Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    If that K&N filter contaminates the MAF sensor GM will not cover it under warranty no matter what your dealer says, The hummers have had a lots of MAF contamination and GM will not warranty because of oil fouling caused by aftermarket filters. BTW more air lets more dirt in. :)
  • michianamichiana Member Posts: 8
    Noxwannabe,
    The bottom of your door is not that wide. It is simply that the wheel well cuts into the bottom of the door. It is very common.
    -Michigan/Indiana
  • worry2muchworry2much Member Posts: 14
    Just took my Nox in for its 3000 mile oil change. Still have the squeak that I took it in for though they said they fixed it. No answers (did I really expect an answer) on why the MPG on this vehicle does not go past 19 city or highway. Could not duplicate the "hard" shifting" between gears, etc. All the same stuff most of the other poster here at this site say. I still love this car. I was told that it was not broken in enough. Time will tell I guess!. Well...I am off...time to head out in my Chevy Equinox!
  • pdwpdw Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my new Equinox about 4 weeks ago and have 1100 miles on it now. (I'm a home health nurse and I'm on the road quite a bit.) I haven't had any problems at all! Mine was built in April 2005 and I too had read all of the bad reports on the board, but hopefully the later production vehicles had the bugs worked out. Of course, 1100 miles isn't a great amount of distance yet but I sure love it!!! Mine is an LT AWD - Black in color with all of the accessories. I have always wanted a black vehicle and I finally have one. It's alot of maintenance to keep it looking nice but it sure is pretty when it's clean! I had the front windows tinted to match the rears and it really looks nice! I know you'll love your new Equinox!
  • chica4chica4 Member Posts: 1
    Tell me about it, I am so disappointed I wish I would have read this website first, the seats SUCK!!! and the gas milaege at 18, and I got rid of my wonderful avelanch for this POS! I have had it for only 30 days and the dealer say too bad! And GM referes me to dealer and dealer to gm, what is the problem here? I am going to file a BBB auto complaint, also air conditioner stinks so bad after its been on for 20 minutes and terrible vibration when I pull into my drive way.....Does anyone have any advise on getting rid of this thing without loosing my money? :mad: :cry:
    My experience with 6 vehicles is the sticker window mileage is close, on a trip with 2 people and some bags I exceed the posted mileage by at least 2 MPG, this includes cars and trucks. My latest purchase 04 Malibu 3.5 V6 sticker states 23 - 32, I get on the highway 35, this is by actual gallons divided into miles, not DIC reading. I have no idea what is going on with the EQ but I would not be happy either.
    :confuse:
  • noxinvanoxinva Member Posts: 2
    I'm 5'7" and the only time the headrest is a problem is if I have a hard plastic clip holding my hair back...other than that it's been fine. I keep it all the way down, and have the seat back reclining a bit. When I test drove it, I asked the salesman about the headrest leaning (because of reading the posts here) and he said he thought they could be turned around...whatever! :)
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    The TSB for the coolant odor problem was revised 4/19/05 (04-06-02-010A). It states the VIN breakpoint for this problem is 56172604. Not sure if this is last one with old hoses or first one with new hoses. My VIN ends with 85413 with a April 05 build date. Have not had the odor problem.
    I too own an Equinox that was built in April 05. I bought mine about 4 weeks ago and have put on about 1100 miles - I haven't had any problems at all! I am enjoying it!
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    From reviews I've read on combined mpg:

Equinox: 20mpg
    Santa Fe: 18mpg
    Murano: 19mpg
    RX330: 18mpg
    Honda CRV: 20mpg
    Mercedes ML350: 18mpg
    Ford Escape: 18mpg
    Subaru Forester: 20mpg
  • tarmentarmen Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the transmission shifting tip. I too have noticed this when going down a steep hill. The TSB is 05-07-30-014, Posted: Wed, Jun 29, 2005, Issued: Mon, May 9, 2005.
    You can see it at:
    http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-Motors/1115622000000_1120028400000_05-07-30-014/index.h- tml

Later
  • gaspoor1gaspoor1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I've had the 2005 Equinox bought new 11/04. It currently has 6,000 miles.The main problem has been the mileage/shift problems noted throughout this column, I get 15.3 combined, which is Suburban type mileage :surprise: . I'm taking it back to the dealer with the TSB 05-07-30-014 which will hopefully correct both the tranny, and the mileage problems, but this will be the second time it has been reprogrammed. However, I have another problem, a rumbling sound during hard breaking. I've seen a lot of squeaking problems noted related to the struts, but this does not seem to apply. Mine's more of a warped rotor type of rumble, yet you don't get it breaking slowly on flat roads. I also notice a "pinging" noise which I can't quite place, might be engine or it may be the fan when the A/c's on. Any help with this?
    I have an 05 Equinox and an 04 Malibu Maxx. I have had the brake rumble problem on the Maxx two times now. It only happens when braking from highway/interstate speeds. The problem is caused by warped rotors.

The owners manuals for both cars specifically states that lug nuts must be properly torqued to spec when rotating tires to prevent brake pulsation. GM has also issued a 12 page TSB on Brake Warranty Service and Procedures (00-05-22-002E). It has a whole section on brake pulsation issues and how they are caused by Lateral Run Out which is induced by improperly torquing the lug nuts. The LRO causes the brake pads to wear the rotors unevenly. That is why the pulsation does not show up until after 3-10K miles after a wheel service event.

On the Maxx the rumble began about 3K miles after the first time the dealer rotated the tires. They just turned the front rotors and it fixed the problem. However, 3K miles after the 2nd time they rotated the tires the rumble came back again. Will be taking it in next week for service (and 3rd tire rotation). Will ask SA how they tighten lug nuts and hope this time they replace the rotors. They can't keep turning them. If they go below minimum thickness while under warranty, they must replace them.

The Equinox brakes are OK so far, only have 1300 miles and tires have not been rotated yet. A lot of people on Malibu forums have said GM/Chevy just uses cheap rotors and only true fix is to replace with better aftermarket rotors. If I can get the dealer to replace the rotors, I will buy a torque wrench and check it after they rotate them.

On Equinox mileage, we've been getting no better than 19 for highway use. It's only a month old and was built in April 04. I too will have TCM reprogrammed per TSB when it goes in for first service. The shift quality now is quite poor.

Let us know if mileage improve after your TCM is updated.
  • jp50jp50 Member Posts: 2
    Got my Equinox on June 11. Now have 1900miles on it, no odor. HOWEVER, the gas mileage is horrible. I'm getting 15/16 mpg around town and the best I've gotten on a highway trip was 21mpg (that was straight driving at 65 mph). I also noticed some weird shifting on the road trip, but haven't noticed it again.
    Also, can't get used to the headrest, they are totally uncomfortable.
    Thanks for the information on the brake rumble. The Equinox hasn't had the tires rotated yet, (just turned 6,000 miles) I also noted the rumble seems louder in hot weather. Last week when it hit the 90's here, every time I applied the brakes at any speed I got the rumble. Now, it's cooler again and the rumble is barely evident when braking from high speeds. Doesn't seem like rotors when it's not consistent, but it's definitely weird.
  • lilred1lilred1 Member Posts: 1
    I don't have a strut problem but i do have a lot of other problems. i bought my equinox at the end of march in NC. i am currently in Grand Forks, ND. i had the smell problem with mine and they had to drain all the fluids out and change all the hoses. this is also my 3rd time taking it in for the same problem within the transmission. the first time in they drove it and it was acting up, then they turned it off and when they started it back up it was acting normal. they ran a bunch of tests on it and couldnt find anything wrong with it. i got it back and it started acting up again. this time they updated the transmission chip or something like that and said they fixed it. i went and picked it up and drove 5 minutes down the road and it started acting up again. i took it right back in. that is when they discovered the smell problem and they fixed it. they ordered a new catelyitic converter to see if that will fix the transmission slipping problem. it should be ready by tommorow. i will keep you updated.they also found a problem with the seal around the door and they fixed it.if it is not right this time i am doing the lemon law. :mad: :lemon: :(
    This rattle snake noise, is your A/C unit on and the fan on the 3rd setting? If so, it's the fan motor, took mine in for this problem. Sounded like engine ping from low octane gas, but I had a friend listen at the cowling of the blower while I drove and she thought it was coming from the fan. Then turned off the A/C switch and the noise stopped. Only does it when the fan is in the 3rd position. There is a new TSB out on the tranny shifting and as of June 05 all production cars have had the downshift mode when going down a hill eliminated. Brake rumble stinks! I think it's a similar problem to the Malibu Maxx problems (see those discussion boxes). Real fix would probably be after market rotors.
  • needinghelpneedinghelp Member Posts: 2
    Our new 2005 Equinox is having a strange problem. Whenever we fill up with gas, within a mile or two it starts to buck, will hardly run and the check engine light come on. After running that way for a couple of miles, it quits and then doesn't do it again until the next time we fill up with gas. We have had it back to the dealer twice. They say it's dirty injectors. They clean them and the last time they also changed the spark plugs. The mechanics say it can't possibly be anything to do with filling up with gas, but it has happened the last 5 times we have filled it up. We asked them to fill it up and take it for a test drive, but they didn't do it since they said it couldn't be related to the problem. I know this is a strange problem, but had anyone had anything similar or have a suggestion on what to do next?
    My guess is fuel is getting into the cannister and when the purge turns on which is when you are going down the road it floods the engine. You have a light what's the code, misfire probably. :)
  • ryan10ryan10 Member Posts: 3
    Did your gas mileage improve after the transmission was reprogrammed?
  • needinghelpneedinghelp Member Posts: 2
    You're exactly right, misfire is the only code they're getting. Our local mechanic just suggested the same scenario that you did, but we haven't asked the mechanics at the dealer about it yet. They don't seem to pay much attention to what we tell them. My husband is concerned about damage to the engine, if this is what is happening. Any idea if this problem could have caused problems already, that we might not find out about until later down the road? Thanks for you input. At least have a possibility to investigate.
    The only part that may be comprised is the converter if this keeps happening long enough, but just a guess , lot of variables, just keep it in mind. :)
  • benebene Member Posts: 2
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to you! Since I wrote the email requesting help I took action! The dealership said the headrests don't come out..I said they have to come out because someone put them in! I made enough noise so that he sent a mechanic out to my car who DID turn the headrest around.It was hard to get out and neede much coaxing. I am thrilled beyond words to be able to enjoy my new Equinox because I just love the car! Hope you can do the same..
  • monzmommonzmom Member Posts: 3
    We may have had the same problem with the brakes/steering. We bought our 05 Nox in August 05 and now have ~24,500 miles on the car. About 4k miles ago, we started to notice that the car would start vibrating as you hit the brakes at a high speed (i.e., at freeway speeds trying to slow down to take an exit). The front end would vibrate until you released the brakes. We took the car in for the 25K mile service and had the dealership look at the brakes. The front rotors were warped. The techician's report said that the rear brakes were "misaligned" causing execessive heat on the front brakes causing the rotors to warp. They adjusted the rear brakes and machined the front rotors and the vibration has stopped. I'm hoping the problem doesn't re-occur. But from what I'm reading, I'm not all that hopeful. Good luck!
    Yes it did!! For 2 whole days it ran great, and I didn't watch the gas gauge drop like a lead ballon. Sadly though, this transmission has a mind of its own (HAL 9000?) after 2 days, it again has returned to the hill descent gear feature and the erratic shift pattern. I should note that this was the second reprogramming from a second dealer. I will try once more and then file under the lemon law. For all those who don't know, June of 2005 production Equinox cars are leaving the factory WITHOUT the hill descent program.Also, from what I'm reading people who own the Equinox seem to have much better gas mileage if they bought their vehicle in 2005 instead of 2004 (generally speaking based on the conversations I've read on this board).
    My NOX was built 04/05, purchased 6/4/05, has the pre June 05 TCM calibration and barely get 18 mpg under mostly highway driving. I know this is better than what you are getting, but still way under the 25 mpg highway on the sticker. I too think the shift quality is horrible and is the main reason for the poor gas mileage
    (5th gear is not an overdrive also contributes to poor gas mileage). Upshifts are delayed. It can't make up its mind to upshift. The RPMs flare up just before the shift. It also won't go into 5th unless you remove foot from gas above 40mpg.

I noted in TSB 05-07-30-014 that after reprogram, they must clear the transmission adapts and perform the transmission adaptive learn procedure. Perhaps they did not do this on yours.

An earlier TSB 04-07-30-031 issued July 2004, has a lot of info on this transmission including the adaptive learn procedure. It requires a lot of driving under various conditions to retrain the transmission. Each maneuver must be done 5 or 10 time (sort of like a transaxle boot camp). I have my doubts that any dealer would take the time to do this before returning the vehicle. You could at least determine if they drove your Nox if you noted the odometer reading when you dropped if off and picked it up. This should be on your invoice, but I always note this myself as they don't always properly record the mileage each time.

The 06/04 TSB says if the entire learn procedure is not done, "the customer may experience a less than desired or uncharacteristic shift quality for that certain shift point until the adaptive values for that shift are adapted by the TCM". If they did not clear the adapts at all, I'm guessing the trans would behave as it did before. Not sure if you can clear the adapts yourself by disconnecting the battery for a period of time. The TSB says the scan tool is needed.

Good Luck and let us know how the 3rd time works out.
  • cschneider3cschneider3 Member Posts: 39
    I am inquiring more about the problem you were having with your Air Conditioner automatically activating itself. My Equinox was made 11/04. I am currently experiencing the AC compressor engaging when the control is set to vent your feet. I do not turn on the AC, but you can hear the compressor kick in when you switch it from your face, face and feet, to feet only. If you turn the AC on, while having it on your feet the AC continues to run. I took my Equinox into the dealer and the mechanic is stumped. Is this the kind of problem you were experiencing? What did they do to fix it?

Any help with this issue is much appreciated!
    I'm just a curious owner. Are you saying you hear the compressor running when the HVAC system is completely turned off (middle knob for fan speed set to zero)? If so, I agree this is not correct.

If you have the blower fan turned on to any speed (middle knob not on zero), then the A/C compressor is only controlled by the A/C button (snow flake) when the right mode knob is set to vent, bi-level, or floor. If the indicator light above the snow flake button is on, the compressor will run in vent, bi-level or floor mode. If you don't want the compressor to run you have to push the snow flake button to turn off the indicator light. It was not clear from your explanation if you were turning the compressor on and off using the snow flake button.

If you have the right knob set to defrost/defog mode with the fan on, the system forces the compressor to turn on and you can't turn it off (the light above snow flake button will go on if it was off). You also can't select recirculate mode when right knob is set to defrost/defog mode.

When you go back to vent, bi-level or floor mode from defrost/defog, the system remembers your last setting for the A/C and Recirculate buttons.

I'll have to check my Equinox later (Apr05 build), to see if compressor runs when fan is off. If it does, and the light above the snow flake is on when the fan is off, then perhaps you have to push the snowflake button and turn off the light whenever you turn off the blower fan.

I know on some prior cars I have owned the A/C compressor automatically turns on and off based on your mode selection, there is no separate button for the compressor.
  • bmoebmoe Member Posts: 2
    I will be taking my nox back in for service for the third time tonight in less than a month. It has 3,000 miles on it and it keeps on giving a PO449 error. I am being told that cobwebs(this is not a joke) are in the EVAPE system, they told me that chevy is aware of the problem and there have been many cars with the smae problem. They say the spiders got into the system before they left the assem line. Anyone else have this issue??????
  • fromcincyfromcincy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Equinox and I am getting ready to take it back for the 3rd time now for the check engine light. They offer no ideas what the problen is. Thank you for the heads-up.
  • fergiefergie Member Posts: 6
    Its not just yours, mine has been in the shop 5 times and still no fix thank god the service director drove it and felt it but still they can duplicate it, we have a lemon law suit going on..
  • fromcincyfromcincy Member Posts: 2
    I wondered, what is the month/year production of your Equinox. Maybe that is the same problem as mine. My dealer is telling me that they need a special tool to test mine and the tool is on back order and not available until August 22nd. They are trying to locate another dealer who has one. Supposely this was not an Essential tool needed by the mechanics to repair the cars. My dealerislooking into why it would be doing this but told me in the meantime it won't hurt it to drive it.
  • fergiefergie Member Posts: 6
    I do have this problem along with other problems, and it was in the shop today for that reason which the service dept say that there is no fix at this time GM is working on it HAHA whatever :mad:
  • bmoebmoe Member Posts: 2
    they are able to test it no problem....I just can't believe the story about the cobwebs....I called 5 other dealerships, and none of them heard anything about it. The told me Chevy had a service bulletin out on it....I asked to see it, when they showed it to me, it did reference the error message, but they were saying it was due to the gas cap. I wonder if Peter Parker built my nox......
  • noxguynoxguy Member Posts: 8
    Does any one know how to remove the cross bars on the Equinox? I may need to modify the bars for carrying my canoe.

Thanxs...
  • waitinfor06ionwaitinfor06ion Member Posts: 32
    If I remember correctly, there's a hang tag in English and French. The bars should have end-cap lift levers to "unlock" the cross bars; according to the tag.

Which reminds me; I had decided to remove mine and put them in my "trunk" for safe-keeping since there are no garages or car-ports here. But then I went to sleep and forgot :blush:

J K F

P. S.: Welcome to Town Hall Meeting. jkf
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    I use only "Top Tier Gas" in my newer vehicles.
    At my location, little to no difference in price.

Poor grade gasoline effects your emissions and will cause your Check Engine Light to come on.
    This is true with all newer vehicles, foreign and domestic, due to stricter emission standards.
    Poor gas will also cause deposits and clog fuel injectors.
    Check out this link for high quality Gasoline Retailers:

http://www.toptiergas.com

If your Check Engine Light comes on, try a different brand of gas. It may take up to 150 miles before the light resets.(An EPA thing!)
  • ericb8276ericb8276 Member Posts: 7
    Hello all. I was reading/enjoying many of your posts and have decided to join the family of NOX posters and probably soon to be a NOX owner. I must tell you, I am a little concerned with some of the TSB's as well as the poor gas mileage. My other issue is , do I wait for the 2006? (May not have a choice). I am curious ..does anyone know if they made any changes between the two years?

Thanks,
    Eric B
    I purchased my Equinox in June 2005 (it was assembled in April 2005). I presently have 2400 miles on it and I have had no problems! I love driving it and my gas mileage has been about 19-20 (combination highway and city.) I am a Home Health nurse so I'm on the road quite a bit. I'm happy with my decision to buy the vehicle. I too have read many of the postings on this site - both good and bad, Any new vehicle that is released is going to have glitches - some of the most popular makes have had far more problems than the Equinox has had. I think the later the vehicles were assembled in 2005 many issues had been worked out. I wasn't expecting the gas mileage results of a Honda Accord or other small car. It's a mid sized SUV so 19-20 MPG is acceptable! There is only very minor changes in the 2006 model - the body style is the same and they added an indicator light for the heated seats. (That would be nice - as mine has no light and you're not aware if the seat is on, except for the heat!) There are pretty substantial savings in buying a 2005 right now. The employee discount incentive is still being offered until the end of the month. I bought a fully loaded model for thousands less than a friend paid when she bought hers in March. Good luck and enjoy! ---- Pam
    Pam, thank you for the added insight. I have pretty much made up my mind to purchase a NOX however, there are almost no 2005 models left in my area. Second, the employee discount is just another marketing ploy unless you outright purchase the vehicle. I plan to lease it, therefore, the price drop is negligible since the lease rate went up. The price is actually more expensive with the EPP than it was before when lease rates were ate 1.9/2.9! Anyhow, I am going to wait for the 2006 model to come up (I think August or September) and wait for another lease promo. If anyone knows of a site where I can get detailed info on the changes to 2006 models, I would be thankful. I am wondering if they "fixed" the electronic steering and the tranny lock-in at 60mph going downhill.
    Thanks all,
    E
    Well, here's an update on the tranny, after 2 resets it is finally shifting like a real transmission should! 1st tank of gas after the fix averaged only 16.14 mpg, but part of the tank was used while tranny wasn't shifting properly and some was used in the "retraining" process under the TSB. Already see a difference in the next tankful. Got 86 miles on 1st quarter tank, usually get 65, will update when I have used several tankfuls, but car is much smoother, might even start to like it again, thankful I leased though just in case! ;)
    I just looked on the nhtsa web site and found a tsb for the odor issues. I dont recall anyone mentioning the tsb so I am posting what I found for all those interested.

Make : CHEVROLET Model : EQUINOX Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Service Bulletin Num : 3169 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2004
    NHTSA Item Number: 10010166
    Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    Summary:
    FOUL ODOR FROM HVAC AND/ OR ENGINE COOLANT. *TC
    Check to Request Research. Submit below.
    :blush:mumble-grumble. Sorry, had my foot in my mouth:blush:

Hey, noxguy, did you ever get your Equinox cross bars off?

Now that the Midwest Heat Wave has abated a few degrees, I went out to do what I said I was going to do in the last post to you.

;)I can't get the cross bars off without using a jumbo slotted screwdriver or a battery-operated saber saw to open the rail's tracks. And then arc-welding to military specifications the tracks back together in one piece;)

J K F
    At purchase, I asked my sales guy about the tranny TSB. He said something to the effect of it's not a problem.

Congrats on the better mpg in your vehicle:)

J K F
    Well it looks like I am going to make the trip to NOXville! :) I am waiting for the lease rates to drop and get the 2006 or possibly find a 2005 with employee discount and interst rate of 6.25. Who knows, I may be the first one in this newsgroup with a 2006! Will keep everyone posted! :)

Eric
  • noxguynoxguy Member Posts: 8
    No never got them off, I built a rack that sits on top of the factory one. Too bad they are more decoration than function.
  • jimnoxjimnox Member Posts: 2
    We have had our 2005 NOX since October, 2004. Since the summer heat has hit in Houston the driver's leather seat sticks to the armrest. This only happens when the seat is left in the forward position and the car is left to cook in the sun. The plastic trim on the armrest has actually stuck to the upright side of the seat so that when you open the door the trim piece is pulled off. The dealer is replacing the trim piece but this sound more like a design problem.
    Anyone else having this problem?
  • tis1tis1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2005 Equinox AWD LS it has been in the dealership three times for a total of 15 days and counting and it's obvious they have no idea what is wrong.

The problem is intermittant. Each time the engine will not turn over even though the battery is fine (lights, CD/radio, wipers, etc function). Occasionally after multiple attempts turning the key the engine will start (twice required towed). Each time after this occurs and the engine does start about 5 minutes into drive all engine alarms and lights come on, a/c quits, and all indicators on dash go to zero (rpm, mph, fuel, battery and odomoter quits adding miles). Despite all of this, the engine continues to run. Twice the dealership told me 'fuse connections were loose and were reconnected' and most recently they replaced the starter switch. Needless to say the problem repeated itself last weekend and they have no idea what is wrong.

Does anyone have any insight? Thanks.
  • luvmyequinoxluvmyequinox Member Posts: 12
    I have the answer to your problem. Tell them you want a new vehicle! Demand it. If th vehicle has been in the shop for the same problem at least three times, they are obligated to replace the vehicle. Called the lemon law. Get out of your problem while you still can.
  • czipperczipper Member Posts: 2
    I complained of this back in February (#283) and have now gone to 10,000 Miles, and it is summer (no longer cold weather) and none of these have alleviated the mpg problem. I havent noticed any extremely unusual shifting, so I hesitate to have the transmission reprogrammed to solve the mileage problem. Has anyone noticed a significant improvement after going through this transmission reprogram?