 35 years stated to me the strter in this vehicle the ' Chevy Junkonox" starting system has a flaw in the starter, thus the problem.Also for rotors,this vehicle eats them up.I had had 3 sets in 58,000 .i only put 25,000 miles on this used Vehicle myself.Another problem to get ready for is bad gas cap,cooling sytem problem etc....Looks Good,Runs lousy the Chevy Equinox!! baby it and then get rid of this Edsel asap.
    Please note my vehicle does the same thing and still Chevy-_gmc had not addressed this problem. The Chevy equinox all years was designed my a Moron.
    G,m. Refuses to address the problem. My friend who is a ase certified mechanic for over 35 years stated to me the starter in this vehicle the ' Chevy Junkonox" starting system has a flaw in the starter, thus the problem.Also for rotors,this vehicle eats them up.I had had 3 sets in 58,000 .i only put 25,000 miles on this used Vehicle myself.Another problem to get ready for is bad gas cap,cooling sytem problem etc....Looks Good,Runs lousy the Chevy Equinox!! baby it and then get rid of this Edsel asap.
    Seems like you Mr. Matthews work for Chevy GM. There is no way you ca call this truck but a lemon.I have extended warranty on this beast for that reason. It's used to be Mom's Apple Pie and Chevrolet. Not's is should be only mom's Apple pie and foreign Suv. Gm-Chevy decision does not care. have e--mailed and and written them over 100 times. Nothing has been done. the government should have allowed them to go bankruptct.I ws in a Chevy dealer the other day buying a Gas cap. salesman asked me why I would not buy another Chevy-Gm .I showed him my mounds of paperwork for repairs and other problems over 110 pges.He then proceeded to shut his mouth!!! cases Closed!!!
    I hope they do,I have spoken lawyers for the Gm legal department in Detroit,Mi at 300 Renaissance center. Since have kept all of my data they seem reluctant but to bury their heads in the sand .I spoke to them about all the issues.I am still awaiting a ruling and a decision from them. Since their bankruptcy I have forwarded all my Paperwork to Federal Trade Commission for them to deal with GM. You tell me who is afraid!!!!GM-Chevy Division is dodging the Issue.Is there anymore Chevy Equinox Owners Out there,they only way at this point we can go is a Class Action Lawsuit for Gm to fix or make restitution for People whoe relied on GM to build a
    Dependable and Worthy product.Plese report all your problems to the Federal Trade Commission.
  • poefiremanpoefireman Member Posts: 3
    My 05 continues to have this starting problem. All the dealership tells me is they don't know what it is but we can look at it again for you and by the way you will have to pay $100 dollars again. NEVER GET A DEDUCTABLE EXTENDED WARANTY POLICY. I have lost count of how many times this peace of junk has been there. We are just dealing with the problem and hope that it starts. By the way the brakes are a continued problem as well. I think I will take the advice of one of the other members and report the vehicle to the FTC just as soon as I close this message. Good luck were all counting on you.
  • bearbait1bearbait1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2008 Nox LS with 14000 miles and have not been back to dealer since I bought it. 21/22 mpg everyday driving,runs great! Only complaint was the anemic stock radio. Got an amp and 4 speakers from Crutchfield and now it sounds better than a Bose system! Love this vehicle!!!!!!!!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Look you have been ranting and raving here for months about your lemon. You bought a used car that you didn't have checked out and who knows, maybe it was used in Friday night figure 8 racing for a couple years. Bottom line, YOU HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF. You didn't check it out and now you seem to think EVERY vehicle G.M. builds is a lemon. I don't see it that way. I have bought well over 40 vehicles so far, maybe 75% G.M, others being Ford, one Chrysler, Honda and a 280Z which was the worst car I ever bought but NONE OF THEM WERE WHAT I WOULD CALL A LEMON. My 81 Olds 88 was in the shop a bunch of times but it wasn't a lemon in that sense, but the mechanic at the dealer sure was as it took him over 6 trips to fix a stupid simple oil leak around the valve cover cause everytime he fixed it he did something wrong like leave a wire or vacumim hose stuck in the cover. Finally had it fixed at a private shop and billed the dealer. When they refused to pay I cornered the sales manager in a showroom full of people and showed him all the attempts they tried fixing it and all I had to do was talk a little loud and he had a check drawn right then and there. All your rants have done here is turn off everyone here to your plight so if you think you are winning any friends here you have mistaken. So sell the darn thing and move on, life is to short. All you will end up doing is have a stroke. Hummmmmmm :P
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think some of the discussion is veering a little too far from the topic which is supposed be about maintaining and repairing your Equinox and not taunting and disparaging each other. Let's get back to the topic. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • gr8momnkcgr8momnkc Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am in need of some help regarding my Equinox. I have had nothing but problems and when I tried to address them with the dealer they gave me the number to Chevy and said it was their problem. The man I spoke with at Chevy was very rude. My warranty has now run out on a 2007 Equinox which filled up with water and soaked the entire inside of the car. The car smells like mold and mildew and the dealer will not help me. I can not get anywhere and it is way past frustrating. Is there anyone that can help me. I need to know if there is a law sute pending on this and if so where I can go to add my name. there has been several other issues with this car like the engine wire burning up and the mirrors breaking off. I am a single mother and got this car for reliable trasportation but so far it has been anything but reliable. thank you in advance for your help. gr8momnkc
    Equinox which filled up with water and soaked the entire inside of the car. The car smells like mold and mildew and the dealer will not help me.

How did water get into your Equinox? Is there some defect in the vehicle that brought this on?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • gr8momnkcgr8momnkc Member Posts: 2
    Yes the manufacturer forgot to put on the sealents on when they built the car. For the past two years any time it rained or I washed the car the water must have been filling up. Once it reached a certain point it had not where else to go except through the whole inside of my car. The dealer would not fix the carpet or anything and they refused to address the other problems I have had. At this point the dealer will not even see my car and the warranty has since then run out.
    That's unacceptable and you need to ratchet up by going to corporate. Perhaps others with experience can provide specific suggestions. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    I totally agree with you that Chevys are total junk and are unreliable!
    I have a 2002 Impala that I purchased new in October of 2001, as soon as the factory warranty ran out the BCM went bad $400.00 and the Passlock Sensor another $400.00 and the headlight combination switch went bad and the intake manifold leaked and the ISS steering shaft rattles!!
    This is only a partial list of why Chevy's are junk!! :lemon:

In 2007 I purchased a [non-permissible content removed] SUV and had no problems at all!! Runs great!
    Brake jobs and oil changes are the only maintenance it needs!!

If I ever purchase another American Made vehicle, I will probably go with FORD or Dodge.

Obama should have never bailed out GM (Government Motors??)
    At least they have good gas pedals and the frames don't rust out like Toyota. Maybe thats not true as it is [non-permissible content removed] as you so kindly pointed out. :P Personally I quit buying Japan junk as I had nothing but trouble with the 2 I bought along with a VW.
  • klnncklnnc Member Posts: 12
    Can anyone with an 08 answer me a question about the thick molded pieces around the windshield? On the driver side of the car, the piece that goes from the top of the windshield down to the bottom is straight. However, I noticed on the passenger side, it is not. It bulges out slightly towards the bottom and doesnt seem to hug the windshield as the other side does. I am concerned about water getting in if it is infact warped. Can anyone who has this years model take a look at theirs for me and tell me if it is the same? I have never noticed this bulge before. Thanks
  • klnncklnnc Member Posts: 12
    We are speaking of two completely separate issues. Your EVAP sounds and the sound that we hear once, from the driver side front end on a cold start, are NOT related. No one said you didnt know what you are talking about, just know on the topic that I posted about, you are not understanding that it is not EVAP related.
  • northerner19northerner19 Member Posts: 7
    Klnnc,

It's funny you ask about that - I have an 09 and my vehicle has the same bulge you speak of. I noticed it when I was scrapping off my windshield a couple weeks ago - I thought the molding was warping because it was getting cold outside (-30), but it appears normal.
  • azekissazekiss Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys and gals, I have a 05 Nox and have recently developed a severe leak that is draining into the passenger compartment on the passenger side. I took it in last week and the tech said that it was from the antenna mount being loose. They sealed it and said that was that, well as we all know that is never it with the Nox. Today my wife went out and of course the floor board is just saturated with water from the rain this past weekend. No she did not drive thru a puddle, it has been sitting in the driveway all weekend. Has anybody else heard of this little issue? I am waiting for the dealer to get back with me about this. It should be noted that I had the heater core replaced last summer, and living here in the desert we don't get that much rain. :confuse:
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    Here's a little water leakage story that may apply to your vehicle:

My Aunt used to own a '90 Olds Calais (bought brand new). One day while visiting she told me that water was constantly raining down on the passenger-side floorboard - so bad that it was almost always wet. I looked around the edge of the windshield but couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the seal. So I removed the plastic cowling around the windshield washer arms. What I saw underneath was contoured metal designed to run off water into a deep trough on the passenger side of the car - kind of like a small bathtub. At the bottom of the trough was some dirt and leaves, so I vacuumed that out. Once the trough was clean I noticed a magnetic "flip door" at the bottom - and then it dawned on me what was happening. The dirt and leaves had formed a dam at the bottom of the trough, stopping the "flip door' from opening. The trough needed to be completely clear so that the water could drain down the firewall inside the engine compartment. But with the trough dammed up, the water level would reach the top of the trough rim, then overflow in such a way that the water was able to dump into the passenger compartment in a very sneaky manner - down the firewall (inside the passenger compartment), behind the carpeting, where it would pool up on the floorboard and soak the floor. I think (with a garden hose and enough pressure) I was even able to get it to shower down somewhat.

I also recently dismantled a '98 Taurus and noticed the same type trough under the cowling (also on the passenger side), so this must be a common windshield water runoff design in all cars. If you've got a water leak on the passenger side and your windshield seal appears to be good (and you have no other reason to suspect the windshield seal), I'd look under the cowling - especially if your car is routinely parked near trees where debris could be falling near the wipers every day.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2010
    colt hero has probably nailed it. Good grief, I have no idea why your technician would pick a very unlikely cause to say the least and pass up the most obvious one. Common sense would tell us (if we really stopped and thought it over I mean) that even if the antenna were completely *missing* it would take days of rain for enough to fall into that little hole and flood a car.

I would definitely take colt's advice and explore the plugged fresh air vent drainage.

VISITING HOST
  • louisxivuslouisxivus Member Posts: 1
    Odometer light on my Equinox 2005 has quit working. Does anyone know what is the repair procedure?
  • misty8misty8 Member Posts: 15
    Same thing just happened to me when someone pushed the odometer reset button with the engine off. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to take to the dealer for repair.
    Well as an update...this still has not been fixed, today I am taking it back for the 3rd time because there is still water getting in. Last week the said that there was a problem where the plastic cowl around the window rattled its way somehow under the window causing the leak, Well they said they sealed it and tested it and there was no leak, Well needless to say it still leaks...
  • phill_in_gaphill_in_ga Member Posts: 2
    The Equinox is known for leaks so it could be water that has already collected in the car (check spare tire area). I also have an 05 and it developed a really bad leak. Managed to trace it to the sunroof. Remove the visor and then the side trim (pop out little cover and it is held in by one screw). Pull the door frame trim off and you can drop the roof lining. What had happened is the hard pipe had come out but was now too short to reach. It seems that the flex part moves down but will not move back so over a period of time it pulls the pipe out. Cut the hard pipe in two and inserted a small length of tubing to extend it back. Very easy repair and took less that 1/2 hour
  • phill_in_gaphill_in_ga Member Posts: 2
    05 Equinox 112000 miles had since new. No major problems except for leak from sunroof which I have repaired. This leak caused some water to get on harness (pop off cover on drivers side behind hood release). Cleaned connection as fan had stopped working. Fan is fine now and has been for a few months. Then today the drivers window will not work at all. All other windows are fine. Any ideas where to start looking?
  • sassysuesassysue Member Posts: 1
    I have no manual and the service light above the gas guage just came on and I have no clue, can anyone let me know what it could be. Thank you
    edited March 2010
    That story sounds ridiculous to me. I suppose the cowl COULD rattle loose if enough of the fasteners broke (or were otherwise missing), but this shouldn't have any effect on a water leak because the cowl is (typically) just a decorative molding - it's not waterproof. Forget about those bozos looking at your car and remove the cowl yourself - or if you can't do it, get someone who can while you're watching. You need to start eliminating potential sources of this leak.

Have you tried hosing the car down with someone inside watching for the first sign of a leak? Try a very directed spray into the cowl area being careful not to overspray to another area. If no leak, try another directed spray in another area (say, a sunroof - if you have one). You may have to make a temporary dam to keep the water confined to the area you're focusing on. The most likely place is the cowl area. It's where all the windshield runoff ends up. It's the same thing with a roof and downspout. The roof can leak, yes, but the bigger leak threat is the runoff of all that water collected by the roof than goes down the downspout to the ground beside the foundation. If the water is not run away from the foundation, it'll find its way into the basement of the house.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    How long has it been since you have done an oil change?
    Your Equinox might need one.
    If the oil change has been done...did you or the dealer/garage reset the system?
    http://gmprotectionplanwarranty.com/owners-manual/chevrolet/2005-Chevrolet-Equin- ox.pdf

Download your owner's manual from this link and read it from front to back. Page 3-30, 3.31 more specific to your problem . Sounds like you're describing the CHECK ENGINE light (the bottommost light just above the gas gauge). Try re-seating your gas cap. It could be one of those errant emmissions codes that pops up when the computer thinks the cap is not on right (I got this code ONCE on my '02 Impala a couple of years ago). If the light stays on, drop by an AutoZone parts store and ask them to read your computer - they do it for free. Or buy a reader and do it yourself ... readers cost ~$50 ... I think even Wal-Mart sells them now. Make sure it says that it can read OBD-II codes, although I doubt you'll be able to find one that DOESN'T. Every car built after 1995 uses the OBD-II system. Before that was OBD-I. To read the codes, you simply plug the reader into the socket/plug just under the lip of the car's dash (usually near your knee - looks like a parallel printer plug, sometimes it has a plastic cover over it). Then you press the READ button on the reader and it pulls the codes off the computer and into the reader. Then you press a scroll button on the reader and note the code numbers (there may be more than one). The code numbers give a clue as to what the problem is (sometimes they hit the problem right on the head). After noting the numbers, you press the ERASE button on the reader and it clears the computer's memory. If the problem has been fixed (or gone away), the dash light will stay off, otherwise the code will return and the light will come back on.
  • carstrykecarstryke Member Posts: 168
    edited March 2010
    When i shift it into reverse it is really loud noisey and grumbley .....however it works perfectly fine in drive/park ....any idea's on what this is
  • redheadinkyredheadinky Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had the occasion of driving on a rainy day, or through a car wash, and having your 2005 Chevy Equinox get "stuck"? It's like it's in neutral. When it dries out, you're ready to go, but not until it's dried out. I've also noticed that the day running lights also flicker then go out when it's raining, or in a car wash.

I would love some feedback please......I've got no idea!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Have you taken your vehicle to the dealership to have them look at the concern? What is the VIN on the vehicle, and the current mileage? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    edited April 2010
    Well after several days and tries at the dealership to fix the torrent of water comming in the cabin, the dealer asked when I had the windshield replaced because they had traced the issue to the windshield. I had to think long and hard and even had to call the insurance company to find out if I had ever had it replaced. turns out I did, IN 05, the dealer said that it was a aftermarket window that was installed improperly and had leaked. When I asked why did it take 5 years to do this there was a dumfounded look on thier face. So I got the windshield replaced and of course it stopped raining in the desert sooooo we shall see what happens when the monsoons come back this summer.
  • bungiegalbungiegal Member Posts: 1
    I'm rotating the tires on my 2007 Equinox with 16" wheels. Can't find the wheel torque setting in the manual or on the pillar. Anyone know what it is?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    100 lbs.
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    edited April 2010
    A) Run a water hose over it for 15 minutes and flood the seals. B) Take it to a drive through car wash. The pressure from the blowers that remove the excess water should send water inside to be sure it's sealed.
  • noxguynoxguy Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    Odometer light quit working, is it a bulb or electronic? What is the repair procedure? (2005 Equinox LT)
  • rdobardoba Member Posts: 1
    I really like my wife's 2010 Equinox. She has had it for over six months now and it has less than 3,000 miles on it. But... it has had to go into the shop twice for sway bar problems. Who ever heard of that??? I have had a multitude of cars over my 63 years and none have ever had sway bar problems. It sounds like the whole front end is coming apart when they go bad, pretty scary. Let's see how long these things last. We have gone through a left and a right in the past month. The dealership says they must have gotten some "bad" ones in. Reading other posts make me suspicious that Chevy has a problem here.
  • mapram1mapram1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm in the process of buying a 2006 Equinox LS for $11K and am researching Extended Warranty plans. Can't believe they're so expensive. Can just about afford the vehicle. Does anyone have a 2006 and, if so, what repairs have your experienced? Any company with a bad reputation? Who should I not deal with? I've heard of so many scams. What is a good warranty? Carchex said their warranties are bumper-to-bumper but don't know if I believed the rep. Awaiting his comparison plans. I want to be able to take it to my local mechanic - not the dealer - it's too far. Is it advisable to go with a GMPP? Have there been any recalls? So many questions. Will appreciate any information.
    Thank you.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Rdoba,
    I apologize that you have been experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me your contact information so I can talk to you further about this? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • commuter10commuter10 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2006 with about 36,000 miles. The alternator, a resistor that controls the daytime running lights, a chrome trim piece on the back, and the battery all have been replaced. I bought the GM extended warranty so I cannot help you with the aftermarket ones (it covered the resistor - all the rest were covered under the original warranty). I have been very happy with the car and the GM warranty service.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    This is want has been done on my 2005 Equinox...

4,484 miles: Machine both front discs (warped).
    Change the windshield washer pump (didn't spray).
    Air conditioning control lever stucked. (couldn't turn).
    Fix cruise control (always disengaging itself).
    5,232 miles: Had to change the air conditioning sensor (no cold air).
    6,513 miles: Changed the tailgate weather strip (pintch and thorn).
    11,627 miles: Machine both front discs (warped).
    12,942 miles: Change the tailgate weather strip (pinch and thorn).
    14,959 miles: Change alarm system module (alarm went off anytime).
    19,569 miles: Changed the o ring of the drive case sensor input. (oil leak). Had the brake pedal greased (squeaking pivots).
    Replace left rear hub bearing (humming sound).
    Alarm system warning light on (bad sensor).
    21,876 miles: Replace 2 front discs (warped) couldn't machine them.
    22,431 miles: Top brake light (top of tailgate)...rattle that never could be fixed.
    22,756 miles: Change the radio unit (C.D. was stuck in player).
    23,434 miles: Change the radio unit (couldn't insert C.D.'s).
    30,500 miles: Replace the Head Gasket.
    32,230 miles: Replace front brakes.
    33,819 miles: Replace gas cap. (wouldn't click when closing).

39,334 miles: BYE BYE 2005 EQUINOX LT
    ( 24 may 2005 --- 6 mai 2010)

HELLO 2010 HHR 2LT
    ( 6 mai 2010 with 4 miles on)
    After reading your tale of woe, laserblue, I guess it's just as well that my mechanic gave the thumbs down on the 2006 Equinox. Among other things, he found water under the spare in the cargo area. BUT I'd like to keep this post open...I still need to know of a reputable extended warranty company.

I really want an SUV/Crossover but can't find one in my price range with low mileage. I'll keep looking. Don't want to, but I may have to settle for an older model or a hatchback.

Thanks for your post too, commuter10.
    In my opinion the only good extended warranty company is the auto manufacturer you buy from, in this case a GM extended warranty. EVERYONE else will make you jump through the hoops trying to find any reason for not honnoring the warranty. If you do buy one buy one that lists what is NOT covered and covers everything else that is not listed.
    As you may have read, the deal for the Equinox fell thru; didn't pass my mechanic's inspection. I am now looking at a 2002 Hyundai Sante Fe w/decent mileage.

This is why I wanted to keep my post open; I need all the suggestions I can get when it comes to an extended warranty. I've read elsewhere what you said - about having everything listed that is EXCLUDED. I recently learned that my nephew used to sell extended warranties so when the time comes to purchase one, I'll have him review it.

Thanks for your reply.
  • jimhalpertjimhalpert Member Posts: 3
    The key in my 2006 Equinox (90,000) wouldn't go past the accessory position without jiggling it. Got worse after a couple days; had a key made at dealer ($70) to see if the problem was the key or the ignition. Key didn't work so drove car to mechanic. New ignition, another key, and labor to replace was another $650. Note: I searched internet and this is not an unusual problem with this car.
  • mzcarmonamzcarmona Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 LT, same issue w/ mine.One day I got in the car and notice the odometer light was no longer working on mine, Not sure what it is, but sure have had a lot of trouble w/ this car since we bought it in 2008. Pretty sure after doing so much research lately on problems w/ the 2006...there should be some recalls. Anyone have trouble with their check engine light coming on all the time? If it's not one thing it is another. I could understand if we did not stay up w/ the up keep....but we do. Want to get a new car soooooo bad, but I know it will not be :mad: a equinox ever again!
  • mzcarmonamzcarmona Member Posts: 2
    My always is.........ever since we bought it in 2008. Anyone else have this issue? :cry:
  • mig66mig66 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2006 Equinox AWD LT brand new. Early on I noticed the same problems with the rattling noise on the front drivers side, usually on a little rougher pavement. Didn't think too much of it. By 30,000 miles I realised it was the front shocks/struts. I had replaced the rear ones around 25,000 miles because one leaked and the walls of the shock were grinding. I replace the front and rear shocks, which are oil filled, with KYB gas shocks. Not to try and sell KYB but they are working great still at 68,000 miles. Just go with gas shock instead of the oil filled made in Brazil shocks that come with the car. Next problem, heater went out. A door or valve was not working and had to be replaced. Good thing the car was still under warranty other wise it would be a $1200 repair, $100 part and a full days labor to take the dash out and repair heater door/valve. Next problem, like many of you, ROTORS! First time was around the 25,000 miles and had them turned. Then around 32,000 warped again, had them replaced, all under warranty. Then around 45,000 miles new rotors are warped and because my car is no longer under warranty I replaced the rotors and pads myself with parts from Advance Auto Parts. I wanted to try a different brand other than GM eventhough the rotors that Chevy put on are BOSCH, which I thought would be good rotors and very well could be. Anyway, at 57,000 miles rotors are warped, yaaahh! Im bringing it in next monday to have the braking system looked at. They have on record my previous visits and I will let them know that I even switched brands of rotors and type of brake pads, OEM pads are ceramic so I tried semi-metallic but will go back to ceramic because the semi ones squealed a lot. My theory on the rotors are that they are undersized, along with the calipers, for this size of vehicle. Also my rims are the standard black rims with the gray hum caps, so my thinking is that the standard rims don't allow for as much air to cool off the front face of the rotors and pads because they have less openings than the aluminum mag wheels that are optional on the Equinox. Could also be a combination of the two. I'll follow up next Tuesday After I get the car back from the shop.