Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MAZDASPEED Mazda6

Comments

• radocharadocha Member Posts: 26
    Not great many will dispute the value this car represents at 22-23k and had I not been driving 3 year old M6s I would have been sitting in MS6 by now. I have a loaded '03 6s manual with 57k that I am only being offered 50% of my purchase price for by the dealer (11.5k) as a trade-in. Looking at the outside prices and listings I don't see how I can sell it for much more. This is a pretty bad residual and a tough reality, and it would probably not be a sound financial decision if I traded my 6s in and pick up MZ6 sport for an additional 11k...but then again, the residual will not get any better and MS6 prices might not be that low ever again...still debating this one.
  • fasterthanyoufasterthanyou Member Posts: 131
    I test drove the Mazdaspeed 6 several times and owned an Rx8(no rattles in mine). I don't see where you find that difference in quality... both are built in Japan and the MSRP is pretty much the same. If your RX8 rattles is just bad luck. I had a Honda Accord that could won any contest for the biggest rattle trap ever built.
    You are right... the steering cannot compare. Rx8 has the handling of a real sports car. I suggest you to drive them again.
    One more thing...just to let you know RX8 has the same numbers as the current BMW M3 on a track. That should tell you something about the way RX8 handles.
    You didn't get the lion share when you shopped for cars with your wife. She did.
    Only DSG on the R32?.That is sad. I find DSG to be a lot closer in feel to an automatic transmission than a manual one. I guess I have to start saving for the new M3.
  • monkeymobilemonkeymobile Member Posts: 14
    Audi and VW will be pushing DSG/S-Tronic hard on all cars in coming years. My sister in law was in town this weekend with her new A3 2.0T DSG (oh, I mean "S-Tronic"), but I didn't have time to drive it. It could be the best semi-automatic in the world, but I doubt I'd buy one. Still, I want to give it a try...maybe next time she's in town.

Luckily, my wife has owned more manual transmission cars than automatics. She has an automatic now, so we have one of each tranmission depending on our "mission du jour" -- one for cruising, one for driving!

I think the MS6 would be a really weird car with an automatic given the narrow power band and lack of low-end torque -- maybe a 7-speed auto would help if it had complimentary ratios. The MS6 would probably kick [non-permissible content removed] with a CVT, though I wouldn't buy one! ;)

I'm guessing that's one of the reasons Mazda retuned the engine for the CX7. Its torque peak is 258 lb-ft at 2,500 RPM whereas the MS6 has 280 lb-ft at 3,000 RPM. The HP peak also occurs 500 RPM sooner.

Anyone drive a CX7 and an MS6 for comparison?

-monkeymobile
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Very neat description of the process of creating a passs-through. Thank you. I only want a pass-through large enough to be able to put snow skis in the trunk, but you've shown how it can be done.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Yes, the pass though with the current equipment is pretty easy but it will require additional padding on the skis unless you are dropping the 60% part. The added bracing is pretty rough/sharp. Furthermore, putting 4 people and skis is not going to work nicely with the MS6 as-is.

Frankly, I think it is an unfortunate oversight on the part of Mazda not to have an armrest pass through (which is pretty cheap) like those available on the LGT and the G35x. I guess this AWD sport sedan is not targetting skiers? :cry: In addition, many have already acknowledged that a set of winters is likely need for any real winter drives.

For those who cannot handle the 6 speed manual, G35x is probably the only decent choice. LGT auto is not comparable in IMHO. I recently test drove the '06 G35x and it is comparable to MS6 performance: it has a tad less go but it has a slightly nicer balance that results from the weight distribution being much closer to 50/50. The auto in the G is a decent one and it might work for a few folks as it can shifted manually. There is more driver involvment with the MS6 but the G is a tad more upscale. The G should be more comfy in everyday driving too but it does not feel as sharp as the MS6 when pushed... it needs a bit more torque!

Obviously, there is $4-5k in price difference at the current street price levels (comparing MS6 GT with msrp ~30.5k to bare G35x msrp ~$34k).
    An armrest pass-through for skis would be nice. Next research for me will be to buy winter tires for the MZSpeed6. Think I wll mount them on their own rims. Turbo works good in the mountains.
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    There is a way to fold the seats down. Check out the link below ;) :

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=c6584409802091508542e7517cfb3498&showtop- ic=43583
  • ccletzgoccletzgo Member Posts: 32
    I drove a CX7 last week. There was no way to compare. The CX7 was an automatic. :confuse: It had a delay when you hit the gas, Before you could feel a surge......
    Very strange. I didnt like it at all.
    wife..? I am the wife. Hubby drives a Gold Ford F350. He has the Lion. ;)
    My mistake...I mean your daughter ...She got a better car. I guess you wanted her to have the best.
    And yes...I always think at Ford as being the lion.(????)
  • mundo00354mundo00354 Member Posts: 5
    In terms of reliability, would you pick a mazdaspeed6 over an rx8? any comments are greatly appreciated
    RX8 does not have a good track record in the past. Supposedly all the flood problems have been taken care of though. MPG pretty bad, but the MS6 isn't great. Didn't expect either to be good, so no disappointment. Each has had a recall. Do alot of research on both. They are very different. One is a sport car and the other is not. MS6 is new, so reliability is hard to judge. So far very reliable. RX8, so far, fine. And so far, no flooding problems.
    I would pick the car I like more. People that think that there is a brand out there or a certain car that will be totally safe in terms of reliability are wrong. Every single manufacturer has lemons or cars with problems.
    Mazda has in general very reliable cars and I would think you cannot go wrong with any of this two cars. What I know for sure is that your choice should not be influenced by any reliability study.

P.S. The rotary engine in the RX8 requires a little more "maintenance". You will need to add oil between the regular oil changes. If that sounds okay I don't see any reason in choosing based on anything else than the performances of the two cars.
  • mundo00354mundo00354 Member Posts: 5
    hey thanks for the great feedback. I know that if I chose the rx8 I'd have to treat it with the knowledge that it's a rotary engine and it needs to be treated like one. thanks again
    RX8 is actually a very different beast, it looks better IMHO but it offers less utility; it is only a decent 4 seater and not a real 4-door. The rear wheel drive bias is going to give the vehicle a better feel in some situations but the performance will suffer in more diverse weather conditions.

Of course, its rotary engine means that you may not be able to take it anywhere for work but the Turbo in MS6 is not exactly a simple Chevy small block either.

My $0.02: it is a choice in lifestyle and function that may altimately dictate your decision.
  • eviljoeeviljoe Member Posts: 14
    So I'm hoping to buy an '06 MS6, however, since I can really only afford to finance about $18K-$19K, I'm wondering a few things:
    1. Will there still be any new '06 models around in December and January? Will the discounts/incentives continue to decrease the price (it seems now they're going for around $22K)?
    2. How long will it take before the new '07 models get discounted to the $22K-$23K range? I'm just wondering if, having learned about their value from the '06s, if dealers will bring prices down sooner?
    On the Mazdaspeed3 discussion it was quoted that about 6800 2006 Speed 6s were produced, but less that 2000 expect to be produced for 2007. That will change the balance between supply and demand. I doubt if discounts will increase; in fact prices could firm and even increase.
    The orginal estimates from Mazda where 5-6k units for each '06 and '07. Mazda needs the numbers to help with economies of scale! MPS maybe selling much better outside of the US (particularly Europe)... less than 10% of Americans buy a stick shift!

For those interested in a real world example: in '05 Saaburu 9-2x Aero had $7k in incentives and even with the lower production numbers in '06, the same units with slightly better 2.5L Turbos are now carrying $5k in rebates. The same WRXs get $1k extra in '06 over '05 models because of the bigger engine. Basically, the discounts are very similar in spite of lower production numbers for a very similar vehicle.

My guesstimate: similar prices will be available next year but the discounts may still not come until summer... just as they arrived this summer. Frankly, MS6 GT cannot be justified at over $30k, not this year, not next year. Does anyone think that even 2000 MS6s were sold prior to the current discounts?

Remember the current reality: prices typically fall until the model change.
  • stragfstragf Member Posts: 15
    Canadian perspective:
    You guys in the States are fairly fortunate on prices. In Canada, there just really is no negotiation on this vehicle. Specifically, I am looking at what is called the GT version. In Canada, the moment you go to leather, you get the moonroof, etc. (No nav or other options for 06 in Canada) The retail vs. dealer is as follows:

Wholesale Price**
    Base: $33227
    Freight: $1,195.00
    Optional equipment selected
    - FEDERAL AIR CONDITIONING EXCISE TAX (-EXTAX) $100.00
    - LEATHER PKG -inc: pwr moonroof w/tilt-up, ventilation feature & sunshade, door & trunk intelligent keyless entry system w/(2) transmitters, intelligent start system, heated front seats, unique leather trimmed seats, front/rear synthetic leather door panel trim (BL00) $2,584.00

Total: $37,106.00

This is COST :mad:
    Mazda Canada is now offering $4000 off. My dealer will give me $2000 more, and this all comes off of MSRP which is $40,090.00. Incidentally, this is without PDI, block heater, service charges etc. I can get the GT, moonroof for $34000 at home here, and my cousin is business manager at a Mazda dealership elsewhere, and when I gave him this price, he asked the owner, and the owner said buy it, because at that price he is making $100. It's crazy. I could go through alot of hassle and fly to the states, pick one up, and I save $2000 and take a few days out of my routine. Keep bargaining.
  • pounder2pounder2 Member Posts: 11
    I recently bought a Red GT model for 23,500 out the door.. No sunroof or compass, basic for the grand touring model.. Good DEAL??? So far I love the car (500 miles). The only problem is the tranny and clutch are strange. I thought this was considered a "slick and advanced shifter" by everyone. The "poppy" clutch has No real feel when taking off in first.. My main complaint / concern is when shifting from first to second I have to slightly pause as I seem to feel the syncros??? Not real bad, but no snick-snick :-( ??? 2nd to 3rd is clean and straight as are the other shifts. just the 1 to 2 that is not acceptable for a new car.. This car is very peppy and has had the flash. I hope another flash will be available as i think theres more power to be had along with good premium 93 octane. ;) Has anyone out there changed there own oil yet?? Peace - M :shades:
    So you didn't feel any difference in the shifting after the flash? I still have not taken mine in to get it done, but I have read that some people say it makes the shift a little smoother.
    Do you run 93 octane in your car? Its no where to be found around here.
    The dealer assured me that they had flashed it before I purchased.. I get 93 octane here in denton dallas area. Where are you that you can't get 93 octane?? Maybe they didn't flash?? Does anybody else feel this from 1st to 2nd??
  • davethomsondavethomson Member Posts: 9
    Yeah I have the same "issue" on 1st to 2nd. It isn't that all the other gears are smooth as butter, but 1st to 2nd is pretty bad. I love the car, but I feel that saying it isn't that bad would only be done to justify the purchase and would be just plain stupid as there is potentially an even more fun car sitting in our garage if they'd only fix it.

Anyone know the reason behind this? Think we could get another official recall to make it better if we got enough people commenting about it? Don't get me wrong, I can shift in it, but any car I jump in afterwards makes me wish it was different in the speed6 (everything from an EVO to my manual Saturn).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    is the problem there only when the car is cold? Or does it persist even after, say, 20 minutes of driving?

My Z was and my accord is very "resistant" to shifting when cold, but towards the end of my half-hour commute, they'd losen up nicely.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    They did change the clutch in someway from the early production ones. Big difference. 1-6 are smooth as butter in the newer produced ones.
    I didn't see in the owner's manual where the production date is marked on the car, and I haven't conducted a search yet. Mine seems to run and shift well. I have been spending all my recent spare time looking for different tires. The stock tires are summer only. It is snowing here tonight. Looking at Continental, Pirelli, and Bridgestone tires.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    yea, i got sick of my son asking me when was I going to learn to drive this car.... everytime we first take off. (1st to 2nd)
    Ever sense i told him to drive, and he did, ... he doesnt mention it any more.. ;)
    Hey thanks!!! I think you might be on to something as mine was produced 1 or 2/2006 ; I'll check and get back to you. Unfortunately, It was not noticed to much by me on my test drive but is now becoming a pain. It seems like some adjustment could be made?? Only first to second that is slow and rough.. :confuse: :cry:
    Also what are the probabilities of a new Flash improving the speed6?? Thanks..
    Can you tell by the VIN when it was produced? I got mine only 2 months ago so I'd think it was newer but I don't know. Temperature doesn't matter, neither does how long it's been driving. I live in Phoenix though so I haven't ever seen it get "cold" since I bought it.

Is it the clutch they changed for the newer revisions or the tranny? Can you give any reference to where you saw it stated that Mazda changed the clutch?

Thanks!

BTW, 1->2 is smoother if you pause between these two gears but none of the others need it. well, 2->3 does a little too I guess.
    For Production date look inside your driver's door. :surprise: Mine says 02/2006 , is this an early model or should it have had any of the "improvements"?? It is tolerable, but I want to be loaded for bear when I go to the dealer because they will say it is just fine and that's the way the car tranny ( 1st to 2nd not being as straight/clean as it should be) is built. Thanks for all your help before I have to go do battle with the lovely & slitherilly MAZDA Dealer who I suspect may have not even flashed the CAR as he said had occurred. Later - :shades:
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Can you tell by the VIN when it was produced?

if you email your full vin number I'll tell you what day your car was born...
    Hey do you have any more info, as I would really like to get my 1 to 2nd shift more "buttery" ..?? I know the dealer is going to say that's how it is supposed to be.. Does anyone else forsee another flash or maybe a group of aftermarket flashes being developed for the public / bigger markets. I live in the Dallas area. Thanks!!
    Wow, mine must have been sitting in the lot for a while. It says 11/2005. Who started the rumor that there were "updates" to the clutch later this year? Can you back that up with some source?
    Not sure what happened to the rest of the SPEED6 Clan??? They'll show up.
    Very interesting clutch and drive train!!! Still braking in, but she really jumps when in that POWER-band (4000-5700)!!

Still would like to learn more about the "PCM Flashes"..

More later
  • sallentuchsallentuch Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to figure out the money factor and residual value but for the Mazdaspeed 6 Sport. I'm looking for a 36 or 48 month lease with 10,500 miles (lowest available)(I have a short commute). The dealer is quoting me about 350 with 1500 down. Any thoughts or info on lease pricing would be really helpful.

Thanks for your help,

Simon
  • dashbbdashbb Member Posts: 119
    Unless of course if you have actually having any powerloss issues, please do NOT get the emissions recall done on your Mazdaspeed6. Numerous people, including myself, had virtually no problems prior to reflashing the ECU which is the solution to the powerloss issues!

The PCM/ECU reflash is basically conducting an electronic vasectomy on your car. You will not feel the boost kicking in anymore. Better yet, make sure you buy a vehicle that was manufactured AFTER April 2006 or wait until the 2007 model comes out. Since Mazda is doing $4k worth of rebates/incentives on he 06's, getting a post April-2006 car would be your best bet.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Those numbers might be high - take a look at Mazda's website.
    I am so disappointed. Had it done tues. No more boost. No differance in shifting issues from 1st to 2nd.

I want it UNDONE! :cry::cry::cry::cry: Wish I had read your post monday, before it went in on tues.........
    I got a Liquid Platinum Sport for $22,300. I'm trying to go easy on it for the break-in period, even though it's very difficult. The clutch IS weird (on/off), but I think I'll get used to it. I TRIED to get one manufactured after 04/06, but couldn't find any...mine was 10/05 and had 23 miles on it. Mazda America Credit is getting me for 10%, but only for 3 months, and USAA is only charging $96 a month to cover it.
  • pegasuszzpegasuszz Member Posts: 31
    One estimate was 15K in 2 years. If that's true, ouch!

The new models in the next 2yrs and rising V6 power levels might put the hurt on.
    There will be tough competition - Sport models: Sube WRX is due for a major update in fall 07. Their Legacy GT is being updated in the next 2 years. And Grandma's Camry now sports 270hp with the V6. I understand it's not a driver's car and not a direct comparison.
  • monkeymobilemonkeymobile Member Posts: 14
    OK, I'm confused. What's the difference between the 2006 cars that were manufactured after April with the factory-applied ECU and cars manufactured before then tat have the ECU flash applied at the dealer?

When I went to the dealer this summer, I drove an earlier, unflashed model and a factory flashed model and I bought the latter. The boost isn't as severe, but neither is it as peaky. The unflashed car felt fast from 3,500-5,500 RPM, but the factory flashed car felt faster all over and was *much* easier to drive.

-monkeymobile
  • zoomlesszoomless Member Posts: 1
    I had the recall performed in Aug. with similar results, dramatically reduced acceleration without a hint of the turbo kicking in. I went back to the dealer and asked to have it restored to the original condition. The Mazda Technical Center told the dealer it could not be done. The Technical Center representative told the dealer that if enough owners complain, maybe something will be done about it. If many of us let Mazda know of our displeasure, maybe something will be done. I have already filed my complaint via www.mazdausa.com web site. Go to the Inside Mazda tab, then Contact Us to send an e-mail to the Mazda North American Operations corporate headquarters in Irvine, CA. I know it is a long shot, but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    What part of the country are you in?
    I'm in Jacksonville, Florida. Only seen a few M6s, and no MS6s. I ended up getting one in Liquid Platinum and I REALLY like this color. I heard the LS ones looked lavender, but to me, it mainly just looks like dark silver or a shiny, light gray. I generally just start out in 2nd gear to avoid the jumpiness of 1st.
    Yeah, the demo I drove was that color. It's elegant, between gray and silver. It's a good choice for Florida compared to black.
  • richt5richt5 Member Posts: 43
    My test drive was almost the same, heavy traffic and not a chance to really feel the whole car. The clutch spring just popped and in traffic was frustrating. I believe the clutch can be fixed easily. The engine was quiet and the drivetrain felt good except for the clutch release. Car felt very solid.The salesperson said the car needed gas. After he put it in, I asked him what octane he put in , he said 87. That explains lack of power in many tests and driving situations.The interior and exterior finish is above average.I will buy one if the price is right.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion has been reopened in accordance with this post: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3319, 12 Nov 2006 2:43 pm. :)