Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    If you want the BEST rear leg room, get a Malibu Maxx.

Rear seat can be moved back and forth like the front. Very cool. Maxximum leg room.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    ..looks to be very handy(and practical),but the rear skyroof turned me off-Too much of a headroom weaster...
  • daavadaava Member Posts: 1
    2006 Chevy Impala LS - has OnStar and I would like to add XM. Can I add on an aftermarket receiver so XM will work with the existing sound system. The XM will work through On-Star. Help, I do not want to have to buy a separate receiver. :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons- /emo_confused.gif
    confuse
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Have to go thru the radio to reset everything in the Impala, the change oil, low tire warning lights etc etc....what a dumb set-up that was/is
    I like the rear sky light, very cool and unique feature.

Lots to like about the Maxx. The hatch features gives you a lot of flexibility also. Still like the Impala better over all though.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    This isn't a normal sunroof. There's no loss of head room as the glass is fixed.
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    I see so many posts on these boards regarding snow traction. Let me dispell something. I live in an extremely snowy and very hilly place (Duluth, Minnesota) and I've never seen anywhere else in the country where there's such a combination of ice and snow and loooooooong winters and very steep hills. I have two vehicles: a FWD GM sedan and a 4WD Suburban. I've got off-road tires on the suburban. In 4wd it will go ANYWHERE. In rear-wheel drive mode only it is pretty poor, even with top-grade tires. On my FWD car, I put Blizzak snowtires on it in winter and it is also nearly unstoppable -- I drive with snow pushing over my hood sometimes, and it still keeps going. Bottom line: a front drive car with good tires will get anyone through just about any weather. I can drag-race 4WD trucks that have mediocre tires and beat 'em with my front drive car in the snow. RWD sucks in the snow, basically (I've driven every kind of car). 4WD is great if you really do off-roading (which I do) or tow.( But, it doesn't stop you any faster!)
    The most important thing for snow traction is tires.
    The two things that have stopped me from getting some good snow tires has been cost and storage space. I have no where to keep winter tires. They are great for winter though.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    there seems to be a lot trim around the fixed glass...It was brushing against me head. Does the Malibu sedan seem roomier than the Impala to anyone else?
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Chevrolet announced that the very early 2006 Impalas June/July have a obtrusive lumbar support in the front seats......Impalas manufactured from August onward have had the lumbar re-engineered for a more comfortable front back support in the front seats.
    Interesting. Wonder if the people complaining about the seats in reviews are driving early cars or August + cars?

Hopefully the new seats are better than what some reviewers are complaining about, seating is important to me.
    This information was from James Healey from a Nashville newspaper who did a test drive of the new Impalas......his information came from GM regarding the lumbar problem. Its based on early complaints. I read a first test report from a husband/wife team that tests cars. They drove a 2006 Impala SS for several hundred miles around Michigan over all types of roads. She also indicated on a long drive she had to put a towel behind her because of the backache from the drivers seat back. I don't know what stability control is but its suppose to be on the 2008 Impalas, according to James Healey. Regarding the lumbar problem, its good to see that GM is fixing problems as they arise. Before they would wait until the next model year........or not at all. Many road test reports of the new Impala seem to favor the LTZ as a better all round package then the LS or the SS. It offers a smoother ride and the power is more then sufficient. The husband/wife team (car testers) complained that the loud exhaust from the SS on a long highway drive was annoying. I will wait until more reports come in before I decide to buy.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “The husband/wife team (car testers) complained that the loud exhaust from the SS on a long highway drive was annoying.”

I find this very surprising.

I drive a GXP. While not identical, I expect that much of the system is very similar – and if anything, I expect that the GXP’s is louder.

The exhaust on my GXP is quite noticeable almost everywhere ** EXCEPT ** at cruising speeds on the highway. Then, it is virtually indistinguishable from \ blends in with the general background noise at 60 MPH or higher. My hearing is (still) quite acute \ sensitive, and I do not find the highway noise level in any way objectionable or annoying.

Perhaps I will have to drive an SS . . .

- Ray
    Quite curious, now . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    The report was Sept 14th by Paul & Anita Lienert. They have been testing cars for a few years.........he gave the 206 Impala SS car 4 out of 5.....she gave it a 3 out of 5. Her words regarding the exhaust from the SS......."LOUD EXHAUST WEARS ON NERVES AFTER SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES"

One interesting complaint was when the front door windows were down the glass rattled. I hope thats not a built in problem with all the Impalas.

Overall they liked the car but they gave their pros and cons. During their several hundred mile trip they averaged 19 mpg.....they thought it should have been higher. Paul believed the car overall was a very good choice compared to the competition.
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    one very important aspect (no pun intended) of snow tires is the width. definitely get narrower tires if possible, especially when comparing them to a "performance" size that is considerably wider than needed in the snow. foccusing the weight on a smaller contact patch makes all the difference in the nasty stuff.
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    couple of points: a 300 hp all aluminum small block in fwd with a gm 4 speed automatic...there will be very little that will get away from you at a stop light...oh, by the way, it's the fastest SS produced to this date....not too shabby...and i had a 64 impala SS...back in 64.

the size of the impala is akin to the avalon, not the camry...
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    NONONO! thats the Malibu's job.

This one is sized more like an avalon!
  • gm2005gm2005 Member Posts: 5
    I was looking at a picture of the Chevrolet SS, a concept car, and it dawned on me. GM should have used the front end on the SS, and pasted it on to the 06 Impala. Obviously, make the car four door and make it longer. But the SS front has the look of aggressiveness that we have come to expect from an Impala.

Go here to see what I'm talking about:
    Chevrolet SS front styling
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    I have driven and compared the 2006 Impala, 2006 Sonata, 2006 Altima, 2005 Camry, 2006 Malibu.

From my memory, the Camry, Altima and Malibu have more rear legroom than the Impala. The Avalon has much more rear leg room than all the others mentioned.

The Sonata and Impala are about the same interior size, Impala exterior is just longer.

I have no idea what the Malibu should be compared against. While the Malibu has good legroom, front & rear, it is a noticeably narrower car than anything else in the mid size class. Against the Camry, it would never win on size.

Buying a car in this class comes down to personal preference, not size.
    http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/2006/chevrolet/impala/

Unfortunately you can not build one yet, the 05 info is still in there.
  • ljm43ljm43 Member Posts: 5
    Well it is more than three weeks & I still don't have my car back. It is becoming a huge problem. They put in a new module & still had a problem now they have taken out the alarm. They still aren't sure the problem is fixed. They want us to take the car but we can't. It is the only car we have & can't afford to get stuck with it...plus who wants a brand new car with spliced wires??? & no alarm!!! We are supposed to have a meeting with the regional sales manager this week. We will see what happens. Is there any info out there about putting in alarms on the new 06? It is a good possibility that the alarm is what has caused this whole mess in the first place.
  • jrrtfjrrtf Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the top speed of the 2006 Impala SS is? I have brought it up to 138 but have not toped it out.
    Hopefully you weren't doing that in a school zone.

;)
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Yes. Anything installed aftermarket CAN cause troubles, alarm systems often do. As for spliced wires in a new car: when they installed your alarm, they spliced some wires. I understand you are aggravated with the dealer having your car this long, however, they are dealing with basically an all-new vehicle. It's different than the last Impala.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Well, he wasn't in the school zone for long! :blush:
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I recently decided to take a 2006 Impala LTZ for a test drive. The car was black with the stainless steel look interior. It had a power moon roof and was pretty loaded.

First off, the car felt solid. My 2004 Grand Prix feels good also, but this car felt even better. Power was noticeable stronger though maybe not as much more I though it would be. Handling seemed similar to my GP GT.

The interior was clean and well assembled. The car is very conservative to look at both inside and out so you can see Camry and Accord were in mind as competitors. I guess at least GM has some size and available power on the competition.

Over all I was impressed. I think anyone looking for a midsize car should check out the new Impala. I never cared for the old one but I think you would be foolish to skip the new one if you are shopping around.
    The 3.9L would be my choice I think. Nice compromise between the base and V8 with above average power and features.
  • rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone leased a new 06? I would be interested to hear what sort of residual you were quoted. GM is starting to make cars that deserve a look, but the potential of catastrophically poor resale keeps me from pulling the trigger.
    I don't beleive residual has much to do with quality. It has more to do with supply and demand.....with roughly 40% of Impalas (100,000 + per year) going to fleet that are then dumped on the resale market after 1 or 2 years that is what I believe that drives the residual value of these cars down. Used car lots are full of 04s and 05 Impalas now.

On the other hand a great value/selection for anyone looking for a used 06 Impala in a year or two.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    ...but only if fleets keep buying Impalas! :)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    On buying a "fleet" car from a rental company:

For those of you who care about such things, two '06 Impalas I saw on a dealer's lot, destined for rental, showed a "delete" option for side airbags. Who says rental companies care about our safety? Now that side airbags are standard, the rental companies, to save a couple of bucks, take them out!

Same thing on the Dodge Charger. I saw two rental versions where they deleted the otherwise standard (on the '06 Charger) ABS and stability control, and swampped a 2.7 engine (for the stock 3.5) which isn't even available to the public on the Charger.

I can't say all rental companies are doing this, and I don't know which to which fleet the cars I saw where headed, but ask to see the Moroni (manufacturer's) sticker before buying from a rental car company. Stuff you thought was standard, may be missing!
    Chevrolets website shows a large variety of vehicles available for Fleet. Including the Impala LS right to the SS......others available for FLEET.....Malibu, Malibu Maxx, Cobalt, Monte Carlo Corvette, SSR etc.......plus light and medium duty trucks.....an Enterprise car leasing company not far from me has several new Impalas and Cobalts on their lot.
    Impalas will go to fleets but that said, I can see the % going to fleets falling as this is a much better car. Fleets like them cause they are reliable and priced right. Camrys have plenty of fleet vehicles also but not to the same extent as GM.
    I don't see what quality has to do with fleets..Generally speaking most American car lines have bettered their quality in the past 2 years. Chrysler 300, Ford five hundred, etc. not just Chevrolet...(correct me if I am wrong) I believe fleets cater to vehicles available in large numbers at a great price that satisfies their requirements for small, midsize and large cars for their clients for a year or two. If quality was the issue then more expensive cars would be going to fleets. I don't see that in large numbers......also Chevrolet has lowered their vehicle prices for 2006 which makes them even more attractive to fleets in large numbers. Most of the car rental companies around where I live have always catered to more basic cars such as Chevrolets, Fords and Chrysler models. Sure they offer other makes, but not in numbers like the American cars, but for that past few years, every year over 4 out of 10 Impalas went to fleets. I don't see that number changing unless GM doesn't make fleet vehicle pricing as attractive as in the past.

Residual value of a vehicle is very important and the american public knows this. A life cycle of a car from when purchased new until it is sold again as a second hand vehicle --residual value is very important for new car purchasers. Its not very good when I see 3 year old Toyota Corollas selling for more then 3 year old Impalas & LS models that cost thousands more when new. Thats why a lot of people look at Cam/cords when purchasing, because they know down the road their vehicle investment will be worth more at trade in time. Do this 7 or 8 times in a lifetime and you are looking at 10s of thousands $$ in higher residuals that go into the consumers pockets. For just the sake of brand loyalty is fast disappearing. The educated consumer is where it is at today.
  • obriend21obriend21 Member Posts: 12
    Went to the local dealer this weekend just to look and came away very impressed with the new Impala. I was looking at the 1LT version which had the 3.5L V6, head-curtain airbags, dual climate control, bucket seats, OnStar, and flip-and-fold rear seat. The MSRP was only $22,000. This for a large car that looks very well put together (tight panel gaps, rich-looking though hard interior plastic, silky chrome-ringed controls) and rides/handles very well. The V6 gets great mileage as well (21/31). The only options I would add would be ABS ($600) and a sunroof ($900). Even the wheel covers looked good, so much so that I would probably save the cash and not get alloys.

I think GM will do very well with this car - I think it's a great value, so much so that it now at the top of my list for our next car (also considering Accord and G6 4 bangers, possibly Saturn Aura if base price is reasonable).
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    >Residual value of a vehicle is very important and the american public knows this.

Perhaps for those who only keep their car 2 years and then trade... or are always so upside down on a loan they shouldn't have taken out in the first place...

I keep my cars for up to 10 years now. I replace one about every 5 years. I want a car with quality in the build and endurance in the quality of parts. I don't need engine sludge, I don't need body pops, brake problems, rattles, etc. I buy what I know will serve my needs safely and comfortably. I drove the HoToys when I last shopped as I do every time and found them not as good as what I purchased. Perhaps others buy the previous year's experience as what will happen with this year's model, but I don't buy stocks that way and I don't buy cars that way.

The Accord I drove popped, bounced, rattled, and was rough riding. Enough for me without the obnoxious attitude of the salesman (and the dealership in general) that I should be happen he let me think about buying their product.

Cars need to be judged based on NOW.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

My post was not what you or I like or drive......the post was about residual values for FLEET cars......and their are thousands bought and sold every year........owning a car today for 10 years is the exception not the rule......(but thats your personal choice)

I believe the 06 Impala is better in most catagories then the 00-05 models, and it looks a bit fresher but so it should be to stay competitive. I just wish the exterior was a bit more exciting on the SS model as most car testers have reported. Bland is a word that pops up at every test. Motor Trend, Car and Driver and several newspapers and independant car journalists just check the internet.

"The Accord you drove popped, bounced, rattles and was rough riding" that again is just ONE observation...Their are also people on this forum that have had problems already with their 2006 Impalas....but that again is a very small sampling..Look at the REAL picture, the BIG picture! .considering the millions of these cars Honda/Cords sold, overall customers have been happy with their products or they wouldn't keep making these cars #1 & #2 in sales year after year whether they are bland or not. Overall they have a solid reputation, and the millions of consumers of these products are the judges to that.

I have driven only Chevys for over 36 years, but never afraid to voice positive or negative comments about the product. Things would never improve if everyone was happy all the time with their cars/trucks.
    Buying a low mileage American used car every few years as you do is a great oportunity to purchase these cars at a low residual value. Its a buyers market for used GM cars at a great price. I was considering buying a new 2006 Impala SS but I believe I will wait until the end of 2007 and buy a 1 year old 2007 SS as thousands come on the market. By then they will have a few of the bugs worked out and a low mileage 1 year old SS will save me $8-$10 thousand. With that savings I could purchase an extended warranty if needed, and invest the rest as I wish. Great opportunities for those that wait!
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Why would the police care how much room is in the back seat? They don't sit in the back only the criminals who get arrested sit in the back and who would care how comfortable they are anyway. Maybe the police should order limos so there will be more rear leg room.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    How may a Canadian GM strike effect Impala production?
  • ljm43ljm43 Member Posts: 5
    I wish that we had waited & not bought the 2006 SS now. We are still having problems. The car was in the shop for 23 days & we had it back for 4 days & it stalled twice!!! It is in the shop AGAIN. I don't understand how this happens. We really wish we waited but we really loved the way the car looked & yes drove when it is working. It really is a beautiful car too bad we are driving a rented car more than our 2006. We are totally disgusted & just don't know what to do anymore.
    If a GM strike occurs in Canada it will halt ALL Impala/Monte Carlo production.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Time to research the lemon laws in your state.

I went through a similar experience with my first 2004 Pontiac GTO. The car spent 20 days in the shop in the first month, due to an improperly-assembled firewall, and the repair attempts caused many other issues with the vehicle. After 35 days in the shop in the first 2 1/2 months of ownership, and multiple dialogs with GM Executive Relations, plus inside Pontiac contacts, I got GM to exchange the car (which took almost 2 months to accomplish - those 4 1/2 months were a complete nightmare, so I know exactly what you are going through).

My email address is in my profile if you've got any questions about this process.

--Robert
    Things are looking up at this point and it looks like a strike may be avoided (according to local news)
    If you only keep cars for 2 or 3 years you should be leasing. No doubt Camry's have better resale. It's not all because of fleet sales though, Toyota doesn't discount as much. Heavy discounting kills re-sale. If you compare price paid (rather than MSRP) to re-sale, Impala is not that bad.

I keep my cars 7-8 years. After that amount of time, re-sale is not that important as the margin narrows substantially.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    If you have a small backseat the perps knees are closer to your front seat or that protector, so its dangerous. I really don't know what goes on in police cars (knocking on wood) but I'm just saying what i was told from a conversation with a few cops. They liked the ford CV better. BTW, in europe the cops prefer the CV to the mercedes they drive, but then again the car is too big for that market, or should i say too taxed.

The rear legroom in the 2006 (lack thereof) just plain suck IMO. I hope GM can sell the car on its many good features, though.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    Legroom in Impalas must be okay and safe. Our local police have used them for years. We get a few city criminals who wander out here thinking the nice bedroom suburban community is too dumb to know what they're doing and bam they are arrested and given transportation to local station and then back to the main jail in the city from whence they came.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    I drove the Impala for a 3rd time.

What makes getting out of the Impala's backseat difficult is the lack of space under the front seats for the rear seat passenger's feet. The 2006 Accord has this same problem. The Camry and the Sonata do not have this problem.

Impala's small side mirrors are really a hindrance. In my area, I would be the only one who this bothers since most drivers don't look or signal to change lanes.

The large C pillar and high rear deck provide a nice blind spot / obstructed view. This is one flaw that is hard to overlook. Similar to the poor view out of the Charger.

After driving the Camry, Accord, Impala, Charger, 500 and Sonata, I would say the Sonata was the car easiest to live with.

I am still waiting on the Chevy dealer to get an Impala with a 3.9L. The SS was a fun drive but not economical enough.

What I have learned is that I really need about an hour behind the wheel to find the good and bad.

Next car to look at before purchase is the Ford Fusion.