Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MAZDASPEED Mazda6

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Really? I hate the crowds. And I love the freebies they hand out on the press days. I'm too busy at work and don't have a ride this year, though, until the public days.

-juice
    Cool, congrats. Perfect area for a turbo, get that thin air a little denser while the normally aspirated engines are wheezing.

-juice
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    this might be a stupid question but i was just wondering if there is gonna be a 2007 speed6 model?

Mazda's plan as of November 2005 was to build 12,000 units total. 6,000 in 2006, 6,000 in 2007. At that time, we were also told that Mazda was building a Mazdaseed3. I can't see all that R&D going into a car for just one year. But, with the Mazdaspeed3 comming out soon, who whos. This may be the first time Mazda has produced 2 Mazdaspeed vehicles at once.
    I was going to buy my NY Auto show tickets early, but, can you buy them the day of the event? I'm planning on going down on the 14th
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    I was at McDonald Mazda in Denver this morning and noticed that they had eight MazdaSpeed6's on the lot, all marked at $2000 above list. If they have so many on hand, are they really getting a premium of $2000 above list? The turbo and Awd will really be handy in this area. Enjoy!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    considering mazda is already running a subsidized lease deal on it, I don't see how. Not to mention even carsdirect gives me a target price of almost $1200 under msrp.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

That's just plain insane. They'll scare away anyone even thinking about buying one. :mad:

-juice
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    The only dealer I've seen running an ad, has a $28,--- car, with $3,000 match. So their selling it for $25,---.

That's certainly interesting, but I bet will be much better by the end of the year.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Gee, I wonder why they still have 8 of them on the lot, when the dealers around here can barely keep them on the lots. ;)

Paying mark-up for ANY car is the dumbest thing anyone can do, considering that being the first on the block to have the latest and greatest isn't worth the extra $$$.
    I know someone who paid $1750 over MSRP for a '90 Miata. I waited and bought my '93 used, for dirt cheap.

A hot car does not automatically mean resale is good. Miata resale is only so-so.

-juice
  • ccletzgoccletzgo Member Posts: 32
    are they GT's or Sports? The sports were the last to go at the dealer ship I got mine from. I drive by the lot every day on my way to work. Have not seen a MS6 on the lot for a long time now.. ;)
    We never charged over sticker for our MS6's. Our first allocation,6 MS6's, all sold for sticker the first two day's we had them. Since then, we have basically done what we had to, to make the deal. Have never made an invoice deal, though.

I don't see how dealer's are still charging over sticker, my advice, find ones that are not, and get your best deal.
    The title says it all, so get your MS6 now!

Mazda will be concentrating on the MazdaSpeed 3 next year...
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    With the way G35s are selling, I can't imagine Mazda would ignore that market by stopping the MS6. More probable is that there will be no changes to the MS6 for 2007 - or for several more years, for that matter.
    The title says it all, so get your MS6 now!

What is your source on this?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And only send the car for one year? Even Honda stuck with that dog of an SI for longer than that.
    What is your source on this?

A member on another forum that I frequent. He's been right about 80% of the time, so take it as you will.

Apparently, sales of the MS6 have been less than expected, and with the anticipation and excitement of the MS3 shown at the Geneva Auto Show (rumored to have 267 HP, 280 lb-ft torque from the same turbo-4 as the MS6, apparently Mazda thinks they'll sell more of then than the MS6.

Again, he could be wrong, or not, so take it as you will...
    As of November 2005, Mazda had said they were to build 12,000 total units. 6,000 in 2006, and 6,000 in 2007. At this time as well, Mazda already had the Mazdaspeed3 in the works.

Sales have been less then expected, I am guessing because of the lack of an automatic transmission. I say this because this vehicle is targeted towards men in their early 30's and higher, and competes with the Audi A4, BMW 325xi and Legacy GT. The problem is, the majority of men this age do not want a manual transmission. If you look, the majority of the competition sold, are sold as automatic transmissions. Just my thought.
    As of November 2005, Mazda had said they were to build 12,000 total units. 6,000 in 2006, and 6,000 in 2007. At this time as well, Mazda already had the Mazdaspeed3 in the works.

A lot can happen in five months to make them change their minds.

Sales have been less then expected, I am guessing because of the lack of an automatic transmission. I say this because this vehicle is targeted towards men in their early 30's and higher, and competes with the Audi A4, BMW 325xi and Legacy GT. The problem is, the majority of men this age do not want a manual transmission. If you look, the majority of the competition sold, are sold as automatic transmissions.

Very sad, but very true. I guess I'm in the minority then (turning 30 in 6 days and REFUSING to buy a slushbox). I can't imagine driving the MS6 or any of the mentioned cars with an automatic. Especially the A4 and Leg GT. Turbos and automatics don't mix!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    All speed cars are essentially only one model year. That was the plan from the beginning.
    Get an 06 if you want a Speed6, they'll be using up all those engines in the CX7 and Speed3.

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    they'll be using up all those engines in the CX7 and Speed3

That's too bad, I haven't heard yet that the turbo power loss problem is resolved.

John
    True, but keep in mind these have a lot less boost, perhaps for the purpose of better reliability.

-juice
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    All speed cars are essentially only one model year. That was the plan from the beginning.

Seriously? I can't imagine Mazda limiting production like that for the sake of exclusivity. If I remember right, the Protege had incentives toward the end of production, and the Miata definitely had significant incentives, and that was produced for two years. So it seems to me it's simply a response to low demand.

Maybe they just introduced the Speed models too late in the model life - wasn't the SpeedPro made just the last year of the Protege? And the Miata was the last two years of the last model. So, maybe the interest in the "basis" for those Speed models had tapered off too much. Perhaps the same with the 6.

Now, I expect the Speed3 to do very well. If I'm not mistaken, the 3 is still doing very well with no incentives, right? And the market for such a vehicle seems to be real hot right now. Too bad they couldn't throw the AWD in there, but for the sake of cost, it's probably a good move.

BTW, another local dealer here in Denver that I drive by on the way to work everyday also has 7-8 MS6's, all lined up in front of the building. Kinda cool, except when they're like that day after day, it makes you wonder. This is the same one that I wrote about months ago that had $5,000 markups on the window. "This is not an MSRP car," the manager said. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    "This is not an MSRP car," the manager said.

Maybe by that, he meant that it would be selling for invoice... :P
    As of today, April 25, 2006, Mazda USA will be offering BOTH a Mazdaspeed 6 and Mazdaspeed 3 for 2007. Yes, two of them available at the same time!

According to my source, Mazda made the change due to the scheduled '07 makeover of the Mazda 6 pushed back to '08 due to "drivetrain issues."

Again, take it as you will...
    If that turns out to be accurate, you officially said it first. :D

-juice
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    I once had a 323GTX, which was a killer package. I've been waiting for Mazda to reincarnate that car, and in the meantime I have a WRX, which is tiding me over nicely, thank you.

Is it true that the Mazdaspeed 3 will not have AWD? That will be a deal killer for me. I live in the foothills outside Denver, and cannot own a 2WD car.

I saw an MS6 in front of a Sam's Club here and liked it, but not for $30K. For $25K, maybe, but it would have to beat out a Legacy GT Turbo, which are not selling all that well and can be had for that neighborhood, or a WRX, which can be had for low 20's.

If they really do have the MS6 for '07, I'm guessing I'll find an '06 for $25k at some point.
    Is it true that the Mazdaspeed 3 will not have AWD?

Yup, it's true. The MS3 was kept FWD for weight and cost savings.

If they really do have the MS6 for '07, I'm guessing I'll find an '06 for $25k at some point.

Maybe not $25K, but since the MS6 is not selling as well as Mazda hoped, I bet you could walk out with one for only $27-28K.
  • seanwms6seanwms6 Member Posts: 121
    People are already reporting GTs being sold for $28K w/o nav and Sports for $25-26K. Unless these cars really start to move, I imagine prices will go down further ($1-2K?)once 2007s start rolling in.
  • artourartour Member Posts: 22
    I leased my MS6 at the end of Feb. for right around invoice and got a good trade in on an '04 Tribute es.
    I bought my wife's Mercury Mariner in for a minor problem and saw the MS6 on showroom floor, drove it & bought it on a whim (was going to buy an '07 in Oct - Nov) on the spot.
    As I am 61 and haven't owned a stick since 1981 (Datsun 200SX), I took a 24 month lease in case I didn't like it and to cover possible resale problem at the end. I really don't know if I got a great deal but here are the figures (and you can tell me if it's good or not):
    24month lease with 19,500 miles per year, $3,000 down and $11,500 trade in on a 2004 Tribute ES (loaded) with 46k miles on it. My monthly payment is $449 (don't forget, 19,500 miles per year) with gap included and a buy out of around $14,500.
    So far (2 months), I love driving the car - the turbo gives it a real throw you back into the seat kick at all gears - even 6th at 60mph & over. While not the fastest car on the road, it beats 99% of what it encounters, and gives the other 1% a run for the money. The car handles like a dream, corners better than anything else I have ever owned and is really good on gas!
    I don't like the clutch workings very much - it's extremely touchy - and 1st gear readlines very very fast so if I'm pushing it hard, I have to shift 2 second very quick. One other bad thing about the car is the tires.
    While they are very sticky (to the road), I picked up a nail in the sidewall and had to replace one at 1400 miles at a cost of $270. Could only use oem Bridgestone which had to be air shipped from CA to NJ as the only one of 2 tires my Firestone dealer was able to locate in the US.
    Overall, I give the car 4.5 out of 5.
    If you have any questions or tips about the car, ask me or let me know & I would be happy to reply.
    Artour
    what did you owe on the tribute?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

:) I owned the tribute - no outstanding loan.
    I paid 15,000 for it in Dec 2004 with around 21,000 miles on it. It was in excellent condition when I got it and I traded it in same way. It did have a brake problem that could not be solved - I had the brakes changed 3 times but they always sounded like metal to metal on hard stops. Dealer said "that's normal" but I couldn't live with it any longer, so I got the ms6 instead.
    Wait a sec... now I'm confused. Did they cut you a check for the Tribute??

I'm not sure how you put down $3k + $11,500 trade and have to make payments on a lease.

They gave me a check for the balance.
    I bought the Tribute ES for cash.
  • nonohondanonohonda Member Posts: 2
    New to the forum, just picked up my MS6 near Philadelphia,
    GT with cargo net and a few other accesories for $28,800.
    The clutch is either on or off, no inbetween, other than that, what a fun ride.
  • m3nmsp6m3nmsp6 Member Posts: 21
    I've been reading this forum for a few months, ever since they started selling the MS6 at dealers. I test drove it back in Feb. and just loved it! The dealer(So Cal) was selling all MS6 for $2k above MSRP. Really thought I would not be able to afford one, since I was looking at the $25k range and no more.

In March, looked at the Jetta GLI, nice car got a price at invoice which was about $22800. Almost signed the deal, but something told me to just wait and maybe get a MS6 at the end of the year... No need to wait that long. Strolled into a small Mazda dealer just killing sometime and looking at the regular Mazda 6. On tax day, 4/15/06 was able to work a deal for a Sport MS6 with a price of $25800. That was close enough to my price range and I felt the Jetta GLI did not compare with the MS6 at this price.

Dealer had just sold a GT MS6 at full MSRP right after I got to the dealer. The Finance Director mentinoned that was the reason they were willing to work on the price. The deal did take about 4 hours to finalize...well worth it.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Congrats to all you new owners!

nonohonda--I am also near Philadelphia, and I hope to be getting a Speed 6 soon. If you don't mind telling, where did you get yours and how did the dealer treat you?

Thanks!
    Great price, congrats.

-juice
  • seanh2oseanh2o Member Posts: 27
    New APR deals are out now.
  • nonohondanonohonda Member Posts: 2
    I got my car at the mazda dealer near the philly airport.
    They really were a disasster.
    Everyone there has been on the job for about 2 weeks.
    I'm wondering if they just up and fired everyone one day and then replaced everyone.
    I have to take the car back to get "re-detailed" because they really wanted me to take the car last friday afternoon. As you can imagine, nobody felt like taking the time to deatil the car properly.

My advice, go somewhere else.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Thanks for the response. The airport is too far away. There are other dealers closer to me than that. Thanks for the advice!
  • crtrptrcrtrptr Member Posts: 9
    :blush: As the very happy owner of a Speed 6 GT since 12-05, I'm writing to respond the several observations in this forum and in various reviews of this car about the "on/off" nature of the clutch's performance. While it is true that the engagement point of the clutch is reached quickly compared to other MTs, I have learned that a slow letout of the clutch can be used to modulate its performance to excellent effect, allowing for efficient low-speed performance and avoiding the engagement of the turbo if the gas pedal is equally employed judiciously. In other words, if you don't stomp on the gas and don't pop the clutch, you can tame this beast when you need to.
    I have had my ms6 since 2/28/06 and had my 1st problem with it today. I have 2600 miles on it now and the turbo cut out this afternoon. I guess the turbo runs often with a small 4 cyl eng like the 2.3 - I knew immediately that the turbo had cut out because of a lack of power at around 6k rpm. Anyone else have this problem? I will be talking to the service dept. tomorrow about it. BTW, I wrote about my car earlier & thought that I had gotten a pretty good deal on it - I paid 29,900 for the car before a 1,000 rebate. I got 12,500 trade in on a 2004 tribute es with 43,000 miles on it and took a 24 month lease with 19,500 miles per year at 450/mo. Car listed for 31,500 and I got them to throw in the cargo net. It has every option but the gps (I have one and think that getting one built into the car is a waste of money).
    I have had only one other problem with the car - not Mazda's fault - got a nail in the side wall of one of the tires - cost me $270 to replace the tire. VERY expensive for one tire, I think. And, I've been told that these are "high speed" tires which will last around 20,000 miles before needing replacement!
    Other than the above stuff, I really love driving the car -it's a real sleeper on the road - no one knows what it is unless they're really into fast cars. There are lots of other fast cars on the road today, but not many like this one with awd, tuned suspension & great (25mph) gas milage.
    I used to think of Mazdas as econoboxes, but boy has my opinion changed!
    It's a summer tire for maximum traction, so yeah, it'll be pricey. You should get a seperate set of snow tires if you drive on snow or ice. The summer tires should be fine in the rain or of course in the dry.

I've heard of complaints of heat soak, but if you've lost power even after the turbo cools down, something more serious is wrong. Oh well, it's under warranty.

-juice
    The turbo didn't "cut out" on you. And actually, the turbo runs pretty much all the time, just at varying speeds depending on the exhaust pressure. Other Mazdaspeed6 discussion forums point out that the MS6 has a relatively small turbo, which allows for less "turbo lag", but cannot maintain boost at high engine RPM. Dyno runs have repeatedly shown that the power curve drops off very steeply at 6000rpm. Basically, even though the redline is 6700rpm, the engine "runs out of steam" at 6000, so it's pointless to rev the engine beyond 6000.

There is a known problem with intermittent lack of power above 4000rpm. The problem is caused when engine knock is detected, the PCM goes to "fail-safe" mode, and limits maximum throttle to 33%. Killing then restarting the engine restores power. Many people have theorized that the powerloss problem is due to the top-mounted intercooler becoming heat-soaked, but the problem has been reproduced by some owners in very cold (< 35°F ) conditions. Mazda has determined that the knock-sensor programming is too sensitive, and a PCM reflash is now available to correct this problem.
  • m3nmsp6m3nmsp6 Member Posts: 21
    I agree 100%. The clutch can be mastered to the point where you don't feel it jump back. I have read a few articles and owners post complaining about the clutch. If you have experience driving a MT, you should have no problem adjusting to the clutch and driving this great machine like another MT.
    BTW, my wife has a 06' Mazda 3 MT, and she has driven my Speed6. She had no problem adjusting to the clutch either.
  • importknight84importknight84 Member Posts: 6
    what exactly is the PCM reflash? is it expensive?
    A "PCM reflash" is a process by which the dealer hooks up their diagnostic computer to your car, and sends new programming to the memory chips in the Powertrain Control Module. From what I understand, the new programming changes the threshold under which "fail-safe" mode occurs when the knock sensor detects engine knocking. If you are experiencing the powerloss problem described above, and can specify a repeatable procedure that will cause the problem (so the dealer can reproduce it) you can have it corrected for free under warranty.

Even if the dealer can't reproduce the problem, if you take note of the conditions each time the problem occurs, you may be able to get them to reflash the PCM anyway.
    Thanks for the response, I have an appt. with my dealer for Tuesday, but will be calling them tomorrow with the information so that they can fix the problem properly.
    That was basically how I recognized the turbo problem - a lack of power at all speeds. I was aware that the turbo was pretty much working full time and knew immediately when it stopped working. I was going to beat up on a 350Z who thought he was king of the road when I first lost power (I felt cheated that I couldn't embarrass him :cry: ).
    Oh well, other times and other cars to prey upon.
    I looked up PCM reflash on Google & found all the info I will need to give to the service dept.
    I guess you get what you pay for - can't turn a $30,000 Mazda into an 80,000 porsche, but it's still fun to drive and all the equipment in one package makes it a great all around car.