Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    The newest Jetta TDI with the 140hp and 2**lbs ft... Does anyone know when it will be released or if it will still get the same, similar, better, or worse mpg?

BTW, I'm glad they walked away from the Bluemotion name. Does VW use UREA?

-Cj
  • alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    The TDi 2.0/140bhp engine has been around in Europe for a while now, and economy varies by car it's in. In the Skoda Superb, (basically a bigger Passat), it gets better mileage than the TDi 1.9/130bhp engine.............because the smaller engine is probably struggling slightly. In the current Jetta the Average figures are 53.3 for the TDi 1.9/103bhp, (yes 103 bhp), vs 48.7 for the TDi 2.0/138bhp. These numbers are Miles per (Imperial) Gallon, of course, on European cycle.

Not bad as a rough guide.
    pretty good actually! Still, after watching this video I got from youtube, I'm stuck somewhere between a rock and a hard place!

I can only tell its diesel during the beginning. But after its going, I can no longer tell! Its so hard to pick! Plus the 100hp vs 140hp is whats eating at me. I would hate to pick by price and settle for less than what I want...

As long as there is a sunroof and the car is Deep Sea Green I'll be fine! I should be able to get the body accessory from VW anyways. The Lip spoiler, the AVGNON(Sp?) rims(Build a jetta 2.0T with package 1&2 and the rims you get then), and even the leatherette seats are great! As long as its not the hub caps...

Yup, I'm stuck betwwen a rock and a hard place. I can actually use my company slogan here... Diesel, Something different (Dairy Queen) but I'm not sure how the transition from smooth high reving v6 (170hp 164lbs ft) 95accord to a jetta. Its complete the opposite... :sick:
    -Cj
  • vwinvavwinva Posts: 71
    Reference UREA. From what VW says, no. Uses some sort of a filter trap. No Adblue. I am surprised given how fast Adblue is catching on in Europe. Distribution problems I imagine.
  • or you could also try VW Parts Online.
    There is some bad news to this also.

I went to the VW dealer yesterday and he was telling us some information about the diesel cars. A summary of what he said: The current... Old(?) TDI engine could use either ULSD or Regular Diesel whereas the new 2l TDI can ONLY run on ULSD. ULSD is.... SO on so forth. He was from England and was telling us how gas was $9, no one drove automatics, and how there is a $1300 tax for driving an SUV.

He was a very knowledgeable guy! He even informed us about the 2.5 jetta going from 150hp hp 170hp (making it more attractive to me!) and VW's color changes.

He did loose points when he had no clue that VW jettas were made in "Deep Sea Green" metallic... Honest mistake because its green thats mixed with grey.

Shadow Blue, Deep sea green, and that gold wheat color are all gone for 2008. Oh and the excellent news is that the jetta 2.5 is rated at 22/29 for 2008 instead of 22/30.

BTW, VW DID change the trim names. Its now S, SE, and SEL. So far, only the 2.5s are out and there is no word on the 2.0T engines for the jetta.

:surprise: OMG THE JETTAS TRUNK IS MUCH LARGER IN PERSON THAN PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surprise: My first time visiting a VW dealer in quite some time. I think the last was when the A5 jetta was JUST introduced and there was only one on display.

-Cj :)
    Your VW sales guy is being economical with the truth in some departments. Gasoline and ULSD prices are very close to $9 per Imperial Gallon; approx $7.3 per US Gallon.

Automatics are not uncommon over here and DSG 'boxes are increasingly popular.

The Annual Road Tax, (Vehicle Excise Duty), in UK for the highest band of vehicles, (those producing CO2 at >225g/km), is approx $600, not $1300. However, London is proposing that such cars be charged $50 per day to drive into the city. Other cities are watching with interest.

We don't get the 2.5TDi in Jetta or Passat here in Europe. Other VAG marques use it at in either 160 or 173bhp formats but it's getting to be very rare and is replaced by the 2.7TDi at Audi but that's not used by VW. VW use some 2.5TDI plus 3.0TDi and 5.0TDi V10 engines. :shades:

Boot, (trunk), on the Jetta is actually larger than on the Passat. Go figure. :confuse:

2.0 gas engine is still around but the one to watch for is the, (relatively), new 1.4TSI gas engine. Comes in 140 or 170bhp formats. Yes, it is only 1.4 litre but has both a turbo and a supercharger. Very clean engine. :)

If you Google on vw.co.uk, or audi.co.uk, or seat.co.uk or skoda.co.uk you can browse all the VAG products/specs we get.............and be shocked by UK car prices. Jetta prices range from $29.5k to $36.3k. Passat goes as high as $51.7 for the 3.2 4Motion model. I've used an ExRate of 2 USD to the Pound.

The VAG group has Audi at the top then VW followed by Skoda and SEAT. Common engineering but quite different approaches. Worth trawling through.

Hope this helps. :)
    How far is the Euro and USD now?
    At present, 1 Euro = 1.35USD and 1GBP = 1.98USD
    Hey is the diesel chatter/clatter easy to become used to? I know its different but i've not been in one before... other than the big 42passenger exclusive canary yellow hummer-like limo that picks me up in the mornings ;) .
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    I can't answer for the people outside. I don't hear it inside either of our TDI's.
  • I'm new here too. so new I can't figure out how to make a new thread.

No biggie, here's my situation . . .

we bought a 2006 vw jetta tdi. fuel mileage is averaging 34-36 mpg. there is soot all over the rear end of the car. a 2004 gets 45-50 mpg with no soot. This isn't right, what's wrong with our car?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    You did not say whether your 34-36 mpg is for combined, city, or highway driving. You also did not mention if you have the 5-speed manual or the 6-speed DSG. But comparing a 2006 Jetta TDI with a 2004 Jetta TDI is an apples/oranges exercise. The 2006 is 9% heavier, has a 1.9 liter engine that puts out 14% more torque than the 1.9 liter engine in the 2004, and has exterior and interior dimensions more similar to a 2004 Passat than a 2004 Jetta. The 2004 was a nice little economy box, but the 2006 is a well rounded sedan. The EPA rated the 2006 Jetta TDI DSG as getting 7% less fuel mileage than a 2004 automatic and 14% less than a 2004 manual. With 18,000 miles on our 2006 DSG, we're getting 42-47 MPG in freeway driving (55-80 mph)and 36-40 mpg in city driving. That beats our 2004 Passat TDI with the 2.0 liter engine.

The only time I notice soot on our cars is in the winter when the air is cold and humid. Of, course, that's when gassers' rear ends get covered with soot, too. You may try flooring it a few times to blow out any carbon build up in the intake manifold and turbo. Your exhaust smoke should be light gray, not black. You may also try one of the additives, such as Stanadyne Power Formula. Fuel quality may be an issue, but it should not be anymore. If your exhaust smoke is usually black, get your car checked out at the dealer.
  • Your still under warranty! Get this checked out at the dealership immediately. I have a 2002 tdi and am getting 60mpg.(our gallon is 5/4 of a us gallon,so that works out to 50mpg us gallon. But anyway the back of your car shouldnt be sooty. Change fuel brands and see what happens.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,830
    both our 06 TDIs get about 44mpg, that's with 95% highway or suburban driving. my 03 jetta wagon 5-spd got 48 mpg with the same sort of driving...
    all of my diesels have gotten soot on the rear bumper cover both before and after ULSD. it's less with ULSD though.
    03 jetta, 05 passat, 06 New Beetle DSG, 06 jetta 5-spd. it's harder to see on the darker colors of course. maybe your 2004 was a darker color? also have you been burning 500 ppm sulfur or the ULSD 15ppm?
    i "floor" my TDI 100% of the times I drive it on highways - i think this makes it smoke lots more.
    my 06 jetta (38k miles) is malfunctioning now. heavy knock on cold start and really difficult long-cranking hot-start. dealer will figure it out next week.
    I saw a white TDI for sale too. It must suck to have a white diesel car if you hate washing cars.

I like washing cars but in s miami, we were under water restrictions for the longest time so everyone had a dirty car. I mean like black suvs that are mostly snow white...

-Cj
  • Am I able to take a 2003 Jetta TDI to California if I move there? It only has 93,000 and I hate to get ri of something that hasn't broken in completely yet.

Well, the glove compartment door is broken in. Actually, just broken. It's going to cost $275. The armrest is broken again. 2nd time - probably $100. I'll get the check engine light outed. Its been a month and 1200 miles since my last visit to the dealer so it's time for it to come on again. I'll be danged if I pay to replace the front seats again.(The first time was under warranty.) Does anyone know what all those springs laying all over the floor under the seats do anyhow? Seats seem to be fine without them.

But I don't want car payments. Can't really find anything else I'd like. Although my dealer let me drive a $55,000 BMW back to work (with sales guy along)and it was very nice. Perhaps they would do an even exchange... that way they could get rid of one of them. I sure can;t buy it.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,483
    Yes no problem! Once you get over the CA registration paperwork process, the car will be smog exempt. If it was a gasser, a smog is due at the 7 year mark and costs 55-65 and is due each 2nd year subsequently. At the 10 year mark a SMOG ONLY is due @ 80-100 dollars.

If it is a (longer)spring that fell out, it is more than likely the lumbar support spring. The dealer quoted me 600 to fix. Cetainly it is cheaper to go to the auto salvage for a used replacement. If they fell out on both seats, if it bothers you, it is actually makes sense to get new cloth Recaro seats for app the same cost.
  • Thank you, ruking! I guess I'll keep it & fix it up since the body & mechanical is perfect. It's only the plastic...
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,483
    I have the GL, so the seats do not have the lumbar adjustment. Even after mine fell off, I could tell absolutely no difference! The only real shock was when the dealer told me $600 to fix. So I tagged the spring (just in case I forget what it was for) put it on a shelf and the (front passenger) seat works just fine.