Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• roland3roland3 Member Posts: 431
    ... Marsha, also there are many vehicles on the road with no seperation systems at all. The filter(s) actually will not pass water (that is not in solution, very small trace) and it is a good idea to carry a spare filter. I believe the newer cars have sealed tank/fuel systems and condensation does not seem to be much of a problem. On a boat it's a good idea to drain a small amount of fuel out of the filter or low spot in the fuel system every day; unless you have a seperatin unit with a sight glass. Any water is readily visiable in a small cup.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    When I took my 2005 CDI in for service the dealer replaced my fuel hoses. No problems.
  • nimhrodnimhrod Member Posts: 49
    Was just one leaking or several? Did they replace them all as a preventative measure or just the leaky ones?
    All I can tell you is that I don,t have any leaks. Never saw a leak before the change.
  • bazohimbabazohimba Member Posts: 14
    I've ordered a 2008 E 320 bluetech, and I'm curious about the price of the Extended Warranty, both when purchasing the car, and getting bids from other MB dealers. Also what amount of difference in service and cost of independent companies warranties??
    After calling numerous MB dealers for extended warranty pricing, I've come to one conclusion- buy it early in your new car's life. It's much cheaper to buy it with low miles.

I ended up buying an aftermarket warranty from JM&A. They were rated #1 in JD Power ratings. Buy the Platinum coverage. You don't have to worry about what's not covered- they have a list of what is not covered. And if it's not on that list it's covered!

I paid about $3,000 for three extra years and up to 98,000 miles. A bargain compared to other warranties for cars with 48,000 miles already on them.
  • dorenhagendorenhagen Member Posts: 2
    Just drove it back from Chicago and actual measured mileage reflected computer calculated mileage of 39.4 MPG @ 70 MPH. This little sweetheart only had 14,500 miles and was in perfect condition. Couldn't be happier.

What are the know problems with this car to be on alert for?

Thanks.
  • vl39vl39 Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone pass along their fuel mileage experience on a 2007 or 2008 Blue Tec.
  • mbdickmbdick Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I took European Delivery of a 2008 E320 Blutec in late September and drove 1500 mi from Stuttgart through Austria, Switzerland, Italy and France before dropping car in Nice for shipment home. (Great experience, highly recommended, MB really took care of us in Sindlefingen). On three fill-ups of mixed highway and local/city driving we had 36.7mpg, 32.5mpg, 34.5mpg. I kept highway down to about 65mph and we didn't use the air conditioner much. My guess is that when the car is broken in we'll see 37+ highway. We were thoroughly pleased with the car, our sixth MB, and look forward to its arrival.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the Forum.
    That sounds like a great way to buy a Mercedes. Keep us posted after it gets to the US. Did you save enough of the European delivery to pay for the trip?
  • dorenhagendorenhagen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I bought an '05 CDI with 14K miles in June. Mileage figures: on the highway at 65 - 70 MPH I get 40 mpg. In the city I get 30 mpg. I drive very conservatively however.

For example, I am able to nurse about 17 mpg out of my '07 Wrangler in the city!! No small feat.

Thanks for the answer! I LOVE my diesel Mercedes.

I do wonder why diesel fuel is so much more however. When I bought my CDI diesel was $1 LESS per gallon in Chicago.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Just on an off-chance, you don't by any chance live in California or another of the CARB states do you? I know that MB is bringing them into CA on a very limited basis (only a few and only for lease) so they must be legal. This would be a great way to get one and have a nice trip as well.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Not sure we paid for the whole 18 days, but the 7% off put a real dent in the cost. Had we arrived, taken delivery, immediately dropped it off for shipment as some seem to, we would have come out well ahead.
    No, I am in Florida and go back and forth to Maine, where the dealer could not sell us one. The 2008 E320 Blutec is not approved for CA and the other four states, says my Certificate of Origin. I believe that will change part way through this model year when the urea additive system is supposed to be added to the car as a "running change", although the Maine dealer told me he thought 2009. I don't know why the delay, as that system has been used in Europe for some time.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Thanks. I guess I will have to be patient (not my strongest suit).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• sullyaksullyak Member Posts: 30
    Is it your understanding that they will add the urea system to the 2007/2008 Bluetecs retroactively? Any idea on the cost?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    As far as I know, all "Bluetec" cars (Mercedes-Benz or otherwise) have a urea system.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Lately I've been having weird things happen to my '05 CDI. When I turn off the car to go inside the house, the engine shuts down, but everything electrical continues to run. The parking lights stay on, the heater fan & radio continue to run, dash lights, too.

When I get back into the car and restart the engine and turn off again, everything is good. This is happening about 1 out of every 10-15 times. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • somersetuksomersetuk Member Posts: 1
    I have recently changed my E300 TD for this E320 CDI whilst happy with the car in general I am not happy with the suspension over uneven road it appears to bottom out with heavy bumps which travels through out the car, and tyre noise over surface dressed roads make more noise than the radio, I had a new set of tyres which improved this by 20%, Mercedes garage says its normal with no faults to report, after paying $43700 in US money £21850 GBP I find it a bone shaker rather than a luxury saloon, I now wish I kept my old E300 TD which gave a much smoother ride on all road surfaces. Have anyone else had this problem.
    My '05 was very noisy for a luxury sedan, until I changed tires. Big difference. I stuck with Michelin's. I've heard this from others, too.
  • madmarlinmadmarlin Member Posts: 29
    So, I currently drive a 2007 Infiniti G35. Gas mileage is absolutely killing me. Even with the current higher price of diesel, I make out like a bandit by making the switch. Been looking at 2005 and newer E-series diesels. Can a few of you longer time owners provide a little input in to your exepriences, both good an bad? Moreso about reliability and longevity (I like to keep cars for a long time, current G excepted....). I love my G. It is fun to drive with great sportiness and luxury. Tons of power and responsiveness, but with the poor mileage to go with it. If I were even getting in the low 20's I'd be happy. But, alas, it isn't to be.

Look forward to your input.
    You can't get much more reliable than a diesel. What can we say-

Pro
    1. I get 24-27 mpg mixed driving. 35-37 highway
    2. No smoke. No clack.
    3. Only smoke comes from the back tires when you take off the traction control. Gobs of torque. Within .10 second 0-60 of E350 V8

Con

1. Diesel used to be a bonus- better mileage AND the fuel was much cheaper than gas. We're being screwed by the oil companies. Diesel is much easier to produce than gas, but now that it's becoming more popular they find excuses to boost the price. They blame it on refineries being focused on making heating oil in the winter so they raise it then. Funny how they've been making heating oil for 100 years and it never affected the diesel price before???

2. The engine is great, but all the goodies on the car are often unreliable. I've had my Keyless Go in for repairs twice, and now it's on the fritz again. They tried to blame it on my tinted windows, supposedly, affectin the signal. Yeah. Don't most of the Florida MB's have tinted windows???

3. Turbo lag - Once it spools up,hang on. But I've almost been nailed trying to break into traffic and having the car drool forward for a second before chirping the tires.

4. Weird shifts. Sometimes, when I am pulling out from a parking lot onto the main road, the engine runs up and then BAM the tranny get all that juice. It only happens about once a month, but NOT something you'd expect from a MB! Dealer had the car several times and could not re-create. Go figure. Once you get used to these quirks, it's all good.

5. Not really a Con, but the factory tires, after being worn more than 3/4 are very loud. Too much road noise. My new Michelins were noticeably quieter the minute I left the garage. Costco is the place to go- free lifetime balance, rotation, road hazard.

Overall, I love the car. But feel MUCH better once I got an extended warranty (100k) to cover the rest of the car.
    Thanks for the input. About the extended warranty, i take it you are also in FL. Really can't shop around for these down here since they treat them as insurance policies. did you get yours through the dealer, or third party? That is something I am thinking about since I will probably buy a late model used depending on the mileage on the car.

Keep the feedback coming, guys!

Thanks.
    Actually in Virgina. Bought a third party warranty from JM&A. Good price and good reviews. Haven't had to use it yet, but will soon. Taking it in for Keyless Go problem again.

Personally, I'd stick with the CDI over the Bluetec. CDI has an inline 6, which according to others, is a stronger engine. Plus, I'm not real enthused about having to take a Bluetec in for regular urea? changes. It's just one more reason to for you to visit the dealer and pay for another maintenance item.
    I agree with you. I would look for the older inline 6 CDI. Lots more stuff to go bad on the Blutec engine. I think they are a wonderful car especially out on the open road. I have a friend with a home here in San Diego and one in TX. He goes back and forth about once a month. Gets 37-38 MPG out across that hot desert with the AC blasting. Nothing can really compare to that. Comfort and great mileage. Even with diesel being escalated to discourage people from buying.
    We have about 6500 miles on a 2008 E320 Bluetec and couldn't be more pleased. Most of the miles are city, and the overall is about 30 mpg, with 35-36 on the road. As the engine breaks in, mileage seems to be increasing. No smoke, no smell, slight increase in idle noise, wonderful pickup and performance - I'd buy another just like it in a minute! The only warranty glitch has been a bad key for keyless go. If you go down the MB path, consider European Delivery. It's a great experience and reduces the price about $4000 or enough to pay for a good part of a unique vacation.
  • hlcastelohlcastelo Member Posts: 45
    I have an 06 CDI will about 20,500 miles. No problems. Good pick up. Mileage is about 26 in the city with normal driving. Have obtained 35 in highway driving. New diesel fuel keeps black smoke to an absolute minimum. I believe gas mileage will be better with CDI vs. blue tech. Definitely recommend.
    consider European Delivery.

My wife and I seriously considered that. We wanted the ML320 CDI or the GL320 CDI and those are not built in Germany. We may still replace the 1990 Lexus with an E320 CDI. I really like the car from what I have read and seen.
    Thanks for the input, all. I'm looking at a couple of 2005's. Once has very low miles, the other has higher miles (around 38k), but is at a Mercedes dealer and is a certified pre-owned with the extended warranty as a result.

How accurate is the mileage indidcator on the dash? When I test drove the certified, it said average mileage was 22.4mpg, which seemed very odd. If that were truly the case, it defeats one of the main purposes for considering the car. Is that thing reliable?

Thanks again for the input. It's nice to see positive posts from owners.
    I would think that is accumulated with several different drivers and driving styles. Best thing to do with those is reset and then watch the mileage. Does it have an instant MPG reading. That is helpful in trying to optimize your mileage.
    Have 25,000 mi on my 2005 E320 CDI. Have every possible option that was available at the time and nothing serious has happened 2005/6 CDI can use either the old or new diesel--not just the low sulpher. I believe that is a plus. Around town I get in the 27-29 mpg range and highway 35-37. Can get 39mpg if I am on inter state and do not go over 60 mph.
    This is my 7th MB diesel and have never had a major problem. By the way my tranny shifts very smoothly. Also have had many gas MB's but bought the CDI as this is my retiremrnt car. Go for it!!!!!!..
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Love to buy a cdi in NY but can't.

I can register it to my beach condo in FL but can't get a 4-Matic unless I go back to a ML.

So, I'm stuck with my E wagon and S sedan. They both get 24.7 mpg on trips easily but now premium costs as much as 50 cents a gallon less than diesel.

Thanks for the reliability update on diesels.
  • mark155mark155 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Just bought 2006 E320 CDI, love it but need XM. Was told by dealer $1600 :(
    Which XM reciever did you buy at Best Buy?
    Is there an exterior antenna?
    Any visible wires?
    Does it communicate with the Command NAV system via FM signal?
    Thanks,
    Bought the "Roady xt". You should be able to buy for less than $50. Take out the ash tray and mount it there. It will fit easily and you can still close the ash tray door if you wish, Paid about $80-100 for the installation. Be sure to get the direct antenne modulator for better performance-about $ 25-30. It is hard wired in and my antenna is close to the window on the dash. My dash is black so you don't notice it.

My wife has a SLK350 with factory Sirius. It does not get sat signals as well as my XM. Make sure that you tell the installer that you want to have the lighter continue to be "hot" so you can use it for accessories--Cell phone etc.

Free advise. Make sure that you get the best tech that the installer has and ask him if has made this type of installation before. There should be no wires hanging out when all is done. This install has nothing to do with the nav system.
  • johnzajohnza Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone upgraded the stock 16 inch setup with a 17 inch or 18 inch tire/ wheel combo? I am very interested in this car, but it felt a bit mushy when I drove it. (I did not expect it to be a sports sedan). Is it the 16 inch setup or the suspension as a whole. I am used to a "heavier " ride as I own a CLK and
    a 911 s. Comments? Thank You.
    I am planning to upgrade to 17" set up very soon. Have been looking at Tirerack wheels. Am going to stop at TR within 30 days to look at wheels personally. Planning on putting on Bridgestone 960 AS 245/45/17 tires. There is also a $100 rebate on these tires through MB club. BTW Have 2005 CDI
    Ok, I'm down to a 2005 CDI loaded with NAV. Certified preowned. They want $32,500. Deal looks good. Can I REALLY count on the reliability?
  • roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    My 2005 Acura TL was recently flooded and now I am looking for a replacement. With the gas prices going through the roof, I am looking for a sports/ classy car with excellent power and good gas/diesel milage. What advancements do the newer Bluetec offer over the pre-Bluetec vehicles? Is the price of diesel worth the investment over gas? I was thinking about Lexus, but their hybrid does not get the mpg hoped for. I appreciate your input. Thanks
    If you can find a low mileage 2005 E320 CDI. It is the older inline 6. It does not have all the added things to go wrong. The Blutec is a V6 which may or may not be as good. They both seem to be getting great mileage. My friends 05 E320 CDI gets consistent 37 MPG on trips to and from TX to CA.
    I have a 2008 e 320 bluetec. I just turned 1000 miles on the odometer. It is a joy to drive! Plenty of power, smooth, QUIET, and so far great mileage. 26.4 average, 33 max on hwy at 60. ( with a/c) I normally drive 70-75, am getting 30-30.5mpg at that rate. I hope that it will increase as the mileage on the car increases as some of the other drivers are reporting. ULSD is everywhere in the midwest. I am paying about 9- 10 % more than premium- (all of my cars use premium) and am increasing by mileage 30-35 %- at worse 20% improvement in economy, at best 25%. I am very happy with the purchase.
    I imagine your highway mileage will improve. A 2006 yields 35-37 consistently on the highway with a/c 65 to 70mph. City mileage is about 27 on average. Understand Bluetec is about a mile or so less due to new technology.
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! The electronics will cause you to make regular visits 1-2 times a month. The AC system smells like gym socks. The brake system is hopelessly over-engineered and has had many recalls. And then when you are out of warranty, WOWEE! What costs!!! Oh yeah, the transmission has problems along with the radiator too.
    Buy something you can drive, unless you like driving loan cars.
    I assume your diesel E320 has spent more time in the shop than on the road? Have you documented all the problems and told them you want your car replaced under the "Lemon Law"?

I cannot think of a car that I would rather drive cross country. Plus nothing comes close for mileage in its class.
  • snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    :)

Don't pay any attention to what "he" says!

I don't think he owns a MBZ diesel so how would he know? :confuse:

He just joined a couple of days ago, and already has posted
    7 postings, all negative no matter what the subject.

Are you thinking of getting another late model MBZ diesel yourself?

As a side note, what happened to the TDI? Why did you sell it? :(

:D
    I bought and sold the Passat TDI to just see what the market in CA would bear. I made $3000 and drove it for 13 months. I liked some things and did not like others. It sits too low for me. I like a little more clearance driving on rough roads. And I like the ease of getting in and out of a higher vehicle. If I get another TDI it will probably be an SUV of sorts. I think the Sportwagon will be low like the Passat Wagon.

I do want to give the GL320 CDI another shot. The one I drove was used and the transmission would down shift when you let off the gas (diesel). It may have been a programming issue. That and the dealer wanted about $12k over MSRP with 12k miles. He did sell it so some folks are easier than I am. With the X5 35D coming on the market and the Q7 diesel there will be some choices for me soon. Overall I like driving my Sequoia. I would prefer the torque of a diesel and the MPG advantage. This filling every 350 miles is a joke with the Sequoia.

PS
    I figured the guy for a troll. That usually gets rid of them.
    I am thinking of renewing lease and moving from CDI to Blue Tec. I have overheard of problems with both BTEC and some Chrylser diesels more related to improper mixture of the low sulfur fuels at the local gas stations. I heard Chrysler is buying back vehicles. Has anyone with BTEC had a similar problem? Any recall or extensive warranty repairs? Appreciate your feedback.
    My take on the posts indicating MBBluetec troubles is that they are not mainstream or indicative of anything systemic. I have a 2008 E320 Bluetec with 6500 miles on it and love it - no troubles at all with the diesel or the emission system and great to drive. Mileage is about 30 average and 36 highway, and it sure is great to have 750+ mile range. The urea injection system due to be on the 2009 models is an add-on to meet the California regs, and I believe is equipment downstream of the engine, but it's been in use in Europe for several years. The MB mechanics I have talked to also love this engine. Haven't heard and can't comment on Chrysler. I'd buy another E320 Bluetec in a minute.
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    With a 750 mile range, I would think it equally important that the car come with a urea ejection system.
    I just turned 2100 miles on my 08 bluetec. It is interesting to watch the mileage increase. Last highway trip, 800 plus miles, 33.1 mpg at 70-75! My overall average is skewed, 29.5 Note, this car has great performance. It will accelerate to 90 from 65 or 70 easily and quickly.

Love the car, would purchase again tomorrow.
  • born2boatborn2boat Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 with about 1200 miles. At 55 mph it got 42 mpg, at 65 mph it got 36 and at 90 mph it got 32 mpg! Its a great car with far more power than I ever though possible out of a diesel and I have had lots of diesels. So far I would buy another without a second thought.