Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Right on point. The perceptions are hard to change.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I agree, the perceptions are deeply ingrained. I'm surprised I haven't heard any accusations about the UAW being the root cause of the Big Three's problems. If I'm not mistaken, the Japanese plants here are not unionized. That, in turn, has sheltered the Japanese automakers from the huge overhead that the American companies are forced to deal with today. The simplest argument to be made is whether or not the UAW is to blame for the situation the U.S. automakers find themselves in today. I don't know all the details but the case could be made that the union fought for and received pay and benefit packages that cut too deep into profits. But, it could also be argued that the non-union workers are eroding workers' rights and causing an erosion of wages. I'm sure there is blame on both sides but the fact is, the situation gives a huge advantage to the Japanese companies. It's not just that the Japanese are producing vehicles that are believed to be of better quality, they have the advantage of much higher profit margins due to lower salary and benefits overhead. That in turn gives them revenue to increase R&D and design. Has anyone noticed how many Toyota models are on the market these days? I haven't looked into it but I'm pretty sure Toyota has more models than any other company and possibly more than several combined. Due to their favorable circumstances, they are able to launch more product lines without the overwhelming concern of failure because they can absord losses. The American companies don't have that luxury and I believe that's why they play it safe on their bread and butter lines.

I think it may be time to roll up some more GM divisions. I don't really see the need for Buick (which only has two cars, two SUVs, and a minivan), Pontiac (the performance division that is often out-performed by the other divisions), and GMC (which sells "blinged" Chevy trucks). The Japanese have succeeded with value and luxury divisions. It may be time for GM and Ford to reorganize, down-size, and fight their way back to the top.

Just a thought...:D
  • ivanadrivealotivanadrivealot Member Posts: 35
    With our recent discussion and speculation re: the forthcoming 3.9L LZ8 engine with AFM, I thought others would like to see a detailed explanation of the new engine's inner workings. Quite a few changes from this year's 3.9L due to the AFM. Interestingly, it says only the Uplander 3.9 will get E85, not the Impala.

Read the details here.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    The Japanese plants in the USA pay almost identical wages/benefits to their FULL TIME WORKERS as the UAW workers receive. Check it out. Where they are ahead is that the Japanese plants have a substantial number of part time workers that earn a much lower wage with no or minimal benefits. Also the legacy costs are affecting the bottom line on most American companies that have retirees in large numbers. Not much you can do about that, we all want our pensions. The Japanese auto companies have very few retirees because they are relatively new to the USA. I beleive the latest statistics are that there are 3 retirees at GM for every worker on the assembly line. Those are staggering numbers.
    No I don't drive a Toyota/Honda. But its not hard to see how these relatively new foreign companies have evolved and kicked butt in the good old USA. I have been driving only Chevys since 1969. I haven't seen a publication yet in the past few years that puts a chevy ahead of the top Japanese cars, and there are hundreds and please show me one or two. I know you will say they are all biased, thats the easy out I hear over and over. I am not biased to any manufacturer and I will give accolades or criticism when warranted to any car company. I think the Toyota Camry is a very boring car, but for some apparent reasons its at the top because of Americans. A few examples that you give doesn't mean anything in the big picture. You would get the opposite answer on the Toyota/Honda board I am sure. I am probably more loyal to Chevys then you are but again I am not going to fluff off the big mistakes GM has made in the past few years (decades). The facts: Honda Accord. Toyota Camry #1 in sales year after year in the USA, bought by your co-workers, neighbors, friends. Fact: Hondas/Toyotas have higher resale value then american comparisons. The big question is why? You can't argue with facts. I just wish GM would find a direction. Its not my fault they are on the brink of oblivion. Its there own stupid mistakes they keep making. Again, I am a loyal Chevy fan, their products are getting better but so is the competition. I will be driving Chevys till the end, based on loyalty not anything else.
    You had a neighbors Sentra engine last only 116,000 miles. My wife had a 1987 Chevette bought it new. Never abused, changed the oil every 3000 miles. Engine seized up at 32,000 miles. No I don't live in California. I live in Ontario Canada. 90 miles from the Chevy plant in Oshawa.

Recently Roger Penske the US billionaire business man stated part of GMs problem is they have too many franchise dealerships. Extremely costly. I agree with him. In our city of 500,000 we have 5 Chevrolet dealerships within 10 minutes of each other (does that make sense?) We have 4 Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac dealerships as well. The costs must be staggering to run each dealership. If half the dealerships were eliminated and put all of GMs products under one roof, it would make sense. You could have a mega showroom with Cadillacs, Buicks, Pontiacs, Chevrolets side by side under one roof and you could do your comparisons and test drives right there of all their products. Put a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix beside a 2006 Chevy Impala where you get out of one and into the other doing hands on comparisons. I wonder how many people checked out a Chevy or Pontiac at their prospective dealerships and left unsatisfied to only go to a competitor from D/C, Ford. Honda or Toyota where under the same roof they could have made another GM choice. All GM cars now carry little GM logos on the front fenders, its a family affair put them altogether. Makes sense to me. Will it happen? I doubt it.
  • ivanadrivealotivanadrivealot Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone else with the dual climate control experienced this, as the Impala owner's manual may be incorrect or incomplete:

With the vent selector set to Vent (turned all the way to the left), and with the air conditioner OFF: Does yours automatically turn on the A/C when you press the recirculation button (cuts off outside air)? Mine apparently does as the air temp drops noticeably within a few seconds. Didn't notice this before because the outside temperature has been so cool, only getting warm very recently.

However, the manual doesn't mention it (see pp. 3-19 thru 3-21 as I recall), nor does the A/C light turn on. It only mentions the A/C gets automatically activated in the floor or windshield modes. Pressing the A/C button manually has no effect while in recirc and dash vent mode -- the A/C just stays on.

Just wondering if it's normal operation as my previous GM's didn't do this.

Also, is anyone else less than thrilled with the A/C on the Impala? Mine just blows cool air, not cold air. Big difference. I remember when a GM A/C would freeze you and cool off a hot 95-degree car very quickly.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Sorry to hear about your Chevette. Our family inherited a 1976 Chevette back in the early 1980's from our grandmother in California. This was supposedly the worst year for the car (first), and other than replacing the single barrel carborator once or twice, it was a very reliable car and got a little more than 30 mpg on the highway. I used the car in the winter and stored my Grand Prix in the garage. What I didn't like about it was it had an automatic, no air conditioning, and only an AM radio. It had two interesting incidents. Once being knocked partially through the garage door when my brothers car brakes went out during the winter, just leaving scratches, and my mom hit a deer with it and dented the hood. It was in the family for 18 years and my sister took it with them when she got married. It was still running but in bad shape (accident, losing power), so they gave it away.

Resale value for American cars has been hurt by; fleet sales, rental companies, incentives, and mass production. If most of the above were not factors, resale value would be comparable to the Japanese cars.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    How about those old Japanese auto workers at home? Toyota and Honda have no obligation for them? Do they just just commit suicide after retirement?

It is a always lousy excuse for GM, Ford managements for their incompetency. Even if the workers at these companies work for free, I doubt that these companies' fortunes will be any difference if they keep on offering the products that people do not want to buy. It is always Product, Product, and Product. Look at Chrysler, it is being burdened with the same obligations, but for the last 20 years, their market share so far has been constant (12-15% of US market). They innovate and make products that people lust after. Ford and GM keep acting like followers and they deserve their current status. Let's face it: Automotive technology has not changed its fundamental basis for the last 100 years. The Japannese are not genius. And the German engineering myth is so out of date. And last time I noticed BMW workers in Germany are not getting WalMart wages also.

Running away from the most profitable land on earth (US market) is down right stupid for GM. Of total profit they made last year in China ( couple hundred millions on 600,000 vehicles) was equivalent to how much they made on selling 40,000 Corvettes. If all of their vehicles are designed to be world beater likje Corvette, they do not have to worry about the big B (Bankcruptcy). Ford, BTW, is not far behind.

jt
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Didn't Chrysler get bailed out by the government back in the 1970s? I was too young to follow things too closely at the time, but as I recall Chrysler was going under and the government stepped in and kept them afloat...don't know what kind of help they got, but that could have been the catalyst for turning them around (that and the K car and the minivan, of course).
    Back in the 70s the US government gave Chrysler I believe $500 million to help re-construct. They rolled the dice and it worked and I believe Chrysler paid the government back once they were on a strong footing. Chrysler was basically a US company as were most of its workers back then. Today GM is a global company and all the profits/losses funnel in from around the world. Today there are a lot of companies in the USA on the brink and I don't think US taxpayers would want to see a long line at the trough to be bailed out. Just imagine if the government bailed out all the steel, textile industries the last few years that have gone broke or moved overseas, the US citizens could never afford it and the line would get longer. Today companies have to downsize/reconstruct themselves, but thats healthy, and thats business.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "Of total profit they made last year in China ( couple hundred millions on 600,000 vehicles) was equivalent to how much they made on selling 40,000 Corvettes"

I'm not sure the precise relevance here to the Impala, but please post your source for this data?
    - Ray
    Really curious . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Federal government only guaranteed loans; never gave Chrysler a penny. If Chrysler had defaulted on the loans, federal government would have been responsible for paying them off. As it was, Chrysler paid off the loans early.

Toyota and Honda definitely have an advantage in U.S. due to lack of legacy costs and lower non-union labor wages. That said, they are very successful because they are well-run companies, not because they are "Japanese." Plenty of Asian companies are not as successful as these two. Subaru and Mitsubishi are consistantly rated well below average in the J.D. Powers Quality surveys. One other thing I don't see Honda or Toyota doing: buying up other unsuccessful marques and then dumping billions into them instead of concentrating on their product.
    ivanadrivealot, I can't give you an answer just yet on the recirc/AC question but I will check it out. As for AC efficiency, mine works very well. Had a buddy comment a few days ago that it was very cold as he adjusted the vent to relieve the cold spot on his arm. My SS is black and I live in SC. We've had temps in the mid 90s for the last week coupled with high humidity (summer is definitely here).

One thing I have noticed a couple times was that the AC compressor didn't seem to be turning on while the indicator light was on. The first time, I cylced all the controls and it fixed the problem. The last time, it seemed to clear itself up. Since the system is all electronic now (no mechanical connection between the controls and the vents, fan rheostats, etc), I attributed it to a programming glitch.

On a side note, I am beginning to suspect that GM is downloading updates via OnStar because I've noticed other "behavioral" differences since I've had the car. That being the AC glitch and the auto headlights turning off with less light. The first couple weeks I had the car, the ambient light would wash out the stereo display because the headlights would remain on even at the point where I would put on my sunglasses. Now, the headlights switch to DRL mode within 30 seconds of leaving my garage. I guess the car could be "learning" as well. Any insight out there in forum land? :)
    You can call it a bailout but it was a guaranteed loan. Iacocca proudly paid off the loan in less than half the term, I believe. When he took over, he agreed to a $1 salary (although he did get a lot of stock). He was key in the design of the now historical K car. I gave Iacocca credit a while back in this forum for stainless steel exhaust systems and galvinized steel in body panels. Both were firsts in affordable cars and set the standard for all others to follow. It was amazing how fast body rust and loud rusted-out exhausts disappeared from the roads. Ironically, it was the K car that almost brought Chrysler down again in the late 80s/early 90s. By then, every vehicle other than the minvan and trucks were based off of the same K car platform. But, I digress...

Charts2 raised the point that American workers in Japanese nameplate factories make a similar wage. If that's true, it wasn't that way until fairly recently. It used to be an anti-union rallying point how the workers shunned the UAW and were happier and better taken care of by their Japanese employers. Regardless, his main point was that they employ many more part-timers who earn less and have no benefits. While that makes for a good bottom line on the balance sheet, it doesn't bode well for working-class Americans. I believe the UAW has played a significant role in GM and Ford's current struggles but I don't think they are soley to blame nor do I think they have outlived their purpose. The America-based Japanese manufacturers are capitalizing on cheap labor at the peril of our middle class. We all want low-priced products but the long term costs may be greater than we have ever imagined. There have been moves in Congress to level the playing field in the new global economy. Hopefully they will manage to make some progress. I still have faith in the American work ethic and support with my Impala purchase. :D
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Last time I checked: everytime a Japanese car company openned any assembly plant in this country, there were usually 10 applicants for every openning. These are well paying jobs, not typical $8.00/hr at Good old Walmart.

If GM has its way, it will import every single GM car from China or Korea. Chrysler already promised us that on their ultra low cost model: a cloned Chinese Cherry car. GM is doing that on the Chevy Aveo (Korea made ). Half of Equinox value is from China and Japan (engine and Transmission). Now we are being asked to do our patriotic duty to buy GM, Chrysler cars regardless where they are made and whom they are enriching? They are building a Chinese middle class oversea while asking for both US govermental and public symphathy? GM has told the Auto supply industry to pull up their tents in this country to go to China to make cheap parts for them. That industry is employing couple hundred thousands people from first tier to the small companies. How about that for being patriotic and socially responsible company.

Now with GM jobs disappearing, the only choices are
    McDonald, Walmart, Honda, Toyota, or even Hyundai, what would you choose if you want to make a living?

jt
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Learned it's lesson with the RWD GTO pontiac. They have been sitting on dealer lots and now are being discontinued. To put RWD on a family car in the Northeast is just asking for fleet sales as the average customer equates RWD to spring summer and fall but not the snow and ice that are all too familiar. Put RWD on even a high performance Impala will only bring the bottom line of GM down. If it happens there will be shareholders asking for heads to roll!
    >there were usually 10 applicants for every openning.

Do you think that might be related to their choice of locations for most of those plants? Areas where there is less industry, no unions, undereducated regions of the country, unemployment: just places where even a Walmart opening gets lots of applications.

In Canada Chevy has been importing 4 models from Korea the past few years and doing very well selling them here. US/CANADA both have the AVEO. ...but we also have a small Korean Chevrolet called the CHEVROLET OPTRA and a midsize luxury car called the CHEVROLET EPICA which has a list price more then the 2006 Impala LT. Pontiac has the Korean Pontiac called the WAVE similar to the AVEO. I find it interesting they can ship these cars from around the world for basically the same shipping freight costs we pay on our cars made in USA/CANADA to our own destinations. If they do well here watch for them at US dealerships in the near future.
    I saw an article in the paper last week that I saved and thought you may find interesting.

An auto industry group called of the Level Field Institute wants people to really know the truth about the reasons we need to support American companies regardless of where the parts come from.

Using several industry studies and public data, the group estimated that 400,000 U.S. auto workers support about 4,000,000 other jobs in the U.S., compared with about 860,000 jobs from Hyundai Motor Co., Honda Motor Co., and Toyota Motor Corp.

The group sought to counter ads by international automakers which have touted their investment in new plants and jobs in America.

A March 2005 study by and Ann Arbor based Center for Automotive Research prepared for the AIAM found that international automakers in the U.S. directly employed 93,000 workers and generated 1.8 million jobs when combined with new vehicle dealership employment.

Ford spokesman Mike Moran said the institute's advertising would bring attention to the fact that U.S. automakers are major contributors to the economic fabric of the United States, and that losing market share to these foreign companies does not necessarily mean more jobs for American workers. Profits gained by these companies continue to be invested back in their own countries were wages are generally very low.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    GM should have learned it's lesson with the RWD GTO pontiac. They have been sitting on dealer lots and now are being discontinued. To put RWD on a family car in the Northeast is just asking for fleet sales as the average customer equates RWD to spring summer and fall but not the snow and ice that are all too familiar. Put RWD on even a high performance Impala will only bring the bottom line of GM down. If it happens there will be shareholders asking for heads to roll!

Well, I'm sorry, but that statement is totally incorrect. Do a little research beyond the mainstream media morons and you'll find the "failure" of the Pontiac GTO has absolutely nothing to do with it being RWD. The reasons are far too many to go into here. As far as it being "discontinued," it was no secret that the car was a three-year product from the start and that the factory in Australia was volume-limited to 18,000 maximum per year. 18,000 per year was the maximum, not the target. I believe they were shooting for 15,000 per year sales, which they will not come close to meeting (probably wind up around 36,000 total sales for all three model years). I understand you don't think a RWD Impala will succeed in the north; tell Chrysler, MB, BMW, Lexus, and Infinity how it's so stupid to sell RWD cars. There are lots of buyers outside of the "snow belt."
    RWD is not dead nor should it be. That's an EXTREMELY good point made by white6. RWD is the primary drivetrain configuration for nearly EVERY high end vehicle. The false belief that RWD doesn't work in the snow is BS. Older generation RWD cars had their issues but that was mainly due to all the power being at the back with most of the weight being up front. Automakers are now designing RWD vehicles with nearly equal weight distribution.

As for FWD being almighty and perfect, I had an '87 Dodge Shadow ES turbo that was FWD. Whereas a RWD vehicle may be difficult to get moving from time to time, that car would lose traction in a turn which meant you had no further input until you regained traction or hit something. Luckily, that never happened. With RWD and some skill, you have much more input into the car's direction.

THAT said, assuming that RWD options will cause the vehicle to lose sales is fairly short-sighted. These days, most RWD additions also include an option for AWD. Ya think GM may give that a shot? Seems to work very well for Chrysler and the 300. I see AWD vehicles in the south with me so I'm sure they're selling well up north. Y'all don't worry your purdy little heads about RWD. It's coming back and it will be great. :D
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    RWD sells in the Northeast. I have seen, literally, at least 2 Caddy CTS' per day. They are all over the place on Long Island.
  • 06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    do u rerally think GM is updating the cars via onstar? i too have always wondereed why the ac comes on in the recirculate mode and i have been thru to a/c modules already as well as a reprogramm on the hvac module. sometimes i dont think the tech 2 works the way it should. i mean that bose fix really did not work nor did the fix for the am channels. my car was one of the first of the line and i do say i have not really seen it go from worse to good. it is now going in the shop on tuesday for a front valve cover seepage. just one of one issues, but many many trim issues. let also say i have a strong relationship woth my service advisor and my trim tech.
  • 06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    just went to pontiac the other day trying to get drilled slotted rotors for the ss. no luck becasue the dont work different caliper design. w body mean w body right ha ha wrong, this car has major brake attitude issues above 100 to 130 mph, i find that when going that fast and apply the brakes the whole front end pretty much falls apart, the rotors do not have the warped feeling during everyday driveing but they sure cannot take a high speed slow down! anyone who find me drilled slotted for the fast beast would be greatly appreciated!
    I am sure they are out there. Have you searched the internet? The Monte Carlo aftermarket parts may fit this car.
    Long Island in the snow belt? Come upstate and try 165 inches of snow or over 200 a little further up in the tug Hill or Michigan.
    True RWD has come a long way with traction and stability control but just look at the repair record of MB and BMW and Chrysler among others. Many of those makers sell the AWD cars in the snowbelt or the owners put the RWDers away and have a beater for the winter. I am not referring to the high end cars but more the mainstream cars like the Impala and others - the ones the average family might drive. For them FWD has the market cornered. Two RWD Caddys do not a market make!!
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    My brother lives in Detroit and he said that it doesn't matter how many electronic help a RWD car has, some can't even leave the company parking lot on some days: Lexus, BMW, Mustang, Corvette, it doesn't matter, they hitch a hike home with him and other owners of FWD cars.
    So, according to you FWD proponents, everything shut down whenever it snowed prior to the 80s when FWD became prominent. No...wait, I know...we all drove Toronados (for those who don't know, Oldmobile Toronados were the first (1966) mass-production, American FWD vehicles). Oldmobile really cleaned up during those first 15 yrs, right? It was obviously their best selling vehicle, right? Ummmm....NO.

I'm not saying that FWD is all bad. It's fine for everyday drivers who don't demand high performance. I'm only trying to explain that other than those times when the average driver can't figure out how to drive in snow, RWD is a better layout. Steering is lighter, more precise, and there is no artificial feedback and/or torque steer. FWD has come a long way but it will never match up to RWD in handling and power transfer. AWD has advantages over both but is more costly and involves much more weight. I don't expect anyone to take my word for it but once it makes the comeback, folks will begin to understand.

An interesting line in the Motor Trend issue that discussed the new SS packages from Chevrolet was that most drivers on the road today have driven nothing but FWD and have no way to relate between the two. On top of that, the common misconception that RWD is worthless in the snow keeps the public skeptical.

I've only managed to get myself stuck badly enough to need a push once and that was only a friend pushing on the back bumper. I've never required a tow or a 4WD to come bail me out. Skill and situational awareness is all that is needed (even with OLD RWD cars) to keep yourself out of trouble. I'll be first in line if Chevy offers a great RWD car that I can afford. :shades:
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Those who want FWD will buy the improved Malibu. Those who want RWD will buy the Impala. makes sense to me. If they are in a snowbelt but still want an Impala they can buy an AWD Impala
    It all seems to me as the grass-in-greener-on-the-other-side-of-the-fence syndrome. It's not unlike the craze about stick-shifts. Generations have only driven automatics, but just because some talking heads in the press drool about it, everybody forgot about the left-leg pains driving it in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Yet, the same talking heads pretend to ignore that automatics have improved quite a bit with the addition of computer control and its integration with the engine's, brake's and body's computers.

The last RWD car I've owned was a Chevette in the early 90's, so it doesn't quite count. Yet, I totaled it after it oversteered on a puddle at 60MPH in the middle of summer.

I do agree with what you said about RWD, but I'm afraid that you're picturing only the virtues of RWD and only the vices of FWD. Electronics can only do so much and it won't perform miracles on either FWD or RWD without changing the laws of physics. Pushing the limits, a FWD will perform like a FWD and a RWD, like a RWD.

The bottom line is that neither is perfect for every application, but I guess that it's fair to say that FWD is quite fine for mildly powered family sedans and that RWD is better for high power cars.

I'd be glad to drive a RWD Impala, provided it doesn't have a live axle and is mated to more modern powertrains than nowadays, LS4 included. We'll see what a crippled GM is able to do.
    Off topic: RE: FWD versus RWD.. A couple other factors regarding RWD cars of today. Back in the 70s to mid 80s wheel sizes of full sized RWD cars were generally 15". Today we talk upwards 18"-20" that puts a larger footpath down and propels a heavy car easier then its smaller predecessor. Also tire quality including grip/handling is much more advanced today then 25 years ago. Tires play a major roll in handling. The 2006 Pontiac GXP has been tested and outperforms the current 2006 Impala SS in handling because it has larger tires (footprint) at the front then the Impala.
    The same thing. High performance dry pavement is one thing but when the weather /pavement turns inclement then what happens. Also While wide low aspect ratio tires might be great for dry conditions,I think it has been proven that narrower tires are the way to go in snow and questionable sufaced roads.
    Correct, footprint has inverse traction characteristics from dry pavement to snow. Thinner tires have more weight per surface area and are better able to "cut" through or dig into the snow. I mentioned in an earlier post about my '87 Dodge Shadow which had relatively wide tires for it's weight. That plus the fact that they were engineered for dry pavement made that car horrible in the snow. My other car at the time, an '88 Ford Escort was nearly unstoppable. I believe it had 165s whereas the Shadow had 205s (nearly 25% more rubber on the road). More contact patch does not automatically mean better traction.
    The 2006 Impala SS tires are probably more capable performance tires on dry pavement then on wet. If living in the northern states its often reccommended that FWD cars use 4 winter tires for those driving a lot in snow-ice conditions. 4 premium winter type tires instead of 2 on a FWD car will enhance handling and stability substantially in winter conditions.
    It all seems to me as the grass-in-greener-on-the-other-side-of-the-fence syndrome.

I just re-read this and I don't particularly like the assumption that I "think" I like RWD because it isn't available. I've driven as many years in RWD as FWD and have no misconceptions about either. Don't assume you know someone else's preferences better than they do. It's too bad they don't have FWD go carts in the amusement park slick tracks. That would be a fun and safe way to show the FWD proponents just how big a disadvantage FWD is. :D
    It's too bad they don't have FWD go carts in the amusement park slick tracks.

You just proved my point about you ignoring the vices of RWD and only focusing on the vices of FWD.

Go-karts may be fun on closed tracks, but nobody drives a car on public roads the same way. Or shouldn't as it's perhaps a traffic violation anywhere.
    I'm not ignoring anything. In my experience, RWD has no real vice. I acknowledged that average drivers may feel that RWD is less capable in limited traction situations but that I have never had an issue with it.

By the way, I have driven in the mountains and hills of WV and NH in all conditions. In WV, the roads are often too small for snow plows which often means the snow is left to be compressed into ice with ruts carved by the vehicle traffic. It can be very challenging but again, I never had any major issues with it.

The slick tracks would immediately show the disadvantage of having both power and steering on the same wheels. Maybe your point is that the slick tracks aren't as slippery as snow and ice and that there would never be an instance where traction would be limited enough to keep a vehicle from getting out of a parking spot. Other than that, I don't see your point.
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    Just another of my many issues with this car. We have the first 90 degree day and I have no air. Wonderful. Guess the service tech gets to see me again. It has been a couple of months since the car visited its other home.
    Just curious, have you tried cycling through the controls? I had my car stick in defrost mode once and another time, the AC compressor didn't engage until I cycled through the settings. So far, no other instances. Figured it would be worth a shot...especially if it saves you from a "could not duplicate" visit. I really hate those! ;)
    I appreciate the input, but have tried everything I can imagine without pulling the buttons off and rearranging them. Dark interior, car sitting out in the open at a baseball game, and near 100 degree temperatures does not make for a pleasant drive home when the air is non-existent. I, too, hate the "cannot duplicate" line, but have ended up with all of those things being duplicated at some point. That is really why I started checking this site out. I was having so many problems and the service manager was assuring me that they were unique to my vehicle. Many started as "not able to duplicates", but they eventually got on the same page I was and listened.
    Most of the problems that I had have not been mentioned here, but a few have, so it reassured me that I was not going crazy. I hate to bite the bullet on this one, but I really think this car will be history in my life relatively soon. My trust in anything about it is about gone.
    Sorry to hear that but I can relate. So far, my problems are minor and rank as nuisances. If it is to the point of trading, you might want to check with the Better Business Bureau and let Chevy know you've reached the point of no return. Hopefully, they'll give you some options you may be willing to accept. I am really trying to give Chevy and GM the benefit of the doubt. In the past, they have been willing to help and I think the current business climate has made them more willing than ever to try to work out the issues with their products. From the sound of it, you have a legitimate problem which they should want to make right. For what that's worth... :confuse:
    Finally had a chance to test the recirc issue. Wouldn't ya know it, mine does the exact same thing. I think it has to be a programming glitch because why else wouldn't the light automatically come on? Mine has the AC engaged regardless of whether the AC light is on. I'm sure (because I've known people who think this) there are lots of folks out there thinking they're getting some kind of non-AC cooling and thinking they're saving fuel by "not" using the AC. Reminds me of the old Bi-Level setting that many thought didn't engage the AC. Oh well, at least it's a consistent bug/issue. Thanks for pointing it out. :P
    Sorry to hear about your problems with your Impala. If its not too far away check out a different chevy dealership. You don't have to go to the one you bought your car from. Service department knowledge can vary greatly from dealership to dealership. Believe me I have been in your position with issues over the years.
    I had dealt with customer service as I began checking this site. I had finally thought the problems were dealt with that had caused my grief. (I do understand that there are little things that can go wrong; I've just had too many of those.) For my concerns, I was given an oil change and tire rotation.) They also said my next step was the BBB, but I had decided to wait. This problem is the one that takes it to that level though. I have nothing to lose.
    I am still a little concerned about the previous issues (Posts 1212 and 1551) as they always happened on the coldest Indiana days. What happens this winter?

I still am not sure what the service battery charging system was supposed to mean, but the ONSTAR people told me to park the car. So encouraging.......

I am not too far from another dealership, but I don't really think that has been the problem other than one visit when I dealt with a different service manager. I won't even talk to anyone other than "my favorite" anymore. He at least listens and tries to be reassuring that this is not the norm and that they don't like the repeated visits any more than I do.

I do have quite a stack of service write ups that could probably wallpaper my living room.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Kind of ironic that people like Deming taught the Japanese how to run efficient and effective companies.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    The excuse is that the replacement for freon doesn't do as good a job on cooling. This is BS. My 2000 Mustang will freeze you out of the car -most effective cooling system I've ever seen and the 2006 Impala doesn't do nearly as good a job. Perhaps GM should find out how Ford does it.
    My leSabres will freeze me out like the local Burger King does (they must have temp set at 60 in that place). There's gotta be something wrong in the system operation there in a temperature door or something?

The excuse is that the replacement for freon doesn't do as good a job on cooling.

I would't accept that excuse. My '06 SS is plenty cold. The only difference I've noticed is that it may take a few seconds (10-15) to feel the ultra cold air. Aside from that, mine works as well as any AC I've ever been exposed to. I rarely have to run mine above the second lowest fan setting and never for an extended time. For the record, I live in SC with mid-90s lately and super high humidity and my SS is black with black leather interior. I HAVE had my windows tinted with the semi-metallic (fully U.S. legal) window tinting that claims to reduce heat by 50% (through the glass). I am cool and comfortable. My only (small) concern is that I can hear the AC compressor when it's running; when turning/parking/etc. Sounds like a very soft moaning-whirr. Similar but much quieter than a power steering pump.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    GM.com says 280,000 06 Impalas have been built. Sold 23700 in May. Pretty good number for the 06 Impala.