Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    I don't know what happens when '10 panoramic roof opens, but when you slide open '09 a black framed mesh wind deflector pops up to deflect bugs and wind. That was what I described as ill designed item. Maybe on '10 they took my advice and it is no longer there...
    Either way, you need some kind of a wind deflector otherwise you can have that roof open only well below 30 MPH. If you exceed that, you have to open both rear windows otherwise the wind noise combined with vortex hurts your ear drums.
    I like to have it crack open on the freeway (to the first stop like 5" to 10") with plastic wind deflector installed - that way you can have it open even when it rains and drive just about any speed. But if you had a sunroof or moonroof before, you know what I am talking about.
    I am not familiar with "cornsilk" - mine is a beige color what used to be called MB-TEX few years back on Mercedes cars.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Salesman says "The timing chain is 'no maintence'

The TDI set up however doesn not use a chain, but a 100,000 mile interval belt, that indeed will require changing. Costs for that one maintence are still unsure as the MK6's are still too new to know, but you could ask the dealer for a quote. (don't ask the $alesman)

If you get a TDI with the DSG transmisson, there is also a pretty hefty $ervice bill due on that at 40,000 miles (just after the 3 free oil changes run out.)

If you go with the stick, I think you duck that one.

At least with the new 2010's they have put the 'multi function display' buttons back on the Wagon steering wheel.

You would only have noticed VW's bizare fishnet air deflector if you had opened half the roof.
  • notquitejettanotquitejetta Member Posts: 12
    Ha-ha I didn't know that thing opened. It looked like a hard-mounted sheet of glass to me. Perhaps the salesman did't operate it since it felt like 10 below in Detroit today. I checked it out on VW's website and I see the deflector you spoke of. I can't say for sure if they've improved it but the picture on the site appears to be the mesh design. Any cabin heat issues with the large glass panel?
    VW calls the interior color "cornsilk beige" on their site. It's that really light colored beige that I too have seen on Merecedes, Saabs, or other Euro cars. I have a lot of kids so I'm afraid it may take a beating.
    Interior is OK - even with bunch of pesky kids! It's actually very durable, washable and because it has tiny holes it breathes and feels like a leather. I am quite happy with that.
    You should have no problem with cabin heat (large glass) in your area as long as you keep the interior shade mesh closed (hope he has shown you that it retracts as well). In CA/AZ/NV and FL- that's a different story! If I had a choice (and I didn't) I would not get the panoramic roof. These days you have to take what's on the car!
    What a salesman you've got - he did not show you that panoramic roof opens?
    I suggest to switch to someone who is fully familiar with the car that you want to buy or, better yet (and you are already doing it) surf the web - you will find most of the answers there - the rest (diver's/owner's input) you will find on these fine pages....
    Yeah he showed us the power shade, just not the opening glass. I worry that the roof will ultimately become a rattle and leak source in 5 or 6 years. Also, although I won't have the sun-loading probelm in Michigan, I'll be brushing snow and ice off from time to time and I'm concerned that may wear on the glass roof also, although I guess it wouldn't be any worse that all the other glass. But as you say, you have to take what they have. All I want is the Graphite Blue base with 16" wheels and black interior - may end up with White with roof and the beige interior, but it has the 16" wheels.
    "All I want is the Graphite Blue base with 16" wheels and black interior - may end up with White with roof and the beige interior, but it has the 16" wheels.

After a while, "but it has the 16" wheels" won't be much consolation if what you really wanted was a blue Wagon with a black interior.

The problem of the Pano roof is IMHO it comes bundled with some other up-market options that you would really like/need.

The ones without the 'roof' are down in the next trim line and trying to pick and choose options has been made impossible by the Car Company Bean Counters. Pretty much the same industry wide. Keeps you moving up-market and bleeding cash until you finally get the good stuff that makes owning the car for many years more comforting.
    For those who flip their cars at 3 years or less when the OEM warranty is still hanging by a thread, I guess it's easier to get rid of something you really never liked anyway.
    You're absolutely right - I know I'm better off to go for the color and interior of choice and settle for 17" wheels if needed. Plus, I average around 10 years per car, so yes I need to get what I want within reason.

Not sure about the trim levels - in general you are correct. However, dealer I visited had two Sportwagens; the blue had only one option which was the 17" wheel upgrade, while the white only the panoramic roof upgrade. The white with roof was 500 bucks less. As far as I could tell all else was equal, but I could have missed something. I'll be going back so I'll re-check the equipment list.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You Said ==> "I think VW is slowly but surely getting the message!"

I am not sure what you are trying to say... VW has had innovative NO TOOLS REQUIRED ways to access the taillights for many years.... you just need to know how to do it. There is usually an access-panel that opens-up, folds-down or pulls-free... revealing the bulb-assembly behind it. The bulb assembly pops out with a simple squeeze of a couple snaps. The eletrical plug also has a 'catch' that needs to be released.

For the 3 VWs in my family, I can have an entire rear taillight assembly removed and on the kitchen-table within 4 minutes. Then, I can use an ohmmeter to identify any bad bulbs and replace them.

As for headlights, again, there are innovative ways VW has come up with.... like with the NB (New Beetle), there is a lever which one must move and then the ENTIRE headlight assembly slides out of the front of the vehicle. This can easilly be carried to the kitchen-table to replace the bulb.
    you've said ====> I am not sure what you are trying to say.....???

Actually, I don't know what YOU are trying to say.....

If you read smdtdi's posts, you know what I am trying to say...I was responding to his/her concerns.... apparently on his model year there is no such thing as "NO TOOLS REQUIRED"... I don't know, I don't have that model year.... if you do, why don't you respond to smdtdi then?

And, as far as headlight assembly, you DO have to remove the front bumper (09 Tdi Wagon) - even authorized VW dealer confirmed that. I went through that not long ago....there is no "lever" that would release the headlight assembly on 09 Wagon..... do you know something that I or authorized VW dealer don't/doesn't not know? Let us have it!
    What an innovation indeed!
    That would not be the first documented time that a VW dealer did not seem know what they were doing. Do you really think that by being "authorized" means they are always right? If their word is all you have to go by, you may not be fully informed.

My daughter with the NB (New Beetle) told me that a shop was going to remove her bumper to replace headlight... she had to tell them that her dad (me) did it by sliding the assembly out of the front of the vehicle. She said that after some fiddling around, they found the lever that released the assembly.

I cant speak for your 09 TDI wagon specifically... but it does sound LUDRICRUS that the bumper has to be removed to replace headlight bulb.
  • sitsatsitsat Member Posts: 10
    I just took delivery of a 2010 TDI wagon two weeks ago. Averaging 39 mpg (mixed highway/city) after 2 tanks of gas. Pretty nice upgrad from my Dodge 4-wheel drive/V8 dakota, which got about 13 city/18 highway. I have the panoramic roof and they have kept the mesh deflector that pops up when you open the glass. so far wind noise has not been an issue, although at highway speeds in excess of 70 MPH I rarely have it open. I put Yakima surf-racks on the car (may switch to VW OEM racks) and I have had problems with the roof nipping the bottom of the pad that's on the rack for my boards and retracting - in other words the pinch protection on the glass door works really, really well - just the slightest touch of something and it won't close up. What I like about the new radios for 2010 are the touch screen (even without navigation) and the SDHC card below the screen, which basically overrides having to use my iphone for MP3 tunes. I got 17" wheels and protection kit (kind of useless - rubber mats and splashguards behind wheels) but no large rubberized cargo mat, which is where all my surf crap goes and I really need something weatherized. The steering wheel is multi-function and can contol all radio, blue tooth, etc. The digital display is weird and not all that useful, except for showing readout of overall mileage of range left in tank. Th diesel engine is really peppy and provides a lot of torque for such realtively low horsepower. The thing bolts off the line. The DSG transmission is pretty good, although I wish now I had gotten a manual as the auto is a bit sluggish and feels like its was designed for manual use. The clutchless manual isn't as smooth or transparent as my wife's BMW 3 series wagon, particularly getting in and out of 1-2 gear. Really happy with the car overall. Have not experienced cold weather yet (the manual says it will not start in temps colder than -10, which I could experience in the Sierras).
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    hey, i know what both of you brake-light changing/non-changing dudes are talking about.
    VW has made bulb swaps amazingly easy, including for people who can barely operate a levellor blind (hello). surely the 09 & 010 VW has these same conveniences.
    As for no-tools, decades of tendonitis and acceptance of my inner shmendrik resulted in my using a small screwdriver to pry the velcro double-secret brakelight/bulb-access-panel door.
    If anyone wants to join my class-action lawsuit for people who had to use a tool to pry the no-tools-required VW lightbulb-change-enabling velcro-door open, please contact my lawyer Gloria Allred as soon as possible.

as for removing bumper to swap headlight assembly, no surprise there -
    swapping headlight assembly is quite a different job than swapping a bulb, eh!?

Looking at the 010 TDIs, the bananarama roof would be a non-starter for me but for those who operate florist or other greenhouses in their vehicles, I can see why the 010 glass roof would be beneficial.

sitsat (sut?) , please stand in the corner wearing a diesel-coated traffic-cone-hat until you promise to always use the words "fuel" or "diesel" instead of "gas". thank you.
    ps - isn't it awesome going from a 20mpg (or 13mpg!) vehicle to a TDI!?
    pps - if you remove the roofyak you may see that it was subtracting >4 of your car's mpg at highway speeds.
    Like I've said before, before I went to the dealer, I tried to remove the 09 Jetta headlight assembly myself only to find that there are 2 (bottom) screws that hold the assembly hidden underneath the bumper. I removed the bumper (which I must say is not a big deal) and removed the headlight assembly myself.

Later, when I had my first initial check up at 600 miles, I spoke with both, technician and a service manager and they both confirmed that the bumper has to be taken off in order to access those 2 screws. Now if that is not sufficient then I don't know what is....

Therefore it is LUDRICRUS (or you perhaps meant ludicrous) and not exactly "innovative" design, don't you agree? Not everything that comes out of VW is innovative, some items are re-designed after an initial auto design - that is quite normal and all manufacturers improve their models in the second, third or consequent model releases.

I worked over 20 years with SAAB factory R&D in Trolhattan as a support technician based in Los Angeles, Calif. and that was a normal process with prototypes that they have sent over for high heat ( CA, NV, AZ) and high altitude (Colorado's Pikes Peak) testing in the U.S. with all models being properly camouflaged to avoid news media. Not all the original designs were translated into a full production models.

It may be hard, but you have to trust me on this one. I do have 09 Jetta and I have done it personally. What else can I say.....
    I have to admit Elias, you have a good sense of humor. VW, and any German for that matter, probably need a discrimination and feminist lawyer to challenge their designs once in a while.
    I lived over 30 years in Calif. where suing each other is a favorite pastime....and that is also where most car manufacturers have their design studios.
  • blundyblundy Member Posts: 15
    Speaking of changing headlights, I have a 2002 Jetta wagon. Love that mileage!. (+45)
    but the headlights appear to be yellow all the way through the plastic. I've tried polishing the lens until I think I'll go through the plastic and the plastic is still murky. Living in the forested Wisconsin area, it's tough to see deer sprinting at you with the lights on dim. Is there a way to get new lenses? This machine was a Florida car so the UV may have damaged the plastic chemically. Ideas???
    Unfortunately, there is no way around it, by polishing or any other chemicals.
    You have to replace both headlight assemblies (you always have to replace both - same with bulbs).

For your model it's should be a breeze that should not take more than 10 to 15 minutes. Not sure what is the time assigned to that procedure by VW if it's worth to have it done by them. Don't forget to align them after installation. The glass ones had 3 nipples for that chore and you could use a specialty water level gage but most plastic headlight assemblies don't have those nipples anymore. You have to point them against the garage door or any other wall that has horizontal lines and adjust them accordingly.

All plastic and rubber deteriorate with age no matter what brand and make. I remember we had those few years back at AZ test site with mirrors pointing sun reflection on various plastics and rubber seals (they would sit there for 1 year outdoors but they would "age" 10 years in that controlled environment). And they all deteriorated to certain degree.

Few years back, in race for improved fuel economy by reducing the weight and possible rusting, most manufacturers stopped using glass headlight assemblies and replaced them with plastic.
    Same went with rear windows on convertibles but the opposite way. They used to be plastic but, because it's a safety issue, they started to replace them with real tempered glass so that they don't "yellow" like they used to.

Prepare to spend $ 200 to $ 500 for a pair, depending on brand and OEM or aftermarket units.
    Ultraviolet sun rays are pretty pesky on that plastic.

I was just thinking the other day if putting a sunscreen blocker say 45 or so, would stop that aging process. But then again I rarely keep cars that long anyway.
  • oli1oli1 Member Posts: 33
    I haven't bought yet, I am waiting for a steal to come my way, but what I wanted to say about the wheels, isn't it better t stay with the smallest wheels possible in order to get the better ride quality and even better fuel economy. The smaller wheel tire combo will even cost you less when you need replacement.
    Yes and no. I changed my 17" (that came with the car) to 16" because to buy low profile tires later on is quite expensive. Also, low profile tires with larger rims is an overkill. Volvo did a study few years back and concluded that low profile tires don't really improve ride or cornering...
    This larger rim choice is a mystery to me. Jogo made the change to smaller rims because of the ridiculous tire prices for 17's, but my experience is only from taking out 2 identical test cars except for the rim sizes.

When I came back to the dealership I was puzzled by how rough riding the one was over the other.
    The salesman commented that he got 'a lot of that' when people drove a Jetta with 16's and then went to the 17's.

I guess If you buy one with the 17's you get used to the extra noise and jarring on rough pavement, but try one with the16" rims and you'll notice it's immediately a quieter and smother ride.

There might be a trade off somewhere in favor of the 17's but it's not in the ride or the tire prices.
    Trade off might be "visual" if anything else - some people claim the car looks better with 17" wheels - I am not one of them though....
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

That must be it, because the standard 16" VW factory rims for the Jetta are not the most attractive, but the 17's are a different spoke pattern and I think they look great. Now I think the new 2010 MK6's have gone to a better rim design in the 16's

Check out the killer rims on this Jetta!
    Cool - but not very practical ... if my German Shepherd would sniff those rims he would immediately relief himself due to immense pressure on the inner walls of his bladder.... and then, who is going to clean them with the toothbrush?
    Is this you car? If so, no offense....just trying to be funny!
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Here's the new standard 16" rims on a 2009 MK6 Jetta (for sale on eBay right now)

And no, I still have the regular boring OEM rims with the summer tires on the 06', Getting 15" steelies with Altimax winter snow tires. Lots of great looking knock on wheel covers available, will post a pix when I get them.

And jogo, I would expect that you had your German Shepard trained to only piss on Toyota wheels.
    I didn't mean buying low profile tires, I sure won't. This is working against my goal of a nice quality ride with good fuel economy. Years ago with didn't have low profile tires and we had 15" wheels.
    Actually, he is trained on Mercedes and Porsche wheels. In addition, he likes to jump up and lean his paws on driver's side windows and talk to visitors that end up in my driveway (I already got stuck with a paint job on my attorney's red Porsche's door that he scratched...). I brought him here from EU when he was 6 months old, he was supposedly to have been semi-trained (basically not gun shy - but no gun shots in my hood - at least not yet) but he likes to jump on doors - can't break that habit and have no time to fully train the pooch. Like I've said earlier to someone's post about his car being stolen and asked what alarm he should buy - my response was: get a dog!
    duly noted. dunce hat on till next fill-up! hey, 30 years of habits die hard, no? repeat after - diesel fuel, diesel fuel....anyway you cut it, it's pretty cool. and VW is showing a new concept car at the LA Auto Show (my hometown) with a diesel-electric hybrid. crazy sweet with no mirros, just cameras on both sides and rear for full 360 coverage that you view on various LCD (led?) screens inside the cabin. they say it will get 70 mpg...
    oh, and yes, the surf racks pulls down the MPG but I'm from so cal and we definitely have our priorities here!my first tank of "FUEL" had no racks on the car, so will be curious how much I am losing, although driving is not identical from tank to tank.
    You should be able to polish the headlight lenzes on your 2002 to a crystal-clear, better than new state.

I have used Crystal View headlight restorer on several VWs of that vintage with excellent success. You can pick it up at any wallmart for under $20. The "secret" to this product is that it contains a special "coating" you put on the lens after it is polished. This "coating" seals out UV rays and makes for a lifetime repair. Here is photo of my results.

If it ends up that your headlight lenses are truly beyond "fixing"... consider replacing with MUCH brighter "eCode" units. (European-spec) Here is photo-gallery of step-by-step process to install eCode headlight assemblies....and YES you need to remove bumper to replace entire headlight assembly.
  • rrollntdirrollntdi Member Posts: 52
    I just recently traded my 17" tires and wheels for a 16". I have never scraped rims or damaged my tires in over 33 years of driving on Detroit area roads. After less than a year in the 17s, I had scraped both curb side wheels. It seems that the rim protrudes over the tire and provides no grace if you graze the curb when parallel parking. It cost me $105 each to have the rims resurfaced. At around 22,500 miles, the right front tire developed a sidewall buldge and needed to be replaced. The 17" wheels/225/45R17 tires were a $450 option. I got the 16s as dealer take offs for the about the cost of two Michelin replacement tires. I feel that the ride is better and only time will tell if the Bridgestones will wear as well as the Michelins. At 20,000, they still had 7/32 on the fronts and 8/32 on the rears. The 16" tires are much less expensive to replace. With a total cost for running the 17" tires for a year at near $1000, I will never get low profile tires again.
    FYI... I believe the replacement interval for the TB was increased from 80K to 120K miles going from the '06 to the '09 TDI. I hope we get some actual costs on the 40K mile service :confuse: with the DSG trany. I'm now at 24,500. That 120K visit will be really expensive :surprise: with the TB, WP and DSG fluid change!!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Trade it in at 119,999 miles. :blush:
  • shriftyshrifty Member Posts: 255
    I am currently past due for my 40K service, I should have it done when I return home for Christmas, and will update then. I hope it isn't too high! I have an 09 with DSG.
    With 40k miles on an 09 have you ever shut off the engine? It usually takes me 4-5 year to get that many miles on a vehicle.
    40K on an 09' is worth a note explaining were you've been with that car!

Are you already 'miled' out of warranty?
    At 40K miles... your engine is almost broken-in and running at its peak-effencency. (Yes - TDIs are known to take over 40K miles to start showing good numbers during a cylinder-pressure-check)

I have a spreadsheet showing every drop of fuel pumped into my TDI... I can confirm that the MPG steadally increased over the first 40K miles.
    rocknrolltdi, your experience is shared by many drivers of non-performance cars who chose larger wheels & low-profile tires, often for 'styling' reasons.
    imho there's no upside in having performance/low-profile tires on a non-performance/sports/pony car... and you have pointed out some big downsides!
    I have a feeling this has been asked before, but at what point does the price of diesel reach before it is not economical any more vs driving a gasser?
    At noticed for a while the diesel was somewhat cheaper than gas, but today here in SoCal, I have seen it 20 cents more.
    hello ollie,
    All else being equal, the diesel model of a vehicle will get 40% or 50% better mpg than the gas engine. For Audi A3, it's 50%.
    So when the price of diesel is more than 1.5x the price of gas, that is when the fuel cost per mile is more in a diesel than for equivalent car with gas engine.
    The gas vs diesel prices vary by seasons, so the tradeoff varies changes by season.
    I drive anywhere from 35k to 60k miles per year and saved considerable $ monthly even when diesel was $5 and gas was $4 locally, especially since my gasser gets 20 mpg and diesel gets 45 mpg.
    Here in NW FL diesel fuel is just about the same as gas (plus/minus 5 cents).
    In So. Calif. (where I spent 35 years of my life) the problem is the capacity of fuel refineries to produce diesel. Most of the refineries (Long Beach and El Segundo) have a higher demand for gas. It's a supply and demand issue there.
    Here in NW Fl we get diesel from the Gulf refineries.
    In East Europe and Russia - you get it on the black market from the Army for a fraction of the cost! Been there - done that!
    Nice math, elias!
    thanks jo-go-usa !
    (ps - My driving instructor: Isaac Newton.)
    Shrifty... Over 40K miles already!! WOW that's a lot of windshield time. Please let us know what the damage is and whether you had the service done at a dealer or a TDI Guru you were able to locate.
    Gagrice... Trade in at 119,999 is always an option. Who knows what other cars will be available at that time. I was counting on the greater resale value of the TDI offsetting the maintenance costs. Only time will tell if this strategy works out the way probably all of us here hope.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    Try not to buy Diesel at major truck areas - it will be much more expensive than in residential areas - like $1 more per gallon.
    Given that I have spreadsheet for every car I own which tracks fuel-cost, I feel I can provide some real-world numbers to help answer this question.

The very best way to make this comparison is to use CPM (Cost Per Mile) . This gives a single number to make this comparison. My spreadsheet calculates CPM in realtime over the life of each vehicle.

Dodge Dakota (4.7L V8 gasoline) $0.08/mile (calculated from 1999 - 2003)
    Subaru Baja (2.5L turbo gasoline) $0.12/mile (calculated for the past 8 months)
    VW TDI (1.9L turbo diesel) $0.05/mile (calculated from 2003 to 2009)

Notice, that the Dodge truck with V8 engine appears to be pretty low.... but the TDI was measuring around $0.03/mile during that same timeframe!

I beleive my measurements tend to validate what a past appender said. Diesel would need to be about 1.5 or 2 times higher than gasoline JUST TO BREAK EVEN!!!

This does not take into account that diesel has lower maintenance costs than gasoline. There is no ignition system to break or replace sparkplugs/wires....etc.
    My experience is just the opposate of what you are saying. Most major truck-stops have lower prices for diesel than other places. It is also said that you want to buy your diesel "where it flows like wine" (sells quickly). This ensures you are getting fresh fuel...not something that has been sittin in a tank for months.

My very favorite is Flying J truckstops.
    Funny you should mention Flying J. I got the very best mileage of our 5700 mile trip with a tank full of Flying J RUG just west of Albuquerque New Mexico on Interstate 40. Must have not had much mileage robbing ethanol in it.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    I learned firsthand during this past week of 0-10F degree nights that the warnings about the TDI/DSG combination in cold weather are true. Starting is difficult because of the resistance of the DSG transmission even while in park or neutral. After the engine starts and the idle evens out, the DSG will slip or not even engage when shifted into reverse or drive. Once the ambient temperature gets above 10F, or the engine warms, the transmission operates correctly. Next time we get a cold snap, the Passat TDI with Tiptronic gets to spend the night outside.

More information is available at:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/dsg_faq.htm
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The main disadvantage is that it harder to modify, heavier, and gives slightly lower fuel economy compared to a traditional manual transmission.

It's lighter and there's less parasitic power loss. You should also notice faster shifting and better fuel economy than a slushbox.

The above was copied from the article you provided a link to(I provided the bolding). Not quite sure I understand. Is it heavier or not? I'm not sure I would take a lot of what the author says as gospel when he says the direct opposite in two paragraphs. Also, I've read several times that a good DSG will actually provide better mpg than manual tranny and doesn't the Jetta TDI EPA numbers bear that out?
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    I referenced the article in regards to cold weather starting. There is an abundance of material on the Web, including several videos on You Tube, regarding the frigid weather starting problems with the DSG that substantiate the author's explanation. I admit that I did not double check every sentence on every aspect of the DSG addressed in the article for accuracy. The author may even cheat on his wife and back into fire hydrants at night for all I know.

I could care less how much the tranny weighs. After driving our Jetta TDI for 43 months, this is the only complaint I've had about the DSG, and I would certainly buy another car with a DSG. I will be considering buying a block heater, though. And, I suggest that anyone considering buying a Jetta TDI with a DSG consider the same if parking outside in frigid weather will be a concern.