Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What's your reason for buying a Hybrid?

Comments

• Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Micael_Mattox,

I understand Lexus costs, I currently own two, in addtion to a Toyota and a Honda. And compared to the Avalon and the Accord the costs on the Lexuses are very high; it is realtive. To give you an example my mirror got broken by flying debris on the highway and had to be replaced; it cost $900. That is expensive. First year maintenance on the Accord was $24 that is a little bit more cost effective than $600-$800 per year on your Lexus.

Actually your brakes shouldn't have gone out at 35K miles, that is very low mileage to have brakes fail. and the brakes on all Lexus are disc brakes , there are no drum brakes. If pads on disvc brakes are not replaced in time or you have repeated heavy braking sometimes the rotors will warp because they heat up. The first time this happens the rotors can usually be turned; Maybe that is what you had done.

Yes Lexus are relaible and rarely have mechanical breakdowns, but the same can be said for Toyotas and Hondas and for that fact most cars that are maintained on a regular schedule.

My origianl point is that most people woon't buy a Lexus hybrid to save money, because as you substantiated the yearly maintnenace costs will exceed the potentail gas savings which I still contend is the main reason people by hybrids.

That leaves the "green factor". I would agree a Lexus hybrid owner is probably environmentally concerned.

YMMV,

MidCow
  • Options
    falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    If you think of the logic, a Lexus should be no more expensive to repair than a Toyota. A Lexus is merely a Toyota with extra cream. Same for the Honda/Acura duo. There are specialty shops that fix foreign cars and that's where I took my Lexus when I owned one. It was a very inexpensive three year ownership. No need to go to the dealer for parts when they're discounted online. Same holds true for German iron as well. Caveat emptor.
  • Options
    falconone said:

"There are specialty shops that fix foreign cars and that's where I took my Lexus when I owned one. It was a very inexpensive three year ownership. "

H'mm, but it was under warranty for 4 yrs 50,000 miles so no part cost. Yes you could save on oil changes, mainenace items, etc at a non-Lexus dealer.

H'mm one wonders why you are buying a Prius instead of another "inexpensive three year ownership" Lexus.

The Lexus 400h is "green" and would be my choice over a Prius.

Again, I think the Prius is a great car or would be a great car if it only had a 6-speed manual shift transmission.

I am going to the Lexus dog-and-pony show this weekend. The new Lexus IS250 comes with a 6-speed. The only thing I don't lioke about my 2002 IS 300 5-speed is that it is geared for luxury driver ( you don't have to shiht anywhere from 40 to highway speed becuase it is geared low at 22 miles per thousand rpm; it really needed a higher 6th gear).

While the Lexus might be a Toyota with extra cream it is called a Toyota everywhere but US same with Acura being called a Honda. All I know is that free Lexus service loaner cars really costs you a lot in the price of service.

If one thinks the break-even is long on a non-luxury hybrid ( example Prius) it is even longer on a luxury hybrid ( example 400h). I think the real reason people buy the luxury hybrids is to make a "green" environmental statement.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    You spent the first few paragraphs telling me how available diesel is and then finished telling me how to make the biodiesel in my GARAGE....

What that tells me is that the old stink pot Diesels can get fuel but the new cleaner burning Biodiesel is NOT readily available...JUST AS I SAID.
  • Options
    There is no Lexus avail. that costs 26.7k, otherwise I'd consider. The RH/RX is so ubiquitous around here, it's so BORING. The Prius is still a rare breed around these parts. I have no need for a 6 speed. Most people 90% in the US opt for autos. The CVT is really cool!! No shift shock, better throttle response, no hunting going uphills etc.

I am getting a Prius because no Lexus comes close to 50mpg on the highway. Though my ownership experience of the Lexus was wonderful, I was very bored with the RX after 3 yrs. I will always be loyal to the Asian brands as my ownership experience with them has always been great. My German owning experience has not been bad, but they are much fussier with maint etc.
    Oh..Midnight... you never answered my question... what mileage does your accord get at a steady 80mph on the freeway? I have gotten low 40's with light wind @80mph in a 04 Prius. Imagine cruisin' @ 80 and getting 40+..... COOOL!!!

12 weeks or so for my Prius!! Can't wait!
  • Options
    First year maintance on my LEXUS was not 800 or 600...It was an couple of Oil Changes....

You are right it is Expensive to get them Serviced...but it is worth it ...In the long run to have it done right..I will note the 6-800 is the 'AVG. since I have owned the car...I have had rear brakes...A radar/laser unit replaced when it was hit by a rock...And the headlight washer repaired after I damaged the tube by running up on a curb....I also had The transmission fluid changed...Add in the oil changes and That is it.

P.S on the Laser/radar unit it is now protected by a piece of 1/4 in. Lexan Works great It cost little to have a windshield place put it on for me with industrial two sided tape. Will be happy to tell anyone how it is done if you are interested...Cost $20 Bucks....The Laser/radar unit costs $2000....
  • Options
    As you have discovered I am not mechanical...The Lexus dealer told me they always turn the WHATEVER...because to get the max out of the car they want them perfect...The tell me this stuff..I listen...ask a question or two...They insist...I write check.

When you think about it...The Lexus dealer is a lot like a WIFE...
  • Options
    COWBOY:

Not true about the Lexus name being only in the US.....They are now opening LEXUS dealerships in JAPAN...Has been going on for a Year now.....

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about Lexus....P.S. It is true that the New features that go into Lexus has first been tested on production Toyota's in Japan....Another part of the reason LEXUS it the most reliable mass produced car in the WORLD...

P.S. As a point of interest...All Lexus LS are made in a single plant in Japan...It is totally made by Robots...A total of 60 Employees work in the plant...
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    cheap maintenance: You cant' really compare an old clunker's maintenance with a modern car and what it costs to run one. An old clunker can be nursed along with all kinds of maladies and sub-standard parts because it is simple in design and easy to fix

LEXUS PRIUS? -- I think any luxury hybrid would have to be very transparent in its operation to the driver/owner.

BIODIESEL -- does your neighbor know that putting biodiesel in his fairly new Benz voids his warranty?
  • Options
    I thought bio diesel was being condoned by the manufactuers. At least VW, not sure about MB.
  • Options
    maxamigomaxamigo Member Posts: 72
    "Many of us were wondering what was up with the CR tests that showed low mpg on hybrids in the city cycle."

They've always printed that way for years... It's little things as such, that makes me think folks don't know what they are doing, and as a result, their comments shouldn't be taken seriously and without qualification, on every topic. Just because it is in print, it does not mean it's right. I let my subscription ran out since 2001.

They're trying to make a living by selling magazines. They pretend to be Watchdog over people, but they have no watchdog over them.

Sorry, Host. That's my last comment about CR on Hybrids.
  • Options
    Yes you're right that VW allows biodiesel but I wouldn't say they are recommending it. I suppose 'condones' is more like "tolerates it".

Benz doesn't allow it. Use biodiesel, it's your engine not theirs anymore. Maybe this policy will change I dunno.

Making your own fuel is I'm sure great fun for the whole family but I don't see this as a practical alternative for most Americans or an argument for any significant energy saving policy for an entire country.

Besides, supply and demand will kick in at some point....if everybody goes in search of used restaurant oil, guess what will happen to the price/value of used cooking oils?
  • Options
    "If you have a long commute, highway or city, the Prius could very well be the vehicle for you."

May I suggest to add on a leather seat that pampers you. That would be awesome!
  • Options
    "$800 a year isn't cheap"

I do my own oil change and maintenance. That way I get to monitor the car myself. The oil filter is not visible, but it is in front of the engine, behind the fans. You can reach down and feel it. It does have a nice drip guide so oil won't get on the engine when you take the filter off.

Aside from such work, I'd like to think that a luxury car shouldn't be taken in every so often. The ideal cars of quality are those where you just change oil and filters, and never having to take it in during the warranty period. May be that's unrealistic.

As for the Prius, we've never have any problem with the workmanship that requires a costly trip to the dealer.
  • Options
    abraxas1abraxas1 Member Posts: 7
    I drive a 2002 Land Rover Disco. It gets about 12 MPG, but I only fill up twice a month. I just find it funny, that Hybrids were developed to help with the global warming issues, but that is not the reason why everyone here is running out and purchasing them. That it all revolves around the mighty $$. If you think it will save you money you do it. It costs me about 1200$ a year for gas. Though you all are willing to pay about 3-6000$ more for a hybrid over their non-hybrid models. Just feel people need to re-think the process when researching Hybrids.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Not that all this hasn't been interesting, but talk of biodiesel and Land Rovers and all that doesn't have much to do with the subject at hand.

Let's swing back to reasons for buying a hybrid. Thanks!
  • Options
    The Disco costs much more than any of the hybrid sedans out there. It also consumes 4 times as much fuel. So let me get this straight... I buy a Prius loaded to the gills, it's LESS money than a Disco, and gets 4X the mileage. Are you using the new math?
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The new diesels have enissions controls on them and have no worse smell than many new gasoline vehicles. It's been a long time sine GM's fiasco of the 70s.

My point was that you could easily convert the car as it became more available - all the way to running vegetable oil in it with about $1000 in mods to the engine. Or running diesel - the tri-fuel option would certainly be better for the environment than most other options. That is, if you really want to save the planet instead of appear as a yuppie statement.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Check the title please. Let's get back to reasons for buying a hybrid.
  • Options
    abra:

FEW PEOPLE drive only 5000 miles a year...We bought our hybrid because my wife is one of those green people ....we bought in March before the big run ups in gas prices.

The additional price for a hybrid is about 3000 minus the Fed write off....We bought the car because is saves gas for you to use in your 12 MPG Land Rover. The money saved is OK at current Gas prices it will take us 3 Years to recoup the extra $3000...
  • Options
    Why buy diesel...It is my understanding you can get a special gas tank that allows you to use ANY fuel in your car...Diesel, Gas, Bio, anything....I believe the army has used such vehicles for years...

Maybe a Hybrid Diesel would make sense?...If they can put a hybrid motor in a 4000 lb LS....They could probably do it in a lighter VW...Or Mercedes for that matter.
  • Options
    Falconone,

Accord gets around 27.1 mpg at a steady 80 mph on relatively flat highway. As you know the square of the wind velocity causes drag on every vehicle hybrid or not, but you 40+ at 80 is great! At steady 65 mpg I get 32-33 mpg. I get a little higher, but haven't been able to measure 55 mph or go that slow for very long ( that even slows down the rightmost lane). I can get my best mileage at around 40 mph , running about 1,300 rpm in 6th gear.

Yes, I am one of the rare 10% , but I understand the way the GEARS in the planetary CVT on the Prius HSD system are with the MG1, MG2, and drive shaft all participating doesn't make a maual shift feasible.

And yes the CVT would be the way to go in an automatic, you could always stay in the sweet part of the torque cureve!

Hope you enjoy your Prius!

Cheers,

MidCow
  • Options
    spideyspidey Member Posts: 12
    For me, it was a spur of the moment decision. I had a 2005 MINI Cooper S with Steptronic automatic transmission. The car was a great performer. The problem is living in Los Angeles, where you don't have too many chances to really allow a car to open up. Also, according to the MINI's trip computer, I was averaging about 17 MPG from the day I brought it home until the day I sold it.

I saw the 2006 Honda Civic in pictures and thought it was okay. Then I saw it in person, and fell in love. I put a $500 deposit on a Magnetic Pearl Hybrid w/Nav...and haven't looked back.

I love the idea of being able to use the HOV lanes driving solo here in California with certain Hybrids, the Civic being one. I love the idea of doubling my gas mileage. I love the idea of a Nav unit. I love the idea of a car that can seat four comfortably. I love the idea of thinking I'm doing something to aid the environment.
  • Options
    That's excellent mileage. I guess that 6th gear is quite tall to achieve those good mileage numbers. Hondas usually are quite thrifty with their mileage from what I can see. At least we know that you're not using a cell phone and drinking a venti vanilla latte with that 6 speed!! ;)
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    LA Times article on the Honda Civic Hybrid

"Pull out your calculators. Let's say I was interested in a 2006 Honda Civic — because, well, I am — and I was debating between the sedan and the hybrid. With a navigation system, the hybrid costs $23,350; a similarly equipped Civic EX sedan costs $20,560. The hybrid premium equals $2,790.

The combined fuel economy of the non-hybrid is 35 mpg; the hybrid, 50 mpg, a theoretical difference of 15 mpg. In five years of average driving (15,000 miles per year), I would save 643 gallons, or $1,929 (assuming a gas price of $3 per gallon), with the hybrid. Combined with the current tax deduction (a savings of $580 in my tax bracket) I recoup 90% of the hybrid premium in five years. If I were to buy the Honda Civic hybrid in January 2006, the numbers look even better. The federal tax deduction becomes a credit worth $2,100. Combined with my fuel savings I actually come out about $1,200 ahead."

Now, put your calculators away, because the point is not whether I, or you, will recoup penny-for-penny the hybrid investment, since the compensations are not exclusively monetary. The hybrid haters actually have a valid point when they declaim the technology as touchy-feely. Its appeal is emotional, but that's not the same as irrational.

The reason hybrid cars are flying off dealers' lots is not because they make such a galvanizing financial brief. It's because people of goodwill, conservative and liberal, are growing weary of the moral calculus of gasoline. What people are learning is that private choices have public consequences. Sure, I'll make my money back, but the more important thing is the 643 gallons of liquid crack I will save. Now that's conservative.

http://tinyurl.com/78dv3
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    hear, hear.. well written and accurate... a press article that gets it..

kdhspyder
  • Options
    Well yes and no. Shorterm he gets it, longterm, not so good----conservation cannot solve America's future energy problems or even slow them down IMO. Do the math here---We use 25% of the earth's fossil fuels and we own only 3% of them. So we have to buy what we don't own, and being a finite resource, it will cost more and more as it gets scarcer. And we use more and more every year regardless, at least so far.

I have no idea how you go from 25% to 3%, but it's not happening from improving gas mileage 25%. It won't even make a dent in our energy needs longterm nor will it, IMO, lower the cost of energy in the future--again, because we don't control the sources.

However, the article does have one very valid point---good reason to buy a hybrid? --hybrids on a large scale can improve things environmentally, which can translate into economic benefit.

This would be, for me, the only logical motivation should I choose to buy one.
  • Options
    katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    Well said larsb, we are financing repressive governments in the middle east with each oil and gas purchase and the average person there is well aware of it. Conserving fuel and driving a hybrid is what i can do now as my small part in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    >Do the math here---We use 25% of the earth's fossil fuels and we own only 3% of them. So we have to buy what we don't own, and being a finite resource, it will cost more and more as it gets scarcer. And we use more and more every year regardless, at least so far.

Good point. I wasnt aware of that discrepancy in purchase vs ownership but it makes sense. Every step helps tho no matter how small. Hell revolutions have started by throwing tea in the water or refusing to give up a seat on a bus.

But I am still a skeptic. No matter how efficient we eventually become in using fossil fuel to move us about I see the price of oil accelerating just as fast as consumption goes down. Why? Is Big Oil just going to sit by an let us, the puny consumers, drive them out of business? Not likely. If we succeed in getting everyone into a Hybrid and cutting consumption by 50% I'd see the price of oil/gas/fuel going up by 100% or more to compensate.

Big Oil's main goal, correctly in a free market, is to maximize consumption and profit for its shareholders. It's a business. It should be a responsible free marketer but that's a characteristic not a main goal.

With this scenario the faster the conversion to more efficient usage happens then the faster fuel goes up and the BIGGER the penalty becomes for less efficient vehicles which then fuels a quicker conversion to more efficient vehicles. Now the snowball is really moving. If fuel goes to $4/gal.. or $5/gal.. Yikes :D

Fuel for thought so to speak.

kdhspyder
  • Options
    That's my point. There are none other your ego. A hybrid as it stands, especially the Pruis, is no savings at all when you factor in the extra cost(basically a wash), and the batteries in it tip the balance against it when you consider the chemicals and metals in them.

You should just buy a 40-45mpg normal vehicle.

If you want to get that 25% down to 5-10%, it's simple - biodiesel. Even converting our commercial fleets and semis to run on the stuff would save billions in foriegn oil costs.(let alone the angst and wars and so on)

Nothing else will - because every other technology requires nasty chemicals, expensive and toxic catalysts, is unsafe in a crash, or takes more energy to produce the fuel than you gain back. Only diesel will work - because you get a 3:1 return on your energy costs when producing most oils. And it requires nothing to be imported.
  • Options
    There are virtually no diesel choices in this country for consumers. They are BANNED in five states! Hybrids are here to stay and a wonderful alternative. People are embracing the technology and I have one on order.
  • Options
    beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    IMO - hybrids alone won't really reduce that 25% very much....but that number would get a LOT closer to 3% if (1) cities and towns stopped allowing builders to construct residential houses with more than 3,500 - 4,000 sq ft, (2) everyone put in new, energy efficient windowns and doors in their houses and had their heating system serviced every year, and (3) people in and around cities walked or rode bikes more, considering over half of the trips people take in their cars are less than 5 miles [where fuel use is most inefficient and where hybrids really don't help all that much].

All that can be accomplished for less than the premium for most hybrids AND we'd end this country's obesity problem. If people really want to do their part, it can't stop at just buying a hybrid.
  • Options
    Hybrids will have minimal if any impact at all. The people that get them (including me) will reap the benefits of having a reliable vehicle with great gas mileage with super low emissions. If I were not getting the Prius, I would have been purchasing an Infiniti M35x so I ended up saving money!!
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Big Oil's main goal, correctly in a free market, is to maximize consumption and profit for its shareholders. It's a business. It should be a responsible free marketer but that's a characteristic not a main goal.

Your post is a very good view of reality. Hybrids may benefit the few that purchase them. It will have very little impact on the price of fuel. More than likely it will raise gas prices and highway taxes to keep the status quo.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    What happened to the companies who made a ton of money on Horses and Carriages back in the 1700s/1800s? They either went out of business or found another way to make money.

Same thing for the Railroad Barons of the 1800s/1900s - they lost business to the cars and trucks when the highway system was built, and they either merged and created a smaller, more efficient company or went out of business.

That is the eventual destiny of the "Big Oil" companies too. When fossil fuel no longer is in sufficient supply, they will be FORCED to spend money on alternative energy sources and find ways to make money again, or they will go out of business.

Hybrids WILL eventually, far more than they do today, cut into consumption. When higher gas prices and more hybrids on the road combine with the current trend of people DUMPING SUVs, consumption will go down as inevitably as the decline of our oil supply. :D
  • Options
    Very good point. It will be interesting to see how well the Camry hybrid is embraced. I have a feeling it will do VERY well. Companies have to adapt as evidenced by the telephone companies. Now they're branching out to VoIP, broadband etc. The oil companies will have to do the same.
  • Options
    There is another aspect of buying a hybrid, a reason that may fall in Hybrid’s court:

Let’s assume the background is this: hybrid costs more than its comparable ICE cousin at $5k-$10k at purchase, but the savings in gas only amounts to $1,000/yr. So it takes awhile to break even (ignoring Uncle Sam’s incentives).

From the stand point of a small business owner who depends on a vehicle to run his/her business and racks up a lot of miles doing so, it makes financial sense to go with a hybrid because the actual cost of the hybrid can always be DEFERRED somewhat into the future, by way of a car loan spreading over 3-6 years. This means you don’t pay the whole cost immediate, only a small portion of it from month to month.

This happens while you are avoiding a gas expense of $60 every 2-3 days (case of the ICE cousin) in favor of a $20+ gas expense every 6-8days. It may only amount to $1000/yr difference but it lightens the short term load of expenses.

Look at the small business owner who is taking on a project, for which he won’t get paid until it is finished (could be a year away). Short term, he incurs weekly expenses. A good practice is to defer all costs out to the future as long as possible, to a point when you have money to pay them, as you minimize short term expenses as much as possible.

There are many cases like this, a contractor or a real estate agent. Take the realtor’s case, there are over 1M realtors in the U.S. Realtors incur the daily expense of taking many people around all day. They only get paid at closings, which could be months to over a year away (in case of new constructions). Even at that, the actual closings of properties are not all that certain, lots of risks. Tons of realtors leave the real estate business because they can not weather daily expense for extended periods.

The point is, if it is critical to minimize short term expenses then Hybrids may fit the bill. Hybrid can also be an "ice"-breaker conversationally.
  • Options
    Yes.

I've always asked 'Why do we have to wait to now?' Why didn't we have 30mpg-40mpg vehicles back in the 1970s? We used to laugh at the Japanese for making puny cars.

There is a deeper issue that Americans want to look good and that has been defined by driving BIG cars. Making low price gas only feed that mentality.

And then there is another egotistical mentality that 'if I make more money than you then I should drive bigger and more powerful cars than you', and have a right to waste more resources than you. It's a combination of the ME generation and the NOW generation.

The hybrids and other low gas mileage challenge that kind of thinking. There is significant push back.

It may take multiple generations to change that mentality.

I believe that the "BIG car" and the "BIG oil" companies will do what we tell them to do, but it is difficult to resist their additive products. They claim that they only make what we will buy.

Higher gas prices will be good for America long term. Short term, it will create hardship on less moneyed people.
  • Options
    library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    Looking at safety and reliability, I could not find anything in the price range of the Prius. Fuel savings is a monetary bonus, but not having to find gas every 3 days is the big incentive.

Safety: I looked at the NHTSA and IIHS data for a number of popular cars inc. the Camry, Jetta, Xa, Accord and Avalon, plus the Prius and Passat tests from Europe.

Fuel Prices: I graphed fuel cost for my use of 18,000 miles per year at $3-$6 per gallon for cars with 20 (my Passat), 30 (Scion Xa) and 45 MPG for the Prius.

Adding the purchase price of the vehicle to the operating cost, at about $2.50/gal all are approximately equal. $3 gas gives a small advantage to the Prius, which increases as prices rise...but the $3,000 tax credit make the Prius the winner in any event.

The 'Other Factor' is the possibility of shortages/rationing. Prius and a 55 Gal drum of gas means no problems no matter what, inc. no electricity at the service stations in a disaster.

That works for me. Maybe not for others, depending on needs.
  • Options
    I am confused with respect to how people are computing the hybrid "premium" with respect to the Prius. I consider the Prius a bargain with all its content. When you factor in the 3k tax credit.... it makes it even MORE of a bargain!
  • Options
    I think it's a bargain myself !!

That's $5k premium is for the 400h.
  • Options
    I think the RH400 is nice but no one should consider it if their sole purpose is to recoup the add'l cost over the RX330. It is NOT going to happen. I still think it's an incredible achievement to have a 4000lb plus vehicle with a high Cd that easily gets high 20's on the highway. I think the 50k cost is way too high. I can buy 2 Prius for that!!!
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    In 2003 I leased an Infiniti FX45. Great idea when gas was alot cheaper. 13 mpg, Premium required, 20" tires at $1200 a set every 18k.
    When gas went to over $3, and with Premium here going up to 40 cents above regular in San Diego (we have super expensive gas here and always have), and driving 20k every year as a real estate broker, I started doing the numbers. I'm no PBS Yuppie, or Hollywood hippocrit - it's all a matter of numbers.
    I got my 05 Super White Prius with #6 for $29,700 including $300 over MSRP in Early Sept (some dealers now want $3000 over MSRP, and the lines getting longer for the 2006 tax credit and HOV lane bonus).
    At over 40 miles per gallon on regular gas, the $555 payment on the Prius is partially offset by the $250 monthly gas savings by not driving the FX45. It's so nice spending less that $25 to fill up the Prius every 1.5 weeks instead of filling the FX45 (over $60 every week). Not to mention the other expenses on the FX (more frequent service, tires and higher insurance). As soon as the FX lease is up, I'm going for a second Prius!
  • Options
    Good for you!! I didn't realize the FX got such poor mileage. Was the price you paid including tax and everything? I thought the list price + 300 ADM should take you in mid 27k territory. I am waiting until Jan to take advantage of the tax credit. You're going to LOVE your Prius!! Good luck!
  • Options
    One of the many things that makes America the Greatest country on Earth is that unlike Socialist countries...We are not forced to drive puny cars...We we are able to buy and drive what we WANT....

Because of that American trate to consume, To strive for Luxury and not just substance...Our economy Grows..Our people prosper...If necessary our people invent what it takes to get what we want...If we run out of oil we will find a way to burn Water...if necessary.
  • Options
    Thinking more about it, it's not limited to us. Rich people in other countries would want to buy huge vehicles, too. It's a statement.

Statements as such as a personal cost, small to some and larger to other. And there's also a social cost. I don't think we are in control as much as we feel or as we think: just a more localized event of a hurricane ended up causing a shock to our gas supply, thus economy. Imagine what the Saudis can do to get us on our knee. (off topic, sorry).

I hope we find a way to burn water soon.
  • Options
    "Big Oil". It is quite obvious the people enumerating opions about "BigOuL" have only a very perfideral view at best of what really drives an Oil Company. Don't you aready think ther are looking for bettery recovery, new sources, altenate energy, and more cost effective ways to produce oil and oil products. To compare the oil industry with the railroad industry is a pretty far stretch. The railroad industry was pretty myoptic and outspoken that railroad was "king" and nothing would ever replace it.

Hybrids are still a niche, but are becoming more accepted, yet they still account for less than 1% of new vehicle sales and even less than that if you look at the entire set of vehicles being driven. Let's go back to the figures that were presented, the US make 3% of the oil and uses 25%. That is not exactly true, because almost all major and even many minor oil compnaies are international. Much of big oil is already being produced by US oweenrship internationally which means thge 3% is probably more like 10%; but let's use the 3%.

Let's say a national law was declared and not cars other than Prius could be driven and that Toyota merged .with GM and Ford. So the end result is that the average mileage wnet from 10 mpg to 50 mpg and the US used only 1/5 of what it does now. Hey that gets us to 5% still producing 3% only using 67% more than being produces. It should be obviuos that hybrid, Prius or whatever, is not the answer. Hybrid is the current stop-gap answer. It sounds good,but has no real depth.

Simlarly hydrogen sounds good until you find out how much it costs to produce and how new hydrogen filling stations would have to be designed. Huyrogen is very eplosive so the transport and storage will require extensive safety features.

Then there is diesel; probably a better long term solution.

But maybe the best is nuclear, true mass transportation and telecommuting.

It is amazing the number of people that buy the Prius, HCH, HAH as a "green" car and then change thier oil at 3,000 miles. Sure seems like an oxymoron to me.

Hybrids are popular now, just like 4-cylinder turbos were in the mid-70s. But what about 5 years from now, just think a mini-nuclear reactor car that has fuel for the life of the car included, no fill-ups!

Hybrids are still a niche until they have over 5% of the market! Even at 5% their impact will be minimal.

YMMV,

MidCow - driving a performance economy coupe!
  • Options
    Hybrids WILL eventually, far more than they do today, cut into consumption. When higher gas prices and more hybrids on the road combine with the current trend of people DUMPING SUVs, consumption will go down as inevitably as the decline of our oil supply.
    As midnight said above, the problem is that the amount we use would have to drop to something like 300mpg for it to really be a situation where we didn't have to import any oil from OPEC. Hybrids are full of batteries as well, which are a hazard to recycle and produce(though not a tenth as awful as most fuel cells impact).

We need to make vehicles that run off of renewable resources, which means plants. The Diesel engine was made to originally run on soybean oil. He saw the future problems of a non-sustainable resource. the oil companies kludged their gasoline formulas so that it could be used in the engine. With about 2/3 the efficiency.

It's actually not the cars that are causing our current problem, but our transportation serveices that run on diesel fuel with little or no emissions controls. One train or cargo ship will pollute tens of thousands of times more than a Prius per hour. Most small boats for instance, average maybe 1-2MPG. Big Rigs maybe ten if they are lucky. Large cargo ships? It's gallons per mile. Converting them over would make a huge impact.

The reality is that we need to switch to alternatives other than oil to power our industries and vehicles. A hybrid is merely a very tiny step in the right direction by an industry that's dragging its feet.
  • Options
    Let's forget for a minute that the first gen Prius and Insight even were here before 2004. Their numbers were miniscule. In just two years time, the Prius has become much more than a niche vehicle. When you're selling over 100,000 units just in the NA market, you're not a niche car anymore. With the advent of the Ford, Honda and Toyota hybrids, there will be many more hybrids on the road. Give it time, then you'll see the impact. I'm glad to be a part of the minority. Midnight... your continued participation is refreshing as well as encouraged. You ended up buying a non-hybrid but still enjoy participating positively in the hybrid discussions. Bravo!! Maybe we can special order a 6speed Prius for ya!!
  • Options
    It sounds like big numbers to us, but General Motors probably loses more cars than that in shipping. It's a niche by auto industry standards but not if you are selling motorhomes.

It's not an infinitely expandable market is, I think, the point. But it has room to grow you are right about that.
This discussion has been closed.