Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Maybe they option them different in the US. Don't know.

Not defending GM for not including them but side impact tests were good with out them on the 2005 so I would expect the same if not better for the 06. If side impact is 5 star with out them then I would say they are not really needed.

At least curtains are standard though, thats certainly more than Camry.
    Not much fun but you have a car to use so I'm not sure why you are inconvenienced.

I don't think you close to a point where you need a new car yet. A computer module is an easy thing to change.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I would not worry too much about your car. It will be fine.

GM's Oshawa plant builds great cars and the car should be fine once they fix the module. Better you caught it early rather than on a 500 mile trip.

:)
  • bigjaybigjay Member Posts: 26
    I took delivery of my 2006 Impala SS last Wednesday nite. Some initial impressions....

It's cool! It's comfortable, it's fast and the more I drive it, the more I like it. In short, I'm glad I bought it! I'm REALLY glad I didn't get the Ford 500! They are simply not equal cars.

We need to remember, the Impala is Chevy's answer to the Camry, Accord and Altima. It's interior is equal or better than the others, it's over all size is equal, etc., etc. However, when one shoe-horns in a small block V8, all bets are off.

With that little addition, the Impala is head and shoulders better than a lot of other (good) cars. Does it approach the relm of equality of the 300C? Honestly, now that I've had it a few days, I'd say: Yeah!

Admittedly, it not as fast perhaps, but it's so close, my "butt dyno" doesn't care! And, I'll concede, the Impala SS doesn't carry the same "bling" factor as a 300C, but maybe that's a good thing.

One odd observation though....

When driving at low speeds in city traffic, if left in 4th gear, the trans seems to wander a little. By driving the car in 3rd gear in city traffic, the trans seems to have more intuition about what to do. It runs smoother and the wandering sensation seems to go away.

However, from a dead hang, if one starts in 1st and shifts at 5,100 rpm intervals, the car turns into a budget priced rocket! It's reeal fuuuun!

Bottom line: I like it!
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    The mileage on the new Impala's? Where'd that 3.9 engine come from? I don't care much for the '99 Monte Carlo inspired front end on the new Impala but really like the rest of the car.
    We have a '00 Impala and I think its time to upgrade. Our '00 does real well on gas however, 30 miles on the highway running about 70....imagine what it would get at 55, guess I'll never know LOL.
    Any sites or reviews you guys can turn me on too would be appreciated!
  • jonaljonal Member Posts: 1
    I just joined this forum and of course today the gas prices are out of site. Anyway, some people have to commute a ridiculous amount of miles to go to work and put food on the table for their families? You know food ?- the human body's "fuel".

I am attempting to reply to the person who asked about the 45-50,000 miles per year question.
  • ljm43ljm43 Member Posts: 5
    I am inconvenienced because I am paying for a new car & not driving it plus the the radio & onstar are free for a certain amount of time & I am not using them. Plus the car that they gave us to rent is a two door & it doesn't have any of the frills that my 06 has. Today is a week that they have the car. They still haven't gotten the part so I have no idea when I will get it back. I know it could be worse, I just hope that this is the end of the problems & the car doesn't give me any more trouble.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    "We need to remember, the Impala is Chevy's answer to the Camry, Accord and Altima."

Thought that the Malibu fills that role. How about the 500, Maxima, Avalon and Azera. In that camp the 500 is pleasant but plain (sort of like the Impala, but with poorer engine choices), much better in the styling department (IMHO) than the Maxima (which I think is like the strangely ugly big sister to the great looking Altima), less sophisticated and more down scale (again IMO) than the Avalon or (probably) the Azera.

It is a great improvement over the earlier Impala, however, especially since the platform doesn't look all-new to me. I personally like the durability and gas mileage of the GM OHV engines--I have the 3.5 base engine in my Maxx, and it's nice to have a V8 in there if torque steer can be controlled.

BTW-- Why is this still listed under future vehicles?
  • bigjaybigjay Member Posts: 26
    Yes, the 2006 Impala was designed to compete with the Camry and Accord and Altima. Bob Lutz said that at the introduction of the new Impala and Monte Carlo at the LA Auto Show.

Also, check out this month's Car and Driver (The one with the new Z06 on the cover.) See page 72. There is an article talking about the new Impala. It retiterates the zero to 60 times at 5.7 secs and confirms who the competing cars are.

I'm not exactly sure who the Malibu is targeted at... I assume the Corolla and the Sentra.

As far as why we are still talking about future cars in this thread, I'm not sure. Maybe because the cars have just hit the showrooms so recently that these postings are the first waves of feedback to be posted...sort of hot off the press stuff.
    A good friend just bought a new Dakota pickup. On the drive home he noticed a bad vibration at about 70 (why he didn't take a more extensive test drive puzzles me). He immediately returned to the dealer and they said it was out of alignment. They aligned it and re-balanced the wheels. He left the dealer it still vibrated, not as bad, but it was still there. He took it back they gave him a loaner.
    A week later they called him, asked him to drive it and see what he thought. Although they replaced the axles etc. it still vibrated. They told him to go out on the lot and pick out another truck, which I thought was real decent of them. The one he picked out was $900 dollars more then the original truck but they let him have it for the same price, even though he bought the other one for "employee price"
    This has little to do with your problem just shows what a dealer can do if they want. As far as Onstar and XM, if this drags on too long they could/should make an adjustment and prolong the free period.
    Good Luck
    Congrats.. glad you like the new SS.
    Well, I guess a 2 door is not convenient but on the other sidce you are using miles up on another car and not yours. Hope you get your car back soon.
  • kodenamekodename Member Posts: 141
    I think if your over 40 this new V8 Impala SS with front wheel drive will be hard to love when compared to what the SS legend was built on. Like the HHR, it will capture only a few sales specially once it's no longer the focus of magazine covers. Sadly , the legend didn't live on, only the badges. When the Impala is referred to as a GM answer to Camry , well, that's just sad. Where's the Heritige in that?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    "I'm not exactly sure who the Malibu is targeted at... I assume the Corolla and the Sentra"

Then what about the Cobalt? The Azera and Avalon are better appointed than the Impala, so in that sense you could maybe say that they're aimed at the next level. The 500 aims directly at the Impala and the Fusion goes up against the Malibu. I came from a large compact (Elantra) to the Maxx and they don't compare at all and (I think) the Elantra is significantly larger than the Corolla and the Sentra in interior space. The Malibu (especially Maxx) and Sonata are both classified as large cars in the next EPA step above the Camcord, although I'm sure the Japanese competition will catch them when the new platforms come out.
    Could not disagree more. While your perception of the Impala may be as you describe, the REALITY is the Impala is a very capable competitor to the Camry. Better quality for 5 years running, more power and power options, more base power, similar quality interior, more room and competitive pricing.

The people who have a poor or biased view of American cars like yourself will be a tuff sell, but the truth be told, the Impala is more than capable of competing with Camry and I can't wait to see some comparisons in the moto mags.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Recently check out the Chevrolet website.......they offer two optional wheel styles, for the 2006 Impala. 1 for the LTZ and one for the SS. Kind of sporty!
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    More accessories for the 2006 SS from Chevrolet......1) SS instrument cluster face plate uses SS graphics with blue background and sport color within the gauge faces.........2) Brushed aluminum pedals for a sporty interior appearance. Now the car is starting to show what Super Sport should mean.
  • kodenamekodename Member Posts: 141
    Yes , I would be a very tuff sell.Malibu was the designated Camry fighter and of course it failed. When you have a better quality rating and a lower price and you still can't approch Camry's sales numbers or Camrys perception of quality, that's a big problem. The entire GM line up has just such a problem.GM is stuck with it's history of its very recent past and it'll take more than a positive review to get many people to open up their wallets to purchase any GM product. We more or less expect Camrys and Accords to look somewhat bland. GM has a big styling problem and Lutz hasn't been the solution. You can't build the Aztek , and expect it to not remain a reminder of GM's total lack of direction.GM has struck out too many times and too many of us are tired of GM invoking the Chicago Cubs Motto "Wait till next year" The 06 Impala looks too much like a first generation Intrepid. And the HHR is just another attempt by GM to pretend they are the styling leader, and it falls smack into the PT-me-too catagory. The Soltice has a lot of Fiero baggage it has to carry no mater what Bob Lutz has to say about it. The GTO looks like a Grand Am, and the G6 is a car known only to those who won one on Oprah. The Cobalt does not look like a new model , but rather a revised Cavalier with available bigger engines. This has largely been the GM/Bob Lutz solution...Bigger engines dropped into a revised chassis with little else to intice the buying public except "Employee discounts." 2006 will be a water shed year for GM, but not a good year. Wait and watch. Bill C.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The Impala looks like a first generation Intrepid? Not in my book, it doesn't. The first generation Intrepids were very distinctive and stood out from anything else on the market at the time. They also had cab forward styling that was very radical for its day.

I like the Impala for lots of other reasons, but styling isn't one of them. I would say, if anything, it looks very generic...certainly not like a first generation Intrepid (or any other Chrysler product).
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I do not see that in the 2006 Impala.

We checked them out this past saturday.

Not too bad of a car, although I will not buy a first year Impala after the engine cradle fiasco of our 2000 Impala LS

Tony
    Where to start...

Ok.. I will give you the HHR to some degree but... The Solstice is SOLD OUT for this year. Fiero baggage, ya right? GTO looks like a Grand Am? I guess if you are looking at the Pontiac grill only it does? Don't see any resemblance of the Intrepid in the Impala unless I blur my vision in which case all cars look like it. As for the Malibu, it has sold strong and growing numbers since it's release competing well with Camry?

Have you even sat in a 2006 Impala? Sounds to me like you are just doing a dump on GM.
  • shoeboxshoebox Member Posts: 4
    I should have kept my 96 SS
  • dghfdghf Member Posts: 1
    WHAT is going on here?! The Impala, the Impala SS - WHATEVER version/model - is HIDEOUS. It looks like a 2000 Accord with the front and the rear of a Cobalt. If you dont think to - then photoshop it. And the Malibu? Come on. I wouldnt drive one for free. And I'm unemployed at the moment. Whoever is on this site defending Chevy - the most awful looking cars around - They work for CHEVY.

PS: I just looked at an Impala 2005 - IT HAD BENCH SEATS. What is this 1978?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Whoever is on this site defending Chevy - the most awful looking cars around - They work for CHEVY.

Um... I think that's a ridiculous blanket statement. The reason there are so many different vehicles produced by a variety of manufacturers is that people have different wants & needs in a vehicle. Just because it's not your cup o' tea doesn't mean it won't suit someone else to a T. If bench seats don't blow your hair back, don't buy an Impala.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ssroadsidessroadside Member Posts: 1
    Love my 06' Impala SS! Just took delivery of one. Too few miles to rate it...less than 200, but this car handles extremely well and the SS is a head-turner. Yeah...I will defend GM Chevy, and better yet, I will buy them too, one every other year to be exact. Hondas don't do it for me and have owned them too. It's back-to-basics with this V-8 that SS was intended to have.
    I have seen 2 SS Impalas on the road and they do turn my head for sure. LS/LTs probably won't have quite the same effect.

No the Impala is not the most exciting car on the road but it's meant to be a bread and butter sedan, that's what the masses want (hence the success of Accord, Malibu, Camry and Altima). Pontiac Grand Prix is the excitement model if you want more pizazz.

Congrats "ssroadside" on the new Impala.
    It's about time for us to move this discussion to its permanent home on the Sedans board. If you're subscribed to the discussion or have it bookmarked, nothing will change for you. If not, now's a good time to do so.

You can always locate the discussion using the handy search features at the left. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Please update your e-mail address in your profile to a valid address per our membership agreement. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• altis_jdsaltis_jds Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove the 2006 impala LTZ. Bench seats are optional, and for those who are completely ignorant, the primary reason they make front bench seats is for taxi cabs to be able to seat more. You can get the bucket seats with floor shifter.

Anyways. Ive never been crazy for american cars. At all. But this new impala is such an improvement over previous generations, in terms of quality. I dont even know where to start, but just go see for yourself. There are still things I do not like about this car, of course, and I am still considering the Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, although that one is getting outdated as well. Its getting to be almost a hard decision between the two. Whooda thunk I'd ever be this close to buying a Chevy.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I prefer bench seats. I checked the LTZ pricing and found the bench seats are an option with the leather package. Does not sound like they're meant for a taxi. That's good news to me. When I car shop again, it'll be for bench seats.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Bench seats are also good for large families or for the ability to carry more people in a car when needed. I personally do not like them, but they give the Impala a market not served by many cars anymore.

How did you find the power / acceleration of the 3.9L in the LTZ? Did the car have the wood trim or the satin alloy finish inside?
  • typhon1991typhon1991 Member Posts: 64
    I have sold Impala's since they came back out in 2000. The Impala is one of the few vehicles you can buy with a bench seat. Most of the people who buy them are older people who are used to the gear shifter on the column not on the floor. A lot of people who have arthritis in the hands have a problem pushing in the brake/shift interlock button on a floor mounted shifter. Yes you can seat 6 people but it would be tight.

altis_jds is right. The new Impala is nothing like the previous model. You have to see it and drive it to believe it. I had a customer come in last week in his Durango who was a DIE HARD Mopar fan.They had just come from the Dodge Dealer His wife made him come in and he wanted to see what Chevy had to compete with the new Charger (very skeptical and snide) Test drove the SS . Long story short came back with eyes like a kid in a candy store. Ordered a SS will be here in 3 weeks. :)
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    "Whoever is on this site defending Chevy - the most awful looking cars around - They work for CHEVY."

Wow man. I mean i have problem with the Impala too but i don't think you would be playing the same tune had it been a toyota or honda.

The impala exterrior will defenantly grow on people. I saw one for far it was not an SS. It looks kinda meaty in person. More so than the avalon.

I believe this is how it works:

the cobalt is the corola figher (beater)
    the malibu is the camry fighter
    the Impala is the Avalon fighter

The impala and the avalon are TOTALLY different cars but they are in the same class and in many trim levels the same price. Impala does cost less, since the avalon is from 26-33K.

The avaon does come close to the imlas HP, but tthe interrior is just too much better than the impala and chevy may loose out on that one. would it really cost that much to put some on that wood-looking trim on the door panels, meybe where the window swiches are? And what about a NAV system? I am not even talking about HID/XENON lights.

Ford is closer to the avalon in many respoects with the Five Hundred, and will soon be in the league with hp too. They could also have done a bit better with the interrior but its better than the Impala. they also added a Nav system for 2006. Thats a good move.

I think overall GM has a very good car on its hands. Let see if in subsequent model years GM can improve feature content and interrior materials some more.
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    One thing that always surprises me on reviews is the lack of attention to the rear sear.

I tested several different trim level Impalas. Both bench and bucket were great.

What stands out in my mind is that Chevy made the 2006 model larger on the outside and took 1 inch of legroom away in the rear. With the front seats all the way back, I found it difficult to get out of the back seat.

For a family sedan, the Impala does not provide enough room in the back seat for adults.

I would be surprised if very many of you who drove the car, actually got in and out of the back seat more than once.

Did anyone else find the rear seat cramped?

If you call the Impala a mid size Chevy, what would you call a full size Chevy?
    What would I call a full sized Chevy?

Well I had a 00 Impala LS.

I call my full sized Chevy a Ford Five Hundred! :)
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    Yes the 500 has a large backseat, I did think it was very firm. But at least my feet fit in the back footwell. However, the 500's front footwell does feel small to me. You just can't please me.

On the plus side, the 500 like the Impala, I can read the radio in bright light. The Accord LX, Camry LE and Sonata GLS radio displays are completely useless in bright light. I really don't under stand the cheap LCD displays on cars.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Is going to loose whatever police business it had if there is no room in the rear seat. That is so stupid! Alot of their business came from fleet/police sales. And now chrysler (read German auto company) is introducing v6 and hemi v8 cargers for polics duty!?

I talked to a few cops, they hated the "new" 2000 - 2005 impalas. One of the reasons is they said it was small. If this new one really has less rear leg room, and that very important for cops, they might as well start buying German cars.

I don't think ford is too interested to sell police versions of its Five hundred but thats just me :D

Still like the car, this is just not very encouraging. I thought automakers were trying to find out how to maximise interrior room while minimising exterrior bulk. Go figure.
    I've been in the backseat of a Ford Crown Vic police car(the largest cop car made) and there wasn't much room in it either (though I don't believe my comfort was of paramount concern).
    As far as the Ford 500, while it's designed with "stadium" seating, I believe it has less room in the front, by a very small amount then the Taurus.
    Looked at a new SS today....pretty sweeet though wheels looked cheap.
    All about the mileage now in my old age though. Anybody drove one with the new 3.5? I see it has 11 more hp then my '00 Impala 3.8. My '00 gets 30 mpg in TOWN! Yes, really.

still can't get over that '99 vintage Monte Carlo front end though like the rest of the car.....even with it's Malibu rearend
    I dunno if ya spec it out with the rear spoiler and in the right color I think it'll have the same effect. Saw an SS sitting beside an LT today and IMHO the LT actually looked better. The LT's wheel looked more upscale and I liked the chrome on the back.
    Ya, I like the LT alloys better than the LTZ. Unfortunately you can't get 17" wheels on the LT though, I love big wheels.

You are right though, a loaded up LT would be pretty close to looking like an LTZ.
    06 Impala vs 500

Impala/500 (source chevy.com and ford.com)

Shoulder 58.6 / 57.6
    Hip 57.2 / 53.7
    Leg 37.6 / 41.3

Impala is about 3.7 inches short on leg room but has more shoulder and hip room. Of course even a base Impala has more power than the 500 and way better mileage so its a bit of give and take.

:P
    But GM's AWD on the Impala is woefully lacking...
    >But GM's AWD on the Impala is woefully lacking...

What does that mean?

My AWD on my many cars since 1981 has been great.

>But GM's AWD on the Impala is woefully lacking...

What does that mean?

My AWD on my many cars since 1981 has been great.

AWD is a waste of gas and money for most people. Unless you live way north or in rural areas with lots of snow, I don't see much point in it. Of course companies like Subaru will have you believe that you need it in Arizona. It's a nice to have for sure though.
    AWD sounds nice but for most people in Ohio region if they can't get out with front wheel drive, they're not going to want to try to get through with AWD. If the snow is bad enough where they are occasionally, they probably have a larger, most capable vehicle that doesn't get good mileage but does great for snow weather driving.

Living in the Toronto area now and having lived in rural Ontario with many snowy days I can tell you I have never been stuck or had much trouble getting around in the winter in a regular FWD sedan. Maybe we are better prepared (and have more plows) for snow than some places in the U.S., but I would never bother with an AWD unless I lived in a very bad rural snow belt area. Even then, I'm not sure.

ABS and traction control on the other hand..
    Pick a good tread that has bite to it, save the extra money and repair on the AWD, drive intelligently, don't try to be a 4WD pickup truck with mud tires and go through anything, you'll be okay.

Friend was buying a Pacifica. He lives down a steep grade--even the salt trucks skid down the hill when salting and then work their way back up (it's a dead end street). I convinced him the mileage loss, extra parts, additional cost of car wasn't worth the return. If it's too bad, they stay home till the salt trucks have cleared the grade.

Impala doesn't need AWD just because "everybody else is doing it," --sounds like my teenager.

• merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I much prefer a bench...With the column shirt,you do get an at least visual impression that you aren't as cramped.

but accorping to Chevy's website,the Malibu has more rear seat leg room...To me,this is the crucial dimension...more meaningful than hip/shoulder room with only one or two in back...

I think I'm more interested in the malibu...
    Good winter tires go a long way during the snowy and icey months no doubt. Very few people buy / use them though. Living in the city, I stick with all seasons. Never had a problem even in a storm. That said, insurance companies are starting to discount if you use winter rubber.