Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2005+

Comments

• jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    Thanks for the info. I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to get very many songs on an SD memory card. What's your experience? The one I test drove had nav with the slots but I don't know if the slots are available without the nav. Thanks again for the response.
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    I tested it with an old SD card that I had and just ordered 2 256MB cards, which should hold about 125 songs. I have conflicting information on this, my dealer told me that the 2 slots combined can hold 2GB (2 1GB cards), but the Audi manual says it will read up to 256MB. I should be good to go even with 125 songs, but if it turns out that it can hold 2GB, that should solve almost anyones problem.

I don't think it's available without the Nav. Me not being a iPod user, this is more than sufficient for me.
    PS. Spend the money and go for the Nav, it's well worth it. I have a 2005 Touareg, also with a nav, but this DVD based Nav is a major improvement. I'd highly recommend it.
  • macmurdomacmurdo Member Posts: 31
    I use a 1 GB card... has ~26 albums worth of music on it. Plays without problem. The only thing you have to keep in mind is the file name character limit... I forget the exact number, but it's stated in the manual, and was mentioned a few pages back in this forum.

File names that are over the limit just don't show up in the list displayed by the MMI system... it baffled me for some time... thought my cards were messed up, but when I put them in my computer, voila there were all the tracks that I thought I had recorded!!

I also don't understand why the 05.5 shouldn't be able to talk Bluetooth... I doubt very much that Audi used different hardware in the 06 MMI compared to what is in my 05.5! Probably some software update to the OS for the system. Why else would my steering wheel have those 2 buttons that are currently useless?!
  • kocourkocour Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the advice on whether or not to buy the Audi. After much thought I did buy it last week. Before doing so I spoke to my local and trusted foreign car mechanic, who happens to own a couple of Audis himself, and he put things in perspective for me. Audi did have several bad years in terms of reliability but has improved in recent years. I should expect more to go wrong with this car than the Japanese models that I have owned in the past but the excitement of driving it should be worth it. Since I try to keep my cars for at least ten years I may buy an extended warranty for $1800 that will cover most items for 7 years or 70,000 miles (3 years and 20,000 miles beyond the Audi warranty). I have 12 months to decide on whether to buy it - any advise?

The car is a 2005 1.8t convertible. Its handsome design and the fun of the convertible was one of the reasons I decided to buy it over an Infiniti G35 coup. It also gets better gas mileage. It had been on the dealers lot for several months and they have two 2006 convertibles - I live in the Midwest where convertible season is coming to an end - so I was able to get it below invoice - the dealer was also able to cut $1000 off the price if I financed it through Audi so I figure I got a fair deal.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Apple and Audi announced that Audi would be offering some kind of iPod integration later this year.

How involved it is, I don't remember but Honda and Acura also announced iPod support and their version will actually have speech recognition so you can speak your commands.

Supposedly in a couple of years, OEM stereo makers will have a better handle on iPod integration. Instead of just using the CD changer interface, they may find ways to integrate an iPod dock, which is why when Apple intro'd the iPod Nano, they also announced some kind of a universal dock standard, meaning people making iPod accessories can be assured that the dock standard won't change in the future.

At least for a couple of years :D
    So you've had no problem with using 1GB cards (total of 2GB)? Why does it say on the manual that it reads upto 256MB and a maximum of 60 characters? I bought 2 256MB's just to be safe, but I guess I'll have to find other use for them and get me 2 1GB's. Cool.

I know, it seems that the capability of Bluetooth is there on the 2005.5, it's just getting it hooked up. Let me know if you get any additional info on this.
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    The Technology package includes a trip computer. Anyone know what features it has - The brochure simply says "6 function trip computer including outside temperature guage". Is it able to keep track of gas mileage?

Second question - Brochure (I received from dealer) has listed an exterior color "Cambridge Green Effect". This color is not listed on the website. Although there is no date anywhere on the brochure, I suspect is is a 2005 brochure and that the Green color has been discontinued for 2006. That would be too bad, because it's almost a British racing green and would go nice with tan leather interior. Can anyone confirm this?
    Thanks!
    ***Mooselook***
  • macmurdomacmurdo Member Posts: 31
    OK... this is getting a bit much.... about 2 months ago, my remote intermittently failed to unlock doors... told the dealer about the known problem and my keys were replaced.

Time passes, and I'm the only one driving until this week. My wife has been using my car and changed the seat position to her memory settings. Today I went to drive my car and on unlocking the door, nothing happened to the seat position even though I had followed the steps to have my key memorize my stored seat settings!!!

Has anyone else noticed this, particularly after having the keys replaced??
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Cambridge Green was discontinued for 2006.
  • italian_dieselitalian_diesel Member Posts: 3
    i bought a 2006 audi a4 about 3 months ago, i wasnt willing to throw down the 3200 CDN for the Navi system. i saw a few OEM ones on ebay, i was wondering if i could instal it my self, or it has to be programmed by the audi dealer. and if i could do it myself, does any one know of a good place, and price. also i noticed there seams to be 2 kinds. one with dvd and the other one the dvd function doesnt work. thanks
    :) Victor :)
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    Have you considered just buying a Garmin or other brand? Might be cheaper and you wouldn't have any real installation issues. Some of the Garmin units are multipurpose while others are dedicated for automotive use.

Just an idea.

Byron
    Has anyone had any luck with using this? Is it possible to upgrade the software from the 2005.5 to 2006? It seems a waste if the capability is there but not functional due to unknows restrictions.
    After having decided on an A4 for my next vehicle, I just took a look at the Passat on the VW site and I'm amazed at the content of the Passat compared to the A4. These two cars share engines and transmissions (and who knows how many other components) and I understand that the Passat is based on an Audi platform. The Passat has more interior and exterior color choices and has more interior room and trunk space. It's also available with 4-motion, which is almost certainly "Quattro" with a different name. Incredibly, this car can be had comparably or better equipped, for a few thousand less than the Audi. The lease deals seem similar.
    So, what's the attraction of the Audi A4? I for one, like the fact that I can get a loaner if the A4 breaks down. I also like the included maintenance. I'm a little afraid of VW's rep regarding dependability and service, but under the skin, it looks like these two cars are very similar anyway and built by the same people! Are we being taken for a ride? Is the Audi nothing more than a VW with rings? I'm having second thoughts about the Audi decision. What do you all think?

***Mooselook***
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    Moose, You are taking almost as much time looking for a car as me. :P I test drove the Audi right after the Passat. These seem like totally diffferent cars.
    Interior - The old Passat had a gorgeous interor. I think the new interior looks like a Camry. It is very wide and the middle left of the dash looks plain. The A4 seems way sportier and is the best fit and finish in the business.
    Exterior/Space. The Passat looks like a large car to me and I don't like large cars. I am 6-2 and the Audi has similar headroom and better legroom than the Passat. The Passat obviously has tons more back seat space which I have no need for. Again the old Passat had more headroom than the current Passat. The Passat trunk is bigger but you can't put a cooler in either due to the small opening.
    Accelertion - The Audi is much, much more responsive. At almost any speed, you feel the increased torque giving you powerful pull.The Passat is smooth - it even seems to have less turbo lag. It also has less Turbo acceleration. The Audi is reminisent of my Saab Turbo. The Passat is reminisent of a Camry or Accord 6 cylinder (not something I scoff at but I don't have to like it).
    Handling - THE huge difference. The Audi is tight and road feel is excellent. It has very little body roll in turns and just soaks up country road curves and bumps. The Passat is really predictable and steady. But it is not even as fun as the old Passat. There is NO road feel any more and it has much more body roll than the Audi (but still less than a Camry).
    Reliability - Tough call. I would not have either out of warranty. Audi has good marks recently in the A4 including the Quattro. The Passat has horrible marks in the 4 motion. I doubt they are the same system but don't know for sure.
    Gas Mileage - Better in the Audi in both FWD and AWD.
    Lease deals - As you point out, they are not that far apart similarly equipped. Let the Audi guy convince you to take the relatively useless premium package and the price shoots up.

Lemme know what your test drive finds.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A couple of points:

The previous generation Passat certainly shared the same platform as the previous generation A4, however, I'm thinking that the new Passat has more in common with the new A3 platform than it does with the A4.

While the new Passat and the new A4 both share the 2.0T motor, their respective V6s will not be the same nor is their engine orientation (regardless of engine). The A4 will soldier on with the Audi V6, an engine that needs to be installed longitudinally, while the new Passat (and A3) will get the new VW VR6 (narrow angle V6), which due to its length must be installed in a transverse orientation.

Within the VW/Audi lineup, all cars with the longitudinal engine configuration (A4 A6 & A8) will get true Quattro while the cars with the transverse version of the truth (Passat, A3 & TT) get the Haldex AWD system (see http://www.haldex-traction.com/default.htm for more details).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I would be surprised if Passat was based on A3 platform. It is too large. Not to mention Jetta/Golf are on A3. I suspect more it shares A4 platform and 4-cyl. engine, but the similarity ends there.

All the rest you said is true. While previously buying Passat over A4 made a lot of sense across the board of trims, now it looks they separated enough to make them distinct. A4 seems to be a better choice (expensive, though, not that Passat is cheap anyway :cry: ).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

"I suspect more it shares A4 platform and 4-cyl. engine, but the similarity ends there."

Highly likely, I don't actually know which platform the Passat was built off of. Maybe its own? Maybe a hybrid between the A3 and the A4? That's why I chose my language very carefully and said "I'm thinking that the new Passat has more in common with the A3 than the A4." I based that comment on the architecture of the engine compartments and the AWD systems used. That said, you are absolutely correct, the Passat is much bigger than the A3 (or the A4 for that matter) and as such has much more in common with the A4 once size and space come into question.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I may go even further. I think they may be trying to pass V6 Passat as "poor man's A6" (similar size, somewhat fewer features), while 2.0T will go as "cheap man's A4" (larger size somewhat fewer features). Doesn't make sense :confuse:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• abalaskoabalasko Member Posts: 7
    Previous posts are correct that the 1998-2005 Passat was based on the A4/A6 with the same 1.8/4 and 2.8/V6 engines.

The current 2006 Passat is based on the same underpinnings as the Golf/Jetta just an extended wheelbase. 2.0T engine is about the only similarity of the current Passat/A4.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .and coming from me this is a statement I have been hesitant to make.

I drank the kool-aid, I actually believe there is room at the top. I do think that Audi has (overall, worldwide, not confined that is to North America), done a very good, darn near excellent job, of producing a car with sufficient "sporting dynamics" to rival BMW. In some cases, price not part of the equation, Audi produces cars that are superior to BMW -- operative words "in some cases."

So the "grand plan" to reach a fork in the road -- and take it -- where Audi goes sportier and where VW goes more luxurious (to compete with Mercedes) actually made sense to me. I bought into this notion -- as I said, I drank the kool-aid.

Now, VW is so beleaguered, that Porsche (in an almost bewildering move) has offered to essentially "bail out" VW by taking a 20% stake in the company, more or less assuring VW will remain "takeover proof."

The Phaeton, despite mostly great press and bargain basement prices (from time to time) isn't getting the traction one would think it "should" merit. The Passat W8, sport edition, sold miserably despite its many talents and bargain "street prices" (at least here in the US.)

Audi, in the mean time, seems on a roll (even if it doesn't exactly set the sales charts on fire HERE in Vespucciland) outselling (or being close enough for jazz) both BMW and Mercedes on its home turf (thinking of the A6 vs E class vs 5 series, for instance.)

Yet, the similarities between some VW's and some Audis are so close and often the price differences so significant, one wonders why VW "can't get no respect" (especially here on the western side of the Atlantic.)

The new Passat is a confusing car. When it can be had with a plethora of A6-isms in the not too distant future, it would seem to be (equipped with the 3.6L V6, AWD and ALL the toys) all dressed up to rival the Mercedes "E" at a "C" price.

And if you can't swallow that, it certainly would be a powerful alternative to a similarly priced "C" Merc, no?

Yet VW inexplicably sends the most confounding marketing message about this car -- it is neither depicted as a Mercedes rival nor even as a traditional VW. What does "its all grown up -- sort of" really mean? (yes I know that has been the recent Jetta campaign, not the Passat's.)

So the Passat gets compared with the Camry. Or, optimistically, it is said to be (depending on its configuration) a "poor person's A6." The message somewhat seems to be "Champaign at Beer prices."

I am about to throw up my formerly supportive hands and say "VW is dead to me."

I am NOT YET at that point -- I said "about to" (Ohioan for "fixin' to.")

The new Passat MAY BE the best Passat ever. It is an attractive car -- if you can imagine the offspring of a Phaeton and a Corolla. It will be a more powerful car than a more expensive Audi [A6 and in some cases A4], have many of the same fixtures (such as the door handles and some switchgear) and overall be a nice piece of automotive design and engineering.

However, therefore, notwithstanding:

At this point -- speaking personally -- there are now NO VW's in my future. My last couple momentary lapse of reason and consideration of/for VW products was about a year ago as I considered a "$599/mo" Phaeton, a V8 Touareg and the delightfully fun to drive R32.

The message VW is sending is so convoluted, the dealers (here in Cincinnapolis at least) so inconsistent and (even the good ones) apparently unreliable and the products neither A/C nor D/C, I just can't get comfortable with the brand anymore.

I'd take quirky -- but they're not.

I'd take a strong consistent message -- but there isn't one.

I'd not want one without "free maintenance."

I wouldn't keep one out of warranty in any case.

If they don't fix the message, the dealer body and to a lesser extent the products themselves, they are in for a bumpy few years.

Don't cry for me Argentina.
    Thanks for that clarification, it seems that the Passat is returning to its roots as it were. Not a bad thing at all from my perspective. I spent four wonderful years in a 1995 VR6 Passat GLX 5-Speed and actually felt that the 1998-2005 models were a step back both in terms of performance as well as space utilization.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I have had two "Passats" -- Quantum's by name. I do not see any similarities any root returns, i.e., in this new generation of Passats.

Yet, this is NOT a bad thing in my opinion. The car (I have only seen one up close and personal) looks like an Audi's cousin. The write ups have been pretty good to very good. But, I see no root matter -- and would appreciate some clarification of what "returning to its roots" means. It is not that you may ultimately end up convincing me that this is indeed what is happening -- it is just at this juncture, this is lost on me.

Thanks.
    "it's all grown up -- sort of" sounds dangerously close to "It's not your grandma's Oldsmobile". We all know how that ended...

Fortunately Audi doesn't have this kind of "personality" crisis.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Hey Mark,

Back in 1998 when I very carefully compared my 1995 Passat GLX to one of the very rare 1998 GLX 5-Speeds I came away with the following observations:

1) Handling: With what felt like a significantly more robust suspension setup coupled with wider tires (215 vs. 205), the 1995 seems much more composed at anything approaching the limit than the 1998 did when driven over the same roads.

2) Engine: The VR6 of my 1995 was an eager torque rich engine (at basically any RPM above idle) that just begged to be run hard and put away wet. The Audi 2.8 mill in the 1998 just seemed to be more complacent and needed to be flogged hard before it would finally wake up. IIRC, the 1998's engine didn't even seem to come alive until it was well north of 3,000 rpms.

3) Interior Space (specifically leg room): The 1995 had a whopping 82.1" of overall leg room, and when confronted with the barely adequate 76.8" of the 1998, both of my kids complained that they couldn't get their feet and legs comfortable when I test fitted their car seats on the show room model.

So, from my perspective, the 1995 GLX was faster, handled better and had more usable room than the 1998, and those are the same criteria that I used to make my "back to its roots" comment. The new Passat will also be available with a much breathed on VR6 (one of my favorite engines of all time) so it should be quite fast indeed, it has more interior space than the 1998 (although not as much as the 1995 in the leg room department), and in terms of handling, while I haven't driven one yet, my bet is that it will easily out perform the 1998, and probably the 1995 as well.

There is one final criterion, the underlying platform. The 1995 and now the 2006 are both apparently based upon smaller VW products while the 1998 was based upon the same platform as the Audi A4. Good, bad or otherwise, my mind seems to want to think of the 1998-2005 Passats as Audis.

While in the end you may not agree with my "back to its roots" comment, does it at least make more sense now?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Wow! This is certainly a topic that a lot of folks have a lot of opinions on. I'm tempted to post the same message on the Passat board and see what they're thinking over there! Thanks everyone for all the insights. I gained more information from you guys than I probably could have from any other source. Edwardsf, you're right, I am taking a lot of time researching this. In fact, it's become a sort of obsession, a monkey on my back, if you will. I have until 11/25 until my lease expires, so I still have more time for obsessing.
    Just a couple more minor observations:
    The Passat seems to have a few features that are not yet available on the A4, probably because the Passat is a new model, and the A4 is probably closer to the end of it's current model run (new grille refreshening notwithstanding...). For instance, the Passat has LED tailights, bladeless key in the dashboard (sort of like the BMW, but without the button), and an electronic parking brake activated by a button (instead of by a lever that is obstructed by the center armrest, as in the A4. What were they thinking?). Certainly these are not major items but they point to a future to which the A4 has not yet arrived. A recent comparo in Car & Driver ranked the A4 5th out of 8, simply because it had not yet moved on. Their closing line on the A4 was "For those who missed out on a 2004 A4, the 2005 is a godsend. For everybody else, it's old news."
    So, all that being said, the final proof will be in the driving.I'm guessing that the A4 will be much more fun. Looks like another test drive is in my future...

Regards,

***Mooselook***
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    Mooselook,

I'm puzzled by that C&D review. Now I have no issues with the BMW 3 making the top pick.I've driven a couple of them and think that they are great. But the new B7 A4 placed behind the Acura TL? I've driven the TL and after my test drive I immediately ordered another A4.

So, without actually having read the C&D review, I'm "guessing" that they based much of the ranking on numerical data. The TL generates very good numbers but I gotta say the car just doesn't click in the driving dynamics arena. The A4, like the BMW, has a synergy in the way all the parts come together that is rarely matched (maybe by the G35?).

My previous A4 was an '02 which, like the '04 A4, was the B6 build. The new B7 is significantly improved in ride, steering, handling, & braking.... not so improved in looks :P . While my two liter engine is two cylinders shy of the competition, it is a nice compromise between performance & fuel efficiency. With only a 1000 miles on the odometer, I'm getting around 34 mpg at 75 mph (manual, sports suspension & Quattro).

And the build quality on my A4 is superb.

Let us know how your test drive goes!

Byron
  • mikeinatlmikeinatl Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2006 A4 w/ Technology Package and NAV and unfortunately it does not have Bluetooth, does anyone know if there is a bluetooth upgrade module available or is it expected to be available in the future?
    Are you sure??? My understanding is that the "Technology Package" explicitly meant that you got Bluetooth. How do you know that you don't have it?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • chimaychimay Member Posts: 7
    When I bought my A4 a few weeks ago, I got the technology package with bluetooth, and the bluetooth was specifically called out. The dealer told me that there were two tech. packages, and one did not contain bluetooth. Dont' know if it's possible to upgrade after the fact, but imagine so. Anything's possible for a price.
    On the website, under Bluetooth under the Technology Package section, it say's "Confirm availability with dealer". It seems to me that if Bluetooth is not available on a particular car that has the Tech package, then the cost of the package ought to be less...
    ***Mooselook***
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I thought Audi changed the order guides and there is now only (1) technology package that has memory seats, xenons, and bluetooth as well. The website has only (1) technology package.

You cannot get "retro" bluetooth added in your car from the parts or service department. You have to get it from the factory via the technology package when your car is built.
    My sales guy specifically told me it did not have Bluetooth and I even tried to have my phone discover the car hoping that it just was not listed, but alas no Bluetooth. Anyone have any idea if Audi will be offering this as an add on in the future?
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    I just picked up an 06 A4 2.0Q auto this past weekend - Quartz Gray with Ebony leather interior. This is the first Audi I've owned since a 1978 - that was a disaster and I'd sworn off the brand until now. I looked at new Passat and BMW 325 as alternatives. With all the discussion of Bluetooth, tech packages, etc. the thing that pulled me to the Audi (besides Quattro) was the overall build quality and the solid feeling of everything - doors, seats, console, trunk lid, etc. The earlier BMW 3's (including my buddy's 2003 M3 convertible) had rock solid, bank vault doors that you could slam to your heart's content and you would loosen nothing. I was appalled at the "new" 3 Series - the doors "click" closed and feel very insubstantial (kind of like my 02 Altima I just got rid of). I'm 64 and have driven many, many cars over the years, and this 06 A4 has the best "hewn from a granite block" feeling of just about anything I have ever owned or driven. On top of that, the interior design is the best in class. Even the new 3 Series is trying to look "Tokyo at night-lite" in its approach. The monotone dash panel and Teutonic look of the A4's buttons and such to me are a real treat. I opted for the dark Walnut interior trim and it makes the interior very luxurious looking for a "bread and butter" product. To me the Passat interior looks cheap. Not just the design of the instrument panel, but the materials and colors offered, not to mention the arrangement of buttons and controls. The 06 Audi A4 looks better on the inside than the new A6 and even the A8 (my daughter owns one). This car is definitely a case of "less is more" and change isn't always for the better (as in BMW 3's). Topping it off is the great new engine, the 6-speed Tip and the upgraded suspension. The 5 double-spoke 17" wheels that are now part of the Premium Pkg. are snazzy and put lot of rubber on the road. Smooth ride, great handling, no squeaks or rattles and sufficient power for a "sixty is the new 40" kind of guy. Love it!!
    It is almost a certainty that there will be NO ADD ON of Bluetooth possible without stupid money being spent.

It would be cheaper and more reliable to trade you car in on one with Bluetooth than to attempt to retrofit it.

On the other hand, there may be a kit that allows you to build in a phone into the arm rest that will permit hands free use of the phone -- ask Audi.

The lack of Bluethooth is an issue and if you wanted a car with it and were misinformed, shame on them -- the reality is that it is probably just not practical to get it afterwards.

Sorry. :cry:
    The 17" 5 spoke double-cast wheels are apparently part of the Premium Package for 2006. In the brochure, (which is apparently 2005 but is unmarked) there appear to be 2 styles of 17" wheels. One is a "normal" 5 spoke, and the other is the "double-cast". Have the 17" 5 spokes been discontinued for 2006? Having owned Euro cars in the past, including an A4, I know what it's like to clean brakedust off the wheels. My current car (Saab) has 10 spoke wheels and it's a real pain. Is it possible to get a 2006 with Premium package but with 5 spoke 17" wheels? Half the cleaning...

***Mooselook***
    Oh well, will just have to get an after market kit, thinking of getting the Parrot CK3100 http://www.driveblue.com/(t3svk1bvhgd3ts55z4kncr55)/Default.aspx?root=ck3100
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    According to my dealer the "normal" 5-spokes are considered just one step up from the standard 16" wheels and are still available as a stand-alone option if you are not ordering the Premium Package. The Premium Package is designed to kick everything a little up-market, hence the 5 double spoke wheels come with that package (they are the ones that used to come with the Sport Package - something that seems to have been replaced in 06 with the S-line option). I like the double spokes, but it is a matter of personal choice or taste. I looked at the photos of both wheels and to me the actual surface area of the "normal" 5-spokes looks greater than that of the double-spokes, but the devil may well be in cleaning the nooks and crannies. Even so, I usually use a good brand of alloy wheel spray cleaner which has easily taken off the dust you mention with my other cars. I agree the catalog they give you appears to be up to date for the 2006's but the content of the option packages is definitely 2005.5. The Premium Package in the catalog includes the leather seats, while in my 06 the leather seats are part of a Sunroof Package (to be found no where in the catalog). Also, the Premium Package in my car includes heated front seats, and the Cold Weather package (I didn't get it) is simply a ski sack and heated rear seats.
  • abalaskoabalasko Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001.5 Passat GLX. Honestly, knowing it had a lot of Audi parts and the Audi V6 engine was a huge sell for me. Especially for the price.

Now the new Passat with it's Toyota looks and VW underpinnings, is less appealing to me.

I'll keep my Passat for a few more years, but if I bought today I would lean toward the A4 V6 (although it's a bit pricey).
    I see you've never experienced the joy of driving behind a VR6. Year by year a much more drivable engine than the Audi V6 from my perspective. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    I am stuck in my Jeep GC lease for 2 more years so most of this is moot right now, but. I test drove a Passat 1.8T about two years ago was not impressed with the power, especially from a stop. I get the impression that the new 2.0 T Audi is very fast, I have read all the reviews on Edmunds,AOL,Yahoo, Msn and most give glowing reports. My son just got a 3.5 SE Altima and that has power 249 foot pounds of torque with a 5MT. Pushing it I get torque steer through 4th gear, quite a thrill. I suspect that the A4 is much more refined with much better handling than the Altima, and of course with a much higher price. I will be 59 by the time I get out of this lease, 12 years of driving 4 new GC's is enough,
    I realized that after driving the Altima that I would like to drive something more exciting. The Subaru Legacy GT looks to have the same power as the Altima
    and I presume handles better. I have also read all the threads on these cars,
    BMW 325, Audi A4,Legacy GT,TSX, Passat, S40. Most like their cars and say they are the best, except for the people with problems. I guess my questions are what makes an Audi special, how would I like off the line power compared to the V6 Altima. No sense taking a test drive yet, too long to go on the lease and no easy way out. Oh by the way just sat in a 525 BMW and for some reason was not impressed with the interior, am I crazy or what, I do like my friends Passat interior. If you go over to the TSX board it is the best car in the world. Thanks Old Mike
  • wlnwln Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2006, 4 door Audi A4-t. When you push the lock botton in the driver's door. Three doors will lock but the driver's door will NOT lock. Audi has told me this is a safety feature so you will not lock yourself out. I have never had a car that did this. All my other cars would lock all 4 doors when the automatic lock feature was pushed in the driver's door.

Does anyone know if this is the way these doors really work or is Audi handing me a line?

WLN
    You are not being handed a line -- this is the way the locks are designed to work.

I think you can do the following:

Close all the doors.

Walk to the passenger door of your choice and open it.

Reach over and lock the driver's door, all the doors will lock.

Close the door you opened.

Unless the system has been made even more intelligent, this would do the trick.

What is wrong with using the fob to lock the doors remotely rather than pushing the door lock button itself?
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    Old One, I have test driven all those cars except the Biiiieeemer. (I won't because I hate the nickname). The Altima 3.5 has nice acceleration and for us tall guys, it does have way more headroom! But is not on the par with the other cars in regard to: interior, handling, braking and road feel. I think it is a great looking car and a good value but it really does not strike me as a sport sedan. (The Passat is now a little dowdy too).

If you are comfortable with the ergonomics of Japanese cars, I think the Legacy and the TSX are wonderful cars to drive - and have great reliablity. The Euros have a bit more panache, even more road feel, and fit and finish are more elegant but the Euros are not so great to own as out of warranty repairs are pricey. Good luck ... in two years.

Sort of old Ed
    How do we find out what phones are compatable with the Bluetooth option? I use Verizon Wireless and before I shell out the extra $500 for the Tech Package with Bluetooth, I want to be sure that Verizon has a phone that works with it.
    Anybody know?

Regards,
    ***Mooselook***
    Audi knows. And if you call them 1-800-FOR-AUDI, they will tell you.

For unknown reasons, however, I will tell you that THE PHONE that has THE FEWEST issues and the greatest performance (in these applications) and, frankly, the lowest price is the Sony Ericsson T637. It is available in "unlocked" form on the Internet and all you need to do then is go to your provider du jour (no contracts please) and purchase a plan and a SIM chip, then you are good to go.

Moreover, Audi and BMW offer in-car build-in kits that will allow you to:

1. Use the optimized charging and battery conservation feature

2. Use the car's rooftop antenna (fewer dropouts)

3. Use the phone in so-called handsfree and eyesfree mode (and some even offer full voice response mode)

I had almost purchased an Infiniti M35X and when I went to the Infiniti dealer, they gave me "the bluetooth list" (also on the websites); then the salesman said "word of advice, fewest problems, greatest functionality etc, with the Sony T637."

I got mine off of the Internet and called Audi for the in-armrest mounting kit and went to AT&T/Cingular/Cincinnati Bell for my SIM chip, then I ordered a German SIM Chip and an Italian Chip (I am now, as they say, "nationwide and global." )

I think the phone was $129 (unlocked -- which basically means "you can use it in some 65 countries on the planet Earth), no contract required for service and -- here in Cincinnati -- bought a plan that combines my home phone, high speed Internet Access, BlackBerry utilization with unlimited e-mail and two T637 phone chips (one for my wife's T637 and one for mine) with free intra-carrier calling, unlimited free domestic long-distance, $.05/min international calling rates and a 30 day automatically renewing "contract."

The Audi phone book integration (probably with and without the Navigation screen, even) is easy (I have the multi-function steering wheel) with the T6XX phones is seamless and with the ability to use the roof antenna rather than the in-device antenna, the dropouts "dropped" by about 2/3rds over my buddies who use solely the in phone antenna.

I don't know if Verizon offers this device (T6XX phone) or not. "If" they use SIM chips in their phones, you will, however, be able to use the unlocked Sony-Ericsson phone (assuming they use GSM standards.) If they don't, and you ever travel over the oceans, well, I'd dump Verizon like a hot rock, for, at this point in time, GSM is "the standard."

If you love CDMA, TDMA or whatever for whatever reason, that is certainly OK with me -- GSM at this juncture just happens to be in very wide use in both NA and all over the eastern hemisphere.

Hope this helps. :shades:
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Thanks for the comments sort of old Ed.
    I guess I have been driving I6 jeeps too long, what has now peaked my interest in cars again is driving my sons new Altima, I find the 250 ft pounds of torque from the Nissan V6 rather exciting at my advanced age. One worry about Audi is of course reliability, wife has had 3 new accords since 1995 none of them were ever in the shop for anything except routine maintenance. But she even got tired of driving them, she now has an AWD Escape which we own, so I dont need two 4/AWD drive vehicles in the family. Which leaves me when it is time to get a nice car. I do not see much mention of the FWD A4 all the talk is about the AWD, which I really dont need anymore besides the FWD is less expensive. But then again the AWD will provide better handling even on dry roads, but do I really need to drive that hard, who knows. I guess I will be having fun reading these boards for the next two years and then decide on what is the latest and greatest at that time.
    I will have to test drive an A4 2.0T and see for myself about the low end torque or lack of it from my perspective. Actually believe it or not I don't need a sun roof and really don't like leather that much, but I am attracted to very nice interiors, just minus the leather. Thanks Old Mike
  • onkloud9onkloud9 Member Posts: 25
    Mooselook,

I have a Treo 650 with Verizon. It pairs with my A4's bluetooth, but it isnt "fully functional." ie you can dial out by numbers but not by saying the persons name from your phone book. Incoming calls will display the number on the window between the tach and the speedo, but not the persons name. Honestly, if you talk while driving and hate those goofy headsets, the option is worth it.
    Thanks, Mark.
    Very helpful and very comprehensive. I checked out the T637 but unfortunately, I don't think Verizon supports GSM standards, and I have too many phones on the plan to easily switch. I guess I'll talk to the folks at Audi and see what they say.
    Regards,

***Mooselook***
    Word on the net is that Verizon BT phones have been deliberately crippled -- don't know if this is totally accurate and even if so, don't know why.

Audi has another new accessory -- works on Motorola phones (but they too appear to be those with SIM chips and GSM.)

Check it out -- maybe there is a way to get the Verizon system to be more open with Audis BT implementation.
This discussion has been closed.