Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Clark,
    You put a link to your carspace pics here but once you post the message, the actual picture shows in your text, not the link that you see while you're typing. Give it a try, you're probably doing it right.

Ron
  • Options
    Corny,
    OK...was just curious if you had intentionally lowered the car. I do believe that with those rims and tires, you are actually sitting lower now. I'm guessing your speedo reads fast now unless you have recalibrated it. No biggie...it looks really good. :)
    What does rolling the fenders mean?

Thanks,
    Ron
  • Options
    corny40corny40 Member Posts: 20
    The way I posted the photos was by using an image hosting website. I used Photobucket dot com. You have to set up an account. It's free. Once you upload images from your computer, they give you links for each photo to use. You just click on the one you want and it automatically copies the link for you to paste where you want. For this forum, I used the HTML tags.
  • Options
    Actually, the speedo reads a little slower, 0.8% slower to be exact. At least that's what all the online tire size calculators tell me. The size I chose is the closest to the stock circumference, so I'm happy. :)

As far as rolling fenders, If you feel under them in your wheel well, you'll notice there's a piece at a right angle to the fender, basically parallel to the ground. Anyway, there's this special contrapation you can buy or rent that folds those peices up and out of the way. If you'd like a better explanation ('cause I don't think I did a good job), you can go to rollyourfender dot com. That's where I rented the one to do mine.
  • Options
    spinner1960spinner1960 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Frank, I do appreciate the humor.

This LED is in a small black box mounted underneath the dash (like I said-it seems like an afterthought), a tad to the left of the steering column. My first thought was alarm system but it's just as lit driving as it is parked and locked.

I have been trying to pay attention to see if this light blinks or flashes or anything, It just stays lit constantly.

It seems to me that I saw some activity from it just after I bought the car but with so many other new things to learn that little green light hardly seemed important (if it was RED I surely would have asked the dealer about it).

By the way, my car is the '06 LTZ, has all the bells/whistles but the sunroof & spoiler.

Well anyway, thanks for getting back to me Frank. If I figure it out I'll let you know. :confuse:
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the compliments.

Let's see, where do I start??? I tell you what, follow this link to my CarDomain dot com website

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2481481/1

In case that gets removed, I'm ride #2481481 at cardomain dot com.

There's a pretty detailed list of what I've done there, but for the short version, here are some highlights:

Wheels: 20" X 8.5" Mazzi Klaw
    Tires: 255/35-20 Khumo Ecsta
    Exhaust: Custom 3" (w/2.5" Y-pipe) exhaust with Flowmaster Delta 40's and res delete
    Grille: got off Ebay from grille4u
    Diablosport Predator tuner (love this thing!!!)
    Brakes: only painted w/Duplicolor caliper kit, no upgrades yet
    Decals: See earlier post

Some very near future mods (next 2 weeks):

K&N Cold Air Intake
    GM Performance Parts strut tower braces
    Engine bay "dress up"

As far as removing the emblems, I used a heat gun to help loosen the adhesive, then a plastic trim remover to VERY CAREFULLY pry them off. I used Goo Gone to clean off the adhesive that stayed on the car. Worked like a champ!

Any other questions, let me know. I'd be more than happy to answer. :)
  • Options
    mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Hey corny...

Many thanks for taking the time to pass-on all your info here....!! :)

Ya, just one small question ...What was your reasoning for taking the Impala & SS emblems off your trunk...??
    Looks great ... Just curious..

Now, when you get another minute or two, I would really like to know all about the Diablosport Predator Tune...Is this a performance chip, tuner module or...??.. details, details, details !!...i.e cost, installation, for SS only ?, performance results, and why do you love it so much..?
    Well, I can just imagine what the engine bay dress-up looks like..you might consider more pictures for us here..!

Thanks.. and let us know how you make out with your future mods...
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    Hey all...

If you don't already know this, go to miata.net.. it's a great place to go to and fool around with different tire size options..!! It shows a picture display of the actual tire size differences, as well as the actual speedo differences, and what ultimatley happens when you vary from the stock tire size ...i.e from 235/50-18 to 255/35/20. So, for example, it say's that corney's speedo reading with his non-stock tires (255/35-20) is 0.8 %faster.. And, when his speedo is reading 60 mph, he really is actually going 59.5 mph. Good choice here .!!

Frank ;)
  • Options
    colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    To much info for this old man......Just enjoying my rare one-of-kind, cloth-seated,low optioned SS........you guys make my head hurt...... :sick:
  • Options
    Ahhh come on now, Bryan, you'l be ok..
    It's like being around new kittens...they make you frisky!!

Frank ;)
  • Options
    Meoooowwww. :)
  • Options
    I guess the main reason for changing the trunk lid was to be different, but a close second would be that I HATE the big gold bowtie. I also prefer the more simple look, kind of the "less is more" approach. (At least for that part of the car. LOL) I also like how the impala emblem ties the the car together.

The Diablosport Predator is a hand-held tuner. It is only for the SS (not LS, LT, or LTZ models). It will work on other vehicles with the LS4 engine though. They normally cost around $400, but I was able to get in on a group buy that was set up by BuffaloSS (mentioned earlier in this forum. Great guy!) and we got ours for $307 to our door. He even worked the deal so we got the PC interface kit too. Anyway, it has several tunes out of the box, but it also allows you to adjust several parameters to "dial in" your vehicle and any mods you may have. It connects to the OBD-II port to "communicate" to your car. And don't worry about your warranty, b/c this thing saves your stock tune, and whenever you want to program it back into the car (say you're going in for service), you just program it back in. Diablosport's tech support team is great too. They're very good at answering questions and helping you out. They also have a forum on their website that has tons of info on these things.

As far as performance, all I can say is WOW!!! If you think these cars were fast before, you won't believe what a difference this tuner makes. The car pulls so dang hard now! It's almost scary (LOL). I can't wait to see what happens when I get the CAI in this week. I haven't taken it to the track yet, but I will soon, and of course let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Corny

Many Thanks for the second round of info here...it's very interesting..!! Some of the '06 & '07 SS guys (and gals) just might find this hand held tuner very, very intriguing.. we'll see. If I recall, a stock SS runs about a 14.2 at 101 mph in the quarter...Can we now hope/expect say... mid 13's ...??!!

Keep us posted..
    Frank
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    It's been discussed in

imidazol97, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3545, 26 Mar 2007 10:19 am

a topic about the software on Edmunds. The popups are being changed so they won't popup until the mouse has been on the name for a time. They aren't going to do away with them completely, yet. Pop up over there and make your input.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Wanda, Susan and Bryan...we all have red Impalas...hmmm...makes feel kinda girlish.....I have a Girlish car!!!...Ok, I'll have to sell it...... :cry:
  • Options
    ohhh...ohhh...!!
  • Options
    waynebengstonwaynebengston Member Posts: 29
    I've never found my '96 SS to be cumbersome, awkward and clumsy. I've autocrossed the Impala and beat the times of much smaller, supossedly sportier cars. The fact that it was not clumsy, but rather felt powerful, torquey, nimble, and fast, while making all the right noises, is what captures that classic SS feel.

As for chrome, I simply can't imagine a '90s or '00 vehicle festooned with chrome, the way they were in the '60s. It would be comical. The monochrome paint scheme and lowered stance is what set the Impala apart from the Caprice. The Caprice did capture the "boat" feel of the '70s Impalas.

Don't hold you breath waiting for a chrome festooned 2 door, 4 speed Impala. That would be a dinosaur...
  • Options
    cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    I'm with you regarding the bowtie. I replaced mine with Crossed Impala Flags from the '58 Impala. also added pinstriping down the side to accent and break up the broad expanse of paint.

Clark
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

• Options
    That's what I'm hoping!!! :D

Of course, I'll let yoou know.
  • Options
    Wow! I like those flags. Where did you get them?

What do you do at Ft. Hood? I used to be a Medic there w/the 20th Engineers, 1Cav.
  • Options
    Corny--I ordered the flags from an internet site; I'll have to look up the info when I get home. They are new, original equipment, had the mounting pins on the back. I didn't want to drill holes, so I cut the pins off and attached with the 3M double sided foam backed tape--same stuff the use in body shops. Ran about $38 and I sold the second to an Impala SS owner that I work with. The '59 and '60 versions were gold plated and they sell for $114 and up; too pricey for me, but I like the nostalgia of having something from the original Impala series.

I work in a development section at FT Hood--Central Technical Support Facility. We integrate and test all the software that goes into the digitized Army. I work budgets, admin, personnel and contracts issues. Working for the Army is quite a change from my experience in the Air Force; both good, but different perspectives.
    Clark
  • Options
    Hey Clark...

Very, very, nice ride you have..!!! :) Nice and clean looking, and those flags..!! What a great and different idea. Boy, it will sure make the younger guys wonder what these are all about, for sure ... I love it.!!!
    AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh....here comes those memories again.. :blush:

Thanks...
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,111
    By the way, my car is the '06 LTZ, has all the bells/whistles but the sunroof & spoiler.

Spinner, did you order that car? I have never seen an LTZ without the spoiler...that's the way I'd want the car! No sunroof also, the way I'd want it, to keep the price down and headroom up! I've only seen one or two 3LT's without the spoiler. I think it looks like you could pick the car up like a roller skate with it!

What color is your car? The 3LT and LTZ wheels are very attractive in my opinion. I don't own an Impala but find them appealing. I will say I find the bench seat (I like a center armrest; I know, not available on LTZ) to be really low and flat on the passenger side; probably the power right-portion seat could remedy that.

Bill P.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    Thanks Frank. Yeah, I like the links to the past.

Corny, Here's a link to a site that currently carries the crossed flag Impala emblem. Not the same one I purchased from, but prices are very similar. For you guys with the SS, the '59 348 hood emblem (chrome V with crossed flags nestled between) is also available.
    http://www.classicindustries.com/pdf/i_emblems-decals.pdf
    Scroll down thru the pages; interesting stuff all over.
    Clark
  • Options
    Bill,
    Actually I was just lucky. I was shopping around for a Monty or SS even though I knew they were more than I should spend.

The same day I gave up on the Monty/SS idea I saw the blue LTZ without the spoiler and sunroof, I drove it home that knight. I had figured that I would most likely end up those options even though they are not my style, It was almost as if I had ordered it, exactly what I wanted being somewhat conservative in taste.

I couldn't be more pleased with this car (now that the key fob thing is history anyway). A comfortable, quiet and quick ride for sure.

Spinner
  • Options
    Sorry Bill, I ment to ask what you are driving now and if you are here because you are thinking seriously of the Impala for your next car. :)
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,111
    I own an '02 Cavalier Coupe 5-speed, dark green with the 15" tires and aluminum wheels, and for my wife we own an '05 Uplander LS, Sport Red. Both are good cars; like the Uplander except for brake rotors and the second-row seats without armrests! I have rented Impalas before and frankly I like the styling better than the previous iteration. I could see getting my wife into one at some point.

Bill
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    Hey Bill...

Many kudos to you for thinking of your wife so quickly here...!! :)
    However, her (your) relatively new '05 Uplander will most likely go on for a few more years.. right ??. But, on the other hand, by '08/'09 your '02 Cavalier Coupe will probably be ready for that big older car place in the sky. Well, isn't that a coincidence...!! :blush: Geeee...Would you consider the new '09 RWD SS Impala with 6-speed and 400(?) HP....? I would have my name on the list by now..!!!

Drive safe....
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    garsarnogarsarno Member Posts: 72
    I'm sold on this change. I saw these on ebay motors for sale. I do not care for the gold bowtie on the trunk lid. I apologize in advance for being a copycat but I'm off to ebay motors to procure.
  • Options
    Now ya got me thinkin' Frank...

My wife is in the snowy N.E. going to school. She drives a RAM 4x4. The agreement is that when she finishes school and we reunite we trade vehicles. I'm thinking that RAM will be ready to retire shortly thereafter... :surprise:
  • Options
    Well, now isn't that conVENient??? :)
  • Options
    Hey folks,
    Does anyone know at what percentage of oil life the Impala calls for an oil change? With 6 quarts of Mobile 1, I want to get as much life out of mine as I can but I don't want to push it too far, either. The manual only says you should change it at least once per year and to change it within 600 miles of when the notice comes on but that isn't much help. Help me out, folks.

Ron :shades:
  • Options
    mmcrrcmmcrrc Member Posts: 1
    I got into my Impala on Tuesday afternoon and was greeted by a "Engine Oil Low Check Engine Oil" on the DIC. It has to this point had no problems other than the squeaky, cracks and pops in the dash from the defrost, and the remote start issue.

Got the call from the dealer today at 5 PM.
    Oil Pan Gasket
    Rear Main Seal
    :sick:
    13440 miles

This is the same engine that came out in 99 in the Silverado. According to the dealer they have not heard of any oil leaks in these engines let alone in the Impalas.

Out comes the transmission and all the main caps.

Gotta kinda wonder what made the main go out and the oil pan gasket.
  • Options
    Ron,
    the way these engines are so high tech and sensitive, I'd change the oil every 3-4K miles...that's my opinion and thats what I'll be doing..........bryan
  • Options
    Bryan,
    With conventional motor oil, I fully agree. With fully synthetic, I feel safe going longer but, I don't want to go too long either. Thanks for your input.
    I'll be checking for the oil leak mentioned in the earlier post while I'm under there this time around. Everything was bone dry last time so it will be easy to tell if anything has changed. My garage floor is dry so I should be ok.

Later,
    Ron
  • Options
    Ron, this happened to me last week.....my driveway is basically all flat, except for about 20 feet in front of my garage which it has a slight 3-4 degree incline, not much...anyway, I parked my car there for about 3-4 hours, went out , started it up and "low engine oil, check oil" lite came on...what?..look underneath the car ...nothing...checked the oil , looked full to me....pulled the car in the garage where its nice and level..waited about an hour , started up the car...and..no light at all came on....thats how sensitive these cars are!....talk later............bryan
  • Options
    Bryan,
    That IS very sensitive. The only time mine has come on is when I did my first oil change. I assumed it took 5 quarts so bought the 5qt. bottle and proceeded but soon realized I was a quart short. I figured I'd just drive to the store and get the extra quart since being a quart low isn't THAT bad but I sure did feel bad when the light came on. I do like it though because so many people out there equate the old oil PRESSURE light to be an oil LEVEL light and figure they're OK as long as the light isn't on.

All,
    Since we're on the subject, does anyone else have trouble reading the oil level on the 5.3L's dipstick? I know that sounds like a stupid question but when I check mine, the bottom side of the stick always reads higher than the top side. This is my least favorite dipstick ever. :)

Ron
  • Options
    Yeah, I have the same problem, very hard to read the dipstick. I don't like it very much either.

And as far as the oil changes, I've heard from many reliable sources that 5,000-6,000 miles is a good number for synthetic oil. :)
  • Options
    carl10219carl10219 Member Posts: 18
    Same problem with the dipstick here,also switching to Mobile 1 figure 5000 miles is a good number.Tried to switch on my first oil change at the dealership but I'm almost positive they put that crappy quaker state back in and charged me for mobile 1.They do not have a very good reputation for maintenance,but I got the best deal there.I talked to the Buick,Pontiac dealer and they said they would be more than happy to take care of our SS they have always been good to us so thats where I'm going from now on.
  • Options
    All SS Owners,
    Well, that's a relief. Glad it isn't just me. :confuse:
    My old '94 Cougar had an awesome dipstick if you could call it that. It was actually more like a piece of cable with a stamped metal tab at the bottom that dipped into the pool of oil in the pan. It was fool proof. ;) Oh well, I can live with a less than perfect dipstick.

Thanks for the inputs.
    Ron
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Nothing in the manual about this. I haven't taken a close look yet, but thought I'd see if anyone out there has the info?

Thanks!
    Brad
  • Options
    As far as the dipstick goes, I can live with it...as far as the Mobil one or other synthetic oil goes...I do believe its better than conventional oil, but if your planning on getting rid of a car in 3-4 years...why bother?..unless your going to give your car to your sister or other relative!...Having had 21 new cars in the last 37 years ...I have a terrible track record......traded a car in once with 9k on it....anyone want a nice '06 Impala with 900 miles on it?...I have more money than brains...so they tell me............talk later ..bryan....bought this car for my wife, she said it was too fast for her, so, a week later I bought her a new Honda..see...there was 2 new cars in 1 week...I'm a freakin car nut.... :) ..traded my new 6 month old Jeep in on this Impala.......crazy, huh?....I'm a car nut.....some cars I don't keep long enough to have to change the oil...........nuts....I need to be locked up!! :sick: .....and for the record..my 3 year old grand-daughter says it's not an Impala on the side of my car...it's a reindeer....so, we are driving Chevy Reindeers......don't forget.... :cry:
  • Options
    I'd like to have a problem like that. :)
  • Options
    gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    Due to major scheduling issues I actually changed mine the last time at 1% oil life. The dealer just chuckled at my stress at being so close. He assured me that there would have been other lights had there been an issue and that nothing would have happened at zero.
    It is my understanding that the oil should be changed according to the percentage of life, rather than mileage----although, of course, the mileage is still listed on the little window sticker.
  • Options
    Corny..2 things.....1) your car is great looking, wish I were younger and had the energy to modify my car...2) change your name, it sounds too corny.......... ;)
  • Options
    Garsarno--As someone else said here--copying is a sincere flattery. :) Have at it; that's why I posted the picture. In my opinion, Chevy forgot it.
    Clark
  • Options
    Well, the answer is 4%...that's when the "CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON" message comes up. I got that message this morning. I use Mobile 1, Extended Performance motor oil that is advertised to be good for 15,000 miles. I don't necessarily trust an oil filter that long so I'll limit it to the length that the GM engineers have programmed into the computer. I do know that mileage varies based on the type of use. I had a lot of highway mileage on this batch of oil and it went much further vs. the last batch that was a little more stop and go commuting and summer driving.

As for the dipstick, I put exactly six quarts in and one side of the stick is reading up into the twirly part and the other side says I'm a half quart low. I'll check it again tomorrow after it's had plenty of time to thoroughly soak every nook and cranny of the engine and filter but I'm sure it will read the same. Have the rest of you noticed that the dipstick will only go in one way as well? I wonder if it's being forced to bend near the bottom? That may be why one side of the stick is laying in oil and the other isn't completely covered. Crazy!

Later,
    Ron :D
  • Options
    lineman3lineman3 Member Posts: 12
    I really cannot figure out yet how they are trusting these new oils for as much as 15k? I have read oil studies ( independent, because I never trust the manufacture to police themselves ) and I have a fundemental understanding of bases, plus additive packages for anti corrosion and anti wear. You would be suprised at how little difference there is between the sythetics and regular oil. My studies are about 5 years old now, so of course things change. About 2 or 3 years ago they reduced/almost removed the zinc and another anti wear additive because it clogs up the catalitic coverters on newer cars. So the EPA said by. The problem with that is it was the major additive for anti wear. So when I hear 15K I just wonder. They most likely have come up with a replacement, I would just like to know what it is, so I dont have to use diesel oil in my pontiac ( they left the zinc it that oil ) Also anti corrosion packages don't last forever either, so they had to beef it up also, but acids from condensation etc still eat away and even if the car sits for the whole year, it should be changed, at least by the standards of a few years ago. Any new info on these newer oils would be appreciated.

Jeff
  • Options
    lineman3lineman3 Member Posts: 12
    I really cannot figure out yet how they are trusting these new oils for as much as 15k? I have read oil studies ( independent, because I never trust the manufacture to police themselves ) and I have a fundemental understanding of bases, plus additive packages for anti corrosion and anti wear. You would be suprised at how little difference there is between the sythetics and regular oil. My studies are about 5 years old now, so of course things change. About 2 or 3 years ago they reduced/almost removed the zinc and another anti wear additive because it clogs up the catalitic coverters on newer cars. So the EPA said by. The problem with that is it was the major additive for anti wear. So when I hear 15K I just wonder. They most likely have come up with a replacement, I would just like to know what it is, so I dont have to use diesel oil in my pontiac ( they left the zinc it that oil ) Also anti corrosion packages don't last forever either, so they had to beef it up also, but acids from condensation etc still eat away and even if the car sits for the whole year, it should be changed, at least by the standards of a few years ago. Any new info on these newer oils would be appreciated.

Jeff
  • Options
    martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    Here's an interesting article on the subject of oil life:
    link title