Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Guys, I feel for you. I appreciate your keeping us posted on your experiences. I am waiting to hear that someone finally gets the right parts installed and the problem fixed. I don't want to waste another trip on it.

Thanks Rob for running it through some tests. Good to know yours was fixed before you got it.

Later, all...
    Ron
  • spinner1960spinner1960 Member Posts: 10
    New to this forum & learned much already.

I bought an '06 6cyl on the 31st of December then left for vacation in NY the following day. Thought of my new ride everyday for two weeks until I returned to Ca. My first day back was cold (for Ca) about 40 or so at 4AM so I got out on the balcony (40 ft from the car) to remote start and thats when I knew ther was a problem.

Anyway, the dealer replace the fobs and antenna, which is in the driver side windsheild pillar or so I was told (I beleive this to be true judging by the finger prints all around the interior on my windsheild).

The remote range was originally at around 20ft and now after the repairs is down to less than a foot, thank you.

I was told that the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver also needs to be replaced and that it might take a month or two for this part to come in due to national back-order.

I'm not bitter at all & I absolutely love the car. As long as they can fix the problem I'll be silly-happy in my Impala.
  • axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    Hi

Just to update you all on my engine hot A/C off problem, it started back in Nov 1st 06 about a month after I got the car. The first time I had it checked ( the light must be on at the time the dealership hooks the car up to its computer) they said it was the Thermostat, so they replaced it and it worked fine for about a month. I took it back and they said it was a faulty thermostat so they replaced it again. It worked fine for about 7 months until the light came on again this past December. After taking it back for a third time, to a different dealership they were told to replace the BCM which they did, but the light came on the following week. OH boy, anyway this time they replaced the Thermostat again plus they replace a sensor as well. So far so good, but its only been a week......lol.. I hope this answers your question. At least you have some ammo for the dealership now.
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Hi Rob !!

Well..If I recall , You certainly went through some agonizing times to get to this point !! You certainly sound excited over your new purchase ,and understandably so...... Enjoy your baby...it's awesome !!
    We are all extremely happy for you....Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy..
    Later....
    Frank ;)
    Hi jeberle...
    You may hear... Well at least your fobs are working some and
    be thankful that you are not getting any nasty messages on your message centre screen etc.. Reply.... No, Short range operation is still not acceptable here!! You say " Resolved.." !!! Unfortunately, I think we are all going to grow old together with this one !! The last I heard from GM was that the receiver ( "brain box" ) was still all out of stock across the country and it's going to take a good while for it to be replentished. By the way, don't be in too much of a hurry with this one as they have to rip out your dash and side pillar trims to replace this part. Oh boy...it hurts !!! Just as an aside, and I know that we are all very different with various individual circumstances...But, I try to form a good relationship with the dealer here, especially with the mechanics, so that i can stay with my baby while it's being worked on. Personally,I have a hard time just leaving it at the dealer for the WHOLE DAY !!!! Anyone else know what i'm talking about, or am i just alittle fanatical in my old age!! Love my CHEVY though !! :blush:
    Hey jeberle..really hope everything works out for you. Remember, We are all in this together !! Keep us posted....
    Later..... ;)
    Frank
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    I do everything I can to avoid leaving my car at the dealers!! In fact, now that I know why my Onstar light stays on, I'm going to wait before I let the dealer screw it up. Anyway, so far My SS is running great, no problems with it. Hopefully you can work out the fob problem before I get that problem with mine. I kind of think of you guys as my Guinea pigs with the key-fob problem! ;) ......burning up the roads here!!..........bryan
  • jeberlejeberle Member Posts: 15
    IT WORKS! - at least so far. It turns out that they did replace the module yesterday but the person last night told me they had to order it. So some reason, I tried starting the car late this morning from my 3rd floor office and it started. I called my service rep back at the dealer (who was not there last night when I picked the car up)and asked him what was going on. It turns out that one hand didn't communicate with the other - the bottom line is so far - so good. I will monitor it and report back.

The only remaining propblem with the car is I can't keep the washer fluid from freezing up in this miserable weather.
    If my key fob ever fails me, I'll tell my wife to go out there and start my car for me!!...I have my bases covered!! To think of this old man going out there in the cold to start his car!!..Thats spouse abuse!! :mad: ..I have 2 drag races scheduled....one with '04 Charger and another with an "05 stang!!!...Bring 'em on ....this old man ain't ready to hang 'em up yet!!
    The parking lights and taillights should flash when you use your fob. When you remote start the car, the parking lights and taillights should also come on. If they don't, there is a way to program them to do so via the DIC.

The lights flash but the problem is that in daylight, you can't see them from the side of the car. With my '02 Monte Carlo, there were side markers that lit up as well but the new Impala's lights are hidden from the side. Any other thoughts? :)
    Hey jeberle...
    Congratulations on your apparent fix..that's great..!!
    I sure hope in a very short time that we'll all in the same happy place. Ron should be noticeably in awe with this distance... :) Very impressive....!!!
    If you haven't already done so, try the much better quality - more expensive windsheild (anti-freeze)washer fluid. Buy the -40 to -50 degree stuff, it goes for about $5.00 a jug. I found that the $ 1.99 specials just don't cut it when it gets really , really cold :sick: here in Toronto in January...
    Hope this helps.
    Later.....
    Frank ;)
    Hi Bryan,
    Ah come-on now, Chevy Guys are never too old....!!!

Ya Right..you probably say that you always have the last word with your wife......"YES DEAR" !!! (little joke here :blush:)

No doubt You'll smoke them....!!! Be safe & Have fun.....

Frank ;)
    Thanks all....Sure does feel like a family here...!! :blush:

Well anyway, yesterday at around lunch time I got a call from the Service Manager at my local Chevy Dealership. He was very willing to give me the approval to install a Cat-back (dual exhaust) system on my gorgeous black 2LT, 3.5L, V-6. SOOOooooo, do you know what I did.. Ya you guessed it, I couldn't wait and rushed right out to a very reputable and well known custom performance exhaust shop here and had a system made for me. Took about 2 1/2 hours. FYI, Magnaflow said that their new system for my Impala (LT) wouldn't be available for maybe another 2-3 months. Too, too long for me !!!
    Well folks not bore you much, but,the short side of the story here is that ooooohhhhhhh my goodness what a difference in looks with the two large stainless tips out the back and oooohhhhh the the sound of those pipes purrrrring away now. Wow, needless to say I am very, very happy and would highly recommend it. Technically speaking (FYI), as long as it's from the Catalitic back it dosn't cause any problems to emission levels , your ECM computer, etc, etc, etc, and the GM dealer is happy !!
    P.S. Hey Ron , Bryan & Rob of course you alredy have these good looks out back and unmistakably there is no way that it sounds like the awesome SS . Nothing can quite match that magical big eight sound and performance... Maybe next time...!!!
    Later....
    Frank ;)
    Well done, Frank!! What brand duals did you have installed?...Gibson?...And some of those aftermarket kits can sound almost as nice as the originals.....good luck!!.............bryan
    Many thanks Bryan... !!!
    They took the one very large stock GM muffler off the one side and replaced it with 2-smaller and better flow dual
    stainless Dynomax mufflers. My request was that I didn't want it to be too loud... e.g.. like FlowMaster can be... etc. I'm not a teenager any more, although I stiil feel like one.. So, they were kind enough to let me hear 3 or 4 different makes on my car before they welded it up. It took about 2 1/2 hours and everything was made custom - by hand .
    Great guys at this shop.
    Thanks for your interest !!
    Frank ;)
    terrific, Frank.....sounds like a good choice.....My wife says I'll never grow up....I put aftermarkets on my wifes 2000 Impala, they sound good. Nothing like a little rumble from the pipes! Enjoy..........................bryan
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The lights flash but the problem is that in daylight, you can't see them from the side of the car. With my '02 Monte Carlo, there were side markers that lit up as well but the new Impala's lights are hidden from the side. Any other thoughts?

Sorry, I am all out of ideas. I can usually see my lights flash if I am looking at the car at any angle other than directly to the side. I can also tell it has started when I hear the engine initially turn over. In the winter I look for vapor whisping out of the tailpipe as a visual cue as well.

When I park and walk away from the car, I always hit the lock button twice and listen for the horn to know it locked.
    My car , when I start it, rolls about 10 inches ( thats how i know it has started!)...like a caged Lion, I'm serious!!....On a less serious note, I put a sign up on my fence gate, it says..."BEWARE OF IMPALA"....some people have vicious dogs,I have a vicious Impala :mad: .......................talk later....bryan
    Hey Bryan you are not joking, are You ..!!

This is absolutely priceless...You made my Day..!!!
    :shades:
    Later...
    Frank ;)
  • robs6wagonrobs6wagon Member Posts: 68
    Many thanks, Frank! The car is quite a sight to look at. I really think that GM put a lot of effort into this model, and it shows. My dad had a 1963 Impala, so it was appropo to buy this on some 44 years later, on my mom's birthday! (my dad was also born on the same day, same month, and same year as my mom!). I wish he was still here to see my Impala! I'm quite sure he would enjoy the ride!! Thanks again, Frank. -Rob
  • robs6wagonrobs6wagon Member Posts: 68
    Hi all, If I may be so bold as to throw out a couple of thank you's. Russ, thanks for the vin history report you did for me. That report played a big part in pushing me over the top to Impala land!! Ron, thanks for words of encouragement! ....if I let anyone off this thank you list, my humble thanks to you all! -Rob
    You're quite welcome, Rob. Glad to help; this forum really helps us all.

Guess what I saw on the way home tonight. An identical black on black SS cruising two car lengths ahead in the passing lane. It took a while to catch it but when the other cars finally got out of the way and I went to pass it on the right, it was a lady driving with a cell phone attached to her head. Bummer deal cuz I was hoping to exchange some exhaust music with my car's twin. Cars like this shouldn't be wasted on drivers like that. I still haven't heard what the SS sounds like from the outside. :(
    Hi there Ron,.

For what it's worth, I have ...!!! Oh Boy..!! The SS pipes are absolutely magical and incredible from the outside. Why don't you trade cars with one of your Impala family members for about 5 minutes, drive side-by-side, open the window wide, and be prepared to be aaaaaaaawe struck....!!!!
    I always enjoy your stories and insight...
    Many thanks
    Later......
    Frank ;)
    Hi Rob...
    This is special...!! Many thanks for sharing from your heart here..!! Yes, he would most certainly enjoy the ride!! No doubt, he would be very proud of you....!!
    Thanks again Rob,
    Frank ;)
    Hi Everyone...
    Well, this is the time of the day (Yawn..about 6:30 am here..) when I can do my messages. So, if you don't mind, here comes another one....!! I Need You Help...
    Would some of you CarSpace/Edmunds Forum veterans out there help me with a question...I sent in a email to the general CarSpace contact address a few days ago and have not recieved any responce yet.! You know how I get impatient ! I was just wondering what the current policy is on mentioning any items/parts for sale in our messages ? I am not sure if this a NO-NO here !!
    Thought I would ask and get a reading before i get myself into any trouble.
    As usual , many thanks...
    Frank ;)
    Drinking my morning coffeee here, Frank,......Sorry , I can't help you on this one...........talk later................bryan
    Has anyone else here seen the Optional 18" '06 Super Sport wheels? Their an awesome set of wheels!! Their on page 23 of the 2006 Canadian Impala brochure (yes, there's a difference between the American and Canadian brochures),anyway, those wheels are awesome....going to check them out....probably about $200-250 a piece.........talk later........bryan...............................OUCH!!...Just looked up the price...can this be right?......$487.00 a pc?.......and my dealer wants $606 a pc.!!!!!1
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Question: Has anyone experienced a clicking sound from the console shift lever or under the dash when shifting from "Park"? Here's my situation, and two separate clicking sounds and locations: With ignition on, applying foot to brake in order to take transmission from "Park", I hear and feel a clicking sound in the console and in the floor-mount shifter; when I depress the shifter button to move the lever, I hear and feel a click coming from the dash behind the instrument panel. I also hear a clicking from the dash panel when the car is stopped, ignition turned off, and opening the door; this click is associated with the odometer illuminating. This initially started with just the clicking in the console; dealer replaced something but said the noise was from a solenoid and could be eliminated. Five days later, I started to hear the clicking sounds in the dash panel. I can't buy the idea that the sounds are normal and can't be eliminated. Any thoughts? Any one experience this? I'm not through trying to work with the service manager, but I want to get any information I can. Thanks, Clark
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Odds the click you hear when you put your foot on the brake to shift from Park is the sensor that triggers when you put your foot on the brake that allows you to shift into park (a safety feature). I don't know about the others, but I'm pretty sure that's what this one is.
    I agree that it's the interlock mechansim, but I can't figure why it just started to make the noises. Also cant figure why it started with just one, and then moved to the other location as well.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    COL...........Check on Fleabay !

There is a guy called Cardio-doc who sells almost new take
    off wheels from GM cars (mostly Cadillac).
    He might have a set you need............
    For what's it's worth, I've played around with my shift-lock sensor before and it clicks more noticeably (maybe obviously) if I'm pulling on the shifter (lightly) when I apply pressure to the brake. I first noticed it when I was a little off synch with my normal routine and then played with it a bit to get an idea of how it works. Is it possible your column shift isn't in the fully upright position...maybe from normal wear...and it's resting on the mechanism now? Try pushing up on it while pressing and releasing the brake to see if you can isolate the sound and maybe make it louder and softer. If you can manipulate the sound, you'll be able to isolate it.

I just went out and tried to hear a click when opening and closing the door and hear nothing but I did notice a new sound if you wait for the interior lights to dim and go out. In my SS, it almost sounds like something crawling inside the dash when the lights initially begin to dim. It's hard to describe in words but if you listen in a quiet place, you'll probably hear it too. Also, I noticed that the radio display (Bose in my case) remains dimly lit for about 10-15 seconds after the interior lights go out. It's kind of like having your TV on with a black screen. Although, looking closer, I could see about 8 fine red lines across the display. I heard a very faint electronic click when the display eventually went dark. I'm guessing that was the security system arming.

Another little tidbit of info about the Impala. ;)
    Why don't you trade cars with one of your Impala family members for about 5 minutes, drive side-by-side, open the window wide, and be prepared to be aaaaaaaawe struck....!!!!

I would love to but both live over 500 miles away...in opposite directions. Guess I'll just have to let one of my buddies help me out here in town. :) I have one who used to own some 60s era hot rods. He should be willing to help me out. ;)
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    My '06 LT has the same noises you are experiencing. I have always figured the click from the brake pedal to be the brake shift interlock releasing. The click when shifting may be the shift position registering on the DIC gear display. The click when opening the door with the car turned off may actually be the retained accessory power feature shutting off (it just happens to coincide with the odometer reading illuminating on the DIC).

In any event, I wouldn't consider the noises to be out of the ordinary. Now that I know the car has the clicks, I would be concerned if it stopped making the noises. Solenoids can be "noisy" at times. Sometime if you are bored, sit in your car with the doors closed, the ignition turned off, and all 4 doors UNLOCKED. Press the UNLOCK button on your fob and you can hear the solenoid in the dash click each time you press the button and it sends the signal to unlock the already unlocked doors. Fun stuff :)

We had an '03 Impala that made the same clicking sounds as the '06 makes. To me they seem normal.
    Hey Bryan...
    No, I haven't seen them yet...You sound very impressed though...!!! Is the brochure that you are refering to on the GM website, or is it your hard copy...??
    Well, Geo9 makes a really good point in a later message to you.. Yes, I too would consider looking around in EBAY or something similar first... You probably don't remember when I upgraded my 16" wheels on my '06 LT just a short while ago...Well, it was a real eye opener for me... :surprise: Again, I'll share just briefly what my experience was when purchasing my 18" SS alloy wheels with the 235/50/18 Goodyear RSA tires.
    Hold on to your seat now...!!! My Gm dealer wanted about
    $ 825.00 for each mag and another $ 295.00 for each tire. In total, it came out to about $ 5,000.00 with taxes....OOOOOOUCH !!! I said.. " ARE YOU CRAZY" !!!!! :confuse: So, I searched around EBay for awhile and found a wheel/tire company in California with the exact same package (4 SS mags/4 tires)for only $699.99 US. These were brand new "Take-offs" with only 200 miles on them. Absolutely incredible..!! So, after including the additional costs i.e. shipping, US dollar exchange and duty, I was still much , much further ahead. Hey Bryan, take your time and look around ... no doubt you will find the optional Super sport wheels that have caught your eyeout there somewhere...
    Later....
    Frank ;)
    Hey Ron ... Now that you mentioned it...!!!
    Ahhhhhhhh those 60's.....Thanks...Just had a flash back.
    You know, we are probaly around the same age and I am quite sure that you will be able to related to me here... Sometimes, I still kick myself in the pants for not hanging on to my "69.. 427 Chevelle ( COPO )- 425 HP. As you know, it had "ALL" the performance goodies and some...!!! Really an awesome ride back then..
    Oh well ...thanks for the memories...!!!
    Later
    Frank ;)
    Frank, yeah I'll take my time on this one.....I want the exact ones that GM has in their brochure, (it's my hard copy) so it will take some looking around......thanks for the info........talk later...........bryan
    Hey Bryan...Somehow,I just found a 2007 Impala brochure
    sitting in my drawer...On page # 17 it shows an 18"
    chromed 5-triangular double-spoke aluminum wheel..
    Is this the one..????
    Frank ;)
    Hey there Ron, Bryan and now Rob....

Well' all You guys with those incredible SS 5.3's.
    I Can't remember if anyone went to the K & N
    performance air filter...either the square stock
    replacement or the high performance air intake kit.
    any input here....???
    frank ;)
    Frank, I don't have the 2007 brochure...only the '06 Canadian brochure.....looks like a 10 spoke wheel, but it has 5 spokes that branch out into a "V" shape.....bryan
    Hey Frank, if you go to the 2007 www.chevy.com site....look under "accessories"....the wheels are there.......18" chrome wheels, there the ones....2006 and 2007 are the same.....
    Hi Bryan.. Seems I'm very chatty today...!!!
    Thanks...Yes, I went to the web site and yes sir-eee, those are exactly the same mags that are in my 2007 Impala brochure.
    Very , very nice....!!! I'm Just on my way out , but before leaving, I went into ebay.. quickly typed in " 18 inch chrome impala wheels" and WWWWELLA... I saw what appeared to be the identical looking ( not sure if they were exact GM Parts)10 spoke chrome wheels....They were brand new and still in the box for anywhere from $ 500.00 - $ 700.00 for all 4 !!!! Have a closer look and see what you think....
    Later.....
    Frank ;)
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Those optional blade wheels for the SS and the chrome ones for the LTZ have been offered by chevy since the 06 Impala came out.
    Frank, thanks for the info, I looked on ebay...those wheels are close, but not the real optional wheels that GM offers. In this case I want the "real McCoy"....I'll either pay a hefty price or do without....I asked the Parts manager at my dealer if anyone has purchased those optional wheels, he said... NO!!!!....I'm kind of a correctness freak...I want GM options only....like my all weather floor mats, I only would buy the GM ones....probably could have bought others for half the price.............anyway, I'll keep looking...............thanks.................bryan
  • carl10219carl10219 Member Posts: 18
    Hi Frank,
    I went with the K&N box filter don't really know if it made any difference as the car was brand new but I do run K&N in all our other vehicles and have noticed a difference in them.When I pulled out the paper filter our SS came with I couldn't beleive there was any air getting through it,it's like a super compact accordian unlike the K&N.I did look at the high performance model and I'm sure it would be better but after reading the installation instructions decided it was a little more complicated than I wanted to mess with.Hope this helps.
    Carl
    Frank,
    I have the drop-in box K&N as well and also didn't really notice a difference but I got it almost immediately after buying the car (I didn't notice a difference between regular and premium fuel back then either but I do now). At the time, the higher-end version wasn't available or I'd have probably gone for it. If you look around on the web, you can find pictures of people who have installed it (and other accessories).

Later,
    Ron
    Sometimes, I still kick myself in the pants for not hanging on to my "69.. 427 Chevelle ( COPO )- 425 HP.

You deserve a kick in the pants! ;) I don't think we're the same age, though. I grew up lusting over cars like that but never had the chance to own one (at least not one WORTH owning). I came of age in the 80s with Chrysler turbos, wimped out GM 305s, and the good ole Ford 302. But, I wasn't able to afford anything worthwhile. I am staring down 40 (in July) and this Impala is my first REAL performance car. Hopefully, it won't be my last.

Later...
    Ron
    Hi Bryan..

Good for you... and I don't blame you !!
    I try to stay away from that imitation stuff myself and keep it all chevy. That's why i went for the REAl GM '07 SS 18 inchers. Too bad you don't have a Gm employee friend or retired relative .. You could use their employee card and get about 30 % off. Keep looking...Let us know how you make out....
    Later.....
    Frank ;)
    Hey Ron..
    I'm sure it won't be your last...Once it gets into your blood ...that's it !! Thanks for your (and Carl's) input on the K&N..I think I'll try the square stock replacment filter for now and see how I make out.

Again, Many thanks
    Frank ;)
    QuietPro and Ryster--Thanks for your analysis and input. I can rest a little more comfortably knowing mine isn't the only one making those sounds. Identification and isolation is the key to determining if it is an issue for concern. I guess I'm overly sensitive to strange sounds until I can get reassurance that it's not a problem. Comes from too many years of flying. Thanks again guys.
    Hi Bryan....

Ooops ! :surprise: Sorry ! :blush: I hope I haven't offended you... :confuse:
    'Ya....I have about 15 years on you. And, the funny thing is.... I'm still very much enjoying my cars like I was at
    20 , 30 , and 40 !! Hope I run into you one day...

Enjoy.............
    Later
    Frank ;)