Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MAZDASPEED Mazda6

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    How do you negotiate via email when I am completely outside there market? I don't see how I really have any bargaining power.

I don't think being out of the area harms your bargaining power at all. You do not even have to tell them that initially, but if you do it may actually help your bargaining power, since you are indicating you are willing to travel just about anywhere to get a good deal. You don't really need to negotiate, just ask them for their selling price on a specific car that they have in stock.

Some dealers even post the discount selling prices on the internet. One in my state is at holidayautomotive.com, looks like they only have one speed6 left, but it is listed on website with sale price of about $5800 below MSRP. $24,798 sale price, $30585 MSRP. A while back someone on here had even called them and confirmed their pricing.

Another one that posts sale prices is fitzmall.com, I have not looked at their pricing though.

However, I think rebates are sometimes based on residence of buyer, so you would want to check on that too at some point.

edit: Just noticed on that Holiday site it says "We can arrange delivery anywhere in the United States or Canada!"
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Incentives are based on the location of dealer!
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    I too cross shopped MS6 with Mazda 6 V6 GT and Mazda CX7. After the test drive, and initial offer ($5000 off MSRP at first), I ended up buying the MS6 Sport. Ride is very good for an all-out performance car. You do feel the bumps more so than say, a Honda Accord, but it's never jittery and somewhat comfortable. Go test drive a Subaru WRX STi, you will literally feel like you are in a crosscountry rally all day. Gas mileage is excellent for a car of this caliber too. I have been driving my MS6 for about a month, and have been getting around 21.5 MPG with aggressive driving and mostly freeway miles. When I get stuck ina stop-and-go traffic, that's when my fuel economy suffers. Overall, definitely a bargain when you consider that my dealership offered the 6 GT V6 hatchback at $24,000, and I ended up paying about $22K for MS6 Sport. :shades: I like the way Mazda 6 drove, but MS6 makes me smile everytime I get in the car. By the way, this is coming from an ex-BMW owner. ;)
  • robger99robger99 Member Posts: 42
    Hi, am up in Michigan and am getting a price of $279.00 month for 24 months with 10,500 miles/year with $1500.00 down for an 06 gt with moonroof.Would need to buy up miles to 15 k/year. How much is it per mile to buy up front? Just wondering if this is a great deal or should i wait. I have 7 payments at 313.00 month on the gas-guzzling chevy trailblazer that i want to get rid of.I would need to roll this in if i make a move before lease end.This dealer has about 20 ms6 in stock.Any input on price/timing of purchase would be appreciated.
  • duffd1duffd1 Member Posts: 5
    I just got the reprogramming done. Big difference. Much smoother shifting. For those who have not had this recall done, I encourage you to get your speed6 into the service dept ASAP
  • peter47peter47 Member Posts: 6
    Trying to decide between a Mazdaspeed 6 and a Subaru Legacy Spec B. Tough decision! Any suggestions or advice? The Subaru costs more. I like the styling better of the Mazda but I have heard of some possible reliability issues with it.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I am a bit biased here, although I do own both a Subaru and a Mazda. Just neither of the ones you are looking at...

From a pure "stand back and look at the guts" I have to throw the crown to the Subie. There really are no AWD cars except Subaru that have the ideal drivetrain layout. The flat four boxer engine, centered drive train, and superior full time AWD simply can't be matched by the high tech gizmos and computers that the others throw at it. The Subie will easily go 200k+ miles of AWD fun. The Mazda is essentially a FWD car with part time RWD tacked on. Very sophisticated, and it does work well, but a spade is a spade.

My $0.02. Juice can give you a lot more.

John
  • peter47peter47 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the information John. I have had a few Subarus in the past and had good luck with them. I am in Canada so the MSRP on the Mazdaspeed is $38795.00 and $45995.00 on the Subaru. Quite a difference, that is why I am considering the Mazda. The guy I deal with is a Subaru dealer but will get me whatever I want. He is just concerned about what the trade-in value will be on the Mazda vs the Subaru and he thinks there may be reliability issues with the Mazda. He has no hard evedence of this but he gets this feeling talking to Mazda dealers he knows.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I thought I had read of head gasket issues with Subaru's engine??? If there are, I assume they would be difficult to get to (therfore, expensive to replace) with the engine layout.
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    I have owned two Mazdas prior to my Speed6, and one Subaru (a 2002 WRX). The Subaru was much more troublesome than my Mazdas. I live in Colorado where Subarus are a dime a dozen, and they have their issues. And their issues tend to be expensive. I'm willing to roll the dice on the Mazda, because of my personal experience. For the money, the Speed6 wins.

BTW, if you are concerned about snow performance, I believe the Mazda will at least match the Legacy. The Mazda has the ability to lock the power transfer 50-50 front/rear. Both have limited slip in the rear. I think both will do equally well in the snow, given equal tires, but one downside to the Speed6 is that it comes standard with 18 inch summer only tires. I'm looking for some 17 inch wheels and winter tires for winter use.

The AWD system in the Speed6 is basically the same Haldex as used in the Volvos, if that makes any difference. I don't hear any complaints about them.
    The AWD system in the Speed6 is basically the same Haldex as used in the Volvos

there you go. That is just the point. The Mazda is FWD until loss of traction commences, and then it is AWD. When we are talking high performance, full time AWD is essential.

John
    I thought I had read of head gasket issues with Subaru's engine??

The pre 2003 4 cylinder 2.5 liter had some issues, albeit a small percentage.

The 2.5 turbo, and 2003+, have not had any issues. Nor the 6 cylinder boxer.

So no. There are no issues on the new ones.

John
    Frankly, at these prices you really should also consider a G35x. Granted it is an auto (only) but it also has a true rear wheel bias. The G35x also has better warranty and the interior is a bit nicer. All are certainly cheaper than SpecB and there are more color choices and they can be had without overpriced NAV. In '06 there was major issues with Subies: no stability control. That alone is huge problem for winter driving! In '07, Subies have been upgraded but the MS6 is now so discounted that it actually costs the same (or less) than the regular Legacy GT.

LGT is faster straight line but other than that MS6 has it in the braking and cornering departments. In my view, the only reason to get the LGT is if you want to mod the heck out it and get it to 350 HP. However, once MS3 and CX-7 increase the number of folks using the 2.3L Turbo engine, we might see just as many (and more reasonable) mods...

My $0.02
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Just talked to a sales agent who will sell me a new Mzspeed6 for invoice minus all dealer incentives ($2500) plus dealer handling. He also recommends that I finance with Mazda and then pay it off in three months; that gives me another $1000 rebate. Anyhow, I am interested in the car because it is a premium AWD sedan for, what appears to be, a very modest price. I expect to use it for commuting to work and skiing trips here in Colorado. I am not a racer, not too aggressive, more of a smooth-cruising driver. Will I be able to keep my foot off of the throttle? Are the interior amenities and the AWD system enought to justify this car? Is there a comparable car (similar features for similar money) that I should be looking at?
    There's absolutely no match out there for Mazdaspeed 6 in terms of price. In Texas, some dealers are selling Mazdaspeed 6 Sport for $21,500! :surprise: Albeit you have to finance through Mazda America Credit , but at $21,500...that's over $7,000 off the MSRP. 2006 Subaru WRX TR with no other options in my area are selling for $22,900. Mazdaspeed 6 at this killer prices is not just a simple bargain...it's almost like a highway robbery. I too cross shopped my MS6 with Subaru Legacy GT and WRX. For your money, it's like buying a Legacy GT Spec B for a price of well equiped WRX (non-TR trim). For the money, there's absolutely nothing like it out there. Think of it as a budget Audi S4 or Volvo S60R for a price of a Honda Accord. Also keep in mind that starting in 2007, Mazda is switching to 3year/36K mile warranty. Act on a Mazdaspeed 6 now. There are some great prices to be had everywhere.
    Subaru Legacy Spec B is actually no different than regular Subaru Legacy GT in terms of performance. Its enhancements are more cosmetic rather than performance oriented. Spec B does receive Bilstein shocks, navigation, and unique red-leather interior. But there aren't any noticeable performance upgrades that justfies its hefty price hike over a stock Legacy GT, since its performance numbers are very similar (within exception of braking). As for Mazdaspeed 6, its performance numbers vastly better over anything that a stock Mazda 6 has to offer. Both companies are very experienced with trubo powered cars, and have great know-how on trubo powerplants. Mazda does come with better warranty (at least in 2006), and with current rebates and incentives, a Mazdaspeed 6 sport can be had for a price of Subaru WRX TR! I guess my recommendation would be cross shop a stock Subaru Legacy GT and Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring, since their real-world sales prices are similar. If you are going to pay over $30K for a Spec B, pay $2000 more and get yourself a Volvo S60R. S60R with all its incentives will be alsmost same price of Legacy GT Spec B, and Volvo offers better performance, exclusivity, and luxury. But for my money, I would get the Mazdaspeed 6 GT with Navigation, and invest $7000 that I saved not buying a Legacy GT Spec B into Ross IRA. :)
    I agree, price is the issue right now. The Mazda is a better deal.

But again I submit that the higher performance driver's car is the Spec B. Spec B handles far better than the Legacy GT, and that isn't just shock absorber improvements. Less roll and bigger wheels too.

I believe there is an Edmund's comparison of the two cars that is worthy of a read.

John
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    A while back I posted that the speed6 was a little too pricey for Mazda's core customers....now that they have very attractive incentives my sales have been very stong. When the car first came out we sold a bunch then we had a slow period...but right now I am selling speed6's like never before. I even took extra allocation which never would have happend 4 months ago. Alot of folks have figured out that the car represents an amazing value with the big discounts.
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    once_for_all,

I hope you meant to say that between the Legacy GT and the spec.b, the spec.b is the "driver's car", because the edmunds head to head between the spec.b and the Speed6 declared the Speed6 to be the winner in handling and braking.

I have a feeling the Speed6 got the short end of the acceleration numbers in the Edmunds test and the R&T test due to the ECU bug that has now been fixed by recall. There are many reports of sub-14 1/4 mile times with stock Speed6s. Also the car is very octane sensitive. Running less than 93 will definitely affect the power, although no damage will be done.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I cross-shopped both of these vehicles, although I didn't look at the Spec-B because it was several thousand more than I was willing to pay, and I didn't really like the interior color palette. I opted for the MS6 because the LGT lacked probably the most important minor detail that was a MUST-HAVE for me:

• auxiliary input for iPod or satellite radio on head unit. LGT audio system does not have this.

Other things that influenced my preference for the MS6:
    • NAV not available in non Spec-B LGT
    • I like the sporty look of the white/black leather
    • steering wheel audio controls (LGT doesn't have them)
    • electrically height-adjustable HID headlamps (LGT has halogen projectors)
    • all windows have one-touch auto-up and auto-down (LGT does not have)
    • dual-zone automatic climate control on LGT cannot be switched to single-zone

All these things are pretty nit-picky, but IMO, they are the things that differentiated the cars to me. IMO, they're close enough in power, performance, and appearance that I had to look at how much I would enjoy commuting in it 2 hours a day for the next few years. I don't regret my decision, although every time I ride in my friend's LGT, I get jealous of the beautiful instrument panel.
  • fasterthanyoufasterthanyou Member Posts: 131
    I have been in the market for a Mazdaspeed6 after I heard about the huge discount. The dealers were willing to sell for as little as 22000 but I just could not find anything thrilling about this car except the price. I think Mazda offers an exceptional line of cars but missed to put a heart in this one. I owned a 6 a 3 and an RX8 and they've been all reliable and fun to drive and expected the Speed6 to be superior at least to the first two. Well...it is not. It is a regular Mazda 6 with a turbo priced still too high(for what it offers) at 22000.
  • monkeymobilemonkeymobile Member Posts: 14
    Love it or not, saying that the MS6 is priced too high at 22K is, frankly, NUTS!

It may not have the same emotion and intensity of some other cars, but for $22K, what car even comes close to this: sub 6-sec 0-60, AWD, 18" wheels and sports suspension, Bose stereo w/6CD changer, power everything, great build quality. A few grand more buys leather, a sunroof and nav.

Granted, I wouldn't have purchased an MS6 for $35K or even $30K, but at the price I paid for the MS6 GT, I can't even imagine a better deal.

What do you think is a better deal for $22K?

-monkeymobile
    Why is it nuts? Because you bought one and thought is the deal of the century, the hidden treasure that nobody knows about. Get real ..the car is just not appealing.
    "sub 6sec" Mazda gives 6.2(and don't tell me is underrated)
    super cheap 18 alloys(they have 17 on a regular 2.3 mazda3)
    NO BOSE stereo (only BOSE speakers),
    sport suspension- PLEASE...
    Great build quality???????????
    How about horrible gearbox...ridiculous clutch action...non-reactive steering...grooved rotors on all the speed6...shortest and weirdest power-band
    I would take the RX8 for 21000(not as much torque but with sport car handling or the GTI 20000(torque at any RPM, better handling, way better build quality)
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    The sales agent let me bring home a Mazdaspeed6 today to try out. So far I've put about 100 miles on it. Comments: The engine is very quiet; can hardly hear it; need to check the tach to see where the rpms are. Suspension is a bit firmer than ideal; on rough roads too many small bumps are felt. I had read about a tricky clutch, but seems to work just fine for me. Transmission is good too; you do have to go easy on the gas pedal if you want to accelerate in a smooth stream of power. I am disappointed that there is no pass-through from the trunk; where am I going to put my snow skis? The car has anti-lock brakes, limited slip differential, traction control, and dynamic stability control... all good gear for winter traction.... but it comes with summer tires. The final important link, proper tires, is missing for winter driving... and it is snowing here tonight. The controls seem well positioned. Climate control and audio systems function okay for me. I'll probably buy it but need to talk about a ski rack and tire choices. I wonder if taller tires on 17" rims may make the ride more compliant also?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    There is a pass through. If you unclip that cardboard/plastic cover thing inside the trunk, it has the same fold down seats as the regular Mazda6. The issue is the cross bracing that runs through that area hampers access.
    So, what's your agenda here? With reference to the MS6, you said, "it is a regular Mazda 6 with a turbo." That's way off the mark. Let's try again:

1) The MS6 has AWD -- after owning a 200HP VR6 GTI, I would never, ever drive another high powered FWD car. Torque steer is an awful thing. The Haldex, while not full-time AWD, solves that problem and provides better traction in wet weather.

2) The MS6 has 18" wheels -- you can characterize them as "super cheap" (which sounds like a statement of fact when it's really just an opinion) but I like them for being understated.

3) The MS6 is a sub 6-sec car. You say Mazda's official figure is 6.2 sec? Did you also know that Mazda's official sales price for an MS6 starts at $28,555? Mazda, like VW has done for years, is publishing conservative performance numbers for this car. Several notable auto publications have tested the car in the 5.x sec range. Ignoring reality by picking and choosing your sources is futile. Do you really not believe that the car can pull 0-60 in less than 6 sec?

4) I repeat: great build quality. This is my first Japanese car and only my 2nd non-German car (BMW, Mercedes, Audi and VW) and I find the solidity to be very impressive. It has far fewer squeaks and rattles as my last two VWs or the Audi before them and the chassis is less crashy over bumps/ruts/potholes.

5) I repeat: sport suspension. The handling is almost as good as my old R32 but the suspension is far more compliant and balanced. The chassis on this car is the stiffest I've ever owned -- the car always feels in control, even under quick dierctional changes and heavy braking. I recently let a good friend (a VW sales manager who sold me my R32) drive this car in some twisties. He scared the pants off of me the way he drove it (he's been a weekend track enthusiast for 10+ years) and he was very, very impressed with the car. If he didn't work for VW, he would be buying this car -- his words (3x stated), not mine. He wants to drive the MS6 some more and take it to the track (no way).

5) Horrible gearbox? Says who? Non-reactive steering? I disagree -- I think it's well weighted and offers good feedback without feeling artificial. Grooved rotors on *ALL* the speed6? Not mine.

6) Clutch -- I was not enamored with it when I bought the car, but it has changed substantially as the car has worn in. The take up is more gradual but still trickier than most. I've had one far trickier: 1988 M3.

Listen, I'll say it: the car is not perfect and I doubt I'll buy another Mazda if they kill this car (which they probably well), but if you think the MS6 is overpriced at $22K, you're missing the plot. I'm a VW/Audi zealout in my heart, but the GTI and the MS6 are very different cars. Look at it this way: for $22K, you can't even get close to a 205HP FWD Acura TSX, but you can get a FWD 166HP Honda Accord 4-Door EX. Would you rather have the Honda Accord or the MS6? This car is a smoking deal, especially on a lease!

-monkeymobile
  • zoom_zoomzoom_zoom Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I bougth a new MS6 less than a month back and within a day the engine check light came on. Taking it to the mazda dealer, he conducted a WDS test and found a code P2006. and he reprogrammed the PCM.

Two days later, the check light is on and this time, The dealer changes a some intlet actuator valve or something. I don't remember exactly which part.

Two days later, again, the same engine check light. Its been in the shop for the past two weeks now. They ordered a new intake manifold (said it came in from Japan) and now are working on getting it into the car hopefully I should have the car next week.

I was wondering if anybody had any problems.. what could the Code P2006 mean and when would you need to change a whole new intake manifold on a Brand new car.

A disapointed new MS6 owner who has not had a chane to drive his car :mad: :cry:
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Regarding the code, I found this on the mazda6club site:
    P2006 Variable tumble control system (VTCS) shutter valve stuck closed ON 2 CCM

Good luck on getting your car back soon!
  • zoom_zoomzoom_zoom Member Posts: 5
    Thanks evaddave,

Any idea what exactly it means in lay man's terms. Driving with the light on did not feel anything different but considering its in the shop for nearly 2 weeks I assume its something important.

Oh By the way the light turns off automatically also.

thanks
    People are entitled to their opinion. MS6 is not for everyone. If it was, it would sell better and there would not be the discouts. I can agree that "the market is always right!" However, information is not always perfect! MS6 got hammered by the major reviews and that hurt its market value a great deal. 93 requirement is really hurting sales particularly when cheap dealers stick 87 into the engine.

Clearly MS6 is not worth anywhere close to $30k or its MSRP. '06 LGTs were selling for about 25k for the last few months and that is closest competitor for the MS6. LGT might be a better for some purposes (with straight forward folding seat and even a pass-though for '07) but I personally want DSC and that caused me to take '06 LGT off my list. LGT does get DSC for '07 but I will have to fork over an additional 2k for a very crappy NAV that is bundled with DSC now.

I am still considering an MS6 but at $30k+ I took it off my list because at those prices S60 R is way more attractive (sleeper) and has better value at only $2-3k more. '06 G35x is also a good choice as it currently sells close to 28k but only comes in auto. MS6 may have higher driver involvement but it is really hurting in some facets: brand name, looks that are not for everyone, not enough lux features for some... In its niche (that might be too small) it has no real competition!

Fasterthanyou: please move on and buy/drive something else but do not complain if anything you buy for $22k is fasterthanyou in the twisties or even in a straight line... Can you tell me any 4-door that has AWD, DSC, all air bags and can do 0-60 close to 6 seconds and runs under $25k?
    OK, I admit maybe is too much to say that the Mazdaspeed6 is overpriced at 22000. Is just that I'm disappointed with the way this car drives.
    I start to understand why you think is a great car...it is probably the fact that you never owned a Mazda before and your expectations were not so big. I'm telling you, the difference between a regular Mazda6 and the speed6 is very small. A little turbo rush is not everything. Many cars look good on paper and they don't really deliver ...Infinity G35 , Lexus IS350 to give some examples. They are often compared with a BMW and sometimes on paper they look even better ...until you drive them and you understand there is nothing to compare. You said you had German cars before so I am guessing you understand what I mean.
    Believe me I really tried to like the Mazdaspeed6 (I knew about this car since they released it in Europe about 2 years ago)...I took about 5 test drives trying to convince myself that I should not miss the opportunity of owning one at this price but every time I got at the wheel there was nothing that could make me like this car.
    I'm very surprised that you don't find the transmission of the speed6 miserable after owning Audi's.

P.S. You can get a 2006 Accord v6 for 22000 without too much effort but the Accord is not by any means a performance car.
    Granted, BMW 330ix may "feel" better but it will run well North of $40k and it will NOT be faster. I would not want to pay to have it fixed either and its reliability is nothing to brag about!
    Subaru Impreza WRX.
    WRX does not have curtain air bags or DSC. It is pretty decent ride. Wait another few weeks and you might be able to get a 9-2x Aero for even less. In '05, folks were picking them up for under $20k!

WRX and 9-2x can be had in a wagon which is nice but the rear seat space and fit&finish are pretty lousy. The interior in the MS6 is superior to Subaru and Saabaru. Personally, I think LGT is more my bag but it is not price competitive when equiped with DSC. Frankly, MS6 GT is very comparable to SpecB in some respects but again MS6 GT is far better value, at least currently.
    I owned more than 40 cars and the only ones that caused me trouble were a Nissan 350 z and Honda Accord v6. Both very "reliable" japanese cars. Reliability ratings are absolutely useless. If you do a little research you will realize that between the most reliable cars(listed in CR) and the most unreliable is in fact a lot smaller difference in the number of problems that you may think. But I guess people can be easily manipulated in thinking otherwise.

P.S. I owned 5 BMW's and the reliability was outstanding
    I have also owned a few cars that were supposed to be unreliable. I found them to be reasonable but then I maintain and do not abuse them. Granted reliability is based on a large sample, there is always variation within any sample. CR does not report any measurement for those possible variations.

However, I currently own (and contemplating replacing) a '91 4Runner (original owner) and that puppy has taken less than $1k of non-maintenance repairs in 15 years. That has been beyond any reasonable expectations. Does that compare to any BMW that you had owned way past the warranty period? Many of my friends who own those always drop $1k per visit for any real work and that is pretty hefty.

Furthermore, since you have owned 40 vehicles we can safely assume that you have not owned any (or too many) of them until they are much older. All vehicles are pretty "reliable" when they are within the warranty period. Reliability at 10 years old is probably a better measure than it is at 1!
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Regarding the trunk pass-through, I added this feature to my Mazdaspeed6 for about $50. See the photos of my efforts by clicking this link.
    I owned only used BMW's so I am not talking about brand new cars. None of them caused me any problems. None of them had any rattles.
    I definitely had problems with the new cars: Nissan 350z(alignment, excessive tire wear, rattles) Honda Accord Lx v6(rotors warped every 5000 miles, rattle trap, transmission)to name only a few. How could I keep this cars for years.
    I decided I am not going to keep any car for more than two years so I don't really care how reliable they are after 10 years. But if you ask me my bet will still be on a Mercedes or BMW.
    If long term reliability is an issue for you why did you buy a Mazda? I've owned Mazdas(only new)and while they are reliable in short term..I don't see them lasting too long.

P.S. Right now I own a Subaru and a Honda so I think I am objective with my remarks .
  • curious69curious69 Member Posts: 1
    Here is my 2 cents.

I just came back from the dealership where I helped my nephew buy a MS6 Grand Touring with Moonroof and Navi for $27734 out the door including taxes. This is Texas some it's 6.25% sales tax. Used the S plan so it's invo plus $3500 rebate and $250 rebate for the Mazda travelling tour. I don't know about you but I sure would loved to own this car. BTW that's less than $26K for this a fully loaded car with leather, moonroof, power driver seat, heated seats, keyless start and a navi system that actually is pretty cool.

But it's true about the automatic option. I have NO chance of buying one myself because it's an understanding with my wife that all future cars have automatics. That's just part of life.

But $28K out the door for a Grand Touring Navi. Damm Mazda is almost losing money on this puppy. I used to sell Acura and I know this drives better than the TL 6speed and no TL 6speed Navi can be had for $28K out the door.

Frankly, after seeing the Sport and Grand Touring difference, I'd pay the extra the the Grand Touring.

And I am not and will never be a Subura fan so Legacy is out. Besides, Nothing comparable can be had for the price.
    "But it's true about the automatic option. I have NO chance of buying one myself because it's an understanding with my wife that all future cars have automatics. That's just part of life. "

Bingo! That is the problem with targetting a more mature audience with vehicle characteristics that are not likely to work for a family of drivers. If your spouse cannot drive stick, (s)he is not going to approve an MS6 purchase! Target market is too small!
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    C'mon guys... butch up a little... how long does it take to teach our wives to drive stick... my wife refuses to drive anything BUT a stick... if more people bought manual trans. cars the automakers would make more. Now they are making less and less manual cars. Pretty soon they're only going to sell slushboxes. My hat's off to Mazda for making the MS6 manual-only.
    Hasn't anyone figured out that the reason there is no automatic transmission in the MS6 is because they didn't have one that could handle the power output?

When the RX-8 came out, they had to detune the 247 238 HP engine to 207 197 HP for the automatic version because they didn't have an automatic that could handle that much power.

They've managed to develop an automatic for the CX-7, but this engine has been detuned to 244 HP. I'm not sure if that is to accomodate the auto tranny or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is.
    Sorry--I don't have a clue what it means. :(
    Yeah, thats why I am willing to support the nitch market. My wife has never in her life owned an automatic, nor have I. I see no reason to change that at this point. My parents have a stick and an auto, and her parents have two sticks.
    It is my acid test for auto enthusists. When they talk about being into cars and they drive a Toyota slushbox "because of their wife" I walk away.
    Your litmus test for auto enthusiasts is fine but it does not help Mazda to sell enough units to make a profit. If your spouse refuses to drive a stick, it may not be wise to buy a vehicle that only one adult will drive. I bet predominantly single (and not married) males are buying the MS6. Furthermore, many purists might just "stick" with Evo or STI.... MS6 is stuck between the rock and a hard place!

I believe that '07 demand will only go lower with way more SpecB units coming out as well the new G35x which sells more units than Mazda because it is ONLY auto. Infiniti has nailed their segment and that is why stick is not offered, they know it is a money loser. How many manuals do they sell in G35 configuration?

The stick is one of the features that attracts me away from the G35x but there are not enough folks who are into more involved driving characteristic of a 6 speed stick.
    The direction of the industry is in little nitch markets so it is important that they learn how to make profits on smaller volumes. When the Mustang came out in the 60's, they sold a million the first year. Now even the CamCords are like 3-400,000/year. Chrysler only has nitch vehicles.
    Further, there are a lot of single males who want sticks, and there are a lot that cant afford a 325i, and there are a lot that dont want what everyone else has (WRX) or feel like they are driving an ox-cart (STi, EVO). Thats the nitch.
  • ccletzgoccletzgo Member Posts: 32
    I am one that also appreciates the manual transmission. 47 year old women, and I like to really drive a car.

If it were auto, it could be used as a soccer mom's car.
    I like the fact that owning a MS6 means you really drive that MS6 and appreciate what it can do.

If you need auto, this car is just not for you..
  • ccletzgoccletzgo Member Posts: 32
    My daughter and I bought our mazda's at the same time. I have the MS6 GT and she has the RX8 GT ..............I drive them both, back and fourth, when ever. They sit side by side in the garage. ..

Quote" would take the RX8 for 21000(not as much torque but with sport car handling or the GTI 20000(torque at any RPM, better handling, way better build quality)"

ARE YOU KIDDING? Go drive them both again. :surprise:
    If the RX8 is 21000, then it is not the model to compare. And even comparing the 28,000 RX8 to the 28,000 MS6, handling and build quality? The MS6 wins all the way....RX8 is a rattle trap, and the steering cant begin to compare.
    fasterthanyou: You're right on the mark with regards to my expectations affecting my view of the MS6. My background on the MS6:

I had an R32 for just over 2 years and mostly loved driving it -- the relatively rough ride and the squeaks and rattles (which the dealer couldn't fix) are the only things that I grew tired of. I thought about hanging on to the R32 until the MKV R32 hit America next year until VW confirmed that it would be DSG only (I still prefer manual). I also knew that the crazy resale market for MKIV R32s would subside when the new model hit the shores next year.

At the same time I was watching the marketplace for used R32s skyrocket in CA, I also noticed that Mazda was offering ridiculous incentives on the MS6, a car that I'd been interested in because of its "paper specs" for some time. I figured out that I could sell the R32 for a very good price (I ended up getting over 80% of sticker price back after driving it for 2+ years) and lease an MS6 for literally 1/3 of my car payment for the R32. Of course, I'd have to like the MS6 to make the deal.

I test drove an MS6 w/o the reflashed ECU -- it was exciting, but difficult to drive with any semblance of smoothness (touchy clutch + original power curve). Still, I was very impressed with the chassis rigidity, handling and ride quality. The interior was nicer than I expected -- not an Audi, but not a Nissan either (sorry -- I have no love for Nissan interiors). When I got the right price for the R32, drove an MS6 with the updated ECU firmware (from the factory -- VIN confirmed) and saw the deal I could get, it was a no-brainer. I was pleasantly surprised by the car and still am.

Granted, in the abstract, I probably wouldn't have purchased an MS6. That's to say I wouldn't have walked into the dealer last year and paid anywhere near MSRP. However, given all the factors at play, the MS6 met my needs perfectly. Especially given the financial incentives offered and the resultant *cheap as dirt* lease payment, you can see why I strongly feel that the MS6 is an incredible value right now. There's no VW, Audi or other desireable car I could touch anywhere near the price. Bets of all, this lease will allow me to save enough $$$ pickup a new MK2 TT in 2008! ;)

-monkeymobile