Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• malmouzamalmouza Member Posts: 141
    Try to sell a diesel car at that price next year. When Honda is coming with Accord diesel, and maybe Odyssey, and Pilote diesel. And GM may bring their own diesel from Europe. and Chrysler has already diesel product in pipeline. The MPG for all these cars will be the only selling point in the eye of the consumer plus the price. If you're buying the diesel only based on resale value, you're like those speculators in wall-street, they get burned multiple time until they are bankrupt.
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    "I still have the $27k in the bank from selling my 2005 Passat TDI. I made a $3k profit after driving the car for 13 months. Try that with any Honda."
    ============================================================This means nothing. I routinely sold my used cars for more than I bought them for used, including my Volvo 240, Dodge Dart, and Pinto.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I would disagree. If Toyota/Honda had come out with a Corolla/Civic turbo diesel, it would have TOTALLY revolutionized the small car market segment. As good as the Civic gets, (38-42 mpg) a Civic TDI @ (swag) 50 to 56 mpg is better !!!!! 32% to 33% better! .

Instead US (gasser) small car resale prices have firmed to increased !!!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    routinely sold my used cars for more than I bought them for used, including my Volvo 240, Dodge Dart, and Pinto

That is simple for anyone that knows the used car market. Try it with a new car and get back to me.
    I am sorry for my part. I just feel obligated for those that come in and see all the anti diesel rabble spewed by people that are clueless.

I am excited about the Jetta TDI. My local dealer is going to give me a call as soon as he gets the Sportwagon TDI in for test drives. Someone must have one as there is a post of 46 MPG average on the EPA fuel economy site for the automatic DSG version. That is considerably better than the 33 combined MPG from the EPA estimates. I will be watching when more folks start posting their mileage. If you can get 40-45 MPG from a station wagon what will even come close?
    Indeed I post MPG TDI and (gasser) Civic results for a "like/like" commute comparison. So in a lesser sense, what mpg a (gasser) Civic gets is really off topic. However it IS on topic as it puts it in context AND comparison: given an identical point A to B commute and AVERAGE MPG. I am probably one of the few that can give a real time/life side by side comparison. Even at that they say I HATE gassers and bias against them. I just run the commute and do the math. Go figure!? :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm here, I'm here! :)

Anytime you feel a discussion needs a host's attention, the best thing to do is email the host with the specifics of your concerns. You will always find a link to his or her (or their) profile at the top of the discussion page.

I don't host the other diesel discussion you mention, so I do encourage you to email Steve and Clair.

As for this one, you are right, it would be good if we stuck to the TDI Jetta specifically, but diesel is diesel (or else it's not) and that bears some discussion too.

If you (or anyone) feel(s) that specific posts are outside of the Membership Agreement, please email me (do not post them here) your concerns along with the post numbers and I'll be happy to review them.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Depends at lot on how many miles you drive. As for differences between the 2 cars; the Jetta will be a lots more fun to drive ; but the maintenance on VW's is expensive; and they tend to "break" more often than the Toyota's. An excellent comparative tool & source of information is the Consumers Report Annual Auto edition

The Corolla won't be as much fun to drive; but they don't "break" very often; and your maintenance costs will be less.
    Unless you drive a heck of a lot of miles & really appreciate the good road manners of the VW, the Toyota is the more practical, & economical choice.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Your post appears to be trying to say that Consumers Report subscribers are "different".

Understand the information in their statistics is not about the subscribers, but about the cars. Cars perform alike for subscribers and non-subscribers; so yes, their repiorts & statistics on durability & problems are accurate and a very good compaarative tool.
    We will just have to disagree on CR. I don't believe they get a wide enough scope to give an accurate picture. They only get the opinions of subscribers.
    You got to really want to race to pay $35k to get into this series.

An eight-race series where 30 drivers duke it out in identically-prepped Jettas based largely on the 2009 Volkwagen Jetta TDI you'll see soon in VW showrooms, the TDI Cup was created in large part to help young drivers like Kenney achieve bigger and better things in motorsport, as well as to build awareness for VW's next-generation clean diesel efforts.

Chosen after an extensive vetting process from an initial pool of some 900 candidates (only drivers age 16 to 26 are eligible), Kenny and his 29 fellow competitors in the Jetta TDI Cup are essentially a part of one big factory race team. For an initial buy in of $35,000, each driver gets his own Jetta Cup car for the season, world class instruction and support from Volkswagen factory drivers and technicians, along with other skills coaching such as the art of wooing sponsors, media relations, and fitness training.

"They give us all the basic pieces, but it's up to us to make something of it," says Kenney, an energetic, articulate teen with bright-blue eyes, blonde-streaked hair, and a race driver's prototype build.

The SCCA Pro Racing sanctioned series is modeled after Volkswagen's successful Polo Cup in Europe. Only tire pressures allowed to be adjusted and cars are swapped randomly among drivers as the season wears on. Winners receive $1000 for each race and points are awarded, with the champion scoring a cool $100,000 along with the possibility of getting an extra $150,000 if they are signed to a racing team. All drivers will likely get an SCCA pro license after the season concludes. Smack up your car bad enough though, and you will pay for damages on a sliding scale.
    Fact is, there's very little difference between the best and worst reliable vehicles on the road. And the available statistics prove that.

That is absolutely correct. VW has made giant strides to improve areas that were problematic. Our 2005 Passat TDI was flawless for the 13 month and 8000 miles we owned it. It was also the most fun to drive of all the cars I have owned. I probably wasted diesel just driving because of the sheer enjoyment. I would think the new Jetta TDI would be even better with the DSG transmission. That may be reason to buy a boring car. You would be less apt to just go out and drive for the pleasure.

I talked to the dealer in Portland that I bought the Passat from. They are not planning to charge any premium on the TDIs. I have thought of buying one and shipping it to Hawaii for our time spent there. The real problem there are all the rutted roads we drive looking at property. Clearance is always an issue with me it seems. So much easier with an SUV.

In search of the perfect vehicle.
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    Had my TDI in the shop for repairs. Mechanic disconnected battery. Radio no longer works. All I get is "MUTE" on the LCD. No mute button on the console, no mention of "mute" in the manual. Radio is a VW unit for Monsoon sound system. Anyone else had this problem? If yes, what was solution? All the dealer can tell me is "there is a problem in the unit".
    There is probably some code that has to be put in for the radio to work. It is protection against theft. When the power is taken off the radio, it cannot be used without keying in a unique code. It should be with your paper work. The dealer should be aware of that.
    We're going to take a break here to cool off. We'll be back in a bit and we'll hope (and expect) that everyone will be able to communicate more civilly and more on topic.
    Okay, assuming everyone has calmed down and taken some good deep breaths, we'll try this again. Let me remind everyone that this is NOT a general diesel topic, nor is it a Jetta TDI against the world topic.

Those who want to discuss the Jetta TDI specifically are welcome to continue. Those who want to discuss other related subjects (or non-related such as the usefulness of Consumer Reports) are invited to use the search features to find a more appropriate discussion. Feel free to email me if you need help finding one.

Lots of posts have disappeared. If you find that you have posts missing, please be aware that continued off-topic and disruptive posting will put your privileges in this topic in jeopardy.

Thank you for your cooperation in continuing with a civil and on-topic conversation.
  • rooski41rooski41 Member Posts: 6
    New guy here. I'm interested in the TDI. Anyone know when they will start arriving in dealer lots? My local dealer said they are still not sure when to expect them.
    Many dealers already have demo models on the lot. Did your dealer try to extract a deposit from you? My local dealer in San Diego told me I could order one the way I want it at MSRP and expect delivery in 90 days. Was that just hype? I don't know. We all have had a car salesman tell a big one to get a sale.
    I heard the dealer talking about the end of this month August 2008. But he did add that he would not be surprise if the first delivery happen in September 2008. From his comment, I do not think he know the exact first delivery date for the VW 2009 Jetta TDI. But I know for sure that they already sold the Demo cars.
  • rooski41rooski41 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I took the demo for a test drive. It really impressed me. My sales guys say that pre orders is a bunch of, well you know. They hear that other dealers are telling customers that they can order them one and that is just is not true.Their VW rep. said that the who gets what part is still being worked on by VW. This info was told to me on July 31. I was wondering if someone else had heard any more that I have.
    The best way to really find out is to ask them to see their ordering cue (software). The first batch is supposed to hit the dealers in later August. So for example my local dealer has four coming in. The best chance (for the August batch) is to call around/ back and see if anyone cancelled their orders, as it in effect, goes back on the market. At the time I did the test drive, 2/4 had deposits. I am sure the next two are probably spoken for. The next batch is due in September with option ordering, ie, color, sunroof, etc.
  • schloed7schloed7 Member Posts: 3
    I'm curious to know if anyone's actually taken delivery of a '09 Jetta TDI yet? Our dealer keeps telling us that they are at port, and ready for distribution to dealers. Wonder what's the hold up?
    The VW Dealers in Phoenix with the exception of N. Scottsdale VW are gouging the heck out of the new Jetta, asking $3-4k over MSRP.....they are going to screw up a great thing for themselves.
    Hopefully the buyers will balk at paying a premium over MSRP. The higher price of diesel should soften the market some. Buying at MSRP with the tax credit makes the car a decent buy. I think the dealers are like Toyota with the Prius. They see that tax credit as theirs. If people will crunch the numbers and just say NO to gougers it will be for the best. It is hard for me to understand the mentality that will pay a premium for ANY vehicle. That is money down the toilet when you go to sell. All resale is based on invoice minus depreciation.
  • dsmethurdsmethur Member Posts: 1
    I was told the same thing. MSRP, 90 to 120 days.
    I see Edmunds is reporting the 09 Jetta with a 6-speed automatic. Only a 1MPG hit. Is this actually a DSG?
    Why pay a premium for a new TDI when you can get an 04 or 05 at a decent price used? A TDI with 50-70K on it still has a lot life left (mine is 02 at 198K+).
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Well the newer models are a heckuva lot bigger than the MKIV's. I had an '00 and my only real complaint was that it was useless at hauling adults in the back seat. I could probably get by with an '06 though if I could find one that was reasonable to buy and well maintained. Prices are still out of sight on any TDI's as far as I'm concerned. Insurance paid me a ridiculous amount of money for my TDI....I can wait.
    VW 04 and 05 TDI with 70K miles are sold for as much as $17k. That's outrages, better go and order a new one for $22160 MT transmission. Or wait until the first batch of jetta hit the show room, then the price for the old jetta will drop dramatically, I have seen this before, just be patient and you'll be saving thousands of dollars in your packet.
  • hlcastelohlcastelo Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone been provided with information regarding lease rates? How residuals? IN South Florida, dealers are not saying absolutely anything about the vehicle.

REading here it appears a premium over MSRP may be the order of the day on the car is released. Maybe as gas/ diesel prices continue to decline, so will the premiums.
    I would imagine as diesel prices come down, demand will go up on these. Diesel is not likely to continue such a wide price variance to gasoline, which is a major driving force on the demand of diesel vehicles. The price gap appears to be a product of the severe spikes and lower demand for gas. Since oil has retreated, we've gone locally from an $.80 variance to $.55 in the last few days. The company I'm consulting with buys about 2 million gallons of fuel a month and we're currently paying $3.88 for our non-contract on-road diesel....and that's dropped $.47 in the last seven days. The distributor is expecting it to stabalize around $3.60 for diesel and $3.50 for gas...assuming no hurricanes or anything crazy. A $.10-.20/gallon premium for diesel makes them quite a bit more cost effective. I'm not planning on even trying to bargain for a TDI until after the first of the year.
    The price of gas is going down a lot faster than diesel, but still the difference between the gas and diesel is unchanged. Look at the data from gasbuddy web site around the country and you’ll see; on average $0.51 to more than a $1 depending on where you are; in NE the gap is around $0.95 on average. Since I know the energy market well, I will have to say there will be no changes in the price gap between the gas and diesel; the demand for diesel in USA and other countries in the world is still strong. Contrary to the gasoline demand in USA is down sharply. In July 2008, American drove 7.6 billion miles less than the same period in 2007. This figure shows how demand is affecting the gas prices in USA. The other thing is the Dollar is gaining some ground vs the EURO, and this alone will push speculators from buying Oil contracts and jacking up the price of oil. So, do not expect the price of Diesel get even close to the gasoline price. Add to that cold weather is coming and that will increase demand for Diesel for heating, then you’ll see the gap between the two fuels widen even further. The price of the Jetta Diesel will go down eventually next year, since it’s the last year for this model before the new redesigned Jetta get released. There you have it. I hope this help.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...the only thing that matters is the PERCENTAGE difference between the various fuels.

Here in SW Washington:

RUG - 3.98
    PUG - 4.20
    ULSD - 4.55

Percentage difference between RUG and ULSD: 14.3%
    Percentage difference between PUG and ULSD: 8.3%

Every TDI engine / trans combination in the VW lineup will beat the gasoline drivetrains by at least 25%-35%.

While I realize that many Americans are math-challenged, the absolute price difference between diesel and gasoline simply doesn't matter as long as the RELATIVE price difference favors diesel. Why is this concept so difficult to grasp?

And this leaves out of the discussion the great torque that the TDI engine produces - I think its driveability is superior to either of the gasoline engines in the Jetta / Golf ["Rabbit"] lineup.

I do believe that we will never see the day when diesel is lower than RUG again in this country. I wouldn't be surprised to see the price settle a few pennies above PUG. So what? Diesel would have to be 30-35% more expensive than RUG before the math would favor the gasoline VWs....and that simply isn't true, and hasn't been even in this past 9 months of irrational diesel prices.
    At app 108,500 miles, I had a anti freeze sensor code trigger. The codes were checked and reset after the $29. (retail) part was replaced.
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    I called the salesman in the L.A. area and he said that they'll be released 8/14 or 8/15 and will be ready on 8/16 to 8/18. Anyone else getting one this soon? Or, is he misinformed. I have to fly to get this one (the local dealers wanted over sticker), so I'm not booking a flight until it is in stock.
  • littlerhodylittlerhody Member Posts: 22
    I live near the place where Jettas are dropped off the ship to await transport to the dealers. Last week there were very few Jettas. This week the lot was packed. The problem was that it was hard to see the emblem in back and I could not tell if they were TDI's. I did pre-order with $100 down. MSRP (no premium added) I ordered before the IRS Tax credit decision. That was a nice surprise. Makes the car a good buy. At first I wanted a standard but after test driving the 6 speed auto not sure now. I might take whatever comes in first (otherwise I will have to wait for a future delivery). As long as it is not Mary Kay pink or something. (Asked for black since it shows off the chrome)

I hope to hear from my dealer soon.
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    only 100 down - what a thoughtful dealer. i needed 2,000 down for a loaded tdi sedan.

you were wise to consider other tdis. prices are sure to go up.
    Diesel would have to be 30-35% more expensive than RUG before the math would favor the gasoline VWs....and that simply isn't true, and hasn't been even in this past 9 months of irrational diesel prices.
    I do not know how you do the math, but Diesel is already 25% to 31% more expensive than RUG. At least here in the north east; May be in your area is not more than 20% which is the lowest in the country, but that does not make it the rules everywhere else. I stated before that Diesel is good, for highway and long distance travel, specially for someone that is always on the road, and cumulating more than 30,000 miles a year. But in stop and go traffic you're still going to get low numbers in the range of 26 MPG to 28 MPG; compare that to the hybrid that does 45 MPG to 50 MPG in city driving. Which bring me back to the question, that every one need to ask himself/herself, "What am i going to use this car for? Commuting in city traffic? Or long distance travel? How many mile I drive per years? And how much premium I will be paying? Is the resell value is good? These all are good question, that help people make a wise decision on there vehicle purchase. We are different in so many ways, that what fit one person, won't fit the other guy. Lately people look at two thing price of the vehicle and the fuel mileage. And manufacturer are now pressured to develop car that sip fuel, this will also help them meet the CAFE numbers. I think the next 4 years everybody is going to be amazed about the improvement in fuel consumption for cars. By nature people work better under pressure.
    I do not know how you do the math, but Diesel is already 25% to 31% more expensive than RUG.

In San Diego the cheapest RUG is $3.77 per gallon. Diesel is at $4.09. That is just less than 8% more expensive. For diesel to be 25% higher it would have to be selling at $5 compared to RUG at $3.77. The highest diesel sold for here was $5.19 when RUG was $4.59. That is 12% higher. I do not know of anyplace in the country that is 25% higher.

The cheapest gas in New Jersey is $3.35 per gallon with diesel at $4.03. That is 17% higher. I am sure you can find very high price diesel compared to very low priced gas to make your comparison. I only use the lowest to the lowest.

I am hopeful that VW does great with their Jetta TDI. I also hope the dealers don't gouge their customers. I think that the free service for the life of the warranty given by VW and BMW is a smart move. Hopefully the others follow suit. Toyota has very high service charges.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...I don't want to get into another extended debate with you-know-who.

Fuel prices on the West Coast, as noted by my post and Gagrice, make the TDI an easy choice, assuming of course you can find the car you want at the price you want.

That should be a lot easier 6 months from now than it is at the moment.

You don't have to drive 30k miles a year for this choice to make sense. I remain puzzled why this is not obvious to everybody with a calculator, but what do I know?
    ...I don't want to get into another extended debate with you-know-who. "...

It is really no debate, so no worries. It goes from fantasy assumptions, facts, math, to fantasy opinion, regardless of the assumptions, facts and math. Am I looking for agreement? Heavens no !/? I am just fine with fantasy opinions, if the assumptions, facts and math are understood and/or acknowledged. Post # 2194 is just the latest example. The post #2195 in response to the fantasies will either be ignored or summarily dismissed outright.
    I'm going to try this again: malmouza, agree to disagree and move on. Everyone here knows your views. You are no more likely to convince anyone to change his mind than anyone else is likely to change yours. Continuing this argument is disruptive and needs to stop.

To everyone, before we get into it again here, let me just remind you that if you had posts removed in the last argument that occurred in here then you are on notice that repeated disruption will put your posting privileges in jeopardy.

I appreciate everyone's cooperation in refusing to get engaged in another food fight. Or fuel fight, as it were.
    I do not expect any agreement from anybody, I am just reporting the fact as I see them. But since people get offended about those comments I am going to restrict my posting to the 2009 VW TDI. By the way anybody took delivery of its order?? I have been told that the first delivery in my area will be early September. West cost may receive the 2009 jetta TDI a lot sooner than East cost.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Firstly- in looking for a more fuel efficient vehicle (more on principle than saving $$) there aren't too many choices that will meet my needs. Either a Prius or the Jetta TDI. I'll agree that the Prius gets a bit better mileage and will perhaps cost less in the long run, but I'm not sure that $10/week is enough for me to care about. (nothing compared to my wife's home decorating habit).

I finally went to the dealer and took a test drive. Nothing new here- but I'll give my impression.

1. External styling: OK. Just OK. Nothing eye catching, but better looking than a Prius.
    2. Interior: Excellent. Fake leather reeks of high quality. Seats are much more supportive and comfortable. Everything feels good. Style is functional and simple. Prius loses here- from the seat fabric, to the non-intuitive controls.
    3. Power: Low end torque is WOW. Fun car to drive. Bests the Prius handily. The only fun thing about driving the Prius is watching the mpg display.
    4. Options: Prius wins. power memory seats, nav, etc.
    5. Ride: The Jetta has *farfegnugen*. The chassis is stiff, firm and modern. Solid and nimble.
    6. Handling: I don't know what the numbers say, but the Jetta feels like it handles way better than even the 'touring' version of the Prius. It has real tires, not 'low rolling resistance' skinnies. Body lean is way better controlled.
    7. Room. I was pretty impressed. Plenty of rear seat room, and a good sized trunk. the fold down rear seats will be very handy. Everything operated easily.
    8. Image. You'll get more applause from the Sierra Club (I'm a member) driving a hybrid. Perhaps unless you run biodiesel?

Dealer said $500 refundable deposit to get put on the list. We'd be number 5 for the sedan and 6 for the sportwagen (which we like). Selling at MSRP. Doesn't know what's comining in or what will be available. Said that 12,000 will be shipped to the US for '09 model year.

I want one.
    I do not know about the wagon but the sedan has a cramped rear seat. Leg room in the back seat are restricted, and it get worse if the front seat is pushed far back. I am 6 footer, and I do not like driving and hitting my knees against the steering, that’s why I always push the seat far away in the back. I am talking from experience, I own the Jetta. Another thing if you have ever travelled in the 2006 Jetta not as driver but as passenger in the back seat; it’s uncomfortable after 1 hour drive. The back of the seat is like 90 degree with seat, they are not inclined enough like some other midsize cars. And there is not enough headroom for the front seat especially with moon roof. But the cabin is quiet at highway speed for the 2009 TDI, assuming you keep the RPM low, once you try to pass and downshift, the noise get inside the cabin, but remember this is not a V6 engine this I4 turbo diesel, and it is expected to have these kind of criteria. I forgot the Trunk is big enough to swallow 3 suitcases and some, but the opening is a little narrow for odd objects. The exterior of the car, I agree with you, won’t turn any head, unless you paint the car pink.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I guess it's all in your perspective mal. I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'2". She sat behind me and commented that there was plenty of leg room for her. As you might suspect- we don't have headroom issues either. Even when I raised the seat (a nice option) I guess we're just lucky, as we fit comfortably in the Jetta.

Sounds like you need a different vehicle.

Oh, the wagon has the same rear leg room as the sedan.
  • waruss61waruss61 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone point me toward a dealer selling this car for MSRP?

I refuse to pay $15 to check a bag or pay $5 for a Coke on a plane. I asked the dealer if they made money selling at MSRP, and he replied "yes". They just want to make all they can off of people willing to pay more. It's like a scalper outside of a Rolling Stones concert. I hope they get what they deserve in the long run. I won't come to them to buy a car in the future. $3000 is enough to buy Diesel for 2 years of driving!!

Thanks, --Matt
  • adkgatoradkgator Member Posts: 1
    I took a test drive last week. I am 6' 1" and I brought my family with me. In the back I had two car seats; one was rear facing for my 1 year old, the other was a booster seat for my 6 year old. I adjusted my seat to the same type of position I do in our RX330. I had plenty of room, my six year old was directly behind me and the large rear facing car seat was behind the salesman (also 6' foot tall). The test drive was great! 4 lane road with red lights and a posted 50 mph speed limit. I drove for a full half hour. Up and down hills in Vermont, stopped at two lights, and still got 45mpg when we stopped. (I made sure to reset the running average mph before we left). With the telescopic steering, how could there be any problems with leg room? I have a 6' 4" wingspan and equally long legs....it was very confortable.
    Well, as I said I own a RUG one, and I compared to my 08 Accord, the back seat in the accord is like seating at home in sofa. There is no comparison there. But again the Jetta is considered a small midsize sedan not like the Camry or Mazda 6, or the accord. I am pretty sure the 2010 Jetta will be larger and bigger. We Americans we like our cars big, our food big, our,,, you get the idea. Seriously if you drive one of the car listed above and go back and drive the jetta is like driving some compact car. But again everyone's impression is different.
  • driverberndriverbern Member Posts: 23
    Hey Mal . . . I'm 6'1" and put about 4000 miles a month on my '06 Jetta. I do not find it cramped . . . even during some 500 and 600 mile days. You might want to look at the '54 Buick Roadmaster.
    The model you own (2001 IIRC?) is a lot smaller in the back than the current Jettas. I'm 6'4" and my old (2000) Jetta was one of the comfiest vehicles I've driven. Of course, the fact that the front seat goes back a lot further than most vehicles is a large part of that. Which also makes the back seat a kiddie land. My computer bag wouldn't fit on the floor behind my seat. But I don't typically commute with a gaggle of people anyway. The newest Jetta's are far more accommodating and similar to the pre '08 Accord. The '08 Accord is borderline a full-size car.