Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    definitely an automatic. 6-speed steptronic. No paddles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    That's what I thought. Stinkin' autos, anyway. :mad:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    edited February 2013
    Just got home from a short run...Miami to the Ft. Lauderdale Manheim auction location. A really big installation with cars lined up everywhere. Drove a Dodge caravan with just over 46k on the clock to be auctioned. Two hours from start to end which was o k by me since we're doing a run to Ft. Myers in the morning. Not sure where where pickup is tomorrow...at this point it don't matter really. Overall, the Dodge van was pretty plain jane actually, a SXT version I believe. Compared to the new Quest I drove last week, it was definitely lower grade but since the Quest was definitely a pricier sled, it was outfitted o k. It did have sat radio so that was cool. I do have a 4 gig flash drive that I put music on so if I do get a car with a usb port in the dash, I will probably be able to use it...just not sure what to do once it's plugged in. Hopefully someone in here will send me easy directions later tonite. There must be a radio button one needs to push to make the unit recognize the flash drive somehow. Help anybody???

Also got my free car cell phone charger from Amazon on Saturday...yay! I had looked at a new cell last week at Tiger Direct, an unlocked one, but the tech guy there said the Pantech Impact I've got now is a newer, better phone with more up to date features and he advised me to save my $49.99.

I wanted the LG 550 and it was a very cool looking phone. He couldn't tell me if when texting it showed all the texts in the thread, something I have now and don't want to give up at this point. Since he really pushed me to keep mine, that's what I did do and will wait a bit. I don't have a data plan and don't really want one at this point and the freebies at ATT are pretty lame right now, so similar to what I have that it's not worth signing up for another 2 year contract. And I don't want a smart phone quite yet. If the free phone had been super cool, that would have been a different situation and I would've gone ahead. In time a smart phone will probably be a better move since it would have gps capabilities on it but not ready to change quite yet, so I'll stay put for the time being. And a few guys went with Metro PC and have everything for $50 not including the phone. If we do decide to stop paying for all the kids phones, then I'll seriously look at Metro but as of now, mom and dad will continue to pick up the tab for everyone as our gift to them...they're worth it.

I'll update the Sandman Chronicles about yesterdays trip and tomorrows when I get home after Ft. Myers. I have a lot of posts to go through in my other threads in Edmunds to catch up on. So readers, until tomorrow, I am...

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oh man, you get to go to the auctions too - even just cruising the parking lot would be fun, even if they won't let you in the door.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    depends on the car, but there should be an Aux button of some kind on the radio, along with the usual FM/AM/XM. Or, just keep hitting the mode button on the steering wheel, and eventually it will cycle through to your stick.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

A few years ago, I was talking to a guy that has a dealers license but mostly does private buys now (no lot) about getting a Volvo for me. I stopped by his house to look at the auction listing (it was at Manheim), and he showed my his streaming. The whole auction was on 2 big monitors. I think he could watch 4 lanes at a time on each one. Real time, so he could bid on anything running through.

I could have stayed there all day watching it. Much better than anything on TV.

I would love to see one in person some day. Just have to remember to keep my hands in my pockets.

edited February 2013
    Funny what people like and dislike...I'm a auto tranny guy all the way, no manual for me! Luckily with my job, all the cars are auto trannys so I'm good to go. The best thing is we'll never know what we're gonna drive. That's the fun part for me...the anticipation! The cars or suv's are lined up in a row and one has to think fast to decide which one to walk over to and start the procedure in place when checking out each vehicle. The one guy who had a problem with me picking, in his words, "the best cars" has been settled...I was taken aback by this as I just went to cars that I personally wanted to try, I had no idea which one's are better or worse really. Turns out, we both like and want the same cars and he felt that I as the new guy should defer to him. Pretty high schoolish and silly to me but we talked and I explained my point of view to him and we shook hands and hopefully he'll be cool. I will just let him go pick what he wants and then get mine...don't want to upset the pecking order really...just want to drive cool cars!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I like renting cars for that very reason. It's like Christmas morning for a kid. Sometimes you get skunked, sometimes you are grinning ear to ear.
    Was talking with my crew chief earlier and he told me that the company has a contract with Hertz, Dollar, Sixt and a local one named Fox. Hertz and Dollar are the ones who we do most of the work for which is great as they're so big. They need a tremendous amount of cars all over the state and we work when cars are needed at different cities and they don't have them. They call our company with a list of how many vehicles to move and to where and we just do it. Just from the airports that I've gone to since I've started this job, the drop off/pick up areas are huge with vehicles everywhere. Logistically it all seems to work pretty well but there have been some major screw ups which cause significant delays. Keeping one's cool is rule #1 from what they've been telling me. Since I'm the new guy, everyone is helping me learn the ropes and they've only played one trick on me so far otherwise, everyone has been great and the crew chief has already told me he likes my work and my eagerness to just get the job done in a professional and safe manner. He told me that from what he's seen, he can count on me to answer my phone when there is work and to show up with a good attitude. He wants happy folks in his crew who are willing to work when needed and are flexible time wise...he thinks I'll fit in perfectly which is great as I do want to work, am extremely flexible time wise and the extra $ is definitely great to have.

So all I need to do is plug the flash drive into the port and push the appropriate button and the music should start to play through the system I guess. Seems simple enough to do really as I've seen the usb port in some of the cars already. Having the sat radio the last few trips has spoiled me completely now. I know the VW Jetta's they have don't have sat radio so the flash drive should do the trick. Driving across Florida on the Alley is terrible radio wise so something like sat or a flash drive is imperative if one wants to listen to good music. Luckily I already have my flash drive for use in my laptop since my itunes account is on my desk top only right now.

Fin, I've had a perpetual grin on my face since I was hired for this great job! Just think...to get to do something you love and to then get paid $ to do it...how cool is that? And the best part is that I can work as much as they have work available. Even though this is supposed to be a part time job and I really wanted to work about 15 hours/week, got a funny feeling that I'm gonna have the opportunity to work as long as they have requests from the companies they service. The others have said that certain times are busier than others also...they worked 23 days straight in December, which makes sense. So the ball is really in my court here, I can work as much as they call me. And I'm learning to schedule personal stuff one day within 2 weeks so I can have the other days free. And we work 24/7 also, another good perk. Working weekends is no big deal for me at this point and now that we're in tax season, the wife is super busy so she told me to just go for it. If my spine feels o k, then I'm gonna work and if not, I'll take a day off to rest it. Now how cool is this job! :)

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    Sandy, I understand how you pick up the cars and drive them to a certain place...but how do you get back? Do they run a shuttle or bus? Are you still getting paid on the return trip?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Yes, our crew chief drives the big shuttle van and drives us all back to the meeting place. The only bad thing is that it's very uncomfortable. I got to use the front seat on one trip but an old cranky guy had a problem with the newbie riding shotgun so I made up a comfy cushion to sit on. It seems to do the job so all I need do is remember to take it with me when we change vehicles. A few of the other folks also have back issues so I decided to come up with a comfortable solution for myself. Just wish all seating positions had head rests cause after awhile my neck hurts also. Ah, the joys of getting older! But I told my crew chief to please treat me like anyone else and I will manage best I can...period. And I will!

Seems like we get paid a certain amount for each airport we go to and by the hour when we move cars around the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Sometimes we have to move vehicles within the garage just at FLL. Each day is different and on Friday, we had to do two different jobs for two different company's...we just never know what orders will come through. So we do what we have to to get the work done. After my small trip today, some of the other guys were going to do a Tampa run...and this was at 3 p m already...they won't return until after midnight! So glad they didn't need me for that as it would've been to much for my spine. I have to be smart here and not hurt myself, it's just not worth it! This is only supposed to be part time for me unlike some of the other guys who have this as their only job and for them I feel bad. I just need to get my 40 quarters so I'll be able to collect social security when I reach 65. I get a pension from the government as I was a civil service employee for my whole postal career.The pension is great to have but I also want ss later on in life and the extra $ from this part time gig is coming in very handy to boot. I want to fund last years and this years Roth IRA and then save whatever I can for the future. So this job is just perfect for us.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    For those of you who don't visit the Stories from the Sales Frontlines topic:

I took my son's X3 in for an Oil Service today and my dealer gave me a new X1 loaner. I drove it to a hearing located in a town 100 miles away. Herewith my impressions:

While our X3 handles almost like a 3 Series, the X1 drives better than a new 3 Series. Unlike the current 3er, the X1 still uses a hydraulic steering rack that lets you know exactly what the front wheels are doing. The ride is on the soft side of firm. The interior is functional and attractive; most all of the instrumentation and switchgear has been lifted from the previous(E9x) generation 3 Series- which suits me just fine. The only nod to form over function is the "beer tap" shifter- an excellent example of a Bavarian answer to a question no one has asked.

This car had the start/stop enabled and it seemed to function much more smoothly than in the new 5ers and 3ers I have driven. Vibration was minimal, and I couldn't tell the engine had stopped without looking at the tach. Most of my time was cruising at 70 or better on the interstate, so I activated the "Eco Pro" mode, which is the über-efficient fuel economy mode. According to the OBC I averaged 29.7 mpg. The OBC also alleged that the Eco Pro mode allowed me to travel 30 miles further on the fuel consumed. And speaking of Eco Pro, it's a great feature to use at a steady cruise, but it is unpleasant in city/suburban driving; Eco Pro softens up response to the accelerator to the point that you think you are driving a car with 55 bhp.

So, would I buy an X1? If I needed AWD capability with BMW driving dynamics-and I could live without a third pedal-it would be my first choice. I'd really like to try an X1 M Sport; I suspect that it is a much more involving drive than most anything in Munich's US line up aside from the 1 Series and the ///M cars...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I should take Rock Creek home once a week to remind me why I bought it.
    We sat in one at the car show and my daughter's back seat comment was priceless:

This is NOT a car for tall people!

She's only 13 and still growing. Fine for an empty nester or a young single.
    It definitely will depend on the car. I only have 1 factory USB port, and that's in the Chrysler. That, unfortunately, doesn't read off that port. If you plug in a stick, you have to copy the playlist to the hard drive in order to listen to it. Pretty silly.

However, in both my aftermarket units with USB ports, it will play right from the stick.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

So, would I buy an X1? If I needed AWD capability with BMW driving dynamics-and I could live without a third pedal-it would be my first choice.

Except you can get it without AWD.

Too bad you can't get a RWD 35i, though.

A RWD 28i with premium and tech totals near $42k. Pretty pricey, IMHO. And I can't package cold weather with the sport steering wheel. :(

Real world price around $38k or so?

Nowadays that's not even a high transaction cost.
    edited February 2013
    Tough for me to wrap my head around a 4-cyl compact CUV for that money, though.

I agree, its probably competitive. I mean, lousy CRVs are over $30k and a FWD SEL Tiguan is near $35k. So its there. But I think all of those are too much money.

makes my AWD RDX, with an incredibly nice powertrain, look like a bargain at 33.5k!

Pretty funny revelation of what the mainstream lux cars have become, when a little mommymobile pretend SUV handles better than normal cars. Americans really do want Buicks after all, and the makers are just catering to this. You can still get a sportier model, but you have to join the 1% and buy a tuned variant, or find that one odd model that hasn't been beiged.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    I noticed that too! You can't get the heated steering wheel with the M SPort Pkg! I love my E90's heated steering wheel. I use it pretty much every dya it is in the 40s and under.

Too bad you can't get a RWD 35i, though.

They don't want us to have TOO much fun!

A RWD 28i with premium and tech totals near $42k

You'd most likely have to special order something like that.

Personally I like the $40,645 (MSRP) 35i I "built" on the website. As much as I would LOVE the ///M Sport Seats, Suspension, & various other goodies, getting an N55 Turbo Inline 6 powered BMW for under $40K (brand new) would suit my daily driving needs just fine.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    edited February 2013
    Fin, I've had a perpetual grin on my face since I was hired for this great job! Just think...to get to do something you love and to then get paid $ to do it...how cool is that?

You would have loved my previous automotive job then. I was a marketing manager for a local exotic car dealer for about a year.

My job consisted of photographing the entire inventory (Porsches, Ferraris, Bentleys, and such), putting them online, updating our social media pages and website, and organizing high end events for our clients.

We sponsored a lot fo luxury related events aroud the city which required us to take some of our cars there on site. Basically I got to drive $200k+ cars, go have fun, mingle with some folks, and drive the car(s) back.

At one product launch we had over $2 million in cars (4 in the picture plus a few more) on site that we towed for liability reasons which I was responsible for, but I still had to drive and park them in the appropriate spots.

And my first week there we had a track day organized for our clients where they brought their cars and we brought some of ours. So I got to pilot a Ferrari there and back (about 1 hour drive each way) and got to drive in on the track. Although I miss the fun stuff, I don't miss the job as it was stressful as hell. :sick: :mad:

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    Not really a Ferrari guy, but I do like that FF.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Nice two door wagon there :shades:

I bet some of the clientele and management in a business like that would grate on me.
    I hope jobs like that exist when I hit my older years. Seems like a way to keep active and have a little fun at the same time - fun for car people anyway. I think I mentioned my grandfather did that after his retirement (public sector, I think at age 61 or so). He kept on doing the rental car transits until he was maybe 75-76, got him out of the house.
    The FF received very mixed opinions from the established clients and at nearly half a million dollars Canadian for almost a fully loaded model, it was not a "no brainer" purchase even for the wealthiest clients. That's RR territory in terms of price although now I hear they have some pre orders for them with a bit of a wait.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    This youtube review of the FF came out a few weeks ago; any supercar you can take for a week of skiing works for me, personally.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

That's the exact idea behind it. Since Ferrari doesn't offer an SUV this is the next best thing to take up to the mountains with all your gear.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Rented a brand new Camry for a week in Phoenix. Very surprising vehicle. First, it was tight,solid, quiet, with a nice transmission. The seats were a bit too firm and lumpy for me but they were passable. The ride was super firm -- lots of feedback over every expansion joint. They must be looking for folks who like a euro ride. My prius is smoother without being sloppy and more comfortable seats. On power mode, it has just as much pep and gets double the mpg. The Camry averaged 23.5 in mixed driving. I have a feeling the new Accord has a broader target audience.
    Test drive a new Camry and see what you think about the ride.
    Was it an SE? Maybe the wheels and cladding make it firmer.
    AWD + wagon = cool.

You sacrifice styling for the practical shape, but I'll take one.
    Those are grounded to the ground, he wants smoother. ;)
    It was an LE --- I never pushed it hard into any turns but it had plenty of "road feel." Would have liked to jump into a 328 just to see what's what. All along N. Scottdale Rd. , it seemed every used car lot was loaded with Bmw, MB,Lexus,Land Rover and Jaguar inventory. Some vintage but mostly fairly current. Huge Volvo dealer complex -- deserted further south. Some of the longest traffic lights I've ever experienced but the weather was great !
    It looks good in some colors with some specific wheels that can match its beefiness. It's a huge car but in person it has a ton of presence.

I like it personally, but then I like nearly every production exotic car out there :shades:

edited February 2013
    My mom drives a Camry LE - not the latest model. It's VERY numb, maybe steering as numb is in a 1960s American car. It's fairly quick off the line though, and the engine is very smooth for a 4, decent NVH isolation. It does what it is meant to do very well.

That highline used inventory = lease returns from auction.
    The 2013 Camry has a super smooth drive train. The steering feels very solid and with the firm suspension seems far from numb to me but that's just me. I'm not very astute re car reviews. Take a test drive in a new one -- would be interested in your impressions vs your mom's Camry.
    Finally got behind the wheel.

Wow, I don't thin I had driven a Hyundai since the Scoupe came out. Several Kias, but I can't remember a single Hyundai.

Love, love, love the panoramic moonroof. It is HUGE both front and back, the shade powers open, the roof tilts and opens above the roof without robbing headroom. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 12. That much better than expected.

Played with the Navi for only a minute but the screen is sharp and big for this class. Eye candy. So far so good. Backup cam is nice, though the lines show distance but not trajectory. Not a big deal.

The leather seats are a bit firm, good side support but this isn't a sports car. The cloth seats were more comfy. Leather and cloth both heated, wow, even the cheap base model. Base had a cheap plastic steering wheel, upscale models had high grade leather. Materials are nothing special but were nicer than expected, still have that hooptie stereotype in the back of my mind.

Drive was ok but ride was too firm, IMHO. Style package forces the sports suspension and some chrome trim on the rims I didn't like. Also it had a bit more engine noise than I was hoping for.

Sales guy convinced me to try a Limited sedan to compare.

That car had same size rims and tires but the ride was much better. Better bump absorption without any degradation in handling. Makes me think an Elantra GT without the sports suspension would be better, but then I can't get the pano roof that drew me to the car in the first place. I also would pick cloth over leather, but that too is grouped with the pano option.

There was less engine noise in the sedan too. Not sure if the hatch is just noisier, or what.

Bummer is the sedan has a tiny moonroof, plus I want a hatch.

As is I'd rate the Impreza higher overall, but if Hyundai would offer the pano as an a la carte option I'd buy a base model with that and wrap the steering wheelskins. I've done that 3 times before.

Disappointed. :(
    Since 2006, my daily driver has been an E55 AMG, which has a pretty firm sporty suspension, gobs of effortless torque, etc, so that might make the Camry more shocking to me than someone who is used to a more mainstream car. I am used to flat cornering, and responsiveness that make me feel like a motorcycle compared to cars with half the power.

Maybe I'll end up in one as a rental - I never feel right test driving cars I have no intent to buy, as I know the sales industry is so cutthroat.
    Did you try the Driver Selectable steering in the Elantra GT? That's a neat feature which lets you change the steering feel between Comfort, Normal, and Sport at the push of a button.

edited February 2013
    That's too bad. The GT is easily the best looking Elantra, and the only one I would really want. Does it have rough low profile tires, too? I also don't care for shiny/chromy wheels on modern cars. Kind of dumb they combine luxury and sport in one package, when those sometimes attract a mutually exclusive buyer on a cheaper car.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited February 2013
    I never feel right test driving cars I have no intent to buy, as I know the sales industry is so cutthroat.

I agree, I've never test drove a car, just for the fun of it. I don't want a salesperson to waste an "up" just so I can have a joy ride.

I do know a guy who's sold Chevys for over 20 years. So I've thought about buying him lunch and driving some of the new Chevys when they hit the lots.

I'm with you on the older Camrys. My MIL has an 05 XLE v6. Nice car, smooth ride, the powertrain is in another universe compared to any domestic car I've driven in terms of refinement. But that steering, wow, I think my boat has more steering feedback;) Way to light for me.

I haven't driven a new Camry, but a friend of mine has a Tundra limited and I don't like the steering in it either. But if I could just get the Tundra powertrain in a domestic truck;)
    Didn't have a lot of time, and that seemed gimmicky to me.

Honestly that car did better when it didn't pretend to be sporty.

It's a very competent small car. Repackage it and I'm interested.
    The odd thing is I looked and both cars had identical tire sizes on 17" rims. I'd prefer 16"s on that type of car.

But it was definitely the "sports suspension" tuning that the Style Package forces you to get.

The Veloster offers 18"s so imagine that ride is like granite.

Base model is close, only really lacks the pano.

Hoping they offer it a la carte for 2014. Long shot.
    Hyundai has made a mistake. I think a lot of people who want leather and gadgets don't want a firm ride - and some who want a sporty ride don't want leather.

I can't see why pano can't be ala carte - it has been on MBs anyway.
    They won't do it because people on a budget aren't going to spring $1400 to add a pano roof on a base car with hubcaps.

In fact the roof option only appealed to top level buyers and even some of them didn't care for it.

Base car had 16" alloys, heated seats, Bluetooth, blue link telematics, 4 wheel discs, projector beam headlamps, heated mirrors, cooled glove box, cruise, map pockets behind both seats, arm rest, illuminated vanity mirrors, etc.

The GT base is already well equipped, much more than the sedan.

I'd just add the pano roof and a leather steering wheel cover.

I'd ask for Navi a la carte but that's wishful thinking.
    edited February 2013
    Oh, too bad. Maybe makes sense for another reason too, not many Hyundai buyers will special order, and odd option cars will linger on the lots. Probably so few would want to custom build that it isn't worth the hassle. Unlike the Germans, where you can still get anything you want. Want an E-class with absolutely everything but still have a vinyl interior? Done. Or one with absolutely nothing but pano? Done. Etc.

A real lux model with a softer suspension BUT all the toys might still have potential though.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    I guess thus is one of those cases where perception is EVERYTHING. Coming from your Prius, the Camry LE might very well have a "super smooth drivetrain" & excellent road feel. Fintail's E55 AMG is powered by a hand built V8 engine that's mated to a bulletproof 5 speed automatic & very precisely tuned RWD chassis. I'm sure his car would make my BMW "feel" soft.

If you've never driven a BMW, don't unless you fully intend to buy one. Not because it would be a waste of a salesman's time, but because there is simply nothing else like it on this planet. My car's 230 horsepower Inline 6 is super smooth & perfectly balanced. The steering is weighted nicely and I always know exactly what the front wheels are doing. The suspension is solid, on the firm side, but quite compliant.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD