Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• ssamahassamaha Member Posts: 17
    I have always preferred I6 to V6, the only reason manufacturers make V6 is to save money and space. The cast aluminum block also is a weight savings, and has no mechanical or thermal advantage. I-6 is usually much smoother due to the lack of need to harmonically balance, and also inherently more powerful for a certain level of compression (again due to the lack of harmonic balance drag).

The I6 will be easily a 400,000 mile engine, the V6 is a 200,000 at best..

The '06 is your last chance to get the better engine IMHO... as for the 7spd.. sure it's better, but not enough to offset the loss of the I6.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I know the fellow I talked to that owns a 320 CDI loves the car. I don't think the V6 will get any better mileage. Maybe buying a year old E320 CDI will be the best deal. Especially if you find someone willing to let it go for a bargain.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Heck, I'd give you 35K for a '05 cdi right now. I do a lot of highway miles, visiting central wisconsin, and it'd be a dream ride.
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    I just traded in the hard to find Touareg V10 for the reason that the opining of fuel tank neck is to small to get a nozzle in and sold Allroad 4.2 for reason on reliability; I got hit 13k on Treg and 12k on Allroad. For the M-B, I lost tons on 01 E320 wagon 4matic it leaded oil a few days after I took it home, 02 E430 4matic the bottom was too low on five inches snow, and the 55 was just too harsh.... And I liked none of them. So, the lessons? The 04 Passat tdi wagon, 05 sedan tdi and V8 4Runner are the cars in my carport and driveway. I am just a car fool!
  • mollymaxmollymax Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2005 CDI E-320 that is a real pleasure to drive. Took a trip to Mesa, Az. and hit speeds of 100+, and did city driving and averaged 35.3 MPG. Not bad for an economy car, but outrageous for a luxury car. This is not your grandfathers "diesel" car. This car has tremendous power for 2 tons. No I'm not a car salesman, but a very happy owner.
    How offen should the oil be changed on a CDI? I did my first one at the dealership at 3,200 miles. They weren't able to change the oil filter as they didn't have one in stock. I will have to give them a call and see if they got one. They used Mobile 1. I think every 15,000 miles is too long between oil changes. What do you think?
    Does anyone know of any more CDIs coming into the States?
  • harley3harley3 Member Posts: 10
    I would agree with you on the 15,000 K between changes . I used synthetic oil in my last diesel Benz and changed in the 6000 - 7000 mile range ....... running strong when I picked up the new one . Just curious as to what the dealer vcharged for the oil change without the filter.
    I just picked up a new CDI . Incredible car ...... I had a 1998 E300d and it had in excess of 200K when I decided to move onto the new one ....... Much different than the last one ...... Torque is incredible ..... mileage is incredible ...... I am experiencing a shake in the drivers seat just off idle . usually when I am parking the car . It occurs in drive or reverse ....... will have it checked out with the first oil change . probably at the 7000 mile mark . anyone else have any problems with their CDI.? :)
    I asked the dealer to include the price of the filter with the oil change. That way when the service manager calls me when it is in ........He will have it changed out. I will give him a call in the morning and see if they received any oil filters for the CDI. It is very easy to change from the top of the engine. The oil is very easy to drain also. Just remove the middle panel under the engine and there is the drain plug. I added the "plastic chrome" around the head lights, tail lights,and the mirrors. Changed out the grill for the one with the Mercedes Star, put the "chrome" guards behind the door handles. Installed the "QUAD" tail pipes and the car looks FABULOUS. I removed the E-320 and CDI from the back of the car and on the drivers rear I put my initials SLS. Lots of looks from other Mercedes drivers trying to figure out what kind of special car this is. In my opinion it is a KEEPER (car).
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I saw on a local dealers website that has an 05 CDI with approx. 7k miles on it. It has a listing price of $47,950. Don't know what the exact options are, from what I see for sure it has Leather, HK sound, heated seats, and sunroof. Doesn't this seem like a good deal?
    GPS or NAV? What option package? What State? MSRP is around $51,075.00. There are not too many for sale........dealers in Calif. are asking over MSRP for used ones with 7,500 miles or more. The '05 diesel engine will last longer then the all aluminum V6, but the lighter engine should give a little better fuel economy due to it weighing less. I think if you like the car's color and interior $45,000.00 would be my offer.
  • ray00edmray00edm Member Posts: 12
    I wonder why you guys only talk about 05 CDI, shouldn't we be talking about 06 CDI?
    '05 and '06 CDI are the same car... just that the assembly line on the one ended in April, and the other started in May...
    BTW... what's a fair price for an '05 CDI in California now-a-days with NAV, Metalic, CD changer, and Sunroof package? Are they fetching over Sticker still as used cars?
    Yes the dealers buy them out of state and mark them up over MSPP with 7,500 or more miles on them. That dosen't mean that they won't deal on them.
    Other than whats stated in my last message, I'm not sure. It seems with the options it could be around $55k or so. The dealer is in VA.
    Without options I believe the base MSRP price is $51,075.00. From there the price can and does increase with the "OPTIONS". Make the best deal you can, and enjoy the car.
    and be advised that $51,075 is completely stripped... no leather, no DVD nav, no CD changer, no Sunroof, no heated seats, etc... You'll need to spend at least $54000 for a basic CDI and upwards of $60,000 for a loaded one.
    Yes it would be a plain CDI with NO options at that price.
  • f1docf1doc Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have knowledge regarding plans to offer a CDI engine with AWD? in E-class or C-class? Is CDI to continue only as an I6 engine?
    2007 V6 CDI model good for at least 200,000 miles vs the I6's 400,000 miles.
    2006 CDI E-320 base price without options has been increased.
    Just checking to see if anyone else is experiencing any problems with their CDI ??? A couple of minor nuisances with mine at 7500 miles as follows:
    - When I start up and place the car in reverse, it feels like th brakes are setting up or something . making nose almost like a chatter then they are fine .....
    - The transmission delays going into drive first thing in the am or when I go from reverse to drive
    - Coming to a stop, the transmission does not downshift smooth and it feels like the brakes are not going to stop the car ... It takes more pressure than it should ...... Otherwise a fantastic car .

Will be making an appointment to take it in shortly ........ Also, anyone have Satellite in their car in their car >>> If so, who installed it ........

Thank You
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I have the 2005 E320 CDI now with about 9600 miles, so far no problems. Fuel usage about 25 city (Houston, Texas) and 33 highway. No Satellite system.
    I got up to 35 mpg watching the "mpg" while driving carefully in the city. Kind of fun as long as no one is on your butt, and the red lights are short. The secret is not to be the first one to the red light. Saves on getting brake dust on the rims also.
    I have the ability to receive it, but most of my driving is city with plenty of radio stations. I have loaded the 6 disk CD player with CDs that I bought at Costco. Saving $12.00 a month without it. Might buy a ipod at Costco ...........4GHZ .
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the diehard diesel lovers will covet the I-6 CDI over the V6... Aluminum block engines, and V6 engines don't serve any mechanical advantage over Iron block I-6, they both simply make the car more economical... the V6 allows for more room to add the engine into other platforms, and add features like AWD, and the Aluminum is for weight savings, nothing more, as the iron block is far less susceptible to thermal expansion from warmups, and cracking of the block. I am sure the I-6 can run (if well maintained) for 500,000 before overhaul.
    Yes I agree with you about more engine compartment space with the V6. I think Mercedes will be inserting a electric motor (hybred) in the future with all the extra space. Could be a good thing "Diesel Electric" just like the cruise ships and trains. Use the V6 CDI to charge the batterys..........
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    My brother just bought one for $47k (Nave, 6cd, etc.. 53k msrp). I couldn't believe it. It must be the demand/supply in this region.
    What year...............?
    Northern New Jersey. 2005.
    Very nice price...........
  • bwhite1bwhite1 Member Posts: 1
    I agree regarding the reason to build bent engines. I don't know however about the relative durability of the aluminum block V-6. Is this a brand new engine or does it have a history in other markets?
    And will they offer 4-Matic with this engine?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well the new V6 won't have the history of the I6 when it comes here, but it is on sale in Europe now in the C,E, CLS and in a few months the new ML and the new S-Class. Yes 4Matic will be offered for the first time on a Mercedes diesel due to the space saved by using a V6 vs the longish I6.

M
    Thanks. That's great news. I am not too concerned about longevity of V6 vs. I6 since I believe most MB engines are durable enough for most.
    The V6 will be a great motor, and durable I'm sure.. but not as durable as the iron block I6... so it's not a matter of durable vs non-durable... but more durable vs super-durable.
    Thanks. I understand that. I am more concerned about other things holding up long enough besides the engine/powertrain.
    Does the CDI's have the same electrical problems as the base E's?
  • mtttxmtttx Member Posts: 1
    Mine did the same thing at about 17K, The Dealer said it was gas in the fuel. After charging me to drain and dispose of the fuel, no fix. Finally, After investigating it myself. It turned out to be the EGR Valve, the changed it under warrantee and problem solved. They even refunded the fuel issue. MB must know about this, it is pretty common with CDIs (it took two weeks to get a new EGR valve)

I'm sure this is your problem, Let me know if this helps
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak with a woman who own a Mercedes E320 CDI sedan. Please reply to jhelperin@edmunds.com if you are interested in being interviewed for this article. Please respond no later than Friday, August 5, 2005

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Talking about the 4Matic for CDI, I just called the MB headquarter and local dealership, both of them said," no 4Matic for 2006", so when will MB release the 4Matic, especially the wagon form? And according to Aug. Motor Trend report( p.33 ) the E420 CDI with 310 hp. and 538 ft. will be launch this fall as 2006 model, is this E420 coming up to North America? I drove 98 MB diesel for two years, by comparing my VW V10 tdi in Touareg and 2.L tdi in my 04 & 05 Passats, the 98 MB diesel was quite out of date. The new CDI will be different story of course.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The new V6 E320 CDI model will be a 2007 model. I doubt if we'll see a diesel wagon here, and the V8 E420 CDI is even less of a possibility. 4Matic has to wait until the new V6 hits the market because it won't fit with the current I6, so the 2007 model year is the earliest for 4Matic and a diesel. Mercedes is going to time the V6 diesel intro with the wide spread availability of cleaner diesel fuel which has to be in place by law by Sept 2006, so late 2006 is the earliest you'll see the new V6 CDI engine in the E, which will also get a facelift for 2007. The V6 models won't get any more power since both the V6 diesel and gas engines are new in the E350 and E320 CDI, only the V8 E500 will get a new engine, the 382hp V8 from the 2007 S500.

M
    Thank you so much for the detailed description of the E-Class. Since 01 I got an E320 wagon 4matic which I traded for 430 4matic sedan replaced by the bumpy 55, I sold it to Lexus for LS 430. The Tdi engines impressed me and stirred my desire for the new MB CDI engines. I am glad to know the new E500 V8. If there is no gas guzzler tax on this engine, I might be interested.
    According to the German MB site, the V6 TDI is actually a 3 litre engine (current I6 is 3.2 litres). Their E280 is also a 3 litre but producing 190 hp instead of 224 in E320.
    The '05's and newer MB's are 100% more reliable than prior models as during this time, MB launched a major campaign to attain JD's #1 spot in quality which cost the company $2Billion... they've just announced that they will abandon this goal, but nevertheless, the quality was dramatically improved since the 2002-3 production time.
  • fshafferfshaffer Member Posts: 2
    I am sure that you have found the filter by now. I have been trying to buy after market Mann 721/2x filters and all that seem to be available is Hengst. I've used them many times in my 92 Diesel, but am weary about the CDI. What do you think about the 13,000 interval of oil change? I've 14,000 on mine since Apr. 2004 and have changed it twice and feel guilty at that. The Diesel Dr. Booth says it's OK to run the Mobile 0-40 the 13,000. I've always changed my Diesels at 3,000 mi. How are you doing on mpg. I've averaged 38+ since new. My last fill-up was 41 mpg. and that was the old fashioned way.
    Regards,
    Frank
  • fshafferfshaffer Member Posts: 2
    For a Diesel I agree on the long 13,000 mile oil change. I've changed mine twice in 14,000 and feel guilty at that. I've always done 3000 on all my Diesels. The filter has been available at my local dealer at around $13.00 with Mecedes Club Discount. After market only seems to have Hengst at about $11.44 plus shipping. The orgininal from MB are Mann # 721/2x. I feel about 6,000 would be a good place to change with Mobile 0-40.
  • blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    I'm about to order my first ever new MBZ. I "accidentally" test drove a CDI about a year ago and have been trying to talk myself out of buying one ever since. Now that I've read this entire forum, I am truly hooked!

Currently driving an Audi A6 wagon, fully loaded. The thing I am most hooked on is Parktronic. I find I don't use the Nav so much- is cumbersome, although there have been a few times when it has been absolutely great to have. Am curious what people are thinking about the MBZ nav system: do you use it? One person mentioned the system had too many layers to easily enjoy. Others? Anyone using the Sirius satellite radio?
    Also, my 4 day per week commute is 2 miles each way. Has me concerned. Thoughts? (I know, it SUCKS to only have a 5 minute drive to work in such a beautiful auto!!)
    Does anyone else have strong pro or con feelings about the panorama roof? Upholstery color- does the lighter (stone) show dirt very quickly?

Thank you- I await your comments with anticipation!