Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Yeah, that's the other side of the low mileage coin, isn't it?

Almost 10 years ago, my folks bought a new Hyundai Sonata ... GLS, V6. Mom wanted one last "new" car (they had been buying used since '73).

Today, I'd be surprised if it had 30K on it. It's not been perfect - they had a problem where it wouldn't start that needed some repair work to fix.

Looks and runs great, for the most part.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Well.. I was actually driving in the '80s, and you wouldn't hear anything like that coming from my car.. :P

I think the Conquest might be the nicest one in existence.... and, probably worth half that.... but, if you really wanted it, what's a couple thousand?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    edited September 2012
    Those Chrysler Conquest/Mitsubishi Starion twins were the cool imports BEFORE imports were cool. I didn't know they were made as Dodges too.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Evidently, Plymouth as well.... at least according to Mystery Car Pix discussion a few weeks back...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    Why would Plymouth have needed a Conquest? Weren't almost all Chrysler dealers Plymouth as well? That is the way it was around here.

And what is wrong with Journey??? Men at Work I can understand!

If you wanted a Conquest, I could certianly see paying top dollar for a mint one. You would come out way ahead in the long run.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,533
    edited January 2013
    Even I would be wary of buying this one.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3556689748.html

I'd be tempted at half that price though.

Which is exactly what Edmunds says it's worth in outstanding condition. Less than $1k added for milage. Hummmmmm.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    edited January 2013
    2,800 miles in 10 years is about the annual mileage on my grandfather's car - a 1965 Pontiac Catalina - that he bought new when he was a sprightly 77 years old. He lived with my aunt and didn't really need a car or to maintain his drivers license, but it was was important for him to feel independent. When he passed away in 1984, the 19 year old car had 7,500 miles on the odometer and had never gone for more than a couple of weeks without the mandatory 15-20 mile drive with me along Lake Erie. I probably helped wash and wax that car with him 50 times over those 19 years, starting when I was 8. He left it to me, but given that I was just a couple of years out of college and living in an apartment, we sold it to a family friend for a few bucks. If I had kept that car stored away, I probably wouldn't trade it for a Porsche today just to have my own kids have a connection to my grandfather.

As for this 2003 Buick, it looks like it's also "sentimentally" priced.
    Funny you say that habitat. My Dad has a 1966 Corvette Roadster (numbers matching, 427/390) that he bought in 1974. Most of my adult driving life I always said that when I get it, I'll sell it & buy a Boxster S or a new Corvette. Now my plan (when it becomes mine) is to keep it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    aka went to the car show. Always makes me want a new car, but there really was not much that really got me revved up.

my wife did try out all the SUVs (I know she already got one, so this was out of order!). kept debating if she should have gotten something bigger, but at the end when we saw the RDX, it did not seem as small (cargo area) as we remembered. And she did like that one about the best, so she is still happy.

Oh, she actually thinks that MB owes her a car. We entered by the MB display, and she made a beeline toward an ML550. Gets in (not easy), and her name was on the radio display. She thought this was a sign from God that it was meant to be hers. I thought the 67K sticker said otherwise. Not sure it will work, but she expects to go back next Sunday when they were closing up and they will give "her" car back!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

liked some, not others.

Honda is winning me back. Obviously we liked the RDX, but I really loved the new accord (hated the prior generation), and the new Civic was very nice. Even had manual seats that had enough cushion tilt for me. And comfortable. The 2 reasons I did not buy a 2006. If it drives well, a winner.

and shockingly, the Acura RLX was extremely nice. Loaded, and comfy and roomy. I even liked the ILX. well equipped for the money.

My son was in love with a BMW 335ix in medium blue. Happened to have a 6 speed stick which called to me! Don't even want to know the price. There was a dark blue 328 wagon there that was gorgeous. Sports line (with sport seats), AT, but again, must have been 50K+.

New Forrester was nice, but could not get into it. Rav4 was a big improvement, and if it had been out we would have given it a drive and serious consideration.

fusion and Mazda6 seemed nice enough, but gigantic. What happened to being midsized?

One of the nicer packages (size/comfort/etc.) was the Jetta. Nice car.

ATS was tight in the back, and up front did not wow me, but need to drive one to decide.

and the new pathfinder seemed like a nice package if you need something bigger.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    edited January 2013
    That is the curse of all big time farmers/landowners like you. They are poor all their life and then die rich !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You must have seen a high end Jetta. The base models are so cheap.

DC show starts Feb 1 so I will cheek out the Pathfinder.

Hope the Forester is open by then.

Did you see the Corvette?
    jetta was an SEL. Nice seats.

Forester was on a turntable with a door open, and I managed to reach the hatch and open that. Was shocked when it started beeping at me, to find out it had a power hatch! what silliness on that car.

if the vette was there, I missed it, but we pretty much skipped the Chevy section.

I like my power sliding doors so I will take that power hatch. Handy when you're carrying something.
    "...poor all their life and die rich..."

That's called being land rich and dirt poor.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

power hatch on something small (and traditionally "minimalistic") like a Sube just seems wrong somehow.

and I need to keep my wife away from them, or she will decide she has to have that too. She is now totally addicted to the comfort access/push button start on the RDX. She always hated waiting for me to open the doors, and can never find her keys in her purse (or anything else, but that is another issue!)

Q, saw a leaf at the philly auto show today. Medium/light blue. Is that what you got?

pretty nice inside, and seemed comfortable enough. Lots of features. Good luck with it.

funny thing was, my wife was talking about one. She uses the RDX to go back and worth to work (3 miles, in traffic) so as with the odyssey, she gets crappy mileage (16s or so overall). One of these, or at least a hybrid like a volt, would make a ton of sense! that would get all the run around town use, and the RDX for longer runs and my spare car in the garage.

edited January 2013
    Finally, an old Toyota on CL that is only a little overpriced, not wildly. I like this one, because if you made it a 2 door 5 speed, I had this car. Same hood vent, same color and year. I kind of liked that car.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3558119148.html

everyone should have one of these. The corvair is for sale too I believe.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3507648170.html

a Samurai for OldFarmer

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3557794441.html

Paging Jim Rockford.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3526145628.html

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What's the conventional wisdom on that? Drive it once a week?

Yep, although who knows what the minimum time should be for the weekly outing.
    edited January 2013
    The 75 is actually a nice color combo. I'd buy it and drop an LS1 crate motor in (so it could keep up with a v6 Camry) and beat the snot put of it.

Look at the poor fit of the hood. Sometimes it is good they don't make them like they used to.

Forester has crept up in size and price, and with Eyesight has features we'd expect from Volvo.

They have the XV slotted below it in price, to compete with Juke and Outlander Sport.

The take rate on Eyesight has been surprisingly high in Japan. Seems people no longer want minimalistic.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I agree. The 2013 Accord is the closest we've seen to "old Honda" in a while. It drives great, gets 31 MPG in mixed driving, and is comfortable. I haven't driven a newer Civic but you can tell the interior is light years ahead of what we first saw in 2012. Now if they would just do away with the cylinder deactivation on the Odyssey.....
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    Why would Plymouth have needed a Conquest? Weren't almost all Chrysler dealers Plymouth as well? That is the way it was around here.

According to Wikipedia, it was marketed as the Dodge and Plymouth Conquest from 1983-86, and then for 1987-89, only as the Chrysler Conquest. Chrysler had a little in-house competition with the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser. However, for 1987, the Laser was dropped, leaving just the Daytona, so that's probably why they dropped the Dodge Conquest and at C-P moved it from a Plymouth to a Chrysler. Perhaps they figured that having just one sporty little coupe at Dodge and one completely different one at C-P was a better use of resources?

And yeah, I don't think there's been a stand-alone Plymouth dealer since 1959. If there were, they were very rare. Before 1960, Mopar dealerships were usually set up as Dodge-Plymouth, DeSoto-Plymouth, or Chrysler/Imperial-Plymouth. Some bigger stores combined brands, as well. I've heard that one dealer local to me used to be Plymouth/Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler/Imperial.

In 1960, Chrysler consolidated into two divisions: Chrysler/Desoto/Plymouth and Dodge. So that both divisions would have some sort of equality, that's why Dodge got the Dart, which matched Plymouth model-for-model. And for '61, Dodge got the Lancer, to counter Plymouth's Valiant. The Dodge Matador and Polara sort of equated to the Desoto Fireflite/Adventurer, and Chrysler's Windsor.

In some ways, that plan backfired on them, because the Dart outsold the big Plymouths that year, but at the same time, served to cheapen the brand. The big Polara and Matador weren't very popular. DeSotos weren't very popular either, as the almost identical Chrysler Windsor didn't cost much more than the Fireflite, and was cheaper than the Adventurer.

Also, with having Plymouths and Chryslers in the same showroom, Plymouth had to endure sort of a "glass ceiling", where their cars would never get too nice or upscale, because they didn't want to compete too directly with the Chryslers. Through the 1960's it worked fairly well, but when Ford came out with the LTD and Chevy the Caprice, I think Plymouth was a bit reluctant to push their own Fury VIP too aggressively. And then, in the 70's, when the personal luxury coupe craze caught on, Mopar would fight the Monte Carlo and Grand Prix not with a Plymouth, but with a Chrysler...the Cordoba.
    someday I need to stop in and take an Accord for a ride. Not that I will be in the market soon, but you never know.

and our 2005 had the cylinder deactivation, and it never bothered me. once in a while if you paid attention you could sort of tell it kicked in, but never bothered me.

our RDX has a fancy version (I think it runs on 2, 4 or 6?) and I honestly can not tell how many it is ever running on. They also got rid of the Eco light so you can't use that to try and "cheat". IMO, completely transparent now.

75 Corolla---that's not a bad price. Quick, buy it and flip it for $9k.

Tow truck---Xmas present for a CCBA member.

Samurai---I love that cloth top! Believe it or not that one looks better than some I've seen up here. A guy at work had one who's front fenders would literally "flap" in the wind.

Firebird---looks to be in nice condition but in 75 the 350 was so detuned I don't think it put out more than 160hp. Strictly a show car not a GO car.

the Corolla would be a whole lot better with a stick instead of the doggish 3 speed AT. Must be a total slug.

and having a rollback handy, that could be some serious enabling. I would need a pole barn like Andre to pull that off. Think of the mutts you could bring home!

and I have seen the Firebird listed in the past. Does look pretty nice, other than the odd hood fitment. Most of those around here are all rotted out, so check it over carefully. But a nice crate motor, and you could have a nice fun toy.

"...other than the odd hood fitment..."

Could that be due to removing the hood for painting? I've seen shows where the have to adjust the hood after putting it back on.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I remember browsing a Pontiac showroom in 1978 and seeing a Bandit Trans Am done up in black and gold. Looked at the msrp -- 8k -- way out of my budget !
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    I got an email today from the dealer I bought my Ram from. The subject header read "Are You Ready for a New Car?"

C'mon now, it hasn't even been four months yet, and already they're trying to seduce me?!
    they probably knew who they were dealing with.

I still get letters from Hyundai that they will offer top dollar for my 09 Genesis. If they only knew its long gone.

Meanwhile, we have strike number one on the Buick. I noticed some oil in the driveway yesterday. I immediately crawled under the 04 Merc. Bone dry. I look under the Buick, but nothing conclusive just a little residue on the CV boot. The wife just ran out and I went to check the driveway and a nice fresh puddle of oil. At least it's under warranty.

at least it is just a lease. so who cares, other than the stain on the driveway? Take it in, and get it fixed.

or just use it as the excuse to trade it in!

Did you make it to the convention center yet? Good way to see all the possible SUV options. There are a lot of them.

I have a blacktop driveway so no big deal. In all honesty I was happy it was the Buick. It won't cost me anything.

Hoping to get there one night this week. We will be seriously looking at SUVs, no better place to see everything.

Was not gonna, but could not pass up this first one. Of all things to find on NJ CL, this weirdo? Besides, I loved the spelling!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3559865114.html

not the best year, but with a fresh (likely much better performing) motor, a 4 speed, and the apparent condition, not a bad deal for the $

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3559842766.html

'Not the best year', may be the understatement of the year.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

yeah, but that was largely due to the strangled engines. That is why I mentioned the new GM crate motor. Looks pretty de-hosed under their too, so quite possibly this particular car has "cured" the anemia problem.

Other than that, I actually like the styling of that vintage, with the enduro style bumper covers, and the interior had not gone all star wars yet.

Ok so here is the $8000 question. The pristine Conquest or the slow Vette?

Both could be fun in their own ways.

edited January 2013
    Is it just me, or is that Corvette a plus sized model? Curvy and big boned?
    Conquest in a runaway for me. I drove a '75 Vette extensively in the mid-'80s.. No fond memories.. Don't even like the look..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Traded the 08 Ody and leased a 2013 Sienna. Interior isn't as nice as the Ody but it makes up for it in power and smoothness. Can't wait to take a trip.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    edited January 2013
    Yes, stick, the light-medium metallic blue. It was the launch color (all press pics and brochures feature it in that color). So far it's ok. Wife is being a bit reluctant to learn how to drive efficiently. But I drove the errands today with her riding shotgun and I think it helped showing her a couple of tricks.

It's odd feeling to drive. You see the mph ticking up on the dash but your senses are telling you that there isn't much going on. So you are over the speed limit before you know it and it really feels like the speedometer is just lying to you. You just expect more to be happening. More sound and fury. But it never comes. No revving, no shifting, no drama at all. Just silent and instant on power.

Well, I helped acquire 2 more cars yesterday. took my sis and BIL to Schwartz Mazda. I have to say, the outgoing mazda6 is quite nice. I think very pretty and a good size. They had a 2014 sitting on display and, yes, it seems huge.

Anyhow, we drove a 2013 mazda6 and 2013 mazda3. She picked steel blue and he picked silver. I laid out the numbers for the salesman, he took them to GM, came back and said congrats. What a nice experience. Sis was actually a bit disappointed she didn't get to watch me beat up a salesperson again, but I wasn't. Very pleased to work with a place that knows and admits my numbers are perfectly reasonable.

Sis was talking about driving over to Lester Glenn to rub their noses in it like the scene from pretty woman.

As a little bonus, the salesperson is having them send me a birddog fee. Unexpected and very nice.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Congrats! On the Sienna. Hopefully you'll have better luck with it than the '08 Odyssey! Another punch for 2013. What is that, #5?

I am much more a Conquest person than a Vette person. Or at least in my younger days. Based on my current experience with an Integra, I think I am now more of a Lexus ES person...

Yes anony, congrats. The Sienna seems pretty weird to me, but probably a nice family truckster.

we just went to the car show, and my wife was so happy to be able to just walk right past all the minivans without even glancing at them!

The Sienna seemed weird to us at first, too. Not many choices when you need a third row and don't like SUVs. We considered other vans but the only one we liked was a 2008-2010 Odyssey EX and they were still low $20's for one with decent miles. For not much more we got the Sienna with more power, warranty, and Bluetooth.

The Quest had good reviews but we aren't sure about the CVT and new Odysseys are out for several reasons. The Sienna was the best of all worlds. Maybe we will actually finish the lease in this one.
    Another punch for 2013. What is that, #5?

Somebody needs to keep track of all this and post periodic updates.

OK, since I'm an Ops Manager and data is my business, I'll volunteer.

Those of you who have punched in 2013 please send year, make model and date of purchase or lease.

Can send through this forum or can PM me (my email is in my profile).

What other data should we track? Trade-in? Color?

Every time there is a punch in 2013 I'll repost the whole list. Be interesting to see if a punch from early in the year is traded out before the end of the year.

(yes, I'm looking at you, anon...)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    Went bike shopping today, to the only bike dealer in the known world open Sundays. No ABS equipped Ninja 300 - there aren't any in the entire region. I wonder if there is a supply issue. I was also interested to see the new Honda CB500 series, but won't be in stock for a month or two, according to the manager. Sat on a KTM RC8 - I love that freakshow, and admired an anniversary edition GSXR. I want to wait til I see that Honda before I make a decision - but there's still a Ducati in my head.

Also visited a MB dealer, nothing struck my fancy enough to want me to take on a car payment. The E55 continues to behave perfectly, 22mpg today which included a bit of light to light hops, continues to be smooth and powerful as ever. Both a MB salesman and the newbie bike salesman I chatted with complimented the car. Best part, it's long since paid for.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    edited January 2013
    Other than that, I actually like the styling of that vintage, with the enduro style bumper covers, and the interior had not gone all star wars yet.

My favorite is the 1973- the smooth endura nose with the twin chrome rear bumpers. The thing about Corvettes is that their collectors obsess over "matching number" cars, so you can get a good deal on a Vette that has had an engine swap- provided that it has been performed correctly, of course.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I've reviewed the posts from the last few weeks, and this is what I've been able to piece together regarding the punches for 2013.

Please let me know if any of my information is incorrect in any way .. steine, I can't seem to find the date you got the Cruze ....

1/xx/13 steine13 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS (lease)
    1/08/13 breld 2011 BMW 335xi sedan
    1/15/13 breld 2010 BMW 328xi wagon
    1/18/13 qbrozen 2013 Nissan Leaf (lease)
    1/19/13 anon 2013 Toyota Sienna (lease)
    I am still in awe of Breld. 2 nice BMWs in 1 week? I nearly lost my mind (and wallet..) with 3 punches in 2012, and one of those was only $2,500, and another was only about $800 net OOP!