Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• Thanks for the info. I bought an '05 CDI with 14K miles in June. Mileage figures: on the highway at 65 - 70 MPH I get 40 mpg. In the city I get 30 mpg. I drive very conservatively however.

For example, I am able to nurse about 17 mpg out of my '07 Wrangler in the city!! No small feat.

Thanks for the answer! I LOVE my diesel Mercedes.

I do wonder why diesel fuel is so much more however. When I bought my CDI diesel was $1 LESS per gallon in Chicago.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,338
    Just on an off-chance, you don't by any chance live in California or another of the CARB states do you? I know that MB is bringing them into CA on a very limited basis (only a few and only for lease) so they must be legal. This would be a great way to get one and have a nice trip as well.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• Not sure we paid for the whole 18 days, but the 7% off put a real dent in the cost. Had we arrived, taken delivery, immediately dropped it off for shipment as some seem to, we would have come out well ahead.
  • No, I am in Florida and go back and forth to Maine, where the dealer could not sell us one. The 2008 E320 Blutec is not approved for CA and the other four states, says my Certificate of Origin. I believe that will change part way through this model year when the urea additive system is supposed to be added to the car as a "running change", although the Maine dealer told me he thought 2009. I don't know why the delay, as that system has been used in Europe for some time.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,338
    Thanks. I guess I will have to be patient (not my strongest suit).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• Is it your understanding that they will add the urea system to the 2007/2008 Bluetecs retroactively? Any idea on the cost?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    As far as I know, all "Bluetec" cars (Mercedes-Benz or otherwise) have a urea system.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Lately I've been having weird things happen to my '05 CDI. When I turn off the car to go inside the house, the engine shuts down, but everything electrical continues to run. The parking lights stay on, the heater fan & radio continue to run, dash lights, too.

When I get back into the car and restart the engine and turn off again, everything is good. This is happening about 1 out of every 10-15 times. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • I have recently changed my E300 TD for this E320 CDI whilst happy with the car in general I am not happy with the suspension over uneven road it appears to bottom out with heavy bumps which travels through out the car, and tyre noise over surface dressed roads make more noise than the radio, I had a new set of tyres which improved this by 20%, Mercedes garage says its normal with no faults to report, after paying $43700 in US money £21850 GBP I find it a bone shaker rather than a luxury saloon, I now wish I kept my old E300 TD which gave a much smoother ride on all road surfaces. Have anyone else had this problem.
  • nimhrodnimhrod Posts: 49
    My '05 was very noisy for a luxury sedan, until I changed tires. Big difference. I stuck with Michelin's. I've heard this from others, too.
  • madmarlinmadmarlin Posts: 29
    So, I currently drive a 2007 Infiniti G35. Gas mileage is absolutely killing me. Even with the current higher price of diesel, I make out like a bandit by making the switch. Been looking at 2005 and newer E-series diesels. Can a few of you longer time owners provide a little input in to your exepriences, both good an bad? Moreso about reliability and longevity (I like to keep cars for a long time, current G excepted....). I love my G. It is fun to drive with great sportiness and luxury. Tons of power and responsiveness, but with the poor mileage to go with it. If I were even getting in the low 20's I'd be happy. But, alas, it isn't to be.

Look forward to your input.
    You can't get much more reliable than a diesel. What can we say-

Pro
    1. I get 24-27 mpg mixed driving. 35-37 highway
    2. No smoke. No clack.
    3. Only smoke comes from the back tires when you take off the traction control. Gobs of torque. Within .10 second 0-60 of E350 V8

Con

1. Diesel used to be a bonus- better mileage AND the fuel was much cheaper than gas. We're being screwed by the oil companies. Diesel is much easier to produce than gas, but now that it's becoming more popular they find excuses to boost the price. They blame it on refineries being focused on making heating oil in the winter so they raise it then. Funny how they've been making heating oil for 100 years and it never affected the diesel price before???

2. The engine is great, but all the goodies on the car are often unreliable. I've had my Keyless Go in for repairs twice, and now it's on the fritz again. They tried to blame it on my tinted windows, supposedly, affectin the signal. Yeah. Don't most of the Florida MB's have tinted windows???

3. Turbo lag - Once it spools up,hang on. But I've almost been nailed trying to break into traffic and having the car drool forward for a second before chirping the tires.

4. Weird shifts. Sometimes, when I am pulling out from a parking lot onto the main road, the engine runs up and then BAM the tranny get all that juice. It only happens about once a month, but NOT something you'd expect from a MB! Dealer had the car several times and could not re-create. Go figure. Once you get used to these quirks, it's all good.

5. Not really a Con, but the factory tires, after being worn more than 3/4 are very loud. Too much road noise. My new Michelins were noticeably quieter the minute I left the garage. Costco is the place to go- free lifetime balance, rotation, road hazard.

Overall, I love the car. But feel MUCH better once I got an extended warranty (100k) to cover the rest of the car.
    Thanks for the input. About the extended warranty, i take it you are also in FL. Really can't shop around for these down here since they treat them as insurance policies. did you get yours through the dealer, or third party? That is something I am thinking about since I will probably buy a late model used depending on the mileage on the car.

Keep the feedback coming, guys!

Thanks.
    Actually in Virgina. Bought a third party warranty from JM&A. Good price and good reviews. Haven't had to use it yet, but will soon. Taking it in for Keyless Go problem again.

Personally, I'd stick with the CDI over the Bluetec. CDI has an inline 6, which according to others, is a stronger engine. Plus, I'm not real enthused about having to take a Bluetec in for regular urea? changes. It's just one more reason to for you to visit the dealer and pay for another maintenance item.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,900
    I agree with you. I would look for the older inline 6 CDI. Lots more stuff to go bad on the Blutec engine. I think they are a wonderful car especially out on the open road. I have a friend with a home here in San Diego and one in TX. He goes back and forth about once a month. Gets 37-38 MPG out across that hot desert with the AC blasting. Nothing can really compare to that. Comfort and great mileage. Even with diesel being escalated to discourage people from buying.
  • mbdickmbdick Posts: 7
    We have about 6500 miles on a 2008 E320 Bluetec and couldn't be more pleased. Most of the miles are city, and the overall is about 30 mpg, with 35-36 on the road. As the engine breaks in, mileage seems to be increasing. No smoke, no smell, slight increase in idle noise, wonderful pickup and performance - I'd buy another just like it in a minute! The only warranty glitch has been a bad key for keyless go. If you go down the MB path, consider European Delivery. It's a great experience and reduces the price about $4000 or enough to pay for a good part of a unique vacation.
  • hlcastelohlcastelo Posts: 37
    I have an 06 CDI will about 20,500 miles. No problems. Good pick up. Mileage is about 26 in the city with normal driving. Have obtained 35 in highway driving. New diesel fuel keeps black smoke to an absolute minimum. I believe gas mileage will be better with CDI vs. blue tech. Definitely recommend.
    consider European Delivery.

My wife and I seriously considered that. We wanted the ML320 CDI or the GL320 CDI and those are not built in Germany. We may still replace the 1990 Lexus with an E320 CDI. I really like the car from what I have read and seen.
    Thanks for the input, all. I'm looking at a couple of 2005's. Once has very low miles, the other has higher miles (around 38k), but is at a Mercedes dealer and is a certified pre-owned with the extended warranty as a result.

How accurate is the mileage indidcator on the dash? When I test drove the certified, it said average mileage was 22.4mpg, which seemed very odd. If that were truly the case, it defeats one of the main purposes for considering the car. Is that thing reliable?

Thanks again for the input. It's nice to see positive posts from owners.
    I would think that is accumulated with several different drivers and driving styles. Best thing to do with those is reset and then watch the mileage. Does it have an instant MPG reading. That is helpful in trying to optimize your mileage.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Have 25,000 mi on my 2005 E320 CDI. Have every possible option that was available at the time and nothing serious has happened 2005/6 CDI can use either the old or new diesel--not just the low sulpher. I believe that is a plus. Around town I get in the 27-29 mpg range and highway 35-37. Can get 39mpg if I am on inter state and do not go over 60 mph.
    This is my 7th MB diesel and have never had a major problem. By the way my tranny shifts very smoothly. Also have had many gas MB's but bought the CDI as this is my retiremrnt car. Go for it!!!!!!..
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    Love to buy a cdi in NY but can't.

I can register it to my beach condo in FL but can't get a 4-Matic unless I go back to a ML.

So, I'm stuck with my E wagon and S sedan. They both get 24.7 mpg on trips easily but now premium costs as much as 50 cents a gallon less than diesel.

Thanks for the reliability update on diesels.
  • mark155mark155 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Just bought 2006 E320 CDI, love it but need XM. Was told by dealer $1600 :(
    Which XM reciever did you buy at Best Buy?
    Is there an exterior antenna?
    Any visible wires?
    Does it communicate with the Command NAV system via FM signal?
    Thanks,
    Bought the "Roady xt". You should be able to buy for less than $50. Take out the ash tray and mount it there. It will fit easily and you can still close the ash tray door if you wish, Paid about $80-100 for the installation. Be sure to get the direct antenne modulator for better performance-about $ 25-30. It is hard wired in and my antenna is close to the window on the dash. My dash is black so you don't notice it.

My wife has a SLK350 with factory Sirius. It does not get sat signals as well as my XM. Make sure that you tell the installer that you want to have the lighter continue to be "hot" so you can use it for accessories--Cell phone etc.

Free advise. Make sure that you get the best tech that the installer has and ask him if has made this type of installation before. There should be no wires hanging out when all is done. This install has nothing to do with the nav system.
  • johnzajohnza Posts: 3
    Has anyone upgraded the stock 16 inch setup with a 17 inch or 18 inch tire/ wheel combo? I am very interested in this car, but it felt a bit mushy when I drove it. (I did not expect it to be a sports sedan). Is it the 16 inch setup or the suspension as a whole. I am used to a "heavier " ride as I own a CLK and
    a 911 s. Comments? Thank You.
    I am planning to upgrade to 17" set up very soon. Have been looking at Tirerack wheels. Am going to stop at TR within 30 days to look at wheels personally. Planning on putting on Bridgestone 960 AS 245/45/17 tires. There is also a $100 rebate on these tires through MB club. BTW Have 2005 CDI
    Ok, I'm down to a 2005 CDI loaded with NAV. Certified preowned. They want $32,500. Deal looks good. Can I REALLY count on the reliability?
  • roberts5roberts5 Posts: 34
    My 2005 Acura TL was recently flooded and now I am looking for a replacement. With the gas prices going through the roof, I am looking for a sports/ classy car with excellent power and good gas/diesel milage. What advancements do the newer Bluetec offer over the pre-Bluetec vehicles? Is the price of diesel worth the investment over gas? I was thinking about Lexus, but their hybrid does not get the mpg hoped for. I appreciate your input. Thanks
    If you can find a low mileage 2005 E320 CDI. It is the older inline 6. It does not have all the added things to go wrong. The Blutec is a V6 which may or may not be as good. They both seem to be getting great mileage. My friends 05 E320 CDI gets consistent 37 MPG on trips to and from TX to CA.
  • johnzajohnza Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 e 320 bluetec. I just turned 1000 miles on the odometer. It is a joy to drive! Plenty of power, smooth, QUIET, and so far great mileage. 26.4 average, 33 max on hwy at 60. ( with a/c) I normally drive 70-75, am getting 30-30.5mpg at that rate. I hope that it will increase as the mileage on the car increases as some of the other drivers are reporting. ULSD is everywhere in the midwest. I am paying about 9- 10 % more than premium- (all of my cars use premium) and am increasing by mileage 30-35 %- at worse 20% improvement in economy, at best 25%. I am very happy with the purchase.