Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• littlerhodylittlerhody Member Posts: 22
    I purchased one of the first 2009 TDIs a month ago from a dealer in Warwick RI. I paid MSRP and there was never a mention of upcharging. Mileage is running about 39 mpg with mixed driving (65% hwy/35%city). On long trips to New Hampshire I am at about 42-44 mpg. My TDI has the 6 speed MT.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    So if you do a much greater % of stop and go driving Prius is the leader. Combo to mostly highway... almost a no brainer.

link title
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    Interesting for car shoppers. Old hat to TDI owners. Thanks for the link. :D
    Indeed.

Jetta TDI continues to OVER DELIVER in the EPA ratings department !

Prius, despite the RADICAL changes to the EPA ratings and the resulting bru ha ha, still falls short- only falling less shorter. Here is the take:

..."Results (238 City Miles)
    Prius: 44.7 mpg /// Jetta: 32 mpg
    We expected the Prius to dominate our city test, and it did. After all, the hybrid powertrain meant that every time we hit a red light or traffic snarl, the Prius would sit silently—burning absolutely no fuel. But the Prius's overall 44.7-mpg count is still about 3 mpg less than the EPA City figure of 48. And, interestingly, the Jetta TDi's 32 mpgs are exactly four mpg more than its EPA City rating. Still, it's clear that in city-only driving the Prius has no equal—except perhaps a motorcycle. On the open road? Well that's a very different story.... "...
  • rbiddrbidd Member Posts: 4
    My car is expected in next week so I can't address the mileage question, but I can tell you that I shopped several dealers in Central Connecticut and Western Mass and all were selling at list...no mark up
  • goldgary1goldgary1 Member Posts: 10
    Glad to hear other dealers are selling at MSRP. Even Ebay has a few at list.

Regarding TDI vs. Pirus, drive both then decide which is more fun to be riding in. :) In addition. TDI is for the long haul. Lets compare $4-5K battery replacement in 8-10 year time frame. Then do the math.

Regarding your 6M how do you like the shifting? I didn't find it as smooth as my outgoing Maxima, but figured I would get use to it. Not sure why VW can't build a nice smooth shifting manual.

Gary
  • jjk58jjk58 Member Posts: 3
    Here's my mileage info...

I'm a few days short of 1 month ownership. I have one of the demo cars.

My typical drive is a 25-29mile 1way commute depending on which path I take.
    the longer has about 12 miles of highway. Otherwise I vary between 25mph and 45mph typically with hills. I'm fortunate I don't have very many stops on my commute which helps the mpg. My typ is 40/60 highway/local but my local is backroads and small towns west of boston (495 to sNH area).

My first full tank was ~43mpg (some extra local errands)
    2nd full tank was ~47mpg (had some extra highway with trip to Durham).

I'm working on >48 halfway through my 3rd tank. Based on the first 2 tanks the trip computer is high by ~5% so this is a guess based on what I saw with the first 2 fill-ups. I'm hoping for 700 miles on this fill...

I'm noticing that the car is sort of immune to highs. The low torque helps to keep the mpg from dropping like I would see in my minivan.

As you might guess, I'm very happy with what I'm seeing so far. :-)

j
  • texasagstexasags Member Posts: 5
    You are claiming the world's first test of the Jetta TDI. I beg to differ.

Look here and here.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I thought everyone would be interested in this article.

New VW Jetta Diesel Tops Prius in Fuel-Economy Marathon Test
  • zukeeny1zukeeny1 Member Posts: 2
    Ther are 2 Jetta TDI'S at Demontrond Volkswagen in Houston for sale.
    One is a red w/ manual transmission, no sunroof with a sticker in the low $23K.
    The other is a gray Sport Wagon, manual transmission,panormic sunroof, unknown price. Ask for Jason @ 281-872-3985. Jason was our salesman for our Laser Blue Loyal Edition TDI back in August. Tell him Chris referred you, and he'll give me
    $ 100 for the referral.
  • shriftyshrifty Member Posts: 255
    I just purchased my TDI on Saturday for MSRP. Around 70 miles the check engine light came on. I've checked the fuel cap to make sure it is screwed on completely, and the light is still on. I am taking it back to the dealership on Monday to see what the problem could be. Has anyone else had a problem like this?
  • blundyblundy Member Posts: 15
    Not sure on the new 2009 model. On the older models, it frequently means an emissions problem. My 2002 model says check engine and it means check the EGR. Please keep us posted on what the dealer says. Thanks
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    How the hell can we spread the word if you will not put any on the dealers lots. You throw a had full to the masses, the dealers gouge the public and VW wants us/them to tell the world how great diesel is? Bight me. :mad:
    Diesel speakes for its self, it does not have to be in VW.

http://www.autonews.com/

VW taps 'zealots' to promote diesels
    Volkswagen Group of America is enlisting the help of "diesel zealots" to spread the word about its new Jetta TDI clean diesel. The 2009 Jetta TDI, which went on sale in August, has been the subject of much attention in Internet blogs and chat rooms over the past 18 months, said VW spokeswoman Jennifer Jacoby. Jacoby said VW has been monitoring the chats and openly sharing information with diesel enthusiasts so they can spread the word on the merits of clean diesel. [SUB] 12:01 am U.S. ET | Sept. 29
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I do not believe that VW cannot put pressure on their dealers to sell at MSRP. I realize they are independent. If VW wants to spread the word they need to cut off gougers at the knees. I felt the same way about Toyota and the way they gouged Prius customers. Honda may have been the worst when the Accord Hybrid came out. Dealers were selling them at $3k to $5k over MSRP. It made me happy when the car was a total flop. I have NEVER wanted a vehicle bad enough to even pay MSRP. Just not in my make-up. I put car dealers in the same bucket of crap as bankers and attorneys.
  • dragnbarondragnbaron Member Posts: 11
    Good point, Gary.
    My folks live in NH and they had a friend who used to work for a dealer (not the one in Nashua), apparently they have loads of legal issues with their customers. I would buy one from MA before i get one from NH any day, screw the sales tax. I currently have an 06 which has been great, except for the fact that i had to have the tranny replaced twice, clutch replaced twice, and the egine mounts broke in mid drive and the entire engine was replace excluding the cam.
    It seems these '09s are getting a little better mileage than mine. I currentlt live in NJ and i get 36-39 mpg city with about 10 miles of highway every day (stop and go). I took a trip to NH this past weekend and i ended up with the same, 37-39 (but keep in mind my normal speed is 80-90). Something about the diesel is just great, it held the hills like a knife on butter and didn't slow at all. The torque, even at 2k rpm in 5th gear is outstanding.
    Granted, the TDI's are a little heavier and roll much easier with all that extra front weight but if the '09s are anything like my '06 i would jump on one.
    I'm waiting to give it a little time because i'm worried this new engine exhaust recycling system may cause a shorter life in the diesels, or a higher cost to maintain.
    I'm movign to NH soon, and based on your point Gary, i will make it a point to drive from Claremont to Nashua for all my VW checkups. Thanks!
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I'm there with you. I won't pay sticker add-ons. I'd have to swallow real hard to even pay MSRP.

Speaking of Honda, back in the '80's, my wife and I were in the market for a new car. We wanted a hatchback and tried a lot of different models. The Honda dealers in Philadelphia at that time all had dealer mark-ups on the windows. I tried to deal with one and bascially got "that's the price on the window" and the salesguy walked away. So did we.

We continued trying different cars - almost bought a Mazda 323, looked at Renault(!) something or other, and finally bought a VW Golf. The car was solid, the dealer negotiated, and we ran the car for ten years and two pretty significant traffic accidents.

Just wait until Honda brings out a diesel. They'll treat buyers the same way as they did then and as they did in the early 2000's with the Oddy van.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Just got back from driving from Chicago area to Dallas area and back. Noted the price difference between the two to vary widely. Actually saw only a .10 difference at a couple of stations in southern Illinois. Many times it was just .15 to .20 difference. Biggest gap I saw was .55 and only noticed that much of a difference once. I think I even saw one instance of diesel actually being .05 cheaper! I don't have a diesel but it seems the price difference is not as great as it used to be.
    Hi blundy, this morning the Malfunction Indicator Lamp went out and went to work with no issues. When I started the car to come home, this light came on and the Glow plug light began to flash and did not go out. I called up the dealership and they said to come in right away. As I was driving, it felt as if the turbo went out on the car, I had very little power. I pulled over and they sent a flatbed to haul the car back to the dealership. I currently have 125 miles on the car.

As I find out more I will keep you posted.
    Sorry to hear of new car complications. The good thing, if it has to happen, it is best under full warranty. It also helps they seem fully motivated to make the problem go away.
    That is the best way to look at it, better to have the problems dealt with right away than to have it out of warranty and then try to fix it. I just hope this isn't the first of many. Currently I have a loaner to drive while they troubleshoot to determine exactly what is wrong with the car. I spoke with the dealership briefly today, they mentioned something about a sensor or two, nothing seriously wrong with the engine. When I get the car back I will post the full diagnosis.
  • chirishchirish Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anybody knew of a quality independent mechanic in Houston, Tx for my TDI? I do not have any current problems, but I am going on 200K and may need a few things tweaked in the next year...

Thanks!
  • repoman1repoman1 Member Posts: 64
    " I currently have an 06 which has been great, except for the fact that i had to have the tranny replaced twice, clutch replaced twice, and the egine mounts broke in mid drive and the entire engine was replace excluding the cam."

I would call a 3 year old vehicle that has had the engine, clutch and transmission replaced a lemon. How can you say this is a great car?? I'm on the waiting list for a 09 TDI Sportwagon but have serious doubts about VW's reliability. VW service and reliability always ranks near the bottom in any consumer surveys and a 2006 needing a new engine, clutch and transmission certainly give credence to VWs reliability issues.

Dealer told me last week that the TDI Sportwagon should arrive in November. I'm still on the fence and have not decided to buy it or wait another year for the Acura TSX diesel.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I share your doubts & concerns about VW quality & reliability. Hopefully you - and I - won't have to wait a full year for the TSX diesel. Don't have any specific information; but based on previous Acura introductions I think we'll see it around March or April 09.
  • pepperman1pepperman1 Member Posts: 4
    how do u hook it. i have a VW polo. i lost the keys to the car. it is at a shop right now but they say they need a special machine to program a key to the car. The key is a laser cut key with a chip inside. Do you know if you could bypass that system and start the car without programming the computer? If there is a way PLEASE let me know. If i cant find a way, the car will have to be scrapped. Im not in the US so there is no VW dealer to go to.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Polo is a hatchback smaller than Golf, so you must mean Bora (if not current model, Jetta name wasn't used until recently outside of US). While I do not have firsthand experience with VW, if it is the same key types German makers use, then you will have to contact a dealer or VW representative. Each key is paired with the car's ECU and cannot be made by anyone else. Some (BMW, for example) even limit how many keys can be mated to the ECU, so after about 8 or so, ECU has to be changed as well.

I am not sure where you are, but surely, there must be a VW dealer there. They are in just about every continent and country these days. And since Polo was never available in the US, it won't matter that you are not in the US.
  • blundyblundy Member Posts: 15
    I am not a VW mechanic so this is just a hunch and if it is in a garage, they have the capability to do the job, if they choose. It is my understanding that the ECU locks out the fuel pump if the correct key is not used. It won't start or run because it gets no fuel. Thieves cannot take the time to locate, disconnect and hot wire the fuel pump so the theft deterrant system works. Your garage may have the time.So put it on a toggle switch. You VW gearheads out there, will this work?????
    I picked up my car Wednesday night from the dealership, they said the issue was the Fuel Pump Relay was not seated properly from the factory. All mechanical and electrical components are fine, this was most likely due to human error when the car was built. Hopefully this will be the last issue for a long time. At least it was nothing too major!
    Earlier I read a post from someone asking about the mileage on the TDI. So far (I know, its early to say with only 400 miles on the odometer) I am currently averaging around 45 mpg, roughly 75% highway/ 25% city. Not running it too hard (yet), just keeping with traffic.
  • archanumarchanum Member Posts: 1
    I am currently waiting to receive a 2009 TDI Jetta, and was hoping to try and find out some things before I take delivery. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is it possible to find out what options can be set via a VAG tool for the 2009 TDI Jettas?

2. What are common issues with the TDI engine?

3. What maintenance items need to be taken care of on a TDI vs a vehicle consuming regular unleaded?

4. Is there a breakin procedure for TDI?

5. Are all gas stations that sell Diesel fuel now only selling the clean version that the new TDI engine needs?

6. How expensive is the anti-gel additive? And how often is it needed?

7. I heard there is some additive that you can add on a per tank basis to improve performance... Is this true?

All help on the questions above are welcome.
    1. The version for the VAG.com is probably still too new for it to be common knowledge. "Fix it" guru's (on www.tdi.com) for some reason seem to get a slightly faster heads up.

2. Common issues might be hard to define or cover, more than you might be interested in. One common issue is when you fill, do NOT put RUG to PUG in a D2 burner. This sounds very common sensical, but this mistake is made every day and the cure can be very expensive and complex for such a little mistake.

3. There are less maintenance items, but I am sure that is not what you wish to hear. For example there are no spark plugs to change, OCI's can go up to 30,000 miles vs the more normal 3,000 to 5,000 OCI recommendation for RUG to PUG burners, Fuel and air filters are relatively long @ 40,000 miles. (I personally do much longer)

4. Yes, there is a break in procedure (again look/search for break in, drivebiwire, in www.tdi.com) If you have any questions after reading it, I would be happy to clarify.

5. YES, the places where you would commonly buy ULSD do/ but sometimes NO and to phrase it so can be an unrealistic expectation. There is a long explanation, again if you are really interested I can drone on.

6. Power Service is sold at your local WalMart (among many others vendors). Last time I priced it it was like $15 or so per half gal. You may need it when temperatures consistently are under 20 degrees. link title The bottle has the dilution rate.

7. Yes and no.VW does NOT recommend additives. Yet if you read on they recommend one. ;) I and many other use products like Power Service, link titlePrimrose link title
    While I can document no real effect (placebo), chemically I use it for 1. lubricity 2. emulsification. IF you run into either or both of these problems the cure can be very expensive. So as a preventative measure I have used Primrose since new (110,000 miles) They normally do other things like Cetane boost,etc.
  • olive4olive4 Member Posts: 7
    Just got back from a trip to Reno and Virginia City, NV from the SF Bay Area (550 miles total over the Sierras and through the mountains to Virginia City). Made the round trip on 12.5 gallons of fuel (44mpg avg). During my daily commute I'm averaging 37mpg.
    Isn't it a hoot accelerating up LONG grades? :shades: (altitude 6,000 ft).? Coming back, (downgrade) being able to "coast" with no fuel draw? :shades:
    im in a small country in the caribbean called grenada... there is a VW dealership here and they claim they are an authorized VW dealership but they are lying. VW has no record of them. They told me to cut a copy of the key would cost $1000 US if not more... but in the end they are incompetent bums... idk my car has been there for a month... there MUST be a way around the computer but i just dont know how and the other mechanics out here are too dumb to fix it... anyone know how to rig a VW to work without going through the computer system.??????????????????????
    DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK????????????????????????

I am not a VW mechanic so this is just a hunch and if it is in a garage, they have the capability to do the job, if they choose. It is my understanding that the ECU locks out the fuel pump if the correct key is not used. It won't start or run because it gets no fuel. Thieves cannot take the time to locate, disconnect and hot wire the fuel pump so the theft deterrant system works. Your garage may have the time.So put it on a toggle switch. You VW gearheads out there, will this work?????
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    software can easily block the engine from running no matter how many toggle switches - you need a disassembler and a lot of time on your hands and good lawyers if you want to roll like that, peppermanny.
    a new key xmitter is ballpark $300 US with a duplicate of an old one being $400,
    something wacky like that. encryption is silly like that, it's a math/law-of-universe thing.
    anyway, if your mechanic is talking carribean $ instead of USA $ then the 1000$ may be exactly the same as $260 or $300 US ? Irie?
    Losing any of the security keys is a BIG mistake. Losing all your keys is going to cost you. Better get your insurance to write it off. Where did the car come from originally? That is where it will need to go. If it has a lot of miles and not very good condition. Sell it for whatever you can get. If it is a diesel ship it to the USA and someone will buy it on eBay. We got a lot of crazy folks up here.
  • drea83079drea83079 Member Posts: 3
    I noticed your post about your check engine light on 2009 TDI Jetta. I just bought the new TDI model as well, and recently had the same issue. I was driving when the light came on and then stopped, turned off the car and restarted it. That seemed to clear the light, but VW had me come in that night to check it. They have allowed me to drive it home and said there is nothing wrong with it, but wanted to have me bring it back in for a sweep of the vehicle as a precautionary measure. Then, they called and said not to bring it in since they were waiting on parts they had ordered. I am wondering if my issue is the same as yours? Would appreciate any info you have, as I am a bit worried at this point in the game.
    For the break in period, the book says:

For the first 600 miles - Do not drive faster than 3/4 of the top speed shown on the speedometer (mine says 160, so don't go above 120 mph).
    Do not use full throttle.
    Avoid high engine speeds.
    Do not tow a trailer.

From 600 - 1000 miles - Speeds can be gradually increased to the maximum vehicle speed or maximum permissible engine speed.

As for fueling stations, almost 97% that sell diesel sell ULSD.
    http://www.clean-diesel.org/pump_survey.html

The anti-gel can be found at Wal-Mart for about $17 and I think it treats up to 100 gallons (could be mistaken on the amount). Not sure if you need it or not, I guess we'll find out this winter!
    Hi drea, I was quite a bit worried myself when the light came on just under 70 miles.... I know the feeling. If it's anything like my issue, then fortunately nothing major to worry about. Which light is on? At first for me it was the MIL light (looks like an engine) then the Glow Plug System light started flashing (looks like coils) came on a day or two later. It seems odd that they said for you to keep the car while they are waiting for parts to come in, seems that you should have gotten a loaner. Do you hear/feel anything different with the car that seems out of place? I didn't at first for a few days, then when trying to drive up a hill it felt like the turbo went out and had very little power, I could barely make it up the hill.

My dealership had troubles figuring it out at first, they ended up calling VW up to troubleshoot with them. When they got my car in from the towing company, they started the car and of course no lights were on and it ran normally. Looking at the paperwork, they said:

"Performed GFF and found code set for fuel pump control circuit- sporadic. Perform diagnosis, check battery connections-check connections at SA-SB-SC. check fuses SB15-SC27-SC27 and SC2. check main ground at left front, opened vta, checked for bulletins and tech tips. diagnose as per help line. found fuel pump relay not seated/pin checked fuel pump terminals/seat relay."

Not quite sure what all that means, but that's what they said on the repair sheet. Hopefully you may find something useful from this and get your car running normally again! I have almost 1100 miles on mine now and it has been running great since.
  • drea83079drea83079 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your response. It was the glow plug light that initially came on. I brought the car into them that night, and they said it was fine to drive after checking the code stored in the car. When I spoke with the dealer tonight they said the part they were waiting on was an exhaust valve. Does not sound too major to me, but as this is my first Diesel, I really don't know what is major and what isn't. I am just relieved that is being taken care of, and hopefully it will have no future problems after this.

Thanks again for your help.
    I'm the same, this is my first diesel as well. Was the light flashing when it came on, or was it solid? Mine was flashing when I was driving, so I pulled over and called the 24 hr roadside assistance at the dealership's recommendation.

Hopefully all will be well and this will be the only trouble you have for many years to come. As someone said to me (sorry, I can't recall the name) at least it is under warranty and will be fixed.
  • littlerhodylittlerhody Member Posts: 22
    I am going to be travelling to Montreal to visit McGill with my son. Taking the new Jetta TDI. Can anyone give me the skinny on the availability of ULSD fuel in Canada.
    Thanks
    You should be good all over Canada. Same rules as here.

What is ultra low sulphur diesel fuel?
    Ultra low sulphur diesel fuel (ULSD) is fuel that contains less than 15 parts per million sulphur. It is usually used for on-road applications. Since Sept. 1, 2006, all on-road diesel fuel in Canada must be ULSD.

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/2060.aspx
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    Pal who I sold my 05 Passat TDI just had oil-chain/oil-shaft shred in stop & go highway driving. a SOLID OIL PRESSURE LIGHT (hello) was his first indication, but he didn't believe it, thought it was probably a sensor failure, so he drove it for 2 miles, then restarted it twice. :| If this was a warner-bros cartoon and he and I were both mice, I would slap him silly like those two cartoon mice. But no - the results to his ex-TDI are punishment enough.
    So a warning to B5 (04,05) Passat drivers about this double-secret non-maintenance-item - OIL PUMP CHAIN -
    The 04,05 Passat TDI requires oil pump chain/shaft inspection and maybe replacement every 75k or it is likely to shred. This is not mentioned in the manual for the car, as far as I know. TDIs are especially great cars in my experience, but here is an example of the special care and feeding a TDI requires, especially the uber-rare 04,05 Passat TDI.
  • dieselfitter1dieselfitter1 Member Posts: 42
    A light suddenly goes on! This is what I like about GAUGES. Before this lite went on,there was probably some fluctuations in oil pressure that would have shown itself on the GAUGE.

I 'lost oil pressure' once. The wire fell off of the sending unit.Reconnected,and good to go!
  • r108jr108j Member Posts: 6
    My MIL came on around 350 miles. Took it to the dealer. After keeping the car for nearly two days, here is what they had written in the sheet:
    >>>>>
    Scanned system for faults. Found code for Cylinder #4 Glow Plug circuit Q13 electrical fault (P0674). Called the Tech Line. Advised to perform guided fault finding and transmitted it to tech Line. Checked all connections, fuses etc. All OK. Advised to clear code and retest in AM. Retested next morning. Fault came back. Called Tech Line. Advised to swap 3 & 4 glow plugs and clear code and retest. Cycled key approx 10 times. No light at this time. Let car sit to cool off. Retested again. At this time the light is off. No codes have returned. Tech Line advised to release the car at this time. They advised to bring the car back if the light returns.
    >>>>>

My take: No real diagnosis here. Having enjoyed outstanding reliability from my previous Toyota, Honda, and Acura cars and suffered the pain of unreliability from a Chrysler Town & Country minivan, I have my fingers crossed and am hoping I did not make a wrong buy. The car is truly a blast to drive so perhaps that needs to be seen as the offsetting factor against any reliability issues.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Yes, it's true when you absolutely enjoy a vehicle you can put up with little issues more. What really sucks is when you buy a boring but alleged reliable appliance...and then IT has issues. I gave up buying based on reliability many years ago. But I digress.

On my prior TDI, I would get an erratic MIL every once in awhile. It was almost always a glow-plug code, yet even with the light set, the car would start perfectly fine in the dead of winter. I'd reset with my VAG and go about my business. Sometimes, just cleaning the contacts of the glow-plugs would reset the light on it's own. Therefore, I'm of the opinion that the glow-plug sensor's are just ridiculously sensitive. This happened maybe twice a year. The good news is that it's just a glow-plug so in the scheme of things not much to worry about.
    A second from this neck of the woods and winter here has been a COLD 68 degrees!? ;) GEEZ makes one crave more global warming! I had a so called slow up to temp issue and the VAG.com codes indicated either glo plugs/thermostat. It turned out a change in thermostat did the trick.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Edmunds purchased a long term tester of the new Jetta TDI. Where is the blog of what they're doing with it?
    I agree, it doesn't sound like the problem is truely fixed. Hopefully this will be the last of it for awhile, I feel the same about questioning the purchase after having problems this early on. Right now I have 1300 miles on (will be over 2000 by the weekend) and all has been good since the fuel pump relay issue I had earlier.