Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    So if you are already financially protected, what is the ... big deal? ;) Motor on !

A replacement takes about as long as a quicky lube oil change. IF a windshield replacement should be necessary, call em (provider through your insurance company) for an app at your lodging's parking lot. You are off and running the next morning !!
  • Options
    shriftyshrifty Member Posts: 255
    That would probably explain why diesels are exempt from emissions tests here in PA.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    03 TDI jetta got 48 mpg (leadfoot)
    06 TDI jetta gets 44 mpg (leadfoot)
    05 TDI passat got 37 mpg (leadfoot)

comparing mpgs 45, 50, 55 is not so impressive or interesting to me -
    the difference in cost-per-mile & total-fuel-consumed is trivial at such mpgs.
    instead let's think "order-of-magnitude: 80 mpg will get my attention as an engineer but would not be cost-effective: fuel is not expensive enough to justify 80 mpg vehicles...
  • Options
    natureboy2natureboy2 Member Posts: 7
    Got my new Jetta TDI, and love it. Best purchase ever!
    Quick question, when plugging in my iPod touch into the iPod addapter (center console - got the premium addapter), I can hear the music from the iPod but not via the speakers. I can even change the tracks via the radio system, under CD, but the sound is only coming from thr iPod itself. Is this a flaw I need to bring to the dealer to fix, or am I doing something wrong?
    Any help is appreciated
  • Options
    First, congrats on your purchase, hope it does well for you over the years! To answer your question, I believe you need to press the CD button to switch it to Aux-in which will allow your ipod to work over the car's speakers.
  • Options
    fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    Its in the owners manual.........and I got mine to work properly.
  • Options
    jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    yeah...Most people toss their owner's manual into the glove box when they purchase the car and never pull it back out until they sell their car. Some folks rely on the manual only where there is a problem.
    Just wonder how many people out there actually read the manual before operating the vehicle....
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I have never read one. I check for service schedule and that is about it. I tried looking a couple things up on my 2007 Sequoia. It was faster to google and get the answers. Hopefully Toyota put the Sequoia together better than the manual.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Hopefully Toyota put the Sequoia together better than the manual.

I wouldn't count on it. I don't know what Toyota is doing these days but it's not good. I was stuck with an '09 Corolla rental this weekend (without cruise....and had several problems) for about 600 miles and I wanted to gouge out my eyeballs. Anyone that seriously thinks a Corolla is better than a Jetta has some serious marbles rolling around in their noggin.
  • Options
    mdl3r1mdl3r1 Member Posts: 21
    I never got that problem with my iPod on the adapter. Be sure to select CD twice and it will read CD Aux. If so, sound should be out on speakers of yur car as normal.
    I'd drop by the VW dealer and have them see if theycan get it to work. If not, could be a defect or just a minor setting/glitch...buit it should work for sure...
  • Options
    I tried that and even found the owners manual. There it states that the premium iPod only works with iPods except the touch and iPhone. I have the latest 16MB iPod Touch. Has anyone else tried a iPod touch with their system and got it to work ? :confuse:
  • Options
    Looked at the manual, says it is not compatible with iPod touch systems or iPhone. Is that true? has anyone had similar results? Is there a way to bypass this?
  • Options
    Sequoia is being assembled in Princeton, IN and Corolla in Cambridge, Ont. Canada. For some reason when Japanese brands are being assembled outside of Japan the quality suffers.
  • Options
    Corollas are assembled in Cambridge, Ont. Canada. Blame the Canadians - pretty standard issue....
  • Options
    Corollas are also assembled in Fremont, CA. BUT I understand that also might change, if the enviro cons have their way. Then of course Corolla's can be foreign, US, foreign again, but counted as...domestic !!
  • Options
    No, I blame Toyota. Fit/finish was fine. Parts were low quality, seat was designed by a dwarf without access to proper padding, stuff didn't work....not the Toyota of past. With the exception of my wife's GX470....all the Toyotas I've owned have been built in the US and were great quality. I haven't been in a latest generation Toyota that really impressed me. My '06 Tundra was built in Indiana and has been terrific. I'll take a Mexican VW over a Japanese/American/Canadian Corolla any day of the week. In fact, they had Jetta's to rent but I wasn't waiting in line an hour to swap (used kiosk). Hindsight, I should have waited as my back is still sore.
  • Options
    From what I hear that (Fremont) plant is to be abandoned by Toyota later this year, It was their first joint venture in the U.S. (50/50%) with GM in the U.S. and there you have it... so I think not as much as Calif. enviro cons but rather GM's UAW...
  • Options
    I'll take Subaru Forester (assembled in Japan) anytime over VW Tdi... if it ever comes to these shores (2nd year running in Europe already) ... rumours are that it will happen 2010 or 2011.....
  • Options
    Well no, sans the economics, it would be a no brainer to consolidate other operations and continue to run the plant. However the enviro cons would continue to put major obstacles in the way of future consolidation plans and operations.

So for example, not too much farther up the road (680) in the Martinez/Benicia area, the enviro cons just effected a HUGE and major shift from FRIENDLY and close "foreign" CANADIAN oil, to not so friendly (like I needed to even say this) middle eastern and FAR foreign oil !!??

So much for:

1. helping fellow party folks (construction unionists)
    2. getting off FOREIGN oil
    3. and getting off "unfriendly foreign oil !!!!
    4. is it cheaper to ship it from the middle east or get it from Canada?

I guess there was a certain utility to the 9/11/01 action?

If you wish to goggle, it is about the Chevron plant upgrades or now lack there of.

As a contrast, how is it VW can build a BRAND new facility in Chattanoga TN cheaper and bigger and operate less expensively, vs a STANDING PLANT !!?? it is more than clear CA does NOT want the plant! This is strange in that CA is ruled by democrats.

When CA starts to dismantle the layers of guerrilla and institutional anti business war fare will they begin to even be aware of how anti business the climate and weather has evolved, let alone stand a chance of attracting the mix of businesses necessary for the healthy CA economy. Till then... the closure will be just a natural consequence.
  • Options
    As a contrast, how is it VW can build a BRAND new facility in Chattanoga TN cheaper and bigger and operate less expensively, vs a STANDING PLANT !!??

Well, that's a no brainer... cost of living between TN and CA is the culprit! Anything assembled in CA is much more expensive (in the long run) than anywhere else like TN or AL....not to mention the existing UAW contracts that GM had in Fremont.

Same goes for VW - why do you think they assemble Touaregs in Slovakia rather than Germany?
  • Options
    Thanks, you are making my point.
  • Options
    OK - I guess CA can make money (taxes) on legal medicinal plants than collecting taxes from unprofitable assembly plants - I am sure, like anywhere else, these States give pretty liberal tax breaks to manufacturers that locate and build plants in their States....
    This all is, of course, off the subject to this forum....
  • Options
    Well, yes... it is already a "PROVEN" market for .... those.... kinds of products !!???
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    To answer your question... I, for one, read from cover to cover several times.

Also, to give them somthing to do, my kids would read the owners-manual and try to find tidbids of info I was not aware of. (I constantly challange my kids to stimulate their minds.)

The center sunshade behind the rearview mirror is one item they found. Another item we found was the button on the back of the steering-wheel which turned on the backlighting of the steering-wheel controls.

Also, the owners-manual specificly warns against leaving on the rearview-mirror heaters... lest they will burn out.

I also read the shop-manual several times.... I like to pass my time reading technical manuals and books.
  • Options
    That's good - same here. Not sure which model do you have but I don't have a sun-shade behind the rear view mirror (just windshield with a darkened area) and no button on the back of the steering-wheel (no steering-wheel controls).

I read about the A/C controls for the dash A/C outlet that I replaced anyway (with a storage tray from oemplus.com) because it was fogging up my windshield from the outside.

I also read about sun visors that you can pull and extend when they are deployed against side windows.

Good tip on the outside rear view mirror's heaters - one tend to forget to switch those off....

I also read that when front wipers are turned on and gear put in reverse, the rear window wiper goes on automatically - a nice feature indeed.

Another thing found in the manual is the diagram of fuses which normally should be on the inside cover of the fuse box - not in this VW though. So I made a copy and placed it in the fuse box so that I can identify fuses when needed.

One thing I did not find there is how to remove headlight assembly - one has to remove the front bumper to get to those pesky screws that hold the assembly in. I changed OEM headlight bulbs to PIAs super bright (same wattage though) and could not replace passenger side bulb because the wire that holds the bulb in got dislocated from the grooves. It took me 3 1/2 hours to put the wire and bulb back in the other day as there is the oil filter assembly blocking the access on one side and air filter assembly on the other side. Good old Subaru Forester that I had before where changing the headlight bulbs was a breeze! Oh well....
  • Options
    Are you CERTIAN that you have to go thru all that hassle to replace headlight bulbs?

For example, on the NB (New Beetle), the ENTIRE headlight assembly just pops out of the front of the vehicle by flipping a hidden lever. Then, the assembly can be taken to the kitchen-table to replace the bulb. Taillight bulbs in VWs are likewise simple to replace once one knows the trick.

I am curious, which model do you have which seems difficult to replace headlight bulbs?
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Good tip on the outside rear view mirror's heaters - one tend to forget to switch those off....

They should turn off via a timer. If leaving them on by mistake causes them to burn out I would(like to) think the manufacturer would have built this in.
  • Options
    loosenutloosenut Member Posts: 165
    my-98 jeep grand cherokee laredo doesnt have a seprate switch-the only to control the mirror heaters-that i could find by reading the owners manual,was through the "auto" setting on the headlight switch ! hope the thermostat is working,or maybe it's already burnt?!..had to re-soder the connections in the headlight switch,as the headlights were flashing on and off while driving!..they wanted major bucks for a new one,and was glad when my little repair fixed it!,but that heated mirrir thing now has me concerned..
  • Options
    I don't know what to tell ya...except that my iPod Touch 16GB works JUST FINE in my iPod adapter...played through speakers since day one... :shades:
  • Options
    Hi all,
    I' almost due for my 10K...per manual, essentially just an oil change, filter, etc rotate tires..nothing major..same as 30 K and the 20 K includes more... same as the 40 K which is of course outisde the 36K miles included.
    My question is: anything I should know about the 10K trip to the "stealer" um, I mean, dealer? Also, is the 40K going to cost me an unjustified amount? Any alternative for it when the time comes?
    Thanks, :confuse:
  • Options
    I am sure and the local VW dealer also confirmed that the front bumper has to be removed in order to access/replace headlight assembly. I have 2009 Tdi Wagon...
    No problem with tail lights though.
  • Options
    I would make sure they put the right kind of oil in it (some dealers don't) and that they actually rotate tires (mark one or two and see if they have been rotated, when you get the car back).
    When I had my MB few years back, I got charged for filling up windshield washer, brake fluid, etc etc - but - I put a small strip of scotch tape on caps of those containers and sure enough they were not even opened to preform those tasks that I got charged for. Confronted service manager and got my money back!
    Not sure about 40K - not there yet....
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That is totally unacceptable behavior for a dealership. I would have made an appointment with the owner of the company and confronted him with this evidence. That is incompetence at best, and possible legal fraud at its worst. I would never do business with them again unless I had assurances that this would never happen to anyone who does business with them.
  • Options
    rrollntdirrollntdi Member Posts: 52
    I'm nearing the 20K maintenance visit. The dealer couldn't tell me how much the 40K visit would cost, but they showed me how much it cost for the 2006 TDI ($549). I will ask again on my next visit which should be in a month or so.
  • Options
    but they showed me how much it cost for the 2006 TDI ($549)

I wonder where they pulled that number? Nevermind, I think I know.

Folks, read your owners manual and get a quote for exactly whatever is required, not what the dealer says...recommends....or otherwise. Or even better...do the work yourself or find an indie. These cars are a breeze to work on and don't require much mainteance. I was approaching 200k miles on mine and never went to the dealer except for a couple recalls.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    $500 might be somewhere near the right price for 40k 06 TDI service if it includes the DSG service.
    For the 5 speed 06 TDI , it's closer to $100 for the 40k service: just the 10k oil change & 20k fuel filter change.
  • Options
    For me, the 10K (and 20K) services went about as smooth as could be expected, no issues with either. The 30K seems to be quite minor as well, I'll find out in about a month.

The 40K service will be the first major one, too bad it isn't covered :cry:

Looking at the maintenance schedule I picked up at the dealership, the price quoted for the 40K service is $297.70. This one basically includes oil/filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid replacements, and a number of inspections.

The 50K service should be around $109.85.
  • Options
    Looking at the same pamphlet, Oil Change/Filter and Timing Belt replacement will be $872.90.
  • Options
    I am assuming that you have the "free" 36K miles of service so your concerns start at the 40K service.

Just read the owners manual to see what is needed for the 40K service. Many of the items you can do yourself (inspect wipers...etc) You can have the rest of the work done by ANY competent VW mechanic.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 says that you DO NOT have to have a dealership do the work to maintain warantee. All you need is proof that the work was done per owners-manual. (keep receipts if you change your own oil...etc)

Also, if you do encounter problems down the road, the VW cannot claim that engine-troubles were coused by you not rotating the tires.

There is a list of knowledagable TDI mechanics on http://www.tdiclub.com/

Perhaps you would not have as many questions if you READ the owners manual, Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act and Federal emmissions warantee which all came with your car when you bought it. (by law)
  • Options
    The $549 was including the DSG fluid change. Under $300 would be great, but as far as I know the oil and filter change is about $75 and the DSG fluid is about $22 a liter. I think I priced the parts/fluids and they came to about $350 total. I believe the fuel and air filters are changed as well, but I'd have to check the manual again to be sure.

Anyone know a TDI Guru in the Metro Detroit area? I know there is one in Fowlerville, but that is about a 90 minute drive one way for me.
  • Options
    I'd have to double check on the pricing, I noticed that they had the Timing Belt change at 85K miles (not sure why), so maybe they didn't include the DSG change at 40K? When is the DSG supposed to be changed on an '09 TDI?
  • Options
    fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    They are on a timer.......gotta use em alot when its really cold out.
  • Options
    jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    Anyone know a TDI Guru in the Metro Detroit area? I know there is one in Fowlerville, but that is about a 90 minute drive one way for me.

Go here http://www.tdiclub.com/ You can find a guru and a lot more.
  • Options
    I checked the dealer's maintenance schedule, and according to it the timing belt change is at 85,000. This definately has to be for a TDI older than the 09. Does anyone know if the previous years have a timing belt/chain replacement at 85K?
  • Options
    I think that is the older TDI schedule. Replacement of the TB for the '09 is 120K according to the maintenance schedule in the manual.
  • Options
    I agree. Next time I'm in I'll have to ask if they have an updated schedule for the 09s to have an idea how much the service intervals will be.
  • Options
    Over the past year I have been receiving Service Interval reminders in my email from the dealership letting me know my XXK mileage service may be due. Funny thing, these emails have come out within a week of reaching this particular mile mark. Is this just a weird coincidence, or is there a way for them to track the mileage on the car?
  • Options
    It is uncanny, isint it? However, this is not magic and your car is not "reporting in" to the mother-ship. LOL

Over time, as you visit the service department, they know the milage and date of every visit. Using that data, it is not difficult to extrapolate dates of future occourances.
  • Options
    thammer62thammer62 Member Posts: 48
    Question folks...

According to Volkswagen the Jetta Tdi sedan and Jetta Tdi wagen have the same curb weight - how is this possible? Yet VW says 0-60 in the sedan is 8.2 while they state the wagen gets to 60 in 9.5.... what gives?

And why is the new 2010 VW Golf tdi with the same engine and less weight than the Jetta tdi sedan going to be a full second slower to 60? 9.3 is what I'm reading... (yes I know you don't buy diesels for 0-60 - I'm just asking questions here)
  • Options
    thammer62thammer62 Member Posts: 48
    Sounds like there are some TDI owners in here that have substantial miles on their new TDi's so riddle me this... What kind of mileage is everyone getting, especially in the city? What's hwy mileage going 75 or 80 mph for a good stretch? Seems like all I read are over-inflated numbers on the web of people who are extreme hypermilers that go 10 mph under the speed limit all the time, which doesn't really give a good comparison to my and the majority of Americans' driving habits. What say you, 2009 tdi owners?!?! City mpg and fast hwy mpg?