Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• klauskklausk Member Posts: 14
    First, please look at my note 411 of 413. As far as gas mileage is concerned, I think no cars get what it says on the window sticker, however I am showing around 30 MPG just going to town and back, about 25 miles round trip with some traffic lights. On trips I see about 33 to 36 MPG with a much as 40 in the mountains, which is most likely due to the leaner mixture in high altitude (Colorado). I also noticed that the gas mileage changes 1 to 2 MPG between going on a very smooth road (asphalt)or a corse road (like tar and gravel). Considering the size and the weight of this automobile, IMHO there is no better performing car car and I mean performance and gas mileage than the E320CDI. I do not work for MB and own no stock in the company. I also own a GMC Denali (top notch automobile), but I am waiting for MB to announce the MClass with the 3.2l in line 6 or the 3l V6 Bluetec Diesel. My next car will be that one or the Touareg V10 Diesel. I love Diesels.
  • rbarkleyrbarkley Member Posts: 14
    I currently own a 05 E320 cdi and currently get between 33 to 37 mpg on the highway. I have over 50,000 on mine and love the car except for the fact I'd like a larger and longer wheel base for a smother ride. The R class just might fit the bill, although MB seem to be giving the gas model away right now. What's up with that? Is the R class going to be discontinued? I am concerned about the mileage and the fact that it's a v6. I have heard the the in-line 6 is a far superior engine for longevity.

I am also looking forward to using ULSD and was wondering when it will come to a station near me in Minnesota
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    No the R isn't going to be discontinued, but you should be able to get a good deal on the R320 CDI also. It doesn't use the bluetec technology like the 07' E320. Yes the old I6 is a durable motor (made of iron), but no one knows how the V6 will hold up and I seriously doubt MB would sacrafice any durability with their diesels. This new V6 has to do the same duty as the old I6 so I'd say that it is up to the task and it will be much cleaner running to boot.

M
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    It is not true that no car equals the sticker mileage.

All the VW diesel cars not only equal the sticker mileage but get better......

I also think the E320 will meet and probably beat the sticker mileage figure too. You might have to wait until it gets broke in a little......

Jimmy
  • hlcastelohlcastelo Member Posts: 45
    I hope we don't face a shortage of type 2 diesel. I recall reading an article about a month ago highlighting some concerns. I believe the '07 model will have what is called bluetec technology for leaner emissions but yet use the same type of diesel fuel. here in miami, i have not heard of supply limitations. the price of diesel is all over, in some cases higher than premium in other cases slightly lower.

Aside from the great mileage, any performance issues? Troubles encountered?

Thanks for your feedback.
  • jmoodyjmoody Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 E320 w/ panorama roof. Don't worry about the sun, etc. If it bothers you then you can always clothes the roof to cover the moon roof.

I am still trying to figure out how everthing works in my car .. I don't know what half the buttons do, today I just found a new compartment after I've had the car for over a month =P

Does anyone know about how much it cost to hook up the phone and emergency systems? :confuse:
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    The Oil Companies and our congress are playing games just like they did in 1973 and 1974.

Write your congressman.

Jimmy
  • noanswernoanswer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 E320 CDI with the EXACT same problem that developed over the past few days. NO biodiesel has been used by me (only Exxon or Shell).

Waiting for the dealer to call. I saw with interest the drive-by-wire comments. Perhaps there is a faulty sensor regarding the brakes (i.e., the engine thinks you're braking when you're not). I know there is a brake recall for the 2005 E320.

But basically, I don't think this is a transmission problem.

The reason is, if I put the car in neutral or park, I can't get the RPM's over 3000. It is almost as though a throttle limiter is in effect. Turn the car off for a few minutes and it's perfectly fine.
  • klauskklausk Member Posts: 14
    No performance issue, as a matter of fact I really like the performance. I believe that I get better performance than from my 2000 E430, which I traded for this one. Going uphill on long stretches of the interstate, this car feels so effortless, same in the mountains of Colorado. I had a problem with the climate control, which was fixed by replacing the control unit for the climate control. This car is great. BTW, I read yesterday that here in central Texas Shell is going to start marketing B20 diesel, which means 20% is bio diesel. Now I have to see if MBUSA will approve this fuel or not.
    Thanks. Well I picked up an '06 320cdi yesterday in Barolo Red. Just two days and very happy so far. First MB although I have a Chrysler Crossfire. I'm not familiar with B20 but I have read here about issues with MB warranty voidance for not using standard diesel type 2. What are the advantages of B20? Does it make sense for owners to contact/lobby for acceptance of this type of diesel fuel? I would be happy to do so - assuming this is a viable vehicle.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    I will leave the details of the advantages of burning Biodiesel in your vehicle to those with more knowledge, but off the top, Biodiesel is a renewable resource, greenhouse neutral (since CO2 is consumed by the plants that produce it), and can be produced in this country. Thus it both helps reduce greenhouse gas production and helps reduce our dependence on imported oil.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Biodiesel generally is made from crops like Soybeans that are less damaging to the environment than corn. It is also made from used cooking oil. It is a very good fuel with only a few negatives. It does need to be used in warmer climates in the winter, or mixed with number one diesel. There is little or no loss of MPG with biodiesel. I believe you should contact BioWIllie with the warranty issue on the E3230 CDI. He drives one on B100.
  • vl39vl39 Member Posts: 14
    I have had my 2006 CDI for several months and 3000 miles.

We also have a 98 E300 TD and it was the best car I have ever owned, considering performance, handling, economy, and appearance. The 98 has never had a maintenance problem until recently, and we just changed the front disc pads at 130,000 miles. We recently changed the glow plugs and a leaking unit on the fuel pump for a total of $1500 over the 8 years and 130,000 miles.

Howevwer, the 2006 CDI is a much better car than the 98. It has a better ride and the fuel mileage at this point is 15% to 20% better, 35 plus mpg at 70 mph and 33 plus at 75 mph. I bought the car with all options and everything is working beyond my expectation. If one has $50 to $60k to spend on an automobile, I can't imagine them buying anything but an E class diesel.
    I have asked MBUSA about biodiesel, and I am told that B5 can be used in MB diesel. My problem is I can only find B10 or higher in the Midwest.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    Because the topic of warrantees being voided by using Biodiesel has been discussed here, I will use this forum to try to get a question answered. Most (all?) manufacturers of diesel vehicles seem to prohibit the use of Biodiesel. Why? I can see them not wanting to fix engines damaged by the use of Biodiesel produced privately using a discarded water heater. Is that their concern? However, my understanding is that commercially sold Biodiesel has to meet similar standards to petro-diesel. Am I right? If that is the case, maybe we could work on the manufactures of the vehicles to allow the use of commercially available Biodiesel. If there is some other reason that Biodiesel might cause problems, then we have to address that.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• shawn757shawn757 Member Posts: 204
    Hey I have a question,
    I live in california. I see that this car is not sold in California. Can I buy it from another state and register it in cali? Will I have a problem?
    I have noticed on my new 320 cdi (standard seats) that the leather inserts on the floor cushion of driver seats has created a wavy or folded appearance instead of laying flat. Is this normal or is due to the Florida Heat! beating on the leather seating surface.
    The E320 CDI has to be used with 7500 miles to be registered in CA.
    I have averaged 33.1 mpg for the first 6000 miles on a new 2006 CDI(20% city miles). At 70 mph the car gets between 36 and 37 mpg and at 75 mph it runs at 34.5 mpg. I have had intervals of 39 mpg at 70 mph. The mileage is 20% better than my 98 E300TD. Most trip around town (driving moderately) run 30 mpg or better.
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    Better yet, the E320 CDI is fast enough to give you the level of performance; I do mostly local and city driving with full speed aircon blow, I average 27- 29 mpg, in 12 months I put about 13k in the odometer, a really good car indeed. My dilemma is will I be interested in the 3.L V6; if the new engine gets 224 hp and 388-398 ft.?
    I opted for the 2006 because the in-line six is a proven engine. I am concerned about the V6 diesel. The V6 balancing requires counter balancing(all V6)and there have been some problems with the gasoline V6. Given the much higher compression ratio for the diesel which leads to bigger loads, will the aluminum V6 hold up?

I would like to have the lighting package on the 2007, but I don't care for the more aggressive front end.
  • oldtaroldtar Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the no-cost sports option will be available in the 2007 CDI MB?
    The catalogs which sent to the dealers by MBUSA just got to the dealership today; the long expecting diesel engine data are not as good as I would expect, for the E320 Bluetec, the engine has aluminum cylinder block with cast-iron cylinder sleeves, it gives 208 hp @3800 rpm and 388lb-ft @ 1600-2400 rpm, with curb weight of 3860 lb, 0-60 at 6.6(same as the inline six), for ML 320 CDI, the engine has the cast-iron cylinder block, aluminum crank case with cast-in grey iron liners, aluminum-alloy heads, the hp is 215 not 221 @3800rpm and 398 lb-ft @ 1400-2800rpm, with curb weight of 4817 lb, 0-60 at 8 seconds, both of engines require the ULSD fuel which is allowable with 5% biodiesel.
    According to the 07 E-Class catalog the sport Package is not available for E320(should be E300) Bluetec and E63AMG.
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    BLUETEC diesel fails to meet 50-state emissions requirement

link title
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'm not sure why this is coming up now, it has been common knowledge that the Bluetecs won't be sold in those 5 five states until the EPA approves Adblue (urea) injection.

M
    With a specialized set of filters and catalytic converters the Bluetec is not tec enough to be blue; on the other hand, the ML320 CDI with no such things mentioned in the MBUSA new catalog has a different set up of the identical engine which puts out more hp and ft(215, 398)looks more attractive! I wish would be the otherway around.
  • nimhrodnimhrod Member Posts: 49
    How much did your MB Extended Warranty cost?Am at 40,000 miles and am going to buy the MB extended warranty. But I've heard the cost varies widely from dealer to dealer. Can anyone share with me what yuo paid and when it was purchased? WOuld your dealer allow me to buy it from them? Or is there a truly reputable and cost effective alternative?

Thanks!
  • benzodieselbenzodiesel Member Posts: 10
    What if you are a CA resident who buys, registers and drives the vehicle in another state for a year, then wants to transfer registration to CA? Thanks.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Has anybody done this?
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    benzodiesel, yes, i understand that is a workable technique. you can transfer the reg to cali after the car has 7500 miles. you will need to use a valid address in the non-cali state. and be sure to let your insurance company know where the car is *really* garaged/parked most nights, wink wink nudge nudge say no more.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    greezykid1, i haven't done it but i understand that the AMG wheels for the same chassis are 17s. i think there is a guy on tdiclub who has done it, not sure if he used AMG wheels or got some properly sized/offset/lug-pattern aftermarket wheels.
    fwiw, there might be an mpg cost to swapping 16s for 17s, especially since "kids nowadays" like to go for wider and/or softer tires too. check the AMG17" tire size available on the most recent E55 - sticking with that size should ensure that the tires don't scrape the wheel-wells when you are doing opposite-lock countersteering after disabling the stability control. (actually i think in this car it is not possible to entirely disable the stability control, so forget about those drifting contests and opposite-lock countersteering, ok!?)
    also it wouldn't be a bad idea to verify your plan with your local Benz-certified Hans & Franz mechanics or service reps before shelling out $.
  • henryb1henryb1 Member Posts: 7
    thought i read in one of the responses about winter driving a particular recommendation for type of winter tires. have looked through all of the responses and seem to have missed it. any help as to good recommendation for winter tires for the 2006 e320 cdi?. winter coming soon in my neighborhood and want to be prepared.-----henryb1
  • ctccobractccobra Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 06' e320 CDI and purchased a 1 yr/100K MB warranty for $1900 with $0 deductible.
  • benzodieselbenzodiesel Member Posts: 10
    You mean 10 yr?
  • todd53todd53 Member Posts: 47
    2006 E320 CDI
    -Premium Package
    -Sirius Radio
    -Iridium Silver (Metallic Paint)
    -MSRP listed on Window Sticker: $55,965

With no negotiation on my part, dealer came back with a price of $50,500 + Tax, Title & License. Car still has shipping plastic on it and only 16 miles. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me, but please give me your feedback.

Thanks
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    The last few cars I have bought "preowned" All 3 were MBs.

4 months ago I bought a 2005 CDI. It had only 3500 miles and I have the original sticker for $64,000. It has EVERYTHING including panorama roof,dynamic vented front seats,parktronic,keyless go, full leather pkg, light pkg,electronic trunk,nav,HK sound system etc. Paid $48,000.

18 months ago bought a SLK350 with only 1800 mi on it---90 days old. Almost 20% off sticker.

Located both cars on the internet but did not buy until I actually saw the cars.Had to follow sites for 2-3 months until I found these cars.

No more buying new from MB dealer for me. Together saved $25,000 off list on the 2 cars
    My 2005 CDI has a water problem. Whenever it rains, the trunk lid ends up with water IN it. When I open and then close the lid I can hear and feel water rolling around and shifting in there. Plus the inside of the trunk is wet.

Anyone else with this same problem?

Thanks,

David - VA
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I too own a 2005 E320 CDI and have no problems with water in the trunk.
  • johndix60johndix60 Member Posts: 21
    2006 CDI in South Fla and in all the summer rains the entire car remained dry as dust.
    The CDI trunk is same as the other E-Class' lids. The materials for the lid is made of ligt alloy. I own my 05 CDI for over a year with almost 15k in the odometer; so far so excellently good, the lid is glassy smooth, the trunk is as dry as it can be. In your case, you may have some kind of cracks or pin holes on the lid. Just take the car back to the dealership, and have them replace the lid!
  • tuffy72tuffy72 Member Posts: 12
    Hello, and thank you for reading this. I'm new to the forum experience but I have been watching your forum for the last year or so. I've finally worked up to the Mercedes. This will be my first one and I would like make sure I can get the best deal with your help. I've pre-arragned financing at my bank 3.90 for 60m I plan on putting up $18k myself to keep my payment cheap. I've spoken to the manager in Baton Rouge told him I would be paying cash. He offered invoice price and mentioned $3500 cash back if I buy this month. However I am in Military in Bahrain and won't be back until 2nd of November. Would waiting until I got back get me a better change of a deal since the 07's are coming in the next week or so? Or should I make the deal now becuase the cash back program will be over? The TMV price with the options is saying $55k. With the new year coming out can I get it cheaper, I am willing to travel :confuse:
    My understanding is that that cashback is not likely to disappear until later this year. It may have another name, but it should be there.

One other thing to consider if you are thinking of a CDI. The new Bluetech engines are not iron, but aluminum alloy. translated- not as durable. I think this is right. Plus, in order to comply with new emissions regs they have some sort of tank the exhaust flows through where it's mixed with some sort of chemical to "detoxify" it. This tank needs to be emptied and refilled periodically. Another maintenance issue.

Look at the posts here for buying a used CDI. I bought mine on eBay for almost $20k UNDER the sticker. It's a 2005 and was a year and a half old. Still smells, runs, and looks new. And what a savings on taxes and depreciation. And it's got the 50k mile MB warranty.

It's something to consider. Save your hard earned military cash. These cars (CDI) are amazing. What a horse!

Regards,

David
    Thanks for your advice David. To get the 3.90 it has to be a new car or it will be 5.0%. Needs to have the GPS, keyless go, lthr wood steering wheel,xenon,lthr. I'll be looking all the time, but if you see anything of interest give me a ring. I Ebay everyday too. But if I can get a 05 a lot cheaper I'll jump for it.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    One other thing to consider if you are thinking of a CDI. The new Bluetech engines are not iron, but aluminum alloy. translated- not as durable.

Ummm, I'm thinking that one has nothing to do with the other. True, if you took a sledge hammer and started bashing the side of the block, you would most likely break cause considerable to the Alloy block well before you broke through the Iron block. That said, a case can easily be made that suggests that the Alloy block will significantly out last the Iron one. What?!? Blasphemy!

Well, not really. I have no problem believing that DC designed the Alloy block so as to be more than rigid enough to deal with the torsional forces applied to you typical engine block. Assuming that is the case and that the crank, pistons, rods and all other moving parts are kept perfectly positioned, the only wear point would probably be considered to be the cylinder walls. The thing is that the cylinder walls can be sleeved or coated with any number of metals or silicon formulations that will actually make the cylinders considerably stronger than Iron.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Called a couple of dealers in and out of the area. No one has a 06 car with keyless go and even new 06s for that matter are east to find. Except a dealer that is asking $57 for a used with 12000 on it 1900 miles away. :cry: I looked into the 07 but for what I want it is out of my price range plus the wait. I have changed what I want many times just to try and find it cheaper, not really working out. Still looking :shades:
    I just did a testdrive the 07 A8 this afternoon; the car felt no faster than my 05 E320 CDI which was offered $37100.00 for the trade in at 14k miles. I plan not to work so much as I am entering 60 and don't drive as much as I intend to take easier life. In order to enjoy somewhat mountain winter snow, I look into the A8. The price I was given was only one k off $74020.00 MSRP( with the ppd package) for the royalty discount(I did own 04 4.2 Allroad). The 07 4.2 engine is a direct inject 32 valves instead of the 40 of 06 and earlier ones. Any advice or suggestion will surely be appreciated! The CDI has been an excellent car, it went back to dealer onetime for 6.5k check up and onetime the oil and filter. Much less trips to the gas station is one of the best features that CDI gives to me.
    If it was my car I would offer it for sale in CA. You should get near what you paid with 14k miles. Dealers are all going to shaft you on trade-ins. That is the name of the game. They are at least $8k under what it is worth. You wonder how they sleep at night. Dwelling on the bottom with lawyers.
  • kpc02kpc02 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone explain the straight six 320 cdi's current pollution specs re sulfur dioxide with the new fuel formulation. Aslso does anyone know about levels of particulate ie soot? Thanks!
    I thought I would mention in passing that MBenz states that the ultra low sulfur diesel can be used in the 06CDI. There is no impact on mileage or the warranty. I wanted this confirmed in writing. I am finding the price of the ultra to be the same as the other in South Florida.