Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2K Ford Explorer Sport Trac's

rjkunklerjkunkle Member Posts: 74
edited March 2014 in Ford
The motor craft Number is FA-1658. It is the same as the 4.0 and 5.0 liter engines for the 2000 explorers. The K&N filter number is 33-2106. If you tell K&N that it is for a 2001 they will tell you to call back in January. The engine is the same that is in the Newest Enplorers.

Comments

• brand42brand42 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a white, fully loaded 4x4 from Wickstrom Ford in Barrington, IL. They had 2 on the lot. I inquired about ordering a hard top, but decided to wait for other aftermarket suppliers because of the demand & uncertainty of the quality. I had a '99 Eddie Bauer, & the ride & handling on the Sport Trac blows the doors off the Explorer! I test drove both, & you could definitely tell the difference with the extended wheelbase. I would hop on one of these before the sticker raises given the demand. The cargo cage is wonderful, but living in the Chicagoland area, I never leave it on fearing that it will be stolen. One accessory I would extremely recommend is the tire lock for the spare. NBC news in Chicago recently did a feature explaining how these are a hot item to rip off. The most common time is in the day in a crowded parking lot. I bought the lock for $50 which consists of a reinforced steel bar with a brass keyhole to prevent rust. Don't settle for anything less!! This should be available at your Ford dealer.
    For any dog owners out there, I was concerned about putting my dog in the backseat & having her scratch the leather. You can put the back seats down which provides a nice bed for her/him, & they LOVE sticking their heads out of the rear window. I would be happy to answer any questions, & would love to hear any feedback on a V8 release. I still think I would stick with the V6 over the V8 because of the V6's outstanding reviews. I own an auto parts store, & the V6 hasn't had any problems since its introduction a few years back. You'll sacrifice some torque, but you only miss it if you're hauling boats or trailers every day.
  • akiraakira Member Posts: 2
    I've had my fully loaded 4x4 Sport Trac for 3 weeks now and love it to death. Everyone I run into either loves it or hates it. Those who hate it are mostly diehard truckers who haul long items a lot, or just don't want to give in to something new and exciting. I've already went creek crossing and put my bike in the bed. With the front wheel off, the bike fits nicely into the bed diagonally. I'd like to get that bar in the marketing pictures that shows 2 bikes standing straight up in the bed. Anyone know about it?
  • akiraakira Member Posts: 2
    Mdemarco, or anyone who had their roof leak fixed, I'm curious: Did you notice a reduction in wind noise after your leak was fixed. I hear a lot of wind noise at high speeds. I'm not sure if it's the roof leak, another leak, or the vehicle contours.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • mdemarcomdemarco Member Posts: 13
    My ST was in 2 times for the roof leak. The second time they found the moonroof track had a crack in it. They replaced the track and I am now waiting for it to rain to see if it's fixed! It still has some wind noise, but I suspect it's the roof rack.

Even though the roof leaked, I still love the truck and would buy one again. The engine seems to be getting stronger as I hit 1000+ miles.
  • gpd22gpd22 Member Posts: 14
    tl565,

See my earlier post # 516. I ordered my ST on 3/30/00.
  • ltlbgdgltlbgdg Member Posts: 5
    brand42

What size is your dog? My biggest dog is 130lbs. I was hoping when I ordered mt ST she would fit in it better than my Ranger xcab. I have 3 dogs and ordered leather also. Was that a mistake? I have seen canvas seat covers for pets in some of my pet magazines-or is the seat folded down okay for a large dog? How about head room if she is standing up? Thanks
  • petty1petty1 Member Posts: 20
    Went to my dealership and they said it is a different size air element and went to my favorite car parts store and gave me the round around. I told them that it could be the same air filter as the 2000 4.0l engine. Don't rely on some of these people sometimes. Thanks again.
  • tl565tl565 Member Posts: 78
    If your dealer is kind enough to give you the "rail car number" for your Sport Trac (available AFTER it is built), you can supposedly track the rail car all the way to the pre-delivery center where it is transferred to a truck. The web site is listed below. Warning....I do not even have a build date yet so I could not try this to see if it works......if anyone does try this...please let us know if it works!!!

http://my.uprr.com/pub/pet/
  • brand42brand42 Member Posts: 2
    ltlbgdg,

I have a labrador retriever who is 70 lbs. She can walk around fine, but she likes to lay down most of the time. I would guess that she has a good foot of clearance when standing. Maybe if you told me what kind of dog you had, I could give you better advice on the fit in the backseat. If she has long legs, she might have a tougher time walking around. But if her build is like a mastiff, she'll be fine. The leather wasn't a mistake. The back of the seats are cloth, and when they are folded down, your dog will have a bigger surface to sit on. You also won't have to worry about her falling between the front & back seats, because the back seats fold down & cover the whole back area. This is also nice if you want to put boxes in the back with the ability to lock them up.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    er....should this topic be here? Wouldn't the SUV conference be more appropriate?
  • zack1000zack1000 Member Posts: 84
    er....Rocles

The Sport Trac has a bed.

The Sport Trac is a truck.

This topic is in the pickups conference.

So what's your point Rocles?
  • lasveganlasvegan Member Posts: 53
    Im wondering I owned a 92 explorer with a super cooling package that came with the XLT package. How does the st compair with that package.
  • jcaustinjcaustin Member Posts: 22
    Those of you who ordered the ST through the internet did you e-mail your requirements directly to local dealers or did you use a service like Priceline or Carpoint? Thanks..
  • rschfamilyrschfamily Member Posts: 19
    The "it's" was in the ad copy on the screen ... not spoken.
  • rschfamilyrschfamily Member Posts: 19
    I know someone from Ford will be reading this tonight ... so here goes.

Caught one of your new F-150 tv ads this afternoon ... and you guys should take some of the profits from the SportTrac and invest in a better ad agency that is more familiar with the English language.
    Seeing as we SportTrac fans are such a sophisticated and demanding lot ... you (Ford) need to know the difference between "it's" and "its." You just can say in the ad that the F-150 is the largest whatever in "it's" class. Sorry
  • jcboilerjcboiler Member Posts: 4
    I hear Ford is having a lot of trouble with the Manufacturer of the Cargo Cage. They can't get enough of them fast enough.

What does everybody else see as availability of the Cargo Cage on Sport Tracs. I think this is a great product??
  • jlurksactojlurksacto Member Posts: 17
    Used search engine (google.com) to find dealer.
    "ford invoice" Called dealer direct and then
    faxed them the Kelly Blue Book {kbb.com) printout
    of the ST with my option choices underlined.
    Used VISA for order deposit altho check would
    have been accepted. Finding a dealer close to
    where you live this way may be a problem.
    Good Luck!!!
  • fordsporttracfordsporttrac Member Posts: 300
    Got my Cargo Cage in 3 week from date of order. No problems. Just do not read the directions on installing the cage. They're backwards. :-) I have a post about this that details the instructions in the Frozen Topic "2001 Ford Sport Trac".
  • craig002craig002 Member Posts: 32
    It only took 148 days to order and deliver my little white 4X4 ST. It is finally at the dealer.
  • chispitachispita Member Posts: 5
    I Ordered my ST on March 30, and have a "build date of May 8. The dealer said that I can take advantage of any rebates that are offered when it comes in. So every time I watch the tube I'm hoping to see an add for the ST announcing something, but nada.
    At this point I am trying to figure out if I want to lease of buy the darn thing. I don't think i would go over 36K in milage but I don't want to be stuck with a bill at the end for dings. I'm apprehensive about buying cuz with my luck after mile 36001 stuff will start happening. Plus, i can do other things with the cash I don't spend if I buy. Also, who knows what type of trucks will be out three years from now when the 2 1/2 and 1 yr old are then 51/2 and 4. Ahh. Comments? Criticisms?
  • lanceboydlanceboyd Member Posts: 1
    I just received a SportTrac, and the dealer feels strongly about getting the rustproofing, sealer, and fabric treatment (cloth seats). They also offer a service where they fill the doors with foam, making for a quiter ride. Edmunds says absolutely don't go for it. does anyone have an opinion on the value of this service. I could only get the dealer down to $599.

thanks,
    lance
    Lanceboyd---

Of course the dealer feels strongly about the rustproofing, sealer and fabric treatment---they keep most of that $599 as pure profit. And if the salesman can get you to buy it, he receives a hefty commission.

The can of Scotch Guard (fabric treatment) would cost you about $6 at the store. The paint sealer is usually nothing more than a coat of wax. This is why Edmund's urges you to pass on these add- ons as not being a good value.
    er...Zack..(ZACK?)..er it's an suv. If it was a truck, we wouldn't be spouting on subjects like "scotchguarding". LOL!
    The Sportrac has a bed and therefore it's a truck? Hmmmm....Is the El Camino a truck? Brat? Gee, they had beds.......;)
    Don't plan on any rebates for a long, long time....Ford has a backlog of orders.

Leasing might be good if you do not plan on keeping the vehicle for more than 3 years.

Enjoy
  • sutrucksutruck Member Posts: 10
    Rocles,

Go back to the zoo you came from and 'er..' as much as you want there. I'd be more than happy to put you in your cage, and transport you back to the zoo in my TRUCK BED! heeheehee :)

Even though Nissan already claims the title, the Sport Trac is a Sport Utility Truck. All this means is it's a truck with a real back seat. People like me opted for the Sport Trac over the Frontier CC and the Dakota Quad Cab because of styling, sophistication, actual leg room in the back seat, and a cargo cage that isn't secured with nylon straps. Ford marketed it as an Explorer to get some extra dough from us. But with all of its features, I was more than glad to fork up the extra bucks.

4-door trucks have been around for a while. That's right- those huge F350s or Silverados that get 5 mpg. THEY ARE TRUCKS, aren't they? The Sport Trac is a smaller version of those vehicles.

Sport...Utility...TRUCK.

What's that Rocles? I might have to get my whip out!!!
  • jab1964jab1964 Member Posts: 21
    I ordered my st on april 20th. the salesman informed me that the seats were allready water resistent. so that tells me that the seats are allready protected. and as far as the rustproffing, I live in south florida, and I see explorers among other vehicles that are 10 years old with no rust. so save yourself the 599. thats just my opinion.
  • dolphins66dolphins66 Member Posts: 78
    My husband and I ordered our loaded ST on February 28th and we now have a VIN #, expected manufacture date of May 8th AND expected delivery on May 22nd. Naturally, I'll be calling the dealer that day. No point in letting them have free advertising for a few days at our expernse with our vehicle especially since they charge that advertising fee! Called another local Ford dealer to find out if they have any ST's in stock. "Just got a couple in (basic model) and have a looooooooooooong waiting list and I'm not even sure that we can sell them. If you want to order one it will take up to 9 months. If you want to go on our waiting list we can add you." Glad we ordered ours early to beat the rush! Good luck to you all!
    In fact, no point in calling the dealer the expected delivery day...plan is to show up and look for our vehicle that day and every day after just to make sure...Are we all trusting these days?
    Oops! Had a couple of typos on the first one (I skip through the spellcheck). Anyway, the dealer said it would take up to 2 months to order one now if not longer, NOT 9 months.
  • tracguytracguy Member Posts: 28
    I got my sc in mid March. Very happy with it. When I got home today there was a box marked 'Compliments of Ford' (or something close to that) It was marked with the Ford Outfitters logo also. Inside there was a carrying case with 2 fold-up directors chairs with the Outfitters logos & Sport Trac markings, a catalog of accessories, and a Swiss army knife. The letter said they are a 'Thank You' from Ford.
    Nice touch.
    Tracguy,

VERY nice touch! They have done that in the past with Ford Explorers but minus the Swiss Army Knife. Any other companies that do that?
    Dolphins66 - did you order leather by chance? Where did you get the build date and VIN from, your dealer or the (800) number?

Thanks
    Hey Rocles--

The El Camino has a bed but it also has the height of a CAR. The Sport Trac has a height of 69.9" which is taller than a Dodge Dakota truck.

How does using Scotch Guard on the seats make it an SUV? Are you saying, that no one Scotch Guards truck seats? Better tell that to dealers who try to charge hundreds of dollars everyday to do that to trucks they sell.
    sutruck,
    Get your whip out? In need of a boyfriend or something?? LOL! Comparing a Sport-trac to a four door 3/4 ton is a neat trick. How many trucks have molded composite beds? This sucker is classified as a "sport-utility" by insurance companies, auto companies, gov't, and web sites like this one. If you cut off the back of the old Broncos, which some have, does it become a truck?
    My ONLY point is that this really should be in the SUV conference. Gee, where do you get to discuss such great details of the other Explorers?

Boy, nothing like SUV owners to have such hissy fits over their over-priced machines. ;)
  • sutrucksutruck Member Posts: 10
    In need of a boyfriend?? Maybe it's the one who's mentioning it that needs one. I don't know what you've been doing in that cage. Good thing it's locked.

Is the Dakota Quad Cab a SUV? What about the Frontier Crew Cab, or the other 4-door TRUCKS due to be released later this year? Are they SUVs too? The Sport Trac is categorized as a SUV in many places because Ford marketed it as an Explorer, Duhhh. It's part SUV, part truck. Only the die-hard truckers would like to see it in the SUV section. Guess where the die-hard SUV lovers think it should be?

My personal opinion: These vehicles will eventually have there own category.

The Sport Trac has a composite bed to make it lighter. It's as strong as steel, if not stronger for its intended use. The key here is 'intended use'. We're not going to raise its temperature to 1000 degrees, or cut it with a chain saw - although that isn't easy. Plus, we don't have to worry about rust. But I guess some old timers don't understand material properties (like someone who recently participated in this townhall - won't mention any names. Hmmm, who can that be?)

Over priced machines??? I guess we make more money than you...
  • myafchakmyafchak Member Posts: 6
    I just ordered my Sport Trac on April 28th. I got the full compliment of options minus the Tonneau Cover which I was told was not yet available. I was wondering if anyone knew why the high series center console is only available in the Leather package? I have '97 Explorer Sport that had that option available in the Cloth Comfort Package as well as the Leather. BTW, as far as I'm concerned, there's no problem with calling it a Sport Utility truck. It blends the best of both worlds. It's not a huge gas guzzler like most crew cab types and it actually has some nice styling, not just two extra doors! :-)
    tl565,

Got the build date from the 800# AND the dealer. The dealer gave the vin# when I called yesterday but for some reason Ford said they did not have access to that information. I thought that was strange since they are able to pull up the build date and most other information.

We did get leather and all the other upgrades except for the tonneau cover, 4X4 and towing package. Our sales rep gave us a price back in February of 3% above invoice but we pushed for 2%....not bad.
    dolphins66 - how long before production did you receive your build date...2 weeks, 3 weeks, or longer?

Still waiting for my build date, I ordered 3/22.
    We got our build date about 3 weeks ago and just got our delivery date yesterday. I'm one of those customers that calls at least once a week because I like to be at the forefront of my sales guy's mind. We ordered on February 28th. Previous posts may be helpful to you as well so you may want to go back and read some of the 500 + posts. I believe a Ford rep. at the 800# told me that they update information on their computers every Thursday as to the build dates. However, they do prefer that you call your dealer. It's a frustrating wait because we're anxious for this new vehicle but I do believe it will be well worth the wait. I trust Ford and their products (we currently own a '95 Explorer which looks like new) and once we have the vehicle we'll have it for many years to come so the wait isn't really that bad. Good luck!
  • ford1960feford1960fe Member Posts: 7
    I currently have a 97 F-150 XLT Supercab 4 X 4, the 2nd F-150 of several pickups. As I was about to purchase a 2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 4 X 4 my wife spotted the 2001 S T and 2001 Explorer Sport (after wanting me to look at the Dakota Club Cab).
    "Why do we have to get another big truck, let's look at those." (my wife does not like to drive the F-150, intimidation factor). So I looked them over and I must say, I like the looks and the feel of the S T and also the new Sport. I am most impressed with the S T however being somewhat practical in nature, I wonder if I'll miss the capabilities (and size) of the F-150 and wonder if I'll miss that bed for the occasional loads I carry in the fall and spring. I suppose I generally use the truck as a big second car knowing that when I need some plywood or timber or car parts, I have a place to carry it. But I am seriously considering trading it the supercab on the S T. Has enough power (and I've always had a V8), seats feel great, and love the sunroof in the models available in my area. I am currently looking at a Harvest Gold 4 X 4 with the cloth comfort group, convenience group, premium sport group and the moonroof. Love the rear window.
    I would have liked to have ordered one and would have added the limited slip rear, the payload package #2, skid plates and the 6 disc CD player.
    But if I go for the S T locally available, I could install the skid plates myself and have the dealer install the CD player. My dealer will look to see if he can get a dealer trade if one is available with the limited slip and payload package, but if he can't, I think I'm going for this one. I'm one to have always liked having a full size pickup but I think the S T is going to cure me of that. It's a neat vehicle. ...mike
  • wiezyckiwiezycki Member Posts: 1
    Hey there! I officially feel like one of the gang now... I had my dealer place the order for my ST on approx. 4/19/00 and this past Monday 5/1/00 we got a build date of 5/29/00. I'm very excited to take delivery of that Harvest Gold beauty.

I opted for the leather, sport group, 6-disc, 4.10 l/s, and cage. I decided against the tonneau as I'm sure a 3rd party will come up with a better and cheaper alternative someday (if I decide I need it.) Also, I was a bit leary of the moonroof... I think its just tempting fate to expect any mfr to build such a solid truck (plus a brand new design) and then cut a hole in the roof without it leaking, flexing and otherwise malfunctioning. I think it just might be too much to ask on its debut.

From some of the posts I've seen here, it sounds like omitting that option may have been a wise choice. Maybe I'll get it on my next ST in a few years :o)

Oh, almost forgot one of the reasons for my post: I'm thinking of going with the Ford Red Carpet lease when the truck arrives. Anyone have thoughts pro or con on this program? I've never leased before but understand the more general lease/buy debates. My question is more specific to the Ford Lease... like anyone with bad/good experiences to report.
  • beard1beard1 Member Posts: 15
    well i looked at the postings and saw so few negatives about the sport trac that i had to go for it. a ford dealer in cheny wa near spokane was mentioned in a post at $100 over invoice. i called, and sure enough, price quoted was to the penny. of course they added the $28 fuel charge and $130 adv that's also been listed in the posts. i was quoted 7 - 9 weeks. we shall see what we shall see.

anyway, i've also seen mention of a soft cover for the sport trac for about $200. can anyone tell me where they are available. the dealer doesn't seem to know about it.
  • ford_biiford_bii Member Posts: 120
    ford1960fe (Mike), I would definately go for the limited slip. I don't know if your previous vehicles have had it or not, but I come from a truck family (2 F150's, 1 Expedition, 1 Ranger, and 1 Bronco II) and I'll tell you that the difference between the trucks with open rears and the limited slip differentials is night and day. I would go for it.
  • craig002craig002 Member Posts: 32
    I picked up my 4X4 today, and put about fifty miles on right away. It does not drive like my 97 F-150. I am impressed by all of the nice touches did with this vehicle.

I think it was worth the wait.
    Thanks to all of the folks at Hudgeons Ford , Coolidge, AZ. They were the best part of the deal. Ford has a winner with this "head turner."
    myafchak---

Ford is just being lame for not offering the floor console with the cloth package.

If you look at the 2001 Explorer Sport page you'll notice it has the same option groups and the same option prices as the Sport Trac. HOWEVER, the $935 Cloth Comfort Group for the Explorer Sport comes with the high series console while the the Sport Trac doesn't.

I thought that paying $935 for only an overhead console was a rip off so I stuck with the standard cloth captain's chairs in my sport trac and I love them.

beard1---

Here's the info on the soft cover that was posted in the old sport trac news group:

"That Base part # 99501A42 is from the NO
    BOUNDARIES- Ford Outfitters- SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES ACCESSORIES catalog. The price from the catalog is $198.67."
    sutruck,

Now I know this topic should be in the SUV conference--you whine about my musings!

"I guess we make more money than you..."

Huh? Well, first off--I doubt that. Second, you just showed less class and third--definately proved that a suv is pure status and hardly function. Die-hard suv owners? Yeah, how many of these clowns driving suvs today drove them 20 years ago? That would make someone a true "die-hard".
    Alright ego-boy, you can quit your crying. I was merely questioning the position of this topic. Make more money? LOL.....oohh...big guy with a sport-trac.....ooohhhh....so much money.....if he only knew...
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    If you are looking for "big truck" performance without "big truck" size, consider the Dakota Quad Compromise:

F150 Dakota

Payload 1585 1450
    Curb wt. 4915 4570
    Trailer wt. 6300 6100

Hiproom 61" 57"
    Legroom total 78" 78"

Box length 66" 64"
    Box width 49" 53"

WB 139" 131"
    Length 225" 215"

These figures are 4x4's: 4.6L F150 and 4.7L Dakota
  • jcaustinjcaustin Member Posts: 22
    ford_bii,
    Would you please elaborate on your recommendation for the limited-slip? I will not be towing (regularly) nor will I be off-road.
    THX
  • slurpeeslurpee Member Posts: 1
    I've been shopping around Houston looking at the Sport-Trac, and I've decided to upgrade from my '92 Ranger Supercab. Since it looks like I'll have to order to get the mix I want, I've been curious about this one option.

Payload Package (Invoice $85, MSRP $100). Supposedly it improves the loading and towing capacity a little.

My guess is that it's just stiffer springs. Am I right? And no matter what they are, it's important for me to know how that option will change the ride of the vehicle?
  • ford1960feford1960fe Member Posts: 7
    Reference #45, Ford_bii:
    With you all the way on the limited slip, it does make a differance but I can't wait for 12 weeks plus to get a new vehicle and the dealer has been
    unable to locate one for a dealer trade with the limited slip in any of the colors we would accept or with the other options we want. He said he will check again but if he can't locate one, we're going to purchase the one he put on hold for us. I've had limited slip in most of my vehicles I've ordered in the past. Didn't on my 97 F-150 because I purchased it when they first arrived at the lots in march of 96. I suppose I'm in a similiar situation with the S T. But after 51 months with some nasty winters behind, I survived without the L S so I quess I can this time. If I could I'd wait until September when more units will be available but we like the vehicle and would like to make the decision soon...
This discussion has been closed.