Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Paying more than MSRP for (new) Hybrids, Depreciation/Value of used Hybrids

Comments

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    See the AWESOME logic !!???!!!

NO, I do not see any usable logic in what you are saying or what the original poster is wanting to do. Changing cars every 3 years with very low mileage is senseless and a huge waste of money. Buying a used Prius at nearly the same price as a new one is even dumber. If the Prius could be had for less than a new Corolla it may have a slight bit of merit. I do not think people that drive less than 5000 miles per year need a hybrid. You are just asking for trouble. There is no good logic to paying the $3k-$10k premium for any hybrid if you are only driving a few miles per year. The only chance of recouping that premium is driving lots of miles in a short period of time. Show me how you can recoup even $3k with gas savings driving less than 5k miles per year. Use a Corolla as your example not a Hummer2.
  • Options
    some folks are desperate!! An 04 Prius with over 50k miles

You may be right. However that is, according to Edmunds, about the trade-in value for that car if it has a NAV. What is really stupid is there is a 2004 Prius with only 12k miles and 47 bidders already to $18,600. That is for a car with a salvage title. You talk about some loonie bidders. Anyone like to buy a raffle ticket for the London Bridge?
  • Options
    zacharyazacharya Member Posts: 71
    Another guy has a buy it now price for 32k. I really dislike opportunists. They take advantage of a national crisis for a few bucks. Pity....
  • Options
    sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    Didn't you just buy a hybrid?? I believe I read in one of your posts you don't drive it that often.
  • Options
    rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    "Anyone like to buy a raffle ticket for the London Bridge?"

Post it on eBay... some moron will enter a bid. (Don't forget to specifiy a $30.00 shipping charge and payment by PayPal only)
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    As Confucious once said: "Just because you fail to see the logic does not diminish the quality of said logic." ;)

Gary, I'm not talking about ANYTHING EXCEPT addressing this ONE PERSON'S needs !!

I'm Not Saying that this logic is the best, or the smartest, or the most financially sound *UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES."

But for this one case:

1. Driver only drives 4500 miles a year.
    2. Driver trades cars every 3 years.

Buying a USED CAR is ABSOLUTELY better *for this one person in this one case* and there is nothing anyone can say here that will make that statement untrue.

Firstly, he/she will NOT be paying a premium at all. The driver will be paying for a car which has an "added cost option" called an HSD electric power drive system. There is no other "comparable car" to the Prius, so it is not "paying a premium" AT ALL. It's paying for an option called "electric drive." So it's not a PREMIUM at all - it's "paying for an additional option not available on the Corolla AT ALL." It cannot be called a "premium" if it does not exist on the car you are comparing it to.

So for this buyer, the choice is clear. Buy the comparably priced, possibly Cheaper, BETTER EQUIPPED Prius, and gain 12-15 MPG for the 15,000 miles, which will translate to good money if gas prices continue to hover around $3 a gallon.

Clear as the frown on your face, Gary !! :D:D:D
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Exactly, mc. I have put a similar pencil to the number-the hybrid is a fraud. I don't believe it has staying power either unless the public is dummer than I think they are.
  • Options
    Clear as the frown on your face, Gary !!

I'm always smiling. I am following what you are saying. I got the impression this person wanted to buy a NEW car every 3 years. Maybe to have that B to B warranty. I agree that it is not very good economics. You are saying buy a used car every 3 years rather than a new one. I don't see the logic in that either. If you can afford a new car every 3 years. Why would you buy a used one. If you can only afford a used car. You should keep it as long as it is running.

The economics on driving 15k miles is pretty simple. In a Prius you will spend $900 on $3 gas. In the Corolla you will spend $1500 on gas. That is $200 per year savings in gas. Unless you can get a REAL bargain on a Prius you are going to lose money. And if people are offering $18,600 for a 2004 salvaged Prius. There is too much buying frenzy surrounding the Prius to make it a logical choice new or used.

Lastly if he wanted a used car why not keep what he has? That is the smartest & most logical thing to do for someone that drives 5k miles per year.
  • Options
    I guess if the person has the MONEY to buy either a new or used car every three years, then money is not an issue. If money is not an issue, then the Prius is better than the Corolla just because it's less boring of a car. And a gas saver to boot, meaning fewer trips to the gas station. And far less emissions - With money no object, Prius wins again for sure.

As far as emissions, at 4500 miles a year, the Prius will produce:

40% less Carbon Dioxide
    55% less Carbon Monoxide
    40% less Nitrogen Oxides
    40% less Hydrocarbons

That's significant percentagewise....
  • Options
    Usage will affect battery life, but age will be a factor as well. It may affect it even more. I'll be very interested to see how battery life will hold up in 9 years or so, regardless of mileage.
  • Options
    I'll be very interested to see how battery life will hold up in 9 years or so, regardless of mileage

That would be my criteria for long battery life. And I am not interested in unsubstantiated stories from Japan & Russia on the longevity of the hybrids. I know in Japan they do not put many miles on a car before it is recycled. That is why we import so many used Japanese engines with about 35k miles. The oldest hybrids on the road in the USA are about 6 years old. They are Insights, and there are cases of the batteries weakening to the point of not being usable. You can get away with that in a Honda, not in a Prius or other HSD type hybrid.
  • Options
    "...there are case of the batteries [of Insights] weakening to the point of not being useable. You can get away with that in a Honda..."

I'll reserve judgment on that assessment. The jury's obviously still out on that one.
  • Options
    nicholasjnicholasj Member Posts: 5
    It is all about dollars in and dollars out. If you drive enough to warrant the added up-front expense of a hybrid, and are lucky enough to get a vehicle that is trouble free; then go for it! We live in a free country where, right or wrong, people are allowed to making their own decisions based on the scenarios and variables that occur in their world. Just as we'll have people taking advantage of the cheaper prices on SUVs during the fuel chrisis, we'll have people thinking that they'll some how break even if they pay more than $5,000.00 over the sticker on a hybrid. It is called the whim of the free market society, and that is what has made this country's economy what it is today. I'll share with you a personal experience that began back in December 2003, when I signed a $500.00 check over to a local Toyota dealer here in Atlanta. After nearly 5 months of waiting, I was informed by the dealer that they would be reimbursing my money being they could not guarantee me delivery of the vehicle in a timely fashion. After contacting Toyota's National Customer Service Headquarters to make sure that it would not, in any way, effect my position on the wait list or the cost of the vehicle upon deliver; I was assigned a case number and told that everything would be handled in a professional fashion. I even pointed out that should those who had to wait until 2005 should be given a check for the difference between the two vehicles; to which Toyota issued checks to all of us who were waiting prior to March of 2004. I finally get a call in January of 2005 from a salesperson at the same dealership, indicating my name was nearing the top of the list. The new salesperson that replaced the old one then informed me that a $2,900.00 "Dealer Participation Fee" has now been added, and that I would be so fortunate to have the car at such a small markup. When I told this guy that I was well aware of "supply and demand", yet chose to stick to my guns on principal, he smugly replied, "There are those who are paying close to $6,000.00 over sticker." Then 'humbled' himself in the wake of my anger to offer a mere $1,900.00 markup, minus the $750.00 check Toyota issued me for the change in price between the 2004 and 2005 model. I refused, and demanded to speak with the dealership's customer service agent. Of course, he/she was not there, and I registered my complaint with Toyota's National Headquarters who simply replied, "Each dealership is a franchise, and therefore we have no impact on the final price..." Oddly enough, a month later I happened upon a 1990 Toyota Camry with 78,000 miles, and snapped it up for $3,750.00. Since then, I've done repairs in the neighborhood of $1,200.00 and figure the car will run easily (according to long-time owners here at Edmonds) up to 200(plus) thousand miles virtually trouble-free. The vehicle gets 35MPG, and costs me a little over six hundred dollars a year to insure. My initial outlay is far less than the Prius, and the proven technology and dependability of the Camry ensures me that I'll be far ahead of the game even if the hybrid got a consistent 50MPG with trouble-free maintenance. So why aren't people out there buying older Hondas and Toyotas that get a proven return on the initial investment? Has the world gone mad? No, we are currently experiencing a momentary lapse of reasoning thanks to the government doing its job by keeping us busy worrying about something stupid like the price of gas, while our troops are dying overseas so Halliburton can send their people in to milk Iraq dry. Please people, stop splitting hairs over cars and take a look at the real picture!
  • Options
    I love stories from people that use common sense and SMART logic. Good luck with your Camry. I am sure it will give you several more years of good service. I also hope dealers that try to screw the public get their just dues.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I was worried when I came back after my last vist and saw so many posts, but you folks are doing a good job of debating without going off the deep end (Well sometimes we get close...LOL)

Just want to remind everyone to NOT let it become personal. Nothing but trouble in that direction. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    I have posted this before, but MSRP is JUST A NUMBER people !!

If a particular supply and demand opprtunity gives a BUSINESS a chance to MAKE MORE MONEY (the goal of virtually every for-profit business in the world) then who are we to begrudge them the right to make that money? No one FORCES someone to buy ANY car, at least not legally.

If those poor, overpaid fools want to pay three to five to seven thousand dollars over the "Holy Grail" MSRP number, then more power to the dealer for getting people to do that !! Remember: every car dealership EMPLOYS people and pays people, which puts more money into the economy and reduces the unemployment lines.

The good part of selling hybrids at any price is that it gets MORE HYBRIDS on the road, which means more R&D money going into the development of future and better technology, which is better for EVERY AMERICAN !! Every one !! All of us !!

Today's hybrids will lead to tomorrow's better batteries and then to hydrogen fuel cells or whatever ends up being the next HUGE advance in vehicle efficiency.

Forget the MSRP thing - it's just a "power thing" for people to feel good about themselves that they could "bargain the dealer down" which really means nothing unless you are paying cash and have your own mechanic - the car dealer makes money on every car sold, regardless of selling price - service being the major money maker.

If someone wants to "pump their chest" because they "beat" the dealer, more power to them. But it's not that major an accomplishment, because the dealers have a monopoly, and thousands of people pay more than MSRP in the long run. If you don't think it's a monopoly, call Toyota Corporate and try to order a car direct from them. :D
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Although buying a new Honda or Toyota is a better choice than most other new marques due to their lower depreciation, the overall cost of ownership is always lower buying a good used car. In fact, trading in a vehicle which gets average mileage (whatever that is!) for a vehicle which returns excellent mileage is not an economic winner either. Calculate overall cost of ownership, not only operating costs.

If money is no object, the cost of fuel is superflous. Some people drive hybrids, not to save money, but to make a statement, e.g. Leonardo DiCaprio who drives a Prius. Obviously, he can afford to drive whatever he wants.

Buying used Honda's or Toyota's is a good thing - to a point. If you are looking at buying a 1 to 3 year old vehicle, you're better off buying a new Honda or Toyota due to their high resale value on the market. At our local dealer, I can buy a new 2006 Camry LE for less than what they're selling 2005 Camry LE's with 12K to 15K miles.
  • Options
    bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
  • Options
    bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Even at list price instead of some dealers rediculous addendum sticker a hybrid doesn't make economic sense. I had the "Hots" for a HAH. Drove it & loved it; but even at my mileage of 36,000 a year & $3.10 a gallon regular It's more expensive that an EX 4 cy w/leather when you consuider both the differences in mileage and initial cost. Too, simetime during the 150,000-175,000 miles I keep a car there is a chance I"d have to spring for a new battery. That would really make the decision a "No Brainer".
  • Options
    sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Getting back to me with the choice of a 06 Corolla or 06 Hybrid, and the low mileage each year, not to mention keeping it only 3 years, is a purly personal one. I like new cars over used, and not having someone elses problems as well. I am somewhat wasteful to be honest, and I now have a SUV, and hate the gas mileage I'm getting ( Bought it because my Dad had problems getting into a lower to the ground vehicle I had before ), and would like to get the Prius for a long run. But even though I waste money from time to time, I just cannot see paying MSRP on a new Prius. If I could get the #5 options and $500 over invoice, than I would snap it up, but that's a long shot. So I'll wait just a little while longer to see if I can get a deal ( Against hope ) on a new 06 Prius. If not, I'll take the new 06 Corolla and keep it 3 years and get the hybrid corolla then, that should not be as high as the prius.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The Toyota synergy hybrid is vastly superior to the current Honda hybrid. In the Honda the ICE and electric motors work independently, never together."

Huh? With the Honda design, the electric motor works to assist the ICE, so both are working at the same time.

I think you meant to say that the Prius allows electric and ICE to work independently?
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I can buy a new 2006 Camry LE for less than what they're selling 2005 Camry LE's with 12K to 15K miles

I wonder if they are really selling those for this much. Perhaps this is just asking price. If so it seems pretty stupid...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    Another approach would be this. Force car companies to sell inexpensive non-hybrid high fuel economy vehicles (ie Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Mazda 2, Citroen 3, all get the same fuel economy or better highway than the Prius) for around $12,000. Buy a new one. Hold the $13,000 in a CD that you saved by not buying the Prius. Tell Toyota to beat the 45 city / 55 highway mileage that the above mentioned cars get using hybrid technology. Have Toyota certify that the real-world mileage can economically justify within 5 years whatever extra cost is incurred for buying the updated Prius that tops the ICE vehicles.

It basically boils down to this. I would like to reduce CO2 emissions for community interests and conserve gasoline, however, I"M not going to pay to do it. The AUTOMOBILE companies need to absorb some responsibility also.
  • Options
    otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    Can I ask why $500 over invoice is the **magic number**? Is it because you took a look at the car and options and determined that $22,114 is the value where the car becomes "cost effective" for you?

I'm not trying to criticize your thinking here, but what if invoice price on that same car was only $20,000? would $21,000 be a bad deal?
  • Options
    It basically boils down to this. I would like to reduce CO2 emissions for community interests and conserve gasoline, however, I"M not going to pay to do it. The AUTOMOBILE companies need to absorb some responsibility also.

I think this is the attitude of many people and everyone is entitled to their opinions. I don't think it's wrong at all. at the same time, there are people who beleive it's worth the "premium" to buy a hybrid for a number of reasons. Yet those people are constantly criticized for their decisions and supposed math deficiencies. Look, I know that it costs money to buy a hybrid and on a PURE financial POV, a hybrid may not make sence in many circumstances. Could there be other reasons to buy a hybrid?

One of those reasons is a response to the last line of that quote above- that manufacturers need to bear some of the burden. When a manufacture puts money and resources into new technology instead of shareholder dividends, when they spend millions building a new plant, when they basically put their corporate neck out there to introduce a new car, is that not enough? Some people are willing to be early adopters in hybrid technology to support future investment into further developing the technology. Nobody says that YOU (naysayers) have to be an early adopter. But if hybrid technology takes off, and prices come down, you can thank companies like toyota and honda for putting up the research investment and early adopters for funding part of it. So instead of everyone pooping on hybrid buyers, why not thank them so that one day hybrids may be cheap enough for you to afford.
  • Options
    "The good part of selling hybrids at any price is that it gets MORE HYBRIDS on the road, which means more R&D money going into the development of future and better technology, which is better for EVERY AMERICAN !! Every one !! All of us !!"

Aside from what we do with the burned out batteries - hybrids on the road don't hurt us, I agree. But I'm not at all convinced that hybrids are going to be anymore popular than an Oldsmobile Diesel 10 years from now, because they don't save you nearly enough gas to pay for the added expense up front, unless you drive about 200,000 miles a year. When are 2 engines in your car better than one? I'm not convinced ever, when compared to a Corolla.
  • Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Funny thing about car buying. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Up until 2 yrs ago I never thought I'd seriously consider buying any car, let alone a Prius, for MSRP. I never did before in all the 50 plus cars I purchased thru the yrs. When I look back on the purchase of my new Prius I realize I found a car that exceeded my highest expectations. The car meets my needs explicitly. It comes with a solid warrantee. It comes with tax breaks. It comes with the highest recommendations from Car & Driver, Motor Trend and a list of countless others. It comes with a 95 plus percent of customer satisfaction. It IS a trend setter and inovative wonder for these expensive times of high gas prices. Lastly, it comes to the head of the class as a SMART, GREEN car. Lets see how to top a Prius in the years to come. The tide is changing, or haven't you noticed the numbers that are off the charts?
    Railroadjames(Hummers "R" Dummers and PRIUS FREE-US) :shades:
  • Options
    sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    $500 over Invoice is more than enough for the dealership, and not a penny more. Giving them more will give them no reason to give price breaks, knowing that there are many suckers out there that are willing to fork over more than the vehicle is worth. Have played the game once, and will never play it again. They make money no matter what, and going much higher than $500 for me is like handing in the towel to them, and they can continue keeping the price higher than it really should. Others can play the game, but not me anylonger.
  • Options
    john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    For those that can easily afford hybrids, I commend the purchase and I do appreciate the early adopters sticking out their wallet. Additionally, I commend GM for the groundwork in developing hybrids and Toyota and Honda for the successul and more sophisticated implementation. However, it's the logic of the marketing that gets a little fuzzy for me. Either the appeal is fuel economy or status. Historically, the two concepts have been mutually exclusive (ie Chevy vs Cadillac, Lexus vs Toyota). The average mpg of the luxury brand is almost always worse than the economy brand. It seems that Toyota is trying to capitalize on both fuel economy and status. The "problem" that I have is that the fuel economy of the Prius can be topped right now with an internal combustion engine simply by making the vehicle lighter. I've heard the safety argument regarding light vehicles, however, it is inevitable that the US will become more like Europe in terms of driving (lighter vehicles). To advance as a society, the focus should be on maximization of fuel economy and not to justify gluttony (ie making a 6,000 pound vehicle get 25 mpg instead of 15 mpg).
  • Options
    Why can't a hybrid Prius be many things to many people. Thats what I see in mine. Cost-wise my '04 pkg.#3 1 out the door was $21,625.00 and I get a fully loaded "green" car and economy @ 48-53 mpg's what more could I ask.
    Railroadjames (Want World Peace...Use Yer Turn-Signal) :shades:

P.S. As to additional cost of a hybrid sys., look at it as an investment in a higher resale value. Why wouldn't be there? What do you suppose the resale value is doing with Hummers, Escalades, Excursions and the like? I see 'em lined up all over the place with 4/sale signs collecting dust or going for rockbottom $$$. Two yrs ago I took the plunge, not knowing if I was going to regret my decision. Guess what? I hit the lottery. My Prius is and has been a bonanza. Just occasionally pulling into stations with fill-ups running around20-24 Dollars while the above mentioned guzzlers kill a "C-Note." I smile and they try to ignore me while spending 5 times the minutes still dumping fuel in their behemuths. Isn't it time for hybrids or the like? :)
  • Options
    $500 over Invoice is more than enough for the dealership

Ok, so the issue you have with pricing is not with toyota or whether you can recoup the hybrid premium or if the car is worth the price for the features you get. Rather the issue is with the car dealer overcharging for a car. I can understand this. Sometimes I specifically go to another vendor of a product (or don't buy at all) so that a particular vendor doesn't make money off of me- it's called the freedom to let your wallet speak and that certainly applies in your case.

Unfortunately, a prius doesn't fall into the same catagory as a lot of traditional cars. it's not the dealers keeping prius prices up, it's the consumers for the most part willing to outbid the next guy to get a car. I'm sure you already realize that you won't get your price point until demand or supply changes dramatically and this may take years which you already said you were prepared to wait.
  • Options
    it's not the dealers keeping prius prices up

You are right. Many dealers have already shown their willingness to lower the price of hybrids when the car sits on the lot a few days. If the reports are accurate, Toyota is ramping up the production of the Prius. People should have a chance to buy without all the frenzy that is now surrounding these cars. I totally agree with sr45, I will not pay MSRP or even close for a car. Any thing over invoice is money down the toilet when you go to sell. In 41 years of new car buying I have always been able to get the dealer close to invoice or below. It can be done. You just have to make them understand, that they are not the only dealer with new cars to sell.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The time has come to STOP commenting on other users, no matter how clever you think you're being. Those of you involved have been notified about why this in unacceptable. Any further posts along the same lines are simply going to be taken down. Continue this behavior and it's your access to the forums that's being put at risk.

Check the Rules Of The Road and govern your behavior accordingly.
  • Options
    hybridlover69hybridlover69 Member Posts: 12
    I paid way under MSRP before the hybrid craze arose. I traded in a Dodge Durango that was pretty reliable. I currently drive the 2nd generation Prius with all the gadgets. I love the car and my average MPG is in the high 40's. I really think many more people should consider this as a choice for their next vehicle.
  • Options
    "...it's not the dealers keeping prius prices up, it's the consumers for the most part willing to outbid the next guy to get a car."

Bingo! If consumers are stampeding in a delirious rush to pay over MSRP to make a social statement, why shouldn't car dealers laugh all the way to the bank? Streetwise economic theory: "If ya' wanna play, ya' hafta pay."
  • Options
    waltsydwaltsyd Member Posts: 1
    I just read the edmund.com article "Most Hybrid Vehicles Not as Cost-Effective as They Seem" written June 1, 2005. Based on their "true cost of 3000 mile trip" table, it showed that a hybrid would cost 8 cents a mile vs the average in the list of 18 cents a mile, accounting for gas and maintenance. I've heard that it adds $3500 to the cost of a car to make it a hybrid. Hence you break even at 35,000 miles, no? (Well, aside from the cost of the car itself).
  • Options
    What is most important to recognize is the fact that, although the Prius cost an additional $3,000 to $3.500 more than a comparable car, that is not quite all the marbles. The Prius is well equipped and inovatively styled. It has a tax break worthy of mentioning and it's one of the top "GREEN" cars one can buy to help our ecology. Then there's the solid fact that the Prius is showing great resale values so far. That being said. Whats not to love in this inovative car. By the way....No one goes buying a Prius , as a rule, without prudent thought and calculated planning. At least that was my method. I really think that the buyers of Hybrids are smart, eco-friendly, and bold enough to challenge the future with a car for that future.
    Railroadjames ;)
  • Options
    tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Gee...comparing apples and oranges (hybrid vs. motorcycle), eh? Okay, so many motorcycles don't get 67 MPG...but they don't cost anywhere near as much, take up less space out on the roads, and for the most part, are less expensive to maintain than today's hybrid automobile. A hybrid may indeed be great when it comes to fuel consumption, but it offers no more of a benefit than a non-hybrid automobile when it comes to traffic congestion...so if I were you, I wouldn't gloat so much about a hybrid's excellent fuel economy since hybrids have to deal with more than a few of the same issues non-hybrids have to deal with.
  • Options
    "saves you gas" doesn't absolutely mean "saves you money", which is what I derived from your Prius/Camry comparo post. I mean, if you really wanted to save money AND cut down on gas consumption and pollution, you'd be taking public transportation. Heck, no matter how you try to mask the negative qualities of a hybrid...it does consume gas and spew out pollutants.
  • Options
    Well, a 150K hybrid battery warranty may be all good if the original owner keeps his hybrid past the 150K mark, but doesn't mean jack squat to someone who buys a hybrid with 145K miles or so on the clock...assuming of course that the hybrid battery warranty is transferable from owner to owner. ;)

Put it this way--I personally would be hesitant to buy a hybrid still running on the original batteries and w/ an expired or near-expiring battery warranty...especially if the seller hasn't taken such into account when determining the selling price of said vehicle. Hybrid batteries may very well last 150K miles, but I seriously doubt that when they eventually do need to be replaced, the replacement cost won't be cheap...that's for sure.
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    tdoh:

"you'd be taking public transportation."

Trouble is in most places it doesn't exist. A mass transit system is pretty low on the governments priority list.

And actually you are right they current :hybrids "don't save you money". If you look at TCO there are much cheaper transportation alternatives, even in places where mass transit doesn't exist.

Then if for some unknown reason, you want to pay more than MSRP for a hybrid you exacerbate the situation.

YMMV,

MidCow
  • Options
    MidCow--I was generalizing with my "public transportation" comment; I know that not everybody lives in an area that's well-served by mass-transit. I was insinuating about how more than a few hybrid owners crow about how much money they're saving/have saved from owning a hybrid. Someone who takes public transportation would save way more money on transportation and ownership costs compared to a hybrid owner than the amount a hybrid owner would save over a non-hybrid owner.

If hybrids are worth their "weight in gold" to the point where many of these hybrid owners continually spew numbers about how much money they're saving...why would there be a need for tax breaks/credits on hybrid purchases? With all the money hybrid owners are supposedly saving from not having to spend as much money on gas...isn't that enough of a financial incentive to buy one? Apparently, some folks don't think so...hence the enticing tax breaks/credits... :lemon:
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Tdoh,

Okay thanks for explaining you statement more. I am in total agreement with you !

Have a Good Day,

MidCow
  • Options
    quote tdoh-"If hybrids are worth their "weight in gold" to the point where many of these hybrid owners continually spew numbers about how much money they're saving...why would there be a need for tax breaks/credits on hybrid purchases? With all the money hybrid owners are supposedly saving from not having to spend as much money on gas...isn't that enough of a financial incentive to buy one? Apparently, some folks don't think so...hence the enticing tax breaks/credits."-end quote

I can answer that question Alex.....:D

The reason for the tax breaks is that in general, "money talks and BS walks." People in general (the US Public) is not educated enough about hybrids (do you have to plug them in? Can you drive 300 miles? Can it go the speed limit?) to know what an awesome technology they are.

That is partly the car manufacturer's fault for not getting the information out there. One good ad campaign, expenses shared by Toyota and Honda, executed 5 years ago would have done wonders for that problem.

Another problem is that until just recently (2003) the available Hybrids were, to be kind, a little quirky and small and underpowered and very "niche" (speaking of the Insight and the original Prius.) Those cars did nothing to grab the public's attention, as they were stuck in the throes of the "Bigger, Heavier SUV to keep up with the Joneses" phase of car buying.

Another MAJOR problem is that virtually every news story you see keeps harping on "they don't pay for themselves" or "They dont get advertised MPG." Until enough people like myself and other Hybrid advocates get the CORRECT information out there to the maintstream media, that crap is going to continue to be a deterrent to sales.

Now, with gas prices up and people realizing the truth about smaller cars and how much their pocketbooks can be spared that $80 fillup, smaller cars and hybrids are making a move. Expect about 210,000 to be sold this year, as opposed to about 80,000 last year.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "quote tdoh-"If hybrids are worth their "weight in gold" to the point where many of these hybrid owners continually spew numbers about how much money they're saving...why would there be a need for tax breaks/credits on hybrid purchases? With all the money hybrid owners are supposedly saving from not having to spend as much money on gas...isn't that enough of a financial incentive to buy one? Apparently, some folks don't think so...hence the enticing tax breaks/credits."-end quote

I can answer that question Alex....."

I have to disagree. The tax credits are there because the politicians also don't understand the technology, and the fact that it was already selling quite well without incentives. They were attempting to get the auto manufacturors to make more hybrids, but what they should have done was applied the credits only to new models produced by manufacturors. That would have spurred the big 3 to put out the hybrids. Toyota and Honda didn't need any prodding to produce hybrids. Not only that, but it immediately rewards the two hybrid companies, who are building their bread-and-butter hybrids in Japan, rather than encouraging more jobs in this country. At the very least they could have stipulated US built vehicles...

Just a wast of taxpayer money, but then that is what politician$ are good at. ;)
  • Options
    Well, we can all agree that govt wastes money on a lot of "questionable" programs, right? A lot of bad ones, and some good ones, right? Can we all agree on that?

That being said:

The Hybrid tax incentive program is NOT one of the bad ones.

What it does is encourage purchase of CLEAN, highly efficient cars which in the end put fewer exhaust toxins in the air, reduce foreign fuel dependency, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

In addition, the more hybrids sold, the better the future technology will be, allowing for CLEANER cars and higher MPG, as evidenced by the 2006 HCH, which is an AT-PZEV car, the cleanest gasoline engine rating that can be given by the EPA, and which has also increased HP by 20% and fuel efficiency by 5% over the first generation HCH. That's progress, and part of that was paid for by encouraging more hybrids to be sold.

What do you think the next generation Prius might be rated? 65 MPG City, 55 Hwy probably, and will run on battery longer at probably at higher speeds. This is what the purchase of today's hybrids will bring us - better hybrids in the future.

I can't see one bad thing about any of that.
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I have no problem with a tax incentive to encourage people to buy high-mileage and/or low emissions vehicles. I do have a problem with an incentive that targets only one technology to achieve that. Why doesn't the incentive apply to a PZEV Focus which gets good mileage? Or a deisal Jetta? Lawmakers should focus on the results they want to encourage and not jump on the technology fad of the week. What's next, and incentive for iPods?
  • Options
    There are several PZEV cars, and not all of them are high mileage cars. If you incentivize them, you are only helping the clean air of the problem, not also helping in the fuel conservation area. If Ford made a PZEV that got 48 MPG, then I would agree with you, but they don't.

You know how much it would cost to make EVERY CAR a PZEV car, from the factory? About $100-$140 per car. That's it. You'd think that the govt could FORCE the car companies to do that, but the Auto Lobby is too strong. Why, that would take BILLIONS of dollars out of the stockholder's pockets, good Lord, we can't do that !! (OMG)

And the "clean diesels" that get high mileage are not "really clean" until the ULSD fuel becomes entrenched in the USA and the particulate filters are prevalent to remove the remaining soot from the exhaust. Again, incentivizing them only helps in the mileage side, not the clean air side.

Incentives for the high MPG Hybrids helps in both GHG and in fuel conservation - a double whammy for the money. That's why it's the right thing to do.
  • Options
    If Ford made a PZEV that got 48 MPG, then I would agree with you, but they don't.

The incentives are also available for some low mileage SUVs. I agree that picking on one technology because it is the fad of the month is not good. Notice how they eliminated the diesel cars? They knew none would pass the emissions with the crappy diesel in many parts of the US. Time will tell if they get a shot after ULSD is mandated Sept. 2006. Mercedes & Ford have demonstrated PZEV Diesels using good fuel.
  • Options
    quote gagrice-"I agree that picking on one technology because it is the fad of the month is not good."-end quote

I think we can all agree that Hybrids have moved far beyond "FAD" stage and are on their way to complete mainstream stardom. Notice as evidence recent comments by Ford who is going to have almost all their cars with a hybrid option by 2010, and Toyota's statement two years ago (repeated many times) that they would do that, and all the other makers who are putting hybrids on the road in the next 2-3 years. Notice the estimated 200,000 hybrids to be sold in the USA in 2005. Notice Honda into the second generation of the HCH. Notice recent Frankfurt car shows with multiple Hybrid concepts. Notice even VW saying they would make a hybrid, after poo-pooing them for years now. Notice Nissan with an Altima soon.
This discussion has been closed.