Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

player4player4 Member Posts: 362
2006 Chevrolet Impala

Chevrolet is busy perfecting the heavily updated 2006 Impala. The front-wheel drive sedan will remain on the W-car platform, but will be re-engineered and undergo major cosmetic changes as well.

Codenamed GMX360, the heavily redesigned Impala will arrive for the 2006 model year, along with the SS version seen here, indicated by the dual exhaust and spoiler.

Comments

• charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    ....Soon there will lots of spy pictures of the future Impala SS.......As we know it is staying front wheel drive 3500 V6, 3900V6 and possibly 4600 or 4800 V8 offered in the SS.......the two pictures shown make the car look not much different then the current 2004 SS..with the rear lights in the corners some other exterior freshing....Chrysler is the one to watch....the 2006 (new) Dodge Charger coming at the same time will be offered with the Generation II Hemi 6.1 Litre, close to 400 hp....over 400 ft torque...rear wheel drive and very aggressive looking.....the 06 Impala SS will look tame compared to the CHARGER.......Chevy is still playing catch up while DC is pushing the envelope with very stylish looking cars and trucks.....too bad....I was hoping for much more from Chevy!!
  • hvanhvan Member Posts: 56
    I think the benchmark for 2006 Impala LS is the 2005 Chrysler 300. Fit and finish better be as good as the 300. Otherwise, as a current owner of 2000 LS, I'll be buying the new 300 next year or so.
    I am not a camera person.... ( I am sure the pictures were taken from quite a distance) but it appears the mule of the 2006 Impala shown appears to have a smaller back window and front windshield then the current Impala... I hope those aren't the Impala SS wheels that the car will be going with...they are quite common looking 5 spoke. For a design thats going to be around for the next 3-5 years from what I can see Chevy certainly didn't get too creative....looks like the onstar aerial is now on the roof...hopefully there will be a better distinction between the 2006 Impala LS, LT and the SS....and the 06 Impalas come with more interior colors.....then currently offered...we will soon know!
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    How did you get pictures directly on your posts?
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    image.

This is how i got the pics in my post, all you do when you post something right at the bottom there the codes or whatever u wanna call it for posting pics and also for makeing letter bold BOLD and thats all you do. you copy and paste the code then you type your webiste in starting with the http:// and same thing with bold except for the http thing.
  • steven2steven2 Member Posts: 37
    GM just put out the new Malibu, what are they going to do to make Impala fit in the Chevy line-up? They could lengthen it or raise the price, but the way they've been pushing the Malibu, Chevy can't really market the Impala as just an longer family sedan.

P.S.- What is the future of the Pontiac Bonneville? It appears to be a sitting duck right now, some say that Pontiac will drop it, others say a redesign is on GM's to-do list. Any chance they could make an Impala twin out of it?
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Some guy at GMI claims this is the new Impala, I highly doubt it.

image.
  • hvanhvan Member Posts: 56
    WOW! I'm impressed!! It looks kinda like Nissan Maxima.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'm impressed also. The rear end makes it look very Maxima-ish.
  • thegriffonthegriffon Member Posts: 12
    It is the Japanese Nissan Teana, sold as a Maxima in some markets but smaller than the Altima.
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    I like the blue Impala picture A LOT. I hope that is it!
  • jmajicjmajic Member Posts: 2
    if the impala "ss" continues to stay as front wheel drive format car then it wouldn't matter if they redesign it or not it will be a sorry car. chevy should had kept the impala a rear wheel drive platform car when they redesigned it.
    When the current Impala was introduced in 99 I also believed it should have been rear wheel drive...but as time went on the front wheel drive grew on me and I have been very happy with my 2001 LS...this current Impala has been a huge seller for Chevy ...the current front drive Impala SS outperforms the 94-96 Impala SS in acceleration, handling, fuel economy, reliabity, etc....it also outperforms most of the 60's Impala SS high performance models including the street 396, 409s and 427s that were offered then. I remember those cars. 10 miles to the gallon, skinny 14" tires/wheels later on 15" holding up 4000 pounds...I liked those cars for nostalgia purposes only....The curent Impala definetly needs refreshening especially the interior, and thats coming but I think they hit a home run with the current model....2005 the SS is offered in Black, Gray, and Laser Blue. 2006 will offer a 5300 V8 (327).....Rumours are that 2008/09 Impala might revert back to rear wheel drive on the Zeta platform...if you can wait until then your wish might come true!
  • abannerabanner Member Posts: 8
    Looking Forward: The Buzz

From latest "BUZZ"

2006 Impala
    Chevrolet's big sedan will finally return to rear-wheel drive when it's moved to an all-new platform in 2006. A coupe version is also planned off of the same structure, but don't expect a revival of the Camaro nameplate.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    You won't see a RWD Impala before 2010, if ever. The 2006 Impala will continue to use the FWD W body platform, but will be restyled and use a 200 hp 3.5L V6 (from the Malibu) or a 240 hp 3.9L V6 with displacement on demand and variable valve timing.

You may see a RWD Chevrolet coupe around 2009.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I think because the '05 GTO will be using the new LS2 engine (now available only in the new C6), Pontiac should allow their precious 3800 Series III engine (with 260 ponies) to be available for the '05 Impala SS and Monte SS supercharged models. Either that, or install the LS1 engine in both cars and convert them to RWD, like the '04 GTO. If you're gonna market a car as an SS, then you better be sure it's got all the ultimate performance parts available at the time it's being sold.
    The 05 Impala SS is a carry over from the 04's. Just a couple new colors. The 2005 LS has a couple more deletes. They removed the ashtray from the LS and the word Impala from the front doors, just like the base model, still the series II 3800 engine. The onstar aerial is on the back roof. I think GMs problem is they compete too much with each of their own divisions and not with the competition. Impala sales are down so far this year from last year because the car should have been freshened already not next year. There is a huge demand for performance right now! and Chryler saw this, now they can't make hemi engines fast enough. Next year they are upgrading their hemi engine to 6.1 litre to 425 hp (25 more hp then the new C6 Corvette) ....Chevy has nothing to compete with their front wheel drive lineup, and the GTO even with the Corvette LS2 engine won't be able to compete with the 2006 hemi charger next year...I have said this before. GM follows, never leads.....and I am a GM guy!
    What about using the Zeta platform for the Impala and Monte? Here's a link on Zeta:

http://www.editorial.discountnewcars.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/sto- - - - - ry2/C90B23606C59F9C6CA256E45001580AB

If Bob Lutz could convince GM's top brass to bring back the GTO, then why couldn't he convince them to redesign the Impala and Monte? The article says that he wants Buick to be a more upscale (and expensive) alternative to the the Lexus. So where does that leave the middle of the road buyers? I think GM will be forced to redeign the Impala and Monte to stay competitive with other car makers. As you said, there is a sudden demand for high performance cars. I think I read where GM is building a new plant near Detroit, dedicated to making only high performance engines to compete with Chrysler and Ford. I think that's a very wise decision on their part.
    I found the website that shows the article on the subject:

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89645

Scroll down to the 1st post (by FUTURESTRADER) and click on the link.

I think they'll build some of the engines for the '05 GTO and SSR.
  • impala2289impala2289 Member Posts: 1
    Well you really dont seem to know what you are talking about. FYI (For Your Information), Chevrolet will be introducing 2 rear wheel drive cars in late 2005. The Face lifted Monte Carlo, and the totally redesigned Impala. Both of them will be offered as a rear wheel drive car with a V8......
    Thought that you might want to know that...

Impala2289
    How current is that info about the Impala/Monte Carlo regarding rear wheel drive and V8 engines....Lately information that I have found indicates that Chevy has decided not to go with a V8 with their freshened 06 Impala coming out in May next year, Motor trend just indicated that and Automotive news had a story about that just a few weeks ago. No V8 for the next Impala/Monte Carlo..
    My information indicates that the 06 Impala will be basically the same structured Impala that we have now (you have seen the spy pictures) the rear and front of the car will be freshened as well as the interior to be upgraded..engines are suppose to be the 3500 and 3900 v6...there was suppose to be 5300 aluminum v8 but I understand that has been axed...possible 6 speed automatic not sure....I believe it will be 2009 when the Impala and Monte Carlo have major revisions possible rear wheel drive on different platforms..Thee is talk of the Camaro returning in 2007 for its 40th anniversary and also a Chevelle model (which is really a Malibu) kind of confusing!
  • kennethkenneth Member Posts: 13
    Funny you should say that "you really don't seem to know ehat you are talking about". Same thing might be said about you (unless you are a GM employee who has inside information). According to a long time automotive writer for the Detroit News yesterday, the 2006 Impala will be on the same platform as the current Impala. Also, GM is not planning on offering a RWD Impala until at least 2010.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Anything on the horizon of an Impala wagon? I'd like to remain loyal to Chevy and the Impala when it comes time to buy another car (probably in a couple of years), but even with a hefty GM Card rebate, the Dodge Magnum is going to look pretty tempting (especially after it's been out for a few years, and incentives are increased).
    I doubt you will ever see an Impala Wagon again. Nothing on the horizon for 2006 and beyond that I have heard. I believe the last one was made in 1990 (Caprice)....The Aveo, Malibu Maxx and the Chevy Equinox fill the bill for the Wagons, (hatchbacks) as well as the Trail blazer and the new HHR coming next year. Chevy has a lot of sorting out to do with all the models they have now..but no true station wagon like the magnum.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Admittedly if I were buying today, I'd take a good look at the Equinox (Malibu Maxx is just too plain looking somehow). I'm intrigued by the HHR, but how will it stack up size-wise? I'm thinking it's closer in size to the PT Cruiser, which would probably be too small for my needs.
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    It will be interesting to see how Chevy responds to the success of Dodge. Maybe they will try copying them with an Impala wagon, but I doubt that they will.
    There is nothing in the works for an Impala wagon. I don't think chevy is going to compete with the new dodge magnum or the Charger coming next year..Impala is staying front wheel drive with two 6 cylinder engines...There was a rumor that the 2006 Impala SS was going to have a 5300 aluminum v8, but it appears that might not be the case..My understanding is the 2006 Impala will debut at the Detroit auto show in January or the California show in Feb 2005...and be in production in May of 05'...it shouldn't be long before we see better spy photos of whats coming.
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    I just saw some 2005 Impalas, with the Onstar antenna on the roof. Looks ugly, like a man's whisker from a beard on top.

But the big thing is the windshield--it looks smaller because of the black lining around it! That lining is the Onstar antenna! It's actually making the usuable view smaller. For adding a safety feature, I think it's making the driving less safe!

I don't understand why some '05s have this configuration and some don't. Does anyone know the answer? GM told me Onstar is standard on all '05 Impalas. It was optional on the base one before. They can't tell me if I can see online which '05s have the Impala has the antenna on the top, and which one doesn't.

I am angry about this, I feel they ruined the car. GM has a financial agreement with Onstar, and they are pushing this on the public. You can't buy the car without this windshield lining, and can't remove it either.
    I don't know anymore about this then you do. My understanding is the 2005 Impala will be a short production only until May 95, then the 2006 comes out....The spy shots I have seen of the 2006 GM cars they all have the onstar antenna on the roof. I don't have any info on the windshield that you describe
    Hopefully Chevy keeps making some improvements to this car every year or so, or it will soon fall by the competition wayside. 6 model years was way too long for upgrades and improvements in the last Impala. From most of the tests I have seen on the 2006 Impala the brakes need to be made larger, to handle the extra weight the car has gained. 138 feet from 60-0 is last place by todays standards in its group. Also the front seats definetly need side support in the SS similar seats to the Pontiac GXP to make it feel like a super sport. Chevy needs to listen to the testers to keep this car a top seller.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    2006 Impala will debut at the LA Auto Show in early January. I can't wait to see what it looks like.....I'll post some photos for all to see.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    kool,

lookin forward to seeing some real photos.

These spy shots we see do not show anything worth looking at
    I understand that the February 2006 issue of Car and Driver already has a picture of the Impala. I probably won't get my copy in the mail until late next week.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Yes, its one exterior shot. The vehicle looks more attractive, but fairly chunky/fat.

~alpha
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Can't wait to see this car. I'm really hoping for a high quality interior and some good nips and tucks.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I strongly suspect that the Impala will have the LS4 V8 because the GP will have it in the GXP model. I would expect the powertrains to include the 3500 and 3900 as well. If you want to know what features the Impala SS will offer you can look at the '06 GXP. I doubt the Impala will offer anything different from the GP, but it shold have a better interior. If the cobalt is any indication of where Chevy interiors are going I would expect the Impala to have a nice interior. The Malibu's interior isnt bad, it just needs better gauges and more color.
  • cadman88cadman88 Member Posts: 75
    There's a pic of the 06 Impala up at C&G.
    One post at the chevrolet news forum indicates that the 2006 Impala engine lineup is: 3500 V6 210 HP......3900 V6 240 HP.......SS 5300 V8 303 HP......13 more then the Pontiac GXP...thats the latest rumour.
    I went to a Cadillac dealership to check out the new STS. While there, I decided to check out the new Buick LaCrosse. The exterior looks like crap, but the interior was impressive! I was really surprised. If GM can make the interior of the Impala look similar to the LaCrosse, GM has a winner.

Pricing is key. Sweet spot is $25K for a fully loaded LS. Anything more than that will require rebate to move them out! Nowadays, you can get a Maxima SE for under $25K with rebate.
    I think we're in trouble. The 2006 Impala (at least in the front end) looks very similar to Honda Accord's front headlights and front grill. I can't really see the back end, but it looks as round as the Pontiac G6.

There goes my GM rebate points. Looks like I'll be pissing those points away.....

The Maxima SE is starting to look real good....
    Save your GM points until 2008 when the Impala gets the Zeta platform with RWD, 6 speed automatic, more performance, and other improvments. 2008 will be the 50th anniversary for the Impala so I am sure there will be a "SPECIAL EDITION" Impala in 08'...I can't wait!!
    I like the pics people have posted from the FEb issue of Car and Driver. I think the front end of the '06 model is much better than the current model. I do want to see the rear end. Considering this is a mass market family sedan, I think the styling is on the mark. It is definitely better looking than the ugly Maxima. If you like that car then I guess the refined look of the Impala isnt for you.
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Can you post any links for those pictures? I would love to see what the new Impala looks like. I went to caranddriver.com, but I couldn't find the pictures.

Thanks.
    Well, this American icon (Impala) is now turning into a Japanese wanna-be sedan.

Also, there's hardly any room for the bowtie to fit in that tiny looking Accord front grill.

I'll be at the LA Auto Show next Sunday. I'll post a complete photo of the new Impala.
    The main thing about the Impala I like are the powerful new engines. Otherwise, for about the same amount of money, I like the Ford Five Hundred better - more interior and cargo room, advanced Volvo platform, available AWD.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I like it. I saw it on another site I can not link.

So long as it has a good interior, I may buy one in a few years.

3.5L / 210 hp base is ok but the 3.9L 240 hp model sounds like my kind of car. The SS gets a V8.
    The rear of the 2006 Impala has very large lights in the corners (similar to the current Malibu) and the trunk is body colored, no more plastic across the back. Rumour is that black interior will be an option with the SS. The SS will be available with 5.3 V8 303 hp, not sure if an 18" wheel option will be available on the SS......for those that haven't seen the front of the car that has been shown on many different web sites there is a two piece grille. short rectangular grille above the front bumper that looks like an old style monte carlo.....and below the bumper a very large grille that follows the lines through from the top grille, gold bowtie in the middel of the top grille...the front headlights are very large jewel type that are more on an angle then the current straight across ones. the front hood a little higher at the front with a steep flow over to the grille. the side mirrors are fold away, the rear C pillar window lines flow with the rest of the window lines, the SS has chunky style wheels similar to the new Cobalt SS style wheels......
    I would expect the SS to have 18" rims just like the GP GXP. The wheels in the picture appear to be the wheels from the Cobalt SS. I dont understand why the V8 has 303hp when it has 290hp in the GXP. I think this car looks considerably better than the 500. I want to see the interior.
    Someone posted on another website Jan 3rd that the Impala will have 3 levels. Base, LT, SS. The LT will have 17" wheels, with leather interior.....The SS will have 18" wheels and offer leather or cloth interior....2 or three new exterior colors...pictures of the 2006 Impala are suppose to be available on Wednesday...stay tuned!