Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,697
    I'm finding myself on quite a Subaru kick right now. I took my wife to look at the Impreza/XV Crosstrek last week. Now, my wife isn't much of a fan of the brand, and has expressed a particular dislike for the Forester and Outback. I had a '98 Legacy 2.5GT which I liked quite a bit.

So she liked the Impreza and XV Crosstrek - then she looks around the lot and asked why I wasn't considering the nice small SUV. "Uh, you mean the Forester?" Apparently her dislike for the model was with the 1st gen model, and she hadn't noticed its evolvement through the 2nd and 3rd gens. :D

I test drove the Forester (still the out-going model) and liked it quite a bit, but not sure if I'd be okay with the antiquated 4-speed auto. I'm looking forward to checking out the new model in person - I still like the CX-5, but based on the lease quotes I got from the Mazda dealer, they are very proud of their product as well. If the deals are better on the Forester (which I suspect they may be) I may go that route.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    Apparently her dislike for the model was with the 1st gen model

I loved my '98. Manual trans, great in snow and on sandy beaches, and low enough center of gravity that it felt like an Impreza wagon.

An Impreza wagon is more of a hatch, anyway.

I still miss that car. Should have kept it as a winter beater.

The public wants high seating, trucky looking things so it keeps getting taller and bigger. I'd challenge any similarly powered crossover at a Rally Cross event, and eat their lunch!
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    RB - I'm lucky in that the local MINI dealer (only 2 total in Colorado) has been a pleasure to work with.

They are, however, a no haggle dealer but don't charge any sort of P&H fee. They also own a Honda and BMW franchise and have a great reputation here in Denver.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    RB - I'm lucky in that the local MINI dealer (only 2 total in Colorado) has been a pleasure to work with.

That's the way I feel about my local BMW dealership. The Fiat dealer is in the same dealer group(and I know a couple of the VPs) so I'd hope that would make things easier if I did have a problem.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    That's the way I feel about my local BMW dealership. The Fiat dealer is in the same dealer group(and I know a couple of the VPs) so I'd hope that would make things easier if I did have a problem.

So what's stopping you from pulling the trigger on the Abarth?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Oh, I don't know. I like driving my '69 Econoline in the curves, but I'm not sure that "fun" is a proper description. It does get the adrenaline going, though. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    The dogleg gear setup would be interesting. Underrated car, could become collectible within a decade or so. 10K should be enough to buy a really nice one, not huge demand for them.
    Yep, I saw that. They are dreaming - maybe trying to eek out a profit after the healthy trade in price. I talked to my salesman, who fully expects it to be unsold after 45 days, where the employees will get a chance at it.
    I bet the Rolls gets even more looks than the fintail (and that's saying something) - it cost maybe 3x as much new, worth maybe 3x as much as a mint fintail now, so I guess that's not bad.

I've had my car since I was 18, bought it in 1995. Taking it to an alignment shop tomorrow in preparation for new tires - old ones date back to the Clinton era.

Here it is with my beautiful old W126:

The C43:

And the E55:

By European standards, a fintail was a large car. In the US, "intermediate", maybe like a Fairlane/Malibu/Studebaker. A C-class is closest in physical size today, and the new E feels more like my SWB W126 in size.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    That is another very cool series of pictures.
    Thanks!
    - Ray
    No pics of my cars going back to when I was 18....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    So what's stopping you from pulling the trigger on the Abarth?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to pay for it- plus, I want to file my taxes to see if I owe anything... :(

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    All great pics and neat that you have these photos. You should hold onto the old fintail as long as feasible, such a great car.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    "I'm just trying to figure out the best way to pay for it..."

PenFed has a 1.49% 60 month loan (anyone can join) and Park Federal Credit Union in Louisville will do 1.99%. There's just not a huge incentive to pay cash anymore.
    It's a good old car - has a million needs, but like Mr. Burns, they all kind of cancel each other out, and it keeps running. I have no logical reason to keep it, but I am sentimental and I like driving it.
    My family documented few of our cars over the years, so I didn't want to make that same mistake. I also only buy something if I really like it, so I am proud and take pics.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    That S Class looks nice and clean, euro bumpers (I think), good color, clear corner lenses. I bet your new E is even bigger than your old S Class if parked side by side.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

That W126 was pretty gorgeous, I loved the color. NA bumpers but Euro lights - I now feel kind of dumb about those corners, but at the time (10+ years ago), they seemed to make the car look fresh. I agree, the new car is about the same size and probably weight too. Everything has moved up a size, which might make sense as to why we are getting the CLA.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    CLA looks decent but with Front Wheel Drive it's a bit of a turnoff for me. I bet for the same money you could pick up a nice used CLS, probably AMG package too.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

I am not sold on small cars with trunks - if they are too small, they just look weird. If we had a normal A-class hatch, I would find it more attractive. A250 diesel could be a hoot.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    Nice series, for sure! Hey, where's the fourth one?!

I should have done that with all the various rigs I've had during my tenure with the '69 Econoline, but the problem is that none of them were newer versions of itself, so what's the point? I do have a fun one from when we were first building the house. The year was 2002, but the vehicles in the photo were all from the 1960s, so who's gonna know? :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Here's the latest (oops fintail is on the wrong side):

I wish I had pics of my first car or the various cars in the family during my childhood. Guess I am making up for it. My family always had a 60s car in the driveway through the 90s too, as my dad had a thing for 60s Fords. Sadly, he didn't have a thing for taking pics.
    edited February 2013
    I think the reversed sides can be forgiven. I love the lines on both of those cars; they flow very nicely.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    I love that era C43! I also think its great you took shots of each of your cars with The Fintail. I do have pics of all 6 cars I've owned since I was 16.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    edited February 2013
    Absolutely wonderful pics! 18 in '95?, you're just a kid! LOL! I was 37.

I really liked my W126 ('91 560SEL)... then the 2000 E430 Sport came along and soon after, the 2002 ML500 (had '00 and '02 at the same time). Kept the E430 for 9 yrs. and then sold it to my brother with only 39K miles (then I bought the '09 Bentley to replace it).

The old Rolls has 91,000 original miles. It had 86,000 miles when I bought it in 1998. I think it's worth about $35-$40K now?....I paid $29K plus tax 15 yrs. ago. I've probably put $15K (tune-up, oil changes, repairs, etc.) over 15 yrs. in it which includes $2,500 for new big white-wall radial Coker tires 12 yrs. ago.

It's been worth every penny of enjoyment and the thumbs-up I get when I drive it around makes me keep it. :blush:

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    They both do have an angularity to them - the newer car is losing some of that for the next model year, I like the current design just fine.
    I am a youngster for most of the cars I have owned. Not many people in their teens have a fintail, not many in their 30s either. And not many 20-somethings would be thrilled to find a nice W126, but I was. I am young for the new car too - not just because of its price. I have a few mature tastes maybe.

Fintail has gone around the clock a couple times. It also photographs a little nicer than it is - it is a decent survivor car, but no concours piece. You are probably right on the Rolls value. Speaking of those tires, that's my next plan for the old car, a set of wide whitewall (2 1/4" I think) radials. Probably going into the shop tomorrow morning to see if it can be aligned properly, as the tires wear kind of weird now.
    Oh yeah, I forgot you like some MBs of that era. The C43 was a neat car, it was immaculate and I was the 2nd owner, but it rode pretty hard and had a few quirks, I had it for only a couple years. Finding the E55 was a good excuse to upgrade.

I wish I had pics of the 60 Ford my dad had when I was a teen.
    There's ALWAYS a good excuse to upgrade!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Michaell - While your wife's commute will become longer, my wife's has become shorter. From 20 miles one way (3 days per week) to 2.6 miles one way (3 days per week). No, I'm going to run out and trade in our perfectly good 2011 Pilot EXL w/ Nav & buy (or lease) a 2013 Pilot? NO WAY JOSE!

I'm less than a month away from my year anniversary with driving heaven my 328xi. Miles as of tonight are in the 19,200 range. Good thing I took the 20K per year lease. Things will even out mileage wise. I'll take her Pilot to work once a week, once the weather gets warmer I can drive my Prelude to work too. If I keep piling on the miles, that just means I'll have to focus my car shopping earlier in the summer of 2014.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Would love to upgrade right now but it's just not logical at this point. With hitting 37k on tomorrow morning's commute, my car is just not worth trading. As much as I'm tempted after driving so many new and better vehicles, I'm staying the course and will take care of things. The headliner gets replaced at home on Wednesday morning then it's off to get the tires rebalanced and rotated. The brake pedal is real low and after hard usage, I hear a grinding noise nut will wait till I hear the wear sounds. It just might need the back one's adjusted also, just not sure. Hopefully they'll look them over on Wednesday when they have the wheels off and can really view the pads. I was told that Tires Plus uses a metallic blend pad but I want pads that are really good with minimal brake dust. Hate going to Midas as they upsell too many things but wondering if their warranty is better on a brake job?

All I know is that I'm going to spend some coinage on the Civic this week. Am also due for an oil change as 3/23 is a year, but the mileage minder says I still have 60% life in my oil. Since I do so much freeway driving now, it might be wise to just do the change as I need this vehicle to continue to be as dependable as it has been up to now.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    well, it is a 1 year regardless of miles, so you are pretty close at this point. might as well do it while it is in.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    My thoughts exactly after I read the post. Do have a $17.95 coupon for the Honda dealer so might just go over there afterwards and throw them the change. They always do some kind of look see so I can tell what else might be needed. usually I take that list to my guy and he tackles what ever is needed, if anything. But it's nice to get over to the Honda store and shop a bit as they do the service. Luckily I'm not an impulsive guy so the wife knows that I won't be coming home with a new rig. But she does realize that I've got that itch that eventually will have to be scratched! As I said in an earlier post, some guy at work asked me when I got a new car! He did ask it the day after it was detailed though and it did look fantastic I must say. The guy I found at the supermarket parking lot does a classy job each and every time and since I do the 4 at the same time, he cuts me a bit of a break.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I believe that this is the earliest photo
    of a car that I have,
    1972 Volvo 164E, I purchased in 1974.

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/rayainsw/media/Volvo164E1972Photo_2005_5_27- _12_58_.jpg.html?sort=3&o=40

Interesting [ to me ] that I now drive a car with
    the same engine displacement [ 3.0L ]
    and the same layout [ I6 ] as that 1972...
    - Ray
    Though some things HAVE advanced since then .....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    I've looked for years for pics of the family's beloved '53 Buick Special. My brother finally found a couple, but you really can't tell much about the car.

At grandma's house and at the cabin. The date stamp on the cabin shot is probably pretty close to when the photo was taken, so the Buick would have been 9 that year. Thus my old man would not have been posting in here. :)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    I am a youngster for most of the cars I have owned

I definately fall into that category. I remember buying my 2003 Avalon at 24 and the salesperson said I was the youngest Avalon buyer ever at their dealership. LOL, I said did you realize I pulled up in an 89 Town Car?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    There's ALWAYS a good excuse to upgrade!

Bad weather - need AWD. Your life depends on it.

Gas price spike - FWD. Can't afford not to.

Bored with the new car - must get RWD, they have soul, YOLO, etc.

Rinse, repeat.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    I can't think of a good reason at the moment. I love my 135i too much. I would prefer better gas mileage on the beater, but the volvo has such low miles and is so pleasant for a beater that I can't currently make sense of getting rid of it. The Leaf, of course, is a lease. The only one that has even crossed my mind is the T&C... but what the hell would we replace it with? A new comparable one is WAY too expensive, and I'm pretty damned sure we are upside-down in the current one anyway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Ha!

The new 3.0 probably puts out 3x the power and gets 50% better mileage.
    You, Andre, and lemko seem to have very similar tastes. I do have to say an Avalon is the Toyota I would consider most, too. Funny line about the TC.

I was asked more than once if my W126 was inherited, and I've had many similar questions about the fintail.
    Yes we do. I'm pretty sure Lemko and I both have Grand Marquis currently.

The new Avalon is actually quite a departure from the older models. It is a bit smaller and based on some owner reports here on Edmunds, it rides much firmer than previous models. Sign of the times, I guess. It looks like a nice car except for the big mouth bass grill, that is similar to the Fusion. I hope that trend goes away soon.

I am surprised Andre doesn't have a 70s TC out in his back 40.

The new Avalon is certainly homely from the front, but I bet it rides and drives nicer than a Camry. Loaded up though, would be tough not to simply move over to an ES - at least I'd get a free snack while waiting for the car at service time :shades:
    I bought an Avalon twice over the ES mostly because it was a bigger car. Now that they are the same size, it would be hard to pick the Avalon over the ES. I'm sure if you keep the options list short the ES isn't that much more expensive than the Avalon.

ES might have more standard, too. Dealer experience might seal the deal - local Lexus place is pretty swanky, Toyota dealer is what one would expect.

A co-worker who is my age drives an ES - she loves it. Mostly just because of the features and reliability - it's near 100K now (07), zero issues.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Which is precisely why you should keep it. :)
    When I first saw my grandmother's 1991 Town Car, I fell in love with it. I still have a soft spot for those things, but I used to dream of owning that car some day. Oddly enough, the other car I really liked at the same time was on the opposite end of the spectrum.... a 1992 Geo Tracker. :blush:

Of course, I ended up with my '69 Econoline van (which was a hand-me-down) and still have that silly thing. Yeah, I'm a youngin' too.
    Looks nice on the inside, but pretty homely on the outside. That said, the inside is where the driver spends his time... :shades:
    1991 Town Car

91 was the year the LTC got the 4.6L. It was a big step-up in power. My Grandfather had a 93 LTC Cartier. The seats were amazing!