Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• roland3roland3 Posts: 431
    ... Marsha, also there are many vehicles on the road with no seperation systems at all. The filter(s) actually will not pass water (that is not in solution, very small trace) and it is a good idea to carry a spare filter. I believe the newer cars have sealed tank/fuel systems and condensation does not seem to be much of a problem. On a boat it's a good idea to drain a small amount of fuel out of the filter or low spot in the fuel system every day; unless you have a seperatin unit with a sight glass. Any water is readily visiable in a small cup.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    When I took my 2005 CDI in for service the dealer replaced my fuel hoses. No problems.
  • nimhrodnimhrod Posts: 49
    Was just one leaking or several? Did they replace them all as a preventative measure or just the leaky ones?
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    All I can tell you is that I don,t have any leaks. Never saw a leak before the change.
  • bazohimbabazohimba Posts: 14
    I've ordered a 2008 E 320 bluetech, and I'm curious about the price of the Extended Warranty, both when purchasing the car, and getting bids from other MB dealers. Also what amount of difference in service and cost of independent companies warranties??
    After calling numerous MB dealers for extended warranty pricing, I've come to one conclusion- buy it early in your new car's life. It's much cheaper to buy it with low miles.

I ended up buying an aftermarket warranty from JM&A. They were rated #1 in JD Power ratings. Buy the Platinum coverage. You don't have to worry about what's not covered- they have a list of what is not covered. And if it's not on that list it's covered!

I paid about $3,000 for three extra years and up to 98,000 miles. A bargain compared to other warranties for cars with 48,000 miles already on them.
  • dorenhagendorenhagen Posts: 2
    Just drove it back from Chicago and actual measured mileage reflected computer calculated mileage of 39.4 MPG @ 70 MPH. This little sweetheart only had 14,500 miles and was in perfect condition. Couldn't be happier.

What are the know problems with this car to be on alert for?

Thanks.
  • vl39vl39 Posts: 14
    Can anyone pass along their fuel mileage experience on a 2007 or 2008 Blue Tec.
  • My wife and I took European Delivery of a 2008 E320 Blutec in late September and drove 1500 mi from Stuttgart through Austria, Switzerland, Italy and France before dropping car in Nice for shipment home. (Great experience, highly recommended, MB really took care of us in Sindlefingen). On three fill-ups of mixed highway and local/city driving we had 36.7mpg, 32.5mpg, 34.5mpg. I kept highway down to about 65mph and we didn't use the air conditioner much. My guess is that when the car is broken in we'll see 37+ highway. We were thoroughly pleased with the car, our sixth MB, and look forward to its arrival.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    Welcome to the Forum.
    That sounds like a great way to buy a Mercedes. Keep us posted after it gets to the US. Did you save enough of the European delivery to pay for the trip?
  • Thanks for the info. I bought an '05 CDI with 14K miles in June. Mileage figures: on the highway at 65 - 70 MPH I get 40 mpg. In the city I get 30 mpg. I drive very conservatively however.

For example, I am able to nurse about 17 mpg out of my '07 Wrangler in the city!! No small feat.

Thanks for the answer! I LOVE my diesel Mercedes.

I do wonder why diesel fuel is so much more however. When I bought my CDI diesel was $1 LESS per gallon in Chicago.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,273
    Just on an off-chance, you don't by any chance live in California or another of the CARB states do you? I know that MB is bringing them into CA on a very limited basis (only a few and only for lease) so they must be legal. This would be a great way to get one and have a nice trip as well.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• Not sure we paid for the whole 18 days, but the 7% off put a real dent in the cost. Had we arrived, taken delivery, immediately dropped it off for shipment as some seem to, we would have come out well ahead.
  • No, I am in Florida and go back and forth to Maine, where the dealer could not sell us one. The 2008 E320 Blutec is not approved for CA and the other four states, says my Certificate of Origin. I believe that will change part way through this model year when the urea additive system is supposed to be added to the car as a "running change", although the Maine dealer told me he thought 2009. I don't know why the delay, as that system has been used in Europe for some time.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,273
    Thanks. I guess I will have to be patient (not my strongest suit).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• Is it your understanding that they will add the urea system to the 2007/2008 Bluetecs retroactively? Any idea on the cost?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    As far as I know, all "Bluetec" cars (Mercedes-Benz or otherwise) have a urea system.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Lately I've been having weird things happen to my '05 CDI. When I turn off the car to go inside the house, the engine shuts down, but everything electrical continues to run. The parking lights stay on, the heater fan & radio continue to run, dash lights, too.

When I get back into the car and restart the engine and turn off again, everything is good. This is happening about 1 out of every 10-15 times. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • I have recently changed my E300 TD for this E320 CDI whilst happy with the car in general I am not happy with the suspension over uneven road it appears to bottom out with heavy bumps which travels through out the car, and tyre noise over surface dressed roads make more noise than the radio, I had a new set of tyres which improved this by 20%, Mercedes garage says its normal with no faults to report, after paying $43700 in US money £21850 GBP I find it a bone shaker rather than a luxury saloon, I now wish I kept my old E300 TD which gave a much smoother ride on all road surfaces. Have anyone else had this problem.
    My '05 was very noisy for a luxury sedan, until I changed tires. Big difference. I stuck with Michelin's. I've heard this from others, too.