Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    I have neglected to return with an update. Sorry. Well, the BBB arbitrator took right at 3 weeks to reply, which I know is against their timeline, and when she did it was to say she wasn't changing her mind. She interjected all in the first decision that she thought I wouldn't be satisfied even with a replacement, She did so this time too, saying that I could not have a new car without paying some kind of fee, she didn't see anything in the law that said I should, and that she had already said she didn't think I'd be happy with it anyway. I find that offensive. It was not her place to say what I would or would not be happy or satisfied with. It was her place to be unbiased and give a judgement that was in line with the law and program, which she did not.

So, I visited one of the attorney's that I had talked with earlier and after going over my information and the repair tickets felt that I had a case under our state Lemon Law as well as the Magnuson-Moss Act, the Universal Commercial Code and the Federal Trade Act (I think it was). She emphatically said that the decision to include a usage fee was against our state lemon law. I hope all turns out okay, but she had me reject the offer which ran out last week. Which I probably would have had to do anyway because I don't have $4000+ to hand them. She is negotiating with her contacts at GM. I don't know how long it will be before I know something for sure, and we may have to file a suit. She feels pretty confident and I hope she is right.

Meanwhile . . . for about a week or two there was a new click type sound from the steering column area. It would sound several times after I'd start the car lasting on and off for 10 minutes or so. I have no idea what it was, but I don't hear it as often now as I did. The transmission is also acting strange when I take off sometimes being jerky and hesitant.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    quietpro,
    Is the "A/C making a moaning/whirring sound" the same as the whining noise you mention a few months ago? If so, what did they do to fix it. I may have the whining noise too. Thanks.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Original Bose system that came with the car, '06 Impala SS.

No hiss. Sounds great. No complaints.
  • 66novss66novss Member Posts: 12
    Have the same noise at times with the A/C on in our '06 Impala SS. Sounds like its coming from the compressor. Mostly notice it making the noise at low speeds & after the A/C has been on for awhile, moans & whirls, & cools poorly when its doing this. I'm going & try to make our dealer replace the compressor before the warranty is up. I know that GM has had problems with the nippondenso(sp) compressors.
  • irogersirogers Member Posts: 3
    The new Impalas are the worst cars I've ever heard of. See below. I am terribly disappointed with the new Impalas and GM. I bought one of the first vehicles and it is an absolute nightmare. I've owned nothing but GM cars and I will NEVER buy another one. My car has 70,000 miles, all highway miles and here's what I've had to replace or need to replace.
    10,000 miles: brake system defect, no charge
    45,000 miles: engine sensor, tire pressure sensor
    55,000 miles: transmission started slipping - dealer couldn't figure it out
    66,000 miles: transmission teardown - bad valve body - caused clutches to wear
    60,000 miles: traction control randomly fails causing car to go into "limp mode"
    69,000 miles: bad wheel bearing and tie rod end
    70,000 miles: started to lose coolant, don't know issue yet (praying it's not the engine)
    Other stuff: Tire monitor system stops reading pressure on long road trips, traction control light randomly comes on, paint defect on front bumper (paint is bubbling off), power steering has always made squeeking noise during right turns.

Best part about all of this is that I still have 2 more years until this piece of garbage is paid off. I can't support a company that produces this and has a customer service hotline that describes the above as "normal wear and tear"
    My A/C unit quit blowing cold air back in August. It had to be "re-programmed" at the dealership (like my trac control and tire system that both still don't work). I haven't had any of the noises described above. I didn't get charged for this because I already was paying $2,700 for a transmission teardown and then they found the tie rod and wheel bearing problem. I think they felt bad for me...
  • spoolerspooler Member Posts: 15
    I just had the dealer replace the battery in my 06 SS today, Same problem as quietpro, I noticed that sometimes the engine was turning over slow, like it was 30 below outside, even though it was easily 60 degrees. The other night my wife was driving home from work, stopped at a conveinence store to gas up, and then all of the sudden, the engine wouldn't turn over. The soleniod would just click. She called OnStar, who sent out a tow truck. She had to wait for the tow truck for about an hour. Blocking a gas pump at rush hour! The tow truck driver simply used his portable jump start battery, and it started right up. Called the dealership the next day, and they replaced the battery. They tell me on the SS, it is extremely hard to replace! Very tight fit! This car has only 14K on it, so I'm suprised the battery died that quickly.
    Anybody else have battery issues? I am wondering if the battery in the SS's ...because of the V8's,.... aren't getting "cooked" due to excessive heat where they are mounted. Most cars (if the battery is mounted in the engine compartment) have a plastic box
    that goes over them to insulate them from the heat of the engine, and also it tends to keep the battery warm during the winter. My battery does not have this. I would also like to hear from other 06 and later Impala owners. Anybody else having battery issues? if so are you driving an SS?
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    This is the same A/C noise I had complained about in the past. I re-addressed it because I had my car in the shop and also because my sister's car (3LT) has the same issue. Her dealer (the same place I bought mine) said it is common and performed some type of maintenance that they said would help with the problem but that it wasn't a fix. My local dealership just says they can't duplicate the problem.

If any of you are having trouble getting this sound to re-occur, the best way to make it appear for me is to get the car up to highway speed for a few miles or so and then get into stop and go traffic. It seems to be once the compressor is up to full charge/temperature that the problem shows itself. I noticed that after telling this to the service rep and them not being able to duplicate it, after getting my car back, there was less than one additional mile on the odometer. Way to go, jackasses! :sick:
    Thanks to both of your for your replies. I believe both of you have discussed this in the past with me and I appreciate you taking the time to contribute once again.

As for going to the dealership and comparing against other cars...no, I haven't. To be honest, it has been an issue I felt was never going to be resolved and I still feel that way for the most part. Without some real firm data to back up my case, I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Also, the dealerships here locally always seem to have few cars on the lot whenever I around and none had the Bose sound system. I still have time left on the warranty and hopefully I'll get some more feedback in this thread to make a better case.

Thanks again!
  • axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    Brrrrrrrr why are we talking about A/C now its winter
    Welcome to my world. It is quite frustrating to get the car back with only a tenth or so mileage change to have them say they couldn't replicate the problem. You know they didn't even try. The thing is, if you complain about the same thing they couldn't replicate one time, they don't even try after that and say they couldn't replicate it. The GM district manager said as much at our BBB meeting when he said they couldn't find anything the first times so didn't see the need to try again during their supposed final attempt.
  • painter76painter76 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I have an 2006 3LT, purchased in June. It has 32,000 miles. With the cooler weather, when driving off in the morning with defroster/heater on, I hear a clicking or crackling noise coming from the steering column area or dash board. It only lasts about 5 -10 minutes. The best way to descriBe it, is that it sounds like when you 'smack' your tonque on the roof of your mouth.
    The sound doesn't bother me, just the thought that it might be related to a serious problem or will continue to get worse. Leaving work today, I didn't put the heat/blower on and I barely heard it. After driving 30 minutes, I started up the heater and blower and heard it. I have an apt with the dealer, but do not want to waste time if they don't have an answer. The service rep said that he didn't recall hearing of this issue. This is the only 'problem' that I have had with this Impala. ANY IDEAS?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    If you park your car outside or in a carport where it's exposed to cold overnight temperatures, I'd think the noise could simply be from the plastics in the dash warming up from the heater and expanding, causing them to pop somewhat.
    That is exactly what I thought, but I thought it might be too simple of an explanation. The car is outdoors and it seems logical. Your reply is much appreciated, hope that is all it is. I do not want to have made a poor choice in buying an Impala.
    Hey. My car does the same thing (2006 LT3, 72,000 miles) and has always made that noise during the cold months. I think it is just that, the plastic expanding. I wouldn't be concerned (unless somebody from GM says otherwise).
    I actually get more of the reverse problem here, when it's 100-degrees in the summer and you get in and kick the AC on, as it cools down you'll get the same sounds as everything contracts. But it only lasts for maybe a 2-5 minute period until the interior temp stabilizes; if it were doing it an hour into a drive I'd probably worry about it.
    Regarding the popping sounds you're hearing, they may be related to a TSB that was issued for the 06 models. The fix was "anti-itch" tape that was installed over some screws that were making contact with the windshield. As the car heated or cooled, the small expansion and contraction caused the screws to slip against the glass and make the noise. I believe the problem was fixed later in 06 and beyond but I'm not sure. If you do a search of these threads for anti-itch, I think you'll find the TSB number. I'll take a look and if I find it, I'll post another reply.
    06-08-49-011 MAR 06 Interior - Dash Area Clicking/Ticking Noise At Warm Up

That is the TSB for the dash clicking/ticking. If you want to read ryster's post about his car, just click on the link to message that I'm replying to here. ;)

I don't believe TSBs have to do with warranty or mileage so you should be able to have the service performed if you like. They do have to remove the dash to do it...which makes some people a little leary...but I've decided to have mine done if I can get a got service department to take care of it. :P
    Thanks very much for providing this info. I would be leary too of having the dash removed, but might look into it. The noise isn't bothersome, especially if the cause is not a problem. I have never had any issues in the summer months when cooling down the interior, just in heating it up.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Can someone help out a clueless person? My wife (primary driver of 2006 Impala) wants an MP3 player for Christmas and would like to use it in her Impala. I know it has an input for MP3 player on the radio, but how does the player plug in to that? The manual states a 3.5mm plug; does said plug/cord/cable come with the MP3 player? Is this something else I have to find/purchase in order for her to use the MP3 player in her Impala? Do all MP3 players have this output available, or only certain brands (Apple Ipod, Sandisk, etc.). Any and all help would be apprecitated.
    I don't own a current Impala, but I did just buy a Jeep Patriot which also has the plug for an MP3 player. Last night we went out and bought the adapter for my daughter's iPod so we could play it in the Jeep; basically it's a short cable with male mini plugs on each end...one plugs into the iPod, the other into the radio. Then when you toggle through the inputs (AM/FM/CD, etc.) there should be one that's probably labeled "AUX" or similar, which then pretty much just uses the car speakers to play the iPod.

When we first tried it out I had to turn the volume up really high in the car, but then we realized that was because the volume on the iPod was low...so you might have to find the right balance between MP3 player volume and car stereo volume so that things aren't distorted.

I can't guarantee that all MP3 players use the same mini-to-mini plug setup, but I think we paid $5 with tax for the cable we bought last night, so if you can go that route it isn't very expensive at all.
    Thanks!
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Any electronics store (Best Buy, Circuit City) has this cable. You need male-male audio extension cable. The radio has 3.5mm female jack, and most MP3 player has the same type. So it is likely 3.5mm male-male cable that you need. MP3 players normally do not has this cable as standard. They have headphone with 3.5mm plug instead

jt
    Thanks. The MP3 player came yesterday, so we put some music on it last night. We are both in our 40s, so it takes twice as long to "learn" this new stuff... ;)
    My wife has an 06 impala SS. It blew a power steering hose clamp last week leaving her with no power steering. It turns out that this has been an issue for 06 impalas. (Next time you get your's serviced, have them inspect the power steering hoses!!!). There was a good part of this story, we have a Chevy dealer here in town, but we bought the car from another GM dealer 50 miles away. My wife called the original selling dealer's service department, who arranged to have the local Chevy dealer fix the car. The local dealer even gave her a loaner, EVEN THOUGH WE DID NOT BUY THE CAR FROM THEM, and she didn't even ask them for one. They had her car for three days because they had to order the parts, and replaced the power steering hose and clamp under warranty. All my wife had to do was put a little gas into the loaner car when she brought it back. All in all, even though this is the second time in a month she has been stranded by this fairly new car with only 14K miles on it...(the first time was a couple of weeks ago when the battery just died at the gas station) I am very happy with the two dealerships, and how hard they worked togehter to get her car fixed and to get her back on the road! :)
    Thanks for the post, Spooler! I knew about the power steering hose problem but wasn't sure if it applied to the SS. My sister's 3LT had the issue early on but she lives in a colder climate (which is supposed to accentuate the problem).

Speaking of having your car serviced at a different dealer than where it was purchased, I plan to have my car serviced at the purchasing dealer (which is over 500 miles from where I live) while I visit family for Christmas. As you can see in my earlier post, I'm totally frustrated with the level of service I receive locally. I have yet to try a dealership (locally) that isn't owned by the same company but figure I might as well get good service from a known good dealership while I'm in the area. I plan to schedule ahead of time and hopefully pre-arrange alternate transportation. My oldest sister just purchased a used 07 Impala LTZ from the same dealership making four total in the family and three purchased from that dealership. I look forward to quality service and praising them in the customer questionaire that follows the visit. ;) Hopefully things will work out the way I plan. Cross your fingers for me... :D
    Well, as luck would have it, my oldest sister just bought a used '07 Impala LTZ so I'll soon be able to compare mine with hers, head-to-head. I'll follow-up here once I do to pass along whether or not I hear the same thing with her stereo.

By the way, for what it's worth, I recently had my hearing tested extensively due to a tinnitus issue. Although I suspected I may have suffered some hearing loss during my time on the flight line, it turns out my hearing is nearly perfect and way above average. So, it's not me but I may actually be hearing things that some people just can't. We'll soon see...
    white6, I remembered that someone had posted about a retractable cord for connecting the MP3 player. It's post #1951 in this thread but here's what he suggested:

Zip Linq 3.5mm retractable audio cable

Just in case the link doesn't work, here's the text of it:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=8348

That might be a nice complement for the MP3 player. :)
  • hess5hess5 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 3.9 LT and most every time I shut the engine off, the water boiles in the recovery tank. The dealer says its normal. The heat gage is in the med. range. What do you think? Harry PS vehicle has 16K.
    Hi Ron,

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm sure they will take good care of you. It's a funny thing. I thought I would probably never use the local dealerships service department. ( I hate thier sales department!) But they took very good care of my wife. I wish the sales department could learn customer skills from the service department! If they could I would probably buy my next car from them. A lot of my friends think it's dumb I buy my cars from smaller dealerships. But many times I am dealing with the owner, who doesn't have to go back and forth between me and a Sales MGR. I also feel I get more money for my trades at a smaller dealership, and they seem to really care in their service departments. All in all I am glad our service visit turn out good this time.
    Please drive carefully on your trip, and us know how your service visit went.
    Wow, that is so totally slick! Thanks!
  • stuhrwstuhrw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Impala; it makes a clicking or ticking sound while idling. As soon as I accelerate, it's gone. It definitely a mechanical tick, as it is continuous and steady, almost like a fuel injector knock or something. I'm really not worried about it, as the vehicle is a lease; just want to make sure it won't leave me stranded on the highway until I turn it in.

I'm kind of disappointed in Chevy still. I've always been a chevy man, and simply got tired of fixing them. I switched over to Honda/Toyota and have never had any problems with those vehicles; Odyssey with 70K and Corolla with 136K....both vehicles never needed anything more than scheduled fluid changes/tires. I lease a brand new Impala, willing to give chevy another chance, and the thing is terrible. Clicks/pops/creaks/cracks/knocks/hose recall. I hear 2009 will be a "much improved" year, so maybe I'll give Chevy another chance then. I hate buying japanese, but I just can't take time off work to have repeated problems fixed.
    Stuhrw,
    Are you driving the 3.5L engine? There have been multiple references to ticking from that engine. By the sound of it, it may be normal although agreeably, not desirable.
    I have noticed considerable improvement in GM's products over recent years. I believe things will only get better for the foreseeable future. I love the way GM equips their cars and so far, have not had any major problems. Of course, some folks do have issues with theirs but I don't believe it's ony American makes that have issues although they may be SLIGHTLY more prevalent. However, there seem to be problems with certain Japanese makes as well. They just don't get as much exposure as American brands, IMO.

Good luck!
    I'm no mechanic, but if your temp gauge is mid range, and you aren't loosing coolant, (your coolant level is at the appropriate place in the recovery tank) and you don't smell hot coolant. I don't think I would worry about it too much. If it's bubbling it could be there is a little air in the system that needs to get purged out. What do other folks think?
  • danfraindanfrain Member Posts: 5
    stuhrw, I had a clicking/ticking noise just as you described, but I could hear it at slow speeds as well. Dealer's service "couldn't hear anything" when they checked it, but an independent ASE mechanic did and said it sounded like the blower fan to him. I'm going to have it checked again on mine at another dealer.
    Well, I had the opportunity to listen to my sister's Bose stereo this morning and, as luck would have it, it has the same dreaded hiss as mine. I didn't get to do a quick comparison, side-by-side, just yet as she was in a hurry to go somewhere but it's definitely there. When time allows, I'll jump back and forth between the two to verify that's it's exactly the same. I also want to test for sound quality between the two. In my car, there are certain tones that seem to really resonate and actually make it painful for me (personally) to listen to music at higher volumes. There are particular songs that do this so I'll be able to test exactly the same music in both cars. I may even use an MP3 player to remove any possible differences between the cars' players. I'll post back with my results.

For what it's worth, my sister wasn't able to hear the hiss. This leads me to believe it's an issue for those of us with exceptional hearing. I'm not bragging, just clarifying and as stated in my earlier post, I just had my hearing tested extensively and the results showed I have above average hearing and can hear things at extremely high frequencies...which is where that hiss is.

More to follow...
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    I have the Bose stereo option in my 2006 Impala 2LT. I find it to have great sound and wonderful sound quality. My only beef is that the rear parcel shelf vibrates with songs that have deep bass. Other than that I do not have any complaints. Nor do I experience any pain when listening to the stereo.

With regards to the "hiss", I have heard it in mine but only when starting the car or turning it off. I cannot hear the hiss during driving or while listening to music (radio, cd, or mp3/aux.)

This may be a shot in the dark, but what volume do you have your "tones" set at in the Driver Information Center (DIC)? The Impala uses the car's audio system to transmit tones (turn signal tone, etc.) Mine is set to low and the hiss is hardly audible (and only during initial start-up or when turning the car off). Perhaps if the tone volume is set to high, the hiss is more audible as a result? Just an idea.
    Wanda,
    If it is the blower fan, it would change frequency/rhythm when you set the fan at different speeds. Give that a try and see if the sound changes. If so, you've isolated the cause. If not, it's something other than the fan motor.
    You have the 3.5L, correct? If so, you're definitely not alone in hearing a tick in that engine. From what we've seen so far in this forum, it seems to be an annoyance more than a problem. However, I'm not discounting it. I know I would be VERY annoyed with such a sound.
    FWIW, I had a ticking sound in my '94 Mercury Cougar. Totally different car/manufacturer but I'm sharing because in that vehicle, it was actually the engine computer that was mounted behind the passenger side kick panel that was ticking. It turned out there was a circuit in it that was noisy but it was definitely the culprit. It wasn't a maintenance issue, just a quirk. I don't know if the Impala has a similar setup or not but this was an issue that surfaced after I replaced that computer. The original was silent...so this could possibly explain why some people are hearing it and others are not.

Have you come to a conclusion in your dispute with GM, BTW?

Thanks,
    Ron
    Ryster,
    I have my tones set to low. I have experimented with that setting, though. There is no difference in the level of the hiss with any change of any setting. I have posted in detail about this in the past but I'll give a quick summary:

If you want to test for the hiss, you can isolate in several ways. With the ignition and ventilation system off (to limit background noise), turn the ignition switch to on (the check engine light and other dash lights will be on) and engage the turn signal. You don't have to lock it in position, just move the lever enough to get your three flashes. You'll hear the tick/tock sound and after it completes, you'll hear the background hiss for an additional 1-2 seconds. You can also hear it if you turn your stereo to the lowest volume level and then one more detent to where it is muted (not the actual mute button). Turn the knob repeatedly from the lowest setting to silent, back and forth, and you'll hear the hiss alongside the nearly silent radio/CD/etc. With the ignition off but the keys in the ignition, open your door so that the key reminder chime sounds. Shut the door so that the chime stops and for that exact same 1-2 seconds, you'll hear the hiss. You can also do this with the hazard flashers...exact same 1-2 second hiss. I think that's every occurence but I could be wrong. The issue is DEFINITELY related to the Bose amp. It's not ALL Bose amps as my buddy's Nissan has absolutely no hiss and I've heard the same about other GM models. This appears to be defect in the Bose amp designed for the Impala. There also is no hiss in the lower level stereos.

I will mention one thing, though. Hearing it in my sister's car is a bit of a relief. Although the hiss is still there, at least now I know I'm not alone. So many others have stated they can't hear it but I wasn't sure if it was a limitation in their personal hearing or that there was actually a better amp out there. Having heard it in the '07 LTZ assures me it is a defect and that it wasn't corrected by the replacement amp or any concurrent releases. It's not the best answer but it helps. :sick: :)
    Any hiss that exists in the Bose system is not enough to distract me or diminish my enjoyment of the stereo. I have maybe heard it 3 times in the 18 months since I bought my Impala. Between road noise and the HVAC system, it just gets drowned out. Next to the Monsoon stereo option I had in a '99 Camaro, this Bose system is probably one of the best I have had in any of my cars/trucks.

My parents had a 2003 Impala LS with the premium stereo (no Bose back then) and they also would notice a hiss through the speakers at certain times. They always attributed it to the OnStar system since it would occur with the stereo turned off. It was especially noticeable with the car turned totally off after just getting in (it seemed to be initiated by opening a door). If you were to get into the car, shut the door, and just sit there for a minute or so the hiss would stop. The only things that would use the speakers with the stereo and ignition turned off would be the tones and the OnStar system. The hiss in their car wasn't obvious once you got going with the radio, HVAC system, and road noise.

I am not so sure I would go so far to say this is a defect. Especially since I have heard the hiss in a previous generation Impala with a premium, non-Bose stereo. It would be interesting to see if the hiss was still there on a Bose equipped Impala with the Bose amplifier temporarily disconnected. If it totally goes away, then I would agree it is related to the Bose amp. If it is still there, then it is definitely not a Bose issue and probably related to the DIC/BCM interface or the OnStar.
    Those are good points, Ryster. But, I have had the opportunity to listen to the stereo systems of the lower level options. We now have four Impalas in the family; three '06s and one '07. I have the Bose with six CD changer, my oldest sister has the Bose with single CD, my youngest sister has the upgraded (XM/MP3) stereo in hers, and her son has the base stereo (no XM/MP3). The two Bose systems have the hiss and the other two do not. Since the head unit is the same for my two sisters' stereos, that would point to the Bose amp since it's the differentiating factor. As for the sound not being annoying, I would agree that it is low enough to be drowned out by road noise/HVAC. But, if you like to listen to the stereo with the ignition off (as I do while taking a break from work or at a rest stop), then it is noticeable. While I would say it's not terrible, it is unacceptable for a premium sound system. Also, since I have heard my buddy's Nissan Bose system with absolutely NO hiss, I know it can be achieved.

As for my other complaint regarding certain tones being painfully loud, I haven't had the chance to test head to head with my sister's Bose system yet. However, I'm pretty sure it will sound the same. Regardless, I doubt I'll be able to convince a service rep that it is a problem since they say they can't even hear the hiss. Also, I learned while being evaluated for tinnitus treatment, that along with tinnitus, you are also prone to have certain tones/pitches cause discomfort. So, in this case, it may very well be me with the problem and not the stereo. Unfortunately for me, this system doesn't have an equalizer so I can't adjust it to suit me. In that regard, I just have to accept it although I will definitely be a much more discriminating shopper in the future. No more ASSUMING a premium sound system actually has premium sound. :) All that considered, I still agree that this sound system is better than the other options available in the Impala.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    On boxing day I noticed that my '06 LTZ was "bleeding" - red fluid on the garage floor. I hate seeing transmission fluid anywhere but on the dipstick (and I don't mean me LOL).

Took my car to the dealership the next day. Turns out both cooling lines running from the transmission to the radiator are leaking! Apparently they're some of the highest-pressure lines in the entire car. To make matters worse, GMPP (the GM extended warranty) doesn't cover anything called a "line"! My car is 3300km over the factory warranty (but only at 23 months owned). Needless to say I was not very happy when my Service Advisor told me that despite 3 calls to GMPP it would cost over $400 for the repairs.

Naturally I went straight to the Service Manager. His response? "Don't worry - we'll take care of it". Now that's the right answer! His reasoning? "You bought the car from us, you bought a full extended warranty, you bring it here for all service, you're barely over the factory warranty (and only on mileage, not on time), and you're always polite and respectful of everyone here regardless of how upset you are at any given situation."

Proves three things. 1) Be a loyal customer. 2) Always escalate problems. 3) Always be polite and respectful. If you do all these, the businesses you choose to spend your hard-earned money at will go out of their way to do the right thing, even if it means bending the rules.
    The stereo does have some preset equalizer settings under the EQ button. The manual also makes reference to being able to manually adjust the settings by pressing the EQ button until "Manual" appears on the display and then setting the stereo as desired. I haven't played with the EQ feature at all, so I am not sure how flexible it is.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Excellent lesson for New Year's, bh0001!

Enjoy your Impala!
    With the Bose system, you only have "Talk" and "Manual." Manual lets you adjust the Bass, Midrange, and Treble. But, when it comes to that certain tone that really gets to me, it's not affected by the levels that are adjustable. It's somewhere in the mid to high range of the scale. Again, I am willing to accept that THAT little quirk is more about me than the stereo although there has been one other person on here (not THIS particular thread) to complain of the same thing. It's alright, though. I'll know better next time when I'm shopping for a car. :)
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Could it be the Bose system on this vehicle just a "value" (or low cost) product line from Bose? Most GM head units now have internal DSP audio. So Autotone is given.

Apparently, they probably turned off this feature for Bose option (same head unit for Bose or non-Bose). To have decent Autotone, one needs more than just 3 bands (Bass, Treb and Mid range). Or may be Bose amp is so "advanced", one does not need it?

jt
  • axinutaxinut Member Posts: 11
    I have owned two different Corvettes with a Bose sytem in them, I was not impressed with either of them. My 03 Isuzu SUV had a much better radio that either of the Vettes. The radio I have in my "08 Impala is the base radio with the single CD set up. It sounds better than the Bose in my '01 Corvette. It is my understanding that Bose thinks we all hear with the same ear.
    I have a similar opinion of Bose. I've never been a big fan but ASSUMED that a premium system would at least meet some minimum performance standards. How wrong I was. :mad:
  • colfaircolfair Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this is a relatively simple question, I'm looking to buy an Impala SS but can anyone with experience of this model tell me which is the better car, the V8 DOD model or the earlier V6 supercharged model ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated