Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wcutbushwcutbush Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2005 nox in August 2004. This spring I noticed a paint bubble. The dealer did repair it without quibble but now I see lots of little rust dots on the car. I wonder if the whole paint job is crummy. I'll be watching. Anyone else?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try washing with a clay bar and see if that helps the rust spots. Check out Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair or Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) for details -- (if you aren't familiar with clay bars, they remove paint impurities; look for them at autoparts stores in the wax section for ~$10 to $15 USD).

Steve, Host
  • dowopdowop Member Posts: 25
    Update on noise.
    Took it to the dealer today.
    They said it was the Sruts making the noise in the front.
    The differential is making the noise in the back.
    They said the parts will take a couple of days to get in.
    My question is should this be coverd under warranty?
    I did not ask while I was at the dealer.
  • bossenoxbossenox Member Posts: 4
    hey - if you read a little further back - I've been having the same issue. I took it into the dealer - they replaced the struts - it didn't help - went back again - replaced the suspension (apparently) - it helped - but about 3-5 months later - it came up AGAIN - apparently there is NO real fix - but this XXX amount of times im bringing it in - im taking it to a higher level. It is NOW covered under warrenty - but when the warranty is up - then WHAT??? - im' not willing to pay every 3-5 months....
    i'll let everyone know what happens :confuse:
    The dealer is going to replace the front stabilizers instead of the struts.
    They are also going to replace the differential tomorrow.
    The service department at my dealer has been great.
    My warranty is up in 11 months.
    I dont want to shell out $1800.00 for a extended warranty.
    I really like the Equinox concept.
    But I am concerned with the problems I have had.
    I am thinking about trading for a Malibu Max.
  • bossenoxbossenox Member Posts: 4
    i would love to know if it works because im taking in the truck next week
    keep me posted
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    Funny you should say that...we had a Maxx and got an Equinox.

We liked the Maxx a lot, but it was not without it's little hiccups...

While we never had any suspension work done, I had noticed that the front suspension had become increasingly more noisy as time wore on. Not so much in the turning phase, but definitely more rattling on bumps or rougher road surfaces.

We also had some button/lever issues...paint comming off the radio power on/volume button, the hood release lever comming off completely and the rear passenger seat level snapped in half one day (all small warranty stuff).

The skylight surround in the back is actually pretty flimsy (was on the 2004, it may be better now) and the screens that covered the skylights were easily retracted by accident (road bumps). The surround on ours had to be replaced because one of the clips that held it in place broke.

I know it sounds like I am beating on the Maxx, but we really did like it. We got decent MPG with it (20 in almost all stop and go type city driving and 30 on a trip to and from Hilton Head in 2005 - that's 30 MPG over 1400 miles...pretty damn good for a v6!!!)

We recently went with the Nox because of good rebates and my wife loved how they looked/drove. She really wanted one when we got the Maxx. So far ours has been good, but it's WAY too early to say how it will end up...we have only had it a week!
    The sad part is that besides the previously mentione repairs I have had is the Dealer just replaced all 4 wheels because the clear coat was peeling off.
    I am just worried that once my warranty is out the problems that were corrected will reappear.
    I would really like to know if anyone has had 40-50,000 miles with out to many problems.
    I have read the Malibu Maxx is pretty trouble free with quite a few miles on them.
    I see the Horsepower has gone up for 2007 to 217.
    I dont think that would be a reason not to buy a 2006.
    I am also thinking about going back to a Montecarlo.
    I had 4 off them that I put about 50,000 miles on each with out hardly any problems.
    The gas mileage on the last one a 2001 was a lot better than my Knox.
    I forgot to mention that the antifreeze looks like mud.
    But I dont have any odor.
  • kayrah123kayrah123 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know what is involved with a Buyback from GM? Im trying to figure out what to do with this useless vehicle.
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    I have never heard of Clear Coat peeling off wheels of a new vehicle unless a wrong wheel cleaner was used?

I do know if you use one of those spray on "Wheel Cleaners" (that will release brake dust on contact) on the WRONG type of wheel composition it will "release" the Clear Coat on wheels! or other interesting problems.
    So be careful what cleaner you use to clean your nice wheels!

Water with a little "Mr. Clean", or bring out "Mrs. Clean", which works for me! ;)
  • dynadyna Member Posts: 4
    We have 45,000 miles on our 05 Nox & the only issues we have had were the cd player decided to stop working & was replaced under warranty & we were getting a clunking in the rear end while doing tight turns. The "clutch pack" at least thats what the dealer called it in the rear end was replaced along with some new module that controls the awd & its all good. Only took 1 day for that fix.

Gas mileage is finally goin up also after 40K+ miles. Was always stuck at 18-19 city & maybe 20-21 highway on a good day. Now its up to 22 or so city & about 23-24 highway.
    I never used any wheel cleaner.
    I usually wash the whole vehicle with Murphy`s
    oil soap.
    Anyway,I traded it in on a Malibu Maxx.
    In response to the other post.
    The best gas mileage I ever got in the relatively long go & few stops was 17mpg.
    I am 60yrs old & I dont have a lead foot.
  • oncology57oncology57 Member Posts: 1
    I am driving my fleet vehicle a 2005 Chevy Equinox. My biggest complaint is that the air conditioner quits emitting cold air after driving for 2 hours. Sometimes I am able to get the air started again by toggling the on/off button. Any advice is appreciated. Just spent 4 days in the shop with new solution. Thanks.
  • buddy443buddy443 Member Posts: 6
    Last December I bought a 2006 Pontiac Torrent, and have been experiencing the same "thumping" noises you described. (Since the Torrent is on an Equinox Platform, the similarities caught my eye). The dealer has been unable to hear the problem, even though they have had it for days at a time. They can not/will not fix the problem. Was there a solution found for your problem with the thumping???
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    My 2005 Equinox's air conditioner did the same thing as yours last year on my summer vacation. The dealer change something in the systems compressor and told me to try it out. The only problem, I don't take my truck to often except on my summer vacation. I'll try it out this year. In city driving and short trips no problems but on a long drive, no cool air at all and the temperature knob (hot cold) can't turn all the way. They told me it could be caused by ice formation on the system. Go figure. What a trip, Ottawa, Ontario to Daytona Beach, Florida (1450 milles one way) in August with no air. Nice.
    What surprised me is when we stopped for 1 hour (restaurants) everything became normal for a while and then no cool air again.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Murphy's Oil soap on a car? Yikes!!!!! Why not go to walmart and get a cheap bottle of car wash soap? It will be much better for your car's paint.

No where on their site does it say this product is safe for car finishes.
  • kentuckybobkentuckybob Member Posts: 6
    I have a '06 nox with 5,500 miles on it that has a clicking sound at slow speed. Sounds just like a rock in a tire. I have had it to the dealer three times. First time they adjusted the parking brake. Second time they turned both rear drums. Now they say its the heat shield around the muffler. What option do I have to take this problem higher??? When I ask why we didn't hear this noise they said they didn't know.
    I'd like to know also.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    It does sounds like it's freezing up. Becoming normal after sitting for an hour and working fine for a minute allowed it to thaw out a little, and then quickly froze back up. I don't think it's supposed to free up unless it's low on freon, and if it's low that means there's a leak, or maybe they just didn't put enough in from the factory.
    Go and read my reply to "chev31" on Equinox clingking sound.
    It's # 822.

Some call it clingking, thumping, bumping etc...
    It's like you said tree four times and it goes away.

I panic at first when I heard that sound and it still does it and it's been doing it for over a
    year now. You're not the only one.
    You'll get use to it. It's normal.
    Ok its normal?? Mind didn't do that until about 500 miles ago. If its normal what causes it?? Thanks, Bobby
    I have owned 50+ cars (the majority new). About a third of them were GM. This has not happened with any other vehicle. Can you explain WHY you think it is normal, or what is causing it???
    Like I was saying in my reply # 822 (if you guys went to take a look at it)? It's the EVAP "Vent Selonoid" doing a emission diagnosis. Sometimes it needs to do it and sometimes it don't. Why? I don't know. Listen, I guess we're in electronic age now. I'm like you, I drive the truck, I don't build them but I know someone who works at "cami" and that's what he was telling me. I've always had G.M. vehicule myself since 1967, not 50 but... and it's the only one that's been doing this to.
    I guess we're in a new century now, we'll have to get used to modern changes in our automobiles. Hey! Before we didn't even have remote starters, remote door locks, alarms ect...
    Electronics and weird gadgets are in.
    I don't know why it does that or how but it's there for some reason. I'm full of questions about this thing myself but one thing's for sure... It's normal.

My worse question. Why G.M. did this only on Equinox?
    Actually our problem is with a Pontiac Torrent, which we understand use an Equinox platform. We have had our Torrent to the dealer, and they claim they are at a loss as to why, and they can not get it to make the same noise. The previous comments regarding the Equinox make it clear that it is not just something that happens to our particular vehicle.
    Our concern is in that the dealer is at a loss to explain WHY it may be normal, particularly if what you told us is true.
    You'd think that they would have knowledge of similarities of the GM problems, and the causes. If they would just say WHAT causes it instead of the attitude of "nothing we can do 'cause it won't make the noise for us" .
    Thanks for the information and insight about the annoying problem.
    I'm with you,it's annoying alright. When I purchased my Equinox in april 2005 and the first time I heard that sound I went directly to my dealer and the same "nothing we can do cause... happened to me to. The last time it made it was about 3 weeks ago ( 526 milles ) and it never did it since. It might do it tommorow morning, God knows. It's as weird as that. My friend at Cami says they do it at different intervals. But the question is always the same. WHY? And nobody seem to give a logic explanation except for "It's the Vent Selonoid (whatever that is?) doing a emission diagnosis. It seems like a foreign language to me. But again, yes you're right, it is annoying.
    I picked up my EQ from the dealer on Friday (theyve had it for 5 weeks- replaced the computer, fuel tank, electrical) and I found out the cruise control now doesnt work. 4 days later, the check engine light comes back on! I requested a buyback, which they told me they could do if the light came back on... But only the factory rep can authorize it. Now, the rep is sending someone from the factory out to my tiny little town to work on my car. The good news-- GM has no idea when the tech will be here- it could be today, it could be 2 weeks from now. IM STILL STUCK WITH A JUNK CAR.
  • shallwechatshallwechat Member Posts: 20
    i purchased my nox june 29, 2006. been in shop 3 times, 4th time tomorrow. when i hit a bump, it sounds like rear is falling off at times. sometimes it just thumps. they reinsulated gas tank and changed shocks. i have 816 miles on this thing. dealer will be keeping for 2 days and give me a rental to reevaluate tomorrow. :lemon:

my gas mileage started at 17.9, then 16.3, then 15.75 and now 14.3. dealer says i need to drive it 3000 miles first but i think that is bull. i will complain AGAIN about it tomorrow.

am looking at lemon law before my thump drives me mad!
    HOW DID YOU GO ABOUT REQUESTING A BUYBACK? WHAT DOES THIS ENTAIL? I CONTACTED LEMON LAW LAWYER BUT I WOULD RATHER TRY THEM FIRST. THE DEALER HAS GONE OUT OF THEIR WAY TO TRY AND HELP ME. GREAT SERVICE BUT THEY JUST CAN'T FIX IT.

i purchased my nox june 29, 2006. been in shop 3 times, 4th time tomorrow. when i hit a bump, it sounds like rear is falling off at times. sometimes it just thumps. they reinsulated gas tank and changed shocks. i have 816 miles on this thing. dealer will be keeping for 2 days and give me a rental to reevaluate tomorrow.

my gas mileage started at 17.9, then 16.3, then 15.75 and now 14.3. dealer says i need to drive it 3000 miles first but i think that is bull. i will complain AGAIN about it tomorrow.

am looking at lemon law before my thump drives me mad!
  • wyclef78wyclef78 Member Posts: 1
    So I am new to this discussion and it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one having problems. My biggest concern with my 2006 NOX, is the rattling I am getting from either my passenger side door or glove box. I've had it at the dealer twice and they apparently can't hear anything. So either I have bionic hearing or they have ears like my grandma. They fixed the latch on my door the first time. "THAT DIDN'T WORK." Round 2, loose bolts in the glove box, "WRONG AGAIN". Good thing they are not on the bomb squad. I am to the point where I want to kick my door out. Sometimes it vibrates, sometimes times it rattles, and other times it has a clicking sound. Can anyone help me? Yeah I have the clunk, clunk, clunk to, but that only happens once a day.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Good thing they are not on the bomb squad.

Are these the guys you're talking about?

tidester, host
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    FWIW: perhaps you could ride in different seats while someone else drives. often sound localization can be tricky with all the material and design of the cabin. this would also allow you to move about some while you hear the sound so you can get a fix.
    I had a rattling sound to coming from the passenger door or glove box. My wife as the passenger said that the sound did not come from the door nor the glove box, but to me in the drivers seat I was sure it was coming for there.
    One day I had to move my backseat forward and I notice that the sound was gone. I drove in every holes I could find and the noise is completely gone. Try to move your back seat forward and back. Never know. Keep me in touch.
    We have a rattle also. Took me a while to figure where it was coming from. It is coming from the inside sunroof cover. Close it and the noise goes away....open and it returns.
  • alex00200alex00200 Member Posts: 1
    I have 05 Equinox AWD.
    This week I experienced several times sudden lost of speed while driving.
    When this happens, I could feel car sudden brief stop also I looked at the gage and the speed odometer dropped to zero and then goes back to normal.

Has anyone experience this? appreciate any advice.
    My guess is the computer is going bad. I had a 1500 Chevy truck that did the same thing a few years ago.
  • gelmangelman Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an Equinox and am noticing the same noise upon acceleration. Like a rattlesnake hissing. I thought it might be some enigine pinging. I'm about to bring it in for its first servicing. Have you found out what it is? Thanks S.G.
    IS THE NOISE IN THE REAR LIKE ON MY EQUINOX. THE DEALER WAS UNABLE TO FIX ON THE FOURTH TIME SO I HAVE FILED LEMON LAW. WE SHALL SEE.

THE DEALER HAS GONE OUT OF THEIR WAY TO GIVE ME GREAT SERVICE BUT JUST CAN'T SEEM TO PINPOINT IT. MY GAS MILEAGE IS "UP" TO 15.3 MPG. WHIPPEEE! HHHMMM!
  • gmastrangelogmastrangelo Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I purchased an 05 Equinox in September and have had some problems with it. I have brought it to the dealer three times and next week will be the fourth for the same problem. I have shifting and "jumping" problems every so often. When I decelerate in traffic or city driving I feel the car jump and it feels like I was rear-ended and a loud banging accompanies it. Then the car shifts back to normal. The same thing happens when I accelerate from a stop while driving. I had the transmission re-programmed the first time, the tech could find nothing wrong the second time, they replaced a speed sensor the third, and now I am waiting to find out what is wrong the fourth. I ham upset because I have had no problems with the car other than the occasional transmission problems. I am frustrated and finally called chevy this morning. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • dantay112dantay112 Member Posts: 7
    I was hearing a winding like noise from my tires. Come to find out that with only 9000 I had the lf wheel bearing go in my equinox. Got the vehicle back and now my check engine light is on. Someone told me that it may come on if I need an oil change??? The other thing is I swear to god that something is wrong with the cruise control. When it is set it seems like it accel. and dec. when you are it's running down the road on it's own....not because I am going up or down a hill, I'm on flat land.
  • salesrep4salesrep4 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2005 LT AWD with 25K and recently I started hearing a whine from the rear end area starting at 38 /40mph. Let up on the gas or shift into neutral and it stops. Dealer has informed me that they need the car for 1 week or so as they are replacing the entire differential assembly. I wonder what that will cost GM?? In the mean time they gave me a loaner to drive. At least that car gets 35+ mpg. Haven't seen that in awhile.

This is just one of many issues with this car. Stinky coolant, noisey brake calipers, stabilizer bars in front and last but not least 2 yes 2 complete sterring column assemblies.

I swapped out the Bridgestone tires for Goodyear Fortera's and what a difference it made in handling, ride and traction in snow and rain.

Overall I give this car a 2-3 rating, but it sure get's the looks when I drive it. Black with dark tinted glass. Plus my wife likes the size (happy wife - happy life)
  • devilwifedevilwife Member Posts: 4
    Reading all these posts makes me want to Cry :cry: . I had a VW Jetta that was nothing but a lemon. I thought it was cause I bought a used car. So I decided to get a Chevy Equinox in June of 05. In my mind and from what I have seen Chevy = Quality. 2 weeks after I got the car I had problems with the knocking from the Baring/Strut unit that was going out. Waited for them to order. Also problem with the dirty very smelly radiator fluid. This problem with the radiator is on going. Every time I have brought it in they flush it, replace hoses, make it smell pretty for a while then send me on my way. Within 1 month it's back again. Been doing this for a year. What's going to happen when the warranty is up? Is that when they are going to figure out hey this isn't good for the car that the fluid is breaking down the hoses. Hmmm.... :lemon:
    So next I talked to the manager at Maita Chevy in California where I got the car. Maita has been very friendly but I just am getting no where on getting this stuff fixed. So for months I have been dealing with the radiator, few times in for the transmission. This last week I had it in for the Transmission seals leaking. The Tranny was out of fluid from the leaking caused when driving. The day after I got it out of the shop for this. I was pulling out of a parking spot and my Strut slipped out of place. Talk about hard to drive. They towed the car in and are working on it now. The tow truck driver and the Rep that checked my car in both said it was unsafe to drive. I have a rental currently but they told me it will be next week before I can get parts to fix mine. Granted this is all covered by warranty. However when is enough enough. For those of you out there that have dealt with similar issues with their Equinox's please send advice. Where do I go from here. I can't file for the Lemon Law cause I am above the Mileage. The Service Manager is playing everything I say down. What steps to you take. My car is only 1year and 2 months old. Any Advice on this is appreciated.
    :mad:
  • jtnoxjtnox Member Posts: 5
    Go to the top, call Chevy, 1-800-222-1020, this is the customer assistance center, let them know of the return issues...they are really big on dealerships keeping their customers happy, and just wondering what is the cut-off mileage to do a lemon law return??
    they are really big on dealerships keeping their customers happy, and just wondering what is the cut-off mileage to do a lemon law return??

In California I have read that it's 18,000 miles.
    Currently I am at 25,000.
  • salesrep4salesrep4 Member Posts: 2
    2005 E-Nox went into the shop 7 days ago for front stabilizer repair to correct the clunk. (yet to be tested) This is the 5th trip for that iss ie.

Also the dealer evaluated a whine I had coming from what he thought was the rear end. They replaced the entire rear axle assembly and guess what!!! The whine still was there. So they put an electronic device on the driveline to find the problem and determined it was coming from the tranny / transfer case area. They removed it and found metal shavings all over and some shaft or gear the was damaged. So now they are replacing the complete tranny with a new factory unit.

What next? It will be almost 2 weeks when I get my car back. Any bet's that the front end noise is still there and the problems with the driveline are just going to start all over again?

The ironic thing is my car with 25k is driven by my wife who does not drive hard or fast. I can't imagine what else would be wrong if this car was in the slightest being beat on or driven hard.

I have 10K+ miles left on the warranty and guess who won't be driving an E-Nox much longer? I only hope I can get a decent trade in by some non-GM dealer who hasn't read about any of the problems from this discussion site.
  • cschneider3cschneider3 Member Posts: 39
    I had an 2005 Equinox with multiple issues also. I ended up taking a hit on it and trading it in for a Mazda 6. I would contact the Better Business Bureaus (BBB) and inform them of all your issues and go after Chevy that way. Good luck to you!
    Sadly I have tried to trade my car in. On the first POS car that I had I took a lose trading it in for the Equinox. Now I owe too much on My Equinox to get anything else with out coming up with a large Down Payment. I am in a catch 22. My car has been in since Last Thursday! According to the Service Department it should be ready today. Again I have to take time off work to get my car. Rental car they gave me is due back by 3:30. I don't get off work till 5. So if I want to keep the car I have to pay for another day. Making the call to Chevy today. Hopefully something will come of calling them.
    :mad:
    Ok I will make this my last message. I just need to vent my frustrations on here. I picked my car up today and yes the problem with the Strut Assembly was fixed. When I got the car back there is a huge Black Greasy foot print on the carpet and the floor mat. I called the Customer Assistance # that was posted above. She took down the information and offered a oil change for free or $500 off my next vehicle if I want to trade this one in. Chevy won't do crap. According to them everything has been fixed up to spec. Only if it is an issue with them not being able fix the vehicle up to spec will they offer to repurchase the car. That's BS. I thought buying a chevy would help make the problems go way and I would have to visit a dealership every month to have my car repaired. When I asked Chevy C.A. about what I am supposed to do when the warranty is up and I have to go into the extended warranty and pay the deductibles they side stepped the questions and told me sorry for the inconvenience but they can't for see the future. What a Joke this is dealing with Chevy. Now I am left with a car that's a piece of crap and a large payment. I myself won't buy another Chevy Car. :mad:
    Chevy Customer Service is completely useless. The girl who I spoke to sounded like she was 16 yrs old and did not return any phone calls. Plus, once I finally contacted GM customer service, I didnt see my car for 2 months! I was in a loaner that smelled like smoke. They offered me a year of oil changes and tire rotations. THATS A JOKE!! Plus, they still havent fixed my car. Everytime I pick it up from the dealer, its worse than when I left it.
    BOTTOM LINE:
    GM does NOT care about their customers nor stand by its product.
    I work in a busy medical clinic and I tell everyone I see NOT to buy GM.
  • luv_my_noxluv_my_nox Member Posts: 14
    Purchased our New LT FWD Equinox Jan 31. MFG date: 1/05. Equipped with Sunroof and Leather. After 15,000 miles and almost 2yrs I am happy to report no problems. I'm impressed with the paint, build, fit and finish. It is a nice looking vehicle. Received lots of compliments. My wife loves it. I'm impressed with the ride, handling, and acceleration. Transmission is smooth and responsive. Currently getting about 19 mpg combined.

"What makes it even better" Equinox problems are much less than the 2004-05 Lexus RX330. Brake Failures and Transmission problems are occurring. Equinox problems are also much less than the 2003-05 Nisson Murano's CVT transmission problems and leaks. Power steering problems. Oh, by the way, if the Murano's alternator fails, it will leave you stranded. It's been a common occurrence. Most vehicles will get you to a safe location with a failed alternator. Check it out, it's all posted at the NHTSA web site (complaints and recalls) and on Edmunds Postings

Oh ya I almost forgot, according to CR's Recalls:

"Faulty Nissan Murano Fuel Tanks Linked to Fire Hazards"
    "The largest recall involves 205,000- 2003 to 2006 model year Nissan Muranos. The position of the fuel tank makes it suseptible to damage from sharp objects in the road that get kicked up into it by the front tires."

So who is really driving a Lemon and paying more for it?!
    ;)
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    Now you did it, you probably pissed off the Anti-American and Anti-GM "Hit and Run Bloggers". :surprise: