Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Follow-up to my earlier post about the recall Campaign #: 2005122. The local dealer says its for reprogramming the brakes. I'm assuming it is for the issue addressed earlier in this forum (too much bias to the rear brakes). Unfortunately, the service department wants me to leave it with them. I really hate the inconvenience of the "drop off" because simple jobs (which I'm assuming this one is) could often be done in less than an hour and arranging for transportation from and to the service department is a real pain.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “Anyone who has taken even one introductory statistics class can tell you CU's sampling methodology is ridiculous. I'll cite a few examples:

“The Wind noise problem CU had on their Impala was probably a bad seal on the one and only sample they had. Sample sizes of "one" are not even close to statistically significant.” - veliger

I don’t see how has anything to do with sampling. They buy a car (as other magazines are loaned ones) and report what they experience. Do they need to buy 100? 1,000? Of each make & model they test? Are you relating this reporting to their survey methodology?

“CU samples their readers, a biased group, and only gets data from readers who voluntarily return their survey, making the group even more biased. A proper survey would sample the general new car buying population randomly, and follow up to get people who didn't return their surveys to complete and return them. For example, retired people with time on their hands are far more likely to return mail surveys than working couples with kids who don't have the time to spend filling out a survey.”

Interesting generalization. I am a subscriber (though I have bought cars CU does not recommend) and have been for many years. In exactly what way(s) am I biased?

Last I checked, working couples have exactly the same amount of time as everyone else. (24 hours per day.) They may have made choices that result in them feeling like they have responsibilities that limit what amount of that time is ‘free’ – and therefore available to fill out surveys. And I believe that it is their choice how they spend that time.

“CU does not even explain what the percentage ranges of their silly circles are anymore. Those circles are worthless if we don't know the range of problems they represent. A graph with the average problems per 100 cars and error bars would be much nicer. For example, an "average" car in CU's stupid circle system may not be significantly different from a "below average" car if they are near the bottom and top of their unknown respective ranges. It would also be nice to know sample sizes, since very low response rates also make the data less reliable.”

Their explanation includes:

“Average Problem Rates
    Trouble spots.98.99.00.01.02.03.04.05
    Engine . . . 8%.6%.5%.4%.3%.1%.1%.1%

Cooling . . . 7 . 6 . 4 . 3 . 2 . 1 . 1.less than 1% ” - CU

Etc.

And they further relate restrictions on assigning Worse, Much Worse, Better and Much Better:

“Because problem rates in some trouble spots are very low, we do not assign a [Worse] or a [Much Worse] unless the model's problem rate exceeds 3 percent. If a problem rate is below 2 or 1 percent it will be assigned a {Better] or a [Much Better] respectively.” – CU

What else do you need to know?

“That's just a start to the problems with CU's survey methodology. JD Powers does a much better job using proper statistical methods in their surveys.”

In what way are JD Powers surveys better?

- Ray
    Confused . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Did Toyota buy back all the Prius's when they came out with problems? Did Ford buy back the Focus's that have been recalled 25 times since they came out?

It's unfortunate that you are having issues, but you can't expect companies to buy back goods because some people are having problems. That rarely happens in any industry.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Unless the survey group is totally random, there's a very good possibility of bias in the survey's results. That's why companies that do surveys should use "random digit dialing" for picking phone numbers for telephone surveys...you can't just take every Xth person in the phone book and call them, because you'd be excluding people with unlisted numbers, and there could be something different about those people that could skew your results.

If CU sent out random surveys (whether or not those people were subscribers), I'd put more faith in their data. Clearly people who subscribe to CU are likely different than those who do not; CU readers are probably more concerned with getting the "best buy" on a product, whereas perhaps the "average" person might be more concerned with prestige or other performance issues (acceleration, style, etc.). If Car & Driver were to send out exactly the same survey as CU to their subscribers, I suspect you'd see different results.
    Well, I went to a local Chevy dealer to test the Bose systems on the cars on the lot. Expectedly, they had the same hiss. Looks like at best it's a factory defect that hasn't been caught yet. Worst case, it's a known issue and has been deemed satisfactory.
    But, on the bright side, when they asked to take it in for the stereo issue, I informed them of the recall notice. They took me in at nearly 5 P.M. and fixed the braking issue. Although I'm still bummed about the stereo, I have to say I'm very pleased by the customer service I received. I managed to avoid the "drop off." That was worth a great deal all by itself. :)
    I just left feedback at the Bose web site regarding the '06 Impala's Bose sound system. It may help all of us having the problem to make sure they're aware of it. It is a bit lengthy but hopefully it will be worth it.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    In what way are JD Powers surveys better?

Good question. They give a minor problem the same weight as a major problem.

In theory, CR's statistical gathering isn't valid but it has such a large sampling that for practical purposes their reliability ratings ring true.

And what's the reasoning for thinking CR subscribers are bias against domestic cars? Because Japanese cars fare better than domestic cars - what wonderful circular logic!

CRs road testing evaluations (a completely different issue from their reliability ratings) are the most comprehensive of any publication. You find the pros and cons of any car after 6000 miles. Oh I forgot, the people who work at CR are bias against American cars and you must take their evaluations with a grain of salt.

Lets be HONEST, the reason some of you have such low regard for CR is because they generally rate Hondas and Toyotas higher than GM vehicles. Well they're not alone.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >In theory, CR's statistical gathering isn't valid but it has such a large sampling that for practical purposes their reliability ratings ring true.

I realize some people don't understand sampling in statistics but the CR method would be like sampling those attending a basketball game (today) about whether the coverage of basketball on TV is to their liking or not and then using their results to say that all US residents feel that way. BTW you don't tell how many people you asked about coverage of each team. You just say "trust us."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    there are so many factors involved in fuel economy that it's hard to have a definitive discussion. the first over riding component is what type of driving is done: around town or hiway. all the gears and dod and hi tech induction systems don't help a wit for stop and go stuff. that's why hybrids are so great for local driving; they get better fuel economy around town than on the hiway. on the other side of the coin, you can use your camaro ss as the perfect example: all that power and 30 mpg...incredible.

my 16 year old caddy with a 4.5 liter v8 gets 13.5 mpg with a steady diet of stop and go stuff..lots of heavy foot action and tons of idling (thank god for the oli!!). that's the price you pay for driving a v8.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    CR's road tests are so different than all the other car mags its hard not to say they are biased.
    I read all reviews from car and driver, automobile, consumer guide, motor trend, etc etc.
    All those other mags rated the Cobalt as competitive against the Corolla, Civic, etc. They mentioned its shortcomings as they do other cars but for the most part it got positive reviews-same goes for the HHR. CR, on the other hand, ripped both those cars to shreds, its as if they were reviewing completely different cars.
    CR is a rag, always has been, always will be.
    If you want more honest, complete reviews, read Consumer Guide. They give it straight, regardless of who makes the vehicle.
    Consumer Reports can afford to be more blunt than those magazines with Consumer Guide being the exception. Those magazines don't shred any car no matter how bad it may be.

Even so, more often than not the enthusiast magazines don't differ that much from Consumer Reports in evaluating vehicles. If any of those magazines did a comparison test of the Cobalt's competition I would say the Civic, Mazda3, Focus, Elantra would all finish ahead of it.

As for the Impala, I think those magazines would rate the Accord, 2007 Camry, Sonata, Mazda 6, and Fusion higher than this car.

Personally I don't like the Camry as much as Consumer Reports does but I don't come to the conclusion that it's because they have a bias towards Toyota.

Of course as an individual with your own priorities you may find the Impala or Cobalt to be the best car for you.
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I took a 180 mile trip from Milwaukee to Chicago, with some serious stop and go traffic. On the trip down there, I was able to stay on cruise control most of the time and got over 30 mpg! A side trip to Northbrook involved a LOT of bumper to bumper traffic with many stop, stop, stop and go! The return trip to Milwaukee was bucking a stiff headwind, but I still averaged 25.9 mpg overall. Considering the poor conditions on the return trip, I was extremely pleased. I probably would have done better, but I jumped on it quite a few times, which undoubtetely lowered the overall mileage figure by half a mile per gallon. The car ain't perfect by any measure, but it sure does perform well. The only performance issue I have is that the front suspension is way too soft.

On the return trip a jerk in a van changed lanes and forced me to take a violent maneuver to avoid an accident. I was surprised at how well I recovered from what could have been a disaster. It wasn't as responsive as my '99 Z28 was, but considering it's purpose, it was impressive.
    Thanks for patronizing me.

Your example would make no sense if you're talking about coverage of that particular game since none of the attendees would have seen it on TV. That wouldn't be comparable to CR.

On the other hand, if you mean basketball coverage on TV in general then your example makes my point with a couple of exceptions. First, you would ask only those at the game who have watched basketball on TV (which would probably be almost all attendees). Second, you would make the stipulation (though not scientifically valid) that all U.S. residents who watch basketball on TV feel the same way as the attendees who have watched basketball on TV.

Now would the results of the survey be much different if it was a valid sampling? I would say not. I can interpret your basketball/TV analogy in a number a ways so I may not be responding correctly. If you would ask questions that are specific to a region of the country then the results would definetly be skewed.

I know the sampling that Consumer Reports uses is not valid. The key word is practical though.

As a group I don't see any peculiar attributes that CR subscribers would have from the population on whole.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Since you quoted me, I'll reply. I agree with you completely about CU's "ratings". I've filled out this multipart questionnaire (which also covers appliances, electronics, lawn mowers and whatever else they want to throw in) when I have had time and occasionally I've tossed it out. I feel that the people who will most likely fill it out and send it in are the people who have had problems, thus you will have an inaccurate statistical survey. I completely tune out car magazine reviews. I once had a new 1986 Audi 5000S, the biggest lemon I've ever owned and the greatest car in the world according to the writers. I've also had (briefly) a 2006 Camry Solara SLE Convertible which I dumped at 350 miles when I could find someone to buy it. It rode like a truck (CU says it is smooth), the convertible shake was unbelievable on any road except for a glass smooth one, and even the upscale radio was no better than the one in my base '03 Deville. My '01 Malibu rode like a Cadillac compared to the Solara. Anyway, CU loves it. I like the Avalon but would buy a Lexus over the top of the line one -it is the same price. I subscribe to most of the car magazines but I'm sick of all the reviews of cars I'd never buy. Who the hell cares what a Maserati drives like or who won what Grand Prix someplace? I think CU has its place in the detergent field. I'd probably trust its opinion on paint, too, but on cars I draw the line. The Impala I just got drives just fine. I don't like to have to think about a car when I drive it. I don't like to have to think about an uncomfortable ride or other problem -I'd rather concentrate on the road and traffic. CU even commented on the difficulty of adjusting the thumbwheels for the HVAC system. I think that if someone has a problem with a thumbwheel that rolls from a blue to red zone then he needs to turn in his keys and find an organization to work with that is designed to help the mentally challenged learn basic skills.
    I agree completely. Consumers Guide has the best unbiased reports. I always buy their car guide each year.
    I feel that the people who will most likely fill it out and send it in are the people who have had problems, thus you will have an inaccurate statistical survey.

Wouldn't that be true of all surveys pertaining to car reliability?

I think CU has its place in the detergent field. I'd probably trust its opinion on paint, too, but on cars I draw the line.

Fair enough. But no one does more comprehensive road tests than CR. The funny thing is that some people do put more effort into researching paint and detergent than they do with their cars. Any kind of research for purchasing a car should be just a guide though. It best to do long test drives of the cars you're interested in.

I agree that you should drive a car that you're comfortable with. If you're going to be driving your car day in and day out you should put a higher priority on how it fits your needs than on how likely it will be troublefree.

Most cars today are pretty reliable. The reliability of GM cars is not why I would buy one.
    It's one thing for us to rant about cars but when a GM Executive does it there are consequences.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060319/BIZ/603190381/1148/AUTO01-
    Not a good move, but I know she has a point.
    However, the bigger point is why someone in charge of bringing out the Cobalt did not succeed in bringing out the top car in its class. That alone should find her looking for a new job unless other factors were in play that prevented her from succeeding.
    The Cobalt has been getting some poor marks for reliability from other sources as well.

GM needs to only hire the best and fire those that aren't.
  • tacoman1tacoman1 Member Posts: 6
    I am glad she spoke her mind(and the truth). I used to subscribe to the magazine and enjoyed many of their insights. Just one more opinion to include in a buying decision. They did rate the impala as recommended over the Passat.
    Who owns the publishing company that prints that magazine anyway... ;-). Seriously look and see.
    I had owned foreign for the last 6 years. An Accord, then a Pilot. Both vehicles were nice. Both had a few problems, both went to the dealership for transmission investigations. Honda gave us an extended warranty for the Accord. They installed a new cooler for the transmission. Had more problems with those two than the 1995 Explorer I owned through 2000. All cars are nice. Some may prove more reliabe than others. But I saw a need--GM and ford both are in need of our help. I bought American(Canadian built) by choice. I love the V8. If you can't afford the gas buy smaller and cheaper. If you don't support America and American Industry. LEAVE. Now is the time to support our country. My family and I are only buying American from now on. We want to make sure that the option to buy decently priced, decently sized vehicles doesn't disappear.
    Time for the soap box dismount! It a 10!
    The exhaust note on my SS is enough to make anyone smile. I couldn't find another car at the $28k price point that did it all. Maybe I missed some other foreign options out there. Oh well.
    Time to rally round the flag guys.
    It's true the Impala is recommended and the Passat isn't. But the Passat is the highest rated sedan in the $25-$30 price range (I personally don't agree with that by a long shot). It's not recommended because of past poor reliability.

Where was your TV made? Your clothes and shoes? Your computer? Shop at Wal-mart? (I don't) I'll leave right after YOU leave!

One part of the article says "She added: "They are totally nonobjective and go to great extremes to paint a picture for their paid subscription readers, who primarily buy Japanese cars."

I suspect she knows the ownership of the readers from a source. Does anyone have data that their readership buyers other than foreign cars?

She's speaking from complete ignorance. Heck, it's beyond ignorant, it's moronic. It's hard to fathom that someone in her position would make such absurd statements. There's a reason her boss has given a humiliating public apology on her behalf.

Instead of mouthing off, Ms. Queen should be embarrassed that her team was taken to the cleaners by the team that developed the new I won almost every award under the sun civic.

I know for some of you this is music to your ears but this reflects badly on GM. Just remember before this year the Ford Focus was the highest rated small car by Consumer Reports. It was for a number of years. Currently it's number two.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    I know for some of you this is music to your ears but this reflects badly on GM. Just remember before this year the Ford Focus was the highest rated small car by Consumer Reports. It was for a number of years. Currently it's number two.

Is this the same Focus that has had recall basically every other month for the first 3-4 years of its existence. It was so bad that Ford had to extend its warranty to calm would-be customers. This vehicle is dynamically wonderful in driving and handling. But it is a classic case of poor reliability that spoils everything else. So did CR recommend it recently?

jt
    You've avoided the question by talking about other things.

"Do you have data about the subscribers' cars?"

A "yes" or "no" will be nice....

• charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Automotive news March 20th indicates that Chevrolet is capping production of the 2006 Impala at 250,000 units in USA/CANADA. Thats about 60,000 less then what could have been expected. Third shift at Oshawa will be dropped. GM is wringing more profits from each unit sold, especially LT, LTZ and SS models, sacrificing sales for profits per car. The past 12 months over 50% of all Impala sales were fleet. GM wants to reduce fleet numbers substantially to increase resale values of the car. A current 36 month old base Impala has a 42% residual value. A base Toyota Camry has about 49%. Last year only 10% on Camrys were sold to fleets. Very interesting numbers.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Will GM actually stand behind this production cut? The ONLY way incentives are going to subside is if ALL car manufactures agree. And the only way this will happen is if they're all dying together. I don't think this is the case with the likes of Toyota being around. Resale values stink on American cars partially due to the volume in which they're produced. TOO much supply means low resale value. GM is correct here but this is NOT the reason for low resale prices. It's one of the reasons but the MAIN one is LOW WORTH due to cheapness is reflected in low resale prices. Which entails HIGHER costs for new car buyers trading in these units.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Not only is GM curbing production on the 2006 Impala they are also holding the HHR to 120,000 units this model year.
    The Cobalt had some issues with the sunroofs drainage hose not be attached and rattles in the hardware. There was also an issue with some air conditioners leaking from the fire wall onto the passenger carpeting. Other than the few 2005 Cobalts introductories with these issues, the car is very good and is among the better cars in this segment. The reliability engine wise is among the best with the Ecotek engines.
    The Focus was recalled 25 times if I am counting correctly, or was it 24? If you don't mind the recalls it is a good car.
    Sorry, the main reason is the incentives and fleet cars that lower the cars value at resale.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Where was your TV made? Your clothes and shoes? Your computer? Shop at Wal-mart? (I don't) I'll leave right after YOU leave!

Those other industries were not fast enough to change in order to compete, and the unions did them in aswell, the auto industry is a much higher profit/presence industry and thus despite managments and union mistakes is still hanging on today. The fact that this gentleman wishes to buy a domestic product (one of the last mass comsumer USA products) then we should all stand behind him and respect his choice.

Now, back to the Impala, will this car get a nav system or what? Also, I do not believe GM should go all out RWD, Camry and Accord are FWD, so is I think the Avalon. They are a sucess, just make your FWD better. Switching is so costly.

Hopefully Impala will get the fake wood treatment on its doors aswell. The interior just does not look finished, IMO. I do not mind it, however.
    With those things you don't have an option.
    With autos you do.
    well said :shades:
  • ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    1: I considered an Avalon before I bought my Impala SS. However, check Kelley Blue Book and compare an 05' Avalon to an 05' Impala SS. Give both cars comparable equipment and you will see that the trade-in value for the Impala is about $600 MORE than the Avalon. And this is for the 05' (old) style!

2: The Avalon would have cost me about $4000 more too.

3: I know there are some on this forum who have had a bad experience with their new Impala. I have about 2500 miles on my SS, and (knock on wood) I have had no real problems.

4: My Mother-in-law owns an 04' Lexus ES330. I know this is a totally subjective statement, but I MUCH prefer driving my SS. The Lexus feels very sluggish, it's not more comfortable, and it doesn't really have many more features.

Buying a car is a mostly subjective endeavor. Go test drive the cars that interest you, and buy the one that suites your needs, and that you enjoy. ;)
    very true

When people factor in depreciation they rarely factor in the discount they get with the higher-depreciating vehicle.

Once you factor in the discount, you see that the actual net depreciation is the same or even less than the toyota or honda.

The best thing is, with US cars, you save money up front (the discount) with Japanese cars, you have to wait untill you trade in to get the savings. Due to the time value of money factor, the money you save now (with US cars) is worth more than the money you save with Japanese cars 3 years later.

Obviously this does not factor in things like mantenance cost of fuel economy, this is assuming the cars are roughly even on these factors. If you check the reliability reports they are like within 5 problems per 100 cars within each other, so statistically its a good bet.

The Fuel economy really depends on the car/Trim. The differences in fuel economy are also very small today. in the Malibu, for example, people often get better than sticker numbers, and the Impala actually has a cheaper version that is great on fuel economy.

IMO if detriot (read us as in USA) continues to improve fuel economy, the descision will really be a no brainer.
    I agree, like him I only buy American company cars, and I try to buy american products whenever possible.

I have not been a fan of wood toned interiors but that is changing and I may try one next time. When talking about wood, try using the word imitation instead of fake, it sounds so much better.
    Actually, regardless of the price of the car, the 05' Impala SS has a $500 MORE trade-in value than the 05' Avalon Touring.

When you consider that the Impala ALSO costs about $4000 less than the Avalon it's an even better deal.

The $4000 difference is the real difference in what I would have paid for the two back in November, not a difference in stickers.

John
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    You're dead on in regards to the depreciation issue. But I think what happens is people say "I can afford $25K for a new car" and if you put a domestic and an import side-by-side at the same list price, the import looks like the better deal.

Assuming the import sells at close to list, and the domestic is covered up with rebates and discounts, you might be able to spend $5k less (or more) on the domestic. But most people aren't going to actually have that $5k in hand, and they likewise aren't apt to save the extra money each month. So buying an import is almost like a forced savings plan for some folks; sort of like having too much money held out of your taxes each year so you'll get a big rebate later (even though any accountant will tell you the smartest thing to do is to end up paying just a little in taxes at the end of the year, versus getting a big refund).

Most people aren't going to spend less than they can "afford" to, and they're afraid of getting upside-down on a car note, which with increased depreciation is perhaps more likely on a domestic car than an import. If folks were smart they'd buy the $25k domestic for $20k and save their money (or pay the @#$* thing off early), and be that much better off financially.

My theory on car buying - no one NEEDS a car any nicer than a Buick LeSabre. People may WANT one for one reason or another, but no one really NEEDS anything more expensive for most circumstances. My self-imposed rule of thumb is that I won't spend any more on a car than a nicely equipped LeSabre (which now that it's been discontinued, I figure a loaded LaCrosse or a base model Lucerne falls about at that point). I could afford much more, but as much as I like cars, I can't justify spending excessive amounts of money on them. Now in 10 years when my kids are out of the house and my house is paid off, my opinion might change. :)
  • drat19drat19 Member Posts: 28
    I've posted elsewhere in this forum regarding my earlier experiences with my '06 Impala LTZ; now that I've had the car 6 months and just completed a 1200 mile road trip, I thought I'd share an updated report.

(1) Took delivery on 9/28/05, so I believe my LTZ would have been part of either the first or second production run. I find my leather seats and lumbar to be firmer than any others I've owned, but not in the "intolerable" category that owners in the very first run reported.

(2) Love the sound system. It was a major factor in my purchase decision...the mixed-band presets and front AUX input are crucial to my driving/listening habits...I'm an iPod'er and an XM'er. The low-end hiss of the Bose does not bother/affect me.

(3) As a 6'3", 310-lb'er, the driver's cockpit is very comfortable for me.

(4) It's a pleasant, smooth ride both around town, and cruising the highway. The 3.9L has as much get-up-n-go as I need when I need it...two-lane highway passing is a fearless breeze. When I chose the LTZ (for the trim) over the SS, after reading the reviews I was confident I wouldn't need the extra displacement of the V8. I was right.

(5) I averaged 25.6 MPG on my almost-all-hwy road trip this week. A little disappointing, but within my "acceptable" range. I'm guessing my average cruise speed of around 77 MPH might have cost me 2-3 MPG.

(6) The cavernous trunk and fold-down rear seat are among my favorite features. I carried a 125 qt cooler of Cajun food with me across the folded-down rear seat - took up the whole rear seat compartment, but never would have fit without this feature. And the fact that it's a plastic/composite base made me feel comfortable in case the cooler leaked (it didn't).

(7) All the controls have a "quality" feel, although the small "pointers" (switch position indicators) on the climate control knobs are a little too "clever" a design and take a little getting used to to quickly locate the setting visually. As for the climate control system itself, it heats and cools very well and reliably...I've now driven it in both hot and cold climates, in comfort in both. And in a cold climate the heated seats are a "must" when the leather surfaces are cold when you first get in.

(8) Highway wind noise *is* a negative. If I weren't a loud stereo listener, this would probably bother me even more.

(9) Hate the bagel spare (although I've read elsewhere in this thread that the "equivalent" GXP doesn't even have that!). Plenty of room for a full-size spare...why not have one??

(10) There is no excuse for the lack of passenger legroom and, more importantly, foot room in the rear seat for a car of this size. Whoever designed the back of the front seats to include that additional material on the outsides, thus preventing passenger feet from fitting under there in any sort of comfort, needs to be beaten with sticks. How is it that any/every Asian-brand vehicle of comparable and even smaller size has SO much more room for passengers in the back seat?? I'd trade a few inches of that great trunk space for rear seat leg/foot room any day.

Bottom line: As long as you're not planning to transport any adult-sized passengers in the rear seat, I would recommend the Impala LTZ to anyone considering a car in this segment. It's a pleasure to drive and a good value for the money. Just go in with your eyes open to the above "nits".

-Dave R., Biloxi, MS
  • I averaged 25.6 MPG on my almost-all-hwy road trip this week. A little disappointing, but within my "acceptable" range. I'm guessing my average cruise speed of around 77 MPH might have cost me 2-3 MPG.

It probably cost you more than 2 to 3 mpg. Averaging 77 means you were traveling much faster than that at times. Wind resistance increases exponentially at higher than 55 mph speeds.

In addition, you are a big guy, and you were carrying also carrying extra cargo in the rear seat; you have to consider the extra weight of the whole package. Given that, I don't think you should be at all disappointed with a full-size car bettering 25 mpg. That is great mpg!
    Just curious, are you folks quoting fuel mileage as calculated by the car's computer or are you doing your own math? I haven't been keeping close track of my car's calculations because I discovered that my '02 Monte Carlo was terribly inaccurate. On long road trips it was fairly close but with in-town driving, it was worthless. So far, I'm getting just under 17 mpg in combined driving in my SS. I'm not complaining...I've come to accept I'm not going to see the mileage on the sticker. :) But, I wanted to share and make sure we're comparing oranges to oranges.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    I have a 2006 Impala LT and want to know if it is possible to turn off the passenger side seat belt alarm? Also my car came with an antenna on the back of the roof. I do not have satellite radio and was aware that there is an antenna integrated into the rar window so why do I also have this black rat tail external antenna? Do you know if it can be removed?
    Thanks for any help.
    Gene
  • 66novss66novss Member Posts: 12
    The passenger seat belt alarm should only come on if there is someone setting in the seat(without the seat belt on). If its coming on otherwise, then there's something wrong with the seat sensor. As far as I know there is no way to disable it. That rear roof antenna is for the onstar. Sure you could remove it,but there would be holes under it that would have to be filled & repainted.
    I've actually been calculating mine with good old math, and also with the information display on the dash. My car has been consistently giving me an avg. MPG about 1 MPG less than it really is......

I haven't had a chance to check the highway mileage. My around town has been between 14 and 15 according to my math.

John
    Thanks, Jasper, good to know. I am going to start tracking the car's numbers along with mine to develop a pattern. I do think the newer computer in the car is much more accurate than the one in my '02.
    The "tail" portion of the antenna can be unscrewed from the base...at least I've seen a few with no "tail" with a threaded hole in the base. Some dealerships remove them from the cars on the lot to prevent theft, I assume.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    gened1,

The rat tail antenna (on car roof) you're mentioning could be either antenna for OnStar (more likely, for GPS and built-in phone) or XM (less likely, since it normally has smooth dome-like shape on GM cars or shark fin on some import models). The AM/FM antenna looks just like your rear defroster wire(upper copper pattern on rear glass). So, if this is OnStar antenna, you will lose that service. Also if you remove it, you need to seal the hole. Otherwise, you may have water leak.

jt
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I have two GM vehicles with Bose systems, a 2000 Bonneville and a 2004 Avalanche. Both audio systems exhibit the hiss noise at low volume. This condition is not unique to the Impala.
    The cheaper version of the Impala (the 3.5 engine) does not impress me as far as fuel economy. I live in a small city and on trips around town (usually at 30-40 mph -we don't have bumper to bumper traffic) I'm averaging around 16 or 17. I get 15-16 with my Cadillac Deville. On the road it should get around 30 (so does the Cadillac). If I was totally interested in town gas mileage I would have gotten a 4 cyl. Malibu. I'm disappointed in the Impala. I probably should have saved the $22,000 , eliminated one car and used the Cadillac as a town car as well as one for trips.