Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    The first two things I noticed when testing out the 2006 Impala.....the exterior mirrors are about 30% smaller then the 00-05 cars and the leg-foot room has shrunk some as well. At the back of the front seats down near the back floor there are two bolsters or seat back material on each driver and passenger seats. When I sat in the back of a 2006 SS and LTZ I scraped my foot getting in and out on these. These pieces of material are not present on the 00-05 Impalas.
  • jayj320jayj320 Member Posts: 1
    What is the artist/song used in the current Chevy Impala TV ad?
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    Sorry to hear about your problems. It sounds like you may have bought a lemon. However, I got a chance to test drive a black one last Monday when I brought my son's '98 LTZ in for a tune-up. I met the sales manager and we started talking about muscle cars. He mentioned that 2 new Impala SS (s) had just arrived and asked if I wanted to test drive one of them. I said YES. To make a long story short, I was very impressed with its performance EXCEPT for the tremendous torque-steer at launch. I mistakenly stomped on it at a traffic light and almost veered into the opposite lane. Fortunately I was able to control the beast, and narrowly miss hitting an SUV head-on. I told the sales manager about it, and he said he'd tell the other guys to warn prospective buyers about this problem. We both agreed the car needs some getting used to (it's not for your average retired grandfather or grandmother). Getting back to the launch sequence at the light, I must have left about 10 feet of rubber before backing off on the pedal. The car is definitely worthy of muscle car status. Chevy claims a 0-60 time of 5.7 seconds and I won't disagree. It was definitely faster than my '98 Regal GS (smaller SC pulley), but not quite as fast as the '06 GTO I recently test drove. However, it was comfortable inside, with nice leather seats and a very large sun roof. I thought the instrument cluster was fairly easy to see, but the radio controls were a bit complicated. The exhaust sound is awesome. Sounds like the GTO. Anyway, I thought I'd share my experience.
    You shouldn't have to put up with that bs. Tell the dealer you want a replacment SS while they're working on your car. I'll bet they get off their *sses real fast and get to the root of your car's problem. I suggest asking your dealer if they've checked out the DOD system? I think I read somewhere that faulty DOD sensors can cause stalling. As you know, the system deactivates 4 of the cylinders at crusing speeds to save fuel, but can cause stalling if not working properly. Also, please read my previous post regarding my test drive of a black '06 Impala SS. Have you also experienced severe torque-steer when mashing the pedal? Unfortunately, the salesman I dealt with said Chevy has no plans of going to FWD, which would solve the problem. They should at least say something about torque-steer in their owners manual. Or better yet, put a sticker on the driver's visor to warn owners of it. Anyway, I hope your Chevy dealer solves your problem.
    I saw this very funny video at this site while looking for information on DOD vehicles:

http://suvcitythefilm.com/Pages/largeqtmov.html
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    Here in Houston, the inventory at all the Chevy dealers combined the 05 Impalas have gone done from about 100 to 90 in September. Can't tell the number of 06 Impala sold. Looks like no one wants the 05's anymore. Has anyone seen how well the 06 are selling nationally?
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    We've been out shopping for a new car this week, and settled on a new LTZ yesterday. Some of the cars we checked out were the Nissan Maxima...overpriced, Toyota Avalon...Butt Ugly, Buick Lacrosse CSX...didn't like interior, and Pontiac G6...a neat kids car. The GM dealer sold all brands, and after looking at some of the pricier models, he showed us this beautiful Glacier Blue LTZ. For the wife, it was love at first sight. We test drove a SS, and I quickly wrote that off because of the torque steer, and I'm not convinced that this DOD technology is going to be long-term reliable. The LTZ has more than enough power to keep us happy, and the first 150 miles are showing 27.6 MPG...mostly rural roads, and our small town. If that holds up, or improves, we will be quite satisfied. For the price, this thing is loaded, and compares favorably to cars costing $5,000 more. When I saw the tire pressure monitor, that was the final decision maker. If it is as reliable as our last Chevy....one minor repair in 3 years, and 28K miles, it should be a winner. When the deal was done, and the check was signed, I thanked the salesman for showing us this car, as our next cars to check on were the Cadillac STS, and Lincoln LS.
  • drat19drat19 Member Posts: 28
    I also drove home my new '06 Impala LTZ yesterday. Had my heart set on an '06 Hyundai Sonata after test driving it a few weeks back, but they haven't got the XM radio available yet (not 'til sometime next year), nor an easy way to add iPod input, and both are integral parts of my driving experience. With Hyundai's sharp but highly integrated dash I didn't want to be tearing it open for a third-party add-on. Plan B was an '06 Impala; I had an '03 Impala LS which I loved that got destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

I also passed on the SS because I didn't want to be beta-testing first year of DOD, and I knew the LTZ with the 3.9L/242hp would be plenty enough. Got mine almost literally off the delivery truck, and had to drive 200 miles to get it - all cars are selling like hotcakes this part of the country because of so many Katrina-destroyed cars, and the '06 Impalas are among the fastest movers. Got my preferred color of Superior Blue...sharp!

Bose stereo with the mix-n-match presets RULES (where has this feature been all our lives??), and gotta love the front aux input for an iPod.

Mine has the gray leather interior, and the alloy-look dash instead of the woodgrain. The woodgrain would have been fine, but the alloy-look applique is really clean and sporty. I'm also really impressed with the versatile back seat fold/storage - nice touch! And the remote starting with automatic A/C-heat compensation based on ambient conditions is a nifty whiz-bang feature which I've already grown to enjoy even after a day - it's 90+ degrees here this week.

The tranny was a little bit touchy on the low end when I first drove it off the lot (at 8 miles on the odo), but this smoothed out after a few more miles of break-in. No issue with it now. Highway cruising is a pleasure...effortless taking it up to around 80. Front-seat comfort in both driver and passenger positions is excellent.

On the minor nits side: Despite what other reviewers have said, back seat leg room is sorely lacking if you have your front seats anywhere close to all the way back (which is the case for me at 6'3"), but if you're also like me and don't expect to carry passengers in the back very often, this is a non-issue. It's something to factor in, though. The Sonata clearly has more rear-seat legroom than the Impala, even with the front seats pushed all the way back. Why is it the Japanese and Koreans seem to know how to solve this problem, and the Americans don't?

Same story on the bagel spare tire...why no full-size spare, with all the other good features this car DOES have? Again, the Asians have this one figured out.

All in all, though, I expect to be another '06 Impala satisfied customer.

-Dave R. in Biloxi, MS
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Wow, lost car is no fun. Hope you home was still there?

We have friends in Diamondhead and they are lucky (and they know it), their home was ok.

Congrats on the new car.
    Appreciate the kind wishes. Nope, lost house too. House "still there", but after 6+ ft of water, uninhabitable. Staying at another family member's house until ready to make next move.

-Dave R. in Biloxi, MS
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    how does the 3.9L behave? Is it powerful?

When is GM gonna add a Nav to this thing?
    My personal opinion is that the 3.9L V6 is plenty zippy. I gave it a highway workout this weekend and when I came upon a group of 18-wheelers, just a little nudge on the gas was enough to punch me past the group with no effort and no worries. It's a smooth power plant, IMHO.
    Doubt you will see a NAV. You never know but it's really an expensive toy for most people and that's not what Chevy is about. I have seen some nice portable systems for $200-300, I would sooner buy one of those than spend $1000 on an in dash system that you can use in one car only.
    My initial impression of the 3.9 engine is quite favorable. It has more than enough power at 242HP, is smooth as butter, and is getting great fuel mileage right out of the box. We only have about 500 miles on the LTZ so far, but we took it up to Kansas City over the weekend to show the kids, and it did great. I won't try to punch it until I get a couple of thousand miles on it, but just a slight nudge on the gas pedal brings it to life quickly. After doing some serious car shopping in the past couple of weeks, I am convinced that for the money, these LTZ's are one of the better car values out there.
    As for NAV...call me old-fashioned, but I cannot see a use for these things other than being an overpriced toy. If one can follow the big green signs on the highway, they shouldn't get lost. A NAV might be a help driving in a strange city, but so is a $3 map. Besides, I would think that these things would be a bigger distraction than cell phones in traffic. Even at todays prices, $1200 will buy a lot of gas.
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    After reading this review I would agree with most everything covered.

Note the picture of the C pillar looking back. That is a big obstruction.

Review

I did not think that the Impala was any quieter than the Sonata on my brick test road. But, the Impala was much quieter than the Accord.
    you posted commented on this cars styling.

I just don't get it. This is a nice looking car. I have seen a few on the road and they are just fine. Not every car is supposed to be in your face. This one is inbetween the five hundred and the 300C, in other words its fine. I do wish GM put a real Grille into this car, but the bland styling is true mostly in pictures.

I think this car will sell just fine. Its real problem is rear leg room, not style.
    Sales for September 2006 Impala.............18,600.....
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    I remember reading, probably in Car&Driver, when the Malibu came out, that GM was going to carry a particular design theme through the Chevrolet brand. That theme was a broad, horizontal, brushed metal band across the front end. You see it on the Malibu and on almost all the Chevy trucks and SUV's. Though I can't say it was a brilliant theme, it was a nice concept. Not a hint of it on any Impala I've seen (though there is a band across the back end). If anyone from GM is listening, hey guys, what's the matter? Loose interest already? Or just forget?
    That is well over 200K on an annual basis.

:)

No the Imapla is not the most exciting car but look at #1 and #2 (Camry and Accord). Dull - o - rama. Impala is no worse.
    exiting than Camry and Accord!
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Does Camry and Accord offer a V8? Nope. The Impala is clean and nice to look at. My Grand Prix is more exciting to look at and offers the same V8 if you need more excitement.

I suspect even the 3.9L Impala may be able to out run V6 Camry and Accord even with only a 4 speed.
    Results of 0-60 times for 2006 Police cars (smooth top police vehicles) tested at Michigan Police testing grounds a few weeks ago.

2006 Police Dodge Charger 5.7 ..........0-60 6.52 seconds
    " " Dodge Magnum 5.7 0-60 6.55 seconds
    Dodge Charger 3.5 0-60 N/A
    " Chevrolet Impala 3.9 0-60 8.83 seconds
    " Ford CV 4.6 0-60 8.93 seconds

The Police Impala lowered its 0-60 times by 4/10s of a second from the 3.8 2005 model. 9.24 seconds.....

The new Dodge Charger & Magnum had impressive stops from 60-0.....(deceleration) beating the rest of the competition in braking. Dodge Charger 5.7 ungoverned top speed was 150mph......the Impala (ungoverned) 142 mph. Not sure what their governed top speed will be. A governed/or ungoverned top speed over 129 mph will require very expensive tires that have much stronger side walls to handle the speed.

The 00-05 Smooth roof Police Impalas had a governed top speed of 126 mph.....but with roof lights and spotlights attached 113-116 mph was their top end. Many police officers complain of being out run by Neons and Corollas when chasing with a Police Impala.

The rest of the results of these tests will become available at the end of October.
    Fuel mileage, road course speed......0-100mph. etc.
    beat out the rest of the V8's with fuel economy. That could be one of its strongest selling points.

Why does chevy not choose to offer the V8 impala for police duty alongside the v6???

I just don't get it.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Looked at 2 LS's. No ABS. Not impressed with Goodyear Integrity tires, a step down from the Eagle GA's. They need to get some new colors, too. I'll wait a year til they get the bugs out and get an 07.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Is the 06 a revision or a new Impala?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

From what I can see the "06 is totally new. One of our daughters has an '05, and about the only things in common between her car and our '06 LTZ is the bowtie badge, and the Onstar. Both are quite good cars, but the styling on the '06 is far better...IMO. The old 3.8 engine has been one of the best engines to come out of Detroit...insofar as reliability, etc. Hopefully, this 3.9 will carry on that tradition.
    "Once again, GM playing "catch up" not "trailblazer" (ironic since they make one of those :P ). And in the end, it's a revision for 2006, not a redesign. The Ford Explorer got as many or more updates than the Impala this year, but we won't be getting one of those for the long-term fleet either."

editor_karl, "Karl's Daily Log Book" #2085, 6 Oct 2005 8:10 pm

This link is to a discussion about which cars Edmunds should do a long term test on. The editor called the car a redesign --not new.

• batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    This 06 Impala with the 3.9L performs horribly. It beats the 3.8L by only 0.4 sec.
    A 05 3.0L Honda Accord which has the same hp as the 06 Impala with the 3.9L can kick its [non-permissible content removed]. The Accord goes to 60 in 7.0 sec and sure the Police Version probably weighs more but still that's a lot of time difference.
    GM should dump the 4 speed transmission because it is hurting the performance as Charts has shown.
    If I replace my 01 Impala 3.8L I would definitely not get the 3.9L. Only V8 for me.
    06 is not all new, it sits on the same platform. Interior and exterior + engines are new though!
    will replace the 4 speed, i think within the next year, probably latest by 2008, they are using the new transmission co developped with ford, on the new Tahoe and Yukon.

you are absolutley right, the 4 speed hurts performance. It is a bulletproof transmission, though. That is more than anyone can say of honda.

The honda bieng faster is also due to its smaller size and weight. It is in a different class of car.
    I heard that Honda has found a way to improve the reliability of their transmission failure prone trucks and cars: they're putting a spare transmission in the trunk. Can't get better than the ingenuity of those foreign companies at building reliable cars, right!

• fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Does anyone here have the new 2006 Impala and how do they like it? Please advise which engine you have. I am particularly interested in the base 6(3.6) engine. Thanks
    Base engine is a 3.5L rated at 211hp. It's slightly differnet and newer than the 3.5L in the Malibu / G6. Good engine from what have read, I think all the owners here have 3.9s and V8s. I tested only the 3.9L.
    I have heard there is a 6-speed on the way. I thought it was next year though?
    meybe,

The only problem is, that the new 6 speed in the taho and GMC, while having the tap up tap down shifting, i heard its by buttons on the shifter. That sucks. They are making it like in the malibu. How many people in the Malibu use this feature? Its a waste of money unless they make it tap up / tap down. This way its fun and exiting to change gears.

I really hope GM does it like they did in their G6, with the tap up tap down operation.

Also, i heard on the SUV's, that the 6 speed transmission has 2 overdrive gears. Can someone please explain what this is and if it helps/hurts the parts involved?

I though all transmissions had 1 overdrive gear for emergencies. Thanks.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “Also, i heard on the SUV's, that the 6 speed transmission has 2 overdrive gears. Can someone please explain what this is and if it helps/hurts the parts involved?

I though all transmissions had 1 overdrive gear for emergencies.”

The current (just becoming available on the 2006 C6 Corvette and will be in the 2006 Caddy STS-v) 6 speed automatic trans. for GM rear wheel drive vehicles has 2 overdrive ratios. And no ‘direct’ (1:1) ratio. I believe that this is the same trans. being used in some GM 2006 SUVs.

Most 4 or 5 speed automatics that I have seen (and \ or owned) have 1 overdrive and 1 ‘direct’ ratio. Most 5 speed manuals that I have seen have 1 OD gear – and most 6 speeds have 2.

In the case of overdrive ratios in a street vehicle, the intent is (almost) always to provide reduced noise & wear at cruise – and to achieve better highway fuel mileage.

I am aware of no case where the overdrive ratio(s) have anything to do with ‘emergencies’. But I am willing to learn.

Anyone?

- Ray
    No trans. engineer, but . .

Transmission General Specifications
    Name 6L80
    RPO Code MYC

1st Gear Ratio 4.027
    2nd Gear Ratio 2.364
    3rd Gear Ratio 1.532
    4th Gear Ratio 1.152
    5th Gear Ratio 0.852
    6th Gear Ratio 0.667
    Reverse Ratio 3.064

Current STS V8 automatic trans ratios:
    3.42, 2.21, 1.60, 1.00, 0.76
    2022 X3 M40i
    More results......2005 Michigan state police test of 2006 vehicles:

0-80 mph Charger 3.5 14.6 seconds..(Hemi) 10.8 seconds....Impala 14.3 Ford 14.4

0-100 MPH..... Dodge Charger 3.5 24.6 seconds....HEMI CHARGER 16.5 seconds......Impala 3.9 23.6 seconds......Ford CV 24.1 seconds.....

Braking test (both) CHARGERS 60-0 mph 130 feet
    IMPALA 60-0 mph 151 feet (terrible!!)
    FORD CV 60-0 mph 143 feet

I thought the 2006, 3.9 Impala would have done better with all the tests

The RWD Chargers and Fords are several hundred pounds heavier then the Impala. I thought that the 06 Impala would have faired better in the braking test

The 00-05 Police Impala did much better with the braking tests then this current model.....Braking carries a lot of weight in the testing results of these vehicles. Police departments that read these results often base their purchases on this testing.... 151 feet for the Impala could mean the difference of stopping in time or an accident.....a few years back when the Intrepid was tested the front brakes caught on fire....very few police Intrepids were sold as a result.
    I see no indication from GM that they are using any 6 speed automatics in their SUVs. I see 4Lxx, and 5Lxx indications here:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/r_cars/truck%20eng%20trans.html

The 2 page review that I see in the current MT specifically refers to a 4 speed automatic in the Trailblazer SS. Not 5 or 6 speeds . .??

Where have you seen indications that GM SUVs will have a 6 speed automatic?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Knowing that Ford & Mercury have released their 4.6L V8 with 6 speed automatic, but . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    "a few years back when the Intrepid was tested the front brakes caught on fire....very few police Intrepids were sold as a result. "

But officer, I was only (speeding away) trying to avoid being consumed by the flames erupting from the front of your vehicle!

- Ray
    Unable to resist . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    My understanding was that the new 6 speed coming to the FWD cars of GM were only capable of handling up to 250 hp.......that would leave out the Impala SS and Grand Prix 5.3......and other GM cars above 250 hp.
    The new 6 speed (manual) available on the G6 3.9L:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/Spec Sheets/Transmissions/2006 M- anuals/2006%20F40%20(MT2).pdf
    2022 X3 M40i
    We bought an '06 LTZ a couple of weeks ago. We haven't had it long enough to really wring it out, but so far it is an excellent car. The ride and handling are great, it has plenty of power with the 3.9 engine, and it is a very quiet car on the highway. The Bose radio is great, and the fit and finish are all first rate. The first 2 tanks of gas are showing 27.6 MPG...75% highway...and the engine/transmission are smooth as butter. The seats are quite comfortable, and the power adjustments allow good position for both of us...the wife is only 5'1". We also like the dual climate controls, since Momma is always chilly, and I'm roasting. If you are looking at the base models, I would recomment that you check out the LTZ. There are very few options on the LTZ...leather, sunroof and 6 disk CD, and by the time you add any real options to the more inexpensive models, you are very near the price of an LTZ. I think the jury is still out on these DOD V8's. That idea has been tried before, and resulted in some major repair/reliability issues. I'll pop in here from time to time, and pass on any real world experiences we have with this car.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I think the jury is still out on these DOD V8's. That idea has been tried before, and resulted in some major repair/reliability issues

You are right that it was tried before, but that was in the early 80's. I think it's safe to say that computing technology has improved significantly in the last 25 years... and the current GM DoD was developed at least 3-4 years ago and tested significantly - why it's taken so long for these engines to come to market...

--Robert
    “I see no indication from GM that they are using any 6 speed automatics in their SUVs.” – me

I now see that the ** 2007 ** ( ! ? ! ? ) GM SUV information recently released does show that the largest (6.2L) V8 will receive a version of the 6L80 six speed automatic.

In any case, this is a RWD only trans. and will not fit the FWD Impala SS or my GP GXP.

I’d love to see a six speed automatic released for the V8 versions of these cars, but it looks unlikely in the near future.

- Ray
    Quite content with 4 forward speeds and great steaming piles of torque . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • mikalmikal Member Posts: 3
    Ford's new fusion will have the new 6-speed developed by ford and gm.why doesn't
    chevy have access to this tranny?the 07 tahoe/yukon will be out early next year,I
    think they will have new tranny.the pics of the new interior are very nice.
    Not sure that Ford's 6-speed is from the GM/Ford JV. It may be a 3rd party tranny.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Great power, decent ride, adequate sound deadening, good brake modulation, responsive tranny, nicely weighted steering.
    Dislikes:
    Tiny mirrors, low-rent gauge cluster, flat seats, obvious "torque management" on heavy-throttle 1-2 shift, tight back seat.
    Overall, a HUGE improvement over 05 Impala, but not what I would call a home-run. It will be considered when we replace the wifes' Olds Intrigue this time next year.
    BTW, the 6-speed auto in the Fusion is the same tranny that Mazda starting installing in the Mazda6 last year. It is not the new joint-venture 6-speed auto.
    I thought it was too soon for the GM / Ford trannies.

Mite want to try a 3.9L instead of the V8. That will solve the torque steer issues. You will also find new seats in later manufactured Impalas.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I didn't mention torque steer, cause I felt it was dealt with pretty well. Nothing like the 1996 STS I drove several years ago; that sucker changed lanes all by itself! The car we drove had been on the lot less than two weeks; did they change the seat design in these cars already?
    The first 5 week run of the new Impalas had a faulty lumbar support in the drivers seat.....Impalas manufactured from August 1 onward have this problem rectified. Early purhasers were complaining of uncomfortable drivers seat (back) on long drives.