Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Not surprised on the Verano. As you discovered, the Regal isn't a bad car, but there are much better options in that price range. If it was $5 -7k less it might be a good buy.

GM set their sights too high and forgot how bad they burned consumers. I read somewhere that Buick touts the average age of their buyer has decreased. Typical GM thinking, so what if you decreased age by 5 years, appeal to younger consumers with the Regal/Verano or you'll be bankrupt again. No one under 60 who is looking for an entry level luxury car will cross shop Buick with an Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, etc. Forget what Buick WAS and build a better brand to get the consumers you're targeting.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    the new GM cars aren't bad, but they certainly aren't competitive.

Not to mention a Civic will be worth a few times more than a Buick in 5-10 years.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,381
    I am sure I have seen plenty, but they make so little of an impression on me, I doubt I even noticed them.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    "One other thing on the Verano, it had the fixed glass panel in the A pillar. Not sure why they think that's a good idea. It didn't work on the 1992 Lumina APV and it doesn't work today."

There was an article on TTAC today about this very sort of issue:
    DLO fail
    I agree, and while value is somewhat based on perception the numbers are what they are for a reason. It takes time for the pendulum to swing, so if GM and Ford are truly building better vehicles it will take time to change public opinion. Too many of us grew up in the 80's and experienced the junk Detroit pushed out and then saw our parents move to imports and get the quality that was non-existent in the American models. It takes time to rebuild trust, and probably some luck along the way.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I agree about GM setting their sights too high. Regal (Opel Insignia) is not an upmarket car in Europe - think of it as a German Malibu/Impala. Trying to make it something higher here was a dangerous game, and has probably failed. As well, Europe gets wagons and tuned versions to improve brand equity - we have neither.

A nice car, but well-equipped, gets in the neighborhood of legitimate premium brands, and that's dangerous.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Tried a new Dart the other day and while it's a nice looking thing and the seat was more comfortable than I thought it would be, still not class leading in so many ways. Every day after work, I get back into my Civic with just over 37k and think to myself...this ain't that bad considering it's almost 7 years old! And it ain't and it still gets great mileage to boot. Someone at work thinks it's brand new and now with the new headliner, it feels that way. So to buy new right now is foolish, wasteful and illogical. The $ that's coming my way shortly will go into retirement accounts and muni bonds as the wife wants and maybe purchase some stock that i want but no new vehicle for The Sandman at this juncture!

Also agree that GM needs to make cars the public wants to buy...good looking, economical fun vehicles that show quality like Lexus, Acura and the other imports. The, and only then will GM, Ford and Chrysler become the company's that they can be. It's doable, absolutely!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Wish I could say I was disappointed about your Dart experience but I'm not surprised. As to your Civic, a friend of mine had a 2006 EX coupe and he drove the hell out of it. Last time I drove it there was about 160k on the clock and I was amazed at how well it drove and how tight it was. My parents had a 2002 Camry with over 225k on it that was the same, solid and quiet. Neither were perfect but they were light years ahead of any domestic or Korean car I've been in with a quarter of the miles.

When the itch becomes too great let me know, I want your Civic. :)
    My son already has dibs but you'll be 2nd if he changes his mind. People know I take pretty good care of my vehicles, and now we have four with the girls in the herd. I take care of them all, service them and make sure things are up to date. They both know that when the time comes, I'll just take 'em to my guy and the necessary things will get done. But it's my pleasure as my kids are our life, we put their needs first and love 'em to death and besides loving them, we also like them, something I don't think my parents ever cared about. My parenting style is different. So of course I treat their cars like my own...keep 'em serviced and clean.

Like I said, the Dart drove nicely and was somewhat comfortable. Not sure I'd buy one except if the price was such that it would be a no brainer. Even the mini van I drove the other day was a comfortable driver, smooth and all but a bit top heavy and when I took one to Tampa and it was windy, just didn't like the way it got pushed around on the interstate. But great seats and nice fabric make for a comfortable seat. The real sleeper of the bunch has been the Chrysler 200...I had a top of the line one on Friday and it was very impressive to say the least. Even the two other mid level one's were very nice...comfortable, smooth and great acceleration put a smile on my face...it drives like a much larger vehicle. Waiting to try the mid sized Dodge Avenger and it's siblings. Someone else got to it before me on Friday but hopefully I'll get a turn very soon. Again, these domestics are not something I'd look to purchase unless the deal was such that it would be so stupid not to, meaning if the car sold for a ridiculous discount. Let's be honest, any vehicle can get ya from point A to point B...it's the creature comforts that make it what it is, and of course the way the vehicle rides.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    I'm sure the LaCrosse is nice, but I would never cross shop it against the Lexus ES. It's apples and oranges,

IDK I found the Lacrosse was more car and had equal interior materials and refinement than the previous generation ES. It was every bit if not quieter and the technology was pretty much equal. The Lacrosse also is larger inside.

I do prefer the Toyota 3.5 to the Generals 3.6. It is just a tad nicer at high RPM and makes a little more torque down low.

I haven't been in the new ES yet, so I can't comment there.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

You're one of the few who actually took the time to make the comparison. In initial look and feel the Buick holds its own. I can't compare the ES to the LaCrosse because I haven't drive them lately. GM needs to get the 30/40-something crowd excited about their products. Right now Buick isn't on the radar for younger/middle aged buyers. Until they give the target market a reason to stop by the Buick dealership they'll continue to struggle. Lincoln is in the same boat, only they have more holes in the bottom of the boat.

Both companies need to build a game changer and neither of them have that in the works. Put today's equivalent of a 1961 Continental or a late '60's Eldorado on the market and they might have a chance. The ATS might be a step in the right direction but it's throwing water at a forest fire.
    Exactly, what does the Regal compete with? It reminds me of the Maxima in a way, a good car in its own but not directly competitive with anything.

And while I get cashing in on brand heritage, a Regal wasn't the pinnacle of GM's success for today's market. Who draws on experience and aspires to buy a Regal??

It's a tough road ahead for GM but they can't blame anyone but themselves. If you know how to build a good car, which they might, then get a marketing department who can persuade buyers to come back. The brand equity is long dead, they have to reinvent themselves. It doesn't matter if you have a great product if no one knows about it.

Perception is reality, like it or not.
    Agree here, my folks fell into this category in 1968 and bought an Eldorado and then another Toronado...great coupes with features that folks in their 40's really wanted. The Eldo was blue vinyl over blue...a very stunning automobile! I crashed it into the garage once while I was learning to drive right after the folks left for a month in Spain...oh well, life did go on. But great looking car and a blast to drive. Even the Toronado's were a heap of fun...big suckers for coupes but fun to drive.

Liked the Lacrosse we looked at yesterday...had a classy looking dash and nice looking fabric. A big car for sure but between that and an Es350, no question I'd go with the Lexus in a heartbeat...it just says "class" so much more than the Buick and it's probably put together with more care. We used to be a Toyota family, had four over the years, and loved them all. It's just that the other guys caught up in quality and refinement so we jumped ship. Now we go with whomever has what we are looking for. And right now value, great mileage and the best warranty are what we want but not in that specific order. As we discussed at dinner earlier, the Mazda stays as long as it behaves...she won't buy a 2013 model so we have to wait. If the a/c goes, then I have to fix it as she's decided not to use the kid's Accent for a long period of time. So it'll have to be fixed which just means the car stays that much longer and maybe she'll go for a 2015 and we'll see 200k on the clock. Wouldn't be the worst case scinerio(?) in the world and this way we'd save more cash. But time will tell and we'll buy when and what kind when she decides, not me.

The Maxima has a tough row to hoe now that the 2013 Altima has updated technology like a color display in the instrument cluster.
    Regal might have fared better becoming a Malibu than something with more upmarket dreams. But production costs are probably too much for something destined for fleets - no doubt that would be true if they wore a "W" VIN. Of course, making the Malibu not a fleet queen might help that. I also agree that for aspirational customers today, the name "Regal" doesn't hold much clout.
    Fun article. The oversized greenhouse/black panel is one thing that makes the Prius and Lexus HS awkward to my eyes.
    Nothing at Buick really interests me these days and I'm probably their target demographic they'd like to have as a customer.

I was busy playing Legos with my son today when an ad for the new Buick Encore (crossover) came on. I wasn't paying attention until I heard the announcer saying it's a new kind of luxury crossover yada yada yada. When I looked up to see what they're talking about I almost lost it because all I saw was a bloated hatchback with chrome wheels and Buick grille. Definetly not something I'd want at any price. Looks very cartoonish:

Cartoony is a good way to describe it, and it has that black triangle in front of the front door glass, too. The whole thing gives me a definite Chinese vibe as well - and I don't mean that in a good way.
    Feels tight and uncomfortable just by looking at it. Like a 4 door smart car suv on steroids almost.

Completely agree with both sentiments. And boomcheck you're spot on with the comment about being the customer the want (need), but they definitely aren't appealing to that demographic.
    Liked the Lacrosse we looked at yesterday...had a classy looking dash and nice looking fabric. A big car for sure but between that and an Es350, no question I'd go with the Lexus in a heartbeat...it just says "class" so much more than the Buick and it's probably put together with more care

You mention "fabric" I don't think it is fair to compare what apparently is a base model LaCrosse to a high line PIII/Touring model. There is a big difference.

Lexus makes a fine automobile, no doubt. I've owned my share of Toyotas and all served me well. IMHO the LaCrosse is a better car (and a much better value) than the outgoing ES. The new ES has probably caught up, but I haven't compared it. I know that Lexus better be careful as from what I'm reading both here on Edmunds and elsewhere is that they have firmed up the ride quite a bit. There are some loyalists who are not happy. Heck there is a member here who bought a 2013 Avalon (which ES is now based on) and traded it within a few thousand miles because of the harsh ride.

RE: Encore,
    I have to agree on that particular Buick. I don't get it. If anything why didn't they just badge engineer the Equinox/Terrian/SRX into a Buick? They do it with everything else.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    These continue to tempt me!

But that transmission, as good as it is reported to be for performance, scares the hell out of me for the frequency of clutch changes (every 20k!). Why can't I find one like this with a stick? Arg!

And, believe it or not, that one is still overpriced. I should be able to score that for $22-23k. And that is the cheapest one I found with those miles. Others were $30k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The proportions are awkward and I don't like the area under the headlights (air intake? piece of black trim?).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    2013 Avalon ... harsh ride

I think it's those enormous rims they're putting on these cars. Totally unnecessary.
    No car will make you both respected and laughed at more. ;)
    enormous rims

It could be, but my LaCrosse has 18" 50 series and rides pretty smooth. I do agree for most 4 door average sedans 17" should be plenty.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    I bet the Encore sells well to women. Tall visibility and easy to park. Just a hunch...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

edited March 2013
    No car will make you both respected and laughed at more

I assume you are talking about just this forum. But laughed at? really?

It does make me wonder what my relatives would think. As soon as people say it, I'd pretty much be jumping right in with "you wouldn't believe how cheap they are!"

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Perhaps empathy/pity are better words.

I'm referring to running costs.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,697
    edited March 2013
    So I had an ad on craigslist all prepared for my 530i, and was a click away from posting it, but opted out at the last minute.

Like I've said, with the "new-to-me" 335xi, the 530i is sort of redundant in purpose, and I would like a hatchback or small SUV instead. But, I'm finding myself a bit sentimental about the 5. Other cars I've sold - the A5, GTI - are easily replaced in the event I changed my mind. But finding another E39 manual/sport pkg in the condition of my car probably won't happen again.

I'm probably just being dumb and overly sentimental about a car, but nothing wrong with holding onto it a while longer - perhaps the Denver Auto Show at the end of the month will make me change my mind.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I don't know much about those, but sure seems like an awesome car for the price of an Accord (at least initially).

Would it replace the 135i? Forget about being anonymous anymore.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    This is prime time for car sellers -- folks get their tax refund and many look to upgrade their rides.
    When I worked at Ferrari, we even stayed away from keeping any pre 2006 Maseratis in stock just because of the dual select transmission and other wear and tear issues. Clutch, tires, and brakes needed to be done on an annual basis which usually cost between $10-$20k. :surprise:

Went over to Sarasota this morning...nice crisp day but loads of traffic after Ft. Myers. Picked out a Kia Sportage and was about to open the rear door to stash my stuff when another co-worker jumps in the front seat and says, "sorry" as he closes the door. Man was I pissed but he just smiled and drove it into line. I've tried to be so nice so far and given cars to others with a preference but now with this dude...pay backs are gonna be a [non-permissible content removed]! Totally classless person but he's a foreigner and doesn't get the American way I suspect. Anyways, it was a rotten thing to do as he saw me right there and then to smile at me as he drove away...really stinky!

The boss saw all this so he called me over and put me into an Altima and just said not to get shook over it...he's a really cool guy to work for. Had my aux cable so had good tunes the way over which put me into a better frame of mind. Car drove very nicely and the few times I got up to past 90, the car performed like a champ...no shaking or loss of traction though the car had just over 24k on the clock. The only thing it needed, badly, was an alignment as the steering wheel was cocked to the right a bit and not straight as I prefer. Nissan did a nice job with these and am looking forward to driving a new 2013 model for a longer road trip. Weather was picture perfect and the rest of the day went great. Was very happy to get the gig. Have also applied for a similar job at another company as I hear they are going to do theirs in house very soon...not good for our company which will mean less work. I have to look out for my future and personally, I'd like a more defined schedule with set work days and hours so I can really have a life. We shall see how this all pans out. This is a business I'd like to stay in with more hours and a set schedule. As I always say, "life is timing...what's meant to be will happen"!

Would it replace the 135i?

Well, yes, it would have to. And that's the toughest part. As I've said to the wife, I could only trade the bimmer for something real special, like a Porsche or Maserati. But, hell, I've got a whole stack of mods waiting to be put on the 1er this month before my next track event 4/8-4/9.

boom - i guess it depends on how much you drive it. The life of the clutch ranges from what I've found. Folks report 20k up to even 40k, although the lower seems to be the more common. I don't think anyone is putting 20k per year on their maserati, but I could be wrong. I've put about 1k per month on average on my 1. Even at every other year, its an expensive proposition.

I would think it'd be pretty hard to replace the 135i - it's so well-rounded for a fun everyday car and upkeep is pretty modest, particularly relative to something like the Maserati.

This is prime time for car sellers -- folks get their tax refund and many look to upgrade their rides.

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm thinking now would be a good time to go ahead with selling the 530i. Sounds like the market is prime for sellers right now.

We'll see - it's just a matter of time as gradually psych myself up for it.

When I worked at Ferrari, we even stayed away from keeping any pre 2006 Maseratis in stock just because of the dual select transmission and other wear and tear issues. Clutch, tires, and brakes needed to be done on an annual basis which usually cost between $10-$20k.

Congrats, Boom. I have to think you have successfully convinced Q out of a Maserati. You've certainly convinced me. :)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    2009 135i M Sport

Just about my favorite color combination, and the price seems reasonable. I have a CCA buddy in the vicinity who has bought a few cars from that dealer and has offered to check it out as well as find out how firm that price is...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

RB: I don't know that you are a chronic car buyer, but you are definitely a chronic car shopper.

I do like the red interior.

One word...STUNNING! If I were in the market, it had an auto tranny and had that $ coming my way right now, I'd call this my perfect vehicle! But since none of these things have happened yet, I'll stay the course. But seriously, that's a very sweet vehicle and would make me a very happy camper to own a slushbox model. RB and Breld, you're lucky your wives get it with these vehicles...wish mine did. I really want a super fun car next time, something besides an econobox!

Will the wheel locks that we've got on the '05 Mazda fit another vehicle? When we do trade it, is it worth it to take those with us and use them on her next or my vehicle? Or are these things vehicle specific? Very curious here as they came gratis with the car, we put a deposit down on a charcoal colored car but they located this one and brought it over from across the state. Guess they hoped we'd like it and turns out, we really did and were very happy things worked out as they did. Still are and when it's cleaned up properly, it's still a very good looking vehicle! Am still gonna have my detail guy take a whack at it and clean the oxidized headlamps. Think it'll be $ well spent as we could keep it another year possibly. We talked Sunday night and decided to wait and see what happens. Clean it up and do the headlamps first and then if the a/c does crap out, fix it also if it's not super expensive. Am not getting the alignment policy though, as the tires are not even a year yet and it drives straight and true. We'll gamble that it'll stay in specs and won't prematurely ruin the sneakers. She still loves the car and cars today can go upwards of 300k I'm sure with proper maintenance.

The Insomniatic Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

edited March 2013
    It has been a shade over 14 months since I bought my '08 with 42k optioned the same way except for the trans, and it looks like the value is still right around the same. You should be able to knock it down another $1k without too much of a fight.

Just check the in service date to see how much warranty, if any, is left. It is due for plugs at 45k, which will be covered under the free service if still within 48 months. With 19.9 mpg average showing, its definitely been run hard. Also, those are the same silly putty wheels mine came with. Be prepared to replace those with aftermarket wheels when they crack/bend. And, last but far from least, it is going to need a carbon cleaning of the valves. Again, if under warranty, there is a small chance you could get that covered if you make nice with your service advisor.

If they came from Mazda, they may be specific to the vehicle. I think you can get generic ones at Autozone.

My GLI seems to be missing the key for its wheel locks. Hope they can get that straightened out at the follow-up service visit they scheduled for me this Saturday.
    I hate wheel locks. You always have to make sure anyone working on the car puts the key back in, etc. I once had the dealer strip one on my Solara and had to have the car towed when I had a flat. My big mouth got the dealership to cover the whole thing, as they were the only people who touched that car.

Also, they aren't that secure. A true thief will just get a master set like the dealers have and steal the wheels anyway.

edited March 2013
    I did this before:

How To Remove Wheel Locks Without a Key

http://youtu.be/mJUUyjJqk5A

The hard part is separating it afterwards. With half a million views, every car thief in the whole world knows how to get around them.

Promise I only "stole" my own rims. ;)
    Wheel locks are just like the "Club" only a mild deterrent to the casual thief. I think everyone knows a pair of bolt cutters/hacksaw to the steering wheel makes quick work of removing it.

If a professional thief wants your wheels, the whole car, or to enter your house. There is no stopping them, only slowing them down.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Folks' responses have piqued my interest, but the link doesn't bring anything up for me. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    The fact that it's a DI engine gives me pause, as it seems that no one has solved the intake valve deposit issue. Also, wastegates and turbos don't fail all that often, but when they do...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    just trading in for most of you (ahem, ahem, ahem), but I've told you before that we're in it for the "long haul" with my wife's 2011 Pilot EXL w/ Navigation. Well, with just over 32,000 miles on the odometer (since May 2011) I noticed the front right tire is down to the wear bars, the front left tire is brand new (maybe 4,000 miles - thank-you metal shrapnel in costco parking lot), and the rears couldn't be rotated the last time we took it to the dealer because he said they would make a tremendous amount of noise. So I started looking around a tire prices. The Good Year Forteras that came with it don't seem to be doing the trick (I don't want to be buying tires every year & a half), so I did some digging and noticed that the Pilot Touring (which I should of bought because it has a power liftgate, but I didn't like the wheels or the DVD player built in to the roof) came with Michelin Latitude Tires. These are more expensive than the Good Years, but if they wear better and I can keep them longer than it is worth the extra expense to me. They get fantastic reviews online.

I checked tire rack, costco, and a local Good Year place that I've used before. They were all basically the same price, so I stuck with the local guy. As of this afternoon, I'll be $900 poorer (including mounting and balancing) :sick: .

Interesting side note. I purchased a set of 18" tires for my Mom's 2011 Cayenne that actually came out to be less expensive than the 17" Michelins I'm buying for my wife's Pilot.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD