Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• 06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    no not flooded either i met and spoke with the previos owner and he is just one of those guys that always trades like me
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Hello, I checked some other messages that mention a clicking noise coming from the dashboard. I don't know if this is the same thing but I noticed that after using the car for some errands after the third restart of the car or so I will notice a clacking or tapping sound coming from the engine at idle. The car before this time is quiet, and the noise only starts after I've started and stopped a few times, turning the engine off each time.
    Its a brand new car with less than 200 miles on it so I am a little surprised that it is making a noise at all. I just want to make sure it isn't a piston problem or something.

I also notice that the steering is very tight at parking speed, and that the wheel doesn;t snap back to center after making a turn, it almost seems dead. Regular steering seems fine if a little stiff.
    The interesting thing is that the brochure doesn't even mention what kind of steering the Impala uses-is it speed sensitive (if it is it ain;t wotking!), is it electric?
    Thanks for any info.
  • 66novss66novss Member Posts: 12
    Do you have the SS(with the V8) or the other models with the V6? There is a TSB on engine noise with the V6 engine. No electric steering on the Impalas, might want to have your dealer look at that.
  • jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    Here we go again. I'd just stopped thinking about the mysterious dead battery problem I had a month ago and my car gives me something else to annoy me. When I started the car after coming out of a store I had nothing but static on all terrestrial radio stations (XM was working fine). After shutting off the car and letting it sit for a few minutes it was working again. :mad:

Anyone heard of this problem?
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    jr68,

Check posting #1205 on Impala Radio forum: there is a TSB on Impala radio relating to "start-up" problem with the DSP IC inside radio that may cause reception problem among other things. When you shut the car down, you basically restarted the radio again. That may fix the problem until next time.

jt
    I looked up the TSB on 2006 Impala's and couldn't come up with anything.
    I have the 2LT with the smaller V6 (211HP)
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I took delivery of my 2LT last week and so far so good. No static on the radio, no clicking sounds, etc. CU commented on the "unsettled ride" amd the wind whistle. I've had it up to 75 on a windy day and I get the normal wind sound I have in the Cadillac Deville and other cars I've driven. Nothing out of the ordinary. The ride is perfectly normal as well -smooth on good roads and you can feel bumps through the wheels on bad roads but the car itself is steady. I frankly don'y know what CU is talking about.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Sales of the 2006 Impala/Grand Prix/Cadillac STS slowed in February increasing inventories from 55 day supply to 78 day supply on these cars. Sales expectations are lower then expected. DC & Toyota sales increased in the same time period.

The car connection indicates March 13th that the auto workers in Canada have accepted the offer to GM to build the next generation Camaro. GM will decide soon to build the Camaro (Zeta) and the next generation Impala/Monte Carlo starting in 2009 at their Oshawa facilities as 2010 models. GM indicates the next Impala will probably be AWD. Interesting....
  • tacoman1tacoman1 Member Posts: 6
    Bought the '06 Impala SS a little under 2 weeks ago. Nothing else out there in the under $28k range with the power speed fun ratio. I love that the car isn't noticed really. That was a selling point for me. The wind noise wasn't a big detractor. Window tint greatly reduced the noise levels. Had to do that being here in AZ.
    Love the car already have 1000+ miles.
    Thank you very very much. I printed it out and will show it to my dealer.
    I guess Chevy doesn't tell people about TSB's unless they notice the problem.
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    I have had my LTZ for about six months. In that time I have had a tire replaced (twice), tires balanced 4 or 5 times, and the alignment redone 3 times. That is not even taking in the other times that message lights have pulled me to the dealership. I had used the remote start only to find that when I went to leave I had a light on telling me the engine had overheated. The temperature gauge registered NOTHING. I just had the service traction control message for the second time. The powertrain was an issue according to the diagnostic run by ONSTAR. The heated seats have yet to work properly, even though they were supposedly fixed with updated software and now I am waiting to see what is done when the car is in next week for the latest sensor to be replaced. The salesman (a good friend that I trust) is telling me that there is a recall on the seats now---guess they must really think they can fix them this time.
    I had an '03 Impala that I loved. This one, though, is one of the biggest car mistakes I ever made. I am seriously trying to figure out how to trade without losing too much. It is pretty bad when one can't pull out of a driveway without the car dying and message lights coming on.
    My other complaint is that only one of the message lights that I have encountered have ever shown up on the car's computer data.
    I guess the only thing good I can find is I have not had the clicking noises so many have complained about in these messages.
    I am very disappointed hearing of the problems people are having with their new Impalas. It seems that there are just as many issues with this 2006 Impala (just different) that plagued many of the 00-05s. Sure there will be glitches but with the number of problems continually popping up with this car, re; reliability/quality issues, its time that GM understands that quality is the key component in building a reputation that sells cars that encourages the consumer to buy again. You would think that after nearly 100 years of building cars Chevy would have it down by now. Its obvious Toyota/Honda not been around even half that time, continue to get thumbs up with every car/truck comparison thats made. They know what it takes to keep consumers happy and coming back. Quality/Reliability/Value. They learn from the mistakes that the big 3 continue to make. Come on GM you can do better then this!
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Just passed over the 2month and 5000km mark with my LTZ. I've had zero problems. I had an '01 LS before, and my new LTZ is head and shoulders above that car. I can't get over how much I love this car.

I guess the real question is did I get a uncommonly good '06, or have some of the others posting here gotten uncommonly bad '06s? I suppose time will tell.
    Actually the clicking sound (which from the TSB seems to be an easy dealer fix) is the only problem I have had. The rest of the car has been flawless.
    Its unusual for a new car to have zero problems. This one little barely audible clicking sound that there is a fix for is not a problem for me.
    Everything else is working great and the car feels like a tank, which is good driving over crappy NY roads!
    I didn't say that it should have zero problems. I said there will be glitches but it seems right now there are many experiencing the same problems. Its a known fact that first year models will experience more issues then later production cars, but GM has a history of not solving problems quickly when they arise. I hope that Chevy gets these issues resolved for those that have clicking dashboards and seats that won't heat etc., and have fixed these problems now for those Impalas rolling down the assembly line today. I am sure though by mid June when the 2007 production begins the next years models will have these problems figured out.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    There may some issues with this new model but keep it in perspective.

Check out the Honda forum for the new Civic and you will see several issues of complaints including noises in the front end, loud engine noise, etc. The Civic was delayed in it's introduction for other problems found before release. The Accord is notorious for bad transmissions. At the Toyota forum there was a couple who had problems with their new Corolla's steering locking up that required a new steering column, etc.
    Keep it in prospective?. Alright, Honda/Toyota have been higher rated for several years in quality/resale value by every car magazine & road test TV show out there. I know you will say they are all biased. Whats to be biased about? GM spends millions advertising in Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Road & Track etc. and still rated below Toyota/Honda when comparisons are made, and watch out for this Korean Sonata. I have always been a chevy guy but not afraid to give credit to car companies that have been around for less time, from foreign countries spanking the US manufacturers on their own turf, by American consumers who love Japanese products. Sure they all have issues but getting to be #1 and #2 in sales year after year the american public must know what they like. GM, Ford & DC have to do better then fitting in the middle somewhere. Thats where they have been the last 20 years. GM was the measuring stick for automobiles not too many years ago. My main complaint with GM is that when problems arise they take their time in fixing them. Nothing made up here. Sometimes the truth hurts.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Please check Odyssey, Pilot, Accord discussions for examples of things that don't "get fixed" fast.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Please check Odyssey, Pilot, Accord discussions for examples of things that don't "get fixed" fast.

>GM is that when problems arise they take their time in fixing them

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Off topic: Correct me if I am wrong. There is nothing that GM offers that comes close to competing with the Odyssey and the Honda Accord. Both on the reccommended list of all testers year after year. Picked at the top of their class. I believe they both have one of the highest consumer satisfaction reports of vehicles in their segments. What else can anyone say. I drive Chevys. Its more of a loyalty then anything else. Not as many loyal GM fans as there use to be. Were a dying breed.
    Ask mechanics which cars they recommend. My mechanic had a Hyundai Sante Fe on the rack and he showed me the cheap CV Joint they were using and laughed at how crappy it was.
    He recommended the Impala to me.
    My mothers friend has a Nissan Altima and it has been recalled 9 times! Nothing but problems with it.
    I will say that Honda and Toyota have fewer problems in some areas, but they are known for having some problems-sludge in Toyota engines for one. I do think they use higher quality parts for everyday items such as power windows, other controls, etc.
    GM engines and transmissions are generally considered to be quite reliable.
    The new Impala has switches and controls that do seem to be much better than older models. Time will tell. I do have to say that I'm impressed so far with the car.
    I am glad you are happy with your car so far. The 2006 Impala is a good car. I am not knocking the car. Its the top selling GM car but not the segment leader of the competition. If GM would put the effort into the rest of their cars lines like they have with the Corvette (a bargain priced at that) which gets thumbs up by every Magazine/Television tester and is the competition leader in its segment, then GM might fight their way back.

All cars have their problems. And we all have stories of one or two people that would reccommend one car over another. I have friends that swear by Toyotas and would never go back to American cars ever. The proof of a cars success is its sales (year after year) not a couple people or a mechanic or two. The Impala fits in the middle. It will probably sell 275,000 this year (35% will be fleets) so it fits somewhere in the middle of the pack. I have been driving chevys for over 38 years but not afraid to point out weaknesses and changes that need to be made hopefully to make the car better the next model year and sympathize with those having problems with their 2006 Impalas. If everyone was competely happy with their car every year, it would never get better. If you have a problem with your Impala make sure your Chevy dealership hears about it. Its a good car but needs to keep updated to meet or match the competition. The Japanese/Koreans are not sitting on their hands. Good luck with your 2006 Impala Steve
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    2006 Impala is a recommended car with Consumer Reports now with a "very good" reliability rating.

I would not take the complaints here as being representative of total quality. Impala is a new model this year so there will be some initial glitches but I would not hesitate to buy one today if I was in the market.
    Wait three months and order a 2007, sure to have many of these issues dealt with by then, and probably a few new updates & minor changes to the car.
    Sorry, but most auto makers are slow in responding to problems. Toyota took quite a long time, and pending law suites, to finally admit to their engine sludge problems. GM has had many vehicles rated better in certain categories than Toyota and Honda, so again keep it in perspective.

I wish I still had the article but there was a research article a few years ago that showed people who buy Japanese cars are generally not honest when it comes to their problems. In surveys they are not documenting part failures as they happen. Some are convinced by the service writers that the warranty claim or problems that they are having with their Toyota, Honda, etc., are normal wear and tear issues, when they are not.

Remember that people usually come to the forums because they want to vent their anger. It isn't too often that you have people who have no negative issues to talk about. Again take a look at the other forums and you will find a lot of disappointed car owners.
    Oh, and Toyota by far spends more $$$$ in marketing and advertising than GM, or anyone else. Just watch your TV someday and the majority of the auto commercials are Toyota's with trucks falling off hills, being washed away by water tides, and they are undamaged and drive away fine.

Nissan brought out a rude, crude truck called an Xterra a few years ago. This gas guzzler wasn't anything special but their marketing showed it as a tough truck capable of Land Rover like abilities. This is what they went after is recognition as something that can go anywhere and they installed Rover like roof racks, etc. Now the marketing has paid off and people are starting to buy it. Some how it was actually voted SUV of the year for 2006.

Remember, people tend to believe what the see and hear and the perception of good and bad are everything to them even though they may have gotten misinformation about the product.

Marketing is everything, and GM has not been to good at it in recent history. That is why they dumped their previous marketing company. "It's not you father's Oldsmobile."
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I was thinking that not being noticed would be a good thing as well. Unfortunately, in my first full day of ownership, I was nabbed by SC trooper doing 84 in a 70. Sounds silly but I was a victim of unfamiliarity with the speedo. My '02 Monte Carlo SS had numbers for every 10 mph, the Impala SS is every 20. I caught myself making the mistake several times that day but unfortunately, the cop caught me when I was daydreaming. It is SO easy to speed with this car...but, I don't mind. :)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “Oh, and Toyota by far spends more $$$$ in marketing and advertising than GM, or anyone else. Just watch your TV someday and the majority of the auto commercials are Toyota's with trucks falling off hills, being washed away by water tides, and they are undamaged and drive away fine.”

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:7oUJ3WgCyhsJ:battellemedia.com/archives/Inte- - - rnet%2520Monthly%2520Volume%25203%2520Number%25201.pdf+gm+%22ad+spending%22+toyo- - - ta+2006+ford+daimler&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=39

Do you have a source & numbers to back up that statement?

My math based on numbers published here suggests that GM in 2004 ( I have seen no 2005 final numbers ) spent approx. $3.8B – and Toyota spent $1.8B.

- Ray
    Who really would like to see where this statement comes from . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    "People who buy Japanese cars are NOT generally honest with their problems? What do you do sit at home making this stuff up! Toyota spends more money advertising? Maybe they do. They are a very smart wealthy company and have invested wisely and are at the top of their game. GM is in a financial mess, everyone knows that. If they can't find their way soon they to will end like AMC, Studebaker, Packard and all the rest that fell by the wayside. Toyota Honda have 6 cars in the top 10 of Consumers Reports top 10 cars for 2006. Not 1 American car made the list. First time in 20 years that the top 10 list has been compiled. Its not Japanese people buying Hondas/Toyotas its the American public. Your neighbors, co-workers etc. If Chevy doesn't keep this 2006 Impala fresh for 2007 they will not be competitve with the fast changing/improving competition. I hope they are on the ball.
    If you are considering an Impala SS wait until June (if you can) and order a 2007. There will be some improvements but nothing major. The current glitches affecting the 2006 will probably been taken care of. Waiting just 3 months will also give you a car a model year newer as well.

If you can wait 15 months order a 2008 Impala SS. It will be the Impala's 50th anniversary and there will probably be a special edition SS.

LOL..If you can wait until 2011 it will be Chevrolets 100 anniversary and probably special editions offered on all models...

Just something to think about.
  • sbb2sbb2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. on the future Impala. Currently, my 01 Intrigue has over 225,000 miles. It runs excellent and still looks great but realize it will not run for ever, this is why I'm gathering info on the Impala. What about fuel requirements on the Chevy?
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    The manual states 91 octane for maximum performance. I have a GXP which has had 7000 miles of 87 octane and shows no noticeable problems.

Mike :)
  • sbb2sbb2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Mike, if I do purchase the SS maybe I can use 91 octane every 3rd or 4th fill-up. What are your likes/dislikes regarding your GXP?
    Bias is something that tends to follow a herd mentality. That isn't meant as an insult to anyone who puts their faith in the various reviewers out there, it's more about trust. Due to the dark days of the American automotive industry, it's hard for many to trust that American makes have closed the gap or matched the quality levels of foreign (Asian/German/etc) makes. Personally, I'm an American nameplate loyalist for the most part but I would buy a foreign model if I found one that has what I want in my price range. Unfortunately for the foreign makes, there isn't a V-8 sedan anywhere close to the price of the Impala.
    As for Consumer Reports and the others, I have often found them to be inaccurate in the simple details about vehicles i.e. powertrain options, trim levels, etc. I have also owned cars that, according to them, should have been nothing but trouble. Most notable, my '87 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo. It was covered with solid dark circles but I had only one minor problem, an O2 sensor, in over 6OK miles. They are hard on manufacturers and have long memories. Unfortunately, just as they assume poor quality standards will continue with American makes, they make the same assumption that high quality will follow the Japanese brands. While it is easy to judge things based on past performance, it's not always accurate.
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I'm glad that you evedently have great respect for the opinions of Consumer Reports. Have you read the March issue? With all the hoopla over the "Top Ten", guess which car got the "recommended" buy in the family sedan class? THE '06 IMPALA!!!!! Isn't it interesting that Impala was considered "not only testing well but also have shown average or better reliability and performed at least adequately in crash-tested or included in a government rollover test." That's right!! The Impala got the same recommendation as the Toyota Avalon and Camry, Honda Accord, and a number of other "quality" Japanese cars.

Consumer Reports further listed the Impala's reliability as "very good". That's the same as the Honda Accord 6-cylinder and better than the Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima and Altima. Don't be brainwashed. American cars, for the most part, are no better or no worse that many of the foreign brands!

Oh, by the way, I'm one of those who feel that my '06 Impala is just as good as the majority of the foreign cars out there. Honda and Toyota build great cars! Their styling and all the hype just doesn't appeal to me. I still believe in "Buying American" whenever I can.
    Consumers lists the Impala in the Very Good catagory. Right. The 2006 Impala is listed at the very bottom of the group in the VERY GOOD catagory. Check it out, behind the Camry/Accord. I don't know why it was reccommended when overall rated below everyone else in the VERY GOOD catagory. There are also many American cars listed as only FAIR. Volkswagen Passat was listed as EXCELLENT overall. I have read every car magazine, watched all the road tests, read dozens of newspaper car comparisons for the 2006 cars and time after time the Japanese are still the most liked.

The 2006 Impala is an improvement over the previous model, and so it should be, but the competition is getting better too. This Korean Sonata has surprised many that have placed it above the Impala. Check out the interior of the Sonata. Again, it doesn't matter if a few posters on here prefer American cars over Japanese/Korean etc. Thats a personal choice. Some people will only wear a certain brand of jeans, or swear by a certain coffee brand and never try another. GM isn't concerned about a few postive posts on car forums, their focus is on the yearly sales year after year, and right now and going back many more years Honda/Toyota are still leading the pack. When the Impala becomes the #1 car in sales in its class, then it will deserve bragging rights. But right now the Camry/Accord deserve what the American public who buy their cars in higher numbers has given them. Bragging rights.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Every car maker make good cars and not so good cars. So as consummers, for our own sanity, we need to stay away from lemons. Some domestic vehicles like Chevy Equinox actually has more foreign contents (in terms of dollar value) than others. For example, its engine is Chinese made, Transmission is Japanese, assembly in Canada (you can argue US vs. NAFTA). Just like Wal-Mart had advertized themselves to be American company for American communitity. In fact, they're buying $30 bil from Chinese manufacturers, shunted "high cost" American companies, employing illegal immigrants, underpaying workers and turns around wrap our Stars and Stripes around themselves.

Unfortunately GM, Ford and DC are immitating them now. GM just moved their Electronic Purchasing Dept to China to take advantage of cheap Chinese parts as expense of their domestic suppliers. They are open for importing cheap car parts into the country. But at the same time, they are against lifting the 25% tariff on Import trucks. When it works for them, it is the patriotic song that they sing, but they turn around singing different tune if they see some financial benefits. Most of our ECOs would sell their mothers to make quick bucks let alone being loyal to the country or the community they are living in.

Personally, we are rooting for our home teams (GM and Ford). But the home teams must also fullfilling its obligations to its employees, communities, ... Our Auto industry will prosper as long as it has many high paying jobs in this country (UAW or not). It will not help any of us if GM spent billions in China or India to create a Middle Class there at the same time wanting to pay Walmart wages to its US employees. Thanks goodness for the ocean (and its $1000.00 cost of shipping vehicle), otherwise GM and Ford probably have moved all of their factories oversea by now.

jt
    I agree with you. Up here in Canada three years ago Chevrolet started importing cars from Korea under the Chevrolet banner. US and Canada both have the Aveo and up here we also have the Chevrolet Optra a small/midsize car and the Chevrolet Epica a quality midsized sedan all imported from Korea. My understanding is they are selling well, and Canada is the western world testing centre. If they do well here look for them in the USA in the next couple years. Every car imported under a US nameplate is one less car and all its components made by US or Canadian workers. I don't think the US public is aware of how much damage this global economy is doing to us. The only winners will be the offshore companies, their economies & citizens. The Chinese will soon export an upscale small car to America at a very low price. If it performs well, another blow to the American car industry. I do believe that most Americans would rather buy American, example the 2006 Impala etc. right now the consumer is interested in what their long term $ value will give them, and the sales figures prove that. I am as guilty as the next person. Most of my everyday clothes I buy are from Bangladesh or China. The US textile industry not many years ago was as big as the big 3 auto industry. The US textile industry which once had a work force in the millions will soon fold its tent.
    As stated in my post, I wish I had saved the article about the Japanese car owner study that showed these people don't report all the problems on questionnaires, and yes some dealers are convincing disgruntled customers that these problems are normal. Yes I have known of these people with one friend claiming that he never had to pay for any work on his car only to find out that the warranty covered his clutch repairs. So yes, people are not telling the truth, and some foreign owners are embarrassed when things go wrong, and hate to admit it.
    Lets see, GM had what 4 or 5 out of the top 10 best sellers last year. You say early statistics show that no American auto's are in the top 10 in sales this year, so what, if thats true. It's early and I am sure that will change by year end.
    You read it wrong or misunderstood my post. Consumers Report says in their testing/evaluation, they pick the top 10 cars overall for 2006. Not 1 of the big three automakers had a car in the top 10. Its nothing about sales. But in sales I believe the Impala is #4 or 5 in car sales for 2005. I believe they are 10th or so when trucks are factored in. Back in the 60s the Impala was #1 in sales year after year in America, but competition back then was just between the big 3. Its obvious GM couldn't continue having over 50% of the car sales today when competition is coming from all parts of the world. Competition is a good thing. It brings about change and improvements. GMs problems aren't so much sales but extremely high legacy costs of having 3 workers retired for every 1 worker on the assembly line. The Japanese/Korean have a huge advantage because being a relatively young company in America they have very few retirees to pay for, and they utilize more part time people then the big three do. Thats a huge cost advantage to the foreign car makers. The big problem with foreign competition is its really hurting our workforce & economy.
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    GXP Likes:
    The quickness of it, acceleration and handling.
    The brakes are great, although lots of brake dust on the front wheels.
    The seats very comfortable (10 hours in the seat on one trip, felt as good at hour 10 as it did at hour 1).
    A nicer look than the Impala (my opinion only).
    It is just a fun car to drive.

GXP dislikes:
    Fuel economy, although good for a V8, not anywhere near the sticker. Expect 20-22 in highway driving in the 70-80 mph range.
    No spare tire. Because of the bigger brakes, no donut will fit. You get an air compressor and a can of fix-a-flat.
    Monsoon sound system is not the greatest. Not bad, but I’ve heard better.

Try one, you just might like it. I cant see how you could wrong with either an SS or a GXP

Mike
    Here's one of those little details that you expect to work smoothly but annoys you when it doesn't.

I just got a recall notice in my OnStar monthly report. Campaign # 2005122. No details, just the number. I can't find anything on the web yet but that's expected since I'm sure it's too early in the cycle to have been passed around. What is a disappointment is that although I'm getting OnStar reports that include my VIN, when I try to research the issue on My GM Link, my VIN isn't in the system. It notes that my VIN is valid but may not be in the system if I purchased in the last 60 days. Granted, I've only had my car for 77 days, but the inconsistency isn't encouraging. I'm just acknowledging the issue in hopes that some of the GM folks reading will pass it up. Sometimes the smallest details make the largest impressions on people.
    That said, does anyone have any info on recall # 2005122. I will be contacting a dealer but maybe one of our "team" will be quicker than me. :) I own an SS with everything but the convenience group (auto-dimming & heated mirrors).
  • realcarguyrealcarguy Member Posts: 5
    Check out my "realcarguy" review under the 2006 Impala SS review section - this car stinks from the bad design to the bad quality to the bad sales and marketing promises not kept. (Like the gas milage.) The thing that really has made me switch is the fact that corporate know's all this and still leads people arround the issue without any resolution - by the way they still don't have a seat fix and spring is coming as I prodicted. Your use of the BBB is an example of thier idiodic approach. Face it we got fooled by a company that used to be good. Cut your losses and trade for another brand - unfortunately most people can't do this. Let these lemons loose on the used car crowd. Just look at this formum and you get a feel for people duped and those trying to rationalize the trade off's for looking cooler than they really are in one of these. My 86 Grand National blows this car away hands down. Beats it on the strip. Get's the 28MPG HWY. And the fit and finnish is comparitively stellar - even though when I bought it new I thought it was not that great. By the way it has less road noise and rattles at 35K and 20yr than the SS at 8K and 5mo!
    CR sucks in my opinion, my comments earlier were just to make the point that the car can't be all that bad if CR who is biased against domestic anything is giving it their ok. It's a "for what ever it's worth" kind of comment.
  • realcarguyrealcarguy Member Posts: 5
    Just what I want to do with my non-work time is watch the what ever for Chevy's fixes to a new car I just paid good money for. Thier dealers should contact the customers direct and come pick these cars up - fix them completely - and redeliver what was paid for! Especially when they know the owner has had numerous problems and is actually in conversation with the corporate platform mgr. Mean while I have some restoation work to do on my 69 Superbee. This 06 Impala SS saga is like an old keystone cops or three stuges movie. I don't know who is dummer - us who got taken, chevy or thier dealers! Maybe we all deserve what we got. Owners a lesson learned, chevy no repeat business, dealers a chance to get out of thier contract commitments.
    Anyone interested in getting Canadian wholesale prices for free on the Impala or anything else, Q107 has a promo with carcostcanada.com for free memberships. Go to www.q107.com

As an FYI example, the invoice on a Impala LTZ is almost exactly $3000 Canadian under list. Probably won't get invoice, but $2000 under list is possible I'm sure.
    I think you read too much into some of these posts. No one said the car is all that bad. CR is basically stating that the competition is just a little better in their opinion. A little more refined, a little quieter under acceleration, and better resale value to name a few. Whats in it for CR, Motor Trend, or Car & Driver to be biased against a certain brand? As I said before Chevrolet spends millions advertising in Motor Trend/Car & Driver. If GM put a little more effort into the rest of their car lines like they do with the Corvette, the rest of the chevy line would race past the competition. I have seen nothing but thumbs up from all car magazines regarding the Z06 Corvette. Sure there are posters here that have had problems with their 2006 Impalaa, and there are many that are very happy with their cars. If Consumers Report said the Impala was the best car you would say their magazine is great. The buying public determines what is going to be the sales leaders, what cars will rise to the top, not any magazine.
  • veligerveliger Member Posts: 30
    I took delivery of my 2LT last week and so far so good. No static on the radio, no clicking sounds, etc. CU commented on the "unsettled ride" and the wind whistle. I've had it up to 75 on a windy day and I get the normal wind sound I have in the Cadillac Deville and other cars I've driven. Nothing out of the ordinary. The ride is perfectly normal as well -smooth on good roads and you can feel bumps through the wheels on bad roads but the car itself is steady. I frankly don't know what CU is talking about.

Anyone who has taken even one introductory statistics class can tell you CU's sampling methodology is ridiculous. I'll cite a few examples:

The Wind noise problem CU had on their Impala was probably a bad seal on the one and only sample they had. Sample sizes of "one" are not even close to statistically significant.

CU samples their readers, a biased group, and only gets data from readers who voluntarily return their survey, making the group even more biased. A proper survey would sample the general new car buying population randomly, and follow up to get people who didn't return their surveys to complete and return them. For example, retired people with time on their hands are far more likely to return mail surveys than working couples with kids who don't have the time to spend filling out a survey.

CU does not even explain what the percentage ranges of their silly circles are anymore. Those circles are worthless if we don't know the range of problems they represent. A graph with the average problems per 100 cars and error bars would be much nicer. For example, an "average" car in CU's stupid circle system may not be significantly different from a "below average" car if they are near the bottom and top of their unknown respective ranges. It would also be nice to know sample sizes, since very low response rates also make the data less reliable.

That's just a start to the problems with CU's survey methodology. JD Powers does a much better job using proper statistical methods in their surveys.