Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You have a 2005 TDI. It is very unlikely that your injectors are dirty.

If you beleive that you may have picked up a batch of dirty fuel, then your fuel-filter would have caught the crud and may be plugged up. It is not unusuall to need to replace fuelFilter due to a batch of bad fuel.

I assume that you are adding diesel-fuel additive at every fillup... this will keep your injectors, pumpe-duse pumps and other critical parts clean.

If you are NOT putting in additive at every fillup - consider it. The benifets FARRRR outweigh any percived drawbacks. It is easy to get additive at any Wallmart.

The benifets are;
    *)lubrication for your fuelpump.
    *)quieter engine.
    *)increased MPG.

Do not confuse this with snake-oil GASOLINE additives. The diesel fuel in North America is too-low in cetane. Increasing the cetane to what VW recommends is a good thing. (Even VW recommends diesel-fuel additive!)

If, after reading the above you still insist on cleaning your injectors. Many folks have reported good results using "Lubro Moly Diesel Purge". This is NOT a "pour in the tank" product. It must be fed directly into a running engine IN PLACE of diesel fuel.
    The new 2.0L TDI is almost here. Check out this video.

51MPG with nearly 200HP and is CLEANER than a stinkin 'hybrid' for the envrinment. This is why knowledgable folks chose a TDI over one of those 'hybrid' tin-cans.

My TDI can run all day long at 70MPG with the AC on and still give me 56 MPG!
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Perhaps I overlooked it, but I heard reference to (MORE) torque, but didn't get the figure?

If it maintains the same ratio (90 hp/155# ft of torque): 200 hp/ (would yield) 344#ft of torque!!!

This would be pretty close to the diesel MB 320!! WOO HOO !
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I don't think "almost here" and that particular video is on the money.

From what I've read the 2.0 TDI coming in '08/'09 models is rated around 140hp and 235 lb-ft. Here's the latest review with an actual test drive of the new 2.0 tdi:

http://www.carpages.ca/go/roadtest/2009_volkswagen_jetta_tdi_prototype_road_test- .aspx

The sad part is the Tiguan isn't confirmed to get the 2.0 TDI yet, although there's rumors of two TDI's being offered eventually...one the 2.0 at 140hp and possibly a tuned 2.0L rated at 170hp. Or maybe the 3.0L that the Touareg is getting. Either way it looks like I'm stuck in a civic for awhile.......
  • newtsxownernewtsxowner Member Posts: 4
    I wouldn't be surprised if you got 75%. I just traded in my '04 GLS TDI for $14,500. I bought the thing for $20,000 out the door in April 2004. I could have gotten more private party, but I didn't feel like messing with all that. Good luck. I know how you feel parting with something so great (I just bought an '08 Acura TSX w/ navi). :)
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    Over here in Europe that 2.0TDi has been around for a while now, figures as you quoted, 140/235. We also get the 2.0TDi 170bhp/258lbft engine you mentioned. The new(ish) kid on the block is the latest gasser : 1.8T FSI 160bhp/184lbft that is said to be ultra-smooth, (much more so than the old 2.0 FSI), getting good reviews and will never need a cambelt change. Now that's a bonus.

Other gassers are 1.4 TSI at 168/177 and the 2.0T FSI at 197/207 or 227/231 and which appears in the Golf GTi Edition 30. Getting hard to keep up.
  • sun69devsun69dev Member Posts: 2
    Do you know where I could get a TurboCharger in the Phoenix area for less than $1030.00?
    No, but if you do a seach on www.tdi.com you can search the vendors for any current specials on turbos. If none, search for BleachedBora and I know he can give you honest help or at least a lead in.
  • hickey31hickey31 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 VW Jetta TDI that is sick. It will only rev up to about 2000 - 2100 RPM.
    When it reaches this rpm the black smoke rolls out of it (mosquito killer).
    Anyone have any suggestions for this car, it only has 248,000 mi.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Hickey
  • fireaxefireaxe Member Posts: 2
    Doe's anyone know the real reason why the 2008 Jetta TDI has been moved back to come out in October instead of March.
    I read in passing it was technical issue found in durability tests and planned corrective actions. As I recall, the VW article (press release) I read was not any more specific than that. They took this action as part of VW's constant improvement program.

VW Jetta TDI delayed until summer of ‘08
    Post a commentPosted on: November 9th, 2007
    Filed under: Hybrids & Green News, Volkswagen

If you were eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Volkswagen Jetta TDI, you may have to wait a little longer. In a memo sent to dealers this week, executive vice president Adrian Hallmark told dealerships that the Jetta TDI sedan and wagon would not be introduced in April.

The 50-state diesel by Volkswagen has been delayed from spring to late summer of 2008. Reason for the delay? Hallmark said that the delay is due to “a technical issue that was found during the later stages of durability testing.”

The Volkswagen Jetta Clean Diesel TDI will be powered by a 2.0 liter 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 140 horsepower with 235 lb-ft of torque. Volkswagen is saying that the new engine’s fuel economy and NVH will be significantly improved over the former 1.9-liter diesel engine.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/11/09/vw-jetta-tdi-delayed-until-summer-of-08/
    In Europe there has been a problem, (in 2006 ?), with the twin-mass flywheel supplied by one of the two possible suppliers. Worst-case scenario was, apparently, an engine fire but the problem is said to have given plenty of warning of impending doom. :surprise: However, one would expect that to have been solved and not be the cause of the USA launch delay. Odd.

We've had the 2.0 TDi 140bhp motor here since late 2004, so it's hardly new. There are still folk who prefer the 1.9TDi 130bhp unit, though................but there again, everyone loves something. ;)
  • hickey31hickey31 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 VW Jetta TDI that is sick. It will only rev up to about 2000 - 2100 RPM.
    When it reaches this rpm the black smoke rolls out of it (mosquito killer).
    Anyone have any suggestions for this car, it only has 248,000 mi.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Hickey
  • chuckycheesechuckycheese Member Posts: 13
    I was told by a rep from local VW dealer that there was a fire at an assembly plant, although I also hear it was a fire involving a Jetta TDI during durability testing. Who knows?
    Actually, the 2.0 TDI comes in several 'flavors' and one of them has twin turbochargers and is rated:
    147 kW (200hp) @ 4400 rpm, 400 Nm @ 2500 to 3000

The "applications" for that engine is "VW Golf, VW Touran, VW Jetta"

With that kind of torque, it would be a challange to just start off in 1st gear without spinning the tires. Wooo Hoooo!!! Bring it on!

Here is the ref. for the specs. ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_engines#140-200hp_2.0_TDI
    That sure sounds as if the turbocharger is not doing its thing. (not enough air for the injected fuel.)

Check for;
    *)clogged intake manifold.
    *)N75 valve
    *)turbocaharger vanes sticking. [VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbocharger) vanes]
    The Wikipedia listing is not totally accurate. I cannot find anywhere that the, supposed, 200bhp version of the 2.0 TDi is used in a VW-Group car - at least here in UK. Is this a factory engine or a modded one ? Also, it states that the 1.9TDi is now discontinued when it's not. It is still available in VW-Group cars in 105, 115, 130 and 160bhp versions ............... and the latter two don't even appear in the Wikipedia listing. :blush:

In short, it is a good listing but should not be taken as definitive.
    And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that hot-rod diesel to be available here in the states either. Historically, they always pitch us their left-overs anyway....which might explain less enthusiasm for diesels here....viscous circle.
    Well I think that the more these types of diesel information hit the media, the better. It is common knowledge that there are a series of forces aligned against more widespread fuel and diesel passenger vehicle fleet offerings. May I mention 12-15% (28.25 M to 35.31 M) of the passenger vehicle fleet (235.4 M) Indeed Europe would lose whatever RUG/PUG market share which they currently sell to the USA (and other markets) due to increase USA (and other markets) use of #2 diesel.

Currently after some 30 years or more, the diesel passenger vehicle fleet is less than 3% (7.062 M vehicles)

To contrast that with gassers, BMW M3 needs a 400 hp gasser V8 motor to produce 300 # ft of torque!!! Owners of course need to be SUPER careful as if driven per design, one takes the chance of (an almost exotic engine) grenading!! Care to swag what the mpg is with that motor? :)

The VW I-4, 200hp develops (430 nm) 317# ft of torque!! I am also sure that if you do not get into it, still does at least 45 mpg!!! It also weights app 500#'s less!! It is also infinitely MORE suited to USA/Canada/Mexico highway systems.
    If you are so certain about the accuracy of your info..... then PLEASE - by all means, click on the [edit] button and update the Wikipedia.

Do not forget that the power of the Wikipedia lies in the fact that anyone with the "answer" can put the details they know into it....thus making the Wikipedia a living document which tends to stay current and accurate.

At the same time, you must understand that somone put a lot of effort into making up that Wikipedia entry about VW engine options and the webpage covers engines available WORLDwide. I do not beleive that anyone suggested that the 200hp TDI would be available in North America anytime soon.

I would bet that the cost of having 2 turbochargers alone would add over $2000 to the cost of the vehicle.

HOWEVER: I know for a fact that International (Truck) has been adding 2 turbochargers to its engines for several years. This is to get the power and still meet emmissions. I know some folks that plow snow with these engines..... Plowing snow is easilly the most damanding task any truck can be asked to perform. Do not forget that not only is there a plow on the FRONT of the truck, there is also the WING plow that sticks out the side at the same time which catches the snow from the main plow and shoves it past the guardrails. Imagine plowing a foot of snow along 100s of miles of interstate highway with a dump full of salt!! (A very heavy and corrosive payload)

Does this mean that I want to plow snow with my VW TDI? - NO!.... but if subdivision of Ford (International) is putting 2 turbochargers on their diesel engines, then why not VW too?
  • glenda63glenda63 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 VW Jetta Diesel that I had to replace the battery last year when it was cold outside because the car would not start. I live in Texas and we have been having some cold mornings lately and the car is very sluggish to start. My brother in law checked the battery and it is fine. He suggested a block heater and I am asking for advice on what kind.
    Thanks
    Glenda
    Actually there are a number of things BEFORE getting a block heater. 1. Since the battery is "new" and seemingly still "fine", the first order of business would be to buy and use a battery trickle charger like "Battery Tender" ($45.?). In effect you are asking the battery to operate under the most draining conditions. To make a long story short, the battery is probably NOT getting charged back to 80% let alone 100% So you can see why the car is sluggish at starting. A block heater will NOT cure this condition 2. Read the instructions on line and then purchase and use (if applicable) a product like Power Service (diesel winter fuel treatment). Even if you keep the block hot over night, the fuel will not flow below a certain (untreated )temperature. To state the obvious again, the block heater will not cure this condition 3. So with the first two taken care of and if you still feel you need a block heater, it will be adviseable at the lower end temperatures that the products such as Power Service resolves down to. My personal SWAG is a consistent zero to -10 with wind chill around -20.
  • dieselfitter1dieselfitter1 Member Posts: 42
    Hi,from Canada! It gets cold here too! I do not have a block heater 'as such' on my jetta diesel. What it has on it is a oil pan heater.It actually is glued on with a special silicone adhesive. Although it says 'VW AUDI' on it ,it looks like it was built by temro, an american company. It keeps the oil warm or hot. There is a 'socket' machined in the cast aluminum oil pan for a heater that bolts on,but it is not used on my car. I suspect that it is for a heater that is available in Germany. That heater would be a 240 volt unit (plug ins are 240 volts in europe),hence not available here. See a VW jobber about an oil pan heater. I like the idea of keeping the oil warm. The oil gets to the moving parts a lot quicker when it's warm!! You could also inquire about a block heater as well. Extra electricity,but you could put it on a timer to turn on 3 hours before you go to work.Nothing like instant hot air for defrost!
  • glenda63glenda63 Member Posts: 2
    2002 VW Jetta Diesel- have been told that I need to change fuel filter and that there is a recall on the temp sensor.
    I though I may need a block heater for the car
    Advice please
    How cold is "cold"? Are you talking about -15F? .... or something in the 30s? (which is not very cold at all)

I see that you have already received some responses to your inquiry. Since I often start my TDI below -10F, I may be able to offer some suggestions also...

Keep in mind that the VW TDI engine STARTS just fine in very cold ambient temartures (below -15F)

Contrary to what you may have heard,... incorrect fuel may cause it to stall after awhile... but DOES NOT tend to affect STARTing. A fuel problem tends to plug up the fuelFilter after you have driven for several miles.

Here are my suggestions;

*) REPLACE YOUR FUELFILTER. It is cheep and easy to do with just a screwdriver and pair of pliers.
    *) CHECK YOUR GLOWPLUGS. It is very easy to do with an ohmmeter. (This Link will help with glowplugs.)
    *) CHECK YOUR INJECTION TIMING! The #1 reason for hard starting is the injection timing being off a bit. Setting the timing as far advanced as possible and still within spec is the very best for ease of starting and best MPG. (Mine is set there and I get up to 56MPG!)

One thing you can try that is even easier than the above items is to "double glow" the engine before starting. Wait for the GP light to go out - SHUT OFF ignition and then glow again and start the engine. HOWEVER: this should only be needed when ambient temp is well below zero Farinheit.

I use one of the famous "TDI Heater" products so I can tell you about using this too....

*) It consumes copious amounts of electricity - if you do not use a timer, it will cost you a mint to run it.
    *) You get heat from the engine significantly quicker.
    *) It is only really needed below 0 Farenheit ambient temparture.
    Contrary to what you may have heard.... there is NOT a "recall" on the engine temp. sensor. The sensor on your 2002 has been superceeded by a different partnumber.... but this is NOT a recall.

If your sensor is not GREEN in color, consider replacing it because it WILL fail. (it is a $14 part) It is pretty easy to change it too.

For clarificaiton - A "recall" is an official term which is often related to the Federal government forcing an automaker to 'fix' a problem which is deemed SAFETY related. A hard-starting engine is not a safety issue, thus it would not be subject to a "recall".

HOWEVER: A TSB (Technical Service Bulliten) is wider-encompassing and may talk about hard-starting problems.... Automakers are NOT required to even tell you about the existance of a TSB. It is up to the individual service departments to take the time to look for and find a TSB. (In my experience, many DO NOT do this)

I usually search for the recalls and TSBs against my vechicles on my own using this website. You can also use the Government website to search for recalls and TSBs.

HINT: Look for TSB# 2407-09 MAY 07 in relation to the engine temp sensor
    but if subdivision of Ford (International) is putting 2 turbochargers on their diesel engines, then why not VW too?

Well I think the highly profitable truck market can absorb the cost a little easier. That's a $6,900 option on the sticker for the Ford trucks......just a few years ago the diesels were adding about $4,000. You can chuck $2,900 onto a $45,000 vehicle a little easier than a $25,000 one.
    Good, and fair, point about updating Wiki. I am certain about my info as I was driving a 130bhp 1.9TDi until about 3 weeks ago and my local, Audi, Skoda, SEAT and VW dealers are still selling, (and taking orders for), 1.9TDi's in various guises. The current Wiki entry is a tremendous piece of work; no doubt about it. Will look at adding to the Wiki entry in due course. Thanks for reminding me of this facility.

Jaguar use a twin-turbo diesel, (the 2.7 ltr), in their outgoing S-type. It's rated at 206bhp/320lbft and Jag is a Ford company - well, for now at least. Not sure what's going into the replacement C-XF but the first cars rolled off the line today. The 2.7 diesel is regarded as amongst the very best here in Europe. Not sure if you get this in USA............but suspect not. Same engine also features heavily, (very popular), in the XJ series. :shades:

My TDi days are over, for now. Moved upscale a little with a Volvo S60 with the 2.4 ltr 185bhp/295lbft D5 I5 diesel and it's a gem. :) I know you don't get this across the pond and that's another shame. :cry:
    Actually good point about "best of breed" DIESEL engine for the comment

..."The 2.7 diesel is regarded as amongst the very best here in Europe"...

I think if you ask most vehicle consumers (even about gassers) what they consider the best engine/s in their segment, I would swag most would be quizzical at best.

I think in the USA anyway we will know that diesel has arrived when more folks start to talk as in your quote.

Right now for example we talk in terms of the best V8 being Chevrolet Corvette (LS series) , Lexus, etc.

So let us know about your new I5 turbo diesel!! All the best in your new set of wheels!
  • giselagisela Member Posts: 3
    I OWN A 06 JETTA TDI, WITH DSG, PKG 2, 14,850 MILES ON IT. LATELY I NITICED A POTENTIAL PROBLEM. WHILE DRIVING EITHER ON HIGHWAYS OR CITY I NOTICED THAT MY JETTA STARTED STUTTERING WHEN I NEED TO ECCELARATE HARDER THAN NORMAL. I NOTICED THIS PROBLEM FOR THE FIRST TIME ON A TRIP TO TN IN AUGUST, WHEN I HAD TO ECCELERATE HARDER ON THE INTERSTATE. ENGINE ACTS LIKE IT STUTTERS AND DOESN'T WANT TO SMOOTHLY ECCELARATE AT ALL. I AM ALWAYS HAVING THE VEHICLE SERVIED AT THE VW DEALER. I NEED TO BRING MY CAR TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR THE 15K SERVICE AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT MAY BE WRONG?
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    gisela, two words for ya: fuel filter. it's supposed to be swapped every 20k but sometimes can clog before 20k. i had same symptoms with my 06 jetta TDI - it had been 18k miles since previous fuel filter change and the stuttering acceleration symptoms started just after i filled a tank at questionable 500 ppm station.
  • traumagastraumagas Member Posts: 64
    I have 03 TDI jetta Wagon, I have a few questions

Timing belt was changed at 85k new Head My mileage was 48-53mpg before and Now its in the low 40s. dealer states timing is correct. How does one check timing on a TDI. I can do it on A gaser but TDI ? also whats the setting.

I asked dealer if they De-carbed Intake while head was off he said NO never have to de-carb.

Also why should I put H rated tires on a wagon that I drive at 55-70 MPH interstate
    when I can put Low rolling resistance tires that are rated Traction A temp B rated for 90 thousand miles.

Anyway thanks in advance for any info

jon
  • gtochickgtochick Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

We've had our VW Jetta Turbo Diesel for like 4 years now. It is a 2003 Wagon. I just had a few questions.

The check engine light came on two weeks ago and it was hard to start. Around that time it was around 7C (from Canada so we go by C not F) it didn't want to start very well so I brought it to the dealer where we got it and it had two bad glow plugs. Great like 200$ later on the way home. So two days after that the light comes on again. I make an appointment and I took it back today. It was the glow plug bar that connects all the glow plugs together. Or however it works. Anyways. The service guy says that they are harder to start from +7 to -2C than they would be if it was warmer or colder. Something due to the short time the plugs are on at that temperature. My question is, is that true? Or am I being fed lies? The car in the whole 4 years we've had it has never had any of the glow plugs replaced, has always been in for regular services and recalls. I think maybe there is 70,000Km's on that car.

Next is should we add something to our diesel when it gets cold out? If so what does anyone reccomend or should I just buy from the dealer?

Hoping to hear something :) :confuse:
    Does the car start ok, have good power, etc? I'm the first one to bang the "dealers suck" drum particularly when it comes to timing belts, but there's usually more symptoms than just poor mpg to a bad timing belt. That's a very dramatic change in fuel mileage. Dragging brake or even a combination of things. Check your tire pressure as dealer might have lowered it during service.

Timing a TDI requires software and manual adjustments. And talent. Find a diesel mechanic that knows TDI's and he'll be able to do it with his eyes closed.

You don't have to run H-rated tires. They tend to handle better, but if you're a conservative driver, go for a T or S rated tire and you'll get much better tire mileage and all-weather performance (typically).
  • traumagastraumagas Member Posts: 64
    Well
    The power seems okay, I bought it with 75k on it so I have nothing to compare it to
    I have read that Carbed up intake could decrease the power. I also hear that winter mix fuel and ULSD also can decrease power. I have cleaned Mass air sensor with the correct cleaner, I have ran Injector Cleaner SEAFOAM in a Half tank and Air filter is clean. The tires all have 44 psi around Using Nitrogen ( for what that is worth )

I into the area where the boost pipe clamps on seems to be about 3/4 inch of carbon in there. Seems that would need to be cleaned esp when Head was off !!!
    I have to say When the HONDA accord Diesel hit here I am going for one !!
    Why in the Heck would not the dealer De-carb the intake when they were there and able to do it is Beyond Me !!! :mad:

Jon
    To answer your question about tire ratings .... It is general practice to install tires based on the speed the vechicle CAN acheive... not on how the driver claimes he drives. This is a very basic safety rule for tires.

Since VWs are designed to run all day long at 85+ MPH on the autobahn... most tire sellers will only install H-rated or above lest they may get sued if a question arises about the suitability of the tires for that vehicle.

For example, Costco tires will not even consider selling you tires that are speed-rated below what their computer tells them about your vehicle.

The bigger question about tires is WHY THE HECK WOULD ANYONE WANT >15inch TIRES? They ride tougher, protect the rims less and are farrrrr more expensive to replace that standard-sized tires.

BTW: On my 2003 Jetta, I run Nokian WR tires.... In fact I run Nokian tires on all vehicles in the family.

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/DEFAULT.ASPX
    I have four questions, if you'd be so kind.

1. Do you notice any mpg advantage, penalty or is it neutral over oem tires? I currently have GY LS-H's

2. What kind of mileage are you getting from a set? 50,000, 60,000 on up?

3. What is the UTOQ rating for the WR? ( GY LS-H is 360)

4. Would these tires be good running in more normal higher speed desert conditions?

Observation

I looked at the specification page and the WR tires that I would use (195/65/15/ 91H )have 12.5/32nds over the usual 10/32nds.

So for example all things being equal 2.5/32nds more can be a significant advantage.
    Thought I'd jump in for a second. I switched to Nokian WR's in the 195/65 going into winter several years ago. I was very impressed at how well the Nokians handled in the dry. As for snow performance, I think you'd run out of ground clearance long before those tires would give up. Ice performance was also very good, but not like say a Blizzak which is tremendous but too compromising on dry handling for me.

I noticed no change in mpg going to the Nokians over the stock Continentals. I don't have logs in front of me, but I think I ran two sets of Continentals and around 80k switched to the Nokians. I believe the last set went on around 130k miles and at 160k when the Jetta was totaled they still looked pretty good. So 50k miles would be a fairly reasonable number and I drive aggressive. The Jetta with Nokians felt like a tank in the snow. I got in some snow with the Civic the other day and 45mph was a bit scary as I was being tossed around a lot. I was really wishing I had my Jetta back (or my truck.....lol). I don't know about desert conditions with the Nokians but they felt very good in the summer in southeast/midwest states.

However, if you don't encounter snow regularly (i try to avoid it or drive something else, but I don't want to drive my truck all winter just in case.....) I'm not sure I'd bother with Nokians. Winter or lots of wet driving really is their forte but there are other tires that perform just as good in the dry.
    Thanks for your input Sebring95 ! I am really trying to get my arms around the concept of the Nokian's. There seem to be still a few disadvantages to the Nokian's, despite the fact that almost EVERYONE I have talked with are almost universally impressed. As you and probably bpeebles probably know, there are a few more models of Nokian that would also be applicable. Besides the WR's, the i3's come to mind.

As for the main reason why one would get Nokians (snow/ice), in CA here we have a pretty schizophrenic situation. If folks are interested or will indulge me, as the explanation is probably not on topic, I can do my best to explain. If not, I can delete or so can the host.

When there is snow (where I would most likely go) in the mountains, the worst conditions require passing a so called chain control station. Now while we are required to carry chains for so called category one conditions, (just short of a blizzard white out), the realities are they will close the roads before that happens, to even snow removal equipment. Next level down, they allow snow removal equipment and if they do not have problems, would require folow on vehicles to "chain" UP except for SUV (with 4WD's). You can be required to chain up even Nokian equipped, up to dedicated snow tires. As I have indicated, they will let SUV's with 4WD with ALL SEASONS tires go ( with no chains). I can use an SUV, so have no real NEED to consider or put up to dedicated snows on the Jetta ,unless I absolutely insist on taking only IT. In addition, I would have to buy snow cables or chains. If I do not, I risk being turned back at the chain control points! The SUV also fits all the inevitable junk you have to or find yourself taking driving in snow anyway.

The Nokian dealer indicator shows the nearest to me is app 160 miles R/T . Now I know if I search, I can probably get them delivered and mounted locally. Probably the best would be continue north to Oregon and get Nokian's mounted and balanced and tax free to boot! :) But at first research they appear to sell at a premium. So given my tire history, I would be looking to a min of 100k from a set. So my take is that is probably dreaming!?

The overwhelming majority of my mileage was done on dry to DESERT dry conditions. I can almost count on one hand max two hands, how many times I have driven in a driving rain.
    Well personally, I'd stick to the SUV. You know when you go that direction it's probably going to be crappy weather. And if the cost ratio you're looking for works out to 100k.....i think it'd be a stretch. I really know zip about Nokians other tires. If I KNOW I'm going to hit snow, I drive the truck. It has A/T's and gets around better than the Jetta with Nokians. Some folks say a FWD car with snow tires is better than a 4x4 with all-seasons and I might agree to a point, particularly ice. But A/T's make quite a difference on a 4x4, surely due to deeper tread. While it doesn't give me a ticket to run crazy speeds, I have a lot more flexibility. Instead of sitting in traffic the other day I could have just crossed the median with my truck (yeah I know it's illegal, sue me) and circled back to the previous exit. But driving in TN, KY, OH, IN you never know what's going to happen so I prefer to have the car setup to handle it the best possible.
    Some of your questions were answered above. I have additional comments.

I am getting a measured 56 MPG on the Nokian WRs. This is better than I was measuring with the original Michalins... but a TDI engine takes a long time to break in and may not have been fully loosened-up by the time they wore out. Also, I run about 35PSI in my tires to get the least rolling-resistance.

I was VERY disapointed with the wear-rate of the original Michalins that came on my Jetta. Replacing them with the same tire would have been quite expensive and Michalin tires DO NOT HAVE A MILAGE WARANTEE like most other tires on the market do.

Incase you were not aware, the Nokian WR is one of the rare tires on the market which carry the SEVERE SERVICE rating. which are suitable for use in snow. These are NOT the same as "all season" tires which are not rated for use in snow.

Also, it is not obvious from reading the literature about the WR... but the "high silica" compound really means that there is microscopic powderd "sand" imbedded into the rubber. Among other benifets, this allows the tires to "bite" into ice where plain rubber tires just slide around.

If you are not concerned with snow traction, perhaps somthing other than the WR would be more suitable for your driving conditions.
    Thanks for your input bpeebles! How much did the Nokian WR's set you back? The local Costco will put on a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4's for app 120 each. Considering I have Toyo TPT's awaiting @ 60 each, that would indeed set the cost per mile driven very high. Against the GY LS-H, (110,000 miles) to get the same cost per mile driven, I would have to get 132,002- Michelin , 82,501 Toyo. The 82,501 miles seems more likely and do able.
    I beleive my Nokian WRs were about $89 each. This includes lifetime rotation and flat-repairs. (That price was about 2 years ago)

Did you ask about any "milage warantee" on those MXV4 s?

I did not mention this before but one reason I am running Nokian on all my vehicles (including 2 daughters cars) is because they HONOR their wearout warantee without questions. I used to drive a 4-wheel-drive Honda Civic which tended to EAT tires due to the full-time 4x4. Nokian must have supplied me with 3 sets of prorated tires for that car. (I never paid more than $40 for ALL FOUR tires!!)

Nokian also makes the best snow tire in the world. I once had vehicle with the Nokian "Hakkapeliitta" (studded) snowtires and it would go anywhere I pointed it. I could drive around cars which were spinning trying to get up hills.

Now, instead of having 2 sets of tires mounted on seperate rims. I just run the Nokian WR year round. (I wonder if Nokian realizes they lost a lot of snow-tire sales when they came out with the WR?)
    "Did you ask about any "milage warantee" on those MXV4 s? "

Yes. No is the answer to specific mileage warranty's for the OEM and over the counter purchases of the MXV4's. There never has been any warranty for those tires (among the other oem's) The PRIMACY (which bears the same MXV4 designation) does have a 60,000 mileage warranty.

Costco does have a boiler plate generic 2/32 in warranty in 5 years or such

http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/TIRE.pdf

Thanks to Sebring95 and you the input. On the next trip to OR, I will check out a dealer that carries these. It's nice to have a spare set of rims, so if it happens great, if it doesn't I just carried the spare set of rims for no real reason. Current online pricing seems to be app 118 each.
  • outdoordboutdoordb Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into buying a freinds 06 Jetta TDI. I hear people talking about getting 50 + mpg out of them. He getting a steady 42 mpg. His is an automatic with 26,000 miles on it ( I here the autos are rated better then the man ) How are they getting 50 +, is it reasonable to expect 50 ?
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    42MPG is reasonable. I'm driving an 02 automatic (130K) with a running average in the 40-42mpg range.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    Claims of 50+ MPG are reasonable for the previous model Jetta TDI. However, comparing a 2006 Jetta TDI with the previous model Jetta TDI is an apples/oranges exercise. The 2006 is 9% heavier, has a 1.9 liter engine that puts out 14% more torque than the previous 1.9 liter engine, and has exterior and interior dimensions more similar to a 2004 Passat than a 2004 Jetta. The EPA rated the 2006 Jetta TDI DSG as getting 7% less fuel mileage than a 2004 Jetta TDI with an automatic and 14% less than a 2004 with a manual. With 20,000 miles on our 2006 Jetta TDI with DSG, we're getting 42-47 MPG in highway driving (55-80 mph) and 36-40 mpg in city driving. 42 MPG for mixed driving sounds reasonable.
    Agree with the others. From what I've seen of the '05.5 and up models is less than the previous TDI's. I'm sure it's possible to get 50+mpg on the highway controlling your speeds, but 42mpg in a mix sounds pretty reasonable. The older style was much smaller and lighter and those model automatics were only gettting in the 40-45mpg range. The previous models with manual trannys would do well into the 45-55mpg range. So just don't get confused with the newer TDI's and the prior to '05.5 models.
  • giselagisela Member Posts: 3
    thanks so much for your tip and all your help.
    I will have a new fuel filter put in asap. gisela
  • jrs0331jrs0331 Member Posts: 1
    My engine light comes on and there is a loss of power whenever the light is on. When I hooked it up to a computer two code checks showed. 1, intake manifold flap. 2, turbo overload sensor. The mechanic that hooked it up said that with my milage,110,000, that the intake gets a little plugged with carbon buildup.