Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    Prius owners seem to get close to the ratings. Or so my wife keeps telling me. :)

(Thanks for the link).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I drove it like I stole it and the numbers still kept creeping up.

Fuelly members get between 44 and 50, but one crazy guy in Japan has beat 100mpg several times. Don't try that at home, who knows what that does to the battery.

JDM models have a bigger gas tank, too. Wonder why?
    edited February 2013
    The way owners like to hack their Prii, I bet some import the bigger tanks to the US and finagle them in.

Hm, Yakima doesn't have any clips for a Prius v roof rack. That could be a deal killer. Ah, Thule does but I'd have to buy an entire new rack instead of just getting new clips. Only $425. Oops, the keys to keep that expensive rack from walking off adds another $60. :P
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You can do an M50 swap for about $2K. Less if you do the work yourself. Very few other mods required. That's an extra 50 HP... And, you are still 100% BMW.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah some of those hacks are nutty. Like blocking air flow in the grille.

If we see fried inverters we'll know why.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    edited February 2013
    I wanted one of these really bad when I graduated college, but it was just a bit out of the price range. Should have just done it anyway.

this one actually looks pretty nice, and cheap enough. Lot of miles, but hard to tell what parts have the 245K on them!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3607522968.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

now this one looks like new. Not sure why anyone would want one, but if you do, looks pretty nice for the money.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3595654641.html

Driver's seat doesn't look so new....

Still, says something when the seat is worn out and the car still looks that good.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I believe you an buy a Spark in Canada as it's not just for the rental fleets. I saw one on the road and it looked like a squished version of the Sonic. Kudos to GM for investing in small cars though as this will be the future.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

I bought a set of 16" Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires for our E90 BMW for $700 off Craigslist. Not only were they used only for 1 season but they were also runflats, came with stock BMW rims, and TPMS sensors. It was just a bolt on job for me that took an hour (had to use jack from older BMW as my E90 doesn't even come with a jack!). The retired guy who sold them got rid of his BMW and didn't need them anymore. The funny thing is he never mentioned in his ad that these were runflats or had TPMS sensors.

Our stock runflats were wearing out anyways so I needed to replace them. This was a smoking deal as our dealer quoted me $430/tire plus mounting/balancing/taxes to replace the all seasons. :surprise:

I have BMW sport seats in my 3 Series , Recaros in my 2002, and Mazda "sport" seats in my 2007 MS3. I prefer any of those to the standard seats in the X3 or 328i- not that they are uncomfortable, but I like substantial side bolsters.

We have the sports seats in our 07 328 as well and they are among the best seats comfort and support wise compared to any car I've driven, even Ferraris and Maseratis (those are supportive but not as comortable). Even sitting in a non-sports-seat 3 series I feel akward and like I'm sitting on a park bench. :surprise:

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Sport seats in my 3-series, as well... both of them.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    "This was a smoking deal as our dealer quoted me $430/tire plus mounting/balancing/taxes to replace the all seasons."

I read somewhere that many dealers are charging more expensive hourly rates instead of flat fees to mount and dismount RFTs. Apparently, it's very difficult to mount and dismount them without damaging the rim.
    That's why when winter's over I think I'll buy a set of aftermarket rims with normal tires for the 328. Maybe I'll lower the car an inch or two while I'm at it, hoping my wife won't notice :blush:

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Visited the local MB dealer today. They have the most loaded E550 I have seen to date - virtually everything possible including designo, MSRP within pocket change of 80K. And more interestingly, a black on black 13 E350 Bluetec, pano, etc, 58K MSRP - lease it 24 months 3700 down, 489/month. Seems cheap. If they are having specials already, there could be some deals before the facelift hits the street (dealer said you can special order a 2014 right now). Nothing else of note, but disturbing that a normal non-AMG SL550 is over 120K.
    It's getting to a point where if you have to ask the price...you can only afford to lease.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I don't think the Kia's cooled glove compartment was common.

I think GTIs had/have a cooled glove box- and my 1988 M6 had a cooled console compartment- complete with its own thermostat and evaporator coil.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

You can do an M50 swap for about $2K. Less if you do the work yourself. Very few other mods required. That's an extra 50 HP... And, you are still 100% BMW.

I know, I would like to keep it a four banger; I should have installed a Downing Atlanta supercharger kit before they quit selling them...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited February 2013
    I bought a set of 16" Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires for our E90 BMW for $700 off Craigslist. Not only were they used only for 1 season but they were also runflats, came with stock BMW rims, and TPMS sensors.

That's a great deal! I paid $1319 for new BMW Approved 16" LM-25 Blizzak RFTs, TPMS, and Sport Edition F10 wheels from Tire Rack:

The F10s use the BMW lug bolts and even accept the OEM center caps. Only the most die-hard Bimwads can tell that the wheels aren't OEM.

The 17" stock wheels had summer Continental RFTs, which were a bit of a surprise. Whoever mounted them went crazy with an impact wrench; I broke a 1/2"-3/8" adapter trying to remove them. I bought a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" 17MM impact socket and finally was able to remove them. As for a jack, I have a 2 ton Craftsman floor jack-made before the Chinese got the job- as well as a lightweight Snap-On "racing" floor jack and jack stands. Best money I ever spent for fleet maintenance chores in and around the garage

That's a great deal too, for new wheels and tires!

Ha that's funny. When I was removing the stock 17's off my 328 they seemed to be stuck to the hubs even after all the bolts were off. I had to wrestle with each wheel for a good 5-10 minutes just to pull it off.

What I like about the 16" vs the stock Conti 17 RFT's I had on is the ride is much more comfortable and it's easier to steer, and since my wife is the one driving it she actually likes the smaller 16's more.

M6 doesn't surprise me but GTI? Cool (literally).

I never would have cared though recently I've kept sports drinks in the car as the kids often forget to take them to practice/games.

Heated steering wheel was funny the first time I felt it working.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    The heated steering wheel is one thing I miss from my Jeep. It sounds silly but you really get used to it.
    When I was removing the stock 17's off my 328 they seemed to be stuck to the hubs even after all the bolts were off. I had to wrestle with each wheel for a good 5-10 minutes just to pull it off.

BMW wheels are hubcentric- the wheels are centered by the hubs and not the lug bolts. The wheels can virtually weld themselves to the hubs, which is what you ran into. I wire brush the wheel and the hub mounting surfaces and then apply a tin coat of anti-seize paste. End of problem.
    Two fixes if you run into an obstinate wheel again:
    1. Big A** hammer- with a block of wood serving as the intermediary
    2. Remount wheel, lower car, back off each lug bolt 1 turn, drive around the block once or twice

only minor flaw is the 153K on the clock, but looks well cared for. And very snazzy.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3608201970.html

edited February 2013
    And with the way they depreciate, leasing will be the smartest way to go. They must be inflating residuals to a hilarious level.

If I can find a Bluetec with P2, pano, and good colors for that advertised rate, I will be severely tempted.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    edited February 2013
    Here's a shot of my 2011 328xi parked in my driveway during the great blizzard of 2013

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

KY got something similar in 1994; my one SUV was broken down so Casa Roadburner was completely isolated for five days. My wife and I called it The Shining week.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Yowser! I remember living in Westchester as a kid and getting snow like that but don't think I could do that anymore. Good looking shot though of the Bimmer!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited February 2013
    Just looking around on BMWUSA's site, I found a 2007 X3 (at Prestige BMW) with the following options: White, Black Leather, Premium, Rear Parking Sensors, Cold Weather, xenon lights, & a 6 speed manual transmission. Only 70,000 miles. They are asking $18,000. The car is listed as having an automatic transmission, but the pics show a stick. Not a bad SUV if you could get it for $15,500 - $16,000 :confuse:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I'll drive it if you want to buy it for me.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    There was an article on the truth about cars a few days ago about cars that were surprisingly offered with manuals, and this was one the vehicles mentioned. I've seen a few come up over the years, but not often, obvioiusly. Someone will buy it. Maybe someone named stickguy.

They even offered the 1st gen X5 with a stick initially...I've only ever seen one of those over the years.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

edited February 2013
    Had a day off yesterday which which was very welcomed and rested my sore back. Texted my chief this morning about 8 and found out that there was no work. Decided to roll back over for a bit and next thing I heard was the phone buzzing about 10 and it was him. We had a Key West run and was I available. Hell yes I told him and we were to meet at 1. Got another text at 12:10 saying a 2nd run was added...a Ft. Lauderdale to Miami one which worked out since our cars were waiting at MIA for us. This time we got cars by random choice and I got another Elantra which was cool. My buddy got something I was drooling over...a 2013 C Class! Man, I wish it had been me but since we do runs for this company on a regular basis, it's Sixt, I know I'll get another chance to bag me a C Class for a trip.

They gave me a brand new Focus for the Key West trip and since it didn't have SAT radio, I decided to try my ipod. Unfortunately, it said that my generic connector didn't sync...I need to buy one that will work with any radio. Luckily I had a small cd case with my stuff so just threw one of them in and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded through the Ford system..."MySync"...very nice actually! This car had 60 miles on it and it felt great. I'm still not happy with the wonkey tranny when one has to pass or some other move that requires a burst of speed. Mashing the throttle sends this car into a spaz attach...it doesn't react immediately and just leaves a lot to be desired. Guess it needs to learn one's driving style. But the seats were comfortable and the side bolsters really keep you enveloped which felt great. Besides the goofy tranny, this car is really that good though the hatch is the real looker in the group here...the sedan leaves me cold! I am seriously considering buying this car...gasp...when I do swap the Civic out, it's that good! I'm sure the tranny weirdness will be dealt with eventually also. Right now, I still prefer the Elantra over the Focus but not by much folks. Still haven't snagged a Jetta for a long drive and I'm really itching to get my hands on one already. I have visions of it being the perfect car and I hope I'm not disappointed!

They wanted me to work another Key West run tomorrow but had to decline...see the pain doctor and have a bunch of other errands scheduled so I can keep the next 2 weeks free from any obligations. This "part time job" is turning out to be more of a full time job and the work seems to be available. I'm game as long as my spine holds out. The wife and kids are after me to watch myself and don't over do things but I assured them all that I will be careful here...it's just that the fun factor hasn't worn off yet and I truly love to get behind the wheel no matter where we are going. I tried to find a job like this for so long that now that I do have it, I want to run with it for a bit. My co-workers are amazed that I'm still grinning from ear to ear whenever I show up for work, they must think I'm a bit nut!. I know you guys understand why I love going in...I just tell 'em I'm a car guy and this is my dream job, driving different cars on someone else's dime...I don't think I'll be getting tired of it for a long while here!

I'll come back with some more observations of some of the cars I've driven in the next edition of "The Sandman Chronicles". Would rather do a bunch of reviews all at once. This is a golden time for the auto industry though with so many good choices for us consumers. I really haven't driven a bad car in the bunch yet, honestly!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

They even offered the 1st gen X5 with a stick initially...I've only ever seen one of those over the years.

I almost bought one in 2007; the stick was only available with the 3.0 six, I know of another one that my dealer ordered by mistake- it took them a while to move that puppy.

Used car prices in general are insane, but some of the asking prices (I know they are just that) on those previous generation after the refresh (2007 - 2010) X3s are just down right ridiculous. Dealers still have 2007s & 2008s listed for mid $20Ks. We are talking about a 4 - 5 year old vehicle that had an MSRP in the mid to high $40K range.

I don't even think my wife's X3 had a sticker price of $41K. Now granted it was a low option model. Automatic Trans was a n/c option, heated front seats, rear climate pkg (tinted windows), & Montego Blue Metallic Paint.

The standard leatherette seats were fantastic. We loved the panorama moonroof (standard on our X3, but a $1300 option on my Dad's former '07 X5), All Wheel Drive, Free Scheduled Maintenance, the smooth power of the N52 Inline 6, the excellent handling.

Remembering how well that X3 drove is one of the factors that made me trade in my 2010 TSX Tech for my 2011 328xi. It sounds cool on this board to say I traded the 2010 for the 2011, but in actuality the 2010 Acura was bought in August '09 and the 2011 328xi was bought in March 2012 (but you already knew that).

Listening to y'all go on about your BMW's make me really want to get a used one...or even a used C Class but my wife isn't as understanding about these things. She sees a car as an a appliance and wouldn't consider used. We all know how I stand on this subject but she's a hard nut to crack. The couple of used cars that I did purchase had some issues, all under warranty of course, but issues just the same and I never heard the end of it. But whenever I see a nice 328 or C Class that is a few years old, I really lust for it. True, I've never driven one yet but am afraid that once I do, I'll never be satisfied with my Japanese imports again. And the prices for slightly "pre owned" isn't that much more than a new import really. Now that I'm really getting back into driving again, it would be nice to finally see what you guys are really talking about. I think I want to join the club already and have some drivers fun.

I'm betting that for around $20k and my Civic trade, I could get a fairly decent, low mileage 328 or C Class. I just might have to start dropping into the stores which are real close to our house. I'm finally about to wrap things up with the lawyer and hand out the distributions and I know my dad would want me to use some of it to have a little fun and enjoy myself. Since we do purchase our own cars, I really can make this decision. Just have to decide if it's worth living with a pissed off wife for a time while I finally indulge my inner fantasy here. Probably asking the wrong crowd here as I know y'all would say just go for it. I know my deceased brother had a CLK 320 before he passed a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it...it sure was sweet! Decisions decisions! Luckily, this is not something I have to do right away. Might be better to wait until we get her a new vehicle and then bring up the subject of me going a bit wild this time...I'd even let her drive it, well maybe sometimes!

Used car prices in general are insane, but some of the asking prices (I know they are just that) on those previous generation after the refresh (2007 - 2010) X3s are just down right ridiculous.

I agree, I've been frequenting the local public auction lately and a lot of cars sell close to or higher than asking prices on Craigslist and Trader. And this is the public auction where it's supposed ot be cheaper.

Very hard to score a deal lately but I think it has to do with dealers ovepraying for trade ins to meet their new car targets and then being stuck with overpriced used inventory that they can't sell. :cry:

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    My daughter works in Portland, Maine:
    "**Smashing Old Records**
    We saw a record snowfall in Portland of 31.9 inches. That breaks the old record of greatest snowfall of 27.1 inches set back on January 17 and 18 1979."
    - Ray
    One big reason I no longer live in the Northeast .....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    They must be inflating residuals to a hilarious level.

That and lets not forget money is cheap right now, so even a MF close to 1% or less isn't killing them.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited February 2013
    Most with those miles seem to be trading right around the mid 15s. I have no idea how the stick would affect the value since I'm not seeing any in the auction history.

Was there any sort of sport pack available on those?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited February 2013
    I think I want to join the club already

Take some dental floss and GumOut to the dealer when you pick up your car and remove all the exterior badges. Then slap a couple of Elantra badges on.

If you have a badge inside, velcro a notepad over it "to help you keep work organized".

Us appliance buyers can't tell one car from another and your wife will never know. :D

(This is my backyard and picnic table from a couple of days ago. Not from one storm though.)
    I have to think the stick (on a trade) is a $1500 hit on an X3. So maybe $13,500? It is a CPO, but for how long I don't know. I checked the carfax. It was originally a BMW Executive Car, hence the stick & specific options (PDC, Nevada Leather, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons, No Pop-Up Nav). So the original driver didn't have to worry about trade in time. It's not even listed on the dealer's website or autotrader ad as having a 6-Speed Manual. It says the car has an automatic.

Just like anything, if you think about what you can buy new for $16,000. This one might fit the bill as a nice, fun to drive, daily driver.

How do buyers know how mechanically these vehicles are? From what I saw at the Lauderdale auction last week, they have all these cars lined up to go through the lines, so how can one look over the interior, start the engine, etc. in order to know what or what not to buy. This may be a silly question but I'm a bit confused here.

Looked on CarGurus and not a single CPO diesel.

Found 4 E class diesels with a moonroof, this is probably the best one among those:

http://cargur.us/fXfW

06 and 81k miles, no warranty, and still not cheap. The diesels hold their value well, you can get a gasser 2 years newer with half as many miles for about the same price.
    You have AWD but not a lot of ground clearance. How long did it take for them to plow your street?
    Would you get a Focus manual? I'm not sure I'd want an auto that had spaz attacks even occasionally. ;)
    No, since my accident, I have problems with my legs, the left mostly, but the right hurts sometimes and I've recently noticed my knees hurting a bit after we do lot to lot runs...getting up into the 12 passenger van is a bit painful. I haven't driven a stick in years and no one else in the family can drive one either. We're slush box lovers all the way!

edited February 2013
    Yeah, my knee gets sore on the longer drives, especially with traffic.

That took me from a Focus to the C-Max (the hybrid gets a CVT). I just wish the rear seat bottom had decent padding and wasn't so short and close to the floor.
    edited February 2013
    Panoramic moonroof is a stand-alone option. Why can't others have that sort of flexible packaging? Prius V has to be loaded and costs about $8 grand more vs. cheapest C-Max with this.

I realize dealers may not stock models with just that, though.

Frustrating that the family didn't like this car. :sick:
    edited February 2013
    Diesel pano cars are very rare, I have only seen a few in person. That showroom car had one, which is what caught my eye. P2 diesel cars are rare too - I think I will insist on it, as I want xenons. That would bump MSRP to about 60K, with pano.

And good point about tjc about the cheap money right now. I didn't want a money factor, but if they make me an offer I can't refuse...
    My street was clear & down to the blacktop by early Saturday afternoon. They actually cleared the street before my plow guy came. I have an electric snow blower that I used to plow out around my BMW and behind the Pilot (which sits in the garage). I didn't back far enough into the driveway with the BMW for the Pilot to clear backing out of the garage.

I carefully backed the Pilot out of the garage. I had about an inch of play on the left or I would have taken the nose off my BMW. I had about a foot on the right or I would have scraped the rear bumper of my Prelude.

Once I blasted through the snow with the Pilot, I moved the BMW into the garage.