Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    ummmm - I hate to break the news to you... but a diesel engine DOES NOT HAVE a throttlebody because there is no throttle plate.

With a diesel engine, the engine speed is controlled soley by amount of fuel injected. It is allowed to breathe as much air as it wants at all times. (because there is no throttle plate)

Many diesel engines have a safety-feature which will close off the intake air when the ignition switch is turned off. This is because if your turbocharger seals started to leak engine-oil.... the engine would rev out of control. (using the engine-oil as fuel).

On the VW TDI engine this safety-valve is called the "Anti shudder valve" because it forces the engine to stop running quickly (with minimal shuddering) when you turn off the ignition.

If your dealership is refering to the Anti shudder valve as a "throttle"... then they may not be competent to work on a diesel engine.

I suspect your INTAKE MANIFOLD is plugged up and needs to be removed and cleaned.

Here is link to Intake Manifold Cleaning 101 (Notice the location of the Anti shudder valve in the diagram)
  • 1stpik1stpik Member Posts: 495
    Hondas built in the US should cost MORE than comparable domestics because they're BETTER than comparable domestics.

A Focus costs $15,000. A Civic costs $17,000. Which would you rather have?

You may love your VW, but the market shows a different preference: VW sells 10,000 Jettas per month. Honda sells 25,000 Accords per month.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    The market sets the price, so if they can get $26,000 for them I guess that's what they're worth. That number is on the high end though based on what I was seeing a few months back. I shopped a package 2 TDI and was in the $24,000 range. And that was a very loaded up vehicle; the base TDI's can be bought for around $20,000 and they're better equipped than many other cars. That might have changed since gas went crazy, but who knows. What I can't justify (in my head) is selling mine and buying a new one.

If you don't need the comfort and size of the newer TDI's, go find a used one at a more reasonable price. Mine is more comparable size-wise to the Civics/Focus but still a much nicer car....even with 150k miles on the clock.

VW's certainly aren't for everyone and IMHO they'll never sell anywhere near the mainstream cookie-cutter mobiles. Fine with me. And if you have to rely on the dealers for service, forgetaboutit. They're almost as bad as Toyota dealers....
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    VW sells 10,000 Jettas per month. Honda sells 25,000 Accords per month.

I wish I knew what point you are trying to make. Is the Camry twice as good as the Accord because they sell 50,000 per month. You will not appreciate the Jetta TDI until you drive one. You probably will not give them a try because of media indoctrination. Enjoy your Civic and leave the Jetta to those that really like a drivers car. There is no comparison between the two. You get what you pay for. If you are already tired of the Civic, you can trade it in on a 2008 Jetta TDI in all 50 states. Only then will you know why they cost a little more.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    For me, really the good/bad news. I live side by side with Civic/Jetta TDI and there is LITERALLY almost no comparison. The Civic at best has mediocre quality vs the VW JETTA TDI. Indeed, Honda does reliability and marketing well with its at best mediocre quality. VW would need to do reliability much better with its far superior quality if they wanted to mount a credible attack on Honda let alone Toyota. (volume wise) I would surmise selling VW's at those combined volumes would at best be a two edge sword to VW.

Now I make those ARTIFICIAL comparisons, such as: price, B/E, fuel mileage, suitability for a purpose full reason, etc, etc.: daily commute.
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    I paid $25.7K (about $1K below MSRP) for my 06.5 TDI back in April, and I've not regretted it. I've really enjoyed the Jetta so far.

I had always been of that Honda mindset where the car is an appliance, and where a perhaps a more bland driving experience is accepted for the reliability gains.

I still have an appreciation for Honda vehicles (and my wife still drives an Odyssey), but the total package of the Jetta was very attractive to me (diesel engine, DSG transmission, european styled interior, etc.)
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    06.5 jetta TDI is a bit pricey. but it's loaded with great features & quality too.
    Either way, I'd rather pay extra $ to VW for a TDI than pay less for an equivalent non-diesel car and then end up paying the same extra $ (and more) to oil-producers.
    Our two latest TDIs cost $20,060 & $26,900 (DSG beetle, 5-spd jetta). In a year one has 40k miles, the other 27k. By my count, we've saved over $5000 in fuel costs, compared to driving our 20 mpg gasser vehicle(s).
  • fermifermi Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the confusion but they are cleaning out the intake manifold(egr valve located on the side). It is taking a long time to break up all the stuff inside. They have been soaking it in kerosene due to the fact that the other cleaners are not working. Thanks for the link and that is exactly what they are doing.
    Sean
  • hopeful99hopeful99 Member Posts: 20
    does any one know about MOTORKOTE oil additive. can this be used in tdi eng. is it safe. looks like it could work. thanks. :confuse:
    If you use the approved oil in a TDI engine, there is no need to add anything to it.
    Although VW suggests a 10,000 mile OCI (Oil Change Interval)... in reality, many folks that actually send out samples of oil to be tested have PROVEN that VW-approved oil can go more like 15,000 miles without any undue wear to the engine internals.

Translation -- VW engineers have made sure there is a safety-factor when they specified 10,000 OCI.
    IS THERE AN AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE 06 JETTA TDI ANY WHERE OUT THERE? And will it help with performance and mpg.
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    Don't know what's available in USA but here's a link to a very respected outfit in the UK.

www.jabbasport.com/

You want 220bhp ? You got it. Just browse the site :)
    You might find something useful on the UK Briskoda forum. Scroll thro' until you get to Maintenance & Performance. Could be something there, after all, all the techy bits are common across the VAG group.

www.briskoda.net/forums/

Also look at the UK VW forum. Is there a USA version, perhaps ?

www.vwforum.co.uk/

Would be interested to hear if you're successful.
    You wont find much power in an "air intake system"... Perhaps you are thinking about a GASOLINE engine.

Besides, VWs come from the factory with a cold-air-intake system. Why pay money to replace what is already pretty good?

A TDI engine is TURBOCHARGED... so it already swallows air pretty quickly. A diesel engine is SUPPOSED to swallow huge amounts of air. The intercooler then cools off the compressed intake air.

Look for power by injecting more fuel. That is where a diesel engine makes power. (and smoke!)
  • sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    For the first time in my life the oil change sticker says I need to change the oil based on the "date" and not the miles on the car! With my wife as a stay at home mom the Jetta is not getting too many miles racked up.
    I need some feedback on this:

Last oil change - 30,554km November 11/2006(just shy of the 20,000mile mark)

The dealership puts 6 months or 38,554km whichever comes first. The tell me I should have changed it in May 07. I am only at 37,000km now. DO I really need to change the oil out because it is "old" but not fully used? I wanted to get the miles on to meet my service intervals. (25,000km) is the next one due and it is only a oil change. I am planning a trip through the rocky mountains in 2 weeks probably put on the needed 1500km or so.
    :confuse:
    Thanks
    2006 Jetta TDI

My service interval guide that came with the car mentions the timing belt to be replaced @ 90,000miles and then again @ 100,000miles. Does this seem right? SHould it be replaced sooner? Why do they do it back to back like that if this is the correct interval?
    No, that's not right. I believe it needs changed at 100k miles, but 90k miles certainly wouldn't hurt anything. If the belt breaks, your wallet will be empty for awhile....

As for the oil change, I'm guessing your manual will tell you that as well. My Jetta is older, but I believe the service intervals are the same: 10k miles/16,000km. Most manuals recommend changing the oil at least once a year if the mileage isn't met. Now, assuming your dealer used synthetic oil, your next service really isn't needed until 46,000k or more likely in your case this coming November.

Dealers like to make money and 10k mile service intervals don't do them any favors so they'll put all kinds of crazy stuff on the little stickers. My Dodge is rated for 12k miles between changes and the one dealer always put a little sticker saying to come back in 3k miles.....yeah right....12 quarts of oil every 3k miles....? Get real.

If your dealer didn't use the correct synthetic oil you need to find somewhere else to have your vehicle serviced. These are very sensitive to using the correct oil and it can damage the engine.
    My little Skoda, with the 130bhp 1.9 TDi needs belt change at 60,000 miles or 4 years - whichever come first, (WCF). This was originally 80,000 miles but was reduced due to, (I'm told), a history of belt failures before 80k miles. Earlier owners manuals, (mines a late-'04/MY '05 car), don't reflect this update for obvious reasons. Might be worth asking the question of VW America............if there is such an entity. Belt failure could be a financially withering experience. No, not could be - would be.

10k mile/1 year oil, WCF, changes are the norm for the 1.9TDi although the later 2.0 TDi has "variable" service intervals depending upon usage. Not a big price to pay for long life.

I'm looking seriosly at a Jag S-type with the 2.7 twin-turbo diesel..............206bhp/435Nm. Having driven one I have to say it is a gem and I have the VAG Tdi engine to thank for my conversion to diesel power. ;)
    sebring95 The dealer uses the Castrol 505.01 spec oil for my 2006 Jetta TDI. So to me it should be good for 1 year. I am not sure if that is a synthetic oil? All I know is that the spec MUST be met for the pump deuse engine or things get ugly fast.

Why would your service interval be 16,000km between oil changes etc. when my book says 5,000miles! That is 3x's the difference? :confuse:

However I am curious as to what the Maintenance Booklet 1.1 for the 2006 Jetta says for other owners especially south of the boarder from me. Our service intervals are every 5,000miles or 8,000km. And in my book timing belt change isnt even mentioned until 90,000miles/144,000km. And then again at 100,000miles.! To me this is a serious error in VW's Maintenance book. Especially if the timing belt should be changed earlier. If anyone else has this booklet stuffed inside their glove box I am curious to know what it says.

I need clarification on this.

thanks
    Most TDI engines are speced at 10,000 mile OCI (Oil Change Interval) Only the 1st 2 oilchanges is 5,000 and 10,000 miles... after that it is every 10,000 miles.

The VW-speced oil has been shown to easilly be able to go over 15,000 mile OCI.

I am curious... does your book REALLY suggest 5,000 OCI - or are you mistakingly reading about the 1st oilchange with the breakin oil?
    Bruce,

It really says so I can scan it and post it if you want.. I dont understand why this would be different??
    I dont think I can post pictures.? Can I?

Anyways i think the best thing here is to compare apples to apples. We need someone else with a 2006 Jetta TDI Maintenance book to look and see what their service intervals are. Mine are very clearly laid out as every 5000miles.
    I imagine your manual is printed by VW Canada and they may have different ideas on what is needed in your colder climate. I find it best to use the dealer for oil changes on the interval in the manual. Then they have no recourse if the engine fails under warranty. The timing belt issue sounds like a typo error.
    I am going to call VW tomorrow. The Maintenance book only states printed in Mexico. Nothing really about a specific Canada edition. And if there is different editions per country that makes zero sense to me. Someone in Montana would get similar weather to someone in Alberta.

VW doesnt seem to have their literature correct on this one. Makes me feel real confident in VW and the service I get performed on my $35,000cdn. Jetta. UNREAL :mad:
  • dieselfitter1dieselfitter1 Member Posts: 42
    OK,first thing to do is disconnect the vacumn hose on the egr valve and plug the hose.After 40miles the engine light will come on,so what. Carbon and soot buildup in the intake manifold seems to be a problem when the egr valve is functioning so that is why I disconnected it. Always use a good quality diesel fuel treatment,summer and winter. I also installed a frantz bypass oil filter. I used amms 5-40 european car formula synoil. I installed a van akken chip which increased HP from 90 to 110. Torque went from 155 to 200 ft lbs. This unit moves! I have had a few minor problems,egr cooler started leaking,a window fell in. These problems were near the end of the warranty.So far,so good! Would I buy another one? Yes,but only if the dealer signs off on disconnecting the egr valve/warranty thing. I am looking forward to the new bluetec diesels. 137horsepower and 240ft lbs of torque!! My jetta has 126000kms on it and it seems to be behaving itself. Anybody got any info on how to change a timing belt? It is due at 128000kms
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    The maintenance manual that came with our U.S. spec 06 TDI states 5K, 10K, 20K, 30K, etc. You can find the maintenance schedule at

http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/servicecenter/maintenance/en/us/
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can post pictures in your album on your CarSpace page. Links will be generated for each pic that you can then use in a post to display it here.
    I spoke with VW directly. There is a major typo in the service manual in regards to the timing belt change. And it is not supposed to be back to back at 90k then 100k.

I also talked with the dealer regarding the 5k service interval and according to them even with a TDI you MUST do the oil change etc every 5k miles and follow the service interval of a gasser.?? :confuse: I talked with the service manager and he claims that they see too many problems with the TDI's and it falls back on maintenance and with the 5 k interval this resolves alot of problems. Sounds a bit like a sales pitch to me!
    He also claims change the oil every 6months or 5kmiles or else you get condesation in the oil....I dont know who or what to belive, why would the dealer and VW tell you 2 totally different things?

Anyways, with all this hasstle maybe I should have got a gasser.....unreal
    why would the dealer and VW tell you 2 totally different things

Hmmmm, maybe because the dealer makes more money on service than anything else?? If the dealer has seen problems with TDI's due to long service intervals, it would have to be from using improper oil, not the service interval itself. Use the oil spec'd in the manual and you'll have no issues at 10k (or likely 15k miles based on testing I've seen).

If you want to rid yourself of all further hassles with this vehicle, learn to do some very basic maintenance yourself and be done with the VW dealer. The TDI is possibly the easiest vehicle to service yourself with just a little research. Lost of how-to at www.tdiclub.com and links to buying parts at a fraction of the dealer.

If you're the type that MUST use a dealer for service, then something besides a VW should be in your cards. Just my $.02 (or $.021322 Canadian) ;)
    seanjohn , sounds like the dealer is lying in order to generate more business.
    the TDI service interval remains 10k not 5k.
    The local TDI-expert VW dealer sends out a postcard recommending "supplemental 5k oil change". But the word *supplemental* is crucial and truthful.
    I do change the oil at 10k, but it could take over a year to put 10k on car. is this ok. thank you for any help.
    Most recommend once a year regardless of miles. I would imagine if you aren't hitting 10k miles a year you're driving short trips which reduces oil life. Fuel/condensation doesn't get burned off if the engine never gets run hard.

Mileage requirements are very generic and not the best way to monitor oil. However, unless the vehicle has an engine monitoring system like GM, Honda, and some other higher-end brands, it's the standard used by manufacturers. Your oil life is effected by the number of cold starts, engine revolutions, amount of idling, and engine temps. An oil analysis can tell you exactly what you need to know. I have had my TDI oil tested a couple times and with my type of driving (relatively fast, but lots of highway miles) my oil at 12k miles was WELL within spec. I probably could go 15k-18k miles without any issues. Someone doing city driving might max out around the 10k mile mark, maybe less. An oil analysis will tell you. If you drop your oil at 10k miles and say 15 months....have it tested and let us know what you find. It would be interesting to see and only costs $30 max.
  • j_jonesj_jones Member Posts: 9
    ok. I'm not sure if anyone else have noticed. I have a '05 Jetta 2.5. I have read the manual inside out and found all the features of the mirrors (self-dimming, heated outside mirrors). 3 days ago, I was at a soccer field waiting in my car for other players to show up while also on the phone. There were few guys kicking the ball around. All of a sudden, one of the guy kicked the ball over the goal post and the ball came at my car with 30-35mph or more and the ball hit my side mirror and i noticed immediately that the mirror bent. I thought it broke. When I stepped outside to check, i figured the mirror folds. So i went to the passenger side and slowly apply the force to fold that one too. I was surprised after driving my car for nearly 2 years. I thought I knew my car inside out with all d features. This discovery forced me to go back and read the manual again and nothing about folding mirror popped up in there. The thing now is, is there a button to auto fold this that I'm not aware of? or the VW engineers expect me to manually fold this mirrors everytime?
    If you have '05 -'07, please double check to see if you have folding outside mirrors. Please be very careful while trying this. Apply pressure gently and progressively otherwise, you might break the mirror.
    thank you for your help about oc time . it is very helpful.
    As far as I'm aware all VAG cars have folding mirrors, some electric but most manual. Purpose is two-fold : a) if you're parking in a tight situation you can fold one or both mirrors to allow people top walk through the gap without tearing your mirror off, b) if the mirror contacts some oncoming obstacle, (such as the mirror of a car cxoming the other way), it will "fold" and not get ripped off. I have had this happen to me, (but not on a VW), and it works but the bang gives one heck of a shock and you realise just how close you both were. I think this is a standard feature on most, if not all, European cars and probably Japanese/Korean also. My wife's Jazz (Fit) has power-fold mirrors and my last Peugeot 307 had auto-power-fold mirrors. :shades:

Be happy, you just found a feature you didn't know about. As you've had the car for 2 years without usuing this feature it would seem that manual fold should be perfectly acceptable. Presume your mirrors are electrically adjusted and heated. :)
  • j_jonesj_jones Member Posts: 9
    I'm happy...but atleast you knew about it. I didn't until few days ago. I really don't know who wrote those manuals but regardless of whether some pple knew or not, it should still be stated in the manual why it is man/auto whichever comes w/the car. I almost had heart attack thinking this guy just broke my mirror. Well, today I took the car back for a Passat with 4miles. Feels different...although I promised myself that my next car was gonna be Audi A6 or A4. I goofed up on that promise. I also test drove the LE Fahrenheit and took it on the highway for about 20mins, that thing is a devil...0-60mph in 5-10secs is madness.. Thats appr. 2-3 tickets a month with each totalling $185.90. I'm sorry, I won't be contributing to dept. of motor vehicle n highway...anytime soon..still the price was ridiculously high cuz it's LE. So I made friends with Passat instead of Jetta that I already have.

Thanks for your response. I guarantee you, most pple don't know that those mirrors fold in north america. Most car mirrors that fold around here are more like Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguar, Bentley and etc ...those "Mr. Luxury" title cars.
    Did you notice the "3rd" sunvisor in between the other 2 normal ones?

I have known about the folding mirrors on VWs since my 1976 Scirocco.... but the center sunvisor was a surprise find on my 2003 Jetta.

BTW: My brother-inlaws GMC truck has power folding mirrors.
    I was driving up a steep highway out of Phoenix headed to I40. There was a boat in front of me in the right lane. I could not see the vehicle pulling it. He was doing a little over 70 MPH. When I finally passed him it was a last generation Jetta TDI pulling that big boat at over 70 MPH up hill. I was amazed.

Try that with any gas compact or mid sized car.
    Actually so am I!

At times I have had 4/5 passengers with a fully loaded trunk and thought... geezzzzzzzzzzz.
    Throw a few mild mods at your tdi and you wouldn't be surprised. These are well gagged in OEM form. As long as you don't press harder on the go-pedal, your mileage won't suffer. But it's nice to have it when you want it.
    Absolutely. Since I plan to keep this for a few more miles (500,000- 1,000,000) miles) I am pretty much staying with stock. As you have alluded, one change can/does affect/ effect parts to all of the "system". Since before the end of the 50,000 mile warranty, I have been running 25,000 mile OCI's. I have read in few places that ULSD has almost made moot, soot loading of the oil. As a consequence the additive that mitigates soot loading lasts FAR longer. The 100,000 mile timing belt change marker is just around the corner. Brake pads and rotors look good to go to a min of 150,000 rears to 125,000 mile fronts. I also will be swapping out the tires between 110k-130k,and get its first alignment. At the time (45k miles), I bought the Toyo TPT's, since the consensus at the time, the oem GY LS-H's would die around 50/60k. So while I am curious to see how they fare, new technology has since put out at least two new tires that might trump the now older stand by's.

At this mileage, I am still getting (essentially at will) "new car" mpg. I have used Primrose 405C since new for the fuel pump lubricity, so have no real comparison with NON use. The next logical swap (worn stock injectors) would be the PP 520 injectors (injectors from .184 to .205) for that extra 20-25 hp and 40# ft of torque, at the 150,000-200,000 mile marker. The Alligator chip (and tuning) might be in the cards, but I want to conspire to help the clutch go the full 450,000 to 500,000 miles! :) On the other hand...

Kerma comes down here a lot, so I might indeed get them all done at once. :)

So far, I am very happy with the 100k or so mileage put on the VW JETTA TDI. Outside of two TSB's (dealer executed) and a dead battery at the 33rd month, (short and long story here, but solved hopefully with a Battery Tender) it has been very reliable.
    Sounds like a plan. I was a bit more aggressive and swapped in an Upsolute around 40k miles and then added the .205's around 60k miles. The upsolute was a nice mod, but that and the .205's makes this baby truck. It's still not a drag-racer by any stretch, but downright awesome once in motion. I can easily spin the clutch, so drag-racin isn't good for it anyway. I'm still on the stock clutch at a click or two past 150k miles. I swapped in Bilstein HD's around 70k along with a summer set of 17" on OEM rims and Michelins. I burned those off in two summers and replaced them with Continentals. I run the stock 15's and Nokian WR's for the foul months.

I have BP Diesel Supreme delivered here in bulk and normally don't run any additives. I keep some additive in the trunk in case I need to fuel at a location with questionable fuel supply. I believe the use of Diesel Supreme over the years (15ppm and high cetane even 10 years ago.....) had kept me from needing further adjustments due to the mods. I get zero smoke from this fuel/setup. I've fueled elsewhere before and did get some smoke, so I stick with what seems to be working great. I don't normally venture much beyond 300 miles from the farm, so I can easily can make the turn on one tank. Intake is clean, egr bypassed, life is good. I just wish my trucks could get 45mpg.....
    If we ever meet at a GTG, I'd sure like a ride in your rig! :)

Yeah for us the TDI did its early life as a plain jane commuter with 48-52 mpg in one of the worst commutes you can imagine. Weekends were more longer distance touring.

I still routinely do a 600 mile R/T to have lunch with my daughter away at university. The trip hearkens back to John Steinbeck's era. Now of course, there are areas with grape vines literally as far as the eyes can see. So in some books, one of the more idyllic rides. This is her last year, so this will drop off. I sometimes don't even fuel till the return home. That fact still amazes me. :)
  • darrelbdarrelb Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an early 2005 TDI jetta with 38000 miles. On an 800 mile trip only averaged 32.5 MPG. It came with 18" wheels low profile tires 225/40 ZR18 88W .Has a Tiptronic transmission. 80% freeway @75-78 MPH with cruise control. Expected better. Hoped for at least high 30s or low 40s. Any suggestions? Thanks Darrelb
    The tranmission option structurally yields less mpg. ( minus (8-4 mph) :(

As a comparison the 2003 TDI manual trans epa is 42/49, auto is 34/45 mpg.

Since the auto transmission fluid is already synthetic, that part is as good as it is going to get.

Another strutural thing is full compression happens at app 60,000 miles. So as you approach this, the mpg SHOULD get slightly better. (1-2 mpg better)

Tires and rims combos can get back or lose as much as (+/- )5 mpg. But my guess is a change back to more oem tires and rims is not something you really want to do. Oem tires and rims have as a high priority (MAX) mpg. (aka least rolling resistance) So almost all deviations from this (oem provided tires) exacts a fuel penalty. So if you are willing to do the crime so to speak, the time comes along with it.

Another thing one can do is to increase the tire pressures. You can use 85% of the max side wall pressure as a gauge my case 44 psi run at 38 psi. Most folks normally adjust downwards. The other is to drive the TDI in its sweet spots and overall within the design parameters. So for example I routinely rev to 2500 to 3500 rpms and I cruise at 2500 to 3000 rpms.

The less weight the better. A rule of thumb is 1 mpg loss/gain per 100#'s.
    darrelb, i think it's the tires & wheels that are killing your MPG. the wheels probably weight more than 16" stock wheels and also have much larger moments of inertia than the 16s.
    I don't think the transmission is a huge factor since it is a non-slipping DSG transmission - you should be able to do much better even with the DSG.
    for best MPG, drop the "dubs" and use factory 16 inch wheels & michelin MXVs.
    for comparison, mine is an 06 jetta 5-spd and I get 44 mpg tank after tank at about the same speeds as you report.
    btw, got a roofrack or miracle-bra or a rear-wing on the car? remove those too and mpg could improve...
    I'm guessing a large part of it is the rims/tires as well. Depending on whether or not you've got a new body style or old 2005, you're running between 20-30mm wider tires in a grippy style which will certainly zap the fuel mileage.
  • darrelbdarrelb Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all who responded to my fuel mileage question. The problem seems to be tires and wheels. As my primary concern is fuel economy,I will be looking for someone interested in tradeing wheels and tires . Thanks darrelb
    Yes, you might also want to check the dealer or technical specifications to identify the exact size for your year's and model's tire and rim size. So for example, the 2003 VW Jetta TDI is a 195-65-15. Oem tires being one of three Continental Contact, Michelin MXXV4, GY LS (-H) with a 91 H rating. Again oem specified tires USUALLY have the least rolling resistance. Best of luck to you.
    38,000 miles is barely broken in! My MPG continued to go up for about 50,000 miles. I log evrey drop of fuel that goes thru my vehicles.

Now, with about 80,000 miles on it, My last 2 tankfuls were over 750 miles (about 55 MPG) I also run about 40PSI in the tires for the least rolling resistance. (They are rated for 45 so I am well within safety evelope.)

However, I must also confess that I have the more efficent TDI (2003 model year)

I assume you are adding cetane improver at every fillup. Bumping the cetane a few numbers REALLY improves MPG and also reduces engine noise. (The lubricant in the fuel also reduces wear on the injection system.)

You may also want to check your IQ (Injection Quality) The timing of the injectors plays a critial role in realized MPG.