Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    edited January 2013
    OTOH, I think something like the Monster you are interested might be the way to go versus just getting a starter bike for the sake of just getting a bike.

Exactly;, I bought my Speed Triple as my first bike(although I also have a bit of dirt bike experience). I think a larger more powerful just makes the learning curve a bit longer. That said, if I was going with a true starter bike, I'd look long and hard at the new Ninja 300 SE with ABS. It's not terribly expensive and you would probably be happy with it for at least a couple of years.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    The little Ninja is on my list. I have sat on the new model, I like the lightness, and it has a slipper clutch. The price is attractive too, and if I buy through costco, I get a $250 gift card. I am also thinking about looking at the new Honda 500 models.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    was talking about cars with my son, and the issue of snow came up (he lives in snow country, on a steep hill), and he could get a ride in bad weather if needed. Mentioned that one roommate has a Land Rover. After some digging, it is a 2004, and "discovery" rang a bell. So, a 2004 disco.

The funny part, was that at random times, parts just fall off. One day, a headlight just popped out and hung on the wires. Owner borrowed duct tape to put it back in. After that the driver's door mirror just fell off, and also hung by the wires. Not sure if that got duct taped back on too.

Though not posing, since it seems the parents are actually loaded, and this was just a family hand me down.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    That's one sweet looking wagon!! Not my favorite color and too many wheels driving, but it's got the right number of pedals and that is what's hard to find!
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Duct tape? How 'bout some thread lock?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I don't know if a Disco makes one look rich, or just insane/stupid/masochistic. The older models have pretty much vanished from the roads now.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,697
    edited January 2013
    Nice wagon for those of you who want that RWD.

We just had our newly acquired wagon checked out by our mechanic this morning, who gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up. The inspection probably wasn't really needed, but I feel better knowing the mods that had been done were done properly.

And to that point, I actually did a search and found a thread on a BMW forum where the original owner was trying to sell the car (just a couple weeks ago). So the description had all the modifications he made to it (all of which he restored to stock other than the exhaust). I responded to his thread with news of our purchase, and he has since replied to see if I want to buy his winter set of wheels/tires for the car, which I may very well do.

Small online world.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    The grey 1984 318i with "high miles" looks fantastic for a car that old, other than the wear on the driver's seat.

The spoiler on that 528i is hideous.
    my goodness, that wagon is gorgeous. I would love having that. Though it would be hard to justify right now a really expensive car that was a stick.

other than no heated seats, that one is perfect. And I can live without the bun warmers if that is the only flaw.

we are talking college students here. Suprised they did not try to fix it with beer.

Thankfully, it does have heated seats. Like my 335, the buttons for those were moved up I believe starting in 2009.

agreed about the 318. If you have the ability to pull the engine and replace all the gaskets, certainly looks like a solid platform to work with. Probably overpriced since it has been sitting for 4 years, is not really usable, and the engine work will not be cheap. Plus it is only a 4 cyl.

also, once you have the engine apart, might as well go all the way and rebuild the whole thing.

could be a good option if you have a wreck with a strong low-mile engine to swap in. that could work.

I was talking about the gray RWD one in VA. that does not have heated seats.

Oh gotcha - got confused with all the BMWs in the discussion. :)

On the way into work after that pre-purchase inspection at our mechanic, my wife gets pulled over for speeding. Remember this is the same person who got the ticket in Texas on our roadtrip for going 90-something. To be fair, she was going 44 on a three lane road which for some reason has a 30 mph limit.

The officer took her information and then came back to the car and replied that she didn't want to ruin her new car experience by giving her a ticket on the first full day of owning the car. :D

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    So dealer finally secured a Leaf today. Wound up being a blue one, which will make my wife happy. They are getting it in tomorrow and we will pick it up Friday night.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,533
    E30---not familiar with old BMWs but are the ok'd ones good for that kind of milage?

4 banger--mush have been a good one, sold already.

88 BMW---new paint (coving what?). Strange noises? Scary.

76 BMW---wow, strut towers, floor pans, rockers. Whole lota rust goin' on.

99 BMW---now that's more like it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited January 2013
    84---overheats, unknown miles, won't pass emissions....what's not to like?

98---nice. If the drivetrain is solid with all this miles it might be a nice little cruiser.

94 vert---what's he hiding? But it is a convertible.

84---$1200 plus the possible cost of a new tranny. What's the total?

98---seems pretty pricey for a TMU.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Suprised they did not try to fix it with beer

Ever seen Rocket City Rednecks? In one episode they used empty beer cans in an armored car. Hilarious show.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    And to that point, I actually did a search and found a thread on a BMW forum where the original owner was trying to sell the car (just a couple weeks ago).

When I found that gorgeous Velvet Blue Individual E46 M3(with the horrid SMG box :mad: ) I inadvertently found the owner when I was searching for images of Velvet Blue BMWs to show my wife. One picture was from an M3 registry and the picture was of that exact car(I knew that because the page listed the VIN). Through that registry I was able to contact the original owner.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I met up with the previous owner of the wagon last night and bought his winter wheel/tire set, along with a few accessories he pulled from the car before trading (floormats, cargo tray, black kidney grills). Pretty good deal for both - I wanted those things anyway, got them much cheaper than buying new, and he has some extra space in his garage and is a bit richer.

Fun chatting with him - he's definitely more a VW/Audi guy and leased the 3 wagon before it was known the Golf R was coming over here. So, makes sense, with his lease about up, that he traded for the R.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to a loyal F-150 owner who is considering replacing his old truck. If you have owned F-150s, think it may be time to replace your aging truck and would like to share your story, please send your daytime contact info to [email protected] no later than Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.
    I don't know, this style just caught my eye.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/3551120523.html

Seems pricey even for that low milage. I saw one restored to showroom condition this summer and it was sweet. Edmunds says $1200 but that seems low.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    edited January 2013
    I don't know that I'd call that pricey, but any fancy car like that is bound to have expensive problems. At 60,000 miles, I might be tempted to offer $3,500 and settle for as much as $4,000 if I was really gung-ho about it.

I was just chatting about a 92 Cadillac Seville that my grandmother has, and Shifty was suggesting $1,800 on it. She wants $4,000, but I told her straight up she'd never get that out of it.

It looks nice, but I drove it tonight and it has some issues: vibration through the steering column - feels like maybe the tires are out of balance, and it pulls to the left. The handling is freakishly horrendous, but I guess that's just the way it handles because it feels nice and tight.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The question with an "elderly owned" car is did it sit for long periods of time? Those very low miles combined with a 22 year old car are a concern.

You know what I mean. Snow birds spend the winter in Florida, the car could have sat for 4 months every year.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Just read Nissan is dropping prices on the new Leaf --- TTAC--- but with a lease you are in good stead.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    We always joke on this thread that it is fun to spend other people's money. Well, I've been given the oppurtunity to. I have a friend living in Australia who wants a Shelby Mustang GT500. There's a company over there that handles the transportation, importing, & right hand drive conversion. He's got to pay them the money, and they'll wire the money from their account to the dealer's bank.

We found this 2012 GT 500 with just over 2000 miles at a dealer in Glenns Falls, NY.

Asking price of $47,493. I offered $42,000. Maybe they'll bite. We'll see. I'll keep you all informed.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Sweet.

Last year at the Chicago auto show, Ford had a 2012 GT 500 convertible on a dyno. Wow, it sounded awesome at full bore.
    Would be awesome to play with, but I think a Boss is easier to live with day in, day out.

Of course this is CCB. Buy it, and if you feel remorse, sell it tomorrow and then buy a Boss 302. :D
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is looking for a subcompact car owner or shopper to weigh in on what kind of impact a sleeker design, like the "Furia" concept released in Detroit, would have on their purchase decision. If you own or are looking for a subcompact car, and think a sleeker design would impact which car you buy, please send your daytime contact info to [email protected] no later than Monday, January 21, 2013 at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Would be awesome to play with, but I think a Boss is easier to live with day in, day out.

I see a '11 or so GT500 all of the time running around a small town near the lake we go to on the weekends. Who ever owns it treats it like his work beater. Every time I've seen it, it's covered in dirt, mud, and/or leaves and tree sap. Such a sad sight.
    Sad.

Drive it, sure, but take care of it. C'mon...
    edited January 2013
    "...could have sat for 4 months every year..."

Yeah, that's the other side of the low milage coin, isn't it?

My father bought a new 98 Lasabre and only put about 25k miles on it before he passed in 2001. The car mostly sat for the next few years until I bought if from my mother for my son in 2005. He still has it and except for the obligatory intake gasket replacement it has needed no unusual repairs. It has about 90k miles now and doesn't leak any fluids (which would be my main concern with a rarely used car).

I suppose you pays your money and you takes your chances. :lemon:

I was out playing in my Outback in about 6" of fresh snow today. But it'll sit most all summer, like the van currently is doing.
    "...Glenns Falls NY..."

That's GLENS Falls. Is the dealer Garvey or D'Ella?

That money exchange sounds like some kind of Nigerian Prince deal. Be careful.

I would be happy to drive that car to Australia for your friend if you like. :)

"...it will sit most all summer..."

If it's prepped right, sitting isn't necessarily a killer. But you never know what the other guy did.

I have two cars off the road until spring. One I did some prep on, the other I just start up every few weeks. We'll see in spring.

edited January 2013
    My mechanic told me to drive the Outback more in the summer. But around here, unless we are on the road somewhere, most of the miles are on the shoe leather and bikes. It's really time to get one new car and just sell these two, but I'm too cheap to get too excited about that plan.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Have been watching the auction for hours now and it's a great look see, they have some amazing rides and some of the prices they are fetching are mind blowing. Love the late '50's GM metal the best but seem to see more Chevys than Buicks, Pontiacs or Oldsmobiles for some reason and the Buciks and Ponti's from those years were just awesome. Ah, to just have a few hundred thousand sitting around would be wonderful to pick up a few of these babies. Man, I just love cars! :)

Mr. Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

had it on for a while tonight, but my wife got tired of it. Need to send her to bed so I can put it back on.

My BIL and SIL are out there for the weekend, so maybe you will see them on TV!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Mine just left the room once I turned it back on...she hates car stuff and only cares that her car works and has gas in it. So far, the car I liked best was that '58 light blue over light blue Chevy Impala vert...simply outstanding and it went for $130k I believe! They did an overhead shot and those suckers were pretty long, about as long as the Caddy's my mom drove from those years.

Approaching 10 pm now so it's time to hit the rack...luckily I can tune in again tomorrow and Sunday as I'll be a bachelor for a few days. Is this heaven or what!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I think stuff there goes for over the top prices for a few reasons. Auction fever, festival atmosphere, and some of these cars are so over the top restorations they don't represent a "normal" XYZ mobile.

remember a few weeks ago, I found a freaky Fiero with a snorkel and Buick V6, that was photo'd right around the corner from me? Same guy, same spot. Massive loss expected!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555463828.html

probably nicest in existence, and looks stock. Probably still overpriced!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555473750.html

my junk for your junk!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555900329.html

when the interior is rusted out, it is a bad sign.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555931824.html

a 245K SVX. what could possibly go wrong? Well, he knew, hence the spares listed.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3526113570.html

not many of these left.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555155403.html

oh my goodness, I want this. real bad. I wish I was one of you rich guys like oldfarmer or Andre that can have a fleet of fun toys. I also want to drive this on the street.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555995499.html

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    The significant price drop comes in the form of a new base model. Not sure how that is going to play out. Seems to me they were pretty smart about it the first time around. All of the doodads in this car serve a purpose for this type of car. For example, the nav that tells you where charging stations are and if you have enough capacity to reach one or your destination, or the heated steering wheel and seats that draw far less power than running the climate control (learned that one last night playing around with it on the drive home last night).

They are promising increased range though. So we'll see, could be a good upgrade if we want to lease another in 2 years. I gotta say, though, since I didn't test drive it myself, I have now discovered that the drivers seat sucks for me. Quite uncomfortable. And, with all of the content in this car, having such limited adjustment on it and the steering wheel is a crime.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

What's the conventional wisdom on that? Drive it once a week?
    Rececar---$190k plus LAWYER'S FEES? What did he do, run someone over with it?

88 Dodge---nice but not $8000 nice.

Junk4junk---looks like seller is cleaning out his yard. I do like the optimism of "shifts fine but no reverse".

Ford---oh that rust will buff right out.

SVX---looks nice but like you say...

Samurai---nicest I've seen. Up here they rusted pretty quick so the old ones are all scrap. Too bad the seller wants pretty close to MSRP. For $2k I'd buy it.

"...rich guys like oldfarmer..."

Yeah, I wish I had all my money too. :P

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    I'd so much drive that Conquest. 80s at its finest. I can hear Journey or Men at work blaring from the cassette deck.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve