Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2005+

Comments

• mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    Anyone purchased the normal phone cradle that works with the built-in phone system (without Bluetooth)? How's that working out?
  • dlaz3dlaz3 Member Posts: 1
    I've been checking out wagons to replace an aging Subaru Outback and really like the A4 Avant for the ride and style, and fact that it is smaller for both city driving/parking and mileage. Question is whether it's too small to be the sole family car? I have 2 very young children and my wife and I are on the smaller side. We've tried most of our kid gear and it seems to fit, but I'm wondering whether, based on practical experience, people feel that this car is big enough for day-to-day life with car seats, stollers, kelty backpacks, and related kids gear. The interior seems about the same as the Subaru, but the rear storage is definitely smaller. Any thoughts and comfort level on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    What's the policy regarding free loaners? Having just closed a deal on a 2006 A4, I called the Service Department about this and was advised that free loaners are provided only for scheduled maintenance but not for repairs under warrantee. This was not the case back when I had my '99 A4. Does anyone have info on this?

Regards,
    ***Mooselook***
  • joemalejoemale Member Posts: 28
    I've test driven the DSG version of the A3 and found it great.
    Is this offered in the A4? Will it be?
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    I test drove the new 3.6 VR6 Passat two days ago. There is no question after driving both the Passat and the Audi A4 recently that the Passat is no longer the "just a little bit less rich" man's A4. This is not necessarily a compliment. There is a significant difference between the two at this point, some good, some bad...

As a family man that needs to fit a car seat in the back, the increased room is a welcome addition in the Passat compared to my current 2000 A4 1.8T. The interior with the burled wood upgrade is a "night and day" change vs the monotonous fake metal on the Passat 2.0 version. The seats are similar to the Audi's- i.e. comfortable but not very "sporty" or bolstered". The trunk on the Passat is excellent.

Although the VR6 was very powerful, I came away very unimpressed. The FWD version is the only one currently available, and the VR6 completely overwhelmed this car. The engine toe-in was very abrupt and led to quite a herky-jerky ride. I "spun" the front tires much more than I every would want to at 38 years of age. The VR6 did have a very nice "growl" when pushed hard.

Overall, I would opt for the 2.0 T in the Passat if it could be similarly equipped as the 3.6. But here's my biggest gripe- It can't! I can't even order what I would consider "given" in a car- a fully powered driver's seat or auto-dimming rear view mirror- without ordering the VR6. I agree that the Passat currently has two personalities. At it's most loaded, it's a "poor man's" A6 (although this is a significant drop-off we're talking about). In the 2.0 T, it's a very good alternative to the Camry or Accord. In no way is the Passat and A4 comparable at this time.

I'll test drive the Passat with the 4 Motion when it comes out to see if the extra bulk and the 4 wheels smooths-out the big engine, but I'm back to looking at the A4. I wanted to a little closer to the dealer (Audi- 35 minutes, VW 5 minutes) as my Audi needs a little work from time-to-time but the extra drive for a guaranteed loaner may be worth it.

Finally, the new haldex system is a full-time FWD system that only switches to the rear wheel if there is slip. I'm no sure how this will effect performance. My take is that the Passat is trying to mature into a legitimate family vehicle, but it is taking away from the old "Farfegnuten" image. Good luck VW in trying to compete with Toyota and Honda!!
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    I went round and round on this and wound up with an A4 that I've leased for 24 months (2.0T Quattro w/performance pkg, sunroof pkg, metallic Quartz Gray paint and the dark mahagony interior wood trim). The interior wood package only added $8/month to the bill and for me puts the A4 into a whole new class of vehicle - I look at the interior pieces it covers every time I drive the car and it really looks LUXURIOUS - also, it is real wood. Besides that, I noticed a difference in the ride (handling too, but that did not as much of a concern me) resulting from the different front suspensions. For my money the Passat's strut-type setup lets a lot more of the shocks, etc. into the car - its drivetrain, my body and the car's structure. The Audi's 4-link lower/upper arm setup with separate shocks makes for a wonderful ride, isolation from abrupt movements and noises and a great feeling of what's going on. Very importantly for me the A4 seems much more structurally rigid than the Passat. The feel and sound of slamming the driver's door on the A4 is so satisfying - the proverbial "bank vault." The Passat door seems to just "be there" and sounds clumsy and thin when you close (slam) it. There are many other things I prefer about the Audi: the Passat's tail sits way high up - probably because the rear springs are set up for 3-abreast in the back seat and a bigger trunk load; the Audi A4's dash is pure Teutonic and very straightforward (better than the A6 or the BMW 3's or 5's too); the leather seating material itself is much more up-scale on the A4. There is much more I could go on about too. The Passat's big plus is interior room, but it is just me, and despite being 6'3" and 205 lbs. I fit very comfortably in the A4 - so that's all she wrote.
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I wanted to look at the passat before buying an A4 but its not a fair fight when the passat doesn't have 4 motion available yet. I live in Chicago. I refuse to drive anything without all wheel drive.
  • craigp1craigp1 Member Posts: 17
    I just picked up my 2006 A4 2.0T Quattro, Ocean Blue/Black, 6 sp, Prem Pack, sport susp, Sunroof Pack. I ordered this car back in June! Due to the sport suspension being sold order only, it took forever. But I have say, it was worth the wait! I had a 2003 A4 1.8T, Denim Blue. At first I liked the 2003 Body style more (I thought the rear was nicer, but I did like the new front), and was a bit sad to see it go. After seeing my new car, I have completely changed my mind. This car is beautiful. And the more I see the 2006's, the more I prefer the new rear end.

After 80 miles, this car drives great. It sticks to the road like glue, and the new engine blows the 1.8 T away. Smooth, responsive, no turbo lag. Could use a better tune as the sound is kind of hollow, but with the great sound system, who cares. The new electronic steering is fantastic. I didn't really like it during the test drive, but longer driving time has showed me the way!

And the 5 double-spoke wheels are sweet. With tinted windows and some nice pinstriping, this car is a head turner. Love the look of the lower suspension with the sport package.

When I ordered this car, I was so unsure because I loved my 2003. But you can't keep these cars once the warrenty is up (unless you get a good extended warrenty), so I went for the new one. No comparison, this car looks, drives, and handles way better. Whoever still has doubts, leave them behind. Get a 2006!

Now lets hope my 2006 is as trouble free as my 2003 was.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    You've got to ante up and get the $3,000 S line package to a get a sport suspension without it being a sold order car.

It's pricey, but the S Line package looks incredible.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    ...and what a difference. While I'm still not wild about the new look, the car is improved in all critical areas... steering, braking, suspension, blah blah blah. I skipped the costly S-Line package for a factory sports suspension. And after about 1600 miles I have yet to encounter even one issue with the car.

The two liter engine is a nice compromise between performance and economy. I'm just surprised that there aren't more people cross shopping the new A4 with the competition.

Byron
    I hated the wheels on the S-Line, liked the double spoke much better. Plus it came with Summer Tires, useless in the Northeast, so it was a deal killer for me. So $3000 (plus new tires) for a couple of minor spoilers just wasn't worth it. And my dealer is not ordering any S-Lines anyway since they do not think it is worth $3000 either.
  • onkloud9onkloud9 Member Posts: 25
    I got my S-line two months back and its totally worth it. The 18" wheels, 18" tires, and suspension are already about 3 grand from the dealer if you bought these individually, so the S4 body parts (front bumper, side door sills, s4 trunk) are a nice bonus. If you aren't going to mod the car, then the S line package is the way to go.

Or you can debadge the S-line, flash the ECU (APR, Revo, GIAC), and have 250hp/300lb-tq and have people wondering if its an S4. Little do they know, its a 4-banger :shades:
    Let me see, $3000 for lousy looking 18 wheels, tires that only grip in the hot dry weather, and sport suspension that can be ordered seperately for $250. I think not. As for the spoilers, the only one that looks good is the S4 trunk. But the trunk is not worth $3000. But to each his own, and enjoy your A4 S-Line.

I'll take the 5 double spoke wheels (nicest wheels Audi makes IMHO) with all season tires, and with the $250 sport suspension, there is no gap between the tire and fender. Who needs 18's.

I now have 200 miles on my A4, and lovin every minute of it. Recently saw a couple of the new 3 series on the road, thank god I chose the A4 as I think it is much nicer looking. Go Audi!
  • zcar3zcar3 Member Posts: 22
    craigp - i see you drove your old a4 in new england. were you able to get away w/ all-season tires? my 2000 1.8t had the performance package, so it came with summer tire which were almost useless - even with quattro - in the snow. i picked up a used set of s4 rims when the original tires needed replacement and ran summer tires on the s4 rims, with winter sports on the stock rims. it worked out great year round, although at 6 years, i'm looking for a new car in the immediate future...
    Well, IMHO, anything less than 18's is small for such a large wheel well. Not only does it handles better with the larger wheels (18-inch 5-arm quattro® GmbH wheels with 235/40 high performance tires compared to 17-inch 5 double-spoke cast alloy wheels with 235/45 all-season tires) but it sits much nicer with the larger wheels and lowered stance. Sure the ride is slightly rougher and more responsive, but thats a matter of preference. I think that calling the RS6-style wheels "lousy" is a bit much. They are the same wheels in design (created by quattro GmbH) as the ones on the fastest production Audi before the B7 RS4 and I like em :D

But this is coming from someone in sunny California, where the only snow I will see is when I go to Big Bear or Tahoe, and even then I wouldn't rely on all-seasons; I would definatly get some chains and 16" steel wheels. I used to live in Baltimore, where it snows a good amount, and I think that 18's are great for the summer/spring/fall months, but come winter, I would always invest in a cheap set of 16"s with snow tires.

Did you check out the Vortex front spoilers from the dealer? If you didnt get the s-line package, you should check out the Vortex body pieces.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    You're in the small minority of people who think the S Line wheels are lousy. I think they look gorgeous.

Go and price any type of aftermarket rims and tires, and it'll cost you about $1000 to go from 17's to 18's. Michelin Pilot Sports are $250 each for 18 inch tires.
    My old 2003 A4 1.8T was a front wheel drive with all seasons, and it handled great in the snow. Keep in mind it was a stick, which is better in the snow than an automatic.

If your looking for a new car, the 2006 A4 2.0T is a great car, far supperior to previous Audi's, even my 2003. My 2006 Audi has quattro with all seasons, so I suspect it will be even better in the snow than my 2003, so snow tires will not be needed. Keep in mind I do not live in the mountains.
    18's are nice, just not the current S-Line wheels. Basic 5 spoke design. Although the rim is 1 inch larger than the 17's, keep in mind the tires are a lower profile, thus making the overall diameter of rim plus tire just 1/2 inch larger for the 18's.

For me, the design of the double-spoke wheel more than makes up for the slightly less overall diameter. Plus I'm not a big fan of the ever decreasing tire profile. Whatever happened to nice looking tires? But that's a whole other topic.
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    A local Speed Shop has offered to design, build, and install a new Exhaust System for my 5 week old A3 .....FREE OF CHARGE!! He could then use the prototype to build similar systems to market to other A3 owners. My Concern is what effect this new exhaust system will have on my warrenty. Any of you A4 guys have experience with this type of thing. Thanks Bill H.
    The 2006 looks nice, but I just checked the options selection, and Audi seems to have lost me... you can't get the technology pack (I need/want bluetooth) without the premium package, there are no sport seat options anymore, the S-line package requires the premium package, the interior/exterior color combos are very limited, etc.

Maybe I'm just being overly picky, but it seems like they stack their packages far too much, so if you want a few options in certain packages, you end up with a car in the upper 30's. Doh! I was hoping the A4 would be my "low-cost" alternative to a 330...
    I paid $32K for my A4 ($900 over invoice - Quattro, Premium, Sunroof, Sport, Ocean Blue). Can't touch a 330 for that. In fact you could throw in a 50" flat screen Plasma TV and still not touch a 330. Plus the new 330's, no matter how good they may drive, are just not a good looking car.

I have no technology package, but hey, can't stand the cell phone anyway. I crank the music and check my messages after my fun drive is over (except the woman of course!)
    i think the way you ordered is exactly the way to do it. but, i am interested in the s-line package and bluetooth, which brings the price way up. decisions...

btw, love the ocean blue color! it would be my 1st choice
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    That's got to be a 2.0T A4 right?

The 330i is a 6-cylinder.

Compare it to a 325i, which is much closer in price.
  • novalaurennovalauren Member Posts: 16
    just wondering...too lazy to pick up the phone and call a dealer...in the beginning stages of looking at new cars :P
    325 or 330, comparably equiped the A4 2.0T is still much less, especially if you add all wheel drive to the beemers. The new 3, with its larger size just does not look sporty anymore. And Too much mushy metal along the sides. I drove it, pondered it, but in the end, the A4 looks more sporty, more crisp (like the old 3), and has a much nicer interior. The only thing I like better on the beemer was the engine sound.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Playing Devil's advocate here...

"325 or 330, comparably equiped the A4 2.0T is still much less, especially if you add all wheel drive to the beemers."

Some would say that for the A4 to be considered "Sporty" you need to option in the Quattro drive train. On the other hand, for the BMW 3-Series, for it to be considered "Sporty" it should be left in its native RWD state and then have the Sport Package added on.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I think they are very comparable with respect to price. To get each model w/ leather & premium options and sports options:

A4 Quattro with leather/sunroom, premium, and upgraded radio $34,960

BMW 325 RWD w/ sports & premium package $36,095

That's about $1k difference (added radio to A4 because BMW premium package comes w/ upgraded radio). Otherwise, the options are close. I agee that the A4 should be ordered with Quattro, and the BMW should be ordered RWD for best performance. I wish the A4 still offered the sport seat option. I realize their stock seats are better than the standard 3 series, but I love my 2000 A4 sports seats...
  • jbond3jbond3 Member Posts: 7
    Does Audi come with CD player that can play MP3 format? It's a must in this day and age and it would be a real deal breaker for me if it didn't.
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    I remember reading your posts on the 2006+ BMW 3-series forum. Did you ever settle on a replacement vehicle yet or are you on the fense?
    which is a better choice....gimme your opinions...I am completely torn... :confuse:
    Still on the fence. ;-) Even at this late date, I still don't have any idea if my 100 mile daily commute will continue beyond January or if it will return to my more historically normal 30 to 40 miles. Under the assumption that it's going to continue for another year or three, I'm leaning toward picking up a new A3 Sport 6-Speed (the version that has three pedals under the dash). :)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    If you just go by price, an 06 Audi A4 Quattro 6-speed with prem/cold/tech/bose with XM or Sirius is MSRP 36885. An 06 BMW 325xi with cold/premium/premium sound with satelite/xenon headlights (included in Audi's tech package) is MSRP 39840. Thats 3 grand more for an equally equiped car. If you wanna compare 0-60 (for kicks), the BMW gets 7.1, while the Audi gets 7.3 according to manufacturer. Not that much of a difference..

In all honesty, go for the A4. Audi has more experience in developing all-wheel drive systems (Quattro is now in its 4th generation) and that is what you seem to be comparing. I think the Audi looks better too. Anyone noticed the profile of the new BMW saloon's? To me, it seems the hood or overall front end is too long.. almost like a coupe's... The two cars are pretty similar (besides price). You could be saving yourself 3 grand by getting the Audi :)

Also, not to confuse your decision making, but you should also consider the Volvo S60R AWD, and Subaru cars (STI and Legacy GT). IMHO, Subi's have the most advanced AWD applications, but they are not luxury cars. I just threw in the Volvo because its a great deal for what your getting.
    Ah mods... From what I gather, it really depends on your Audi Service department. I have had good experiences with my service department; they are completely cool with mods, never saying a word (it kinda helped that a few of the service guys are my friends). I have also heard of dealerships that immediatly blame mods for any problems on that particular car and refuse to service them. And if the dealership blames any problems on that modification, there isn't much you can do (besides the usual legal paths).

Exhausts will (almost) never cause any issues. Even passing smog in Cali is possible with an exhaust. Still, I would ask a technician from the service department (on the side) to see how they feel about them. But if its just an exhaust, it shouldn't be an issue. Chipping is a whole different story :surprise:
  • thebody5thebody5 Member Posts: 20
    Actually Audi has the most advanced all wheel drive system on the market. Thats why quattroa has been banned in just about every form of racing. Subaru is a great alternative to Audi as far as all wheel drive cars go. They actually use the same system Audi was using in the late 80's.
    thanks so much for your reply...everyone tells me quattro is superior to the x version of the 325....sigh.... :confuse:
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I would not be so sure. It definitely was superior to previous gen xi, but this gen is based on X-drive, same as in X3. From what I read it is similar to Torsen and it has good opionions of those who actually tried it, so it may be very close to quattro. I may be wrong, though.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I was originally set on picking up a new 330i, but after doing some cost evaluation, I feel that I get more bang for my buck by going with the A4 2.0T. The 325i was never of consideration because I didn't have the same road connection as I did with the A4 2.0T or the 330i. And the 3.2 A4 doesn't come in a manual, so FUHGEDDABOUTIT.

With that said, I've made up my mind on which car to get - I just have to act on it. And as we've discussed, mine will also have the three pedals. :) I'm just trying to figure out what color. I'm thinking Brilliant Red, but knowing my driving habits, I should probably invest in a radar detector too.
    Yeah, color is indeed one of the vexing decisions that I'm going to have to make regarding any A3 in my future. Currently I'm thinking Lava Gray pearl effect, however, my contrarian nature being what it is, I'm toying with the idea of ordering a 2.0T 6-Speed (three pedal version), Black Leather, Sport Package, CWP (to get the heated mirrors), Sound Package, Open Sky system, Bi-Xenons, Convenience Package and Bluetooth all done up in Venetian Violet pearl effect. That then leaves the NAV system and the paint still in the "undecided" column. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Lava Gray is really sharp. If I was going to pay a premium on color, that would be the one, or Light Silver. But everyone and their dog owns silver, which makes me hesitant. The Venetian Violet is also an interesting route to go. I'd have to see it in person before I pass judgement. The Garnet Red Pearl looks hot, but that's just my personal preference. I've never been a big red fan for cars because of the stereotypes associated with it, but the A3 and A4 pull it off very well.

I've now left a drool mark on the website. (sigh) Hopefully I can act on this sooner rather than later.
    A4 3.2 now is available with manual. Go on their website and check.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Thanks for the "Heads UP" on the A4 3.2 stick. ;-) I'll probably take it out for a drive if/when I get the chance, however, the A3 body style fits my needs better than even the A4 Avant, so that's probably where my money will go. That and I've never been much of a fan of the Audi V6 engines means that I'd most likely opt for the 2.0T (chipped if I feel the need) regardless of which body style I pick. Note, while I haven't driven the latest 3.2 liter incarnation of the Audi V6, I felt that their 2.8 and 3.0 versions were just not as fun and willing as the VR6 mill that I had in my 1995 Passat GLX. Said another way, if I felt the desire for a six hole engine, I'd probably opt for the A3 3.2 VR6 (assuming a three pedal version was available, which of course isn't the case).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    That's interesting you say that because the Audi dealer in Charlotte was adamant about the 3.2 not being available with a stick in 2006. He indicated that the website is misleading and it's not an option at all.

Dealerships have been wrong before though . . .Has anyone seen a 3.2 6-speed manual on the lots yet?
    I think your salesguy simply does not know, or does not want to know. I knew about manual for a few months, when I received a response from Audi of America promising it in Fall '06. They also said they were working on European Delivery, also due in Fall. No news in that dept. as of yet.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

You're probably right considering Audi USA said they would be delivering a 3.2 6-speed manual in late October. Maybe I should swing by the dealership to see if they were misinformed.
    Anyone have any experiences in ordering exterior paint for their Audi not listed in the normal color pallate? A friend of mine just ordered an 06 A4 S-line in Sprint Blue usually reserved for the S4. It was a $2500 "option" but I think he could have gotten it for cheaper. I guess you can get anything you want as long as you have money :confuse: Has anyone else done this?
    Confirmed with the dealer in Charlotte that they do have a couple of 3.2 6MT coming in their inventory. Guess the first specialist was misinformed. :)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    In our case (May 2005) an Audi @ $44K MSRP was $684/mo on a 15,000 mile 36 month lease with no upfronts and a $47K MSRP BMW same terms was $581/mo.

Now we ended up with one new A6 and one new X3 3.0 -- the MSRP and "cap cost" are certainly important, but since (locally) some 75% of these cars are leased (seems even higher at the BMW store) the MSRP may mislead.

The A4 and 3 can be comparably equipped, and everytime I have spec'd out an Audi vs a BMW the BMW at MSRP is always thousands (or at least a thousand) more.

BMW must be in the biz of subventing leases tho and from this perspective the Audi and BMW are often closer than you think.

If you like the Audi better, you certainly will not be disappointed.

Ditto the BMW.

Its personal with these cars -- unless someone has a super deal du jour going on that puts so much price disparity on the transaction that you feel compelled to go for "value."

Try the apples to apples comparison (two times.)

Configure the A4 and the 3 at comparable MSRP's, then at comparable content -- get the lease quotes for both conditions; and, if you are "on the fence" and would be happy with either, go with the "best deal."

I stuck with Audi, my wife jumped to BMW.

Much as it galls my Audi-heart to say this -- they are both great cars.
  • sailoverfuelsailoverfuel Member Posts: 82
    The Car:
    2006 A4 2.0T Quatro
    S Line
    Nav
    Premium
    Tech Package
    Quatro
    Black on Black
    Sunroof
    Cold Weather
    ...I think thats it.

Deal:
    MSRP $40, 800
    Paid $38,100 (North West-NJ)
    2 Year lease
    .00139 Money Fact
    15 K per year
    No $ Down
    491.00 per month

Happy with car. Good salespeople...no hard push on back end of deal.

Questions:

1. What is the ESPP botton above the NAV screen. When pushed you can see a car driving on a curvy rd. in center control screen (near)

2. Can I pull out the fuse for the seat belt beeping sound. It sounds when parked..not moving.

3. On the door (driver), below the gas tank and trunk release pull bottons, there is a third botton. What is it?.
    Sounds like the car I have, except I didn't get navi. Is your car standard or tiptronic/cvt?

ESPP is electronic stability protection program (i think thats what the acronym stands for). It basically cuts your throttle if your wheels start to slip so that your car can regain traction. It handy to turn it off if you ever launch your car from a stand still (during a race, etc).

I've never heard of anyone pulling the fuse for that annoying seat belt beeping sound. What you can do, however, is find someone with the VAG-COM tool (its a device that can reprogram certain parts of your car's computer) and turn it off that way. You can go to http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl to find someone in your area or you can Google vag-com and buy it out right. There are lots of other things you can tweek with this tool. Check out Audi enthusiast forums, such as http://www.audizine.com/forum, for these tweeks.

Also, since you are leasing, you can VAG-COM it back to stock before returning the car, and the dealer will never know.

The third button between the gas tank and trunk release? Hmmm, I don't think Ive ever used it... Im gonna have to check it out... :D
  • sailoverfuelsailoverfuel Member Posts: 82
    Stick/standard...without a doubt. i forgot to add the residual value...73%

So, does the ESP turn on automaticly if needed? I know it can be turned on by pushing the botton.
This discussion has been closed.