Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Congrats on the new sled...sounds about perfect for your needs. I've been following you and Gee's purchases/leases over the years and have lost count...at this point I've figured about 25 cars/vans give or take! I really enjoy all your posts and all the fine vehicles over the years and I wouldn't mind any one of them in my garage! Since I've been an Edmunds member, my total has been 3 vehicles for me and 2 for my better half so I always get a kick with each new punch y'all make. This will be your 1st Toyota van...correct?

Mazel tov with the new arrival!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    I watched a good bit of coverage since last Tuesday. I found a lot to love earlier in the week as most of those were nice 'drivers' and not over restored trailer queens. I can appreciate the cars on Friday and Saturday nights but man, is the money just ridiculous.

I've watched the coverage for years now and it has really gone downhill. To many other things going on..."social garage" etc. Just show me the cars please. I timed it and it took 20 minutes one night to show the first car on the block from the time the broadcast came on.

And if I never hear Craig Jackson break into a bid and remind me that this is "the opportunity of a lifetime" or Steve Davis tell me this car is "the best of the best right here" it will be too soon.

Maybe another network should pick up another auction during that weekend.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I nominate the Accord to be added.... We signed for it on 12-23.... Close enough to 2013?

Sandman: we've lost count too. Each time we say, "we are keeping this car"... Although the recent moves were prompted by the new baby. Up to that point, we were content with the Prius and Tiguan. It is our first Toyota van, hoping for the best.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    Firetruck---that would get you noticed. You could consider a used hearse as well.

Vette---nice. I wonder the hp rating on that new 350.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

"...not the best year, may be the understatement of the year..."

Either the 75 or the 76 only had 165hp. That's shockingly bad from a 5.7L.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I nominate the Accord to be added.... We signed for it on 12-23.... Close enough to 2013?

I'm no stickler for protocol ... here's the updated list. Anon, what trim level is the Accord? Buy or lease?

12/23/12 anon 2013 Honda Accord
    01/xx/13 steine13 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS (lease)
    01/08/13 breld 2011 BMW 335xi
    01/15/13 breld 2010 BMW 328xi wagon
    01/18/13 qbrozen 2013 Nissan Leaf (lease)
    01/19/13 anon 2013 Toyota Sienna (lease)

If y'all can give me the information, I'll be happy to include the 2012 punches in a separate list (stick, this means I'll get your 2 ... or 3 ... or 4 punches .. do we count 2 RDX's?).
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    edited January 2013
    For some reason, Pontiac never seemed to put much effort into performance for their 350 engines. Usually it was the 400 or 455 (or in later years the 301 turbo) where they put the most effort.

Pontiac's 350 came out in 1968, with either 265 or 320 hp. I'm guessing one was a 2-bbl and the other was a fairly hot 4-bbl. In '69 it had 265, 325, or 330 hp. In '70 it was just a 2-bbl 255 hp version. By the time they went to net hp, it was down to 160 hp in '72.

There was a 200 hp 350 in 1974, which I guess could be called somewhat "hot", as the 2-bbl only had 155 hp, and the base 4-bbl had 170. I think this was the engine they used in the Nova/Ventura-based GTO.

At some point, the 350-4bbl was only offered in California/high altitude areas. Not sure when that started, but my '76 LeMans is one of those. I'm not sure how much hp my car has, though. My Consumer Guide auto encyclopedia lists it at 165 hp, but the big blue "Motor's" repair manual lists it at 175. The 2-bbl 49 state engine was 160.

As for 1975, that year's 350-2bbl put out 155 hp. The 4-bbl was 175. Pathetic by today's standards, but pretty par for the course in the mid 70's
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    "Either the 75 or the 76 only had 165hp. That's shockingly bad from a 5.7L."

As Jeremy Clarkson would say, "how do they get so little power from an engine?" :P
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats on the new Lotus Evora wagon. ;)
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited January 2013
    "Either the 75 or the 76 only had 165hp. That's shockingly bad from a 5.7L."

As Jeremy Clarkson would say, "how do they get so little power from an engine?" :P

Probably because SMOG controls probably resulted in a 350 that could only spin 4k rpm. I'm sure the torque output was good for the time. But since HP is just a calculation based off torque output, if you limit the RPM or if the torque output drops off quickly at higher rpm, you will severely limit HP.

The 350 is one of my favorite GM engines. It's a strong, reliable, and flexible engine overall.

I'm impressed with the 300hp 350 in my boat. It has good torque, and doesn't seem to mind being pushed. It feels like it can run 4k rpm all day. Though it does start to sound a bit strained around 5k rpm, but it will run 5,200 rpm.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I am still in awe of Breld. 2 nice BMWs in 1 week? I nearly lost my mind (and wallet..) with 3 punches in 2012, and one of those was only $2,500, and another was only about $800 net OOP!

We're kinda in awe ourselves that these vehicles came available in such a close timeframe to each other, much less locally.

I'm not suggesting that we didn't lose out economically by trading in the A5 and X3 after short ownerships, but since they were such nice cars, it was essentially a net $0 OOP to get out of those "ordinary" cars and into our "dream" BMWs. Nice deal.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

"...much effort into performance..."

Didn't Pontiac have a 6cyl. In the late 60s that put out 215hp? I think they put it in the firebird. Not bad for a 6.

The mid to late 70s was dismal all around.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Didn't Pontiac have a 6cyl. In the late 60s that put out 215hp? I think they put it in the firebird. Not bad for a 6.

That would be the OHC Sprint motor. A really nice engine, but unjustly overshadowed by the mega-horsepower V8s of the period. Read more here.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    C+D actually put one of those in an E-Type Jag.
    - Ray
    Oddity, indeed.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Yeah, it started life in 1966 as a 230 CID engine, offered in the Tempest/LeMans, with 207 hp. For 1967, it went to 215 hp and was offered in the Firebird as well. For '68 it was stroked to 250 CID, but still with 215 hp. For 1969, it peaked out at 230 hp.

Those were very good numbers, for a 6-cyl. Most of them only put out around 140-155 hp.

And, while those were gross numbers, that 215-230 hp probably translates to around 140-160 net. So, still in range of what some ~350 CID engines were putting out in the mid-70's.

I've heard that the OHC-6 tended to go through timing belts every 20-30,000 miles. But other than that, I haven't heard anything bad about it. I'd imagine it's an interference engine though, so that could throw a wrench into things, if you're not religious about changing those belts!

And, I wonder if the problem with the belts was that, simply, the material wasn't as good in those days? If you had one of those engines today, I wonder if the improved materials would yield a longer lasting belt? Or, was it just something about the engine that was hard on them?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    1975 was not the high water mark.

but compared to the L6 Gremlin and Toyota Corolla I had (both '75s) I am sure the Vette still sounded and felt like a rocket ship.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I think I hit 2 milestones today on my last "punch". I believe the Integra is now officially with me for 1 month (I had it a week longer I think before I could get to the DMV to register it). So consider it a 1 month anniversary.

and I hit 100 miles on it today! At the pace I am going, it might be the Ides of March before I need to put gas in it again (does gas spoil like milk?)

Add some sta-bil to your gas to help it last longer.
    It's a small tank, and I never let it get that low. I think I can get by without it.

driving my "old fashioned" car (a MY 2000 is old fashioned, right?) I realized how used to some features I have become.

it is a shock to not have keyless entry (let alone comfort access/push button start, which my wife is now addicted to), an outside temp gauge, radio that tells you what song is playing, stereo controls on the steering wheel, TPM (I absolutely love this!), auto lights, a trip computer with multi functions, and probably some more stuff that I am forgetting. And other than the TPM and push button start, my '07 Volvo has all the other stuff.

I need my luxury darned it. Plus a car that is not 3" off the ground. You know how hard it is to haul an old carcass out of a low slung bolstered sports seat?

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    My 04 is completely loaded for its time, but yes there are some newer things I miss.

Cooled seats
    XM
    Nav
    TPMS
    Back up cam/parking sensors
    #1 though is Bluetooth!

In the spring I'm installing a Navigation/XM/Bluetooth unit. This will help out a lot.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

some of those I have never had, and don't really care all that much (cooled seats and Navi). I don't even use AC much, and am fine with a garmin.

Bluetooth is nice, but in the RDX I never sync my phone. My daughter sometimes streams to it though.

I forgot the back up cam. Love that on the RDX.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    edited January 2013
    I'm with you stickguy. I love my 2001 Prelude Type SH. It is lightweight, tossable, & has a slick shifting 5 speed manual transmission.

My BMW has pretty much everything: Automatic Dual Zone Climate Control, 3 Stage Heated Front Seats, Leather, Heated Steering Wheel, Navigation, Bluetooth, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Trip Computer (with avg speed, avg mpg, & distance to empty), smart cruise control, power folding mirrors, auto leveling Bi-Xenon headlights that swivel, automatic transmission, a sophisticated (rear wheel drive based) AWD system, traction control, stability control, power seats, iPod integration...

The BMW is also a fantastic driving car & is perfect as my daily driver. My only problem with it is that my wife has a set of keys to it too (good thing I leave before everybody gets up). I'm glad I only drive the prelude when I WANT to now.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I think we are spoiled.

My house doesn't have keyless entry.

My sofa is not heated or cooled. No power adjustments either.

Bluetooth? LOL.

Single zone A/C and heat at home, not dual, much less 3 zone like my van.

The doors at home do not open and close with power sliders.

Lights do not swivel in the direction I'm heading, though at least they are equipped with motion sensors.

So basically our vehicles are better equipped than our houses.
    Either one will stand out on cruise night.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3562937204.html

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2013
    The doors at home do not open and close with power sliders.

I have a wide shed where I keep the mower and garbage cans and stuff. It has a sliding barn door which is real handy this time of the year, since I can just move one shovel's width of snow to get it open.

Back to the topic, I've changed houses twice as many times (4) in the last 15 years as cars.
    "...I need my luxury..."

Just more stuff to break down. :lemon:

There's something to be said for the simplicity of a 88 van with no AT, no AC and no radio (broke last year). Nothing but a man and his thoughts.

Here's the funny thing - for me it depends on the car.

My new Miata has a bunch of new features I never use. I miss the simplicity of the old one. It was lighter, more pure. I dunno, hard to explain.

For the van I want EVERYTHING. Power shoe polisher, even.
    I would be insulted if I got shoved into a ratty old buick for my final car ride!

I don't need "everything". Just some comfort, and the "basics" as I now see them.

I can live with less than what the RDX has. maybe.

My first new car out of college had only a few requirements:

* manual trans
    * tachometer
    * A/C
    * cassette player

That's it!

Now I want a back massager, heating seats and steering wheel, and an accelerator pedal that gives me foot rubs. LOL
    heck, I bought a new 1985 Colt that did not have the AC or the radio. It did have the other 2 items.

I think it came with no radio. I do know that I had one put in, but i suppose that could have been an upgrade?

I am sure about the AC though! Also had no PS, and man, did it handle good. Don't get steering like that anymore.

maybe instead of electric PS, just skip power all together, and save more gas?

A lot of cars were only pre-wired for stereos back then.

Cars are heavier and a typical FWD has about 60% of the weight on the front axle, so people would complain about it being hard to park.

My wife owned a Mirage with no power steering, so I've driven those. Fine at speed, but a pain in a parking lot.

I would reach over and help her with 3 point turns, so I was the "power steering" for her.

Really notchy shifter on those, was yours like that?
    I like bluetooth and a nice screen interface where you can safely and conveniently control the phone, radio, ipod, etc. I also really like blind-spot monitoring, which I had on the CX-9, but haven't had since. And that "silly" power tailgate on the Odyssey that I didn't care about? I don't know if I'd get another van without it.

For my E39, I added one of those bluetooth speakers that clips on to the visor - it works pretty well, especially for $40. I also added an interface for my iPhone/iPod to connect to the existing stereo, as well as a nice mount that secures the iPhone so I can dial calls easily.

My wife's wagon is at the BMW dealer getting Satellite (Sirius) "installed." It's all prewired, but you have to pay for a "code" and reprogramming. She didn't have the option on her X3, so she's pretty excited about it. She loves the old-time radio station on Sirius - where they air old mysteries and thrillers (i.e., the Whistler). She also loves TCM - before I married her I was only faintly aware that there were movies before the '70's :P .

Do you have Sirius radio at home?
    No - we had the "on-line" account for awhile where you can access Sirius radio anywhere through the internet, but we didn't use it all that much.

At home, we actually don't listen to music that often, and when we do, the music channels through our cable provider seem to be just fine.

I never cared all that much about Sirius/XM until I had a free trial, and I got used to having the variety of music channels, along with sports and comedy (which of course, is exactly the point of the free trial).

edited January 2013
    I used to stream this old time radio site (Antioch). They broadcast shows that aired on the same day, umpteen years ago. Fun but after a while all the organ fanfares get to you. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    My first new car out of college had only a few requirements:

* manual trans
    * tachometer
    * A/C
    * cassette player

My first new car (after flunking out of college... twice) didn't have A/C or a cassette player...

The 2nd new car didn't have A/C or a cassette player, either...

My first car with A/C was an '84 model that I bought in 1990, when I was 32... (it also had a cassette... ;) )

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Hmmm .. first car I bought with my own money ('79 Pontiac Sunbird) had a 4-speed manual and no A/C. I think it had power steering and brakes. I installed an aftermarket AM/FM/Cassette (Kraco!).

My first car out of college ('85 Accord LX) had A/C, cruise, cassette. Can't remember if it had power windows. Might have had power mirrors.
    Honestly, this long after, I don't remember details, but I don't remember it ever bothering me. This was also my first FWD stick (though I did drive my parents Omni, and it was way better than that!)

It did have the best handling (stick) I had ever experienced. That had more to do with the gumball tires I guess, but you could take off ramps at ridiculous speeds. Probably a good thing, because with 68 HP, you needed to maintain momentum at any cost!

They were feather weights so that's not as little as it sounds.

Hard to find cars under 3k pounds now.
    edited January 2013
    "...no power steering..."

Had a 1980 dodge omni w/o power steering and never missed it except those few times I had to parallel park.

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Add me to the list....

12/17/12 mark156 2013 Honda CR-V EXL w/nav (purchase)
    12/23/12 anon 2013 Honda Accord
    01/xx/13 steine13 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS (lease)
    01/08/13 breld 2011 BMW 335xi
    01/15/13 breld 2010 BMW 328xi wagon
    01/18/13 qbrozen 2013 Nissan Leaf (lease)
    01/19/13 anon 2013 Toyota Sienna (lease)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    an Omni and my Colt were a breeze.

Now, the 1969 Volvo 140, that took some muscle. Even worse was the parking brake. There were days when me or my Dad put it on, and my mom or sister couldn't get it off, and had to call for help!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    edited January 2013
    Got to drive a Ford Edge, Ford Focus, Jeep Liberty and a Nissan Altima at my new job today. Was tons of fun and though the Focus tranny was a bit crazy and the seat fabric was horrible, a nice little runabout which I could see in my garage next time around. The Liberty accelerated like crap...kept downshifting, but the power drivers seat was heaven sent and it had the best steering wheel of the bunch! But would never purchase one. The Edge was just not my cup of tea...and larger than I like...the seats were just too low for me on their highest settings, but a power throne might solve this issue. The Altima was a great all around car...and it was the last generation to! Comfy power driver seat, great fabrics and interior and that 4 banger kicked some serious butt on I-95 when I could pass others. I really liked it.

I did learn something today...and just called the wife who's at my middle kid's house for a couple of days...my next, and last, vehicle will have a power seat...I won't settle for anything else anymore! With my spinal issues, I learned today that with the power seat manipulated in such a way, I can drive, I think, for stretches of time with much less spinal pain than in my everyday car. Having a power seat makes all the difference in the world!

Hoping to drive a Fuzion and many others next time they call me in to work! This is my dream job which I knew, in time, that G-d would provide for me. It was such a fun day, though very exhausting and my spine really hurts right now, but I can't wait till I go in again! The wife's happy that I'll be out of the house more and making some extra $. And I think it's time I got back into the world, talking and laughing with people after being home since October of 2010 when Uncle Sam showed me the door and told me "to get lost"! This is a good thing!!! Thank you G-d up above for this wonderful opportunity!!! :)

The Forever Thankful Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

A reporter would like to speak to someone who is going to be in the market for a new car in the next few months because their lease is expiring. If you fit this description, please email your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com by Friday, January 25, 2013 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

(congrats Mark!)
    well, sounds good. I must have missed the news. I assume you got a job doing dealer swaps? Or are you a runner for a chop shop?

and I love a power driver's seat. There are very few fully adjustable manual seats these days, and I really like to sit with the front cushion tilted up. Can't do that with the ratchet up dump seats.

actually, the driver's seat is the reason I ended up with a Accord back in 2005, instead of a new design 2006 Civic (or a Mazda 3).

with this crowd, much easier to find someone that is trading out of a lease well before the end of the term. Not sure anyone on the lease hamster wheel ever get to the end!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Congratulations on your new job! It sounds like a lot of fun.
    Rare bird, but one of a kind "hotrodded"

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3565114074.html

has "needs" = can't get there from here. run, Forrest run.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3564993535.html

Rusty rockers on a Porsche is no big deal, right?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3537198542.html