Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    wesleygwesleyg Member Posts: 164
    That sounds like my life story, bought the first Chevy in '65, my wife and I get a new one every two years, alternate the years, so every other year a new one for her and next year new one for me.

Occasionally I hit a dud and dump it before the schedule, my wife seriously thinks I am nuts but I can't help it, two years is tops for a car. My friends and relatives wait until I announce a sale and one of them usually buys the car. I now am semi-retired and am desperately trying to stop this pattern since income is now a factor, wife thinks it won't work. I'm keeping the SS forever!
  • Options
    colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    Wes, I've said that about 20 times so far "this is it , my last car"...I too am semi or whatever you call it...wife said I should have been an auto dealer and bring home a different car every nite....and , yeah , my friends and family are like vultures here too...wait for me to dump a car with 10k on it and they grab it...can't blame them, unless I get a lemon, then I unload it to a dealer!..I'm hoping GM doesn't come out with something better in 2 years, if they do, there goes this Impala....talk later............bryan
  • Options
    wesleygwesleyg Member Posts: 164
    Bryan, you sure you don't have an unknown brother in the Cleveland area? Just told my wife I'm never selling the SS, she looks at me and says that doesn't even merit an answer.
  • Options
    As for me changing my oil...I love it....if for no other reason than too get outside and tinker...nothing like a little grease under the finger nails.....and women like that "manly' smell....oil and sweat.....My silverado is the only vehicle that i've kept over 5 years....13 now......I fall in love with every car I get.....then all of a sudden , I see this other chick , and it starts all over again....if cars were women , I'd be the biggest, unfaithful womanizer out there.....I can't help it, I need help :sick: Baseball, Cars and apple pie.....nothing like it....although , I've been known to trade the pie for Absolut and Tonic!!......bryan
  • Options
    Wes, ...you have the same disease I have...get help.... :cry:
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    In case anyone cares :) ...

Underneath the outside corners of the front bumper there's a little fog light symbol. Remove the fastener beside the symbol. Bend down the small section of bumper that the fastener releases. Reach up inside the bumper to access the bulb.

A bit tricky to get the bulb in without it touching anything since you can't see up in there without crawling right under the car. Took me about 5 mins to change both.

So I now have PIAA bulbs (low and fog) and another after-market high beam since PIAA doesn't make H9s, K&N air filter, and my new Goodrich g-Force Sport summer tires should be here soon. I guess I'll have to start upgrading suspension parts and brakes next. Should have just bought the SS...... ;)
  • Options
    corny40corny40 Member Posts: 20
    1) Since you have more "money than brains," you could always pay some youngster to do it for you. ;)

2) I can't. Believe it or not, for all intents and purposes, that is my real name. It's short for Cornelio(I'm a junior), and everyone has always called me Corny. Forty was my number when I played football in high school and college.

:)
  • Options
    You did such a good job on yours, maybe I'll pay you to do mine!! ;)
  • Options
    cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Question: What do you folks see as your normal reading on your temperature gauge. Granted--I would prefer to have actual temps on the gauge face. I have always been of the opinion that the highest "normal" reading would be at or below the middle of the gauge. However, on my 2LT, 3.5L, the gauge typically sits approximately one to one and a half needle widths above the mid mark. Anyone else see anything similar? Lower? The dealer "noted" it when I brought it to his attention but was concerned.

Clark
  • Options
    Mine is right on the halfway mark or slightly below it...I wouldn't worry to much if it's slightly higher....
  • Options
    quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Clark,
    My SS sits dead center once it warms up and never moves.

Since we're on this subject, I meant to ask this question a while back and since some of you may still have some chilly mornings, how long (specifically the SS owners) does it take your engine temp to get to "normal." With my 5.3L, the needle starts moving before I get to the end of the block (and that's with a minimal, buckle my seat belt, warm up) and it's half way to normal within the first 1/4 mile. From their to normal takes a while longer, probably 2 or 3 miles. This is in temps ranging 30s to 50s Farenheit.

The reason I'm asking is I thought it was warming up a bit faster when I first bought it and thought maybe my thermostat had stuck partially open...causing it to take longer to FINISH warming up after the initial movement of the needle. What have y'all noticed?

Thanks,
    Ron
  • Options
    mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Hi There Clark...

As you may know, I too have a 2LT 3.5L and my temperature gauge needle at normal operating temperature sits exactly one needle width over the half-way (mid) mark and goes no further.. :)
    Personally, I don't think you have a problem at this point...You know, Autometer makes great looking /actual functioning gauges. OOOps, there I go with the mod stuff again..!! :blush:

Hope this helps somewhat..
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    Hummmmmmmmmm...2 years from now...let's see here...!!
    Well, Bryan, you may have to bite the bullet one more time, is my thinking...!! Better prepare your Wife...!!
    The big question is....Will it be the new SS Camaro or the new RWD SS Impala...?????? :confuse:

Your call..!!
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    Frank,
    not into Camero's..it will be the Impala, but only if it has better speed times......has to be better than 5.6 @ 0-60....top end has to beat 154 mph.....otherwise I'll keep this one... ;)
  • Options
    Ok, after bad-mouthing Ron about changing his oil and why use Mobil One....I got bored yesterday ...it was 70 degrees and beautiful, so I went out and bought my oil for the car. I wasn't going to do it yet, but, the manual says never go beyond 1 year without changing it. The fact that my car sat on the lot for a year and I've owned it for 3 months, I figured, why not!..So anyway, purchased the Mobil One synthetic and AC-PF-46 filter...I like where the oil plug and filter are in relationship to each other, very convenient!...I love the 3 pumps on the gas pedal to reset the "Oil Life" reading....what ever happened to just changing the oil and walking away?.... crazy world......those 3 pumps in 5 seconds are hard for an old man like me...takes me 10 seconds to find the gas pedal....
  • Options
    Hey there Bryan...Mornin to Ya.!!

Well, like I said, You better prepare your wife ..!!
    Personally speaking, I think the '08 version of the SS Impala is going to be a bute, and is going to get us all into some degree of trouble ..Soooooo...Hang on now,...at least 375-400 Hp for the top model/option. Beat 5.6 @ 0-60 and 154 MPH. I would think so, we are going to get major wind burn from this one...!!!
    Have a great weekend...
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    carl10219carl10219 Member Posts: 18
    I am no expert but the RW drive SS will need more HP to equal the front drive.I watched them put a super charger on a cadilac that was over 400 HP stock but at the rear wheels it was barely 300 HP.Horsepower is measured at the back of the engine and because front drive is almost directly connected you get more of the full effect.Personaly I think the most important part of the car will be the transmision hopefully a six speed auto.The only gripe I have on our SS is the tranny,to much hesitation and searching for the right gear, with a six speed they can run 4:10's for an awesome launch and have enough gears left over for cruising. With todays technology they should be able to design a tranny that shifts so smooth it feels like a one speed.Just my thoughts.
    Carl
  • Options
    My concern with the new SS will be that because RWD has more parts, will weigh more, and will come out like the '94-'96's...heavy, even if they have 375-400 horses , how much will they weigh?...The 90's Impalas weighed approx. 400-500 lbs more than the early 60's impalas.....and that was an era of metal and Chrome!! Anytime you have a car that is 90% plastic and styro-foam and it weighs 4-500 lbs more than the so-called tanks of the 60's...you have a real Hippo on your hands! So for me, it will be about speed, I prefer RWD, but I can adapt to either. The new "06-07 Impala SS is the fastest of all time (Impalas).
  • Options
    With the '09 RWD Impala, we'll be getting a larger car along with the extra weight. For those who want another car like the current Impala, the new Malibu will be upsized so they'll have another classic Chevy named car to satisfy them.

The Holden-based car promises to be a nice ride. I'm really looking forward to it. The early shots of the '08 G8/Grand Prix look really nice. I'll probably make a run by my local Pontiac dealership to check one of them out when they hit the lots. I'm hoping that Chevy pays a little more homage to the classic Impalas this time around with six tail lights and four forward leaning headlights. That would be really sweet. :)
  • Options
    waynebengstonwaynebengston Member Posts: 29
    Even though the '94-96 SS weighs more than the current generation and has an ancient suspension, it still outhandles the current Impala SS. The current Impala SS is like the muscle cars of old. Great in a straight line, but frustrating to run through a set of twisties. Personally, I'd prefer the car that looks like a hippo and handles, to the one that looks like a jaguar and does not handle.

If the next Impala SS is going to be RWD, it's going to be similar to the Holden Commodore. That is a car that handles great and hauls [non-permissible content removed]. It weighs 3902 Lbs and has 362 HP with 390 Lb-Ft of torque. 0-62 is in 5.2 seconds with a 13.4 second 1/4.

The Commodore SS is already a done deal to be imported as the Pontiac G8.

Here is a ride in the Commodore;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZAyS2brGVc&eurl=
  • Options
    Well, the video does nothing for me, just a guy driving on a curvy road....I'll be watching though, and waiting... ;)
  • Options
    Not a Commodore, but basically a 2 door version of it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikGtsI6Xo00

It pretty well demonstrates what I love about RWD...
  • Options
    Thanks, but the Video and especially the Car does nothing for me here.
    I know,... much is personal taste and just my opinion, but again thanks..
    NNaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, 362 Hp with 390 lb-ft...!! thats all!!.
    Gm Better do it-up right here or I just may cross over to the Dodge Boys.. Did I say that..!!! Come on now, the Charger SRT 6.1 has 425 HP with 460 lb-ft..... Yes.. now we are talk'n here !! Ya, you guessed it...I'm not one of those roundy- roundy or twistie guys as some put it. Give me straight line acceleration stuff any day...

Frank ;)
  • Options
    Well, here's my plan, keep my "06 ....get the '09 in 3 years, give the '06 to my wife, but before i do....take it up on a highway stretch with my friend who's equal in driving knowledge with me....drag the crap out of the 2 cars....I'll get back to you with results.........then my wife will get the '06.........sound like a plan? :sick:
  • Options
    There have been so many car that Dodge has built, that I really like, on paper.

Then I have to say, "Too bad it's a Dodge..." I've seen friends and family get sucked into the low quality and reliability nightmare of Mopar products. I resist the tempation and stick with others.

Keep in mind that the G8, and hopefully, the next Impala SS, will be available with a stick-shift, which is not available on the SRT8. Personally, I prefer a stick. In fact, I don't plan on ever having another automatic. That is the biggest thing I hate about my Impala.

When Motortrend tested the GTO against the SRT8, the GTO spanked the SRT8 in 0-60, 0-100, and in the 1/4, in spite of having less power and all-season tires where the SRT8 was rolling on summer tires.
  • Options
    Hey Wayne..
    Many thanks for your comments ...!!
    Ya, I do agree with you here.. let's hope it has a nice 6 speed with at least 3:73 or 4:10 gears. Either of these would work well with the overdrive 5th and 6th, while giving you lots of punch down below..
    You know, if you realy wanted to, you could put a manual valve body in your auto trans and you would be shifting solidly to your hearts content.
    Power to weight ratio is very important here, so ya I can see the big SRT_* getting its rear spanked ...
    THanks again
    Frank
  • Options
    hess4hess4 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 3.9, 2006 lt. The heat gauge stays at the half way point or just a little above it. But when I pull into my garage I hear a noise of water moving. My saleman says that its water moving to the recover tank. Its boiling water noise. Is this normal? Harry
  • Options
    just in your garage?..or any time you park?
  • Options
    Well Hess....He may be right, but you need to go through this One step at a time ... Is it really boiling ?? Look in your recover tank ,if possible, and also listen to your rad...Anything, anywhere...?? Is it indeed a boiling noise or is it a pressure escaping noise..sometimes it can be very similar...Might be a simple as a rad cap..!!
    Get back to us......
    Frank ;)
  • Options
    martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    Is the AC on? If so, it may be the refrigerant 'settling down'
  • Options
    Ok, Lets see....after 3 months, still like this car alot...gas mileage is 14.6 (this could be better, but most of this is my fault)....Onstar light stills goes red/Green, red green, but works fine. As mentioned before the rattle underneath was the heat shield hitting the tail pipe...I fixed that...tiny squeak coming from the driver side heat vent ( thats the Fischer-price Toyland plastic acting up) No paint chipping,heater popping, Key-fob problems ( works fine at 50-75 ft range, never tried any further than that, happy with that distance) at this time I really have no major complaints with the car..still waiting for a punk in a Dodge Charger to drag me........ok...talk later...........bryan
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    with a 2006 Impala 2LT ex-Hertz (Hawaii!) rental car. White/neutral leather, sunroof, 10,000 miles, looks virtually like new inside and out. Paid $15,500 and her 138,000 mile Olds Intrigue trade-in. I was very impressed with the power and smoothness of the pushrod 3.9; Chevy has taken the old "cam in block" about as fer as it can go. Averaging 26.3 mpg through the first three tanks of gas. Already made a few modifications: polished exhaust tips, 15% tint and a set of Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs. Only real complaint so far is the marginal (at best) OEM Goodyear tires. Getting an on-and-off vibration that I'm sure are the tires. We'll run 'em till next winter and replace with a set of good (as opposed to Goodyear) tires.
  • Options
    garsarnogarsarno Member Posts: 72
    2 month update on my '07 Impala SS - no problems / 4,800 miles. Did first oil change at 1,000 miles to Mobil 1. Some misc squeaks here and there but it ain't no Lexus (thank God). No close impromptu races - has won all. Mileage range from 9.7 to 15 mpg city and suburb combined. Got 24.7 mpg in Michigan highway use at 75-80 mph average. Great car. Only modifications is a chrome lisc plate frame and "Nickey" Chevrolet sticker on the rear. Evaluating getting a gold bowtie replacement emblem for the trunklid and painting the gold part gloss black to replace the current emblem.
  • Options
    wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    I keep seeing you guys mention the low mpg that you are getting. With all the problems big red has had, the mpg has been nothing to complain about. I average 25 mpg in mixed traffic. I have gotten as low as 22.5 and as high as 27.2 in mixed. It has surprised me since I only got about 22 in the camero in mixed driving, even with it more aerodynamic.

On the hwy between Nashville and Knoxville I get about 29.5, but there's the plateau and it burns a bit getting over the it. I usually go 70-80 on the interstate with a creep up to 90 a few times. But then I have the 3.5.
  • Options
    yeah but, Wanda, the reason I get low gas mileage is because I "burn out" at every light and stop street....my tires will be worn out at 2500 miles.....the front ones, that is... ;)
  • Options
    That would do it. :) And, if those are the OME tires, I wouldn't be sad to be replacing them. Except for the expense, I can wait to get rid of these. Gosh, 2500 on a set. If I was burning them I'd have had to buy 5 sets in the 9 months I've had it. My son would have to drop out of college just to pay for my tires. LOL
  • Options
    I just love the exhaust rumble so I am accelerating to speed with more throttle than I really need. As far as replacment tires when the Goodyear RSAs wear out, in the 235/50 X 18 size, www.tirerack.com has BF Goodrich TA 400 tires for $99 each, with a better treadwear rating of 400 versus 260 for the Goodyears.
  • Options
    Harry,
    If you have the remote start, pop the hood, let it idle a little and then shut it down while listening closely so you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I'm not sure if the remote start will work with the hood up so if you have someone to help out, that's an alternative. The noise could be perfectly normal but it's good to know for sure. Peace of mind is worth a lot. ;) Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Ron
  • Options
    Folks,
    I think I've posted on this before but I don't remember getting any feedback so I'll try again now that it's starting to warm up again. I have an '06 SS and I get a whirring sound, somewhat similar to the sound of a power steering pump that's low on fluid, when driving in stop and go traffic. This is most noticeable whenever I have driven at higher speeds (highway/etc) and then transition to stop and go. I can eliminate it instantly by shutting off the A/C compressor. When I turn it back on, it tends to remain silent but gradually comes back. It's more of an annoyance than anything although I am concerned that it could be an indication of a failing compressor. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
    Ron
  • Options
    Geee everyone...Just my .02 here !!

No, I'm not related in any way shape or form to any of the GOODYEAR's, nor do I have any stock in the company....
    But..For the life of me, I just don't understand what all the fuss is about with the Goodyear's, other than having a personal preference of course. I do know that their is better quality and price out there , but on the other hand, there is a lot worse..!! My current Goodyear RS-A's (235/50-18) have treated me extremely well thus far....Good ride & handling on dry roads, good handling on wet rainy roads and they were surprisingly good through the winter during some of our big snow storms here in Toronto.
    Oh Well...Obviously, I'm happy with mine so far..!!

Frank ;)
  • Options
    I like the factory Goodyears too but at a replacement cost of $233 per tire for a 260 treadwear rated tire, ouch! These BFG tires, at $99 per tire with a 400 tread wear rating seem like a good bargain. Unless the tire is a poor performer but so far, the opinions are there for it.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I do not have a Chev but I'll suggest one item. Does it sound like an alternator electronic "whine" sort of like a purring sound?

I have had alternator whine at certain speeds on some GM cars. It shows up at odd times. Shutting off the high load of air condition may stop it-the two fans behind the radiator are also drawing high currents along with the compressor clutch.

Try turning on the rear window heater and the bright headlights along with AC and see if higher load changes the character.

Try using a piece of wood like a piece of dowel or broom handle and touching one end -carefully- to the alternator and the other to your ear. Or if you have a stethoscope use that. Touch the AC compressor- maybe have someone help hold one end on the part with the moving pulleys and belts for safety while you "listen" on the other end.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    The traction in rain seems to be fairly good with the factory tires, but I don't like the road noise. And, when going around curves on rural roads at 45 mph speed limit they almost squeal like I'm taking the curve too fast. And maybe it's the car, steering, etc. and not the tires, but the whole car feels like I'm taking the curves a lot faster and doesn't seem to want to stick in the curve.
  • Options
    Hi there Wanda..

Probably, more than the tires here, it's most likely the suspension components on our Impala's..
    Are you feeling a soft ride, a little dipping and some body roll when taking corners ...well, if so, thats mostly what it is. All the LS's, LT's and the LTZ's have the softer ride suspension, while the SS has the so called firmer (??) sporty ride. What you are experiencing is the very reason why I changed/upgraded my tires, mags, rear struts, and front stabilizer (sway) bar to the '06/'07 SS version.. It sure did help in the corners....

Frank ;)
  • Options
    Definitely feel the roll & sway in the corners. I probably can't afford to change all that, especially all at once, but may upgrade the tires before they wear out since they also have the noise to go with them. It does seem that I feel bumps more than when I first got the car, so suspension makes sense as the culprit on this and the bumps. I'll keep the other things you mentioned in mind for more gradual changes.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Hey Wanda,

Sure thing...If you ever decide to make some changes down the road and want to stay with genuine GM parts, I have all the '07 SS part numbers...
    Just let me know whenever you are ready...

Frank ;)
  • Options
    Will do, thanks a bunch. I do get a little bit of a break on GM parts cost since my son works for a dealership. Don't get any break on labor though, and while I do some things, these may prove more than I want chance on a new car.
  • Options
    jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    Has anybody else noticed some deep vertical scratches on any or all of their windows? I had to have all four of my windows replaced on my 06 SS six months after leasing it and the replacement windows are already starting to scratch. The problem is with the window seals. Dirt and sand settles on the edge of the seal and is then forced down between the window and the seal when lowering the window. I've seen identical scratches on other 06 Impala's but Chevy tells me that there is nothing in their database that indicates a widespread problem. I've owned other Chevy vehicles and have never had this problem. :confuse:
  • Options
    cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    I've never had the occassion to drive my Impala on snow and ice. However, that may change today and tomorrow for us in central Texas.

Frank--What's your experience there in Toronto: Any quirks or pecularities, other than being careful with the power?

Clark
  • Options
    I'm pretty lucky so far but my nephew owns an '06 and he has the same problem with his. In his case, he parks outside and under a tree which I think contributes to the problem.