Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    stick - why are you trolling cl at midnight?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    what else am I supposed to do, go to bed?

I was watching legendary motorcars, and just stayed on into Graveyard Carz. yes, I am a junky.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Wow! Sandman! New Job! :shades: Give us the details! Congrats!

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Few is a pretty vague term. The lease is up on my BMW in September 2014. That's a few months;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ha, 8 months is forever around here. You can always do an early return. :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    My first vehicle had no radio at all, no AC, no PS, no PB, no power anything at all. At least not when I bought it. Oh, and it had 32x12" tires, so you had to really put your back into steering it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

So, I know what they mean about "range anxiety" now. I drove the Leaf to work yesterday. After finally getting here, I was a bit concerned about the trip home. It showed I was on target for about 77 miles on the charge. It is 29 miles to work and the car was showing 48 left to travel. However, it was showing just half the battery capacity left (6 bars out of 12). Although, temps below 30 are supposedly the worst conditions for an electric car. Range is greatly reduced. And we are below 20 degrees this week in NJ in the morns. So its a harsh test.

I started the warmup like 20 mins before leaving the house with it plugged in and then drove the whole way with climate control off. Have warm socks to do this! I drove the speed limit, which I never do, and took all the backroads, which are half 50 mph and half 40 mph. Seems to me that getting up to speed at a good pace is better than creeping up to speed. I would see 2 to 3 miles disappear off the range when accelerating slowly, while rapid acceleration and then coasting would see 0 to 1 mile decrease.

Where I saw the biggest decrease was on the 50 mph road. The range just kept dropping quickly. When I left the house, it read 102 miles. By the time I had travelled 15 miles at 50 mph, it was down to 50 miles left. But that's where speed limits dropped to 25 to 40. So the rest of the way it stayed right around 50 until I got to work, and then dropped to 48 as I parked.

When I left work, it was reading 45. I now discovered the biggest problem driving it in the cold ... I couldn't pre-warm it and I couldn't use climate control and be confident I'd still make it home. This time, since it used so little in the lower-speed areas, I drove BELOW the speed limit in the 50 mph zone. This is SO HARD for me to do! Luckily, I had nobody behind me. It was a cold and long drive home, but I made it with 12 miles of range to spare. So could I have used the climate control for a little while? Maybe. Could I have driven the speed limit on the way home? Possibly. Could I have done both? Probably not. Will I drive it in 20 degree weather again? Hell no.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    "...forever thankful..."

Is that the transporter job? Great! Tell us more.

To get paid to basically test drive new cars is indeed the dream job.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Rare bird---so rare it flew the coop and got flagged.

72 MB---$4200 for a broke down bucket with a brake pump that has a "liking"? Sounds great.

911---he's not in a hurry to sell...but he oughta be. Are those old 911 worth that kind of money in THAT condition? Must have been driven in winter to rust like that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

"...a cold and long drive home..."

I have to put up with that kind of suffering on my $900 van but why you would do that on a new car that you paid money for is beyond me. Even my van will have heat if I run it long enough, especially if I whack the heater fan motor with a stick to get it off the dead spot.

Do you think of Al Gore to keep you warm? :P

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,134
    The fractured ESL ad copy for that old SL makes my head hurt. It's roughly a 10K car in nice condition, and you can't get there from here for 5K.

It does appear to be a very early car anyway, I wonder about the serial number - wouldn't add value, just curiosity.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited January 2013
    Oh yeah, I forgot to supply the date; it was

01/11/13 steine13 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LT (lease)

I'm mentioning the "LT" because it's a different engine... so if anyone wants to know about the 1.4 l mill, ask away... it's in several of their cars now...

BTW, it appears that email addresses are not visible anymore in ppls profiles.

We used to have a choice about that.

Cheers -Mathias
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My work garage has 2 charging stations, but they're shared. So far 2 people use them, so they're usually taken.

Thing is, by rule you have the leave the keys in the car, so if you are fully charged up they can have security move your car and charge theirs. So you have to be open to sharing and others possibly moving your car.

The good news is they subsidize it to get some tree hugger Al Gore is your friend green building certification, so cost is about 1/3rd of what you would pay at home.

So q can search for those or hope they're adding to his work garage.
    I'm mentioning the "LT" because it's a different engine... so if anyone wants to know about the 1.4 l mill, ask away... it's in several of their cars now...

Thanks .. here is the updated punch list:

12/17/12 mark156 2013 Honda CR-V EXL w/ nav
    12/23/12 anon 2013 Honda Accord
    01/08/13 breld 2011 BMW 335xi
    01/15/13 breld 2010 BMW 328xi wagon
    01/18/13 qbrozen 2013 Nissan Leaf (lease)
    01/19/13 anon 2013 Toyota Sienna (lease)

Anybody want to make a prediction as to how many punches we'll have as a group by the end of the year?

stick, you know you're ready to dump the Integra for something more comfy.

And yes, I am curious about the 1.4T in your Cruze. I did a short test drive of a Sonic sedan with the 1.4T/6-speed manual and thought it was pretty peppy and pretty quiet.

What kind of driving do you do, and what kind of mileage are you seeing?

Wife is interviewing for that new job where she will be doing more driving, and think that a low cost (or one pay) lease of something like this could make sense.

The alternative is for her to drive the CX-7 (20MPG + 91 octane).
    Well, you could just figure 7 on the month would extrapolate to 84 on the year. But I'm sure it will slow considerably. I'll say 28.

I'd go higher, maybe 40 or so.

I say we keep building that list, and only drop off the old ones after the purchase was more than a year ago.

anon- you're the current champ. Which new car has surprised you more?
    Farmer, it was a 2004 Camry 4 door with a stick shift, and some "mods" (strut tower brace, and other odds and ends, including a giant subwoofer in the trunk).

just and odd combo, and in the ad, the guy practically begged whoever was flagging him to stop doing it. I saw nothing in the ad to justify it, so maybe it was a grudge?

Q, exactly why I said it would make plenty of sense for what I use it for, but I did not see it for you.

I would not handle the range anxiety well. I won't let my car go below 1/4 tank (just in case) and leave for the airport 3 hours early (never know when there will be traffic!) So playing battery bar roulette is not for me.

now, driving probably less than 5 miles from my house at most, takes that out of the mix.

There is a new Leaf driving around town where I live. Sorta Juke-like from the front, more contemporary hatchback everywhere else.

Except no tail-pipe!

Not sure I could do a Leaf for the pizza delivery. Lots of start and stop, and my shifts run anywhere from 2 to 4 hours (or, put another way, 50 to 80-90 miles). A Volt, OTOH, might work pretty well.

But no way am I dropping $30K or more just to deliver food. I'd like to think I can retire from the 2nd job someday.

2013 punches --- 28? 40? Exactly how many of us are there on this board that post regularly? I admit that 7 in 5 weeks is a lot, but it seems like extraordinary circumstances cropped up.

I'm going to be more conservative with my guess and say 15-17 for the year.
    no way am I dropping $30K or more

FWIW, the new base model lowered the price, and with federal $7500 credit and $2000 more here in MD, the base retail price is just $20,250.

And that's before wheeling and dealing.

Not bad - it's cheaper than a Prius or Civic hybrid now.
    I will take 25. I should be good for 2, assuming I can count whatever my son ends up getting (since we likely will help, and he is part of the fleet now!). and I highly doubt I keep what I have now when that happens.

edited January 2013
    just heard from my BIL that his S2000 is going to be available in a couple months. Whatever the first year was (he got one of the very fist in the country). If you want one, this is it. Low miles, babied, never seen rain. Like new, completely stock.

I will pass, for a few reasons ($$ of course, and frankly it is a bit tight for me!). Mostly $$.

Not sure yet what he is getting instead (he has been fixated on Porsche turbos and Cobra kit cars recently). I asked if he bought something at B-J (he was just there for the auction) and he said sort of, not exactly.

turns out, he bought a superformance mkIII cobra. already built, with only 540 miles on it. Can't wait to hustle a drive of that!

Wow, nice fleet...
    You don't want to know the rest of it...

I've updated my master tracking document to include the guesses from each of us.

Punch guesses:
    Michaell 15-17
    Stickguy 25
    Qbrozen 28
    Ateixeira 40 (or so)

Also, had a long talk with the wife today about her new job opportunity. She's not keen on having more cars than drivers (right now we're balanced at 3 of each), so it seems that a low cost lease is out.

But, depending on how much she drives and the costs and reimbursements associated with it, I suppose we could revisit the issue!
    You can take off the or so part, I say 40.

If we are at 38 I could buy the last 2 cars myself. What a great excuse to buy cars!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Someone is test driving the Legend, right now.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    I think we should have a list of calendar year 2012 Punches separate from the calendar year 2013 punches. 3/22/12 I leased a 2011 BMW 328xi.

My prediction is 38 for the year

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Looks like I have a deal for full asking price! :surprise:

Meeting at the county clerk's office to transfer it on Saturday..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    Nice! What are you getting to replace it? :P
    Hopefully, nothing.. But, you know that goes. When it's gone, we'll still have three cars for three drivers..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Seems nice but that seems pricey. What say you?

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3531014400.html

well, my initial impression was too expensive, but that one does look super nice, and the GT-S is the model too have. Too bad about the AT though...

but, if you want one, that looks like the one to have. maybe you can shave a bit off, but if you want one for 1/2 that price, expect a rat.

"...I can retire from the 2nd job..."

As someone who's had 2 jobs since 1984 I hope you get your wish. So many people aren't willing to work even one job any more. My hat is off to you.

I forget, what car do you use for the delivery job. I was going to suggest to my son a similar job but he drives a Buick LaSabre. His 3.8L can get 30mpg on long trips but local delivery would be less.

edited January 2013
    "...low miled, babied, never seen rain..."

You're singing my song. Is this the guy in Amsterdam? I might be up for a drive.

The S2000 rides like a school bus and I'd have to get in with a shoe horn but that's one heck of a Honda.

at this point, to keep the fleet afloat I might need to be looking for a 2nd job. Really couldn't see being a delivery guy though.

what I really need is a job I can do from home during the day, while I am getting paid to do my "real" job. There is always some down time in there, that I should be able to use more productively than watching episodes of Graveyard Carz and wheeler dealers off the DVR!

the shoehorn part (and pinchy side bolsters) along with the low slung aspect are what put me off it. Well, that and coming up with the $. I did ask if he would do BHPH but he did not bite!

But, yeah, this is in Amsterdam. And he is OCD about cars, so I can guarantee if you want one of these, this one should be high on the list!

silver over the red leather. Probably about 30K on the clock, if that. And "in the wrapper" as the saying goes.

not sure of the price though, but not expecting it to be cheap. And he did give my over BIL (his brother) dibs too. That one said he is interested, but I cant possibly see it working logistically or financially for a bunch of reasons. Plus, he is a big guy, and I am not sure 6'1", at least 240 is going to work too well in that!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    "what I really need is a job I can do from home during the day, while I am getting paid to do my "real" job."

Just outsource your own job overseas like this guy did.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,384
    There are 5 Leafs that park in the garage where I leave my C30 across the street from my apartment -- they are there in the morning when I leave for work but gone when I get home at night, so I assume they are commuters either for the express bus to downtown Seattle or for the business district near my apartment.

Either way, I seem to be seeing them all over around Seattle. More hybrids as well, but no surprise there. Like you, Stick, I never let either of the cars in the fleet get below 1/4 of a tank and leave home to get to the airport so I have 2 hours when I get there. The range anxiety thing is not something I'd be willing to deal with.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    I looked up that vehicle here on Edmunds. You said it was the first model year which means it's a 2000MY with 30k miles. In outstanding condition Edmunds say private party is slightly over $7500. That's not a bad price. It actually seems low relatively speaking. I mean people are asking $8k for a 2000 Celica.

I wonder if the electric company would understand me not paying the bill for a few months?

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,377
    Put me down for an even 30. I will even contribute one myself. The lease on my 328i coupe is up at the end of the summer so I'll be in the market, but aren't we always??

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    One will be mine.
    - Ray
    Lease up on the BMW
    before year end...
    2022 X3 M40i
    My pizza delivery car is an '06 Saturn ION with 83K miles. Cosmetically not in the greatest shape but everything works and I get 23-25 MPG in what is mostly city driving.

As far as second jobs go, this one isn't too bad. $5.25/hr plus tips plus $.75 for each delivery. Over 4.5 years I've averaged $16.49/hr all in. Not too many jobs where you work 10-15 hours a week at that pay rate. I'm averaging about $565/mo in tips + delivery fee alone ... the $5.25/hr pay goes directly into a savings account.

We have a new driver at work who alternates between a Ford F-150 and a 4-door Jeep Wrangler (jacked up on what look to be 33-35" tires). I gotta believe the LeSabre will get better mileage than either one of those.

I've separated the punch list into 2012 and 2013 ... so, I'll need y'all to tell me about what you bought / leased and when you acquired it. I know andre got the Ram last year ... and breld the X3 and A5. Need specifics and dates.

Updated Information (along with more punch guesses for 2013):

2012 Punch List:
    03/22/12 nyccarguy 2011 BMW 328xi (lease)

2013 Punch List:

Punch guesses:
    Michaell 15-17
    Stickguy 25
    Qbrozen 28
    Au1994 30
    Nyccarguy 38
    Ateixeira 40
    edited January 2013
    hmmm... 2012... I think that was a light year after 4 in 2011 and 5 in 2010. Only the '98 Volvo. I'm not sure the exact date. It was September.

EDIT: oops. I was wrong. It was August 5, according to my post in this forum.

edited January 2013
    Added q's Volvo to the 2012 punches:

2012 Punch List:
    08/05/12 qbrozen 1998 Volvo S70

2013 Punch List:

Punch guesses:
    Michaell 15-17
    Stickguy 25
    Qbrozen 28
    Au1994 30
    Nyccarguy 38
    Ateixeira 40
    That engine NEEDS the stick, if any car does.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    We had 4 in 2012:

2/15/12 2012 BMW X3
    2/28/12 2009 Honda Odyssey
    7/31/12 2011 Audi A5
    8/20/12 2007 VW Beetle (for daughter)

I do have a goal to stick with the 2 we've already bought in 2013 and leave it at that.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Thanks, breld! You planning on attending the Denver Auto Show this year?

Added breld's punches from 2012:

2012 Punch List:
    02/15/12 breld 2012 BMW X3
    02/28/12 breld 2009 Honda Odyssey
    07/31/12 breld 2011 Audi A5
    08/05/12 qbrozen 1998 Volvo S70
    08/20/12 breld 2007 VW Beetle

2013 Punch List:

Punch guesses:
    Michaell 15-17
    Stickguy 25
    Qbrozen 28
    Au1994 30
    Nyccarguy 38
    Ateixeira 40
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Please add my guess = 39?
    Thanks!
    - Ray
    38 + mine, late in the year.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Bought a new 2012 Buick LaCrosse AWD in November.